TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #661
bicker
Gruff

The issue was with regard to getting serviced by the one CableCard expert, not getting serviced in general.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #662
BTV Engineer

Here's my install story:

My appointment was supposed to be Tuesday, 26 Sept 1-5 PM. The TiVo had arrived the day before and I had the unit all setup. I waited until 6 PM and the cable guy was a no show. I called Comcast and they told me my appointment was actually Wed 8 Am to 12 noon! They claimed that it wasn't rescheduled, that was the original date and time. Well I couldn't make that so it was rescheduled for Saturday 8-12.

The cable guy showed up at about 11:30 AM. He said he had done a few cablecards in TVs but never a TiVo. He then went on to tell me that it could either be easy or a nightmare. I had the TV on and showed him the installer guide. He totally ignored the guide. He then shut the TV off, unplugged the TiVo and put in a CableCard. I stood there shaking my head. We then waited for the TiVo to startup. We weren't presented with an MMI screen and he futzed around with the TiVo for a little while before calling someone. They kept hitting the card but we just kept getting an error that the card was not working properly. Eventually he tried the 2nd card in the 2nd slot which worked but didn't show any channels. He called in and I think they hit this card which got it working.

He decided the 1st card was bad and left to get another one. In the meantime I swapped the card in the 2nd slot to the 1st slot, reran guided setup and confirmed that everything was working. He came back about 1 hour later with another card, installed it and called it in. That one worked fine right way. I ran guided setup again and everything is working fine now. Except for one minor thing, I have a few channels on one tuner that are missing on the other. I guess I'd have to have the cable company reauthorize the cards so that they are the same.

We never got the MMI screen automatically, we had to always go through the menus and find it ourselves. I'm not sure what those screens should say but since it is working I'm guessing it's all correct.
BTV Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #663
Maeglin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTV Engineer
We never got the MMI screen automatically, we had to always go through the menus and find it ourselves. I'm not sure what those screens should say but since it is working I'm guessing it's all correct.
Just a guess here, but that could have something to do about his not leaving the bloody thing on as the instructions state. In that respect, I guess PCMCIA isn't just a form factor... the cards are at least semi-hotpluggable, just like computer PCMCIA cards, and no doubt the TiVo software expects things to be done that way for them to be automatically recognized.
Maeglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #664
jfh3

It's pretty sad that all these installers that have never seen a Series 3 think they know better than the Tivo folks that put the instruction sheet together and programmed the box.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #665
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
It's pretty sad that all these installers that have never seen a Series 3 think they know better than the Tivo folks that put the instruction sheet together and programmed the box.
When my installer arrived, I asked him if he had ever done an S3 and he said no. But I was shocked when he asked for the TiVo manual. I gave him the instruction sheet and he read it carefully. The only problems were communicating back to the headend and a brief system wide outage.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #666
timdorr

My guy just left. Well, I assume he left, as he said he was coming back, but it's been 30 minutes now...

He claimed they were giving special CableCards for DVRs, which I worked out to being CableCard 2.0's. He had a CableCard 1.0 on him (just 1, which is odd because I ordered 2), but insisted that they were a different size and didn't work. Clearly, he's got no clue.

So, he should be back here tomorrow with a 2.0 card. I *really* hope he brings two or that I get lucky with the first one. I've got unencrypted QAM support for now, but I *really* want that guide data and encrypted channel support. Dexter is turning out to be an AWESOME show
timdorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #667
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdorr
My guy just left. Well, I assume he left, as he said he was coming back, but it's been 30 minutes now...

He claimed they were giving special CableCards for DVRs, which I worked out to being CableCard 2.0's. He had a CableCard 1.0 on him (just 1, which is odd because I ordered 2), but insisted that they were a different size and didn't work. Clearly, he's got no clue.

So, he should be back here tomorrow with a 2.0 card. I *really* hope he brings two or that I get lucky with the first one. I've got unencrypted QAM support for now, but I *really* want that guide data and encrypted channel support. Dexter is turning out to be an AWESOME show
Bad news for you... there is no cablecard 2.0 yet, it's still on the drawing board and when available won't work in the S3. Another type of cablecard 1.0 is due out soon called multistream which might allow for only 1 cablecard instead of 2 for dual tuners.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #668
sjca35

Signal too strong??

So I've had Comcast out both Sat & Sun for my cable card install. Once by contractors who only could insert the cards knew and less then I did and once by a Comcast tech. The tech seemed like he just wanted to find an excuse so he could leave (it was 5:30pm on Sunday, so I can't completely blame him).

Anyways the short of it is that I have Motorola 4.1 cards and they won't authenticate. I don't get the 161-4 error either when they "hit" the cards. There are no errors in the MMI screens, just that they haven't been activated/authenticated/no key/etc. The reason the tech is giving me for this is that our cable signal is "too strong" (the GI digital cable box works fine though).

Apparently is measures an "18" when max is 21. Now I didn't do that great in math in school, but that sounds OK to me. When I asked, "So that means Comcast will fix the signal issue right?" he just sorta looked at me with a dumb expression on his face.

Also, I haven't been able to get them to re-initalize the cards... the CSR's say they're not allowed to do that because it might burn out the card. The tech seemed to just want to replace the cards (which he didn't have with him of course).

Anyways, they're coming out again on Wednesday and I can't take any time off from work, so my wife is going to be home when they bring the new cards. If anyone has any suggestions what to do/say/ask for to get this to finally work, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
Aaron
sjca35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #669
jchapman

Arlington, VA

I'm in Arlington, VA and I had my cablecard install this past Saturday. All in all a good experience, although I'll need to check my bill before I state that unequivocally. Per my phone conversation with the agent, both cablecards free, no monthly service, but I had to upgrade from analog to digital cable, obviously. Note that I specifically declined the $5 monthly charge for "HD" and yet the HD channels come in fine.

The installer arrived on time, and had two cards with him. They were blue, but I didn't look at the manufacturer or version number. It was his first Series 3 install, but he'd brought his own documentation (yay) and seemed confident. I'd already completed guided setup the day before, and I explained the complexities of the wiring before we got started (it's a rat's nest). The process was painless if not quick; inserted the first card, waited to get the ID information, and called into the service center. It took a several minutes to get through, but the service center stayed on the line for the rest of the install, so I think that end went as fast as it could. Once the numbers were read to the service center, they sent a "hit" to the card. After several seconds the Series 3 started switching between two information screens for about 5 minutes. There was no apparent change to the screens each time they loaded, but the switching eventually stopped and we navigated to "Test Channels", which worked just fine. The second card took a little longer but wasn't any different: inserted the second card, read the numbers to the CSR, got the hit, waited another 7 minutes for the screens to stop loading, tested the channels successfully, thanked the CSR and hung up. The whole thing took about 30 minutes, and the installer was helpful.

[Edit: My signal strength on the channels I tested varies between 90 and 99. I'm in a relatively new apartment building in Ballston, so the cable infrastructure should be pretty good]
jchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #670
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjca35
The reason the tech is giving me for this is that our cable signal is "too strong" (the GI digital cable box works fine though).
If this is true, then the cable company needs to fix it. I don't know why the installer gave you a blank look - he should have a meter to measure it.

I had some problems I thought might be signal related and had a tech out this morning. He indicated that the signal levels on the cable (with the Tivo disconnected) ideally should be at 0 dBmv. Mine were very hot.

RF levels +17 dBmv (high channels) / +20 dBmv low channels
(Channel 135 over Channel 2)

Creative use of splitters dropped it to +1/+4 as a temporary fix. The tech found that there was a problem outside where the signal was drifting up and another tech is coming to look at the cable equipment (amp?) this afternoon.

Tech indicated that too high a signal (or too low) could cause breakup / pixilation problems like I had seen on both the Motorola boxes and the Tivo Series 3 and that they had been a source of CableCARD issues in the past.

Don't get confused with the digital signal meter on the Tivo - before the change this morning I was seeing signal strengths on that meter from 89 - 97, and I still see those levels.

I don't know if the dBmv levels were causing the cable card state change issues I was seeing (or even if that's a problem), but still doing more research on that (with both cable company and Tivo).
Old 10-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #671
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjca35
The reason the tech is giving me for this is that our cable signal is "too strong"
If it really is a "too strong" signal, they should fix it, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to do it.

You can "fix" it yourself using an attenuator. Rat Shack make a quite reasonable variable attenuator.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #672
rshrieve

1st Comcast bill since cable card install

Today we got our first Comcast bill since the installation of the 2 cable cards on 9/22. I had expected a DROP in cost since the installer walked out of my house with our two Comcast boxes (HD and digital).

Well, the bill is exactly the same as always (except for the $15.99 install charge).

Comcast's CSR explained that the FIRST cable card is free but the second one is $6.95 a month --the same as they were charging me for the HD converter box.

I thought the cable cards were supposed to be free. Is everyone else getting charged for the second card?

Rich

PS I'm thinking of cancelling our Comcast "Digital Classic Package" which costs $9.95 a month. We tend to only use channels 2 to 80 and the HD channels 702-709.
rshrieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #673
JohnTTivo

Nashua, NH installation
I went to the local Comcast office on Thursday, Sept. 28, and asked for two CableCards to be added to my account. The service person asked me if it was for the new Tivo box and I said yes. He said that he would have to have a technician come by to install the cards but he can schedule it for me. I asked if they had done other Tivo installations, and he said that they had a few. The first time slot that was available was for today, from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. The cost would be free for the first card, and $2.50 for the second card. I didn't ask about the installation cost.

The contractor came by around 2:45 PM. I asked him, Mark, if he had done any Tivo installations. He said no, but Comcast had given him worksheets to use when installing CableCards in Tivos. He installed the first card in slot 1. Tivo recognized it and he wrote down the host/data info from the screen. His worksheet had a copy of the Tivo screen so that he knew where to get the info. Then he put in the second card and wrote down the info for it. He called Comcast and, of course, was on hold for about 10 minutes before he could have them add the cards to my account. Then he asked them to transfer him to the CableCard activation group, and that took another 10 minutes before he reached someone. Once there, he had them activate the card in slot 1, and I got the 161-4 error. I explained to him that that error is expected. I tested the SD and HD channels and they looked fine. He then had the card in slot 2 activated, same 161-4 error, and same success when testing those channels.

All in all, a very easy installation.
JohnTTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #674
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrieve
Today we got our first Comcast bill since the installation of the 2 cable cards on 9/22. I had expected a DROP in cost since the installer walked out of my house with our two Comcast boxes (HD and digital).

Well, the bill is exactly the same as always (except for the $15.99 install charge).

Comcast's CSR explained that the FIRST cable card is free but the second one is $6.95 a month --the same as they were charging me for the HD converter box.

I thought the cable cards were supposed to be free. Is everyone else getting charged for the second card?

Rich

PS I'm thinking of cancelling our Comcast "Digital Classic Package" which costs $9.95 a month. We tend to only use channels 2 to 80 and the HD channels 702-709.
Remind the CSR that it's no different than their own DVR, which has two tuners and one outlet.

If you have a digital package (sounds like you do), there should be no cable card charge on your bill (assuming you only have the two cards in the Tivo).
Old 10-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #675
wackymann

My installation is scheduled for tomorrow morning!! I think I have all of the pertinent info printed out so I can help the installer if he needs it. Hopefully it won't be his first S3 install and it will go quickly/smoothly. I'm looking forward to playing with this puppy!
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #676
pcp_ip

After waiting 2 weeks for my install appointment the Comcast tech (not a contractor) arrived today (2 hours outside of the appointment window). The tech had no idea what to do, and three way conferenced in his dispatch and a comcast engineer over his cellphone speakerphone. None of them had even heard of a Series 3. This is in Center City Philadelphia-- home of Comcast corporate.

I kid you not-- they tried to get it to get my cablecards to work from 12:24pm until 3:52pm. Three comcast employees tied up on an install conference call for almost 3 hours. Every 30 minutes or so one of them would say, "You sure the cards go in the TiVo and not into the TV?"

Both cards were tried in the bottom slot. We never got far enough in 3 hours to use the top slot. My cards would pair, but I'd get stuck with a blue screen saying "Please wait...Acquiring Channel Information" (cellphone pic). After 20 or so minutes the screen would switch to the 161-4 error. They finally gave up and left.

I'm not sure what to do now. Columbus Avenue Comcast Dispatch for Center City thinks the problem is either signal level or the TiVo, but they appear to be happier assigning the blame to TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

at&tivo 214hours - running nonstop since 2001
tivo 80hours
series 3

Last edited by pcp_ip : 10-02-2006 at 05:20 PM.
pcp_ip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #677
shady
We have chickens!

I took my comcast pvr back today, after having the cablecards installed for a week.

They wouldn't give me a free digital box, like it says I'm entitled to on the FAQ on their web site. They told me I'd have to pay for it. They are also charging me for the 2nd cablecard, even though it says they are free on their website
Old 10-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #678
ah30k

I'm on the phone with them too! My bill is a $189 frickin dollars!!!

This is flippin ridiculous.

I was under the impression there would be no $8.95 outlet fee and they snuck the truck-roll fee in as well which I was told they would not do.

They're not budging yet on the fees but I'm still working on them.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:51 PM   #679
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
They're not budging yet on the fees but I'm still working on them.
You could try calling back and playing CSR roulette. My first rep didn't budge on the install charge, I said I'd been told it was going to be free (I was). The second one seemed to accept if I'd been told it'd be free, it should be free. The second rep just seemed more pleasant and "customer focussed", the first one just sounded crabby.

I don't know if the second one was more ameanable as I'd told her if I didn't get it sorted out I'd be contacting the franchising authority.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #680
shady
We have chickens!

I just went to the "Recent Activities" section on my online bill, and I have this line item.

TIVO DIGITAL ACCESS 09/30 TO 10/16 $ 0.84

This is in addition to these items
HDTV ADDITIONAL SERVICE 09/26 TO 10/16 $ 3.50
DIGITAL ADDL OUTLET 09/26 TO 10/16 $ 4.86

Plus there were these two items
DVR SERVICE WITH HDTV 09/26 TO 10/16 $ 6.96
DVR SERVICE 09/26 TO 10/16 $ -6.96

but they seem to cancel each other out.

So not only am I being charged for the cablecards, but I'm also being charged for HD on each card.

BTW: I only returned my crapcast PVR today, so I should see at least one of the cablecard charges reduced to 0
Old 10-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #681
TostitoBandito

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady
I just went to the "Recent Activities" section on my online bill, and I have this line item.

TIVO DIGITAL ACCESS 09/30 TO 10/16 $ 0.84

This is in addition to these items

Plus there were these two items
DVR SERVICE WITH HDTV 09/26 TO 10/16 $ 6.96
DVR SERVICE 09/26 TO 10/16 $ -6.96

but they seem to cancel each other out.

So not only am I being charged for the cablecards, but I'm also being charged for HD on each card.

BTW: I only returned my crapcast PVR today, so I should see at least one of the cablecard charges reduced to 0
That's pretty messed up. I'd be down there throwing fits if they charged me for anything, even an additional outlet. That is charging you for a service which you are not receiving, assuming you aren't actually using an extra outlet coming out of the wall. I have 2 cablecards from comcast (Bellevue/Seattle) and there was no charge at all. I never got their HD DVR so I have never and will never pay the "HD fee".
TostitoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #682
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
You could try calling back and playing CSR roulette. My first rep didn't budge on the install charge, I said I'd been told it was going to be free (I was). The second one seemed to accept if I'd been told it'd be free, it should be free. The second rep just seemed more pleasant and "customer focussed", the first one just sounded crabby.

I don't know if the second one was more ameanable as I'd told her if I didn't get it sorted out I'd be contacting the franchising authority.
I'm in the same boat here in SJ, got charged $6.95 for the second card. I called and got a supervisor. She insisted that the extra charge is for the extra device, and they consider the cable card a device.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #683
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrieve

If someone receives the digital copy of channels 2-80 under a digital package, and then decide to drop the digital package, do channel 2-80 revert back to analog so the S3 can pick it up? Or do they stay digital in S3, and get blocked by the cable card not having a digital package to authorize?

I have digital silver, and used to have Motorola DCT-3412, which is a digial only box. So Comcast marked me as a digital customer. I get the digital copy of channels 2-80 on my S3. When I first got the S3, and the cable cards were not properly authorized, I couldn't get channels 35-80. When I unplug the cards, S3 would revert back to picking up the analog copy of those channels, but with the card in, my S3 needs authorization to get those channels. I'm still on a package deal so can afford digital silver, but am thinking about dropping digital once the package runs out. But I don't want to lose Comedy central and SciFi.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #684
ahmed

I am in sacramento CA, I called about the cable cards on the 15th and they gave me an appointment on the 12th of october. After I couldn't wait anylonger, I called and spoke to a supervisor who managed to get me an appointment on the 2nd which was today.

The guy showed up with 1 cable card when I asked for 3 (2 for my tivo and 1 for my toshiba tv). He was pretty rude. He kept saying 1 is all the cable cards I have .. we don't have enough stock because there are a lot of people asking for them for their tivos. Then I mentioned that was for a tivo then he started saying stuff like we don't support tivo.. yes, we will give u the cards but u will be on your own.. we will charge if we have to fix anything..
anyway, after that I called the 800 number while he was waiting.. again a supervisor was involved and she re-scheduled the appointment from 6am to 8am tomorrow.

So far it has not been a good experience but we will see tomorrow.
ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:04 PM   #685
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed
I am in sacramento CA, I called about the cable cards on the 15th and they gave me an appointment on the 12th of october. After I couldn't wait anylonger, I called and spoke to a supervisor who managed to get me an appointment on the 2nd which was today.

The guy showed up with 1 cable card when I asked for 3 (2 for my tivo and 1 for my toshiba tv). He was pretty rude. He kept saying 1 is all the cable cards I have .. we don't have enough stock because there are a lot of people asking for them for their tivos. Then I mentioned that was for a tivo then he started saying stuff like we don't support tivo.. yes, we will give u the cards but u will be on your own.. we will charge if we have to fix anything..
anyway, after that I called the 800 number while he was waiting.. again a supervisor was involved and she re-scheduled the appointment from 6am to 8am tomorrow.

So far it has not been a good experience but we will see tomorrow.
Was this comcast?

I thought Comcast had a deal with TiVo? A partnership? So why are they screwing TiVo left and right? Or their subscribers, anyway?

Where're the Comcast employees on TCF? You guys need to chime in here. And talk to your management chain. Fix this. It's a rotten way to treat the people paying your bills.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #686
snarkoplepsy

Quick followup to my last.

Comcast made their 2nd housecall on Saturday as scheduled, and replaced the CableCard in slot #2, and after the 161-4 non-error, everything was happy. Now both CableCards are receiveing all channels.
snarkoplepsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #687
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Sorry to hear folks are starting to get charged for their CableCARDs when they were told otherwise when they ordered them. It get's worse. I have a CableCARD installed in my TV in June. Was told the 1st one was a no charge. No charges on my first two bills. So good, right? Nope. All of a suddend a pro-rated month, plus another month show up on my third bill. I call in and they say they'll remove it and credit me. Doesn't happen. I call back and they say the card is NOT free. I, of course, argued the matter. So I contact my franchising authority who is working on the matter. In the meantime I call Comcast back...tell them to come get their card. They ask why, and I tell them since it's not free, I don't want it. They then insist it IS free and will remove the charges, yadda, yadda, yadda. Still on my account, but waiting for the October bill now. I think there's going to be lot's of complaints here soon about charges for cards that were supposed to be free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #688
sharding

I just discovered something interesting when I swapped out my first S3 for a new one. I already knew that our cable card setup procedure here is a little different than most other places, in that we don't have to give Comcast any of the host information. Well, apparently there's no tie at all between the host and the cable card. I pulled the cards out of the old S3, put them in the new one and they worked right away. All of my channels, including the premiums, are working. Nice surprise.
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #689
tirofiban

Phoenixville, PA

My 500 GB Weaknees Tivo is operational!

The Comcast guy came this morning. He said they were scratching their heads at Comcast regarding my order for 2 cards for 1 device. They only install 1 card a month on TVs.

He installed the cards. It didn't work. He rephoned the order in the main office. It turns out they got id for the 2 cards mixed up. After trying again, everything worked perfectly
!

After hearing all the horror stories, I was surprised how well the install went. I was told for the 2 cards, I would be charged the same as the hd box.

Series 3 is nice. It's even nicer when it's from Weaknees.
tirofiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #690
BillShannon

My cable card hell, er, install story...

A week and a half ago my 2 new TiVo Series 3 units arrived.
I immediately called Comcast to schedule installation of 4
cable cards. They told me that all cards would be free (!)
and that they would be out a week later to install them.

Last Thursday the installer showed up as scheduled with all cards,
popped them into the machines and called in the serial numbers.
When we saw that they weren't working yet ("Test channels"
showed "Acquiring channel information") he claimed that it
could take up to 30 minutes for them to start working. And
he left.

The installer was a subcontractor, not a Comcast employee.
An hour later the cards still weren't working so I called the
number he left me for the subcontractor. They reset the cards
at their end. I asked how long it should take for them to
start working. The person on the phone didn't know so she
asked someone else (Who I could hear in the background) who
said it might take 1 to 2 hours. The person on the phone didn't
believe it so she said wait 45 minutes.

Two hours later they still weren't working so I called the
supervisor at the subcontractor. He claimed that these cable
cards were not compatible with TiVos and he would call back the
next day (Friday) with more information. (The cards are Motorola
green cards with 4.21 firmware. Others have reported that those
cards do work.)

By Friday evening no one had called back. Big surprise.

I decided it was time to go directly to Comcast. I called Comcast
and after 30 minutes on the phone trying various things I was told
that, first, the cards aren't free, they cost $1.50/month, and second,
they can't update the system to indicate the charge for the cards,
and thus to enable the cards, until Oct 1 (Sunday) because the new
code for the charge isn't valid until Oct 1.

Sunday I call and tell them the story from Friday. They enter the
codes, enable the cards, send a reset to the cards, but still nothing
works. They say it might take 1 to 2 hours for the cards to start
working. Just in case the cards don't start working, they suggest
that we should schedule someone to come out to figure out what's going
wrong. Oh, and the cards are $1.50/month for each two cards, with
the first card free. They do offer to reduce my bill by about $20/month
for three months because of the problems I'm having.

Of course, the cards aren't working after 2 hours.

After failing with Comcast, again, I called TiVo support to see if
they had any better ideas. We tried various things, including
switching the cards around and power cycling the TiVo box, but
nothing made any difference. The TiVo support person claimed that,
if the cards are properly enabled at the head end, the "Acquiring"
screen should only be visible for a fraction of a second and then
it should be working.

Today (Monday) Comcast came out for another attempt. My wife had to
deal with them so the details here are a bit sketchy.

After trying for 30 minutes, they were unable to get my cards working.
They replaced two of my cards with two other cards, which worked right
away. I can see from the cable card screens that these other cards
are Motorola cards with older firmware. Whether that was the key or
not, I don't know, but it is suspicious.

They then spent another hour trying to get my last two cards working,
with no luck. He didn't have enough additional cable cards with him
to just replace the last two cards. He's coming back again tomorrow,
presumably with two other cable cards. For the sake of the other
people around here, I sure hope they figure out why my first batch of
cards won't work.

Oh, and did I also mention that I live in Los Altos, CA? Right here
in Silicon Valley. TiVo headquarters is just up the road. How can
TiVo and Comcast here in Silicon Valley not have worked closely
together to ensure that this process would work smoothly? Of course,
the Comcast guy claims that TiVo didn't warn Comcast that it was
releasing this product and that Comcast should be prepared. Since
we've seen posts of the actual letter, we know that's not true.
BillShannon is offline   Reply With Quote