TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #691
richburr

Yesterday Comcast sent out a contractor who installed the two CableCards in my S3. He had never done a CableCard install, but we got through it.

Things seemed to be working fine yesterday, I was getting HD programming and watched several of the football games in HD. I did have one weird thing happen occasionally -- it seemed that sometimes when the S3 was trying to access one of the cards (like after it had not been used for a while), a black screen would pop up saying I needed to contact my cable provider to start service for the device, and listing some of the settings (host, data, etc.). I would hit CLEAR as it said to at the bottom of the screen, and then I would get the picture again.

Tonight I get home from work, and none of the shows I had set to record today had worked. They were all 0 minutes. Monday Night Football was in progress and said the duration was 1:41, but I could not view it. I cancelled the recording, and when I went back in it said it was 0 minutes long.

I ran through guided setup but it seemed to do nothing. I can get some of the low numbered channels, but nothing else. I am pretty much completely screwed, since I have no cable box now, and don't seem to be able to watch anything that needs decoding.

My best guess is that they gave me some kind of temporary access for the CableCards and it ran out.

I am going to call the Comcast number on that screen and see what happens...

Rich
richburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #692
richburr

Quote:
Originally Posted by richburr
My best guess is that they gave me some kind of temporary access for the CableCards and it ran out.

I am going to call the Comcast number on that screen and see what happens...
I just got off the phone with Comcast and both cards are working now. The tech said pretty much what I assumed -- that initially cable equipment is often set up wide open, for troubleshooting purposes, and that had probably expired.

Apparently the cards were misconfigured. Some of the numbers were off, I think there was a typo, and the data numbers and unit numbers were backwards (or something).

He had to correct those things, and he also made a mistake when he was entering some of the info. After going through him correcting things a few times and resetting the cards, they both started working. I no longer get that black screen telling me I need to call them when I view content that uses the cards.

I have to say that I was very happy to have all of the information available in the Settings section for the CableCards. Tivo, I think you did a good job there. Some of it is a little deep into the menu tree, but once I found the right place I was able to look up the info the tech needed pretty easily.

Here's one hint I have for anyone else who might have a similar problem. I went into this menu:

Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, & Devices -> CableCARD Decoder -> Configure CableCARD (either number) -> CableCARD Menu -> Conditional Access

(whew)

Initially on the 4th line in there it said:

Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: no

Now it says:

Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: yes

Also, I think the 6th line changed, it now says:

CA enable: possible

I think that said "no" as well before.

The Comcast tech I spoke with on the phone was patient and helpful. After we got an HD picture on one of the cards, I made him stay on the line with me while I tested them individually Again, a very helpful troubleshooting feature.

He said he had done two or three of the Tivos, and that they are starting to get a better idea of what needs to be done to make them work. Although from my understanding that's not really anything special, if the cards are configured right and working

Rich
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 PM   #693
richburr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTV Engineer
I had the TV on and showed him the installer guide. He totally ignored the guide.
Hahahaha, my installer ignored it too, even though he told me that he had never done a CableCard install (not even in a TV), and I mentioned the instructions several times.

He was nice, but yeah, you'd think if someone had some instructions to make your job easier, that you would want to look at them.

Rich
Old 10-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #694
highfalutintodd

Comcast in Hendersonville, TN - Wonderful Experience

I've been lurking on these forums for weeks now reading all of the horror stories, so thought I'd pass along my own great experience. I decided to drop by my local Comcast office and simply ask for two CableCards. To my great surprise, they not only handed them over immediately, but also provided me with a nice little glossy brochure with the customer service number to call and some helpful tips for getting a CableCard to work with a TV. No upfront charge, no monthly fee, and no installer visit. I was in and out of the office in less than five minutes with CableCards in hand after promising that I'd pay $72 for each card if I were to lose them.

Finally got around to installing the cards near midnight tonight, at which point I got a really nice, really fantastically helpful CSR. He had never heard of the TiVo S3, but while we were on the phone he looked it up online and I think he's going to get one now! ;-) I had to wait a while on the phone because the only people at the call center at this late hour who could authorize the cards were busy with other customers, but the guy was very professional and very apologetic. Eventually, he said that it would be at least another 15-20 minutes, but that he would call me back if there were problems. I asked if he needed any info from me, and he said that he had all of the information he needed.

Sure enough, 15 minutes later I do a channel scan and there are all of my digital cable and HD channels. I just finished the re-do of the Guided Setup, and everything's working a charm.

So, my hats off to the Comcast crew here in Hendersonville and Middle Tennessee. I'm an extremely satisfied customer at the moment, and I couldn't have asked for things to go better.

PS - This is my first TiVo after several years of using a ReplayTV. While there are certainly differences, I'm absolutely loving this box. The S3 rules!
highfalutintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:25 AM   #695
RoyalCrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillShannon
Oh, and did I also mention that I live in Los Altos, CA? Right here
in Silicon Valley. TiVo headquarters is just up the road. How can
TiVo and Comcast here in Silicon Valley not have worked closely
together to ensure that this process would work smoothly? Of course,
the Comcast guy claims that TiVo didn't warn Comcast that it was
releasing this product and that Comcast should be prepared. Since
we've seen posts of the actual letter, we know that's not true.
I live in Santa Clara, CA, and I'm having an almost identical problem. It is totally ridiculous that TiVo headquarters s just down the street but the local cable company has no clue how to install CableCards in the new TiVo box. Last week I received my new TiVo Series 3 and set up an appointment for installation. The cable guy spent three hours trying to get the CableCards to work with no luck. Comcast scheduled another installer to come out today. He was a lot sharper than the first guy but still could not get the cards to work. He swapped cards in and out of my TiVo while communicating with dispatchers. He left and said it was TiVo's problem that the cards weren't working. I spent an hour on hold for escalated support at TiVo today, but finally gave up on anyone answering my call. I called Comcast tonight and set up another appointment for Thursday, asking for a CableCard/TiVo expert. I'm very frustrated. I would hate to have to return my TiVo.
RoyalCrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 AM   #696
mr_bob_dobalena

Comcast in Middle TN

My experience with Comcast of Middle TN. has been very much like that of HighfalutinTodd . I picked my cards up at the Metro Center location (close to my work) last week. My S3 was delivered yesterday, so I went home at lunch to set it up. When I called in yesterday, I was quickly routed to a CSR who got the first card initialized right off the bat. The 2nd card didn't initialize after 2-3 tries. I had to go back to work anyway, so I stopped back by the Comcast office and swapped cards. When I tried again last night, the 2nd card was initialized right off the bat and all my channels are available on both tuners - Digital, HD and encrypted. I was a little worried after seeing some of the problems others have experienced, but everything went fine for me.

Still, where did the lighter fluid come from?
mr_bob_dobalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #697
rodneyw1

I have now received my second Series3 (liked the first so much bought a second) On my first box they are charging me $6.95 for the second card. Local comcast now says they have memo that it will be reduced to $1.50 for second card but she has no new codes to enter yet and will not schedule installation of cards for my second TiVo until she has new codes. I've been waiting since last Thursday to get an appointment scheduled. Any one else have this problem? Should I call 800 number and try to schedule that way?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #698
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyw1
I have now received my second Series3 (liked the first so much bought a second) On my first box they are charging me $6.95 for the second card. Local comcast now says they have memo that it will be reduced to $1.50 for second card but she has no new codes to enter yet and will not schedule installation of cards for my second TiVo until she has new codes. I've been waiting since last Thursday to get an appointment scheduled. Any one else have this problem? Should I call 800 number and try to schedule that way?
Here in north bay area, I went into my local office and was shown the memo about the $1.50/mo 2nd cablecard charge and I believe it had the code listed. But they would not give me a copy of the memo so I'm able to give it to you. They reversed 2 charges of $6.95 for additional outlets but I don't see the $1.50 charge being added yet on recent activity.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #699
ahmed

So today, the technician showed up at 15 minutes after the time frame with two cable cards instead of 3.

As long as I have enough cards to get my tivo going, I am happy. So he took the numbers and called to activate the cards. I plugged the cable cards one at a time starting at the bottom one.

Less than a minute after I plugged each one, I got a message from comcast displaying the cable card information.

I checked the channels, everything seems to be working.

I only have limited basic. When the guy was calling, they told him I need to add digital classic for $9.99 a month for the cable cards to work correctly. I am not sure if she added it or not but the cable cards seem to work fine. I will call later today and make sure they didn't add it to my account.

But now, each channel has an easier number and guide information so now my wife can start using it .

Aside from the technician being late and short, and having to schedule 3 appointements to get the three cards I asked for, it was an overall good experience after everything started working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed
I am in sacramento CA, I called about the cable cards on the 15th and they gave me an appointment on the 12th of october. After I couldn't wait anylonger, I called and spoke to a supervisor who managed to get me an appointment on the 2nd which was today.

The guy showed up with 1 cable card when I asked for 3 (2 for my tivo and 1 for my toshiba tv). He was pretty rude. He kept saying 1 is all the cable cards I have .. we don't have enough stock because there are a lot of people asking for them for their tivos. Then I mentioned that was for a tivo then he started saying stuff like we don't support tivo.. yes, we will give u the cards but u will be on your own.. we will charge if we have to fix anything..
anyway, after that I called the 800 number while he was waiting.. again a supervisor was involved and she re-scheduled the appointment from 6am to 8am tomorrow.

So far it has not been a good experience but we will see tomorrow.

ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #700
rodneyw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Here in north bay area, I went into my local office and was shown the memo about the $1.50/mo 2nd cablecard charge and I believe it had the code listed. But they would not give me a copy of the memo so I'm able to give it to you. They reversed 2 charges of $6.95 for additional outlets but I don't see the $1.50 charge being added yet on recent activity.
When I was in the local Comcast office she had the memo on her screen but would not let me see it, but said there were no codes yet. I think I'll try the 800 number.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #701
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann
My installation is scheduled for tomorrow morning!! I think I have all of the pertinent info printed out so I can help the installer if he needs it. Hopefully it won't be his first S3 install and it will go quickly/smoothly. I'm looking forward to playing with this puppy!
So the cable guy showed up this morning and it only took him 20 minutes to get the cable cards up and running. Here are the details of my experience:

The cable guy showed up with 2 cable cards in hand as requested, and asked me how many TVs I was having cable cards installed in. So I told him they were for a single Tivo box. He hadn't seen/heard of the new Tivo, but he seemed game to give it a try. I showed him the sheet from Tivo, and he quickly scanned it. He seemed more interested in playing with my Tivo remote as if it were a new toy LOL So anyways, I told him about starting with the bottom slot first. He pops the first card in and about a minute later we get the info screen. I tell him it says to call in the numbers before inserting the second card, but he says it won't matter and stuffs the second card in its slot. I had read on here that it doesn't really matter, so I didn't say anything. Another minute goes by and the next info screen pops up. So then he calls into Comcast and gets put on hold for about 5 minutes. When the woman comes onto the line, he tells her about the Tivo and she says they haven't had any problems with the Tivo installations (good to hear). So they go through all of the numbers for CC#1, and we almost immediately get the 161-4 error. I tell him that's good, and he proceeds with the second set of numbers. Then we get another 161-4 error. We wait a few minutes while the cards are loading the channel info or something, and then it takes us into the screen for checking channels for card #1. Everything seems to work on that card, so we get out and go to check channels on card #2. That one works too, so I sign the slip, shake hands, and off he goes. Total install time about 20 minutes (including the 5 minute phone wait).

After he left I completed the guided setup, downloaded the guide info, etc... and then went and edited my channel listing to get rid of all the crap channels. Then I set up some recordings and a season pass and hit the road. We'll see tonight if it recorded everything I asked it to!
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #702
toddwinkler

Picked up the brand new Sony 50E2000 Sunday, UPS delivered my Series 3 on Monday, Comcast came by to install my CableCard today (Tuesday). Here is my experience with Comcast in Knoxville, TN.

I called to make the appointment last week, made sure the lady knew I needed 2 CableCards. I called again the day before the appointment to confirm and remind them I needed 2 CableCards. Cable guy shows up today with ONE CableCard. Oh well, I tried.

I told him to go ahead and install the one and come back with another. He did tell me that they have had a lot of trouble getting the CableCards to work in a Tivo and that he did one Saturday and it was the first one that went well. I am not sure how many Tivo systems he could have done. The boxes have only been out a few weeks now.

The install went well I think. It seemed to get most of the HD channels immediately and he promised the others would pop in with in a couple of hours. We will see.

I am rerunning Guided Setup right now. We will see how it goes and hopefully he will call me back later this afternoon and bring me my other card.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #703
Bklyn
Montclair NJ

My Comcast + S3 nightmare chronicled here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=318874
Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #704
keenanSR

Quote:
When I was in the local Comcast office she had the memo on her screen but would not let me see it, but said there were no codes yet. I think I'll try the 800 number.

Thanks for the reply!
I'm glad to hear that the $1.50 for second card memo seems to be getting widespread, hopefully the folks in Santa Rosa will have it and I won't have too much trouble with them.

Am I to understand that they know about it, but haven't figured out how to bill it that way yet?

Also, if the first card is the only Comcast equipment you have(no other STBs, etc.) is there even a charge for the first one?
keenanSR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #705
RoyalCrap

More on my Comcast horror story--It looks like I'm going to have to return my Tivo Series 3 box and wait until Comcast and TiVo get their acts together (cross-posted from TiVo Help forums):

I'm in Santa Clara, CA, just down the street from TiVo headquarters, and Comcast here has been unable to get the CableCards working on my TiVo Series 3. I have had technicians come to my house on two separate occasions, each spending three hours trying to get the CableCards installed with no luck. They are now saying the problem is TiVo's problem. I'm seeing the Auth: MISSING_PROGRAM_REGKEY on my CableCard conditional access screen. But Comcast has no clue what this means or how to fix it.

I should also mention that I talked to two different tech support people at TiVo yesterday about the problems Comcast has been having getting the CableCards to work in my Tivo Series 3. The second tech support guy finally escalated my call to the next level of support. However, I hung up after being left on hold for over an hour! TiVo support has been atrocious. I think TiVo is in big trouble with the Series 3. I'm a fairly technologically-savvy person who works at a South Bay Area tech company. If I can't get Comcast to activate the CableCards in my TiVo Series 3, I doubt anybody in South Bay Area can.

The last technician who came to my house had six CableCards, two of which were the Motorola green cards (firmware version 4.21) and four of which were the Motorola red cards (firmware version 4.05). He could not get any of them to work.

The technician left me with one red card and one green card. I tried experimenting with installing the cards myself after he left. I even got someone at Comcast to send an initialize signal to my box at one point. However, the customer support at Comcast is not authorized to send the initialize signal without approval from a supervisor (because apparently too many initializes can burn out the CableCard). So it took quite a lot of work to finally get him to send one. Typically the only signal they will send is a "hit," which cannot solve the problem of getting CableCards to work that have not been initialized properly. Even after my box received the initialize signal (and I got two 161-4 error codes, which is supposed to be a good thing), the cards did not work. I am receiving just the basic channels (under 100) and, strangely, the digital music channels (900 and above). I'm not receiving the channels between 100 and 900. I do receive these channels on my normal cable box in the other room.

Basically there is nothing more I can do at this point without help from TiVo in getting Santa Clara Comcast to recognize that the problem is theirs. TiVo needs to provide Comcast with concrete steps for fixing the problem.

Interestingly, the Santa Clara Comcast never used the unitaddress, hostid, and data numbers that pop up on the screen when you insert a CableCard. The only number the technician has ever provided to the dispatchers is the serial number. And the serial number is the only number that Comcast customer support sees when they view the CableCards on my account. The customer support people have no clue what the TiVo configuration data is for. They never have to deal with that data when installing CableCards on TVs. Therefore, they believe the problem is TiVo's problem.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #706
sharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalCrap
Interestingly, the Santa Clara Comcast never used the unitaddress, hostid, and data numbers that pop up on the screen when you insert a CableCard. The only number the technician has ever provided to the dispatchers is the serial number. And the serial number is the only number that Comcast customer support sees when they view the CableCards on my account. The customer support people have no clue what the TiVo configuration data is for. They never have to deal with that data when installing CableCards on TVs. Therefore, they believe the problem is TiVo's problem.
This isn't necessarily wrong. In my area, Comcast doesn't use that information either, but I had no problems at all getting my Cable Cards working (and I know of at least a couple of other people with the same experience).
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #707
wackymann

I believe they used 3 of the long numbers from each of my cable card info screens.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #708
Barb

Well, so far so good. My comcast guy showed up a few hours ago and told me he had only done one other installation and it took him about an hour and a half. He said that installation was very problematic. I showed him the Tivo instructions and some other tips from this forum and he basically said he wasn't very good at reading instructions. But...thankfully, the guy he called at Comcast to do the provisioning seemed good and within 20 minutes, both my cards were working. (I was scared for a few minutes though based on what he originally told me.)

Have to still mess around and make sure everything is okay (and am redoing my Harmony remote), but so far it is looking good.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #709
wowdi

My Comcast experience

Here is my littany of Comcast cablecard with two Tivo Series 3 HD experiences:

1) Called first time to arrange for digital cable and 4 cablecards (2 for each of two Tivo Series 3 HD's) Was told that "I think we only allow 2 cablecards per home", "I don't think we support Tivo Series 3", and "I think there's a software problem with our cablecards that need to be fixed before we can install into a Tivo." I said, thanks for your help and hung up.

2) Searched this site and found the Comcast rep to be full of crap.

3) Called back Comcast a few days later and explained what I wanted. He said snottily, "No, you need cable boxes for Tivo's." I told him about the Tivo Series 3 after which he had me on hold for 20 minutes while consulting with "engineering." He finally took my order for 4 cablecards and we scheduled an installation appointment. In my area, Comcast requires an installation visit if only to soak you for the approximately $17 fee. I was also told that the cablecards would cost me $5/month each to rent versus $4/month for a cable box. They EMPHASIZED that I would not be able to get On Demand of Pay-Per-View THREE TIMES. We all know that those are cash cows for them. I was happy to educate him about the Cablecard 2.0 devices planned for 2007 which would allow two way communications.

4) The cable installer showed up at the appointed time and installed the cards. The total installation time was about 12 minutes per cablecard including calling in the codes to the head end and waiting for the "hit." After the installation, one Tivo Series 3 got all the contracted channels while the other got SOME of the contracted channels. Unfortunately my wife was home during the installation and did not think to verify the channels before Mr. Comcastic left. The installer was very nice and professional but did make some comments about "what a pain" cablecards were. No duh, sherlock, when Comcast doesn't want to support them. We scheduled another appointment to fix the channel problem with the one Tivo Series 3.

5) Another cable installer showed up at the next appointed time to fix the problem with the one Tivo. He was rude, angry, blamed our equipment, and blamed the Tivo. After screwing around with the box for about an hour, he said to me, "Your Tivo box is screwed up. What do you want me to do?" I asked if he replace the cablecards, reported the new codes to the head end, and had them re-hit. He said, "No, it's a problem with your Tivo." I asked him to do it my way just to be sure (based upon what I read here). He put in new cards, called in the codes, and had them re-hit. VOILA! The Tivo worked great. Here is what was wrong: One of the cablecards was bad and the other had the wrong provisioning codes applied at the head end! Imagine that...both are issues described here as the key reasons for installation problems!

Both Tivo Series 3's work flawlessly, HD and all, thanks mainly to the information posted here!

I plan on moving to Verizon Fios (Fiberoptic Service) cable as soon as I can if only to escape Comcast!

I hope this helps other poor souls in dealing with Comcast!
wowdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #710
rodneyw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
I'm glad to hear that the $1.50 for second card memo seems to be getting widespread, hopefully the folks in Santa Rosa will have it and I won't have too much trouble with them.

Am I to understand that they know about it, but haven't figured out how to bill it that way yet?

Also, if the first card is the only Comcast equipment you have(no other STBs, etc.) is there even a charge for the first one?
I was in local comcast last Thursday 9/28 to have my second tivo cards installed. That is when I was told they now had the memo but no billing codes and wouldn't schedule install until codes came through. I talked to her again yesterday morning and she said she still did not have them. While in a meeting this am with cell phone off she left message that comcast would be out for install tomorrow morning 8-12. I assume that means she was able to change my billing error from $6.95 to $1.50.

I have no other equipment from comcast. Just the cablecards for the two TiVos. I am told if you use only one cable card from comcast there is no charge for it. However, I have read on this site that you loose dual tuner capability with just one card installed. It stops the second tuner from working.

This is what I am being told the charges will be:

1st card free
2nd card $1.50
3rd card $6.95 (Becuase of additional outlet charge)
4th card $1.50

I really won't be sure until bill comes through.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #711
RoyalCrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowdi
Here is what was wrong: One of the cablecards was bad and the other had the wrong provisioning codes applied at the head end!
I'm assuming you knew one card was bad because you got the 161-1 error code when you inserted the card, correct?

As far as other card, how did you know the wrong provisioning codes were applied and how can I explain this to my clueless Comcast guy? Is this a problem that is specific to Tivos or does it affect regular TV installations as well?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #712
DocSavag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding
This isn't necessarily wrong. In my area, Comcast doesn't use that information either, but I had no problems at all getting my Cable Cards working (and I know of at least a couple of other people with the same experience).
Comcast didn't use that information in my set up either. I believe that just means they didn't pair it to a specific device.
DocSavag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #713
spinlock

Santa Clara County, CA

$15 something for install of 2 HD cards, $1.50 month(total, not each) fee.

They are coming Friday, I can't wait, I have suffered with Comcasts DVR for 2 years, it sucks, sucky user interface, always hanging, needing power pulled, small capacity, basically a steaming pile of monkey crap!

Yeah TiVo!!!!!!!!
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #714
ampm99
Tivo Zealot

Comcast installer survives Tivo install!

The first Comcast installer showed up with 2 cablecards.

When I told him they were going into a new tivo he looked like i was asking him to perform open-heart surgery on himself! He actually began to stutter and his eyes got as big as silver dollars.

I offered him a bottle of water and showed him the patient. he repeated over and over again how he had never seen one of these. Any problems would need to be debugged by Tivo. I showed in the instructions from tivo which he refused to read ( I'm not sure he could read). he began sweating profusely. I proceeded to tell him step by step what to do ( thanks to all for posting here) When it got to calling his office to authorize the card he needed to call someone to find out the number to call.

Everything seemed to work fine.

I told the installer he could leave and helped him to the door. I told him he was now the tivo expert for comcast but it didn't seem to calm him down. I hope he didn't collapse later.

After he left, I notice that one cable card was not receiving encrypted channels while the other was fine. I called Comcast and told them to send another installer out with 2 new cards just in case. I got an appointment for the next day 12-4.

6PM the next day another installer shows up with no cable cards. First thing he tells me is that they don't support tivo with cablecards. I need a set top box.

I told him "That's very interesting , so Comcast has decided to ignore FCC mandates for approved cablecard devices? Is this a personal form of civil disobedience or has your management told you to say this?".

He responded that he could be wrong maybe he could take a look and "do me a favor" by trying to help. He mentioned every possible reason it wouldn't work. Sun spots, too many cable splits (i had none) , and my personal favorite "Your DirecTV hookup could be the cause!". I asked him if he was related to the first installer but he claimed he was not. After going through the all the steps i had taken to show one card was wrong, he agreed that i needed a new card but he didn't have one.

He said he would send someone out the next day. I call Comcast to get a $20 credit for the late arrival and tell them to make sure 2 new cablecards are available.

That night, both cards start working fine. They called me the next day to say that they had reconfigured my account in some way and reset the cards. They refused to say exactly what they did. I suspect they had me going to the wrong head-end and could fix it from their end.

here is my question

What the heck are Tivo customers who don't (and shouldn't have to) know what's going on with cablecards going to do? If I didn't know any better , i would have returned the tivo! I was thinking about dropping Directv but now I will keep both for a while.
ampm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #715
keenanSR

Quote:
I was in local comcast last Thursday 9/28 to have my second tivo cards installed. That is when I was told they now had the memo but no billing codes and wouldn't schedule install until codes came through. I talked to her again yesterday morning and she said she still did not have them. While in a meeting this am with cell phone off she left message that comcast would be out for install tomorrow morning 8-12. I assume that means she was able to change my billing error from $6.95 to $1.50.

I have no other equipment from comcast. Just the cablecards for the two TiVos. I am told if you use only one cable card from comcast there is no charge for it. However, I have read on this site that you loose dual tuner capability with just one card installed. It stops the second tuner from working.

This is what I am being told the charges will be:

1st card free
2nd card $1.50
3rd card $6.95 (Becuase of additional outlet charge)
4th card $1.50

I really won't be sure until bill comes through.
Good info, thanks. I can definitely live with that price structure.
keenanSR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #716
tcsoccer

Another Seattle install - 4+ hours

It was a painful 4+ hours yesterday morning to get us up and running. The one positive thing I can say is that the tech stuck around and finally got it working.
Now for the whole story:

So we had to get someone out to the house, since we were switching from Directv, we couldn't just go get the cards from them. It took them about an hour to "update all the connections" This meant they removed our 4-way splitter and inserted their 3 way splitter in the box (regardless that there are 5 lines running into the house.) Not really happy about this. And they put new connectors on the end of the wire and in all the cable drops in each room (not really happy they cut the already short cable in one room).

Anyway, tech #1 tries to get the S3 working (while all along saying how he doesn't like cablecards) while tech #2 tries to get upstairs working (just analog cable) I follow tech #2 and my husband watches tech #1. Tech #2 "finishes" with the analog drop, but the signal is crappy. We go back downstairs and watch as tech#1 continues to try to get cablecards to work. No joy, no channels available. They finally discover the signal to the house is bad, back out to the box to replace the splitter and repair some cable that was slightly cut (from underground into splitter).

Now the fun (not) starts. Go back inside and signal is fine now. Tech #1 tries to continue with install. I think this is where things really went wrong because he didn't try to start the entire cable card install over, he jumped into the middle where he had left off before. (That said it was very hard to follow what he was doing and what he was asking the dispatchers) Things still weren't working, no channels. Tech starts blaming tivo, going to random menus and such. He was about to "clear all and restart" but luckily we were able to stop him. So he pulls the cord - rather aggressively, once he put it back it didn't boot. Both husband and I are silently fuming at this point. Then it starts working, my guess it wasn't plugged in all the way. (I was going to scream bloody murder if he had broke our S3) Tech complains about how long it takes to boot. We get the analog channels and local HD but no digital or discovery HD. (at this point I say that it sounds like the CC aren't auth'd right but he ignores me) He thinks tivo tech support can help, their standard response is to redo guided setup. So tech does this. While doing setup he pops out CC #2, setup restarts. Setup finally completes, he calls dispatch back and goes through the entire CC install again for CC1 - all thing work, analog, digital HD. Pops in CC#2, but there is no tuner cause he did guided setup with 1 card, so we have to sit through guided setup again with both cards in. GRRRRR. Does the entire install for CC#2 and it now works too.
Glad it's all working but it was a very painful install. Don't let techs run guided setup, make sure they do the entire process and follow the directions!, not start in the middle.

Oh - while all this was going on, tech was chatting with a couple other installers that were having similar difficulty installing into S3. The installers don't seem to up to speed yet. Tech says "tivo's gonna have to fix this" saying the install was hard, and that they don't support tivo, and things take too long. It would work fine if they followed directions.

Hopefully the bill is correct when we get it.
tcsoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #717
jchapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by richburr
Here's one hint I have for anyone else who might have a similar problem. I went into this menu:

Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, & Devices -> CableCARD Decoder -> Configure CableCARD (either number) -> CableCARD Menu -> Conditional Access

Initially on the 4th line it says:

Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: yes

Also, I think the 6th line changed, it now says:

CA enable: possible
Interesting. My comcast cablecards in Arlington, VA have a different CableCARD Menu screen than yours. I don't see a "Conditional Access" item. When I go to the CableCARD Menu, I see:

RESERVED
RESERVED
RESERVED
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
SA CableCARD/Host ID Screen
RESERVED

I wonder if the difference is a technical one on the "headend" or if it's because I'm on the "Silver" package with no premium channels. Does anyone else's menu show something different?
jchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #718
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchapman
Interesting. My comcast cablecards in Arlington, VA have a different CableCARD Menu screen than yours. I don't see a "Conditional Access" item. When I go to the CableCARD Menu, I see:

RESERVED
RESERVED
RESERVED
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
RESERVED

I wonder if the difference is a technical one on the "headend" or if it's because I'm on the "Silver" package with no premium channels. Does anyone else's menu show something different?
I think you have Scientific Atlanta cards. The Motorola cards have different menus.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #719
jfh3

(deleted)

Unintional smeek.

Last edited by jfh3 : 10-03-2006 at 07:22 PM.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #720
Cherylabq

Not Much Luck in Albuquerque

I'm getting a similar screen in Albuquerque (there's no Conditional Access screen). Mine says:

RESERVED
RESERVED
SA CableCARD CP Screen
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
RESERVED

Any clue for those of us with this screen? (BTW...The Cards used here are the Scientific Atlanta brand).

BTW...I've had my Comcast installer here 2 times already (1 1/2 hours the first time; 3 hours today) and am still not up and running. I finally convinced him to keep trying new cable cards and after the 5th card, we got Cable Card slot 2 to work. Cable Card 1 still only goes up through basic cable channels and my local HD (just like a lot of others writing in this forum). Since Card 1 doesn't work, I can't use the TiVo for my digital channels.

When I called TiVo, the support guy told me that, on average, only 1 out of 5 cable cards work. The Comcast guy agreed that cable cards are finicky but thought only 3 out of 10 were bad. He changed his tune after the 5th try.

Can it really be as simple as "bring about 10 cards to find 2 that work?!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchapman

RESERVED
RESERVED
RESERVED
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
RESERVED

Last edited by Cherylabq : 10-03-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Cherylabq is offline   Reply With Quote