TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #7801
kbake

Wow, am I glad I found this thread! So much good information.

I heard on the local news a few days ago that due to Comcast's Digital Migration those of us that have their cable go from the wall directly to the tv will be forced to use one of their horrible DTA's or digital box which I absolutely refuse to do. This latest change has prompted me to upgrade to the Premiere. It arrives tomorrow afternoon and I am going to pick up a CableCard at the local Comcast center. I was told by the sales rep today that the in-house techs don't carry them. I found this odd but I'll do my part and pick one up.

I am going to try a self-install. I have the ComcastCares email on hand if a problem arises and I scheduled an appt. with an in-house, tivo competent tech the following day, just in case.

Oh, and the sales rep told me that I will not be charged for the 1 M-card.

Will let you know what my experience is like, good or bad.
kbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #7802
kbake

Ok, so this is how it went today.

I went to the local Comcast center to pick up a CableCard and 10 minutes later walked out with one and a sheet with instructions and phone number to call for activation. And no charge for the card. Now for the self-install

After Tivo Premiere was delivered I did the guided setup up to the point where I had to install the CableCard. Popped card into slot and got the CableCard ID# and the Host ID# and called the number listed on the screen (different than the one on the sheet I was given at the store). Got a rep who asked only for the Host ID# and proclaimed that the card was now paired. After over 2 hours the only channels I was receiving were the local/local HD ones. Called Comcast back and was asked for the Host ID# again and was told once more that it was paired. Told her channels still not coming in she gave the standard company line of having a tech come out. Told her I needed to speak to someone who knew more about Tivo than asking for the HostID, someone who would get more in-depth with the troubleshooting. She put me on hold and then came back saying she did a Staged Hit. Within minutes all my channels (Digital Starter, no premium channels) were there. Could it really be that easy? I guess I was lucky.

So you can do it yourself, no need for a tech to come out.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #7803
Rkkeller

Glad it worked out for you but when I went to the local Comcast here in NJ, they told me you can't self install CC's and I needed a tech. Also they don't even have any there.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #7804
morac
Cat God

Looks like Comcast is backing away from deploying SDV and is considering 4 QAM Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4 instead.

http://www.lightreading.com/document...treading_gnews
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #7805
charlesd81

I have an appointment setup for Friday for my cable card install. Can I still hook up my cable directly to my Tivo in the meantime, without the cable card, and get local HD channels?
charlesd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #7806
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesd81
I have an appointment setup for Friday for my cable card install. Can I still hook up my cable directly to my Tivo in the meantime, without the cable card, and get local HD channels?
You might be able to, but you'll have to search/scan for them as they won't be where you would think they should be.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #7807
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Tiling issues came back friday afternoon. Also have a channel that says it's not authorized, even though it's part of the regular cable and everything else works.

Had a tech out yesterday who replaced the cable card. Didn't fix it. He talked to his supervisor and said there were other people having the same issue. They're gonna pass it up the chain.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #7808
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
Tiling issues came back friday afternoon. Also have a channel that says it's not authorized, even though it's part of the regular cable and everything else works.

Had a tech out yesterday who replaced the cable card. Didn't fix it. He talked to his supervisor and said there were other people having the same issue. They're gonna pass it up the chain.
Just went through this very thing last month...

After several CableCards they finally had someone out from "Network" and they cleaned up my signal and now it's fine. Had nothing to do with the Cards afterall... Just a heads up. They may want to check the SNR and see where that's at...
Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #7809
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesd81 View Post
When my Premiere had no CC I received SD channels only, on the wrong channels (e.g., channel 808 had the proogram normally found on ~41).
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #7810
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Just went through this very thing last month...

After several CableCards they finally had someone out from "Network" and they cleaned up my signal and now it's fine. Had nothing to do with the Cards afterall... Just a heads up. They may want to check the SNR and see where that's at...
It's around 90 IIRC. They claim there's nothing wrong with the signal.

When I first had them out, they said there was an amp that was messed up. They replaced it that day(or said they would), but I didn't see a chance. Then Tivo rolled out 14.7 and the issue went away.

Then it came back between 1 and 7pm on friday. Tech came out on monday, but couldn't find anything wrong.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #7811
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
It's around 90 IIRC. They claim there's nothing wrong with the signal.

When I first had them out, they said there was an amp that was messed up. They replaced it that day(or said they would), but I didn't see a chance. Then Tivo rolled out 14.7 and the issue went away.

Then it came back between 1 and 7pm on friday. Tech came out on monday, but couldn't find anything wrong.
Actually 90 is your signal LEVEL as it reads on your TiVo. It can actually be much lower than that at the pedestal. My signal level was 94 on the TiVo and yet the guy told me I was only pulling a (MINUS) -12 dB signal at the Pedestal. So you can't really go by the reading on the TiVo, but it sounds like at least they have checked it out. Signal to Noise Ratio should be over 35 dB if I recall correctly.

They finally got me working again, but it took two days and a 3 truck rolls... Comcast is fine when it's working, but oh man... once it goes out it's hell to get it back.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #7812
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb
Comcast is fine when it's working, but oh man... once it goes out it's hell to get it back.
I have at least 2 or 3 months of my life that can attest to this.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #7813
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I have at least 2 or 3 months of my life that can attest to this.
Yeah. Several weeks for me as well all told. If DirecTV ever gets a working TiVo box again, I'm gonna dump Comcast so fast it will leave a vapor trail.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #7814
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Yeah. Several weeks for me as well all told. If DirecTV ever gets a working TiVo box again, I'm gonna dump Comcast so fast it will leave a vapor trail.
+1 - in a heartbeat

FIOS would get my business too if they ever moved into my area
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #7815
charlesd81

The Comcast tech came today to install my CableCard in my Premiere and it worked like a charm. He was here for about 20 minutes. He used a device to scan the barcode on the M-Card, let the office do their thing and we were good to go.
charlesd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #7816
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesd81 View Post
The Comcast tech came today to install my CableCard in my Premiere and it worked like a charm. He was here for about 20 minutes. He used a device to scan the barcode on the M-Card, let the office do their thing and we were good to go.
Well THAT'S encouraging. A barcode scanner would eliminate someone having to verbally tell the operator on the other end of the phone the numbers. It MIGHT help since they routinely get those wrong...
Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #7817
kbake

Well, I knew it was too good to last. Just in time for the Super Bowl I am now getting bad tiling on Fox channel 9 and no signal on about half my other HD channels. . DVR diagnostics shows signal strength has dropped to 27% on the ones tiling. Could this be Comcast messing with the system?

I don't understand why for the first 3 days all HD channels were fine and now they're not. No problem on the non-hd channels, guess I should consider myself lucky for at least that .

Last edited by kbake : 02-06-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: reword
Old 02-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #7818
morac
Cat God

I had a card install appointment today from 1 to 3. All seemed well until I got a call a little after 2 telling me they were canceling the appointment because they had no cards.

I made the appointment two weeks ago. You'd think that they would have saved one during that time or at least called me earlier. I did manage to get a $20 credit after complaining which should just about cover the installation fee. Still, bad form Comcast.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #7819
segaily

I had an install yesterday as well. Installer showed up without the cable card. Said he would be right back with one. 2 hours later he showed back up thankfully with the card. He told me his office was out so he drove to another office to get one. Amazingly enough once he had the cable card that install went fine. The internet setup had all kinds of issue however but I will spare everyone those details.
segaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #7820
drhankz

Quote:
I had a card install appointment today from 1 to 3. All seemed well until I got a call a little after 2 telling me they were canceling the appointment because they had no cards.
You can always write a polite e-mail to Comcast HELP

We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

It will generate some action.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #7821
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz

You can always write a polite e-mail to Comcast HELP

We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

It will generate some action.
I had the appointment rescheduled but it made me mad that Comcast pulled that stunt.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #7822
drhankz

Quote:
I had the appointment rescheduled but it made me mad that Comcast pulled that stunt.
That is WHY I recommend a polite letter to HELP.

Comcast should never do what they did and they should hear about it.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #7823
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Comcast advertises that they compensate for missed appointments (well, for arriving late actually) and that they will do the job right the first time. You should get some benefit for your issue...
Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #7824
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Comcast advertises that they compensate for missed appointments (well, for arriving late actually) and that they will do the job right the first time. You should get some benefit for your issue...
I mentioned that I managed to get a $20 credit out of them, but they shouldn't have done that in the first place. I did tweet to ComcastCares, but got no response.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #7825
ncfoster

We were part of "Snowmageddon 2011", so the Comcast guy arrived on Thursday, but said that he couldn't climb the pole, because the bottom was buried in snow. We could have had him back Saturday, but the problem would have persisted. Now, I have another two week delay. I would have thought that they could/would have sent out bucket trucks for installs in these conditions, but I guess not.

Am I correct that I can call Tivo and get an extension of the 30 day return window? I assume I will not return it, but I want to know that the CableCard setup went smoothly, and I want the money-back possibilities to be concurrent with Comcast as much as possible, in case something goes wrong.

Also, is there a recommended way to get an appointment moved up after it has been set? I am really hoping not to have to wait that long...assuming the snow melts, that is.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #7826
morac
Cat God

The installer showed up late (though he called ahead to tell me this). I put the card in and he called his secret dispatch number and read off the numbers. The person on the phone sent a hard hit and I got all my channels, except of course the Premium channels.

I told the installer to call in and have them check the numbers. Instead he called in and had them check to see what channels I was authorized to get. That took about 5 minutes. After that he had them check the pairing numbers on the card and there weren't any entered for that card. This despite the first dispatcher saying she entered the numbers in (maybe she forgot to click "save"?). Once this dispatcher entered the numbers in, I received all my channels. So all is well.

I just hope the first dispatcher didn't enter the numbers into the wrong card. I checked my other 3 cards (1 in a Premiere, 2 in a S3) and they are still decrypting channels, but you never know....

Comcast really needs a web site or something where customers can enter the numbers themselves or at least semi-automate the process.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #7827
lgbalch

I have 2 Series 3 and a Premiere XL. That's 5 CCs, that Comcast has been charging $1.50/mo each. According to http://*******.com/TiVoCC, I should have been charged for only 3, but it hasn't been worth the effort to complain. Today I looked at my new bill and was stunned. It reads: "Effective 01/23/11, T3ddvrcards at a monthly rate of $1.50
and Cable Card - Qty 4 at a monthly rate of $1.50 each were removed from your account. Digital Access Fee - Qty 3 at a monthly rate of $7.95 each was added to your
account." After a call to Comcast (i.e. Monterrey, Mexico) and another to a Comcast office near Chicago, I find there's no mistake. So for no change in my service, no new devices, no service calls, I am now paying an additional $401+ to Comcast. Oh yes, I forgot, I'm now paying for Comcast corporate greed. What they've done in punish me for purchasing my own boxes instead of leasing one of their horrible DVRs. Each Series 3 now costs more than triple (w/ sub) their box. Not at all what the FCC had in mind, I'm sure.
lgbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #7828
lgbalch

Re my post just made: The ******* stands for "t i n y u r l" (without spaces). This site made the replacement for some reason. Here's the full link: http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...&fss=cablecard
lgbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #7829
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalch View Post
This site made the replacement for some reason.
Hi, you must be new here.
Eventually you'll figure this place's idiosyncracies out. This is to prevent us from linking to a verboten site. We just can't be trusted.

So why did you convert a comcast URL to a tiny URL anyway?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #7830
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalch View Post
I have 2 Series 3 and a Premiere XL. That's 5 CCs, that Comcast has been charging $1.50/mo each. According to http://*******.com/TiVoCC, I should have been charged for only 3, but it hasn't been worth the effort to complain. Today I looked at my new bill and was stunned. It reads: "Effective 01/23/11, T3ddvrcards at a monthly rate of $1.50
and Cable Card - Qty 4 at a monthly rate of $1.50 each were removed from your account. Digital Access Fee - Qty 3 at a monthly rate of $7.95 each was added to your
account." After a call to Comcast (i.e. Monterrey, Mexico) and another to a Comcast office near Chicago, I find there's no mistake. So for no change in my service, no new devices, no service calls, I am now paying an additional $401+ to Comcast. Oh yes, I forgot, I'm now paying for Comcast corporate greed. What they've done in punish me for purchasing my own boxes instead of leasing one of their horrible DVRs. Each Series 3 now costs more than triple (w/ sub) their box. Not at all what the FCC had in mind, I'm sure.
I think both you and Comcast have misapplied the cablecard charges on your account. If I understand correctly, you have 3 DVRs. Unless you have another digital device, the first Tivo is your primary outlet and the 2nd and 3rd Tivos are additional outlets. Since S3 Tivos require 2 cards, you have 2 additional cablecards.

So you have:
1st S3 1 card included as primary outlet, 2nd card =$1.50
2nd S3 1 card included in additional outlet fee =$7.95, 2nd card = $1.50
3rd Premiere 1 Mcard included in additional outlet fee =$7.95

Again, unless you have any other digital devices on your account, you should not be charged 3 additional (digital access) outlet fees. You have only 2 additional outlets and 2 additional cablecards.

This pricing scheme and FAQ has been in effect on the Comcast Corporate site for some time now. However, it appears that your local franchise is just now being converted to the pricing as they standardize the billing across all their many systems.

I don't think anything you have said indicates that this is related to a new HD Technology Fee appearing in some markets and for some equipment.

I should note that my local franchise has never gotten my billing correct in the computer. I had to enlist the help of Comcast Cares email to sort things out. It resulted in a generous $20 credit per month for one year because nobody could figure out how to get the computer to bill me according to the FAQ.

You may need to contact we_can_help@comcast.com to get this corrected.

I also don't see how this is now triple the Comcast DVR. In my market, the 1/1/11 price sheet lists the Comast HD DVR as $8.00. An additional digital outlet is $7.95. So if you had Comcast DVRs you would pay $15.95 instead of $9.45 with Tivos.

As with all things Comcast, YMMV. But I don't think either you or Comcast are reading the rate card correctly.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote