TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2006, 12:14 AM   #901
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbenfield
Plus I hate losing shows 2x a month when it rains. So time to ditch the dish.
Must have been a poor dish install - my neighbors' cable is out more often and with a longer duration that my DBS has ever been. Only the very heaviest rains kill my signal and then it's only for 1-2 minutes, tops.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:48 AM   #902
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse
Or at least, it was working...
That's really the biggest problem I see. If it was just a struggle to get things working and then they stayed working, that would be fine. But the fact that things we lose random channels (not whole tiers, just random channels) at random times, that's unacceptable. I cannot know that these problems are happening while I'm on vacation, for example, and I cannot continually bring the cable company out to my home, just for them to charge me for the privilege of saying that the CableCards are okay and the signal is okay, etc.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:18 AM   #903
astb533

Chicago Comcast Card Install Nightmare

I picked up my Series 3 last Saturday at the Escape store on Halsted here in Chicago last Saturday. I wasn’t planning on spending the money for a Series 3 till Christmas (little gift to myself) but when they had 1 left in stock, I decided that Christmas would come a little early this year…

Anyway, called Comcast and scheduled a Cablecard install for Friday, 8am-12pm window. Spent most of the week reading over the Comcast Cablecard horror stories on the boards and prepared myself for the worst. I was not disappointed…

Took the day off on Friday and waited for the Cable tech to show up. He finally showed up at 11:59am (of course) and, shocker, didn’t have any Cablecards with him and a blank work order. Apparently the tech who was supposed to come called him and asked if he could sub on the job. He had no idea why he was here, what a cable card was, or what a Tivo Series 3 was. I also think he was a contractor, not a Comcast employee, but I didn’t ask… Anyway, after letting him know exactly how unimpressed I was with the situation, he finally called in dispatch and his supervisor agreed to bring 2 cards from dispatch, but that took about an hour.

Anyway, his supervisor came in with the cards (Motorola, 4.21 firmware) and said he had done a few installs and said it shouldn’t be a problem. I started to feel better, until the supervisor said he had to leave to take care of other scheduled appointments, but gave verbal instructions to the tech on what to do. Basically told him to take down the serial numbers, host & data ID’s and then call the #’s in to dispatch. Supervisor also said it could take up to 5 hours for the channels to come in after they were activated (I realized this sounded contrary to every Cablecard success story I had read about). Anyway, the tech called in the numbers but I never got the 161-4 errors. I decided to just sign the work order and let the tech leave (as he was pretty much useless) figuring as long as I had the cards and the #’s, I could deal with customer support myself if the cards didn’t activate after a few hours. Long story short, they didn’t activate, I didn’t get ANY channels, and any of the correct information I read about on the ‘Conditional Access’ screen. Multiple calls to Comcast customer support accomplished nothing except scheduling a truck roll for Saturday afternoon. One rep took my info and told me I would get a call from the escalation group that handled Cablecard problems Saturday morning (that call never came).

Anyway, part II, the Comcast tech came out on Saturday in the middle of the appointment window. He was an actual Comcast employee, very nice and helpful. Said he hadn’t done a Tivo Cablecard install, but had done several in regular TV’s. He was excited to see the box and said his brother was interested in getting one. He even asked for copies of the install instructions to take with him when he left (I was feeling pretty good at this point). Anyway, he came out with 2 new cards (both Motorola 4.21s), wrote down the serials, handed them to me and let me drive. He even called dispatch and handed me the phone and let me read the #’s over the phone. It took a while but I was talking to the tech on the phone, read the serials, host & data IDs and saw the 161-4 errors on both cards. A few minutes later, the channels appeared (except HBO, Encore, etc). At this point, I felt great and figured it might just take a little longer for the premiums to appear. I decided to let the tech go (he had been here for an hour and had 3 more apts that afternoon). I was concerned about HBO, etc so I managed to convince him to give me the # that he had called to read in the info in case there were any problems.

