TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #8941
wmgoat

cable cards going away????

I have a SIL that works for comcast service in a remote area of the state - he heard the other day that cable cards are being phased out in favor of their new X1 platform. They are having a hard time getting the cards where he works and were told to tell the clients that they are using "old hardware technology" and to upgrade to X1. (based on the complete lack of support that comcast has for cable cards, I would be surprised if they are taking that stand).

I have a Premium Tivo that uses one (had to go thru 3 cards to find one that mostly works)

I have 2 older series 2 on lifetime support that still use the old motorola stb with a serial connection, and I love it. Wish I didnt have to do the cable card for the premium but it is what it is.

Comments?
wmgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #8942
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

It would be in violation of the FCC requirements not to support cable cards, at least for now.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:56 PM   #8943
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
It would be in violation of the FCC requirements not to support cable cards, at least for now.
Wouldn't surprise me if they are ramping down with the expectation that the requirement won't be renewed. It will expire at the end of this year.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #8944
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmgoat View Post
were told to tell the clients that they are using "old hardware technology" and to upgrade to X1.
I consider X1 to be an "upgrade" only in the size of my bill.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #8945
Beryl

Official Comcast CableCard Thread!

Here is why I divorced Comcast after 15 years.

In Colorado, I paid $1.50 monthly for each of my two TiVo cablecards ($3). I informed of my upcoming move to Texas and that I'd take my Tivos but leave on service with the one SD box online until I sell my house there. They told me that there would be no problem and I should call them in Texas for them to activate my cards there. (Yay, Comcast is doing what they claim in their commercial.)

70 days later, Comcast internet and TV is installed in my new home and I attempt to activate the cards. Comcast can't locate them to activate. 2 agents later I hear about the different "Comcast Markets" and that I need to take the "Colorado cards" to the local Comcast store and exchange them for "Texas cards." Irritating but I do it.

The rep at the store tells me that they can't take the "Colorado cards" and I'd need to take or send) them back to Colorado. (I'm bummed.) She tells me that I'm lucky that I'd didn't come into the store with a boat load of Colorado equipment. She adds 2 "Texas cards" to my account says that there would be a $9,95 monthly fee for each ($19.90).

I'm mad. I moved to Texas and Comcast triple the rental fee for cards. I give the Assistant Manager an earful:
1. I don't like that it is like I'm dealing with multiple companies
2. The Comcast commercial about moving customers is misleading.
3. Why must I pay $8.45 more for a cablecard in Texas?

She shrugs off #1 & #2 off but doesn't believe I was paying only $1.50 in Colorado so I show her my online bill using my iPad. She has no response for such a dramatic difference. She takes it to her boss and tells me that she would take it to a meeting with her boss' boss the next day since she wants a better answer to give customers than the "different markets but a single company" answer which doesn't work well. I tell her that I would be canceling cable TV and will hang on to internet until I find a reasonable alternative. She adds that comment to her notes and tells me that she'd call me on Friday.

I signed up with Dish while in the Costco parking lot. Directv greeted me at the door at Costco with a decent 2 year deal for Costco members. I cancelled the dish installation while in the store & signed up with Directv. They will install Friday after verifying line of sight. If Directv isn't doable, I'll call Dish back and hope to get the same deal as they offered before.

FYI - I'm putting a Roamio Plus and HDLX (both with lifetime) up for sale. I may keep my lifetime Premiere just in case I cut the cord.

Last edited by Beryl : 05-07-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #8946
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I'm mad. I moved to Texas and Comcast triple the rental fee for cards. I give the Assistant Manager an earful:
1. I don't like that it is like I'm dealing with multiple companies
2. The Comcast commercial about moving customers is misleading.
3. Why must I pay $8.45 more for a cablecard in Texas?

She shrugs off #1 & #2 off but doesn't believe I was paying only $1.50 in Colorado so I show her my online bill using my iPad. She has no response for such a dramatic difference. She takes it to her boss and tells me that she would take it to a meeting with her boss' boss the next day since she wants a better answer to give customers than the "different markets but a single company" answer wasn't working well. I tell her that I would be canceling cable TV and will hang on to internet until I find a reasonable alternative. She adds that comment to her notes and tells me that she'd call me on Friday.
You gotta love those cable companies. As a confirmed OTA-only viewer, I just hope and pray that the cable companies never manage to bribe enough people to eliminate broadcast TV.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #8947
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
You gotta love those cable companies. As a confirmed OTA-only viewer, I just hope and pray that the cable companies never manage to bribe enough people to eliminate broadcast TV.
Right now in many ways it's the broadcasters that have the cable companies over a barrel.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:09 AM   #8948
lpwcomp

Beryl,

I'm guessing it's too late, but they are not actually charging for the CableCARD, but for the outlet.

You should have gotten a $2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment" credit for each of the TiVos AND, if you had none of their boxes, you should have only been charged one "Additional Digital Outlet" fee, so your net charge for the TiVos should have been $7.45/mo, not $19.90 as one of the TiVos would have been your primary outlet.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #8949
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Beryl,

I'm guessing it's too late, but they are not actually charging for the CableCARD, but for the outlet.

You should have gotten a $2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment" credit for each of the TiVos AND, if you had none of their boxes, you should have only been charged one "Additional Digital Outlet" fee, so your net charge for the TiVos should have been $7.45/mo, not $19.90 as one of the TiVos would have been your primary outlet.

Wow.

Direct doesn't come until Friday and Comcast is due to come out to fix the "free" SD box on Friday also. I'll call Comcast today and see if that will be the case. Why are the Comcast reps idiots? Why didn't the Assistant Manager know this and tell it to me when I was at the store fuming?

I'd rather stick with Comcast because of my TiVo investment.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #8950
lpwcomp

Quote:
Wow.

Direct doesn't come until Friday and Comcast is due to come out to fix the "free" SD box on Friday also. I'll call Comcast today and see if that will be the case. Why are the Comcast reps idiots? Why didn't the Assistant Manager know this and tell it to me when I was at the store fuming?

I'd rather stick with Comcast because of my TiVo investment.
Tell 'em you don't want their stupid box, that you want one of your TiVos to be the primary.

As to why you weren't told any of this, Comcast wants you to pay as much as possible. They're supposed to automatically give you the credit, but I've always had to explicitly ask for it.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #8951
Beryl

Quote:
Tell 'em you don't want their stupid box, that you want one of your TiVos to be the primary.

As to why you weren't told any of this, Comcast wants you to pay as much as possible. They're supposed to automatically give you the credit, but I've always had to explicitly ask for it.

You were so right!!!! Thank you very much!

I called Comcast and the folks in India don't care about the "Markets" in our states. She gave me the first card free and the second for $1.50. I asked for a 3rd card for my other TiVo for another $1.50. The service guy is coming tomorrow with two cards. I don't really need it now but I may later and don't want to go to the store and have them add $9.95/mo with or without the $2.50 credit! Now that I'm using my own modem, I'm only renting a couple of cards ($3/mo) -- whoo-hoo!

And yes, I will definitely give them back their "stupid box" right after I've verified that my Tivos work with the cards. Now that there is On Demand content on the Tivos, I don't need it. Hopefully, all will go well with activation -- getting the handful of HD channels I subscribe to these days.

Comcast is gouging customers into cutting the cord -- really dumb, IMO. When Google fiber internet spreads out, more people will dump them.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #8952
lpwcomp

Quote:
You were so right!!!! Thank you very much!

I called Comcast and the folks in India don't care about the "Markets" in our states. She gave me the first card free and the second for $1.50. I asked for a 3rd card for my other TiVo for another $1.50. The service guy is coming tomorrow with two cards. I don't really need it now but I may later and don't want to go to the store and have them add $9.95/mo with or without the $2.50 credit! Now that I'm using my own modem, I'm only renting a couple of cards ($3/mo) -- whoo-hoo!
Nice! I wish I could get that deal. Instead, I'm paying 3 x $7.45/mo net for three TiVos. Unfortunately, I also still have one of their SD boxes feeding a TiVo 2.

I hope they didn't insist on a service call to install the CableCARDs, or that at least you are not paying for it.

Quote:
And yes, I will definitely give them back their "stupid box" right after I've verified that my Tivos work with the cards. Now that there is On Demand content on the Tivos, I don't need it. Hopefully, all will go well with activation -- getting the handful of HD channels I subscribe to these days.
What package do you have that only has a "handful of HD channels"? I have the "Digital Starter" and it has a bunch. About the only SD channels I watch are the local sub-channels that carry MeTV, Antenna TV, etc. Or an old movie on TCM.

Quote:
Comcast is gouging customers into cutting the cord -- really dumb, IMO. When Google fiber internet spreads out, more people will dump them.
Since I use U-verse for internet, Google fiber won't affect me one way or the other vis-ŕ-vis Comcast.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #8953
Beryl

Quote:
Nice! I wish I could get that deal. Instead, I'm paying 3 x $7.45/mo net for three TiVos. Unfortunately, I also still have one of their SD boxes feeding a TiVo 2.

I hope they didn't insist on a service call to install the CableCARDs, or that at least you are not paying for it.

What package do you have that only has a "handful of HD channels"? I have the "Digital Starter" and it has a bunch. About the only SD channels I watch are the local sub-channels that carry MeTV, Antenna TV, etc. Or an old movie on TCM.

A CSR made a note on my account so they could reverse it if they charge me for the call. I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt it.

I have Digital Starter which is more than enough. With Netflix, Plex (SS-Plex), Amazon Prime, PlayOn (with free Hulu) and so many Roku channels, I don't really NEED so many channels. It is one reason I'm almost ready to become a cord-cutter.

Internet (Blast!) and TV will cost approximately this:
6 months - $50
6 months - $70
6 months - $80
6 months - $100

In 2 years I'll be ready to move to a service like Aereo, if they win.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #8954
lpwcomp

Quote:
I have Digital Starter which is more than enough. With Netflix, Plex (SS-Plex), Amazon Prime, PlayOn (with free Hulu) and so many Roku channels, I don't really NEED so many channels. It is one reason I'm almost ready to become a cord-cutter.
That's the same package I have and you must have really big hands if you consider 50+ HD channels (not counting shopping channels) a "handful".

Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #8955
Beryl

You are right. 50 HD channels are a lot.

I had everything they offered before I got all of the online services. I watch 10-12.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #8956
Beryl

Comcast sent 2 courtesy emails and 2 robocalls to remind me of my appointment today - 1-3pm.

I waited from 9:30am to 3:30pm and they didn't show. Comcast sent a technician to my old address in Colorado. The emails and robocalls stated the correct address in Texas. The Denver technician tried to get them out and opened up a new appointment -- May 13th. He couldn't reach anyone in Texas. Customer service said to wait by my phone because they would expedite the appointment and call me by 5pm today. It is 5:45pm -- no call.

They never fulfill their commitments but make a lot of them.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #8957
morac
Cat God

They have an appointment guarantee. You should be able to get a discount off your next bill.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #8958
Beryl

I think they closed the loop in Texas to keep people from avoiding their jacked up cablecard rental fees. A service guy called yesterday to come to my house. He asked about the problem. I told him that the work order states for him to bring cablecards. He said that they no longer are allowed to carry them on their trucks. I told him that he has no other reason to come to my house. He said he would call his supervisor for advice and call me right back. That was over 24 hours ago and I haven't heard from anyone.

My new plan to salvage my Roamio Plus investment:

Go to a service center to get the 3 cards tomorrow (Monday) and return their "stupid box". If they add a $29.85 rental fee, call Customer Service in India to get it reversed back to the $4.50. If not possible, try to get the first charge removed since it should be free, have the customer owned equipment credit applied for the second, and return the third card to Comcast on Tuesday.

This is Comcast's last chance to get it right. If they try to force me to pay $19.90/mo for the same thing I paid $3 in Colorado, I'll dump their cable service completely. I'm still in the 30 days so I should be able to cancel with minimum damage to me. I hooked up a Premiere with an antenna and it is working great and so should my HDXL. I might even sign up for Aereo ($8/month).

Moving with Comcast is really a pain. Their commercial has proven to be 100% bogus.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #8959
lpwcomp

Beryl,

Just FYI, the "Customer Owned Equipment" credit should apply to each of your TiVos, even the one you will be using as the primary. So if you decide to keep two of the TiVos, you would incur a net $4.95/mo charge: $9.95/mo ADO charge - 2x $2.50/mo credit.

The credit is supposed to apply any time you are using your own equipment in lieu of an included piece of theirs. Your base package includes a box and an ADO includes an additional box.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #8960
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Do all Comcast territories include the first STB in the programming fees?
Old 05-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #8961
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Do all Comcast territories include the first STB in the programming fees?
While there is no way to know for sure, I would think that it is highly likely that the answer is yes. After all, they want you to be able to buy those PPV programs. And you need some kind of box to access any encrypted channels, which in more and more locales (like the ATL) included local channels.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #8962
Beryl

Quote:

Quote:
Just FYI, the "Customer Owned Equipment" credit should apply to each of your TiVos, even the one you will be using as the primary. So if you decide to keep two of the TiVos, you would incur a net $4.95/mo charge: $9.95/mo ADO charge - 2x $2.50/mo credit.
A little confused and want to have a clear understanding before going to the Comcast store as I doubt their reps will have a clue.

I now understand the $2.50 credit for each piece of my equipment on Comcast. I also get that each "market" can charge any cablecard rental fee - from $0 to $10. I'm guessing that HD outlets cost more than SD outlets. I don't know if outlet costs vary from market to market.

1. If I want just one HD outlet using my own equipment -- what fees should expect I pay?

2. How much for each additional HD outlet with TiVo?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #8963
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Since you own your own equipment there should be no additional fee for an "HD outlet". I think Comcast charges an HD fee for an HD-capable STB (slash DVR) but they shouldn't charge that for a TiVo. Doesn't mean they won't try...

This is all open to interpretation but for the first outlet you should just pay Comcast's fee for the programming tier in question. If you replace their STB with a TiVo you should get a couple of dollars discount from the tariff rate (Customer-owned equipment).

There shouldn't be a CableCard rental fee for the first outlet, because the CableCard in question is assumed to be inside the STB that's included in the rate. Your discount is because you're not renting the rest of the box.

If you add more outlets, this is where it gets interesting, since everone seems to get a different deal. Some people are charged an additional outlet fee of ~$10, along with a small Customer-owned equipment discount (I think this is the intended structure, since it makes sense if you think like a CableCo). Others pay no additional outlet fee, but get another Customer-owned equipment discount (!) (So it works out cheaper to have two outlets than one).

I'm a double-discount customer; perhaps it was because for each of the installs the tech installed a CableCard in a TiVo in my family room. Now that the norm is supposed to be self-install this loophole may have closed.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #8964
Beryl

Is there an outlet fee AND a cablecard fee minus the $2.50 credit? So confusing.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #8965
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Is there an outlet fee AND a cablecard fee minus the $2.50 credit? So confusing.
No, because again the CableCard is assumed to be inside the "additional" STB. The first CC is free for the additional outlet just as the additional (SD) STB would be provided in exchange for the Additional Outlet fee.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #8966
telemark

I have a new store in my area and they are very insistent that the 2nd Cable Card is going to be $10 more. (presumably minus -$2.50)

If I go to an older store they are not as strict on this issue.

I bring this up as I see it as employee training that has yet to happen.

Now there's different names for paying $10 extra.
HD upgrade fee
Additional [HD] outlet fee
Equipment fee (for the cable card?)

Previously alot of the disagreement is whether the 2nd outlet is HD or SD. Since it's a Cable Card, they basically have no way of saying otherwise because it depends on which equipment it's going into. But that is the reason they give me though. Since it's a cable card you can then pick up all the channels in your package so you need to pay more for it compared to a DTA.

The name of the fee has a lot to do with what a 2nd or 3rd Tivo should cost. An HD programming fee is account level. Outlet and Equipment fees are per device.

These are hard to find, but I highly suggest finding the rate sheet for your local market. They send them out with a bill when there is a change. About once every 18 months.

Long story short, I normally get offered this deal:
1st Tivo, free with package, -$2.50 customer owned equipment.
2nd Tivo, +$10 additional outlet fee, -$2.50 customer owned equipment, Net: +$7.50
3rd Tivo, unknown, -$2.50 customer owned equipment = ??
Old 05-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #8967
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I have a new store in my area and they are very insistent that the 2nd Cable Card is going to be $10 more. (presumably minus -$2.50)
That's what I believe it should be, unless you have a single device that requires more than one CableCard. Otherwise what you have is a second outlet and Comcast charges a fee for additional outlets that is more than the fee for an additional CableCard in the primary outlet.

The fee for the second and third outlets, similarly equipped, should be the same.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #8968
Beryl

Ok. So I should expect to pay NOTHING more for my first HD outlet with a Roamio Plus but get a $2.50 credit. Subsequent HD outlets with TiVos should be no more than $7.45 per month -- $9.95 minus the $2.50. right?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #8969
lpwcomp

Quote:
A little confused and want to have a clear understanding before going to the Comcast store as I doubt their reps will have a clue.

I now understand the $2.50 credit for each piece of my equipment on Comcast. I also get that each "market" can charge any cablecard rental fee - from $0 to $10. I'm guessing that HD outlets cost more than SD outlets. I don't know if outlet costs vary from market to market.

1. If I want just one HD outlet using my own equipment -- what fees should expect I pay?

2. How much for each additional HD outlet with TiVo?
All I can tell you is how it works here, with me and from everything I have read on the TCF and elsewhere is fairly typical. I have the same package as you, Digital Starter. I have 4 TiVos ( a series 2, a series 3 (THD), a series 4 (2-tuner Premiere) and a Series 5 (4-tuner Roamio)).

Code:
 $67.95/mo Package price.  This includes a box, which I am using to feed the Series 2.
+$29.85/mo (3x $9.95/mo "Digital Service Fee", 
                 aka "Additional Digital Outlet")
                 Each one also includes a box that I do not have
+ $0.00/mo  for 3 CableCARDs
- $7.50/mo (3x $2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment" credit since
                I am using my TiVos in lieu of their boxes.
+ $6.13/mo Taxes, Surcharges & Fees (The danegeld)
-------
 $96.43/mo Total
Officially, they only charge for a CableCARD if it is the second card in the same device. The only people who were/are legitimately charged this were owners of the original Series 3 which did not support the use of an m-card in multi-stream mode so needed 2 cards.

They do not distinguish between SD & HD outlets. If have any of their HD boxes, there is a $10/mo charge added to the account. This is not per outlet/box. Since the box of theirs that I have is SD, I don't incur this fee.

I note that others have posted their experience so you should take it all in and post what you think your maximum will be.

You should also go here to see what your "rights" are supposed to be and here to see what Comcast's "official" position is. I happen to think that Comcast is in violation of a few FCC regulations governing CableCARDs, but the FCC isn't interested in enforcing them. They're too busy fining networks for "wardrobe malfunctions" and the like.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #8970
lpwcomp

Quote:
Ok. So I should expect to pay NOTHING more for my first HD outlet with a Roamio Plus but get a $2.50 credit. Subsequent HD outlets with TiVos should be no more than $7.45 per month -- $9.95 minus the $2.50. right?
That is correct, except that they do not distinguish between HD and SD on a per outlet basis. Charging an additional for HD even tf you don't have any of their equipment would be yet another blatant violation of the applicable FCC regulations.

There's also some current regulations regarding whet equipment they must provide gratis for year or two in the locales where they have started encrypting local broadcast channels, but it probably on applies if you have digital basic.