Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #1681
QZ1

Whole House Premium Access?

Yep.

So, I want to get an S3 for an A/O.

Now, I have a question regarding the new prices that just went into effect as of January 1 in many areas.

Looking at our price list, a few items from last year are not there; but 'HD box' has to still exist, as does 'Digital Classic/Plus A/O'.

But, one item, 'Whole House Premium Access' $5, I am not so sure about.
(A CSR told me they weren't familiar with this, but they weren't local.)

Those of you with new prices, that get a Premium, and receive it on all outlets, and had a 'Whole House Premium Access' fee of $5 in '06:

Did you get a bill that only covers January '07 yet, and if so, is this fee still there?
QZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #1682
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

QZ1,
You should realize that every Comcast franchise out there (seemingly) has a different set of rates and a different set of charges. Nobody who's not in your franchise can tell you whether your charges are correct, and you can't tell anybody else for sure what their charges are - all you can do is tell general trends. (Eg, your dollar figures and titles in your previous message to nlowhor are wrong for his/her area, but the general philosophy of what is charged for is correct, assuming you just had a typo and meant no extra fee for the included box.)
Old 01-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #1683
QZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
QZ1,
You should realize that every Comcast franchise out there (seemingly) has a different set of rates and a different set of charges. Nobody who's not in your franchise can tell you whether your charges are correct, and you can't tell anybody else for sure what their charges are - all you can do is tell general trends. (Eg, your dollar figures and titles in your previous message to nlowhor are wrong for his/her area, but the general philosophy of what is charged for is correct, assuming you just had a typo and meant no extra fee for the included box.)
Yes, I am aware that every franchise is different, but indeed, as you say, there are trends.
And as time has gone by, I am noticing that Comcast is seemingly going towards standardizing A/Os/access fees and STB/CC fees, at least in their application.

Furthermore, I have seen the prices are usually the same or at least very close.
I ask for others' application of fees, so that when I contact them I will be fairly certain of what to expect to pay for a secondary TV. If it turns out to be incorrect, then so be it.

That line you mention should have read, 'As for Addtl Outlets, the CC replaces the included box, so a CC is included for no extra fee.'

I am also aware that the included box (or CC, if one chooses) in reality is a non-itemized fee of $4.15 here. (This price is listed for a Digital box for a la carte premiums)

And therefore when one nominally pays $5 for HD box or $11.95 for a DVR, those are upgrade fees over the $4.15 Digital Box.

A CC we now know is not worth $4.15, rather it is $1.50. (This, of course, is the fee for a second CC in one device.)
Of course, many of us were aware that a CC was less costly than a Digital box, but now we see it is quite a difference.
QZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #1684
nlowhor

MD rates

CrispyCritter,

It appears we are in the same area(I'm in Germantown, MD) so I would assume we have the same prices/rules. Do you agree that at least Digital Classic is necessary to receive the variety HD channels(ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, etc.)? I was really hoping to avoid that extra $9.95 fee but can't do w/o those channels.

Thanks!
nlowhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #1685
WebG

Atlanta GA.

Comcast tech came out (luckily brought 2 cards with him, as he had not completely read the order beforehand and was only planning on bringing one).

Installed the cards, took about 15 minutes total. No problem at all.
WebG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #1686
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

No Cable Guy = :( - OTA works = :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER
... Edit #2: 3:00 and still no Cable Guy or call.
First thing this morning I had the Lifetime Service switched over to the S3 from the old S2 - took all of 5 minutes w/ TiVo. I then setup the TiVo until the 'Cable Card' prompt awaiting the Cable Guy. I thought it better to be ready than have to make them wait around any longer than necessary.

[insert 5 hr wait time for the cable guy to show here]

So I called @ 3 to see what the status was, since I didn't receive a courtesy call...
The employee said that the installer tried to call me @ 2 to let me know that there were no CCs available from their warehouse (no call rec'd on my end).
She put me on hold to see what the availability is and when I can expect to get them.

She came back with a new Appt on Monday between 11-2 ( a day before my new TV arrives - Panny TH-50PH9UK). Wish me luck.