After a few hours of no HBO and not seeing the proper messages on the ‘Conditional Access’ screen, I decided to call the # he had given me. A tech answered and asked for the Job number which I had on the work order. She said “Tech # xxx?” and I said ‘yes’. I never claimed to be the tech, just verified the # was correct.. ;-) Anyway, I said the cards weren’t picking up HBO and she tried a few things (got a couple more 161-4’s) but nothing worked (still no HBO), then transferred me to another guy who was supposed to be more knowledgeable about Cablecards. He tried to remove HBO and re-add to the account to see if that would work. That cause my high-def box (in bedroom) to restart & re-download information. The high-def box never worked after that… great… Anyway… no dice on Sat evening. Called again Sunday morning and finally talked to someone who clearly knew what they were doing. First I asked to verify the Cablecard numbers and found out that one of the Data ID’s was entered improperly. He then said the account wasn’t set up properly (something about ‘wrong place settings’). He fixed both of those errors, sent 2 cold hits to the cards and voila.. they finally worked. The HD cable box, however, still would not work but no big deal, I called regular customer support, told them my box had somehow lost all of its channels, and was told I could trade in the non-working box at the local equipment office for a new one (which I am planning to do this AM).

Long story short, countless hours wasted with Comcast this weekend, but finally a working Tivo Series 3.. The HD picture from the Tivo is amazing… Somehow, through all of this, I am now getting Showtime and Starz which I have not subscribed too. I guess I’ll wait and see if I get charged for them on the next bill.. If they don’t disappear and I don’t get charged, I’ll just consider it a little gift from Comcast for all of my pain and suffering.

My advice to new S3 owners awaiting CC installs, read all the posts on this board and get yourself as familiar with the process as you can. Most likely, you will be more knowledgeable than the tech who comes to your house. Write down the serial #’s of the cards yourself before they get put in the Tivo and then also write down the pairing information (host & data #’s) from the screen and listen to the tech read them over the phone. If he screws them up, let him know and ask him to have the tech on the other end read back the #’s to verify. It is still possible for the person on the other end of the line to mis-type but try and limit all the points of error that you can control. Also, don’t let the tech leave until you are getting all of your channels. If they try and tell you it will take up to “5 hours” for the channels to show up then make them give you a number to call if it doesn’t work.

Hope this story helps someone.
astb533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #904
nove531

I had 2 cable cards installed on Friday, 10/6. After several reboots and re-hits from Comcast, they both seemed to be working perfectly on the evening of Monday, 10/9. I set up my season passes and everything seemed to be working. I noticed on Saturday that for Thursday, 10/12 two of my shows only partially recorded. I thought that was bizarre, but shrugged it off (I had a back up on an S2, just in case, so no worries about missed shows). Then, when I went to watch something that recorded correctly, in the middle of playback the "To Activate This CableCard, please Call Comcast at...." popped up. It was very strange. When I hit Clear to exit that screen, it brought me to my "To Do" list. Why would it bring me there, of all places? I had to go back to my "Now Playing" list and select my show again. After a few more minutes of watching my show, the "To Activate...." screen popped up again? Now, I got angry. I called Comcast and had them re-hit my cards again, and so far so good. After I thought about it for a while, I remembered that when I started watching my recorded show, I had to reset my 30 second skip. I then realized that I received an update on Thursday morning. Could this be why my shows didn't record correctly and why I had to re-hit my cards again to make that screen stop popping up? Will this happen EVERY time we get an update? Has anyone had this happen to them?
nove531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #905
debbie6754

HD Question

If I install 2 cablecards but don't have a cable box, will I get HD when watching live TV?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #906
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie6754
If I install 2 cablecards but don't have a cable box, will I get HD when watching live TV?

The Series 3 can't work with a cable box.

That's what the cards are. Miniature cable boxes that let the Series 3 (or any other CableCard device) tune digital cable channels.

If your Series 3 has cable cards, you'll be getting digital cable channels. That's what they do.

You'll have to subscribe to your company's digital package, tho'.

Everything the Series 3 gets after that will be what's in the digital cable package, whether you're recording, or just watching live.

To watch those channels in High Def (those that ARE in High Def), you'd need an HD television. Otherwise, you're just watching a downconverted version of those channels.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #907
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
You'll have to subscribe to your company's digital package, tho'.
not for braodcast HD channels
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #908
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
not for braodcast HD channels

True enough.

Even WITHOUT the cable cards, the Series 3's digital tuner should be able to tune in local "OverTheAir" digital channels that are carried by the cable system.

Again, whether you'd get high def out of those depends on whether or not the channel is broadcasting in HD. Otherwise, you're just getting Standard Def, in digital format.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #909
kdmorse

Obvious if you think about it - but worth noting.

