TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #1141
keenanSR

Comcast-Santa Rosa CA(SF bay area). Returned my 6412 and for two CCs I'll be charged $1.50 per month total. First one no charge, and second one $1.50. No Additional Outlet Fees or "HDTV service", just the $1.50 and Limited Basic at $16.13.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #1142
JfNebraska
HD Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Comcast-Santa Rosa CA(SF bay area). Returned my 6412 and for two CCs I'll be charged $1.50 per month total. First one no charge, and second one $1.50. No Additional Outlet Fees or "HDTV service", just the $1.50 and Limited Basic at $16.13.
What?!?!? You're getting all the Comcast HD channels (INHD, DHD, ESPNHD, SF locals, etc.) for $17.63 a month? I must be missing something.
JfNebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #1143
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfNebraska
What?!?!? You're getting all the Comcast HD channels (INHD, DHD, ESPNHD, SF locals, etc.) for $17.63 a month? I must be missing something.
The local HD channels are included. Other HD channels such as DHD, ESPNHD, TNTHD, etc. require the $10 digital classic package.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #1144
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
The local HD channels are included. Other HD channels such as DHD, ESPNHD, TNTHD, etc. require the $10 digital classic package.
Correct, although in my area the only HD channels that come with Digital Classic are Discovery-HD and ESPN-HD, and, Discovery-HD is still unencrypted in Santa Rosa so I'll still get that one albeit without guide info. Getting one of the two Classic channels for free is a good deal as opposed to two for $9.95.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #1145
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Discovery-HD is still unencrypted in Santa Rosa so I'll still get that one albeit without guide info.
What do you mean without guide info? Programming guide is available for all channels, subscribed or not.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #1146
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
What do you mean without guide info? Programming guide is available for all channels, subscribed or not.
He's probably tuning the QAM channels, which have no guide data associated with them.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #1147
lachacg
Go Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Now my local Comcast office (Union/Verona NJ) says that they sent back a whole batch of CableCARDs to the supplier as defective (gee, maybe thats why the TiVo was rebooting) and they won't have any on hand until January 2007.
Are you serious???? I'm serviced by the same office. I'm just about to get a new HDTV and Series 3 right after black Friday and now I won't have service until January????? Blue Xmas for me.
lachacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #1148
gbrown

Silicon Valley Experience

I went into the Cupertino Comcast Office and the CSR figured out that the installation was a one time fee of $15.95. The monthly cost for two CableCards was $1.50.

We set up an install that the subcontractors blew, so I got a $20 rebate via the missed appointment rebate deal that they have.

The only issue I had with the installers was that they demanded that I use a telephone line. They never had seen the Internet connection. Even when I told them the initial download was faster, they required the phone line. Go figure!

I'm using the Buffalo WiFi to Ethernet Bridge because I refuse to run WEP and the Buffalo bridge has gotten great reviews on this board. Easy to configure and get running.

I am SO much happier with the S3 Tivo than the Motorola. If you can afford the hight price of the S3, I recommend it. I got mine through the TiVo Community store with the 15% discount.

Next project - new home audo furniture and putting the Sony Bravia on the wall
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #1149
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Guy
He's probably tuning the QAM channels, which have no guide data associated with them.
keenanSR already has CableCards, so manual QAM tuning is not an option.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #1150
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown
The only issue I had with the installers was that they demanded that I use a telephone line. They never had seen the Internet connection. Even when I told them the initial download was faster, they required the phone line. Go figure!
There is no need to re-run Guided Setup while the installer is there.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #1151
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
keenanSR already has CableCards, so manual QAM tuning is not an option.
Before I got the cablecards, I just had the direct cable connected and ota connected and did a channel scan. Besides all the ota channels, the scan found quite a few QAM channels on the cable.

Are you saying you can't do another channel scan after the cable cards are installed? I haven't tried it because the one time I did it I added about 400 unwanted channels to Tivo's channel list. But the option to do another scan remains in Tivo's settings/channels menu. Will that only do the ota now that the cc's are installed? Just curious.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #1152
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Will that only do the ota now that the cc's are installed? Just curious.
Correct, based on what I've read.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #1153
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Correct, based on what I've read.
Well, I wish I had the nerve to try it, but its all working so perfectly now, I don't want to mess with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #1154
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
But the option to do another scan remains in Tivo's settings/channels menu. Will that only do the ota now that the cc's are installed? Just curious.
It'll only have the OTA option if you look, I have looked.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #1155
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Comcast Install #2

COMCAST INSTALL #2

My two series 3's are now 100%, two tuners each, all digital.

The second one was much easier, though still not trivial. It only took one full day to get working, instead of three or four visits over several weeks.

Mac (I didn't ask for Comcast personnel, but he was--his truck was, anyway) came around 900, for the 7:30-10:00 slot (ALWAYS ask for the earliest slot they have, and ALWAYS plan for it to take the full day). This was his first Series 3. He pretty much let me guide him when he started going astray (tried to say Samsung was the model, but that's the TV--little stuff like that). Ivan, the cableCARD expert on the phone with Mac, said as soon as he was given the gist of the situation, said the cable line would need an amplifier. Mac had one in the truck and quickly had it installed where I wanted it, in the basement. My only qualm was whether it might screw up my Internet connection (the amp went in prior to BOTH the cable modem and the TiVos). But I'd had a Comcast amp. at our last house (though after the cable modem) without any problems went with what they said. Turns out the amp. doesn't hurt anything, so that's fine with me. (I like how the power jack on the amp is just another F5 connector--same as the CATV itself. It lets the installer make a power cable of exactly the needed length, no more.)

But it turned out that one of the two cards he brought this morning, the second one we put in, immediately and repeatedly gave a 161-1 error. Did so even after reboot and after re-seating the card. By that time, since the first card was taking so long to acquire channels, I had said I wished I could call in the numbers directly myself (last time(s) they said no), and my installer said sure and made sure the NOC guy at the other end (yes, there's one in Baltimore, his name is Ivan) knew I'd be dealing with him directly. He obviously wanted to get out of there and get on with the rest of his installs, and that was fine with me.

Ivan looked up the 161-1 error, which he said was "pin error", and meant a bad card. I found a thread on TCF where a guy said it almost always meant a bad card READER, meaning the TiVo was busted. A few hours later, around 3:30 as they'd said by phone would be the case, Mac (my original installer this morning) came by with the second card. Immediately after putting it in and NOT seeing the 161-1 error, I was confident it was NOT a busted TiVO (phew). In fact, I soon got the GOOD error, 164-1. I let Mac get on with his other installs (sounded like his day wasn't NEAR over yet) and called Ivan at the NOC. Left him voice mail, and was getting worried I might have missed him. But he'd given me his cell and said he could do his thing from home if need be. Turned out it wasn't needed. He called back around 4:15. Less than a half hour later all was working fine.

Woohoo!

Seriously thinking about buying some stock in Comcast. Yes, they suck. But damn, they make a lot of money--no reason I shouldn't get in on that action.

Also seriously thinking about HD TiVo #3. I saw new in box, lifetimed series 3's selling for $1350 on eBay. So #3 can be a backup in case of hardware failure, and possibly a moneymaker if I sell it in a year or two.

(and yes....I realize I may have a "TiVo" problem. But I see no need for any 12 step programs or interventions or the like.)
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #1156
toddinmd

Had my cable cards installed today. I called the 800 number yesterday and the first available appointment was today, which was great, didn't need to wait long.

The tech showed up with two SA cards. He proceeded to insert the first card and the card went into updating firmware. He was inpatient and tired the second card, tivo wouldn't even bring the card up. He was packing up ready to go, and then I asked, ok now what is the next step. He didn't know, so I suggested he leave the cards, he did and said he would be back by later to pick them up. After he left I went ahead and rebooted my S3. Then from a suggestion I found in the forums, I inserted both cards at the same time and let it sit. I did get the firmware upgrade again, but after about 10 minutes or so, both cards showed up in the diags and I had some channels.

After a couple of hours the tech called, and I told him the cards were up, so he swung back by and called the cards in. He pulled both cards and then registered one at a time. They came right up. He told me that he had just installed two more S3's and had no issues, guess it was my lucky day. But he did say the installs seem to be 50/50.

Sounds like maybe starting with a clean boot, and also having patients pays off.

Todd

Comcast, Howard County, MD
toddinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #1157
ac3dd

Wow, all these horror stories have me scared to buy a Series 3. TiVo should really bitch-slap all these stupid cable companies for harming their business with their incompetence and violating FCC regulations.
ac3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #1158
ac3dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by winpitt
A couple notes: Your cable provider is not a monopoly really. Franchise agreements are by law non-exclusive. That means that as many providers as wish to can compete in your area. They choose not to because the cost of rolling out additional infrastructure leeches away margins when they need to share subscriptions. Most franchise authorities would love to have as many providers as possible.
Just because some other providers have a theoretical opportunity to enter the market doesn't mean there isn't a monopoly. It may not be a government-enforced monopoly any more, but it's still a monopoly. How many of us in real life have a choice of more than one cable provider serving our house or apartment? Nearly zero.
ac3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #1159
debbie6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachacg
Are you serious???? I'm serviced by the same office. I'm just about to get a new HDTV and Series 3 right after black Friday and now I won't have service until January????? Blue Xmas for me.

I had the Comcast Union NJ guys here 3 times. They seem to have a supply of cablecards. What they are missing is a suppy of techs who know what they are doing or have ever even seen a Tivo. They have received no training at all on cablecards. They told me my problem is a bad Tivo. So I am exchanging my Tivo. When the new one arrives, I will call them again. This time I will try and request a supervisor or at least a tech who has successfully installed a cablecard.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #1160
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
(and yes....I realize I may have a "TiVo" problem. But I see no need for any 12 step programs or interventions or the like.)
Are you sure, little brother? I think maybe we need to contact someone for you to talk to. "How does that make you feel?" LOL
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #1161
gbrown

Thumbs up A GREAT Comcast Experience

Last Friday evening, I noticed that I wasn't getting Discovery HD and HBO-HD on my Series 3 TiVo. I called support and they setup a service call for this morning between 8 and 10AM.

The guy actually shows up on time (8:45AM) and had a signal strength meter with him. It turns out that the CSR had not put both stations on the report, just Discover. When he heard that HBO-HD was also missing he immediately said the problem is with your splitter. I have one side going into the TV to get QAM channels so that I can record 2 and watch 1 at the same time.

He swapped the splitter and everything now works. Also no charge for the visit.

What a wonderful experience. Someone who new what he was doing. Kinda restores my faith in Comcast. Two thumbs up!
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #1162
Thursday

gbrown, what kind of splitter is it, because I need to update all of my splitters because they are just the couple buck ones you can get anywhere. I would rather have a good splitter that doesn't chop the signal quality way down.

Anyone have some suggestions about what splitter I should get? Also, I need to get something that can take 2 signals ( OTA Antenna and Digital Cable ) and send them to one TV. Any suggestions there as well?

Also, Comcast is comming on tuesday to set up Digital Cable ( Platnium ) with HD. I can't wait. The thing that surprises me is that the CSR said that the first extra CC was free but the second one was 5.99$ a month, kinda expensive, but oh well.
Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #1163
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday
gbrown, what kind of splitter is it, because I need to update all of my splitters because they are just the couple buck ones you can get anywhere. I would rather have a good splitter that doesn't chop the signal quality way down.

Anyone have some suggestions about what splitter I should get? Also, I need to get something that can take 2 signals ( OTA Antenna and Digital Cable ) and send them to one TV. Any suggestions there as well?

Also, Comcast is comming on tuesday to set up Digital Cable ( Platnium ) with HD. I can't wait. The thing that surprises me is that the CSR said that the first extra CC was free but the second one was 5.99$ a month, kinda expensive, but oh well.
Just make sure the splitter is good to 1000MHz, most cable systems don't go above 860MHz currently. Older splitters may only be good up to 500-650MHz(old style cable systems).
Old 11-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #1164
Thursday

Thanks keenan
Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #1165
tase2
Shy Guy

Spoke with Comcast this afternoon. The story I got was 1 free CC and $2.75/mo for the 2nd CC.

I was told I had to get one tier up from digital classic (I forgot the name of it) in order to be eligible for the Digital Cable Dish Win-Back promotion. I was hoping for digital classic.

I have not set up an appointment yet, I will wait until I have my S3 in my hands.
tase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #1166
laria
Librocubicularist

After reading part of this thread, I am starting to dread my 3-5pm appointment today. We have two S3's being hooked up (hopefully) and I about cried when I got a woman on the phone who said she never heard of installing CableCards in TiVos, they only install them in TVs, and I'll have to call TiVo about that. She went to talk to someone though after I told her I knew (i.e. read about on TC ) many people who had Comcast cards in their TiVos, and she got straightened out.

She also told me 1 free card, then $2.75 per month for additional ones like tase2 said.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 AM   #1167
bicker
Gruff

I wouldn't get too concerned about the CableCard installation. Those issues tend to get worked out, as far as I've seen. What's of greater concern are the insidious issues, such as random channel loss, where all indications to Comcast is that all their systems are working properly, so they (reasonably, though I respect those who disagree as much as they respect me) conclude that the problem must be within the TiVo.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 AM   #1168
winpitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3dd
Just because some other providers have a theoretical opportunity to enter the market doesn't mean there isn't a monopoly. It may not be a government-enforced monopoly any more, but it's still a monopoly. How many of us in real life have a choice of more than one cable provider serving our house or apartment? Nearly zero.
Actually it does mean that there isn't a monopoly. If you want to change it, start your own cable company. You're allowed. There is nothing stopping you. The facts are that there is a choice for many between DBS and cable (not everyone certainly). And for some more, there is yet another choice with FiOS. The cable market has gone through a huge amount of change, with a great deal of convergence. Smaller operators were unable to generate margins to survive, leading us to this situation with fewer but larger providers. That in itself should be a signal that the problem is us, the consumers. We're not willing to pay enough to justify the kind of competition that you want.

In other words, your argument is that no matter the cost or the business proposition, you the consumer should have a choice in every single purchase you make. Unfortunately that has never been the way business works in history and I seriously doubt that our financial models will change today.
winpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #1169
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winpitt
Actually it does mean that there isn't a monopoly.
There are lots of interpretations of the word. One involves having an exclusive right or priviledge, another relates to there only being a single supplier (regardless of whether it's an enforced monopology). A couple of the entries at http://www.dict.org/ back this up.

However, according to another entry from a law dictionary at dict.org, commercially it mostly relates to being granted an exclusive right by the government or having acquired the means to be the sole supplier of something (implying that you have therefore actively denied the possibility of competition).

Ergo, common English has a looser definition than law, which is often the case generally speaking.

As for Comcast: My Cablecards that were installed back in September still work fine. No issues thus far.

Chris.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #1170
PaulRuby

Comcast is getting better at this in Sacramento. It took them two trips out but all is working...

First, being a tech geek myself, I decided to NOT be at home when comcast was there. If they want my business, then they can do the work. I had everything ready for them with the instructions on top of each Tivo (2 of them). My wife was at home for them... The lady that came out had never seen one but was very good about working through it and getting things set up. According to my wife, we had all channels when she left. But, when I got home, the premium channels were not coming in. Black screen. Called comcsat and then scheduled a 2nd appt for the following morning. A different person showed up and imediately recognized that the cards had not been properly initialized. He knew who to call to get the right stuff sent to the cards and now everything is great.

For those being scared off by the horror stories, don't be... Since this stuff is all new to comcast, they are having some newbie issues. I do not believe they are being mallicious. I saw nothing like that. Instead, I saw inexperience that was easily overcome with one extra visit. There were no hard-sell atempts or anything like that. Just some basic confusion at first because I was asking for 4 cable cards. Just explain what you're doing, politely, and there's no issue.

And for the tech geeks like me out there.... Just let them do their job. Be nice. When they make a mistake, be helpful, not indignant. If this is hard for you (as it is for me) then don't even be at the house when they show up. Allow your lovely, polite, patient wife to be there.

Anyway, I have 2 HD Tivos operating flawlessly. Freaking awesome product! After intial guided setup (prior to cable card stuff) I upgraded to 750GB hard drives (available from Fry's). Dual tuners is SOOO GREAT. And completely seamless. My full conversion to HD is now complete.

In case you didn't know, you can get 750GB drives at fry's product number 4924331.

Unfortunately, they're no longer on sale... But, I can tell you that they are quiet and work great and the upgrade is easy.

(Sorry my links are not enabled. I have not posted 5 times yet... so this freaking BBS is making it VERY difficult to tell you where to go. Dang it.)

The instructions to upgrade your HDD are at "bumwine" dot "com" slash "tivo" dot "html".

- Paul

Last edited by PaulRuby : 11-13-2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typos
PaulRuby is offline   Reply With Quote