After learning that there was gonna be no cable guy, I decided to stick my 10 yr old rabbit ears onto the TiVo and go for broke. Needless to say I was surprised by being able to pull the big 4 Networks (ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC - that's all I was concerned with anyway).
Old 01-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #1687
garys

As far as Comcast Fresno, yikes. I was reluctant to even try to activate a series 3 with cable cards based on these posts, and I've got to say the nay-sayers were right.

First, I called Comcast's 800 number. They told me to drive to the comcast office (15 miles away) and pick up the cable cards. I drove down there, waited almost an hour in line, and when I got to the front was told "we don't stock cable cards here, you'll have to have an installer come out."

Fast forward now 3 days to today. The installer shows up, plugs the cards in, and tells me thats all he can do and I have to call Tivo to activate them. He said that Comcast had nothing further to do with the cards getting activated -- despite the fact that the Tivo's screen was showing comcast's number and saying to contact the cable company. He then left.

I called the number, waited on hold, and had the customer service rep "hit" the cable cards. I was told to check in 20 minutes and they would be active. Waited 30 minutes, still not active.

I called Comcast again and they got all my information and then said a supervisor needed to activate the cards. I waited on hold for 15 minutes for a supervisor. Then a non-supervisor came back on the line and said no supervisor was available and they would call me back.

So now I'm here waiting for a call from a comcast supervisor.

My thought? I can return this thing via UPS to Amazon.com tomorrow, get my money back, and stick with my comcast DVR. Yes, the comcast DVR sucks, but its a lot better than a black screen on the TIVO saying "contact your cable company" to activate the dvr. Its either activated today or going back to the seller tomorrow.

It seems wrong that Comcast can keep making money renting DVRs while at the same time giving such bad customer service with cable cards that people are unable to switch to their competitors. But I'm not looking to make some kind of political stand, I just want to be able to record TV in HD. And Comcast's box does that, Tivo's (thanks to comcast's incompetency) does not.

Anyhow, still a few hours left in the day. Hopefully they get back to me, activate my cards, and I can keep my tivo.
garys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #1688
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys
...Fast forward now 3 days to today...Its either activated today or going back to the seller tomorrow.
3 days? It took me over a month and I am so glad I persisted. With Comcast you really just have to change the threshold of what is minimal customer service and go with the flow. But that is just my thought. Do what feels right. By the way, what sort of data was on the black screen? Did he plug one card in and then wait for the black screen to pop up without messing with the remote before inserting the second one? If not you should redo the installation. It is OK to call them both in at the same time but the TiVo needs to find the cards one at a time without intervention. Good Luck!
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:17 AM   #1689
garys

So Comcast still hasn't figured this our (4 customer service phone calls, hit the cards 4 times). They're sending out a technician on Sunday. The only reason I can imagine as to why Comcast makes this so difficult is to make people give up and keep their DVR. Which has, frankly, pretty much worked on me. If its not running when UPS opens for shipments, my Series 3 is getting shipped back for a refund. Because I just can't deal with having to have Comcast on my speed dial.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:41 AM   #1690
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
If its not running when UPS opens for shipments, my Series 3 is getting shipped back for a refund. Because I just can't deal with having to have Comcast on my speed dial.
Setting such an ultimatum will anger the electronics gods and will most certainly gaurantee defeat. The right attitude to have is "I will stay with this for as long as is necessary to get it working". Once you have accepted your fate, the right answers will surely come... It is not comcast that is causing your pain. It is your resistance that is causing your pain.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #1691
garys

The thing is, the Tivo is supposed to make things MORE convenient. For something like doing my job, I will stay with things as long as necessary to do them right. For something that is intended simply to make my HDTV viewing easier, knowing the comcast people on a first name basis is not making anything easier. I've had Tivo since my early Series 1. I've recommended it to more people than I can count. But for $800 plus subscription fees, the thing should walk into the house on its own and install itself.

