TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #631
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive
 
ThreeSoFar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,349
Comcast guy's here now for their second crack at this.

First thing he says is their "cablecard" guy is not in on weekends. wtf?

He's been on hold 10 minutes twice, they severed the call both times after the wait.

I told him I'm not letting him go until he gets this done or I talk to someone that says they can't do it today.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:14 PM   #632
bwherry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13
Just a followup to my comcast install. Comcast just called me to take a quick survey on how I was enjoying my new digital cable. When asked if the installer showed me how to use "the box". I replied he didn't install one. This caused some confusion and the woman actually got somewhat upset because "you can't have digital cable without our box". it went downhill pretty rapidly. I hope the installer doesn't get dinged because he did a great job.
__________________
--
S3 <- Comcast HD Cable
MCE 2005 <- OTA HD
bwherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:39 PM   #633
asahi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8
Seris 3 in SF went well!!

Hi All

Michael from San Francisco here. I'm been lurking but this is my first post.

I bought my Series 3 from Circuit City earlier this week and had my install this morning. I've heard horror stories so I was very concerned. I'm pleased to say that I had an very clean install and all went very well. The tech who came over was very pleasant and said this was his 3rd install on a series 3 and mine was the first of 2 today.
Anyway, I did a ton of homework before he came over. I found a website which I found to be useful so I was ready for him.


The tech put the first card in the lower slot and within a few minutes we got the 164-1 error which we both knew was good. The second card however did not go quite as well. He put the card in and nothing.....having read through these forums, I was very, very worried!!! However, the tech was calm and called back to the CSR for them to hit the card again. The tech did and nothing....just out of curiosity, the tech asked the CSR what account were the hitting. Low and behold, the tech was sending the signal to the wrong house!!! He was sending it to the next appointment's system and not mine. Once he did, within 30 seconds we got the 164-1 error and all was well. The tech finished up and was in and out within 25 minutes.

I've never had Tivo before so I'm still getting used to the guide but like it so far. I will say that I was concerend about the Picture quality. What I learned from my plasma, was if I selected anything else but native, the PQ was not good. It had a milky look to it. Once I put on the native output, NICE. Great picture, great sound and I've got a new toy to play with for a while.

Anyway, I wanted to say thank you to all who have posted because you certainly did help my install. I paid $0 for first card, $6.95 for second and $5 for HD. I'm recording Elvis Costello in HD on PBS now while watching ND in HD on NBC.

Best of luck to all on your installs. It can be done!
asahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:49 PM   #634
c3
TiVoholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi
I paid $0 for first card, $6.95 for second and $5 for HD.
The second card should be free or <$2/month. You shouldn't pay the $5 because that is for HD box rental, not HD service.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Plus (10/18/2013): WD30EURS
5 TiVo HDs: WD10EACS, WD1000FYPS, WD10EACS, WD5000ABYS, WD10EADS
Addicted to TiVo since 9/16/2000, all lifetime subs
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #635
asahi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to call Comcast today to get this corrected.
asahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #636
jfh3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver area
Posts: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi
The tech put the first card in the lower slot and within a few minutes we got the 164-1 error which we both knew was good.
Just so no one is confused -

161-1 is not a "good" errror code - 161-4 is, but only if your CableCARDs are manufactured by Motorola and only during the original initalization.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #637
jfh3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver area
Posts: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
Comcast guy's here now for their second crack at this.

First thing he says is their "cablecard" guy is not in on weekends. wtf?

He's been on hold 10 minutes twice, they severed the call both times after the wait.

I told him I'm not letting him go until he gets this done or I talk to someone that says they can't do it today.
Do you still have the installer held hostage?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #638
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA; USA
Posts: 330
Big Grin Done and Done!

