TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2006, 12:21 AM   #1261
dqdude

Seattle area freebies

Picked mine up today from the Comcast office in Tacoma...no charge for the cards. No hassles at all!

Now all I need is TCS Series 3 and my 750gb Weaknees drive and I am set!
dqdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #1262
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Its listed on my bill (as a line item) as "TiVo":The previous one had the same blurb about "DVR"s I had to read to a CSR to get them to implement it.
So maybe if they get my bill right, it'll say "Tivo" on the $1.50 line.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #1263
susani8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
Congratulations!

Music and photos should be working now. I don't remember if you have to enable applications on the TiVo "Music ..." screen, but there should be nothing else to do as long as they're on the same subnet. MRV, as you say, will hopefully be along later.

Thanks for the tip - found music and photos were working great when I looked in the right place! I love the dual tuner HD - worth every penny, the pictures are as beautiful as when I had the TV hooked directly to the OTA Antennae - but no more commercials! I don't know how I did so well for so long on a single tuner, the dual capability is great!

I know there has been a lot of chatter about "waiting until the price goes down" and I gave it a lot of thought. But the fact that I can enjoy it now, for the holidays, that I can transfer my lifetime sub over makes it worth the $$ now.

Sure I could have waited a few years until it gets down to $450 or so (I doubt it'll get much cheaper until the technology is completely obsolete) - but then add to that $450 the $13 or $17 / month service charge and the fact that you've missed all that time of spectacular entertainment - and I would have been cheating myself. (At least that's how I've justifed the $680 cost, I think I've done pretty well)

Happy Thanksgiving!
susani8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #1264
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaasfamily
Having said that though, you won't get guide data without cable cards, and you won't get cable cards without signing up for the digital tier. So effectively, yes, you have to sign up for the digital tier if you want to use your S3 as god intended.
Has anyone been successful in getting cable cards without the digital tier? What about with lifeline?

I know, I'm dreaming...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:06 AM   #1265
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
Has anyone been successful in getting cable cards without the digital tier?
Plenty of people.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #1266
cconk01

frustrated

I think i may have posted somewhere else about this, but anyway....
I have S3 with comcast and cant be any more frustrated. I receive 4 Hbo channels and 2 showtime channels, almost no channels in the 100+ range. from channels 1-99 i receive duplicate channels, one works the other doesn't. I fixed this once by restarting tivo, but no luck this time. I am on the last straw.
cconk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #1267
as6o

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts
How much those CableCards can cost varies. I've seen reports to both free to $15 each and everything in between. I was quoted first one free and $4.95 for the second one. I'll see what I end up with after I get my first bill. Comcast's web site says they should be free for only a single outlet: http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2651

With this option, TiVo is totally out of the picture. Your best bet really is to call Comcast for this.

.../Ed
I just got my bill and this issue came up. You can read that FAQ different ways. It could be read as: "CableCARDS are free but additional programming charges per outlet (i.e. CableCARD) may apply." That is what my bill shows. I have two line items listed as "Cable Card - $0.00" and two other line items listed as "Digital Starter Add'l - $3.99". So I'm basically paying $3.99 for the ability of each Cable Card to show my package. This pretty much leaves the door open for franchises to charge whatever they want for service over the cards.

-Aaron
as6o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #1268
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Plenty of people.
Can you elaborate?? I've read (here) that you must have the digital tier to get cablecards. You are saying that is incorrect? That you can get cablecards with analog? What about with lifeline?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #1269
debbie6754

Oh My God It Finally WORKS!!!

I started this saga on October 23rd, when I ordered my series 3. It came, I installed it, no problem. Comcast comes for the first time, spends 3 hours and cannot get the ccs to work at all. They came again a few days later and the box drivers are down. They return again with new cable cards and still NG. I return Tivo for a new one. Comcast arrives again this morning. They put the first cc in and almost immedialtely after hitting, I can see all of the channels. The second card refused to behave. We saw a lot of the channels but not all. Fortunately he had another card in the truck. Popped it in and we are in business.

Since the hi-def channels are different, I guess I have to set up all of my season passes agin. Correct?

Old 11-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #1270
eddyj

I just talked to my local Comcast office that they want to charge $5 for HD service + $6.99 equipment charge (both monthly charges) for each cable card.

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #1271
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
Can you elaborate?? I've read (here) that you must have the digital tier to get cablecards. You are saying that is incorrect? That you can get cablecards with analog? What about with lifeline?
I have $15 limited basic and $1.50 for two CableCards. Other people have reported the same thing as well. This works in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #1272
keenanSR

I pay $16.67 for Limited Basic and $1.50 total for 2 CCs. SF bay area
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #1273
theLuggage

Question Is it redundant to have an HDTV Antenna?

My new S3 comes on Friday. (Hooray!)

Comcast comes on Monday for the CC install. (Fear and trepidation.)

I have the Digital Plus package with Comcast. Is it redundant to use an antenna for OTA HDTV? Is it true that all the same channels are carried over the cable wire at no extra charge as what is available OTA?

And is it true that to get things like Discovery HD, TNT HD, ESPN HD, etc., I would need to pay an extra $5 or so?

People have talked around this issue here and elsewhere, but I haven't gotten a clear sense of it.

Thanks!
theLuggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #1274
laria
Librocubicularist

Yes, the broadcast channels come in the Digital package. I was told the extra channels like Discovery, TNT, ESPN, etc would be $6.20 per month but while I was charged prorated prices for all the cablecards and the digital package for the remainder of the month after our install (we only had analog basic before), there was no prorated charge for the extra HD channels... so I am not sure.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #1275
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLuggage
And is it true that to get things like Discovery HD, TNT HD, ESPN HD, etc., I would need to pay an extra $5 or so?
In the San Francisco Bay Area, those channels are part of digital classic, which means any digital subscription would have those channels.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #1276
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj
I just talked to my local Comcast office that they want to charge $5 for HD service + $6.99 equipment charge (both monthly charges) for each cable card.
Tell your Comcast office to read the corporate memo about the Tivo Series 3 and CableCARDs.

The HD service charge should only apply if you have a Comcast-issued converter box and the CableCARDs are $1.50 per month each, with one included free if you have a digital package.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #1277
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Tell your Comcast office to read the corporate memo about the Tivo Series 3 and CableCARDs.

The HD service charge should only apply if you have a Comcast-issued converter box and the CableCARDs are $1.50 per month each, with one included free if you have a digital package.
Any idea of where to find this memo? Cause the local guys have lo clue, and the woman that I chatted through their web site was not much help either.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #1278
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Any idea of where to find this memo?
They put the gist of it on a notice on the front of my bill. Several people have found that referring to something printed on the bill makes a CSR see the right thing.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #1279
eddyj

I'll have to see if my brother has kept a bill. Was it a one time thing?

Old 11-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #1280
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
I'll have to see if my brother has kept a bill. Was it a one time thing?
You can go online and look at your statements.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:35 PM   #1281
Thos19

Install in Abington, MA #3

Well...I didn't even get a chance to have a failed install. Was scheduled today for a CC install in my Series 3. Two contractors came to my house just long enough to tell me that they had no cable cards in the warehouse, and I'd have to reschedule (anyone ever hear of a phone call?).

So all I got was a feeling of exasperation, and the lingering odor of Marlboro cigarettes in my kitchen from the contractor's visit.

A call to Comcast has me rescheduled for Saturday December 2. When I asked them if it would make sense to wait on the appointment until they knew they had cable cards, the CSR told me not to worry.

Getting closer.....

Thos.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:03 PM   #1282
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19
Well...I didn't even get a chance to have a failed install.
Ask for free install or some sort of credit.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #1283
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
You can go online and look at your statements.
Ah, that is good to know. I will check on that (I do not have his account number, cause he does not have any of his old statements, so we'll see how far I get). Thanks.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #1284
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19
Well...I didn't even get a chance to have a failed install.
Ask for free install or some sort of credit.
Mine was already free so I did just the opposite. After 1 failure and 3 no shows I told them I do not want anymore free installs. It was just costing me too much! I told them I wanted to pay for a real technician...
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #1285
laria
Librocubicularist

I guess it is only regional or something... my statements do not say anything about cablecards on them.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:46 PM   #1286
ac3dd

Pulled the trigger on the S3. Hopefully I'll get it next week. I'll have to start preparing for a battle with Comcast...
ac3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #1287
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Odd phone call from Comcast today. They called and needed to verify my cable card numbers...they had SOME of my info, but apparently didn't have the cable card numbers...odd...I wasn't home, and someone gave them the info they needed- but wasn't sure if the call was legit. IS there any kind of security issue or problems you can encounter if someone phishes your CC numbers from your Tivo from you???
Old 11-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #1288
btwyx
Substantive Member

Comcast are supposed to be trying to gather host pairing information. That is find the host IDs of your TiVo, they need it to do authetication properly, but have never bothered to gather this information before.

Maybe this is what was going on. I've seen plenty of chatter about it on line, but Comcast haven't warned me about this, itd be nice of them to do that before asking for the info. If someone rungs up out of the blue asking for weird information, I start to think scam.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #1289
jfh3

Quote:
Any idea of where to find this memo? Cause the local guys have lo clue, and the woman that I chatted through their web site was not much help either.
No, but there are other references to it (in this thread I think). A poster who faxed corporate referenced it.

But, as another poster said, it should also be on your October bill.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:43 AM   #1290
joecm874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse
Odd phone call from Comcast today. They called and needed to verify my cable card numbers...they had SOME of my info, but apparently didn't have the cable card numbers...odd...I wasn't home, and someone gave them the info they needed- but wasn't sure if the call was legit. IS there any kind of security issue or problems you can encounter if someone phishes your CC numbers from your Tivo from you???
I had a cable guy out today and he said that if someone from comcast calls and asks for the numbers, refuse. They are trying out some new firmware and need those numbers to do it. Apparently it will hose your tivo. Not the point of the upgrade, but the result.
joecm874 is offline   Reply With Quote