Plus, plugged into straight cable without cable cards, the series 3 is unbearably slow browsing menus. Compared to the Series 2, its a major downgrade. Weird.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:58 AM   #1692
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The thing is, the Tivo is supposed to make things MORE convenient. For something like doing my job, I will stay with things as long as necessary to do them right. For something that is intended simply to make my HDTV viewing easier, knowing the comcast people on a first name basis is not making anything easier. I've had Tivo since my early Series 1. I've recommended it to more people than I can count. But for $800 plus subscription fees, the thing should walk into the house on its own and install itself.

Plus, plugged into straight cable without cable cards, the series 3 is unbearably slow browsing menus. Compared to the Series 2, its a major downgrade. Weird.
Hey I feel your pain. Thing is I've gone through similar pain with every major upgrade to my system. Putting in my first HDTV was a MAJOR pain in the arse... I've always had to fine tune and work things out to get it all up and running to my satisfaction. Once it's all debugged you will tend to forget you ever had any problems initially. That's the hope for you. It CAN work well, but it's like voo-doo. They may get it working right the very next time they come. Just tell them to bring a few extra cards with them be prepared to wait it out. Took my 2 Tivos about 7 cards before they got it all working. Now it's pretty much like any other TiVo I've owned although I agree it does take it longer to populate lists and to initiate recordings from the guide. I expect that will be addressed in future upgrades.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #1693
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala
can you link to this on their site? i'll look some more...
Its in their FAQ http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2540 near the bottom it says:

Comcast is happy to provide you with a Digital Cable box at no additional charge for your primary cable outlet.*

Though their version of "free" seems to be to try to charge you for an additional digital outlet.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 AM   #1694
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
So Comcast still hasn't figured this our (4 customer service phone calls, hit the cards 4 times). They're sending out a technician on Sunday.
Print out the Cable Card installation instructions and have the TiVo ready at step 4 and don't let them deviate unless they have successfully installed on an S3 before.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #1695
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb
It is not comcast that is causing your pain. It is your resistance that is causing your pain.
Oh, it's Comcast all right.

But anyone considering giving up should remember that the temporary inconvenience of dealing with Comast is nothing like the permanent inconvenience of using their DVR instead of TiVo. (Spoken by someone who bought an S3 the first day and still doesn't have it working completely.)
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #1696
aaronwt
HD Addict

Well my 4 cable cards are finally working. They've been in my S3s for a few weeks now. The tech gave the info to the person at the head end and they hit one card at a time for authorization. All the cards came up. They didn't need to be removed.
Although Comcast needs some work. I talked with 4 people over a couple of weeks before someone told me to talk to the cablecard group. Then when I talked with them and gave them all the correct info it still wasn't working. The tech today told me that none of the info they had was correct. It was just a matter of Comcast putting in the correct info which I had from Day1 but you have to get someone that knows what they are doing.
Unfortunately they didn't bring another pair of cards for my third S3. They added them to my bill but never put down on the work order for them to be installed so I need to waste another Saturday morning to get those installed.
Now If I can somehow get them to change the billing so they aren't charging me $4.95 per card.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #1697
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just finished talking with Comcast about what I was told was a CC fee of $4.95 per card. Now I'm told that the $19.80 on my bill is not for the four cable cards but for the two additional TV outlets(the first outlet is supposedly free) I'm using with digital service. They said I was not being charged for the Cable cards so supposedly adding the 5th and 6th Cable cards will not increase my bill any. Not what I was looking for but as long as my bill will stay the same with 6 cards I guess that will be fine. What choice do I have anyway.
Hopefully they will finish upgrading this area within the next couple of months so they will be able to add several more HD channels and phone service.
If they would add HDNet and HDNet movies that would be great and it would allow me to completely drop DirecTV.
But has Comcast added the HDNet channels anywhere in the country?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #1698
printis

I had many of the problems with Comcast that others of you had. I had to challenge many pricing plans (fortunately, someone from Oakland posted a message with the $1.50 for the 2nd card info). This thread got me through most of my problems with Comcast.

It took three days to get my new series 3 working with both cable cards. I will keep this short. As some of you know, to activate the card, the installer needs to talk to someone in their office on the other end of the connection. They exchange a series of numbers. One was my cards' serial numbers. The person at Comcast entered the wrong number for my second cable card.

Of course the card could not be activated. For two days, every attempt by me to suggest that I read the numbers on my series 3, just to compare things was ignored. They kept saying that it would do no good. Instead, Comcast sent out an installer who says, "Hey, the serial number in your records does not match the one on my form!". SIGH

I think Comcast is using us for practise. We are debugging their adminstrative processes!
printis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #1699
jonman21

So today was the big day of a Comcast tech bringing two cablecards into my home for my now 2-week-old TiVo Series 3.

And I figured I should post my success story to bring hope to all of you out there who are still waiting for setups!

The guy was nice and friendly - but when I asked him if he had any experience with Tivo Series3s, he said this was his first time - but that his buddies had been installing a lot, and that he'd call one of his buddies on his NexTel.

I was nervous, especially when the guy on the other side of the NexTel said to ignore the TiVo instructions and just pop both cards in at once - and call in the Host/Data #s to Dispatch.

"Uh oh," I thought.

It took a couple of minutes to wait for the cards to be recognized by the Tivo -- we just stared at the "Waiting to Start" screen -- and then voila, the Host/Data #s appeared. Phew...

He called dispatch, they entered the numbers for both cards into their system, and then told the tech to wait a few minutes as the cards download the information for which channels I subscribe to.

About 5 minutes later, TiVo pops up with the 161-4 error screen, and thanks to this message board, I tell the tech that this is a good error and that this just means I don't subscribe to all channels. He's surprised that I know this stuff, hah.

Anyway, we test channels for CableCard #1 and every channel is a black screen. Uh oh...but fear not, we moved onto CableCard #2 - all channels worked, including the HDs and HBO-HD. And by the time we got back to testing CableCard #1, all of those channels worked too.

Smooth sailing for the most part...total time for installation was about 30 minutes. Most of that was just waiting for Dispatch to respond to the tech's requests.

Now I can finally enjoy guide data for my HD channels, yay! :-)
jonman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #1700
seattle_s3

Another successful self-install in Seattle

I received my S3 for Christmas. Went to the Comcast office and picked up 2 cablecards. I asked if I needed to call to activate and was told no. Waited until the weekend and started the install. Went through the setup and installed one card. The setup screen provided the card numbers and instructed me to call to activate. I phoned comcast and said I needed to activate two cablecards. The tech asked if I had a Tivo S3. She started walking me through the complete install (they must be trained on the S3). She said install both cards and then read her the numbers. She said everything went through fine and all should work. I tried testing the channels on card 1. After a minute she said it might take up to five minutes to work. So, I trusted everything would work and thanked her for the great service. After a few more minutes on the aquiring channel screen, I started to worry. I tried with card 2 and same result. Then I noticed that I never connected the cable connection (DAH, I spent too much time on this forum reading about cablecard problems). I connected the cable and same situation. Called back comcast and they sent new signals to the cards. About a minute later both cards got all channels.

So far, everything is working great. Already recorded a few HD programs. Picture and sound are great...as expected.

Oh, no mention of the price of the cards when I picked them up. However, I did read the rate sheet and it said first card is free and second card on same device is $1.50/month. I'll have to wait and see what I get billed.
seattle_s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:03 AM   #1701
subat0mic

Angry failed attempt at install in San Francisco...

san francisco presidio / (marina / pacheights) area...

$19 install
free 1st card
1.50 2nd card + $6 monthly charge added
HD package was "required" (i forget what this cost)...

A failed install happened this morning.
2 guys came. One had never done cable card before and mentioned how he'd never seen anyone with a Tivo3. I had to explain what the S3 was and why it's good and yes it does take cable card (unlike the S2) which was a question he had.

the 2nd guy had done a few TV cable card installs, but otherwise same story. never seen a tivo s3.

plug the cable into the tivo without cards. verified only one channel (81) was working... (big mistake...)

1st card goes in with power on. he calls in the serial, host and data numbers, and they claim to send a "hit". nothing. no error. testing channels stays stuck on the "acquiring channels" blue screen.