There is a *world* of difference between the quality of folks you talk to when you call early afternoon on a weekday, and when you call at 11:45pm sunday night.

Sunday Evening: - after a long description of the problem.

"I'm sorry, cablecards are impossible to manage remotely, we have to send a tech out for any changes"
"No, we cannot hit them remotely, or initialize them remotely, it's just not technically possible"
"And how could we, using what, Microwaves? Wireless? The cablecards aren't even connected to the system!"
"Cablecards are truly inferior technology, as we can't see them, touch them, or in any way alter them from the office"

I could not convince that man otherwise, and he claimed there wasn't anyone else there.

Monday Afternoon: After mentioning my lineup wasn't quite right.

"I just refreshed the programming on all your devices, by sending a hit to your digital cable box, and your two cablecards"

"A hard init? I don't know, lemme look... (all of 5 seconds). Yes, I can send a hard init to both cards from this menu"

Of course I'm at work - and can't tell if anything helped, but at least I talked to someone with a clue.

-Ken

Last edited by kdmorse : 10-16-2006 at 03:36 PM.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:57 PM   #910
btwyx
Substantive Member

Someone here noted that the new price of $1.50 for the second cable card was printed on their bill, so I went and looked at the online version of the bill. (This is the second bill I've got, and I haven't even had cable for a month.) It was printed on there as well, so I just rang them up and asked them about it. ("I'm being charged $6.95, when your bill says I should be being charged $1.50.")

After being a bit non-plussed by this, the rep looked it up, and found the new rate, asked if I had a TiVo (by name) and then applied it to my bill back dated to whenever they introduced the new billing code. $1.50/month for the card I can be happy with, it seems fair.

I also asked him about some missing credits. There was the (pitiful) $20 credit for them turning up late. It seems that had only been "approved" after they'd sent out the second bill. Approval for credits seems to be a bit of a hazard at Comcast. I'd spoken to someone previously about an install charge, she'd happily removed it, then it didn't show on my bill. The rep said it had been dissaproved, which I think is really ****ty customer service.

I was still arguing that I'd been told the install would be free and no one had ever said anything different, and also he looked up the code and found it was for an advanced box installation, which I don't have. So he submitted the credit again, and said he made sure to make notes as to why. So it seems not only should you get you rep to agree to a credit, you have to make sure they make sufficient notes that its not taken back later.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #911
shady
We have chickens!

I've just got off the phone with Comcast about my bill. I'm really nervous now. I actually got through to someone straight away, however the whole process took 40 minutes!!!!!

I was querying the $1.50 charge for "TiVo Digital Access".
This, apparantly was the charge for the second cablecard. Apparantly, the Comcast's definition of free (as per FAQ) is different to everyone elses.

The second query was the additional "Digital Addl Outlet" at $6.95.
At first he told me that if he disabled it, then my 2nd cablecard would not work. I wasn't satisfied with this, and questioned him why I should pay for a 2nd outlet when I only have 1 TV .... you know the rest.

Anyway, after what seemed like an age on hold while he talked to "an expert" he came back and said he'd removed the charge, and the warning he got was an error in the system and that everything would be okay.

I asked specifically "Are you 100% sure you haven't disabled the service to either of my cablecards?" and of course he told me that my cablecards would not be affected.

I really really really hope I'm not posting again in this thread when I get home from work :|
Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #912
kdmorse

Update:

Talked to a nice couple of folks at comcast, who noted some non-descript things might be wrong. After a random sequence of re-init, re-hit, and removing/reinstalling both cards to get their serial number - both cards are subscribed again.

Will keep an eye on them...

-Ken
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #913
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Third visit today, in three weeks. This is getting ridiculous, as it's still not right.

* He brought NO cards, despite my stating the record indicate they bring them.

* Got one working, but he was NOT following the directions. Pushing things when they said to wait.

* Second failed miserably. Took the one out of the TV, which failed even worse.

* He took a brand new one from the truck (that was for a later install that day), and it got CLOSE to working. Saw the 164-1 error (first time ever), then "rekey", then "subscribed", but still not working on a bunch of channels.

* This was over three hours in, and he wound it up. Took out the second, said he'd come back later with another guy.

* Came back after 6 with the other guy, but had just finished an install where the NOC COULD NOT BE reached at that hour and so he couldn't do anything.

* Scheduled for first thing tomorrow with a different guy that is supposed to know cable cards better.

* I don't believe it for a second.

Comcast Baltimore ABSOLUTELY SUCKS.

Do we have the Comcast CEO's email?
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #914
pjpereira74

I had my cc install today. It was pretty painless, but I got scared when the tech showed up.
Well, he got here and asked me if I needed 1 or 2 cc. I knew I was in trouble at that point. I asked him how many tivo cc installs he has done and he said he had never even seen a tivo 3. He only had 1 cc so he had to go back to got 1 more, the benefits of living 5 blocks from the central office. After he got back he put both cards in at the same time. I told him to activate 1 card at a time, but he put both cc in and said his buddy at the office told him to do both at the same time. It took about 3 minutes before the gray cc 1 mmi screen appeared with all the information. He called up the office gave all the information for cc 1 and in about 30 seconds got the 161-4 error. The screen immediately went to the mmi screen for cc2. After he sent the second set of numbers and got got the 161-4 error for the second cc, I cleared out of that screen and tested some of the premium channels on both tuners, all was good.
Well, the tech left and I ran the guided setup again. I think that took longer then the entire install time. A side note, The tech on the phone the installer was giving the information to, told him to next time to do 1 cc at a time. I guess she had done quite a few tivo installs and installing both cc at the same time causes allot of errors. I guess I just got lucky.
I feel for all does people that can't get there tivo's to work for a week. That's what I was expecting, but it actually went painless. This is my first tivo and absolutely love it. I wasn't going to buy a series 3 until the price went down, but I just couldn't take the constant lockups on the 3412 dvr from comcast anymore.
pjpereira74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #915
KenS3

Almost painless

My cablecard install went quite smoothly, more smoothly than I'd expected after reading this site (although I had lots of helpful info from here printed out as reference, and that helped). I'd installed the S3 on Friday with analog basic cable (moved the wire from my old SONY TiVO), and it picked up the 8.0.1b update over the weekend. Maybe that helped too.

Installer (a contractor, I think) showed up. Not only did he have both cablecards, he had spares in the truck. He'd not done an S3 before, but he was familiar with cablecards. He took the "instructions for installer" sheet, and read it carefully. He asked about doing both cards at once, and when I said it could be done, but doing them separately seemed to cause fewer problems, he decided he didn't want to avoid the second call to Comcast badly enough to risk that.

Call waiting times (at about 5 PM) were only a couple of minutes on his three calls.

Card #1 worked the first time (Motorolla card w/ comcast label and 4.05 firmware).

Card #2 didn't (generic motorolla label with 4.21 firmware). Never got the 161-4 error. Test channels showed no channels to test. This was after an "init" (which the guy on the phone did without prompting, rather than doing a simple "hit"; I provided a speakerphone for the tech, so I got to listen to both sides of the conversation).

He suggested getting a new card from the truck. I said "let's wait a bit first". While he stepped out for a cigarette, I played with the TiVO and found that the cablecard status screen showed no authorization for card #2, but did show #1 as authorized.

When he came back in, I showed him the screens. He immediately called Comcast, and after a bit of verifying numbers on the card, which were all correct, the guy on the phone realized that card #2 was somehow associated with a different town's system than card #1 (despite both being associated with my account and on the same work order). I'm on the Milford system, card #2 was having its "init" sent to Taunton (about 20 miles away). Once he corrected card #2 and initialized it again, we saw the 161-4 and test channels worked.

Maybe not all those "bad" cards are really bad; they might just have data-entry problems in some database.

After checking a few non-basic channels (I have Digital Classic now) and HD channels, he left. Total time: 45 minutes.

I then re-ran Guided Setup, and stepped through the whole channel lineup to verify that they all worked (and tested a number with both tuners, though not all). All looks good, hopefully it will stay that way (fingers crossed).

And then I watched one program in HD that I'd seen last week on the old TiVo in SD, and I count every penny I spent worthwhile. Not that that's a surprise. :-)

BTW, my bill shows a 2.75/mo charge for the second card (none for the first) and no "second outlet" fee. I plan to watch the monthly bill closely for a few months...
KenS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:16 AM   #916
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
The technician came, put two cards in at the same time, called in to activate both at the same time, and left in about 10-15 minutes. He told me that I was his 5th TiVo installation today. No problem so far.
Today I called Comcast to add digital classic ($10/month) to my limited basic service. I probably won't keep it long term, but I just want to see if my CableCards really work with service changes, and they definitely are!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #917
winpitt

Thumbs down

I'm in the Pgh PA comcast area - formerly Adelphia.

I'd like to get a TiVo S3 in spite of the ridiculously high price, however....

Comcast today said (in addition to the install charges) that I would pay $5.50 per cablecard per month - a total of $11 per month.

Add that to the TiVo monthly charges and the TiVo purchase price, and it's ridiculous. $799 for the unit, $299 special for 3 yrs service, $11 per month for Comcast cablecard fees adds up to $41.53 per month for the first 36 months. That's on top of the programming costs.

Though I'd REALLY love to get an S3 and could easily afford it, I can't stomach the idea of overpaying to such a huge extent. I guess I'm going to go with DirecTV. I've had 3 SA8300HD DVRs from Adelphia/Comcast for the last 18 months. The unit has just finally overwhelmed my patience and I was really hoping TiVo would be at least marginally reasonable.
winpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #918
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by winpitt
I'm in the Pgh PA comcast area - formerly Adelphia.

I'd like to get a TiVo S3 in spite of the ridiculously high price, however....

Comcast today said (in addition to the install charges) that I would pay $5.50 per cablecard per month - a total of $11 per month.

Add that to the TiVo monthly charges and the TiVo purchase price, and it's ridiculous. $799 for the unit, $299 special for 3 yrs service, $11 per month for Comcast cablecard fees adds up to $41.53 per month for the first 36 months. That's on top of the programming costs.

Though I'd REALLY love to get an S3 and could easily afford it, I can't stomach the idea of overpaying to such a huge extent. I guess I'm going to go with DirecTV. I've had 3 SA8300HD DVRs from Adelphia/Comcast for the last 18 months. The unit has just finally overwhelmed my patience and I was really hoping TiVo would be at least marginally reasonable.
You might want to look for a lifetime you can transfer. Buy a lifetime for $300, $199 to transfer it to a new S3, then NO monthly TiVo fees ever. (Lifetime transfer offer good through December 2006.)

I sold one of my lifetime's to a guy that did that for $300. (Just the sub--not the hardware--he didn't want that.)
Old 10-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #919
worachj

Installaion costs

I called 1-800-COMCAST to schedule a service call to install two cable cards in my Tivo. I told them the installation was for a Series 3 Tivo. I was quoted $15.49 for the truck roll and 1st cable card installation, and another $13.95 for the second cable card installation. I’ve made three different calls and have been quoted three different prices for cable service, but the installation charges are the same. So…

Are other people getting charged $29.44 for the installation of two cable cards?
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #920
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj
I called 1-800-COMCAST to schedule a service call to install two cable cards in my Tivo. I told them the installation was for a Series 3 Tivo. I was quoted $15.49 for the truck roll and 1st cable card installation, and another $13.95 for the second cable card installation. I’ve made three different calls and have been quoted three different prices for cable service, but the installation charges are the same. So…

Are other people getting charged $29.44 for the installation of two cable cards?
In TWC Raleigh its $43 PER Cablecard.....
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #921
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
For me, it's $15.99 for installation (both, not each), and $1.50 per month for both cards.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #922
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:

No. I've never been charged for a cable truck roll in my life. Installs and mods to service are always free.

Maybe just a Maryland thing?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #923
winpitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
You might want to look for a lifetime you can transfer. Buy a lifetime for $300, $199 to transfer it to a new S3, then NO monthly TiVo fees ever. (Lifetime transfer offer good through December 2006.)

I sold one of my lifetime's to a guy that did that for $300. (Just the sub--not the hardware--he didn't want that.)
Had no luck with that, and TiVo told me that they wouldn't transfer it anyway. They said they're going to start enforcing that the lifetime is only good for the original purchaser and cannot be transfered.

So, between TiVo and Comcast I'm scheduling DirecTV for an install I guess.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #924
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by winpitt
They said they're going to start enforcing that the lifetime is only good for the original purchaser and cannot be transfered.
What??? Lifetime subscription is tied to a specific unit (other than promotions), but it can be transferred to other people for infinite number of times.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #925
Maeglin

It was agonizing trying to get an installer out here (3 reschedules over 1.5 weeks because no one showed), but once she arrived the install went very smoothly. This was her 4th S3 install, and knew exactly what she was doing. She arrived a few minutes after the start of the window, we got both cards installed (Motorola v4.21) and the numbers called in, then a few minutes later the first one gets hit (161-4 error) then the other one. Test Channels worked beautifully after that, even for the premium channels I'm subscribed to.

I think the problem with no one showing has a lot to do with Comcast seriously underestimating demand for CableCARDs in this area. Only 1-2 people are trained in doing those at all, and those that are seemed only to be trained on a basic level, and had to learn more as they went along. The installer that came today even learned something here... every S3 user she'd been working with so far had gone through Guided Setup before checking the channels, when that was never needed. She wasn't aware of the Test Channels option before, but she is now

I'm currently crossing my fingers that they'll continue to work as well as they are now.
Maeglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #926
winpitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
What??? Lifetime subscription is tied to a specific unit (other than promotions), but it can be transferred to other people for infinite number of times.
Just repeating what TiVo told me over a phone call approximately 2 hours ago.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #927
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Baltimore (City) Comcast S3 install -- FINALLY SUCCESS!!!

Baltimore City Comcast install: Success after fourth visit in three weeks

Took Monday AND Tuesday off this week. Baltimore can only do CableCARD installs on weekdays. Yesterday, only one card took and they did not bring any extra (despite my saying they should when making the appointment).

Yesterday, they scheduled me for a call today but with no time window. Guy finally showed at 4pm. He let me take the reins, saying it was his first TiVo CableCARD install. I heard the guy on the other side of the phone ask if there's an auto program option. I said "it's working on that in the background", with enough authority that the guy here said "looks like it's doing something, we're going to wait."

timeline:
  • 0:00 stick in second card
  • 01:30 (90 seconds that is) MMI screen popped up
  • 02:00 while waiting, test channels showed a few working, not all
  • 04:00 161-4 error
  • 04:15 test channels said "no channels available" for a bit
  • 05:30 then all came in just fine
(Times are just my guess--emphasized to him there are a couple stages we need to just wait (as I had previous visits, but this time it worked).

I asked him to wait while I made sure the other card still worked 100%.

He liked my DLP. He's got an old 50" projection HDTV and is looking for something flatter. All the guys that have come out have been very nice. It's obviously a problem at the corporate level within the install/service department. OTJ training ("this is my first CableCARD install") seems to be all they're getting, and that while they're in the customer's home without anyone that has done one previously.

Had a lot of time to kill, so called 1-800-COMCAST, let it go to corporate, she confirmed my "all day" appointment was on record (good to hear as had only verbal until then). Complained about the 3 week delay in getting this right and she recommended a one month credit. Likely it will go through. She was very nice.

ETA: Times on the timeline

Last edited by ThreeSoFar : 10-17-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #928
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
Baltimore City Comcast install: Success after fourth visit in three weeks
Congrats!

Amazing how clueless some of the local cable entities are - this really isn't rocket science.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #929
Omnius

I was trying to get my bill cleared up and have failed so far. I'm waiting for a call back from a supervisor. Comcast will NOT budge on their charges. They want $6.95 each per card, and a $5 HD fee each per card. So, that is $23.95 PER MONTH to use the TiVo that I OWN, compared to $9.95 a month to use THEIR DVR.

I have had it. If they don't make it right soon, I am going to cancel every single Comcast service I have (which is a lot).

Anybody here know for a FACT that they are not being charged an additional outlet for each card, and are not paying a $5 HD fee per card? If so, would you mind PMing me your contact information so I can provide it to the Comcast rep as an example of how the account is supposed to be set up?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this is after being told by multiple people at Comcast that there would be NO CHARGE for both cable cards when I initially called about getting them.

Last edited by Omnius : 10-17-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Omnius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #930
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnius
I was trying to get my bill cleared up and have failed so far. I'm waiting for a call back from a supervisor. Comcast will NOT budge on their charges. They want $6.95 each per card, and a $5 HD fee each per card. So, that is $23.95 PER MONTH to use the TiVo that I OWN, compared to $9.95 a month to use THEIR DVR.
Search earlier in this thread - someone posted the Comcast corporate response.

The $5 fee is already included in the $6.95 and you don't need one HD fee per card.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote