TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2006, 12:14 AM   #991
MJedi

Question. I currently only subscribe to Digital Plus. If I want to add one of the premium channels (HBO or Cinemax), are they just going to turn on something on their end? Will it affect the CC's? Will I need another initialize and hit? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:35 AM   #992
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJedi
Question. I currently only subscribe to Digital Plus. If I want to add one of the premium channels (HBO or Cinemax), are they just going to turn on something on their end? Will it affect the CC's? Will I need another initialize and hit? Thanks in advance.
As I understand it, they will send what's called an EMM to authorize additional channels. The EMM is just an update to the authorization list on the cablecard.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 AM   #993
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
As I understand it, they will send what's called an EMM to authorize additional channels. The EMM is just an update to the authorization list on the cablecard.
"Entitlement Management Message"
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #994
winpitt

OK, Comcast was out yesterday to install a CC in my Toshiba DLP. After about 2.5 hours, determined that the firmware for the Toshiba needed to be upgraded in order to support correct functionality of the CC. They called Toshiba who concurred. Toshiba is to send the new firmware next week, and Comcast will be back out. The firmware of the Toshiba seems to be about 5 major revisions out of date.

Comcast tested the exact CC in their device at my location and it came up OK.
winpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #995
MJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
So it shouldn't "de-initialize" the card? Or I won't need to request a hit again?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:51 PM   #996
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJedi
So it shouldn't "de-initialize" the card? Or I won't need to request a hit again?
You shouldn't have to do anything except ask them to add whatever package you want and the channels should be viewable shortly thereafter.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #997
bugsmom

UGGGGGGGGG...spent the whole day waiting on my cards (after 2 week wait for install).....my original time was 8-11...guy showed up at 2:20...with 2 cards...of course one did not work and have a reschedule for tomorrow.....the 2 guys left at 4:40.....this is in Atlanta...OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bugsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #998
N7TB

Was going to order an S3, but with Comcast and reading all the hassles with them and the Cablecards, I think I best wait for awhile to purchase the S3. Almost bleeding edge technology right now. I would think Tivo would be leaning pretty hard on the Cable companies to get their acts together, because right now, lack of technical knowledge/support by comcast is costing Tivo business.
N7TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:17 PM   #999
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7TB
Was going to order an S3, but with Comcast and reading all the hassles with them and the Cablecards, I think I best wait for awhile to purchase the S3. Almost bleeding edge technology right now. I would think Tivo would be leaning pretty hard on the Cable companies to get their acts together, because right now, lack of technical knowledge/support by comcast is costing Tivo business.
This is wise, IMO.

If you have a lifetime, though, I'd go ahead and get the S3 unit now, get lifetime transferred to it.

Let it sit, or use it without CableCARDs for a while if you want--to let your local Comcast shop stop sucking so bad with the new technology.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:59 PM   #1000
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Finally

Finally Comcast showed up. Had my S3 almost 3 weeks and today was the 1st available time for Comcast. I'd been running it with antenna and basic cable until today. Good HD from the antenna, but with some audio dropouts.

The cable guy was great....very knowledgeable. He was not a subcontractor. I asked if he'd done any S3's and he said probably 15, or so. I already had the Tivo on and he immediately started writing down the appropriate numbers, then inserted card #1. It showed up on the cc screen and he called it in. The person who answered his call told him the entire computer system was down and that she couldn't help him until it came back, maybe today, maybe not, call back later.

He looked at me and said "I don't trust her, I'm calling my supervisor directly".
Well, he did, and the super. told him the system was NOT down and proceeded to do the init. My cable guy said to his supervisor "Yeah, she claimed it was down, and you know who I'm talking about...we need to have a pow-wow about her". He told me "She's busy talking on her personal phone, and doesn't want to be interrupted by us field guys".

Next, his super. wanted to do both cards at once, and my cable guy said, no, these new Tivos come with a cc instruction sheet, and they say that the cards must be done one at a time, so that's what we need to do. (He had not even glanced at the Tivo instruction sheet I had on the tv, so he really had done 'em before).

Only problem came next. Everything seemed to be going according to plan, but when the message came up saying "Acquiring channels, please wait" it took almost 25 minutes for that to happen. Amazingly, he was more patient than I was, so we waited. He said its normally only a few minutes for the process.
Well, it finally worked, but on the "test channels" screen we only had a small smattering of channels. He told his super. to hit it again. The next hit got the card running correctly. He did the 2nd card and it worked immediately after init.