2nd card, same thing as 1st card... neither card works... we wait around for a 1/2 hr. nothing... the guys say they need to move on to other jobs, and give me their phone number to call them if it doesn't come on automatically in a couple hours... (I shouldn't have let them leave)

so, after calling comcast 5 times, and getting "hit" 4, and verifying over the phone that they do have the correct serial numbers on file.... -> nothing. stuck at the dreaded "blue screen of acquiring"...

I decide to take out the cable cards to check out analog cable (whee)... ch 81 is the only channel that works. the local station (KRON channel 4) here comes up white and snowy!!!!!

Seems like the installers didn't verify the analog signal, or (worse) maybe left the filter on the cable box outside. Like deer in headlights, I think they were distracted by the unknown that is the TivoS3... They completely forgot to verify we even had a cable signal!

I called comcast again with this new info and they're sending someone back in the morning between 8-12 to check it out...

The punch line to all this is... they came to install 1.) phone 2.) internet and 3.) cable. 1.) the phone number wasn't ready, so no phone today and 2.) I already had comcast internet and 3.) they left without cable working, but they disabled my DirecTV (cutting the wire). Somehow I've let these people into my house and all they did was sever my satellite connection and leave...

Last edited by subat0mic : 01-07-2007 at 02:08 AM. Reason: spelling
subat0mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:14 AM   #1702
subat0mic

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by murryamorris
I did the install myself but did tell them it was a Tivo S3 and they knew what I was talking about. The final CSR that sent a full reset signal to my second card said the steps they have listed for going through CC setup is a bit different on the Tivo. She was trying to give me instructions for a TV but as soon as I said, no, it's a S3 Tivo she changed to another manual and gave me different steps and resent a signal. Then it authorized fine. She was very good and knew her stuff, unlike the previous person I called at 2AM and she said you just plug in the cards and they will work (yeah, right).
So... could you describe the steps in this TivoS3 manual she read to you?
In case others here want to try the same?
i.e. I'm currently troubleshooting mine, and maybe this could help.
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #1703
rictus

Successful install here in Oakland, CA with Comcast. The tech said he had done a bunch of S3 installs, but didn't follow the instructions to the letter--he put both CableCards in before activating them, and didn't wait for the Test Channels on the first one to be successful. After waiting 5-10 minutes, though, everything sorted itself out.

The S3 didn't seem to know all the channels I receive--it got most of them (and asked me about the premiums), but skipped a few channels that I think got recently added to our packages (e.g. UHD). Otherwise everything seems to be working fine.

Last edited by rictus : 01-07-2007 at 09:22 PM.
rictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #1704
DirkSwizzler

Good install in Bellevue (King County) Washington. The tech had one card that wasn't in their records and couldn't be activated. But the other 3 (I also had one installed in a TV at the same time) worked fine. All 3 were Motorola version 4.21.

There was a problem though...

The tech told me that I might not get all the channels at first (and I didn't). I was missing 30-70 (that includes cartoon network, scifi, and comedy central) on my tivo all day. But was receiving HD channels just fine. On my tv I got all the 1-99 channels. And got some of the HD channels, but the HD channels weren't the right ones. I tried rebooting the tivo, repeating guided setup, nothing helped.

I finally called comcast this morning and explained the partial functionality. They sent a reset signal or something and said wait 5 minutes. I left the tivo alone for 15 just to be safe and when I came back it was working perfectly. Although my TV doesn't get the right HD channels still, but meh, I can still twiddle with that a bit. At least the tivo gets all the digital SD and HD channels correctly.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #1705
jonman21

Yeah, rictus -

The more I think about what I've read here, and now based on my own successful install experience - it seems like putting in both CableCards at the same time and having Comcast hit them both doesn't hurt the process at all.
jonman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #1706
subat0mic

Lightbulb don't use contractors, insist on real comcast techs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subat0mic
Seems like the installers didn't verify the analog signal, or (worse) maybe left the filter on the cable box outside. Like deer in headlights, I think they were distracted by the unknown that is the TivoS3... They completely forgot to verify we even had a cable signal!

I called comcast again with this new info and they're sending someone back in the morning between 8-12 to check it out...
This time they sent 2 comcast techs (yes, real ones, it was contractors before).
Again, neither has installed a Tivo S3 before, but both claimed to have done cable cards in TVs regularly (they claim that the cablecards are getting more and more popular!).

And yeah, the cable into my apartment did had a video filter on it at the outside cable box... (the contractors definately did _not_ test the signal!!!! )

They're fixing it as I type this. Fingers crossed....

Last edited by subat0mic : 01-07-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #1707
garys

Install done. Solution: Don't use a contractor

I finally got the DVR working with both cable cards. The contractor took forever and failed. The Comcast employee walked in, was friendly, and had it working within 15 minutes. Lesson: With new technology, insist that Comcast not send a contractor, but rather send a real employee.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #1708
subat0mic

Cool I get a picture now, woo! Don't use a contractor

Quote:
This time they sent real comcast techs (it was contractors before). Still neither has installed a Tivo S3 before, but both have done cable cards.

And yeah, the cable into the apartment had a video filter on it at the outside cable box... They're fixing it as I type this. Fingers crossed....
Tivo S3/comcast "works" now (well better at least)...
They didn't have to hit the cards for a picture to show,
but since they haven't been hit, they're only pulling in limited basic (the bottom basic analog channels)....
I am supposed to have Digital Plus (analog+digital channels, w/ basic and expanded, w/ HBO + stars)...

My status on both cablecards is "disconnected", and copy protected content is also "disabled"... I'm guessing this is just the default configuration since these cards haven't been "hit" before...

The limited basic (analog) HD channels (local HD channels) look really nice though. The techs say next year comcast is removing all analog channels to make way for more bandwith for new HD channels. woo!

They're "sending me a download" in the next 40 minutes... We'll see if my cards get the "hit" and start to grok the Digital Plus channel lineup...

(I can tell already, this was all worth it, tivo rocks).
If you can, get a comcast tech, and not a contractor!!!
This is my 2nd bad comcast contractor experience...
Old 01-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #1709
subat0mic

Angry cablecards will be screwed up if you pull them out

Quote:
Tivo S3/comcast "works" now (well better at least)...
They didn't have to hit the cards for a picture to show,
but since they haven't been hit, they're only pulling in limited basic (the bottom basic analog channels)....
I am supposed to have Digital Plus (analog+digital channels, w/ basic and expanded, w/ HBO + stars)...

My status on both cablecards is "disconnected", and copy protected content is also "disabled"... I'm guessing this is just the default configuration since these cards haven't been "hit" before...

They're "sending me a download" in the next 40 minutes... We'll see if my cards get the "hit" and start to grok the Digital Plus channel lineup...
ok, well, things are quite messed up here.
I still only have the bottom 30 channels.
My wife called comcast, and the CSR asked her to pull the cards and reboot (the person didn't "get it" that we had a tivo, kept asking my wife to turn off the TV).

around the same moment, comcast dispatch called to make sure their techs had got me running with a picture, and when I mentioned I hadn't and that my wife just pulled the cards - the guy on the phone says "uh oh, the cablecards will be messed up if you pull them out and put them back in...!!".... well that's not good...

...so he sends a 2nd hit to the cards, and nothing happens...

I now have a "first thing in the morning" scheduled appointment to get replacement cablecards.

whee... this sucks.

does anyone know how to reset the cablecards to factory default?
does this make sense, that pulling them out would screw them up?
is there anything I can do to fix this myself?

Last edited by subat0mic : 01-07-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #1710
subat0mic

how to reset cablecards

Quote:
does anyone know how to reset the cablecards to factory default?
does this make sense, that pulling them out would screw them up?
is there anything I can do to fix this myself?

googling, here's some neat links:

How to reset cablecards:
http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/#reset

What you should expect to see in your cablecard configuration:
http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/#ccconfig

Apparently, I can reset them myself, then call up a CSR and, if they're competent, they can hook me up on their end... We'll see. Will try this soon...

Last edited by subat0mic : 01-07-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: added a title...