TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-23-2006, 04:03 AM   #1291
monbri1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdst22
Ok, I'm trying very hard to avoid another visit by Comcast and I've tried searching the forums but since I couldn't find any similar problems I thought I'd post my problem.

The first time Comcast came out, they screwed up and only brought one cable card. So he just installed that one which went fine with no problems and I could receive all of my digital channels as well as HBO.

Then a week or so later (today) I had another appointment for them to bring out my second cable card (they wouldn't let me pick it up, don't get me started on that one). Now the card is installed and it gets all the digital channels but it won't receive any of the HBO channels. They've tried resetting the card numerous times and finally we gave up.

Has anyone had this happen before where one card would get HBO and the other won't? They said they think it's a bad card and want to send out yet another tech visit, but I don't feel like waiting around for another 4 hour window. It sounds to me like a configuration problem on their end, but Iamb not sure. Iamb wondering if I should just wait and try to get another CS rep that knows what they're doing or if it really is the card and I'll have to set up another appointment.

any advice would be appreciated..
I am having the same exact issue. I keep getting the "Repeat Guided Setup ASAP" message. I finally took CC2 out until I can locate a fix.
monbri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 AM   #1292
debbie6754

Cost for Cablecards

I found this on the Comcast website:

What is the cost for CableCARD service?
There is no additional charge for CableCARD service above what you currently pay for Digital Cable service, although additional outlet charges for programming may apply.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:23 AM   #1293
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie6754
I found this on the Comcast website:

What is the cost for CableCARD service?
There is no additional charge for CableCARD service above what you currently pay for Digital Cable service, although additional outlet charges for programming may apply.
Thanks. I saw that too, but that memo someone mentioned seems to be more specific since it talks about the TiVo and multiple cards. Hopefully between both pieces of info, I can get a reasonable cost.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #1294
bicker
Gruff

That's correct. CableCard service is included in Digital cable service. Additional CableCard service is not.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #1295
FrogGremlin

I was told (Chicago/Elmhurst) the cards would be one-free-plus-$1.50-apiece. Here's my first bill, just received online:

12/1 On Demand Platinum 89.99 - 12/31
Includes: Basic and Expanded Basic,
Digital Basic, Digital Music, HBO, HBO
Plex. Showtime, Showtime Plex,
STARZ, STARZ Plex.
12/1 Cable Guard 1.49 - 12/31
12/1 Digital Access Fee 5.99 - 12/31
12/1 Dig Ad Outlet Access Fee 5.99 - 12/31

Happy Thanksgiving, I guess. And a very unhappy call to Comcast tomorrow. Has anyone in the Chicago area received a bill showing the $1.50 rate?

(The bill is for 6 CCs for our three Series 3s, and one digital (non-HD) box.)
FrogGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #1296
smashtheqube

Haha we just got our Comcast bill. Not only did they charge us for BOTH CableCards, but they charged us for DVR service on both of them as well. WTF!? $6 + 1.68 = 7.68... * 2 = $15.36... that's outrageous. I will be calling the idiots tomorrow.
smashtheqube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #1297
bicker
Gruff

I was told that we would be charged for service on both cards (but only charged equipment rental on one of the cards). Remember, service and equipment rental are two different things.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #1298
patg25

This has been an interestring thread to read. I am now switching from D* back to Comcast (moving to a new house). Call Comcast; they told me $2.50 / cablecard. So a total of $5 for two. No mention anything about "DVR service".

Will get the S3 for Christmas; then sell my HR10-250 and SD Tivos on ebay.
patg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #1299
cptodd
Just Me!

well got my box on wed and fired it up without CCs. Worked like a charm (though I notice some things are missing like the ability to recover deleted shows. . . no prob though). The cable guy comes today (a contractor) and installs the cards. They seem to work .. . . that is until he left and the guided setup finishes. Then I discover that some of the channels I used to receive (below 99 like FOOD Network) don't work anymore and some of the channels above 99 that I should get I either do not get or only get picture. They send the tech back and he sits there while they send more signals. NO LUCK. He left the cards while they try and get new ones and reschedule my appt. I then redo the guided setup so that I don't have to use the cable cards. NOW I am thinking that I might try to insert one at a time and try to get them to work that way first. Perhaps that is my problem.

ANd as for the charges: I was told no additional charge per month either for the card or for the additional "outlet" (I believe that is what you folks called it) BUT I will have to pay for install.
cptodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #1300
vogtuj

Just had my Comcast (Wheaton/Chicago West Suburbs) guy out today to do an install. He hadn't done one before, but read the instructions, followed the prompts (put the first CC in the top slot), and everything went fine (he waited until both were in before calling, though - no big deal to me, at least). Then he left, and my lineups were screwed up - didn't get some HD and digital channels that I had before, did get some channels that I hadn't before, so I called up, was told a CableCARD person would call me back, they did, reset both cards, got 161-4s, and all was chill.

As for charges, I was told $16 per card for install, then $1.50/mo. for each. Still less than I was paying for an extra cable box.
vogtuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #1301
Adams61

Finally got my cable cards installed today and everything is working. I was told that I was the first in my area to have the series 3. Hopefully it will be easier for the ones that follow. I will say that it has been worth it! Also, the guys who came today from comcast were very nice and determined to make it work.
Adams61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #1302
cptodd
Just Me!

Update: I call in several times only to be told that they would need to send out a tech again. Each time I say that is ok. One is coming back . . . BUT before he comes could you walk me through setup again? Each time they say no. I call back the last time and got a nice woman who did walk me through. I got one card up and running. Now I think I will try and call tomorrow to try and get the other one working. That way the guy does not have to come out and I can get my dual tuners.

Damn this is difficult to get done. No one seems to know what is going on over at comcast!
Old 11-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #1303
djnewlin

Big Grin Debbie wins!

Debbie,

You should win some type of persistance award from TiVo! That is such great news that you finally have your S3 working with both tuners/CCs.

And yes, I did have to re-do my Season Pass for the channels that moved (e.g., from TNT to TNTHD, etc.).

Enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend

Regards,

Doug

====================

Quote:
I started this saga on October 23rd, when I ordered my series 3. It came, I installed it, no problem. Comcast comes for the first time, spends 3 hours and cannot get the ccs to work at all. They came again a few days later and the box drivers are down. They return again with new cable cards and still NG. I return Tivo for a new one. Comcast arrives again this morning. They put the first cc in and almost immedialtely after hitting, I can see all of the channels. The second card refused to behave. We saw a lot of the channels but not all. Fortunately he had another card in the truck. Popped it in and we are in business.

Since the hi-def channels are different, I guess I have to set up all of my season passes agin. Correct?

djnewlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:50 AM   #1304
cptodd
Just Me!

Well, after a re-running of guided set-up last night I got the other cable card up and running. Now I am able to record using both cards! Now I don't have to have a cable guy back out.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #1305
Bostonlawman2003

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19
Well...I didn't even get a chance to have a failed install. Was scheduled today for a CC install in my Series 3. Two contractors came to my house just long enough to tell me that they had no cable cards in the warehouse, and I'd have to reschedule (anyone ever hear of a phone call?).

So all I got was a feeling of exasperation, and the lingering odor of Marlboro cigarettes in my kitchen from the contractor's visit.

A call to Comcast has me rescheduled for Saturday December 2. When I asked them if it would make sense to wait on the appointment until they knew they had cable cards, the CSR told me not to worry.

Getting closer.....

Thos.
Ok, so let me add to the Massachusetts drama. I had almost the same result with my scheduled install as Thos did, only I was told that the "warehouse isn't issuing cc's to ex-adelphia customers at this point due to a technical glitch due to the Comcast takeover. Call in about a week and try and reschedule the appt."

I wasn't about to wait a week so I shut the door on the techs and called. 3 Calls later after explaining the situation to 5 different CSR's resulted in one very angry customer ( = me) and a bunch of dumbfounded CSR's that have no idea what they are doing.

I was transferred to the "Technical Team" to try and address the problem and was put on hold and then transferred to the digital phone service CSR!!

At this point I was so mad I decieded an online chat would be best because the CSR wouldn't hear me screaming at them for being incompetent. The online chat lasted about 2 1/2 minutes with me being told that I would have to address this with my local office as they do not deal with this type of issue at their level.

I have no idea what to make of this at this point. I will be standing in the Adelcast office in Rockland at 8:59 Monday morning to try and deal with the nice woman there and see if she can do anything about this.

Oh, in addition, I had scheduled this install before the switch from Adelhpia to Comcast, and was assured by the local office that the tech would show up with 2 cc's. But low and behold the workorder from Comcast indicated 1 cc. I don't think the nice lady in the local office is going to like me very much come 9:03 Monday.
I'll update as I can.
BLM
Bostonlawman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #1306
redtape

Finally decided to get the cards and went to Comcast Booth at Arundel Mills on Wednesday. Got an appointment for Friday 10-2. Tech showed up at about 10:30, and with little problem (one card took a bit to load) had HD working at 11:20. Cards will be $5 each per month (first card includes the HD fee).

All is well so far.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:39 PM   #1307
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonlawman2003
<snip>

Oh, in addition, I had scheduled this install before the switch from Adelhpia to Comcast, and was assured by the local office that the tech would show up with 2 cc's. But low and behold the workorder from Comcast indicated 1 cc. I don't think the nice lady in the local office is going to like me very much come 9:03 Monday.
I'll update as I can.
BLM

I had great results in visiting my local Comcast office. I stated the problem quietly and firmly and asked to speak with a technical manager, who came out and discussed the problem for about 20 minutes, checked on something then came out and said when was I available for their 'cable card guru' to do the install.

Getting loud and angry won't help, it just puts them on the defensive, and you'll get little, if any help.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #1308
Bostonlawman2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
Getting loud and angry won't help, it just puts them on the defensive, and you'll get little, if any help.
Unfortunately for them, blatantly lying to their customers tends to put us on the defensive. If you noticed the post from Thos earlier this week he was told by the tech's that they "didn't have any cc's in the warehouse", and today I was told that was not true. They have plenty of cards in their warehouse, they just aren't distributing them to the field, and have no idea when they will.

My local office consists of a one woman operation dealing with 4 towns, whom I've dealt with for several years. My comment about her not liking me was meant to insinutate that I'm going to be asking her questions she will not be able to answer. And from what the comcast csr's in the call center where able to tell me today when I called gives me the impression that they won't be able to help her either when she calls them to ask.

Been reading several different threads in here for a long time now, it's not as though I was expecting to have this be a streamlined install on their end, but I did expect alot more than what I've been shown so far, like maybe a poor attempt at an install, or possibly even a Comcast tech at my door, instead of two Contractors, as they have been dealing with this issue nationwide for two months and know the obstacles they are going to be facing when walking into a S3 install.

I haven't lost hope yet, although as a new Comcast customer I have to say I'm not real impressed with their operation to this point.
Bostonlawman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:26 AM   #1309
mikesay98

Please tell me if I'm understanding this correctly. I am thinking of getting the S3. We currently have analog cable and don't want to upgrade to digital. I just bought an HDTV. From what Comcast told me, I can get HD programming plus 2 cablecards for the TiVo for about $16/month without upgrading to digital.

My question is, will this setup work? Is there anything else to this or is that pretty much all I need to do to keep analog, get HD, and have everything on the S3 work?

Thanks!
mikesay98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:08 AM   #1310
zalusky

Cablecards are only required if you want access to digital cable.

If you are only accessing analog cable and/or OTA, you can use the S3 without cablecards.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:31 AM   #1311
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesay98
Please tell me if I'm understanding this correctly. I am thinking of getting the S3. We currently have analog cable and don't want to upgrade to digital. I just bought an HDTV. From what Comcast told me, I can get HD programming plus 2 cablecards for the TiVo for about $16/month without upgrading to digital.

My question is, will this setup work? Is there anything else to this or is that pretty much all I need to do to keep analog, get HD, and have everything on the S3 work?

Thanks!
Hijack here.

From a stricty content perspective, you're missing some good stuff. Not sure which channels you'd e getting, but BBCA, TNT, LIFE, USA, Bravo, TBS, FX, and maybe more between them have a good half a dozen good shows in their original programming. Add to that that many or more non-fiction channels (history, science, DIY, more), and there's some really good stuff.

But at least you're not like some of our (so-called) friends who don't even watch TV.....
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:02 AM   #1312
The TiVo Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesay98

Thanks!
My understanding is you have to have digital to get channels above 99 (where all the HD content resides.) I'm not sure how you could have cablecards and get HD and not have digital. My guess is the monthly digital charge is included in the $16/month and you will be getting digital. If so, is there some other reason you don't want digital?
The TiVo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:17 AM   #1313
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonlawman2003
My local office consists of a one woman operation dealing with 4 towns, whom I've dealt with for several years. ... as a new Comcast customer I have to say I'm not real impressed with their operation to this point.
Does not compute.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #1314
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TiVo Dude
My understanding is you have to have digital to get channels above 99 (where all the HD content resides.)
There are digital channels available unencrypted "on the wire". I have about 22 digital channels, of which only six or seven are HD.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #1315
debbie6754

New Weird Problem

I have been blissfully been enjoying HD TV and series 3 for a few days. Now at about 10 pm each evening, I loose signal strength on my Tivo and the other TV in my house with a cable box. It doesn't happen on my TVs without cableboxs or ccs. It seems to happen on the netwok channels, in both HD and not HD. I get horizontal pixilating lines across the screen. It is gone when I turn on the TV the next morning. I have saved a recording of this, in case, oh no , I have to call Comast again.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Comcast tested my signal strength when they installed my ccs and it was very strong.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:56 AM   #1316
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
There are digital channels available unencrypted "on the wire". I have about 22 digital channels, of which only six or seven are HD.
Yes there are some digital channels available unencrypted. On our local Comcast system there are something like 200+ additional encrypted digital channels. Without the digitial tier and the CableCARD's, not much chance of seeing those encrypted channels on an S3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #1317
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
I have been blissfully been enjoying HD TV and series 3 for a few days. Now at about 10 pm each evening, I loose signal strength on my Tivo and the other TV in my house with a cable box. It doesn't happen on my TVs without cableboxs or ccs. It seems to happen on the netwok channels, in both HD and not HD. I get horizontal pixilating lines across the screen. It is gone when I turn on the TV the next morning. I have saved a recording of this, in case, oh no , I have to call Comast again.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Comcast tested my signal strength when they installed my ccs and it was very strong.
Signal issue. Too weak, or too strong, or too noisy (loose cables, bad fittings).
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:26 PM   #1318
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky
Cablecards are only required if you want access to digital cable.
In mikesay98's case he's trying to access digital cable, and the cable card will be useful. He's not needing the decrypting capabilities, but he does need the channel mapping capability so he can actually find the unencrypted HD channels.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #1319
mikesay98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
Hijack here.

From a stricty content perspective, you're missing some good stuff. Not sure which channels you'd e getting, but BBCA, TNT, LIFE, USA, Bravo, TBS, FX, and maybe more between them have a good half a dozen good shows in their original programming. Add to that that many or more non-fiction channels (history, science, DIY, more), and there's some really good stuff.

But at least you're not like some of our (so-called) friends who don't even watch TV.....
Hi, thanks for all the responses everyone. I'll try to address them here.

The reason I don't want to upgrade to digital is because it's just my mother and I. She is confused beyond all reason when it comes to technology, so I don't want digital simply because the digital box would just confuse her more (as would a TiVo if she had one). There's really no point to getting digital cable if she is too confused to access the additional channels, and we already have extended basic, so we get like 70 channels and I could care less since we now only pay $40/month.

Other than that, I spoke with a Comcast representative for a bit online last night and he seemed very knowledgeable. He said that we could keep our analog cable
and get HD and 2 cablecards for $16/month. He said if we upgraded to digital, that would pay for the first CC, so it'd only be $12/month (before the additional digital costs). So he seemed to understand that we could use CCs with analog cable.

So the reason I'm asking what I am, is that I don't care to upgrade us to digital cable. That being said, I want to watch HD with a TiVo. That leaves 2 options according to him. (1) Get HD programming with an HD box which according to him means I have to control the channels through the box, or (2) use cablecards to get HD content and control the channels with the S3. Obviously, option (2) is what I want. I guess I was just asking to clarify if what he said is correct. I mean, he seemed very confident of his answers and understood everything I was talking about completely.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #1320
mikesay98

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
In mikesay98's case he's trying to access digital cable, and the cable card will be useful. He's not needing the decrypting capabilities, but he does need the channel mapping capability so he can actually find the unencrypted HD channels.

Thanks for the response...it seems you're saying that what I want to do is completely doable according to what Comcast told me...am I correct?