Both problems solved:

The technician that came today found a filter on the line from when I was a Broadband Internet only customer. After removing it I now have the Expanded Basic channels I was missing. One down…

After showing the installer the program_missing_rekey menu line on cablecard 2 he asked if ‘customer support’ had offered to “initialize” the card remotely. I told him I’d asked them several times to do this, while on the phone with Comcast customer support, and even talked to a supervisor, and they’d refused saying that they were not authorized to initialize cards and that if they did it might zap the card (I’d offered to pay for the card if this happened). – The tech today just shook his head.

The tech was ready to replace the card but suggested that we try to initialize the installed card first. He dialed a number, made the request and in 10 seconds the card was re-setting. We even got the “good” error message which I’d not gotten before. The “rekey” message disappeared and within a few minutes the menu display was similar to the older firmware card I have in the other slot. AMAZING!!! --- Two down, we win the pennant!

I learned something else while the tech was here. You CAN request an in-house technician instead of a contractor. He noted on my original work order where he could tell the first guy was a contractor! BAAAHHHH!!

Additional: When talking to customer support on the phone a week a go, I’d even asked to be given a regional technical number to escalate the issue and they claimed that there was no higher technical staff (doesn’t pass the snort-milk-nose test)

My S3 with Comcast is FANTASTIC now!
__________________
“Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or hookers, ... your choice.”
TBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:10 PM   #639
baked
One of the Lucky 200
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 30
Arrrgh.

After waiting as one of the 'lucky 200' for my S3 (WHICH I LOVE BTW) - I then got to patiently wait for Comcast to get out here today for the install of my 2 cable cards.

The guy showed up at the end of the install window (which is fine) BUT he didn't have any cable cards with him.

The dispatcher sent him out on a 'trouble' call. Not an 'install' call. Even though I had insisted that the person I spoke to make a note on the order that I needed the guy to bring 2 cable cards for an install.

The tech was really nice about it though and sounded like he could be 'one of us' as he knew all about the TiVo. Unfortunately, no cable cards means no install.

So now I have to wait until next Sunday for them to come back with a couple of cable cards.

The saga continues.
baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:29 PM   #640
Roderigo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brookdale, CA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoyd
The technician that came today found a filter on the line from when I was a Broadband Internet only customer. After removing it I now have the Expanded Basic channels I was missing.
That's a new problem I hadn't seen posted about before... Troubleshooting lesson here, plug the cable directly into a TV, and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoyd
The “rekey” message disappeared and within a few minutes the menu display was similar to the older firmware card I have in the other slot.
This sounds like they did a "cold initialize" which reverts the card's firmware back to it's manufactured state. Don't know why that would have been necesary
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:43 PM   #641
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA; USA
Posts: 330
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
That's a new problem I hadn't seen posted about before... Troubleshooting lesson here, plug the cable directly into a TV, and see what happens.

This sounds like they did a "cold initialize" which reverts the card's firmware back to it's manufactured state. Don't know why that would have been necesary
1. Filter - Couldn't do anything inside; the filter was installed outside at the box.

2. Initialize - Well known issue posted in several threads in this S3 section. Yes, 'cold initialze' is sometimes necessary if it hasn't been done properly when sent from the warehouse.
__________________
“Honey, I'm spending money on guitars or hookers, ... your choice.”
TBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #642
y2jdmbfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 34
Does anyone know if it is possible to get the basic/expanded basic channels digitally with the Series 3? I am in Chicago suburbs and finally got the cards to work, and I get my HD channels now, but how do I get channels 2-99 digitally?

Thanks.

Last edited by y2jdmbfan : 09-30-2006 at 05:06 PM.
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #643
btwyx
Substantive Member
 
btwyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 11,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan
Does anyone know if it is possivble to get the basic/expanded basic channels digitally with the Series 3? I am in Chicago suburbs and finally got the cards to work, and I get my HD channels now, but how do I get channels 2-99 digitally?
Its possible if Comcast is broadcasting them digitally and you can persuade Comcast to tell your cards to receive them.

There's plenty of discussion in this thread about this, search for "ADS" (Analog/Digital Simulcast) or DCT-700.
__________________
Premier Elite, Lifetime
Premier XL, Lifetime
Premier Lifetime (at Mom's)
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #644
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.
 
hiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area (Novato)
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan
Does anyone know if it is possivble to get the basic/expanded basic channels digitally with the Series 3? I am in Chicago suburbs and finally got the cards to work, and I get my HD channels now, but how do I get channels 2-99 digitally?

Thanks.
It's called ADS and has to be set somehow by your local Comcast. I have it set for my cable box but have yet to get ADS working for my S3. See this thread,
__________________
DirecTV TiVo HR10-250
DirecTV STB Samsung SIR-TS360
DirecTV DVR HR20-100
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #645
Roderigo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brookdale, CA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoyd
1. Filter - Couldn't do anything inside; the filter was installed outside at the box.
No - I didn't mean check something outside. If you plugged the cable directly into a TV you wouldn't have received these analog channels either. Unless you're talking about extended-basic digital channels - in which case I was wrong - there wouldn't be an easy way to test that without a cable box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoyd
2. Initialize - Well known issue posted in several threads in this S3 section. Yes, 'cold initialze' is sometimes necessary if it hasn't been done properly when sent from the warehouse.
The card's information needs to be correctly entered into the headend/billing system. Other than that, the card itself doesn't need anything done to it before it gets placed into a host for the first time.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #646
chrishiggins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Posts: 12
My experience in Portland, Oregon (east side). The short version: GREAT. I'm a little stunned.

I got the S3 HD box a little over a week after ordering (VIP, moving up from an older hacked S2 box), and called Comcast immediately. Their next available appointment was today, which was eight days out. I said okay. The rep was a little confused about two CableCards, but got a manager who explained the S3 to him, and he went ahead and scheduled the appointment. I was quoted $16-ish for the truck roll, nothing for the first card, and $5/month for the second card. I didn't fight this, figuring I could call billing later and maybe get the $5/month dropped. I also told them they could take back the Comcast STB (I have the non-HD, non-DVR model...I hate it, and it just barely works with the IR blasters).

Today, the installer came -- a contractor named Kevin -- towards the end of the install window (3:45 in a 2-4 window), after calling at 3pm to say he might be late. He had two CableCards. I had warned him over the phone that he might need extras, but he said he just had the two. Okay.

So I gave him the instruction sheet and he reviewed it. He immediately called Comcast and asked for someone (I forget her name, unfortunately. Kim?) he knew, who was "good with CableCards." She had done S3 installs before and walked him through it. Basically she had him put in the first card while I ran the remote. I got a 161-4 error immediately after I heard her say 'hit' over the phone. While waiting for the Pairing screen to show info, she had the installer put in the second card and she hit that too. FWIW, during this process I say the 161-4 error perhaps four times. It popped up in the middle of doing other things, like testing channels. I kept dismissing it, and took it as a good sign. The lady on the phone said something was amiss on the work order, so she was correcting it. I'm wondering if she might have removed the extra monthly fee, but didn't want to push my luck in asking. We'll see what the next bill says.

Within about three minutes, both Pairing screens were showing info. The installer read off the info and made notes of all of it on the work order, which seemed nice. The lady at the head end has us test Channel 127 on CableCard 1, which is a digital weather station. It worked immediately. I decided to try HBO (550), my only premium package. It worked. I tried the other HBO's, they worked. Then...hoping against hope, I tried the HD channels (700+), which also all worked, including HBOHD. Wow. Then we tried CableCard 2 and had the same results. Everything just works. Whole thing took twelve minutes.

I am now re-running Guided Setup, but as far as I can see, it just went off without a hitch. Yay!

BTW, both cards are Motorola with Firmware 4.21.

I filled out the contractor's satisfaction survey and wrote in extra high marks for him in the comments area. Overall, a very pleasant experience, when I had been prepared for the worst!

;Chris Higgins
;Portland, OR
chrishiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #647
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA; USA
Posts: 330
Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
No - I didn't mean check something outside. If you plugged the cable directly into a TV you wouldn't have received these analog channels either. Unless you're talking about extended-basic digital channels - in which case I was wrong - there wouldn't be an easy way to test that without a cable box.

The card's information needs to be correctly entered into the headend/billing system. Other than that, the card itself doesn't need anything done to it before it gets placed into a host for the first time.
re: Initialization - Maybe so, but clearly SOME conditions can/do cause cards in the field to REQUIRE initialization. That's fact.
TBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:39 PM   #648
cyeh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7
Beware the sub-contractors!

Another Comcast install horror show.

My appointment was scheduled from 8 to noon today. I'm upgrading from analog basic to a digital package. The van pulls up at 9:40 and it's clear that it's a contractor doing today's install. Swell. I had read the warnings and was immediately filled with a feeling of dread.

I opened the door and welcomed in the two techs. The older one said "Two new cableboxes this morning?" Which was the second bad sign. I replied no, two cable cards. He followed me in to the room with the S3, and I asked him if he had ever done one of the S3 installs before, and he said 'Yes', when it was clear to me that he was lying through his teeth.

At any rate, he has the younger tech take one of the cards and install it into the Tivo. It's recognized. He calls in and gives the card serial #'s to the person on the other end of the line. There's a long pause where we stare at each other waiting for the Tivo. At this point he asks me if I was told that it could take up to 24 hours for the install to finish. What the? He then stays around for a few minutes staring blankly, then he asks me to sign the paperwork so he can leave.

Okay, so my big mistake here was:

a) signing the paper
b) lettting him leave

So they go off and I figure at least I have the cards, I can figure this out for myself right? Yeah. Right.

I wait for about an hour, and it's clear that the cards aren't authorizing right. I have the dreaded MISSING_PROGRAM_REGKEY error that people are encountering. So I call Comcast and have them ping the cards. I wait. Nothing. I call again and have them ping the cards. Nothing. I call them _again_ and have them ping the cards. Nothing.

So I call yet again, and I get a rep I had spoken to earlier in the morning. At this point, it's clear that something is wrong and voice my frustration. At the mention of the word 'frustrating' she immediately wants to dump me off to her manager, who is busy and will call me back by 6 pm.

It's 5:35. They have 25 minnutes. The lessons learned from this are:

1) When you call for your installation order, insist on an in-house tech.
2) When the tech arrives, sit on them if you have to and don't let them leave until things are working.
3) Don't expect to get proper cards or service.

You'd think that a service upgrade would merit a greater attention to detail. You'd be wrong though.

Tick...tick..tick.

- C

Santa Cruz, CA
cyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #649
cyeh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeh
Another Comcast install horror show.

I wait for about an hour, and it's clear that the cards aren't authorizing right. I have the dreaded MISSING_PROGRAM_REGKEY error that people are encountering.
I forgot to add that I'm getting all of the local HD channels and the music channels in the upper digital channels, just not the actual cable channels with content. It seems like they didn't intitialize the cards for the conditional content part.

- C
cyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:27 PM   #650
sea_los
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Totally relate...

Yo C...

I can totally relate to your issue with Comcast.

I wasted my entire weekend last weekend. First I had an appointment for last Saturday 8 to 12. I had 2 trucks arrive at 1230 and 3 techs came in to install the cards.

All 3 were sub-contractors who had never seen an S3 before. They popped the cable cards in and called to initialize the cards. Nothing happened at all and we all stared at the screen waiting for the channels to show up. 10 minutes went by and then they told me that they had 6 other appointments to do that day and had to go. They said that if the channels don't show up, that I should call the 800 number to have them re-initialize the cards. I stupidly signed the paper and they were off.

Both cards never got initialized and when I called the 800 number, I immediately asked for a supervisor. They were very cool and said that they would call the dispatcher to get a supervisor to come out to fix the problem. True to their word, a supervisor came out, looked at the set up and said there wasn't anything he could do.

I got back on the phone with Comcast and got them to agree that the whole install was a failure and that they would send someone out on Sunday morning (next day) for another 8am to 12 appointment.

Sunday morning came and went and around 230pm a real Comcast tech showed up and he totally knew what he was doing. Within 15 minutes he had everything initialized and completely working. I told him about my experience the previous day with the sub-contractors and he just shook his head and said to always ask for an in-house tech.

Before he arrived, I did call Comcast and complained how the techs for both appointments missed their window and basically I was wasting my entire weekend waiting for them. The CSR apologized and offered 1 month of free service and I said that 2 months would make me happy for wasting a weekend. She agreed and I reminded her that I had the Comcast Triple Play uber package at $185 a month. So she worked it out and and said that I would get $370 credit.

The install horror story does have a happy ending after all. So if you have a bad experience, complain and don't settle for something until you're happy. Maybe telling them that I was considering going back to DirecTV helped!

Cheers,
Sealos... in San Jose, CA
sea_los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:49 AM   #651
cyeh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7
The Epilogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeh
I forgot to add that I'm getting all of the local HD channels and the music channels in the upper digital channels, just not the actual cable channels with content. It seems like they didn't intitialize the cards for the conditional content part.
- C
Comcast never called me back by 6 pm, so I ended up calling them back at 6:30. Was immediately connected to a helpful CSR that sent the 7th hit to the cards that day, and promised that I would be put in contact with a supervisor in a few moments. While on hold, Cingular decides that this would be a good time to have lousy service and my call ends up getting dropped.

After some grumbling and reaching for the land line, I call in again. This time I end up at the Livermore, CA call center and speak to a nice gentleman who wants to try and help. He speaks to his 'technical lead' and reads some of the Comcast Tivo S3 notices to me over the phone.

One of the things that is clear is that they are finally settling on a pricing and ordering strategy for the S3's. He mumbles something about a new cablecard ordering number that is specific to the S3's, which is going to be rolled out on Oct 6th (or thereabouts).

The second thing that is clear is that he's having me re-run through guided setup and putting the cards in again after rebooting the S3. I have little hope that this will work, but I entertain the idea that he might know something I do not. After a few attempts at rebooting and reinserting the cable cards, I still have the same problem. He then grabs his call-center technical lead and transfers me to him.

Suddenly, the world changes.

The new guy is clued. Very very clued. He tries running me through the CableCard instructions again, but after mentioning the earlier errors of PROGRAM_MISSING_REGKEY, I propose that we need to do a cold initiation of the cards and that I suspect that they never got the account information they needed.

Now, I had mentioned the need for a cold init to other CSR's, but they said only a tech could do that.

Thankfully, the guy I was speaking to knew exactly what I was referring to and had no problem calling for that signal to be sent to the cards. He had a ton of experience with CC's and knew the process for sending the cold init.

That made all of the difference. The Motorola cards I had suddenly popped up with the 161-4 error that I had read about. He then sent the second signal which didn't do anything at first. Then, on a lark, with one CC card inserted, I tried tuning to ESPN HD which I hadn't been able to see before. Huzzah! It worked! I inserted the second card, they did the second cold init, and it again, I got the expected 161-4. A second hit to the second card was sent. Again nothing. After waiting about 5 minutes I decide to hit a channel I wasn't able to get. Huzzah again! It worked.

Before I hung up, I had him call out channels I should be getting and everything came in great. I made a point of thanking him, and then getting his boss on the line and thanking her for the rep taking the time to get me up and running.

Conclusions:

* If you have a Motorola card and you insert it and don't get 161-4, something is wrong and they haven't initialized the cards properly before you got there. If this happens, they need to send a cold init to the cards to get them to work properly.

* If at first you don't get the SUBSCRIBED message, try tuning to a channel. That seems to unstick the cards and get them to work (at least for me).

* It seems clear to me that you get PROGRAM_MISSING_REGKEY, the card was initialized properly and that you need to either get new cards (that have been initted) or have central send the cold-init signal to the cards.

* HD looks friggin' awesome.

Good luck to all of you out there.

- C
cyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:22 AM   #652
bicker
Gruff
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 9,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
First thing he says is their "cablecard" guy is not in on weekends. wtf?
If I had a scarce, valuable skill, I wouldn't work weekends either.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:11 AM   #653
Gregor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeh
<snip>
Conclusions:

* If you have a Motorola card and you insert it and don't get 161-4, something is wrong and they haven't initialized the cards properly before you got there. If this happens, they need to send a cold init to the cards to get them to work properly.


- C
Not necessarily true. I think the 161-4 refers to a timing error when the card is resetting and the Tivo can't talk to it. I didn't get this error with either card, and everything is as it's supposed to be. The key point is that if you get this "error", it can be ignored.

Glad to see more folks are having success at this point
__________________
Wii: 5166-1365-9840-0899

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #654
Gregor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
If I had a scarce, valuable skill, I wouldn't work weekends either.
Actually the "guru" in my area (their title) works on Sundays. His days off are Friday and Saturday.
__________________
Wii: 5166-1365-9840-0899

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #655
bicker
Gruff
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 9,123
Let me revised my comment, then: If I had a scarce, valuable skill, and was a devout Jew, I wouldn't work Fridays and Saturdays either.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #656
Maeglin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Norcross, GA
Posts: 366
After hearing the news about multistream cards not working as one would expect in the S3, I called up Comcast this morning to get the work order for next weekend changed. 3 calls, 2 CSRs (the first apparently forgot about the call and it was dropped), and neither of them were aware of the S3 or that a Tivo device now exists that could handle CableCARDs. I did manage to get the order changed for 2 cards instead of one but, at this rate, it's apparent that this forum (and this thread in particular) will be an invaluable resource in getting things up and running...

I'll just save the battle about the $5.99 "additional outlet" charge for the 2nd card for another day. If they are multi-stream cards, though, then I'll be sending one of them back anyway when the S3 is updated for proper support of them.

At the very least, I did manage to get it to sink in that they were both for the same device, which alleviated the need to push the appointment back for getting that fictional second outlet wiring taken care of.
Maeglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #657
Bighouse
200 Club Member
 
Bighouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Guerneville, CA
Posts: 850
Comcast came and went. Took about 40 minutes total. Cablecard 1 too its hit just fine, but cablecard 2 gave us a 161-4 error. After they rehit it again it worked ok. Then I had to change my cable lineup guide, he stuck around for that just to make sure all the channels worked. They did.

I think my charge was $16.95 for the install and the cards are free.
Bighouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #658
sjca35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: California
Posts: 31
So I ordered my Tivo from CC and it arrived early (Tuesday). Since I already had a tech coming out on Thursday to swap out my cable box which had just died I tried convincing Comcast (San Jose) to do the cablecard install then, but to no avail.

So my window was from 12-4pm on Sat. 4:30 two contractors show up. It was quite apparent that I knew more then they did. All they knew to do was to write down the serial numbers and plug them in. Said even though they were "enabled" would take 1-2 hours for them to start working. WTF?

Anyways, I showed them the page that came with my Tivo for the cable card setup, and they actually wanted to take it with them... I guess Comcast isn't giving any directions???

So of course, later that night they still weren't working. I called Comcast, they sent a signal (not sure which one) and when it didn't work, scheduled a tech (employee not contractor this time at my request) to show up on Tuesday.

Anyways, after reading this thread, I realized that Comcast doesn't have the Data or Host ID's since the contractors never called Comcast with that info, so I called Comcast again. Talked to "Beverly" who wouldn't send a reset signal (afraid of burning out the card) and all she had access to was the serial numbers of the card, so the missing Host/Data ID's weren't of any use. I got her to send a "hit", but still no worky. Asked if I could talk to the CableCard group and work with them since the contractors were so clueless and I explained about already staying home one day last week for comcast already, but she said there was nobody to transfer me to and they'd have to roll the truck.

Anyways... the good news is that Beverly called me back and since I've had so much trouble lately, she's going to sneak me in the 2-6pm slot TODAY! Woot. Of course, I'm taking my wife out for dinner for her birthday (reservations @ 6) so hopefully he shows up on the early side.
sjca35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #659
sjcbulldog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeh
Comcast never called me back by 6 pm, so I ended up calling them back at 6:30. Was immediately connected to a helpful CSR that sent the 7th hit to the cards that day, and promised that I would be put in contact with a supervisor in a few moments. While on hold, Cingular decides that this would be a good time to have lousy service and my call ends up getting dropped.

After some grumbling and reaching for the land line, I call in again. This time I end up at the Livermore, CA call center and speak to a nice gentleman who wants to try and help. He speaks to his 'technical lead' and reads some of the Comcast Tivo S3 notices to me over the phone.

One of the things that is clear is that they are finally settling on a pricing and ordering strategy for the S3's. He mumbles something about a new cablecard ordering number that is specific to the S3's, which is going to be rolled out on Oct 6th (or thereabouts).

The second thing that is clear is that he's having me re-run through guided setup and putting the cards in again after rebooting the S3. I have little hope that this will work, but I entertain the idea that he might know something I do not. After a few attempts at rebooting and reinserting the cable cards, I still have the same problem. He then grabs his call-center technical lead and transfers me to him.

Suddenly, the world changes.

The new guy is clued. Very very clued. He tries running me through the CableCard instructions again, but after mentioning the earlier errors of PROGRAM_MISSING_REGKEY, I propose that we need to do a cold initiation of the cards and that I suspect that they never got the account information they needed.

Now, I had mentioned the need for a cold init to other CSR's, but they said only a tech could do that.

Thankfully, the guy I was speaking to knew exactly what I was referring to and had no problem calling for that signal to be sent to the cards. He had a ton of experience with CC's and knew the process for sending the cold init.

That made all of the difference. The Motorola cards I had suddenly popped up with the 161-4 error that I had read about. He then sent the second signal which didn't do anything at first. Then, on a lark, with one CC card inserted, I tried tuning to ESPN HD which I hadn't been able to see before. Huzzah! It worked! I inserted the second card, they did the second cold init, and it again, I got the expected 161-4. A second hit to the second card was sent. Again nothing. After waiting about 5 minutes I decide to hit a channel I wasn't able to get. Huzzah again! It worked.

Before I hung up, I had him call out channels I should be getting and everything came in great. I made a point of thanking him, and then getting his boss on the line and thanking her for the rep taking the time to get me up and running.

Conclusions:

* If you have a Motorola card and you insert it and don't get 161-4, something is wrong and they haven't initialized the cards properly before you got there. If this happens, they need to send a cold init to the cards to get them to work properly.

* If at first you don't get the SUBSCRIBED message, try tuning to a channel. That seems to unstick the cards and get them to work (at least for me).

* It seems clear to me that you get PROGRAM_MISSING_REGKEY, the card was initialized properly and that you need to either get new cards (that have been initted) or have central send the cold-init signal to the cards.

* HD looks friggin' awesome.

Good luck to all of you out there.

- C
You know, as I have mentioned in my earlier post, my installer did this "cold init" as a matter of course. He had the CSR send two different "hits" to the card of two different types. The first was some kind of initialization and the second was the actual pairing and binding to my account. I think that if Comcast would talk to my installer or the tech you had that they could write down the "failsafe" steps required, at least for the Motorola cards, and this would go a lot smoother for a lot of the people here having problems.

I wonder if this is a problem with incompetence or something more sinister?

Sjcbulldog
sjcbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #660
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive
 
ThreeSoFar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
If I had a scarce, valuable skill, I wouldn't work weekends either.
They're the ones that allowed it to be scheduled on a weekend. TWICE!!!
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |