TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 01:54 AM   #1081
doraemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 41
Update to my San Jose install. My roommate was home while two installers showed up (think they were actual Comcast employees, but am not sure). When I got home after work, the cards were listed as SUBSCRIBED and I reran Guided Setup.

I previously only had Standard Cable, but have signed up for Digital Cable now. I was missing Channels 2 to 14 and some of the local HD channels, but not all of them. Then I noticed one CC had spontaneously reverted to NOT_AUTHORIZED.

Contacted CC via chat and an initialization signal was sent to card. Said to give an hour and check again.

When I checked this morning, even more channels are not working than last night. Both cards are again listed as SUBSCRIBED, though.

I did a Restart on the S3 and now, neither CC is SUBSCRIBED. I'll have to contact Comcast again tomorrow once I have a moment. Most frustrating. The only saving grace is I did manage to see some of Gray's Anatomy in HD and I was suitable impressed at the picture quality.
doraemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:35 AM   #1082
mkibbe
mkib
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Premium Channels

Has anyone had a problem getting the premium channels to come in with the Tivo Series 3 HD unit and the Motorola Comcast CableCards???? The Comcast guys as well as the high-end intallers from Abt Electronics have been out here five times and no one can get it to work. I also called TiVo several times with no good solution. I am about to return this Series 3 unit if we can't get this to work. Thought I would check the forum to see if anyone else had this problem.
mkibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #1083
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive
 
ThreeSoFar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkibbe
Has anyone had a problem getting the premium channels to come in with the Tivo Series 3 HD unit and the Motorola Comcast CableCards???? The Comcast guys as well as the high-end intallers from Abt Electronics have been out here five times and no one can get it to work. I also called TiVo several times with no good solution. I am about to return this Series 3 unit if we can't get this to work. Thought I would check the forum to see if anyone else had this problem.
It's got to be Comcast. Works fine for me and haven't heard this problem before.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #1084
djnewlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago suburb
Posts: 46
Problem with Premium Channels...

I have been struggling with getting Comcast + S3 + Moto CCs to work together to get Premium channels too...

I should point out that my Family Room S3 works great with the v4.21 Moto CCs, getting all of the Premium Channels I subscribe to with Comcast. So I know it works!

However, my second S3 box is on its 3rd pair of Moto CCs, and still no premiums... it gets all of the other channels, including ESPN HD, INHD, etc. But I can not get the Premiums on that box.

Have you checked your S3 CC screen (under Settings) to see what the "Host Validation" says under "Conditional Access"? It should say: "Host Validation: Valid", which it does say on my good S3. However, on the S3 I can not get premiums, that line reads: "Host Validation: Uknown". This would seem to imply a configuration problem. And Comcast has shown me they don't really care if they get it working...

Another idea that has been suggested, is to hook up the S3 with a direct (and short) line directly from your main CATV feed (i.e., no splitters, no amp, etc.). I have also heard some say a "Cold Hit" is required, although Comcast refused to do one for me yesterday, saying it would "burn out" my CCs!

Any chance you could take your S3 to your nearest Comcast center and have them authorize it there? It would be interesting to see if it works in their office...

Regards,

Doug

========================

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkibbe
Has anyone had a problem getting the premium channels to come in with the Tivo Series 3 HD unit and the Motorola Comcast CableCards???? The Comcast guys as well as the high-end intallers from Abt Electronics have been out here five times and no one can get it to work. I also called TiVo several times with no good solution. I am about to return this Series 3 unit if we can't get this to work. Thought I would check the forum to see if anyone else had this problem.

djnewlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #1085
doctord
Registered User
 
doctord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin
Have you checked your S3 CC screen (under Settings) to see what the "Host Validation" says under "Conditional Access"? It should say: "Host Validation: Valid", which it does say on my good S3. However, on the S3 I can not get premiums, that line reads: "Host Validation: Uknown". This would seem to imply a configuration problem.
========================
The host validation is related to the pairing of the unit and the card. Based upon your statement, it seems that your working cards are paired properly and your non-working cards are not. I'm not sure that this is causing your problem as neither of my cards are paired and I receive HBOHD with no problems. In my area, pairing is not yet required although they are implementing it. If you call back Comcast, ask for help pairing the cards to the unit.
I sugggest that your problem may be related to the coding of your account on their end or to an error in the cable card number on your account. I suggest taking out the cards and verifying the serial numbers with Comcast.
Good Luck.
doctord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #1086
btwyx
Substantive Member
 
btwyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 11,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkibbe
Has anyone had a problem getting the premium channels to come in with the Tivo Series 3 HD unit and the Motorola Comcast CableCards????
It works for me, but there are a few people who've reported problems like that.
__________________
Premier Elite, Lifetime
Premier XL, Lifetime
Premier Lifetime (at Mom's)
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #1087
DTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lincroft, NJ, USA
Posts: 93
Comcast of Eatontown (NJ) just told me that they are out of Cable Cards and that I should check back next Thursday.

Makes it hard to use my new Series3
__________________
George
SA S1, S2 & S2 Retired
SA S3 750Gb, S3 250Gb & S3 250Gb all Lifetime
2 Premiers with Lifetime
.
DTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #1088
mkibbe
mkib
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin
I have been struggling with getting Comcast + S3 + Moto CCs to work together to get Premium channels too...


========================
DJNEWLIN, you are the first person that I have heard of that is having the exact same problem as me. I know exactly what you are talking about on the Conditional Access screen. In fact, I had my sixth visit from Comcast today, and even pointed out this screen to the Comcast guy. He had no idea what to do with it. I asked why it said "copy protection key: disabled", and "host validation: unknown". No clue on their part. I am currently using the fourth set of CableCards they have brought (ie, #7 and #8) and Abt has even swaped out my TiVo unit. Yesterday, Comcast changed the splitter coming into my house to increase the total voltage to 2000 (my old splitter had 1000mHz). Today, Comcast took my splitter off and tried with the line going straight to my TiVo, that did not work either.

The only other thing that we have not tried is something TiVo suggested, but most likely will not work. TiVo said that the current version of TiVo software was 8.0.1. Version 8.1 is due to come out Nov 14th. They will be sending it to boxes then. But, I don't think this will fix the problem. It has to do with the cards not being able to decrypt the signal for the premium channels.

Out of curiosity, are you on the Comcast Southwest 1,4,5 service, or the Northwest 2,3? The best thing Comcast can say to me is that "it must be my area". Very frustrating.

Last edited by mkibbe : 11-05-2006 at 06:36 PM.
mkibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #1089
djnewlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago suburb
Posts: 46
The Trouble With Premiums...

Having ABT swap out the TiVo, and and trying your 4th pair of CCs, along with cable feed improvements, really seems to point to what doctord is saying in his response to this problem... that this is likely a problem at Comcast's end (coding, etc.). His advice to check the CC#s is good advice. I have taken the cards out (with the TiVo powered off, to keep the Data#s from changing), and re-confirmed I have the #s correct (all 4 of them per card!).

I live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago... I'm not sure how to verify the Southwest or Northwest #s you quote though - can you elaborate on how to get this info?

I still think taking the S3 to their office might be a good last resort. I have unplugged my working S3, and it always works when I power it back up (including the premiums).

I think it is clear that Comcast is doing the very minimum to comply with the FCC mandated CableCard support... and I would argue they are not really complying... somehow the term passive-aggressive comes to mind...

Doug

=======================

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkibbe
DJNEWLIN, you are the first person that I have heard of that is having the exact same problem as me. I know exactly what you are talking about on the Conditional Access screen. In fact, I had my sixth visit from Comcast today, and even pointed out this screen to the Comcast guy. He had no idea what to do with it. I asked why it said "copy protection key: disabled", and "host validation: unknown". No clue on their part. I am currently using the fourth set of CableCards they have brought (ie, #7 and #8) and Abt has even swaped out my TiVo unit. Yesterday, Comcast changed the splitter coming into my house to increase the total voltage to 2000 (my old splitter had 1000mHz). Today, Comcast took my splitter off and tried with the line going straight to my TiVo, that did not work either.

The only other thing that we have not tried is something TiVo suggested, but most likely will not work. TiVo said that the current version of TiVo software was 8.0.1. Version 8.1 is due to come out Nov 14th. They will be sending it to boxes then. But, I don't think this will fix the problem. It has to do with the cards not being able to decrypt the signal for the premium channels.

Out of curiosity, are you on the Comcast Southwest 1,4,5 service, or the Northwest 2,3? The best thing Comcast can say to me is that "it must be my area". Very frustrating.

djnewlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #1090
mkibbe
mkib
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks for the response! Yes, I did take the cards out today with today's Comcast visit and confirmed the serial numbers. Also, I asked the Comcast guy to confirm that the correct CableCard, Host and Data numbers from the Pairing window were in his system. He said they were.

As to the area you are in, when you go through the TiVo Guided Setup, it asks you to choose the correct Comcast cable lineup (Southwest 1,4,5 or Northwest 2,3, etc.). I found it on one of my Comcast notices that came in the mail some time ago. This usually refers to the channel line up you get. I ask because I am technically in the Southwest 1,4,5 Rebuild zone. I was wondering if there was something about my zone that was giving these cards a hard time with respect to decrypting the signal. It is just hard to believe that all eight Cablecards and two differnet TiVo units are having the same exact problem. It MUST be on the Comcast end. But, I don't know enough about the Comcast system to suggest anything else to them. And, they don't know enough themselves. However, the fact that one of your boxes does work, and the other does not,....it suggests that it is not a problem with my zone.

I would love to hear from you if you are able to solve this problem. As I mentioned before, the only solution Comcast now has for me is to return the TiVo unit and use the Comcast HD DVR. I am NOT excited about that. I like my TiVo.
mkibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #1091
Gregor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,794
Could it be a signal strength problem?

One thing my Comcast installer noted was that bad connections would cause failures.
__________________
Wii: 5166-1365-9840-0899

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #1092
djnewlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago suburb
Posts: 46
Thumbs up Premiums at Last!

The Comcast CableCard Tech Support specialist just called ("Chris"). Long story short... my S3 is now getting all of the Premiums!

It only took Comcast about a minute or two. I had already written down all 4 numbers for each CC before he called. I read them off, so that he could confirm they were entered in his system correctly.

What was interesting, was that my S3 didn't even "react" when he did his thing at the head-end. No xxx-4 error, for example. When he said to check my channels, on the S3 Settings/CableCard/CC1/Test Channels, there they were! He then asked me to check CC2 the same way, and it had all premiums as well.

I tried to get out of him what exactly he did differently this time, but I didn't really get a good answer... He said he wanted to confirm all of my #s, and he said that they were all correct in the system. Then he said he was going to "Validate" the cards. And indeed my Conditional Access screen now shows "Host Validation: Valid 01".

I am quite convinced that this problem was at the Comcast head-end/configuration. I think perhaps Comcast is starting to get a handle on what to do.

Bottom line: Chris told me if I ever have this problem again, to call the Comcast number, menu to Tech Support, and tell them you need a call back to Validate/Pair your CCs. They have a policy to call back within 2 hours, and will have the CC tech specialist call you. Chris - thank you!!

I checked my bill and could not find the area I am in. My FCC Franchise Authority is DuPage County Center, Wheaton, IL if that helps...

Regards,

Doug

===================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkibbe
Thanks for the response! Yes, I did take the cards out today with today's Comcast visit and confirmed the serial numbers. Also, I asked the Comcast guy to confirm that the correct CableCard, Host and Data numbers from the Pairing window were in his system. He said they were.

As to the area you are in, when you go through the TiVo Guided Setup, it asks you to choose the correct Comcast cable lineup (Southwest 1,4,5 or Northwest 2,3, etc.). I found it on one of my Comcast notices that came in the mail some time ago. This usually refers to the channel line up you get. I ask because I am technically in the Southwest 1,4,5 Rebuild zone. I was wondering if there was something about my zone that was giving these cards a hard time with respect to decrypting the signal. It is just hard to believe that all eight Cablecards and two differnet TiVo units are having the same exact problem. It MUST be on the Comcast end. But, I don't know enough about the Comcast system to suggest anything else to them. And, they don't know enough themselves. However, the fact that one of your boxes does work, and the other does not,....it suggests that it is not a problem with my zone.

I would love to hear from you if you are able to solve this problem. As I mentioned before, the only solution Comcast now has for me is to return the TiVo unit and use the Comcast HD DVR. I am NOT excited about that. I like my TiVo.

djnewlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #1093
Walt_3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3
I agree with you. As we say in silicon valley, he's pulling numbers out of his butt. No one here knows the extent of the problem, which, by the way, I'm having also.
Walt_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #1094
Walt_3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahermusic
Going to be new Comcast customer moving into a newly built home. Will not have internet off the bat, I want to get the video up so I can later do a internet self-install.

Does anyone know:

1) If I can self-install 2 cable cards in the TiVo Series 3 myself? (Location is Crosswicks, NJ 08515... Garden State System)

and

2) Will installation be successful through the TiVo WITHOUT the TiVo connected to the internet, since there will be no internet at first?

Thanks in advance,

mahermusic
I don't think they will allow you to install the CC's yourself. The reason, as I understand it, is that they have to burn eeprom's on the cards out in the truck before they give it to you to insure that someone can't swipe your card and get free cable for the rest of their life, or something like that.
Walt_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #1095
mkibbe
mkib
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin
The Comcast CableCard Tech Support specialist just called ("Chris"). Long story short... my S3 is now getting all of the Premiums!


===================================
WOW! You give me hope. Since it is 10:30pm right now,...I will wait until tomorrow and call. I hope this works. Did this guy Chris have you take your cards out and reinstall them? Or, did you just read him the numbers and he did his thing on his end? And, which exact numbers should I have for him? My Host and CableCard numbers? Do I need to pull them out again and get my serial numbers too? Since I am on the 7th and 8th set, I did not write them down myself and let the Comcast guy do it.

Thank you so much!
mkibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #1096
doctord
Registered User
 
doctord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 77
You definately need to write down the card serial numbers and have Comcast verify the numbers were correctly entered into their system under your account.
doctord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #1097
Jack D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 164
I got my S3 and CCs working this weekend except that the picture on all channels breaks up at random intervals. I've tried swapping all the cables, the signal strength is in the mid 90s. Comcast "hit" the cards. I rebooted. Still same problem. Could this be a problem with the cards? I'm getting all the channels I am supposed to but just not without the picture breaking up. I used the exact same set up (cables etc) with my comcast moto DSTB and no problem.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #1098
debbie6754
Registered User
 
debbie6754's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35
Ugh

This is an ongoing saga. Comcast was here for 3 hours on Wednesady. Couldn't get the ccs to work. He came back on Thursday only to learn that their system (box drivers) was down. He reschduled for today. I just got a call that the box drivers are down again. They have no idea if or when they will come back up. They have now rescheduled for Thursday.

I am really glad that my S3 works without the ccs, but I would like to see my new TV in HD.

__________________
Debbie
debbie6754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #1099
djnewlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago suburb
Posts: 46
Numbers, numbers and more numbers...

I wrote down all 5 numbers per CC (S/N starting with "NG"xxxx, Unit Address, CC tm #, Host ID, Data #). And no, he did not ask me to pull out the CCs and reinsert them.

Please know that if you pull out your CCs while your TiVo is powered up, you will cause the Data # to change each time! And this may break your pairing at the head-end.

I powered down my TiVo, pulled out CC1, wrote down both the numbers on the card (the S/N "NG"xxxxx and the Unit Address). Then I put CC1 back in, did the same for CC2 and then powered the TiVo back up. Then I went to the Settings/CC menu and wrote down the CC tm, Host ID and Data #. It really seems over the top how many numbers they have in this security protocol.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Doug

===============================

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkibbe
WOW! You give me hope. Since it is 10:30pm right now,...I will wait until tomorrow and call. I hope this works. Did this guy Chris have you take your cards out and reinstall them? Or, did you just read him the numbers and he did his thing on his end? And, which exact numbers should I have for him? My Host and CableCard numbers? Do I need to pull them out again and get my serial numbers too? Since I am on the 7th and 8th set, I did not write them down myself and let the Comcast guy do it.

Thank you so much!

djnewlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #1100
debbie6754
Registered User
 
debbie6754's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin
I wrote down all 5 numbers per CC (S/N starting with "NG"xxxx, Unit Address, CC tm #, Host ID, Data #). And no, he did not ask me to pull out the CCs and reinsert them.

Please know that if you pull out your CCs while your TiVo is powered up, you will cause the Data # to change each time! And this may break your pairing at the head-end.

I powered down my TiVo, pulled out CC1, wrote down both the numbers on the card (the S/N "NG"xxxxx and the Unit Address). Then I put CC1 back in, did the same for CC2 and then powered the TiVo back up. Then I went to the Settings/CC menu and wrote down the CC tm, Host ID and Data #. It really seems over the top how many numbers they have in this security protocol.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Doug

===============================
How did you power down your Tivo? Did you pull the plug? Tivo has advised against doing this.
__________________
Debbie
debbie6754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #1101
jlib
Lean Forward
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Carmel Valley, California
Posts: 1,063
It is a journaled file system so there is no problem unplugging (if you don't want to lose part of your scheduled recording do it when it is not recording anything on your to do list) it but if it bugs you just do a restart from the menu and unplug when the screen goes blank
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #1102
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.
 
hiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area (Novato)
Posts: 1,352
Heads Up

Quote:
Beginning Monday, November 6, 2006, a third party Call Center (UEI) will be contacting Comcast customers that have CableCARDs and taking them through their television menu to capture host information relative to the CableCARDs connected to their television.

Accounts that do not have the necessary host information will lose digital channels at the beginning of next year, once we activate the mandated Copy Protection Management System.
Entire Comcast message here.

What is this mandated Copy Protection Management System?
__________________
DirecTV TiVo HR10-250
DirecTV STB Samsung SIR-TS360
DirecTV DVR HR20-100
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #1103
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Entire Comcast message here.

What is this mandated Copy Protection Management System?
The Comcast message is a bit ... goofy.
Quote:
Why this is Happening:

ˇ This is an FCC mandated initiative.
Uhh ... not really. This is very poorly worded.
Quote:
ˇ When we launched CableCARDs there was and is a secondary piece of information that we should have been collecting from the customers at the time of install.
Very true.

Comcast is upgrading their head-end / CA from a system that does NOT require host-identification to one that does. This step is / was always in the CA vendor's roadmaps. They could have been collecting the host information from the start ... but they didn't ... so, now they have to call everyone to get it.

See the following CableCard support document from Motorola. Describes (pretty well) what / why this is happening. Even describes the "Copy Protection Management System" headend device.

http://broadband.motorola.com/catalo...per_sept03.pdf

I have no clue where Comcast gets this "FCC mandated" part from.
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #1104
ah30k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,206
Here's the story as I know it.

The DAC is the headend component that authorizes set tops to receive protected content.

There are old DACs and new DACs.

The new DACs all require pairing (a field tech calling in to the headend operator to report your CC#, Host# and unique hashed pairing Data#) and fully support protected content (ie copy once, copy never etc).

The old DACs do not support the full copy protection system (thus not requiring pairing data to be entered). This is why some people can get away with doing self-installs. This old system has some workarounds to try to get partially at copy protection but it is really just a hack and does not meet the needs of braoadcasters who want full control like copy once/never/freely.

Those old systems must be getting replaced with newer systems to become compliant. The headends will need to go collect the pairing info to allow a migration to the new systems.

Edit - Oops, smeak.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #1105
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,013
BTW, without the host-pairing information ... the CableCard CA system isn't all that secure against 'hacked' devices. Ie, if you open up your shiny new S3 and figure out a way to get all that 'secure' content unencrypted off the hard drive and start posting torrents ... Motorola wouldn't have a way to (effectively) revoke CableCards in S3s and stop you and everyone else from doing the same thing. The host-paring data and CPMS lets them (selectively) revoke hosts ... ie, 'revoke' hacked devices where the manufacturer has failed to meet their 'robustness requirements'.
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #1106
sloejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkibbe
Has anyone had a problem getting the premium channels to come in with the Tivo Series 3 HD unit and the Motorola Comcast CableCards???? The Comcast guys as well as the high-end intallers from Abt Electronics have been out here five times and no one can get it to work. I also called TiVo several times with no good solution. I am about to return this Series 3 unit if we can't get this to work. Thought I would check the forum to see if anyone else had this problem.
I had this problem originally, Ultimately got resolved by going through the activation process with comcast and providing them the correct id numbers for the various cards. Me thinks something got transposed in the original setup and that's what caused the problem. I think you'll need the Card Serial # (on the card physically so you'll have to pull it out) and then the Host and Data #s which you can get from the CableCARD setup screen for each one. I'd write all this stuff down before calling comcast and have the cards back in place since removing them after setup seems to cause them to reset in some way that you lose the premium channels again.
sloejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #1107
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.
 
hiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area (Novato)
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
BTW, without the host-pairing information ... the CableCard CA system isn't all that secure against 'hacked' devices. Ie, if you open up your shiny new S3 and figure out a way to get all that 'secure' content unencrypted off the hard drive and start posting torrents ... Motorola wouldn't have a way to (effectively) revoke CableCards in S3s and stop you and everyone else from doing the same thing. The host-paring data and CPMS lets them (selectively) revoke hosts ... ie, 'revoke' hacked devices where the manufacturer has failed to meet their 'robustness requirements'.
Do we know which menu on the S3 that contains the Host and Secure Data IDs they will be calling for?
__________________
DirecTV TiVo HR10-250
DirecTV STB Samsung SIR-TS360
DirecTV DVR HR20-100
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #1108
loughlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3
Cable card turned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by loughlin
Update on this. On the second appointment with Comcast, tech called the morning of the appointment to say they were out of cable cards. Rescheduled a third time and tech shows up with only one cable card. Scheduled forth appointment, tech shows up with two cable cards. He can not get it to work and is blaming Tivo for the problem. I get Tivo tech support on the phone who expains to the tech that the problem is with Comcast and not the Tivo. I have to repeatedly insist that the cable card not be installed on the TV. The tech understood what was going on and sympathized but he was being pressured by the headend to install on the TV. Finally after three hours of arguing including several trips by the tech to his truck to have a personal conversation with the headend, the tech was able to talk them into letting him install on the Tivo. HD is now working.
Two days after this installation, one of my cable cards was turned off.
loughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #1109
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Do we know which menu on the S3 that contains the Host and Secure Data IDs they will be calling for?
It should be the CableCard MMI screen ... referenced in the installation directions:
http://www.tivo.com/pdfs/CableCARDInstall.pdf

See note at bottom:
TiVo Central -> Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, & Devices -> CableCARD Decoder -> select card -> Configure CableCARD -> CableCARD Menu
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #1110
treacherous
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 23
Another easy Redmond,WA Comcast office experience

I'm supposed to get my Series 3 tomorrow so stopped by Redmond office and picked up two cable cards.

-Said I needed two cable cards. I didn't specify what they were for.
-Asked me my phone number
-Rep had some issues getting cards put in system because I aleady have card for my TV. They got it working though.
-Rep asked their supervisor if there was a charge for extra cards. Supervisor said not yet. I didn't push the issue.
-Signed for cards and left.

5-10 minutes total.
__________________
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lifetime)
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lifetime) + 500GB WD Tivo Expander
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lifetime)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
treacherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |