TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #721
rickertk
Not quite new Member

Well, it was going fine, but now it's screwed up. After the install on Saturday, which took rather long but went ok after an initial number mixup, everything was fine. As of tonight, though, I'm missing channels on one Cablecard only. Interestingly, it's only the digital simulcast channels in the extended basic lineup that won't work. Digital-only and HD channels are fine. The problem channels work ok on one Cablecard, but not on the other, and not on our other digital box. The guy on the phone was not much help at all tonight, so a tech is coming out again to figure it out.

Keith
rickertk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #722
toddwinkler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwinkler
Picked up the brand new Sony 50E2000 Sunday, UPS delivered my Series 3 on Monday, Comcast came by to install my CableCard today (Tuesday). Here is my experience with Comcast in Knoxville, TN.

I called to make the appointment last week, made sure the lady knew I needed 2 CableCards. I called again the day before the appointment to confirm and remind them I needed 2 CableCards. Cable guy shows up today with ONE CableCard. Oh well, I tried.

I told him to go ahead and install the one and come back with another. He did tell me that they have had a lot of trouble getting the CableCards to work in a Tivo and that he did one Saturday and it was the first one that went well. I am not sure how many Tivo systems he could have done. The boxes have only been out a few weeks now.

The install went well I think. It seemed to get most of the HD channels immediately and he promised the others would pop in with in a couple of hours. We will see.

I am rerunning Guided Setup right now. We will see how it goes and hopefully he will call me back later this afternoon and bring me my other card.
I quoted myself, hope that is ok.

Guy came back with a second card this afternoon. It worked right away. We decided the first card was set up with the wrong "pricing tier" (his words, not mine) and that is why I was only getting some channels. They apparently had my account messed up at the office and when they flashed the card it got stuck with that data. He could not get it to reset.

He is going to try and bring me another card tomorrow. I get both tuners, I just don't get all my channels on one of them. The tech was very nice and helpful. Hopefully I will hear from him tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #723
BillShannon

(Continuing my story from post #690.)

Another day, another visit from Comcast. Today the guy spent 4 hours here. He showed up
about 3:00. When I got home at 5:30 he was still trying to get one cable card to work. He had
replaced a bunch of splitters and connectors and had run a new cable to the room with the
TiVo because he didn't like the signal quality. Of course, all of this had nothing to do with the
real problem.

Apparently they don't teach these guys basic fault isolation techniques. This guy was on the
phone with TiVo support trying to get them to help. I showed up and said "why don't we take
one of the known good cable cards in my other TiVo and see if it works in this TiVo?" He
never thought of doing such a thing. When we did that, we quickly proved that the second
TiVo works fine, the cable works fine, and in fact everything works fine except the cable cards
he was trying to install, which we proved by putting the new cable cards in my first TiVo and
seeing that they didn't work there either. One of the cards got a 161-1 error every time it was
inserted. I'm sure that card is just broken. Another card got further, but would never display
any channels in the Test Channels screen. I suspect that card was never properly enabled or
configured at the head end.

We were able to get a third card working within 10 minutes. Unfortunately, that was all the cards
he had. He has to come back again with yet another batch of cards to try to find one more that
works.

Shouldn't these guys have some sort of test device for cable cards? Something they could plug
into my cable, and plug the card into the device, and see if it really works?

BTW, all the cards that have worked are Motorola red cards.
BillShannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #724
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann
So the cable guy showed up this morning and it only took him 20 minutes to get the cable cards up and running.

After he left I completed the guided setup, downloaded the guide info, etc... and then went and edited my channel listing to get rid of all the crap channels. Then I set up some recordings and a season pass and hit the road. We'll see tonight if it recorded everything I asked it to!
So I watched all 3 baseball games and Friday Night Lights without a hitch... I'm generally very impressed with my S3! There are a few things I noticed:

1. If you hit the GUIDE button while watching a recorded show, it dumps you into live TV!! What's up with that??
2. If you watch a show that is currently recording on live TV (see #1 LOL), there are some weird litttle audio dropouts. If you go back into the "Now Playing" and watch it there, they aren't there (even if/when/after you catch up to real-time). Weird.
3. If you peruse the guide and push lots of navigation buttons really fast, the audio of the show you're watching tends to drop out.

#1. is VERY annoying - I often like to browse what's on Live TV while watching a recorded program - just to make sure I'm not missing anything good, or to check in on a Live show momentarily. Not only did it dump me to Live, but it left it on the tuner I was recording, so it ruined all of the suspense of the baseball game I was watching. This NEEDS to be addressed IMHO. Do all Tivos work this way?? My Motorola DVR has a very nice little feature where the "Last" button will toggle you between a recorded show and a Live channel. It's great for hopping out of a movie to check the score of a game. Lots of times I don't have enough interest in a game to actually record it, but I still want to check on the score occasionally. The Tivo doesn't seem to support this type of activity. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... I am admittedly a Tivo newbie.

#2,3 are mildly annoying and should be fixed, but easy to ignore.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #725
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann
1. If you hit the GUIDE button while watching a recorded show, it dumps you into live TV!! What's up with that??
Haven't you had TiVo before? They all work like that (at least all of mine have). This is noted in one of the other whinging threads, possibly the S3 bug list, or the what feature do you want thread.

I agree, its silly. Some people argue for this though.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #726
ah30k

When my $190 Comcast bill came in earlier this week I called to figure out what the ^%$ was up. During the long drawn out discussions and several disconnects I finally got a CSR who simply removed the second outlet charge. Great! Now last night my second CableCARD totall looses all access to the Digital Tier channels (except the local affiliate HD stations). Also, the second card had a status of 'not subscribed'.

All I could get from the several CSRs that I spoke with was an offer to "send a signal" and the usual "we don't support TiVo". This was clearly not a problem with the TiVo, but they kept telling me that I should call TiVo support.

I got so angry that I called to cancel my total Comcast package and was was ready to go back to OTA and Verizon phone service.

The rep who answered the 'cancellations' helpdesk couldn't reach anyone but looked into it himself and quickly saw my two CableCARD Pairing Information items and when I told him about the 'second outlet fee' being removed earlier this week he saw that my second CableCARD did not have the Digital Tier enabled. He fixed it by giving me a temporary gratis DIgital Service on that card and said he would need to talk to his supervisor to figure out what to do to fix it permanently.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 AM   #727
jjconte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
The rep who answered the 'cancellations' helpdesk couldn't reach anyone but looked into it himself and quickly saw my two CableCARD Pairing Information items and when I told him about the 'second outlet fee' being removed earlier this week he saw that my second CableCARD did not have the Digital Tier enabled. He fixed it by giving me a temporary gratis DIgital Service on that card and said he would need to talk to his supervisor to figure out what to do to fix it permanently.

I too just received my cable bill with per card charges ($5.99/ea) after being told there would be no monthly charges. One problem was they did not remove my DVR package so both CCs were considered additional outlets. After removing the DVR she said now just the 2nd CC would be $5.99/mo. I pleaded my case with dates/names/IDs of the person that told me no charge. She said if she removed the charge from the second card, it would not work (i.e. no premium channels). Sounds like this might be true. I will be curious to see what your outcome is. Also, I mentioned "the $1.50 memo" and of course they knew nothing about it.

Last edited by jjconte : 10-04-2006 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Did not quote correctly.
jjconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #728
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Haven't you had TiVo before? They all work like that (at least all of mine have). This is noted in one of the other whinging threads, possibly the S3 bug list, or the what feature do you want thread.

I agree, its silly. Some people argue for this though.
Nope - I'm a Tivo newbie. The S3 is my first unit.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #729
Harrypr

My install in Atlanta went ""fairly"" smoothly. At first the installer called his supervisor and was told told that Comcast does not support tivo. I nicely, but strongly INSISTED that they do and that I wanted him to proceed with the install and that his supervisor was wrong. He agreed to attempt the install at my request. We installed both cards- very easy. He called in the information on the cards and activated them. For 3-4 minutes there was a cablecard error on screen, but that quickly updated and cleared by itself. I checked all of the channels on both cards and all are coming in perfectly, including HD & HBO. Harry
Harrypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #730
Maeglin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypr
My install in Atlanta went ""fairly"" smoothly. At first the installer called his supervisor and was told told that Comcast does not support tivo. I nicely, but strongly INSISTED that they do and that I wanted him to proceed with the install and that his supervisor was wrong. He agreed to attempt the install at my request.
Hopefully, if I meet the same response on Sat., I can get him to do it as well. As I said before, my experience so far calling CSRs in the area have been "Tivo doesn't support the cards", not "we don't support Tivo". That was a fairly easy one to get past.

Quote:
We installed both cards- very easy. He called in the information on the cards and activated them.
Out of curiosity, did they use the host and data IDs, or just the serial numbers?
Maeglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #731
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeglin
Out of curiosity, did they use the host and data IDs, or just the serial numbers?
This would depend on which version of the DAC (headend gear that control authorizations) your local headend is using. Older software did not require pairing of the CableCARD to the host and could be set up with just the serial number. This is why some people can get them handed out over the counter and some require a truck-roll. Newer DAC software required the DAC operator (who's phone number is triple-super-duper-top-secret) to manually add the pairing data (CC SN, Host # and hash-data #). The truck-roll tech has the DAC operator phone number.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #732
Maeglin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
This would depend on which version of the DAC (headend gear that control authorizations) your local headend is using.
I was asking that based on the idea that the version might be consistent at least across most of the Atlanta area (of which Norcross is a part, in case you're not aware).
Maeglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #733
toddwinkler

Follow up to post #722

CableCard install in Knoxville, TN.

I am up and running right now. They replaced my first card with a card that had been "re-flashed" with my correct channel set and it worked first try. So, for the most part, a smooth install except for the first card they tried. The problem again was not with the Tivo, but with the permissions they set on the first card.

Hopefully everything will remain working. Thanks to this thread and everyone posting for all their help.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #734
uksausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyw1
I was in local comcast last Thursday 9/28 to have my second tivo cards installed. That is when I was told they now had the memo but no billing codes and wouldn't schedule install until codes came through. I talked to her again yesterday morning and she said she still did not have them. While in a meeting this am with cell phone off she left message that comcast would be out for install tomorrow morning 8-12. I assume that means she was able to change my billing error from $6.95 to $1.50.

I have no other equipment from comcast. Just the cablecards for the two TiVos. I am told if you use only one cable card from comcast there is no charge for it. However, I have read on this site that you loose dual tuner capability with just one card installed. It stops the second tuner from working.

This is what I am being told the charges will be:

1st card free
2nd card $1.50
3rd card $6.95 (Becuase of additional outlet charge)
4th card $1.50

I really won't be sure until bill comes through.
Can you conirm what you are paying for teh digital service as well?

My comcast install has been disaster from time they delivered a DVR expecting to collect 2 cable cards onwards.
Finally got great rep to cehck the install and eventually got to the accounts dept who set up codes to get all channels to both cards.

now the bill comes and I get:
19.90 for digital service (I already have a 64.95 digital package for another TV)
9.95 for DVR service
0 for cablecard (only mentions one)

Everyone is talking cable card rates but what about the Digital TV service to a second outlet?

Is there a definitive story from Comcast or isit by region? (I am Northern VA - Scientific Atlanta equiment only) :-(

I see on the web there is an HD charge of $5 but they told me that the DVR service was that. I cant get a suitable senior person to explain the bill to me at the moment. No escalation routes that I can see either.
uksausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #735
boblip11

Yipee

After waiting a week...Comcast, Connecticut showed up to install my cablecards today.

Final result: Everything seems to be working. Time: 1 hour

The tech was a bit fearful since he never did a S3 before...but he jumped right in. We followed the directions. He knew cablecards well enough to bring four cards with him. The first two we tried worked fine. (I am in a Scientific Atlantic area).

Some points of interest:
Since I have a cablecard in my TV I knew I might get a firmware update to the cablecards. When we first inserted the cards we were able to get the Card and Host IDs. When we tried to go to the status screen, we got an Tivo screen that said "The cablecard is not in normal mode". We took this to mean that the card was updating. It took about 5-10 minutes. Later we were able to get to the status screen...hit the card...and wait for it to authorize.
The "Powerkey Status" on card 2 did not go to READY as expected even though all channels seemed to come in fine. Card 1 took about 20 minutes. After waiting about an hour we rebooted the Tivo and both cards looked fine after the reboot.
The guy back at the office who enters the card info into the headend knew immediately that this an S3 as soon as the on-site tech said he was going to do two cards. He said that he had gotten a memo a couple of weeks ago about the s3. The note said they did not expect to see many of the devices because they were expensive and high end. He said the memo was wrong as he had done "a ton" of them already. That was good news !
Guided setup just finished...now I am waiting for the guide data for the digital channels to populate so I can add all my season passes into the new S3.
boblip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #736
Bklyn
Montclair NJ

Question Comcast of Union/Verona NJ?

Is *anyone* else here in NJ on Comcast of Union/Verona? I've now had installers out to my house on three separate occasions, on two of which they did actually attempt to setup the CableCARDs. They have thusfar been unsuccessful and are claiming that they believe there is an incompatibility between their equipment and TiVos.

Doe anyone else in this immediate area have a working S3 with Comcast?
Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #737
Cherylabq

The third time was the charm! My Comcast guy came back for the 3rd time today. I had convinced him to bring the newest cable cards Comcast offers AND encouraged him to bring several. He put a 2006 card in Cable Card Slot 1 (Slot 2 was working with an older card that seemed to get a firmware update during the three hours the cable guy was in my home Day #2). He called in and had the second card configured in less than 10 minutes and we are now up and running.

What We've Learned...

1. Ask your cable installer to bring the newest cable cards (and MANY of them)--A TiVo guy told me that on average, 1 out of 5 cable cards actually work.

2. Do not go through the "Guided Setup" while the cable man is standing there--This can take about 20 minutes depending on how your DVR communicates with TiVo.

3. Make sure the cable installer and cable operator get the correct numbers (found in the cable card menu) when formatting the cards (listen as he/she reads the numbers and listen as the operator repeats them...you will see most of the numbers on the TV screen).--Miscommunicated numbers can mess up the installation.

4. DO run the "test channels" for each cable card before doing anything else (this will save you a lot of time). Check for the DIGITAL channels!! --This is very important as some cards will show the lower analog channels and a couple of HD channels. You MUST check all channels in this test mode before thinking all is well.

5. Make sure your cable company records the services/premium channels you subscribe to correctly when adding the Series 3 TiVo so that your cable card gets correct programming.--The cable operator told me that my services were incorrectly recorded before she fixed them.

6. If you choose to keep your company's cable box (for On Demand programming, Pay Per View, etc.). Make sure your cable operator doesn't mess with your billing. Also ask what your bill will be with the added two cable cards as there have been various dollar amounts reported in various TiVo forums (I was told it would be an additional $5.95 per month for both cards as I recall).--My Comcast DVR (with Comcast's On Demand/Pay Per View) didn't work when my cable cards were installed into my Series 3...I had to have the cable operator add my Comcast DVR back onto my account.
Cherylabq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #738
toddwinkler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylabq
What We've Learned...

1. Ask your cable installer to bring the newest cable cards (and MANY of them)--A TiVo guy told me that on average, 1 out of 5 cable cards actually work.

2. Do not go through the "Guided Setup" while the cable man is standing there--This can take about 20 minutes depending on how your DVR communicates with TiVo.

3. Make sure the cable installer and cable operator get the correct numbers (found in the cable card menu) when formatting the cards (listen as he/she reads the numbers and listen as the operator repeats them...you will see most of the numbers on the TV screen).--Miscommunicated numbers can mess up the installation.

4. DO run the "test channels" for each cable card before doing anything else (this will save you a lot of time). Check for the DIGITAL channels!! --This is very important as some cards will show the lower analog channels and a couple of HD channels. You MUST check all channels in this test mode before thinking all is well.

5. Make sure your cable company records the services/premium channels you subscribe to correctly when adding the Series 3 TiVo so that your cable card gets correct programming.--The cable operator told me that my services were incorrectly recorded before she fixed them.

6. If you choose to keep your company's cable box (for On Demand programming, Pay Per View, etc.). Make sure your cable operator doesn't mess with your billing. Also ask what your bill will be with the added two cable cards as there have been various dollar amounts reported in various TiVo forums (I was told it would be an additional $5.95 per month for both cards as I recall).--My Comcast DVR (with Comcast's On Demand/Pay Per View) didn't work when my cable cards were installed into my Series 3...I had to have the cable operator add my Comcast DVR back onto my account.
Great advice that mirrors my experience.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:26 PM   #739
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksausage
19.90 for digital service (I already have a 64.95 digital package for another TV)
9.95 for DVR service

Everyone is talking cable card rates but what about the Digital TV service to a second outlet?
Sounds like a bogus charge to me. You should be paying a charge for an additional outlet, but that's it. In most Comcast locations, that's $6.95.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #740
mickeymammoth

I recently got my first Comcast bill, and contrary to the numbers I was given when I originally signed up, they tacked on the $5 HD converter fee! I was lucky in that they aren't (yet) charging me anything for the cable cards, but I felt that this fee was just bogus. So I called up and complained, and they took it off my bill. They didn't even fight me on it much.

You'll notice how incredibly vague they are in the description of that charge. I'm pretty sure it's an extra fee for an upgrade of their cable box to support HD, assuming I had one, which I don't. All their digital packages include the HD channels, so I'm already paying for HD there. It's in the nature of the cable cards to support HD, so...
mickeymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #741
ah30k

You should have seen how tongue-tied my rep got trying to justify charging me all of these fees. It was quite fun to poke holes in all of his arguments. Finally he just said, 'well thats the way it is'.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #742
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymammoth
I recently got my first Comcast bill, and contrary to the numbers I was given when I originally signed up, they tacked on the $5 HD converter fee! I was lucky in that they aren't (yet) charging me anything for the cable cards so...
What were you originally told?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #743
mickeymammoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
What were you originally told?
I was orginally told that there would be no HD fee (or cable card fee). This was when I signed up at the local office. I even asked about the HD fee, and she said no charge.

I think the "HDTV Converter" line item was originally meant to apply to people who needed to upgrade to an HD converter box vs. an SD one. Since all cable cards handle HD, I think they're a little bummed that it's harder to charge the ridiculous $5 fee for us. Note: When I ordered the cable cards, she could pick "HD cable cards" or non-HD cable cards. I assume the cards are the same, but they want to know in the system if they can get away with charging you more if you use HD. I assume. I wonder what they would do if I asked for the non-HD cable cards! Anyway, since they removed the charge, I don't have to deal with that yet.
mickeymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #744
wackymann

I was told $2.75 per month per card. I'll find out in 2 weeks when my next bill comes out.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #745
JennyP

I just wanted to say thanks to whoever posted the link to this article- http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/#ccconfig

The comcast tech had came out and told my partner it will take 4hours for the CCs to start working after he installed them. He then left. So I arrive home and say "4hours!!! good lord thats a good lie as it means that tech won't be sent back out to fix his problem." So obviously no Digital channels came through only basic cable channels.

I did a search of this site found the above link and used that to call comcast and have them hit the cards as I looked at the CC status menu hoping it to go to SUBSCRIBED but it wouldn't. I then used the line "just do the Cable Card Validation or Cold initiate the Card" the rep stated we're not supposed to do that as it could harm the card from working... Yeah thats a good answer. "Um the cards aren't working now, whats the harm in trying?"

So he initializes the card and then states "well lets reboot everything and see what happens" Yeah ok, I'll get right on that... I sit quietly for a minute going in and out of the Status menu and it finally comes back up showing subscribed. I tell the rep "do the exact same thing you did to the first card." Well it worked fine after doing what he wasn't supposed to do... So once again thanks to whoever posted that link. I searched to give credit where its due, but couldn't find the poster for the link I used.

I Love Hockey in HD
JennyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:25 AM   #746
sjca35

Arrow Need to be subscribed?

Ok, so I haven't seen anyone say this, but I've had 3 comcast guys out (6 cablecards in total) and still no S3 HD joy.

Anyways, the last tech (the only one with any Tivo S3 install experiance) said that he had better luck after the tivo was subscribed. I can't imagine that would make a difference, but I suppose there's always the chance for a bug. Anyways, figured I'd check here to see if anyone has tried getting an unsubscribed S3 working. Up until now I've held off moving my lifetime off my S2 until I got the S3 working.

Anyways on Sunday, the "supervisor" is supposed to come out and take a look. Maybe he'll have better luck. Don't think I'll be holding my breath.
sjca35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:33 AM   #747
sjcbulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyP
I just wanted to say thanks to whoever posted the link to this article- http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/#ccconfig

The comcast tech had came out and told my partner it will take 4hours for the CCs to start working after he installed them. He then left. So I arrive home and say "4hours!!! good lord thats a good lie as it means that tech won't be sent back out to fix his problem." So obviously no Digital channels came through only basic cable channels.

I did a search of this site found the above link and used that to call comcast and have them hit the cards as I looked at the CC status menu hoping it to go to SUBSCRIBED but it wouldn't. I then used the line "just do the Cable Card Validation or Cold initiate the Card" the rep stated we're not supposed to do that as it could harm the card from working... Yeah thats a good answer. "Um the cards aren't working now, whats the harm in trying?"

So he initializes the card and then states "well lets reboot everything and see what happens" Yeah ok, I'll get right on that... I sit quietly for a minute going in and out of the Status menu and it finally comes back up showing subscribed. I tell the rep "do the exact same thing you did to the first card." Well it worked fine after doing what he wasn't supposed to do... So once again thanks to whoever posted that link. I searched to give credit where its due, but couldn't find the poster for the link I used.

I Love Hockey in HD
Ok, anyone else find it hard to believe that Motorola or Scientific Atlanta designed a card that will "burn out" if it gets hit with some kind of initialization request over the cable to the card? Maybe there is some kind of flash memory that contains information that someone binds the card to the system it is on and a "cold init" erase this flash memory forcing a re-initialization that gets burned into the flash memory again. If tihs is the case, even the worst case modern flash has endurance in 10,000+ cycles. I find it hard to believe that a "cold init" can burn out the card, but obviously is has been propogated as a story with the ranks of the CSRs that deal with cable cards, because this is not the first person that has heard this.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Sjcbulldog
sjcbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #748
sonicboom

Quote:
Anyways, figured I'd check here to see if anyone has tried getting an unsubscribed S3 working.
Yes.
My CC installation was successfully completed without a tivo subscription (no problems). I subscribed about three days after the CC install.
sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:49 AM   #749
rodneyw1

Comcast tech arrived this am to set up my second TiVo. (Have two now) Tech had never seen TiVo. He inserted cards, called in, they zapped the cards. We checked all channels, lower, digital, HD, HBO, all and they all worked on both cards. He was here less than ten minutes. SO...I have two TiVos with no cablecard installation problems. It was a breeze. I'm one of the lucky ones.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:54 AM   #750
rodneyw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksausage
Can you conirm what you are paying for teh digital service as well?

My comcast install has been disaster from time they delivered a DVR expecting to collect 2 cable cards onwards.
Finally got great rep to cehck the install and eventually got to the accounts dept who set up codes to get all channels to both cards.

9.95 for DVR service

Is there a definitive story from Comcast or isit by region? (I am Northern VA - Scientific Atlanta equiment only) :-(

I see on the web there is an HD charge of $5 but they told me that the DVR service was that. I cant get a suitable senior person to explain the bill to me at the moment. No escalation routes that I can see either.
I can't confirm what I am being charged yet but the 19.90 doesn't seem right. I also have never been told there would be a digital charge for a second outlet. They told me the 6.95 for the first card on my second TiVo but they didn't call it a digital charge, just a additional outlet charge. Maybe were saying the same thing. I don't know. Once I get my bill I'll know and post the charges.