TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #961
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvt100
I called Comcast corporate in Philadelphia on the 17th and while getting responsive, courteous and even returned phone calls I still can't get an answer as to when cards will become available.

Are these the same cards that are used to power-up TVs? Anyone else experiencing the "yes we have no bannas" response?
There is only one version of cablecard.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #962
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
Then TiVo should take it back for a refund/exchange, I would think.
Absolutely, and there was no problems along those lines. The CSRs were professional and effcient, both at TiVo (for the service fee) and Circuit City (for the product).
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:39 PM   #963
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yizzung
When I got home last night (five days later) both cable cards worked. After doing absolutle nothing, the other card finally woke up somehow and began working.
I had the same experience, and then it stopped working again a few days later.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #964
mportuesi
As seen on TV

I ordered a TiVo Series 3 directly from Tivo this morning, because I finally decided I can't pass up the offer to transfer Lifetime from my S2 unit.

I called Comcast (via the 800 number listed on the website, for my zipcode in San Francisco). They were very clueful about Series 3 and CableCARD.

I said, "I have a TiVo Series 3. It's the new model with high definition, and I'd like to get CableCARD service".

The customer rep on the other end came back with, "Yes, you need high-definition CableCARD service. The first card is free, the second is $1.50 per month. Is that all right?"

"Perfect."

"Hold on just a moment will I update your account to add the high-definition CableCARDs." Two minutes of silence.

"Okay, I have someone who can come out tomorrow between noon and..."

At that point, I told her the unit hadn't arrived yet. So she offered some other days. When I found out they came out on Saturdays, I asked for Saturday November 4 (weekend after this one) for them to come out and do the installation. That will certainly allow enough time for the S3 to arrive.

We need to have the TV "three feet from the wall", and have an adult on hand for the cable tech.

So far, so good. It's pretty smooth sailing with Comcast so far.
mportuesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #965
jendotnet

Comcast - arguably a tough experience

I am being charged $23.99 per card for installation, even though they're going into the same box. There seemed to be no negotiating that. No monthly charge, though...

My complaint letter to Comcast will explain the rest of my experience:
========================================================
I just acquired a new HD Tivo, which is a dual-tuner, HD-capable DVR. The unit requires two CableCards to decode the digital channels.

I called customer service to request these cards.

The service agent began by noting that I had been a customer for over six years and that I had an excellent payment history, for which he thanked me.

I then explained what I needed for my new Tivo box. The service agent asked me to re-explain my need to his boss, so I did.

His boss told me that if I needed something for Tivo, I needed to call Tivo, not Comcast. I explained again that I needed CableCards for the tuners for the

Tivo, that my Tivo service was separate. He argued that they install CableCards for HD televisions, but that I must be mistaken in what I was requesting.

So I read the instructions that came with the Tivo to him, which clearly stated that I must call my cable company to get CableCard decoders.

I must have spent a full five minutes arguing that I knew what I was talking about; I was told that he had never heard of it after years with Comcast.

Finally, he put me on hold. When he came back, he said that he had found some information about it and that I needed two CableCards - exactly what I had

asked for originally!

This was a VERY frustrating experience. The supervisor I spoke with seemed condescending and assumed my ignorance without checking.

When I was FINALLY told I could schedule a service call for the installation, I was told that the first available appointment was over a week away.

And to top it all off, the agent then tried to upsell me to phone service! After treating me this way, it seems pretty bold to think I'm ready to purchase

additional services from Comcast.
jendotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #966
loughlin

Comcast Atlanta trouble getting Cable Cards

Comcast in Atlanta

Tech showed up last week and said he could only install the cable card in the TV and not in the Tivo. When I made this appointment I specifically had written in the order that I needed two cable cards for a Tivo S3. I sent the tech away and called Tivo and Comcast. Tivo said they had lawyers that handled this but that I should try Comcast further before going that route. Made another appointment with Comcast. The Comcast guy on the phone said there was nothing in the order for a Tivo with two cable cards. I could tell he was lying but I did not pursue this. Second appointment was supposed to be today and I got a call this morning from Comcast saying they are out of cable cards. Made another appointment for next week.

Does anyone know what the government regulatory authority is for cable? Seems like since the government grants the cable company a monopoly (which makes no sense), somehow the government should hold them accountable.

Pat
loughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #967
winpitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by loughlin
Comcast in Atlanta

Tech showed up last week and said he could only install the cable card in the TV and not in the Tivo. When I made this appointment I specifically had written in the order that I needed two cable cards for a Tivo S3. I sent the tech away and called Tivo and Comcast. Tivo said they had lawyers that handled this but that I should try Comcast further before going that route. Made another appointment with Comcast. The Comcast guy on the phone said there was nothing in the order for a Tivo with two cable cards. I could tell he was lying but I did not pursue this. Second appointment was supposed to be today and I got a call this morning from Comcast saying they are out of cable cards. Made another appointment for next week.

Does anyone know what the government regulatory authority is for cable? Seems like since the government grants the cable company a monopoly (which makes no sense), somehow the government should hold them accountable.

Pat
In Georgia at this point I don't believe you have yet gotten shafted by a state-wide franchise agreement. That means that you have a local Franchise Authority. You need to call your city/town/municipal offices and ask who is the contact for your Franchise Authority. They will be non-paid board members appointed by your council. They will have direct contacts with your local cable provider (MSO). Get them involved and you will get better feedback - assuming you're not in a currently transitioning community (involved in the Comcast/Adelphia/TW deal).

A couple notes: Your cable provider is not a monopoly really. Franchise agreements are by law non-exclusive. That means that as many providers as wish to can compete in your area. They choose not to because the cost of rolling out additional infrastructure leeches away margins when they need to share subscriptions. Most franchise authorities would love to have as many providers as possible.

Second, if either a state or federal franchise agreement is ever passed in GA or the US, you will no longer have representatives who can directly touch your providers. The proposed federal legislation puts that oversight into the FCC - but establishes not a single person or dollar to actually do it.

Prior to the Adelphia/Comcast/TW deal, we had some pretty good success in monitoring our provider. We reviewed service calls and requests on a monthly basis and were able to assist our residents. About 3 years ago the FCC removed cable delivered broadband from under the provisions of the Franchise Agreement. As a result, we lost the ability to help residents with service and quality related broadband issues. The FCC has never, ever responded to a single complaint from any of our residents since then.

Food for thought.
winpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #968
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Does anyone know what the government regulatory authority is for cable?
The FCC, but they say talk to your local franchising authority in the first place.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #969
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mportuesi
I ordered a TiVo Series 3 directly from Tivo this morning, because I finally decided I can't pass up the offer to transfer Lifetime from my S2 unit.

I called Comcast (via the 800 number listed on the website, for my zipcode in San Francisco). They were very clueful about Series 3 and CableCARD.

I said, "I have a TiVo Series 3. It's the new model with high definition, and I'd like to get CableCARD service".

The customer rep on the other end came back with, "Yes, you need high-definition CableCARD service. The first card is free, the second is $1.50 per month. Is that all right?"

"Perfect."

"Hold on just a moment will I update your account to add the high-definition CableCARDs." Two minutes of silence.

"Okay, I have someone who can come out tomorrow between noon and..."

At that point, I told her the unit hadn't arrived yet. So she offered some other days. When I found out they came out on Saturdays, I asked for Saturday November 4 (weekend after this one) for them to come out and do the installation. That will certainly allow enough time for the S3 to arrive.

We need to have the TV "three feet from the wall", and have an adult on hand for the cable tech.

So far, so good. It's pretty smooth sailing with Comcast so far.
Maybe I need to move to SF.
Here in Atlanta burbs, at first they had no clue what I was talking about. Finally, they quoted me $15 install, plus $6.99 PER card per month.
Then they told me 2 weeks before they could get to me. Maybe I shouldn't, but I'm expecting the worst when they finally do show up.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #970
JanS

Big Grin Comcast - Bay Area - Santa Clara

Hi All,

I am beyond thrilled. Both CableCards are working completely now!!!! The Comcast tech left a few minutes ago.

I had the original two cards installed into my S3 around some 4 weeks ago. And all this time one card worked completely and appeared properly provisioned (I think is the term). This was CableCard2. The other card, CableCard1, was never quite right. It would get the analog channels, the HD locals, but no digital channels, nor any HD premium (most notably 720 FSN-HD).

So, today's Comcast visit netted me a new card and a card hit. Now I get all channels on BOTH cards.

Interesting things I've noticed so far:

1) the firmware on the new card (in CableCard1 slot) is 4.21. The other card, CableCard2 is at firmware version 4.05.

2) the TiVo Conditional Access screen has more info under the 4.21 f/w level then the 4.05 level. It lists that there's DES encryption now.

3) the fact of the cards being on different f/w revs seems to have NO negative impact at all on the TiVo.

4) the physical cards themselves match now in terms of the colour and the artwork(?), etc... The old "bad" card had a very worn appearance and had stuff rubbed out on it. It looked pretty dogged. Both cards, that work, are newer looking cards. But indeed that old beat up red card had id'd itself to have version 4.05 of the firmware, which is the same version of the original "good" card.

5) a message that isn't seen on the cards with 4.05 f/w is now seen on the new one with 4.21 and that is on the pairing screen is has the msg "The CacleCARD considers the Host to have only one-way RF capability). That makes sense given that the cards (and service from Comcast is only one direction, i.e. no VOD, no interactive ability). That's at least what I assume the msg means..

6) this time the MMI (the term used here..) or at least that spinning wheel screen, it never appeared. The TiVo seemed to make NO notice that the card was being "re-hit"... I.e., I didn't see any thing happening on the TiVo screens.. I had the TiVo pointed to the pairing screen of the card being replaced (CableCard 1) while the tech and I were waiting on the "re-hit". After he waited on the radio for a response back from the person on the office side, he got her attention and she verified that the card had indeed been re-hit. So, it was then then I went into the "test channels" screen and found that my previosuly missing channels now appeared. Yeah!

So, bottom line, the new card made the difference. So, *maybe* the old card was indeed defective. I had tried to get the card "re-hit" over the phone without a truck roll. This netted NO difference. But even then I suspected that the problem was all at the headend side and not the card itself. But at any rate the new card and it being re-hit has solved my problems... So, I'm an even happier TiVo and Comcast customer now. Hopefully no problems going forward now. And all HD Sharks games will be waiting on the TiVo and no grey screens with empty recordings..

Now if all the audio dropout problems were magically gone...

Cheers,
--jans

p.s. this time I did get the oft-mentioned 161-4 error this time either when the TiVo recognized the card on insertion or at the time of the "hit" on the new card (I don't recall exactly). But, I had never gotten that before that I can recall.

Last edited by JanS : 10-24-2006 at 01:47 PM.
JanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #971
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanS
Now if all the audio dropout problems were magically gone...
Sure do HOPE so....let us know if there is any improvement.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #972
Maeglin

Quote:
Tech showed up last week and said he could only install the cable card in the TV and not in the Tivo. When I made this appointment I specifically had written in the order that I needed two cable cards for a Tivo S3. I sent the tech away and called Tivo and Comcast. Tivo said they had lawyers that handled this but that I should try Comcast further before going that route. Made another appointment with Comcast. The Comcast guy on the phone said there was nothing in the order for a Tivo with two cable cards.
I think the local area Comcast is just royally confused more than anything else. The tech that (finally) came out in my case said that she had 2 CableCARD installs that day, including mine... the earlier one had TiVo on the order when it was for a TV, and mine was the other way around. Fortunately, she had a spare when she came to my house.

There was otherwise no problem with the install... not only would she install in a TiVo, but knew exactly what she was doing.
Maeglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #973
jtkohl

Cool 1 good, 2 bad cards first day; good 2nd card on 2nd visit

Arlington, MA (Boston): The first installer here showed up yesterday with 3 cards. He said he'd done S3 TiVos before, but he didn't quite follow the directions. Put two cards in pretty quickly, went to look at their pairings. One card showed the initial "call the cable company" screen after a few minutes. The other card showed "no information", then something like "failed to load pod:///xx/xx" on the pairing screen. This card never worked right--it would cycle between the two states.
The third card got a 161-1 error.
So after fiddling around and hoping the 2nd card would get its brain in order, we gave up and he left me with just one CC in use, and an appointment for today.
Today's tech popped in the new card, left the pairing screen up, and in a couple of minutes it put up the "call your cableco". He called the office, got disconnected (poor Nextel reception), called back, they hit the card (161-4) and voila.

All done now.

Business office quoted free for 1st cablecard, $2.75/mo for the second, and install fees of $15.65 and $14.40 respectively.
jtkohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #974
Adams61

I called last week to schedule an appointment to have my cable cards installed. The guy came Monday morning and was very polite but he wasn't familiar with tivo and couldn't get the cards to work. He said someone else would come Tuesday to do it. Tuesday someone called and said they were still checking into it and would come another day this week. This morning I was called and told that my Comcast office's billing does not support cable cards for tivo but might be able to next summer. I was offered dvr's from Comcast. When I mentioned pursuing it further, the guy said he was the operations manager and he didn't know how I could pursue it further. I called the Comcast office in Philadelphia and asked for an executive assistant like I had read about on these boards. The lady that I spoke with didn't seem to know much about it..she said maybe they don't have the cable cards in stock. I explained that I was specifically told that it can't be done since their billing doesn't support cable cards for tivo. She took my info and said someone would call me back today but I never heard anything else. What should my next step be?
Adams61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #975
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkohl
Business office quoted free for 1st cablecard, $2.75/mo for the second, and install fees of $15.65 and $14.40 respectively.
I was charged the exact same amounts for my cable card install and monthly digital access fees. They must have standardized the CC fees in Massachusetts. It's funny to read how different they are around the country.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #976
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams61
I called last week to schedule an appointment to have my cable cards installed. The guy came Monday morning and was very polite but he wasn't familiar with tivo and couldn't get the cards to work. He said someone else would come Tuesday to do it. Tuesday someone called and said they were still checking into it and would come another day this week. This morning I was called and told that my Comcast office's billing does not support cable cards for tivo but might be able to next summer. I was offered dvr's from Comcast. When I mentioned pursuing it further, the guy said he was the operations manager and he didn't know how I could pursue it further. I called the Comcast office in Philadelphia and asked for an executive assistant like I had read about on these boards. The lady that I spoke with didn't seem to know much about it..she said maybe they don't have the cable cards in stock. I explained that I was specifically told that it can't be done since their billing doesn't support cable cards for tivo. She took my info and said someone would call me back today but I never heard anything else. What should my next step be?
Call Tivo support and tell them you need help getting cablecards. They will get on the phone with you and the cableco
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #977
Adams61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Call Tivo support and tell them you need help getting cablecards. They will get on the phone with you and the cableco
Thanks, SCSIRAID!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #978
ufo4sale

How do I find out where my local Comcast office is?
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:27 AM   #979
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale
How do I find out where my local Comcast office is?
For me, it's on my monthly statement.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:09 AM   #980
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
For me, it's on my monthly statement.
For me, it's a PO Box. Looking up numbers in the phone book, it looks like my closest Comcast office is 30 miles away.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #981
MJedi

After 4 calls to Comcast, 3 tech visits, and 2 bad cards, I finally have both tuners working. I'm so happy and relieved. Now to cancel DTV... and dispute some charges on my Comcast bill.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #982
debbie6754

Comcast UGH

I am on the phone with Comcast in Union, NJ right now. I have been on the phone for 20 minutes. They have told me that -

-they are out of stock on cablecards and have no idea when they are coming in

-they do not support Tivo. Cablecards are not compatible with Tivo. They will not install cablecards in Tivo.

I asked them flat out of they refuse to give me the cablecards. They said they would give me the cards. I have to install them myself (should be no big deal). They said they won't work. They said they would be activated in the office before they are delivered.

Has anyone eslse experienced such nonsence?

Old 10-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #983
MScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie6754
I am on the phone with Comcast in Union, NJ right now. I have been on the phone for 20 minutes. They have told me that -

-they are out of stock on cablecards and have no idea when they are coming in

-they do not support Tivo. Cablecards are not compatible with Tivo. They will not install cablecards in Tivo.

I asked them flat out of they refuse to give me the cablecards. They said they would give me the cards. I have to install them myself (should be no big deal). They said they won't work. They said they would be activated in the office before they are delivered.

Has anyone eslse experienced such nonsence?
Let them know that Comcast of Jersey City seems to support CableCards in TiVo just fine. My wife is watching HBO in HD thru the TiVo as we speak.

Scott
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #984
debbie6754

Comcast UGH

Well, after being on the phone for a very long time, the women came back on and apologized to me. She called the install/repair guys and asked them and they told her that in fact they do support Tivo. She was upset that Comcast had not given any of this info to her. The repair guys admitted to having a few cablecards stashed away which they offered to me. So, so far, so good, they are coming on Wednesday. Tivo due today. I will be so glad when all of this is over.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:57 PM   #985
Adams61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Update: I called tivo and we had a conversation with my comcast office. They are still saying they do not support tivo cable cards even though the tivo tech explained the FCC guidelines. The tivo tech took all of the information and gave me a case number. She said she would send it to the tivo corporate office and I should hear something within 5 business days.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #986
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Update: I called tivo and we had a conversation with my comcast office. They are still saying they do not support tivo cable cards even though the tivo tech explained the FCC guidelines. The tivo tech took all of the information and gave me a case number. She said she would send it to the tivo corporate office and I should hear something within 5 business days.
This should be interesting.... keep us informed...
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #987
donnlewis

Howard County, Maryland. Called Monday, appointment scheduled for Thursday... Tech took 20 minutes to install two SA branded cable cards. Both worked first try. 10 of the 20 minutes he was on hold, so my experience was quite good in all respects.
donnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #988
ah30k

I just got a call from Comcast asking me if I would mind taking a short survey regarding my recent Digital Cable service addition.

SURE!!!

Comcast: How would you rate the installation on a scale from 1 to 10?
Me: How about a 1! Any more questions?

Never been so happy to take a survey in my life!
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:48 PM   #989
rvt100

Quote:
The best bet is to call back to Comcast Philadelphia and ask for Executive Assistance , tell your story and then ask that person for their direct line. If your experience is like mine, the executive assistant will pass the problem off to a busy field person who may or may not get the job done. If the field person drops the ball you should go back to the executive assistant via their direct line and even if you get their voice mail. Leave a detailed message. They will then bug the field person until your problem is solved. Worked for me, only took three voicemail calls to the executive assistant till the field person solved my problem.

I think the executive assistant is measured by the number of unhappy customers they satisfy.
rvt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 PM   #990
Adams61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvt100
The best bet is to call back to Comcast Philadelphia and ask for Executive Assistance , tell your story and then ask that person for their direct line. If your experience is like mine, the executive assistant will pass the problem off to a busy field person who may or may not get the job done. If the field person drops the ball you should go back to the executive assistant via their direct line and even if you get their voice mail. Leave a detailed message. They will then bug the field person until your problem is solved. Worked for me, only took three voicemail calls to the executive assistant till the field person solved my problem.

I think the executive assistant is measured by the number of unhappy customers they satisfy.
Thanks for the tip. I did call an executive assistant Wednesday. She said someone would call me back that afternoon but I never heard from anyone. That's why I called tivo. I wish I had gotten the name of the executive assistant. I think I'll try calling again tomorrow.