We went thru the channels on both cards and everything was there, HD and all.
When he was leaving he said if I had any trouble at all with the cards to give him a call. He said don't call the Comcast number...they are very uninformed about the cards. He gave me and his own Comcast office number and his cell number. He also gave me his supervisor's direct line number and said his boss could always get hold of him. Super guy who really knew what he was doing.

All-in-all, even with the minor scares, a pretty smooth installation. I was very impressed. It took almost exactly an hour, but that included the first call to the lazy person (his words), and the unusually long wait for the channels to show up. Got there at 11:45 and left at 12:46.

After he left, I ran another guided setup, and it worked perfectly. Went thru and deselected all the unwanted channels, then set up some season passes. Tonight we watched 3 shows that it recorded. All were beautiful HD and all looked perfect, with no audio dropouts either.

I am very very pleased and relieved that I avoided most of the horror stories I have read here. Maybe the long 2-3 week wait I had to endure turned out to be a blessing in disguise... they now have some experience and things are getting done right.

Last edited by Georgia Guy : 10-28-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Georgia Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #1001
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Guy
Finally Comcast showed up. Had my S3 almost 3 weeks and today was the 1st available time for Comcast. I'd been running it with antenna and basic cable until today. Good HD from the antenna, but with some audio dropouts.

The cable guy was great....very knowledgeable. He was not a subcontractor. I asked if he'd done any S3's and he said probably 15, or so. I already had the Tivo on and he immediately started writing down the appropriate numbers, then inserted card #1. It showed up on the cc screen and he called it in. The person who answered his call told him the entire computer system was down and that she couldn't help him until it came back, maybe today, maybe not, call back later.

He looked at me and said "I don't trust her, I'm calling my supervisor directly".
Well, he did, and the super. told him the systems was NOT down and proceeded to do the init. My cable guy said to his supervisor "Yeah, she claimed it was down, and you know who I'm talking about...we need to have a pow-wow about her". He told me "She's busy talking on her personal phone, and doesn't want to be interrupted by us field guys".

Next, his super. wanted to do both cards at once, and my cable guy said, no, these new Tivos come with a cc instruction sheet, and they say that the cards must be done one at a time, so that's what we need to do. (He had not even glanced at the Tivo instruction sheet I had on the tv, so he really had done 'em before).

Only problem came next. Everything seemed to be going according to plan, but when the message came up saying "Acquiring channels, please wait" it took almost 25 minutes for that to happen. Amazingly, he was more patient than I was, so we waited. He said its normally only a few minutes for the process.
Well, it finally worked, but on the "test channels" screen we only had a small smattering of channels. He told his super. to hit it again. The next hit got the card running correctly. He did the 2nd card and it worked immediately after init.

We went thru the channels on both cards and everything was there, HD and all.
When he was leaving he said if I had any trouble at all with the cards to give him a call. He said don't call the Comcast number...they are very uninformed about the cards. He gave me and his own Comcast office number and his cell number. He also gave me his supervisor's direct line number and said his boss could always get hold of him. Super guy who really knew what he was doing.

All-in-all, even with the minor scares, a pretty smooth installation. I was very impressed. It took almost exactly an hour, but that included the first call to the lazy person (his words), and the unusually long wait for the channels to show up. Got there at 11:45 and left at one 12:46.

After he left, I ran another guided setup, and it worked perfectly. Went thru and deselected all the unwanted channels, then set up some season passes. Tonight we watched 3 shows that it recorded. All were beautiful HD and all looked perfect, with no audio dropouts either.

I am very very pleased and relieved that I avoided most of the horror stories I have read here. Maybe the long 2-3 week wait I had to endure turned out to be a blessing in disguise... they now have some experience and things are getting done right.
Damn, that IS impressive. Nice job Comcast Atlanta.

3 weeks definately helped you.

I love seeing people good at their work. A rare sight these days. I love it even better when they call out the incompetent lazy f*ks in front of me. Makes me want to hug 'em or give 'em a $20 just on principle.

Hey, can you call him and see if he knows anyone like him in Baltimore? Half-serious here as it may work and I have another S3 coming.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #1002
cgatens

Just called Comcast in NJ to get my 2 Cards and they said they are all out. There was a recall on them and they may have them back in a month or so.
cgatens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #1003
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winpitt
I'm a member of my Franchise Authority. It has no effect. Comcast is too big and frankly ignores Franchise Authorities. It will only get worse if any of the proposed state or federal changes to state-wide or national franchise agreements are passed.
If this is about rates, apparently they are not a local franchise authority thing (so I've been told, and have read). That's an FCC issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #1004
debbie6754

Comcast Charges

OK, so what are we all paying Comcast? I think it varies wildly. I do not currently have a cable box on the TV where my Tivo is, but I have digital cable. They told me the cost is $7.95 per cablecard.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #1005
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie6754
OK, so what are we all paying Comcast? I think it varies wildly. I do not currently have a cable box on the TV where my Tivo is, but I have digital cable. They told me the cost is $7.95 per cablecard.
My installer yesterday, who seemed quite knowlegable, told me that the cards are free, but they are going to charge me $5.95 each for the 2 outlets. I told him it was just one box with 2 cards, and he said he understood how I felt, but that Comcast was counting each card as an outlet. He said I could try and argue with the Comcast bureaucracy, but "good luck". The customer service people told me a few weeks ago that the cards were $6.95 a month each.
When I return the dvr6412 it will knock $9.95 off the monthly bill.

Right now, I subscribe to the digital "silver" package with HBO only. That costs $104 per month, but includes the 6412 and another digital box (5100....which I'm going to keep, that I have for my S2 to control). After the cards get onto the bill, and I return the 6412, I'm guessing my bill will probably about $105.95
Old 10-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #1006
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie6754
We all seem to be paying different amounts depending on location. Here in the Twin Cities area I get one free cable card that’s include with my TV package(Enhanced Cable $48.98) and get charged $4.95 for the second card. I was charged $15.49 for the truck roll and another $13.49 to install the second cable card. I had no installation problems, two Motorola cards (ver 4.21) worked right away and installation was completed in 30 min.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #1007
jfh3

With the new corporate position on CableCARDs (see your printed bill starting in October), cards should be $1.50/month, in line with the FCC guidelines (even though they've been telling that the CableCARDs are free).

Many Comcast billing systems aren't set to handle this yet, which is why most get the "digital outlet" charge (designed for those that are actually renting a digital coverter from the cable company).

If you are paying more than $3/month for 2 cards (or $1.50 if you have a digital package and no other company supplied equipment), call and complain and get a credit on your bill until they get the billing systems to catch up with the policy.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:32 AM   #1008
Phyzx

Strange Happenings can anyone please help

I'm on my Second Install. Comcast left 2 cable cards and both are not really working. Card 2 on Test Channels shows "No Channels available", Card 1 only shows the analogue channels and a FEW digital channels and the local HD stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS). ESPN HD has no Sound. No HBO, etc. Now the funny part if I remove the second (non-working?) card BOTH tuners still work for the HD and other channels. Things get stranger when I remove the slightly working card and put in the other card that shows "No Channels" on test, both tuners still work as I can record 2 HD streams. When both cards are removed I get nothing. I am more convinced that this is a problem on the Comcast end. Both Cards show the same information on the paring screen, which says nothing is active. Comcast has claimed that both cards have been HIT. Is there something I can tell them to try, as I don’t think my account is setup correctly and they are reaching the “TiVo just don’t work with Cablecards”
Phyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #1009
gdun55

I now have my S3 working fine. While the problem I had was not talked about much in the forum, the following info may help others.

First of all, Comcast has been responsive and knowledgable here in Annapolis, MD. The issue with set-up seems to be the ability of the person at the other end of the phone when they do the Cable Card pairing. My tech asked for a specific person who he knew has done these before. That person's skill is critical to make the pairing work. Not all people know how to do it.

Also listen as he reads the numbers over the phone and check what he says. I wrong number and it won't work.

My first S3 would freeze during HDef playback or recording. Tivo had not heard of the problem and sent me a replacement. The same thing happen with the 2nd unit. When the tech returned he found the signal strength to the box was OK, but not great. He replace the coax outside my house and picked up a better signal, all is well now. So-so signal can cause HDef freezing.
gdun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #1010
winpitt

Is anyone on this thread a former Adelphia and now Comcast customer with an S3? Trying to find out if I'd likely experience a DRM issue with InHD and the S3. The thread that mentions it is at

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1&page=2&pp=30

Having limited success at the moment with CC in my Toshiba DLP. Assuming I get that worked out, am planning to try the S3.
winpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #1011
djnewlin

Question Would you believe... Missed it by that much!

I am having trouble with my S3 CC install - it works for all channels on both tuners/CCs, except for the premium (movie) channels.

I have had Comcast "overflow" tech support "hit" the cards (I give them the "NGxxxxx" serial number found on the outside of the card), which resets the card. But it never gets the Premium/Movie channels. Each time I try e.g., HBO, I get the TiVo CC Pairing screen. Last night, I finally got a call from a local Comcast tech who only works on CC issues. I even got the S3 xxx-4 Error that everyone looks for, indicating the CC and S3 received a full hit. But always with the same result...

Has anyone had this problem, of no Premium/Movie channels on their CC?

I have also noticed that when you pull the CC out and re-insert it, it changes the "Data" number as seen on the CC Pairing Screen. This has got to be the goofiest protocol I have ever seen! The S3 pairing screen shows 4 different numbers: CC #, Host #, Data # and Unit #. WTF? DirecTV seems to do just fine with their system using only 2 numbers: S/N of box and S/N of card. And neither of them change each time you pull out the card!

The price of being an early adopter

Comcast is coming back out tomorrow with 2 new CCs. I have also added a high quality cable amplifier to my setup, right at the point where Comcast enters my home. The S3 in question is a pretty long run from the main entry point. My other S3 box works great in the Family Room, with v4.21 Motorola CCs, but it is a much shorter cable run. My latest theory is perhaps the premium/movie channels authorization is more sensitive to signal strength. I'm probably grasping at straws here, but I'm not doing any worse than Comcast at figuring out the problem!

I'll post an update tomorrow - wish me luck

Regards,

Doug
djnewlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #1012
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin
I am having trouble with my S3 CC install - it works for all channels on both tuners/CCs, except for the premium (movie) channels.
Sounds like a programming authorization problem, not a CC problem.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:33 AM   #1013
ah30k

1) self installation depends on your region with it most likely you will need a truck-roll. I am not familiar with the policy in your region.

2) the S3 can be set up with a phone connection until your internet is ready.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:47 AM   #1014
cgould

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
With the new corporate position on CableCARDs (see your printed bill starting in October), cards should be $1.50/month, in line with the FCC guidelines (even though they've been telling that the CableCARDs are free).

Many Comcast billing systems aren't set to handle this yet, which is why most get the "digital outlet" charge (designed for those that are actually renting a digital coverter from the cable company).

If you are paying more than $3/month for 2 cards (or $1.50 if you have a digital package and no other company supplied equipment), call and complain and get a credit on your bill until they get the billing systems to catch up with the policy.
Overall this concept is correct, but details may vary.. and yes, they did switch it this month, I actually got billed at first with BOTH schemes so do call cust svc and ask to get it fixed. You can ask them to check with the "Tivo memo".

In the SF Bay Area at least, the cablecard pricing is "free" for the first, but $1.50 for the second (a way to bill something for Tivo dual-card single device, rather than a 2nd-device card), and around $15 for installation. (Note, they may try to charge another $13.99 or so for 2nd digital installation, thinking you were installing 2 TVs, you can ask to have that taken off.)

They may still charge $6.95 for addnl digital outlet, IF you also have an existing digital STB (I believe they would charge this even for TV cablecard in addition to a STB.) But they should only charge it ONCE per Tivo, NOT per card.
Digital service tiers/packages include one digital outlet, so you shouldn't pay $6.95 if the Tivo+2 cards is the only digital outlet you have.
You should also not have to pay any $5 HD fee (that is for the more expensive HD STB, vs the SD STB.)

Again, regional/local prices may vary, but this is the Bay Area new pricing standard this month and seems fairly widespread.
cgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:05 AM   #1015
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahermusic
Going to be new Comcast customer moving into a newly built home. Will not have internet off the bat, I want to get the video up so I can later do a internet self-install.

Does anyone know:

1) If I can self-install 2 cable cards in the TiVo Series 3 myself? (Location is Crosswicks, NJ 08515... Garden State System)
Dunno, but doubt it - I'm in SJ and Comcast down here doesn't seem to allow self installs of cable cards.

Quote:
2) Will installation be successful through the TiVo WITHOUT the TiVo connected to the internet, since there will be no internet at first?
Yes, you should be able to setup the CC's, but you won't be able to complete guided setup of course.

Having said that, if you have an ordinary phone line around, you can use that - local call. Takes longer, but works.

Chris.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:53 AM   #1016
Roderigo

Quote:
Each time I try e.g., HBO, I get the TiVo CC Pairing screen. Last night, I finally got a call from a local Comcast tech who only works on CC issues. I even got the S3 xxx-4 Error that everyone looks for, indicating the CC and S3 received a full hit. But always with the same result...
This means the card hasn't been validated by the headend. The card will show the MMI whenever you try to tune to a copy protected channel when the card's not bound to the host. Check the Condition Access screen from the CableCARD menu. It has a line that says if the cards have been bound (host validation, if I recall correctly).

Quote:
I have also noticed that when you pull the CC out and re-insert it, it changes the "Data" number as seen on the CC Pairing Screen. This has got to be the goofiest protocol I have ever seen! The S3 pairing screen shows 4 different numbers: CC #, Host #, Data # and Unit #. WTF? DirecTV seems to do just fine with their system using only 2 numbers: S/N of box and S/N of card. And neither of them change each time you pull out the card!
This is specific to the Motorola cards. They change the data number anytime the host/card binding has been broken. Are you putting the cards back into the same slot you took them out of? If not, you're contributing to the problem you're having. While some cable companies allow this - your cable copmany setup does not. There's also an option where the cable company can break this binding from the headend - so it's possible one of their "hits" caused the cards to break their binding. Any time you break the binding, you need to call up the cable company and give them the new data number, so they can validate the pairing again. Just sending a hit will never help if they don't have the host id, cablecard id, and data correct in the system.

New cablecards may help allow them to get it set up propely, but it doesn't sound like your cards are malfunctioning.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #1017
Tsar Chasm

I had my Cablecard install yesterday. My Comcast installer was an HD TiVo virgin. Install went like clockwork, no issues.
Tsar Chasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #1018
djnewlin

Exclamation No Premium Channels - cont...

Roderigo - thank you for your reply! I am looking at the Conditional Access screen right now. It says "Host Validation: Unknown 00" When I checked my other Series3 box that works correctly, it says "Host Validation: Valid 00" You are on to something!

The Comcast tech just left, after swapping out the CCs for the 3rd time. This represents the 5th and 6th CC, and again the same results: all channels except for Premium/Movie channels! Do you know the precise action I need to ask Comcast to take? Something like: "Host Validation Hit for Premium Service" or some other phrase? If I knew exactly what to ask for (and by whom) I think I could get this resolved...

Again, thank you for your reply!

Regards,

Doug
p.s.
I have been very careful to put the CCs back in the original slot, and only when the Comcast tech asks me to, because of how it changes the Data # Good point!

============================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
This means the card hasn't been validated by the headend. The card will show the MMI whenever you try to tune to a copy protected channel when the card's not bound to the host. Check the Condition Access screen from the CableCARD menu. It has a line that says if the cards have been bound (host validation, if I recall correctly).

This is specific to the Motorola cards. They change the data number anytime the host/card binding has been broken. Are you putting the cards back into the same slot you took them out of? If not, you're contributing to the problem you're having. While some cable companies allow this - your cable company setup does not. There's also an option where the cable company can break this binding from the headend - so it's possible one of their "hits" caused the cards to break their binding. Any time you break the binding, you need to call up the cable company and give them the new data number, so they can validate the pairing again. Just sending a hit will never help if they don't have the host id, cablecard id, and data correct in the system.

New cablecards may help allow them to get it set up propely, but it doesn't sound like your cards are malfunctioning.

djnewlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #1019
wbswbs

No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7TB
You have to put this thread in perspective. Everyone on here, myself included, are way more into their TIVOs than normal people. For everyone person that posts a horror story, I suspect there are a dozen installs that go just fine. I have an S3 and my install when just about as good as possible. Took an extra day for the cards to re-initialize or whatever, but after that, everything is working just fine. The S3 rocks. Besides, the cable companies now have a bunch of installs under their belts, so things should be getting easier.
wbswbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:54 PM   #1020
gr0m1t

another easy install in seattle

on friday i went to the redmond cable store and picked up 2 cards on my way home from work. installed both cards, then called 1.800.comcast. the csr admitted to only having done a setup for an S3 only a couple times. but it went incredibly well. she was definitely working off of some sort of instruction sheet. i got the 161-4 error on the second card but not on the first one. but thanks to this forum, i knew to just ignore it (and she actually knew to ignore it, as well).

all in all, including being on hold for about 15 minutes, i was up and running with both cards (including premium channels) in about 30 minutes.

i just wish everyone could have had the same experience that many of us here in seattle have had. i was quite pleasantly surprised.

(i hope i didn't jinx anything!)
gr0m1t is offline   Reply With Quote