TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #841
silentbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcompanion
Does anyone in Mongomery County Maryland have a working S3 with cable cards installed?
Yes. My installation story is upthread.

On a related note, has anyone in MC received their bill yet? I'm curious about whether the CableCARDs are actually free or whether Comcast will somehow screw us over with an "outlet" charge.
silentbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #842
Big Boy Laroux

I tried to search through the thread, but couldn't find anyone asking this question (maybe cause it's an obvious one)...

Do you have to have Digital Cable in order to get a CableCard?

I'm in nashville, and I only have Standard Cable, but I have a set-top box for whenever i want to watch HD shows. Will Comcast provide CableCards just for the HD channels, or do I have to sign up for digital?

Is anyone else in this same boat?

Thanks!
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #843
TiVangelist

I'm no expert, but how can you get HD shows on Standard (ie, analog) Cable? If you have a set-top box that gets you HD broadcasts, isn't that, by definition, digital cable? Maybe your cable system is different, but I can't get any high-def shows without signing up for digital cable.

I believe that, yes, you have to get digital cable to get cable cards.
TiVangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #844
Big Boy Laroux

ok, i was thinking that would be the case...

as for your question, I have standard cable, and only pay an extra $5 per month for the HD channels. I have to use a Cable set-top box for that (so technically, the other channels may be digital quality - but i watch my normal (Non-HD) channels through my TiVo), but i don't have all of the digital cable channels.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #845
atl Tivo

This is a complete Nightmare. The guy comes to my house today an hour after the 3 hour window. He has never done a cable card install before. I end up calling comcast and give them the serial numbers on the cards to activate them. So I go through the guided set up and i only get a limited number of channels. I get 20 something non-HD channels, which most of them are local and I get the Local HD channels. Also when I go to Channel Test for Card2 it does not work. I call comcast and they are clueless. They are basically closing out the "Work Order", which they said should fix my problem.

Is there anything on my end that I am doing that could be causing this problem?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #846
cmaasfamily

If you'll take another non-expert view... You can certainly get HD locals without signing up for the digital cable tier; and you don't have to sign up for HD either - that just gets you Discovery HD and whatever other HD cable channels they provide.

I believe they are required to provide HD locals. They are certainly not required to make that clear to anyone or to explain it anywhere on their website. Look for the asterisks on your channel line up. If you look hard enough you'll find 6 point type explaining that they are included even in "lifeline" / basic cable.

Having said that though, you won't get guide data without cable cards, and you won't get cable cards without signing up for the digital tier. So effectively, yes, you have to sign up for the digital tier if you want to use your S3 as god intended.
cmaasfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #847
Big Boy Laroux

i thought the TiVo got its guide data from its regular downloads... it needs the CableCards for that?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #848
sjca35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
i thought the TiVo got its guide data from its regular downloads... it needs the CableCards for that?
Correct. Guide data is via the Tivo service, not the cablecards. If you don't have Tivo service active for your S3, you won't get guide data, even if you have cablecards installed.
sjca35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #849
stoli412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
TiVo needs the CableCards to provide the channel map, so it knows what guide data to apply to what channel. That's why there's the big push for TiVo to enable manual channel mapping so you won't need CableCards for basic/unencrypted digital channels.
stoli412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #850
cmaasfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoli412
TiVo needs the CableCards to provide the channel map, so it knows what guide data to apply to what channel. That's why there's the big push for TiVo to enable manual channel mapping so you won't need CableCards for basic/unencrypted digital channels.
Correct. I should have been clearer in my response. I have been recording HD locals on my S3 without cable cards for a while now (two week lead time in my area to get them) and it works fine - just no guide data - have to record by time and channel and have to go through a one-time tedious process to find where they're hidden by the cable co. (covered elsewhere in the forum).
Old 10-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #851
Big Boy Laroux

ok, thanks. makes sense.

which thread has the information about the one-time tedious process of finding where the local HD channels are hidden? (still getting used to the search feature here)

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux : 10-10-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #852
atl Tivo

Why are my cable cards not getting all the channels. I get local analog and HD and a few other low analog cable channels but nothing else. Comcast said I need to contact TIVO and i told them it is the cable cards. Is there anything I can do?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #853
cmaasfamily

Search for Local HDTV Frequencies - Channel Scan
Old 10-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #854
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl Tivo
Why are my cable cards not getting all the channels. I get local analog and HD and a few other low analog cable channels but nothing else. Comcast said I need to contact TIVO and i told them it is the cable cards. Is there anything I can do?
What does it say in your CableCard Status screen, under conditional access. If it doesn't say Enabled, authorized, then Comcast probably didn't initialize your cable cards correctly. Search this thread on MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #855
tirofiban

Phoenixville, PA Update: 2nd Visit Success!

Ok, last Monday I had a successful install, only to discover a few days later that someone at Comcast had messed up my account in the computer, disabling 1 CC and a digital cable box. Today, the tech came and once he heard my story the tech called Comcast to get it all straightened out. After being on hold for quite sometime, the tech got everything resolved.

The tech said if the account isn't set up right with the correct subscription codes, the devices will become unauthorized a few days after a successful install.

My Weaknees 500GB S3 is fully operational! It's fun to see how much stuff you can record on 500Gb :-)
tirofiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #856
calow2

conditiona access page

if anyone has a pic of tie conditional access page they could send me that would help me out and one of the any pics of the tivo cablecards menus so i can help other to install them iin to your tivo 3's
calow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #857
atl Tivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12
What does it say in your CableCard Status screen, under conditional access. If it doesn't say Enabled, authorized, then Comcast probably didn't initialize your cable cards correctly. Search this thread on MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY

This was the most helpfull post all day. I found a thread on this, called comcast and my CableCards were working within 5 minutes of talking to the CSR. I am a happy man.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #858
MJedi

Well I tried calling again to get the install fees reduced, and the gal I spoke to wouldn't do anything for me. When I asked for a supervisor, she said they didn't have one on the floor. Hm. I'll keep trying.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #859
calow2

f anyone has a pic of tie conditional access page they could send me that would help me out and one of the any pics of the tivo cablecards menus so i can help other to install them iin to your tivo 3's
calow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #860
TiVangelist

Successful installation in Palo Alto.....Comcast came out yesterday afternoon. The technician was very new and had no idea how to install the cards in a TiVo. He didn't take the TiVo cheat sheet I offered, so, I walked him through the process, and all went well. It didn't even take very long. At the end, the tech said, "wow, I'm gonna give myself a big pat on the back!" Pretty maddening to hear that after I did everything. (Not to mention the little lecture about why would we bother with TiVo when we could get the Comcast DVR??? and the constant complaining about how late it was (the tech came at 5pm during a 2-6pm window)). So, despite this tech's lack of professionalism and experience, everything went as expected and hoped!

The tech only brought two cards (Motorola), but both worked just fine, fortunately. We were dual-recording within an hour, ooohing and aaahing over NHL hockey in HD! It's awesome!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #861
sjca35

Smile Explaination of the "bad cards" in the San Jose Bay Area

Woot. Finally. After 6 truck rolls and 9 different cards, I have two working cablecards. I've had the same tech the last 3 times and he was very patient and never once blamed the Tivo... which was good since he finally figured out the cause of all the problems was someone in the warehouse failing to add the cards in the system (DAC) before handing them out.

Based on my experience, it's pretty clear to me that all the "bad" cards people are seeing in the San Jose bay area just aren't entered in the system properly. Basically, after sending an initialize, hit and refresh (in that order), you won't get the 161-4 error (obviously talking about Motorola cards). If you don't get the error in a few minutes, ask the tech to call in and see if the cards are in the DAC system. Only after a signal has been sent will they be able to look this information up. In my case, all the cards which didn't work weren't properly entered in the system by the warehouse.

It sounds like once the card leaves the warehouse, they can't enter it back in the system. I'm not sure how true that is, but that's what the tech believed.

The good news is that the tech has informed his supervisor about this problem so hopefully they will be more careful in the future. I was also able to get Comcast to credit my account 5 days + install fee + $100 because of the 6 attempts during weekends and weekdays.

Anyways, watching the A's vs Tigers right now on my SXRD and the picture quality is awesome. I'm really happy.
sjca35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #862
redandgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandgray
I had a Comcast contractor show up this Saturday morning with (exactly) two Motorola CableCards. The first one went in smoothly and seemed to work just fine. The second one did not work, and showed error 161-1. ... Apparently, I have to babysit the dead card until we can try a substitute on Tuesday (Monday being Columbus Day).
Same tech dutifully showed up on Tuesday afternoon with two cards (I only needed one more, but he brought a spare). He spent an hour on the phone (either on hold or talking) and we finally got both CableCards up and running.

They had to initialize each card at least twice, and the person on the other end of the line was less than helpful because she kept dismissing all the CableCard status messages we dutifully relayed to her. Over and over again she would say, "just try it", so we would try it, knowing full well that it said "Auth: none", or "Encryption: none", and that there wasn't a chance in hell it would work.

It seemed like the CableCards were frequently getting half-way initialized, with half the status info looking good and the other half looking bad.

On the last time around, it worked even though the status report was not good before we started. BUT, as soon as we went back to the status report, the info had all been updated with good values, so I guess this was just a brief timing issue.

redandgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #863
timdorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl Tivo
Same thing here. Called up and asked for a Cold Initialize. Confused the tech lady, so she went on hold for a sec to consult her manager, came back and did the init for me. About 5 minutes later, we're good go to.

Now, just to get the 2nd CableCard like I asked for...
timdorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #864
TiVangelist

Thanks for all the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVangelist
Successful installation in Palo Alto.....Comcast came out yesterday afternoon. The technician was very new and had no idea how to install the cards in a TiVo. He didn't take the TiVo cheat sheet I offered, so, I walked him through the process, and all went well. It didn't even take very long. At the end, the tech said, "wow, I'm gonna give myself a big pat on the back!" Pretty maddening to hear that after I did everything. (Not to mention the little lecture about why would we bother with TiVo when we could get the Comcast DVR??? and the constant complaining about how late it was (the tech came at 5pm during a 2-6pm window)). So, despite this tech's lack of professionalism and experience, everything went as expected and hoped!

The tech only brought two cards (Motorola), but both worked just fine, fortunately. We were dual-recording within an hour, ooohing and aaahing over NHL hockey in HD! It's awesome!
I was remiss in my previous post (quoted above) for not recognizing the helpful information the "early adopters" gave us in this thread. Without it, I would have been as clueless as the technician from Comcast. So, thank you for all of the great info!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #865
StealthAngel
Game Enthusiast

Well after so many horror stories I was ready for a fight to get everything up and working. But that wasn't the case at all. Here's my story

Service: Extended Basic Cable (No premium content) - Murfreesboro, TN

Called 1-800-comcast last night about 4 times, until I finally figure out what the "party line" for my service was. The key was to ask for "Two CableCards with ONLY HD Access, NO Digital". Twice I had $5 per card ($10 total per month) quoted to me, with a tvio code they could run at my local office that would drop the total to $5. They also told me I could pick them up at the local offices, no need for service call.

So this morning I went down to my local office and dropped off my HD Cable Box and Asked for 2 Cables cards. The lady took my box and returned with 2 Cable cards. Scanned them and handed them to me. I asked how much, she replyed free. (kinda stumped but not wanting to temp faith, I said thanks and left).

Went home inserted the two cards into the tivo one at a time. Called the local office number, was transferred to tech support who sent 2 hit signals to both of my cards. Tivo came up with 161-4 error 4 times, twice for each card, and then everything works. Comcast even called me back to let me know the signals had been sent and asked if everything was working!

Summery: (for those with ADD)
Service: Extended Basic Cable (No premium content) - Murfreesboro, TN
Charge for two cables cards: $0 FREE (was able to pick up at local office)
I now receive all EB cable and EB-HD channels as per the cable book.

Hope everything goes as smooth for everyone else.
Remote of choose
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
StealthAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #866
cmaasfamily

No problems: North Atlanta Area

Wow! I had a month of dread built up reading the forum, but the cc install could not have gone smoother. The five web browsers I had open, the printouts, my carefully rehearsed speeches, and my deep breathing exercises all turned out to be unnecessary.

Tech showed up at 11:30 for an 11 to 2 window. He knew about S3's, but hadn't done one yet. He looked over the Tivo instruction card, we popped #1 in and he called in. It took a looong time to get a "dispatcher" on the line (30 minutes - OK THAT could have gone smoother) but when he did he followed the instructions and all went exactly as it should. Repeated for card two and all channels were available on both cards. From dispatcher connect to starting guided setup was under 20 minutes.

The dispatcher apprently told him that he could "provision" both cards at the same time if he stuck both cards in. The tech declined, citing the Tivo instructions. (I wanted to hug him!)

FWIW: The cards were Motorola, rev. 4.0.5. Same as in two other TV's I have. I am 4 for 4 with cable cards!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #867
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaasfamily
Wow! I had a month of dread built up reading the forum, but the cc install could not have gone smoother. The five web browsers I had open, the printouts, my carefully rehearsed speeches, and my deep breathing exercises all turned out to be unnecessary.

Tech showed up at 11:30 for an 11 to 2 window. He knew about S3's, but hadn't done one yet. He looked over the Tivo instruction card, we popped #1 in and he called in. It took a looong time to get a "dispatcher" on the line (30 minutes - OK THAT could have gone smoother) but when he did he followed the instructions and all went exactly as it should. Repeated for card two and all channels were available on both cards. From dispatcher connect to starting guided setup was under 20 minutes.

The dispatcher apprently told him that he could "provision" both cards at the same time if he stuck both cards in. The tech declined, citing the Tivo instructions. (I wanted to hug him!)

FWIW: The cards were Motorola, rev. 4.0.5. Same as in two other TV's I have. I am 4 for 4 with cable cards!
So, I've always wanted to know....

What's it like to live in the Twilight Zone?
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #868
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

I just called both the local Comcast office and the 800 number. Both told me the cc's will cost me $5.99 per month EACH here in Gwinnett county, near Atlanta. They both listened as I said the cc's go into one unit, one outlet, and that I was replacing the comcast dvr. They both told me, sorry, the cc's are $5.99 each.
They also told me the earliest installation date is Oct. 27th.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #869
Maeglin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Guy
I just called both the local Comcast office and the 800 number. Both told me the cc's will cost me $5.99 per month EACH here in Gwinnett county, near Atlanta. They both listened as I said the cc's go into one unit, one outlet, and that I was replacing the comcast dvr. They both told me, sorry, the cc's are $5.99 each.
Did you try for a different CSR? The Atlanta area website FAQ and the one that I was emailed when I asked about the charges (the website is rather vague) stated that the first card was free (esp. if you were replacing one of their boxes), and what I heard when I called agreed with that. I argued the 2 cards in same device as well when she mentioned the additional outlet charge, but it was only one instance of that... not two.

Edit: A different local CSR, I mean... policies are so different across different Comcast areas I doubt the 800 number operator would have been right.
Maeglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #870
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Appreciate the response. No, I haven't tried a 2nd local csr, YET. I will soon.
Do you happen to have a link to that local FAQ? I've had no luck trying to find anything at all about local cc issues online. Would love to have *anything* to point to when talking with the csr's. Thanks.