TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #6331
Ruger

I had decent success with Comcast in Grand Rapids, MI. My biggest issue was a defective Tivo where only 1 tuner would work. But in the end I got my HD working with M-Card. The biggest issue I had was dealing with idiots in customer service that were terribly mis-informed and pretty much would say "this will require a tech to come out" if they couldn't answer a question. Thankfully I had the phone number to the Ann Arbor office and they were really helpful. They even activated my M-Card while I was taking a nap.
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #6332
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post

Presently being charged 2 x $6.95 per month for the cards as I still have the Moto 6412 which will be going back soon. Installation was $15.
you have 2 TiVos I guess? If not, it shouldn't be $6.95 for the second card.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #6333
ghuido

I got my second TIVO HD at Best Buy yesterday. I got to get the Comcast M-Card for it.

Last time, I had to wait for the tech to come in all day just to be there for 5 minutes.

Anybody know a way for them to ship it to me or pick it up at the local comcast location. Just don't want to sit all day waiting for the tech when I cna just do it.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #6334
stujac

When I called *C* I was told I could pick up an "M" card at the store in Willow Grove, PA and will be doing this later this week. This will be a self-install. Check to see if you can do the same.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #6335
jtmiller

I just bought a TIVO HD XL last night from Amazon to replace our 3416. I'll probably go for the lifetime subscription. We're in Baltimore county where Comcast requires a truck roll. I plan to get the TIVO up and running and updated before I make the call and have them haul away their box the same day they do the CC install. I'll be watching over them with the CC install procedure doc from TIVO.

can't wait!

jtm
jtmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #6336
wouldworker
_

I replaced my Comcast DVR with a Tivo HD on Saturday. The tech didn't bring the cablecard with him because "the warehouse was closed". He called around and found a tech who had one on his truck. He had to wait 15 minutes on hold to get the card activated, but from then on it went pretty smoothly and everything is working fine. He had installed cablecards in Tivos before, so he knew what to do.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #6337
ghuido

I called and they "swore" a tech had to come and do it.

I think the Call Center person was confused on pricing. She says they are going to charge me $9 for it a month plus a $17 install fee. I thought they are not supposed to charge for cablecard anymore or at a minimum an outlet fee.

Anybody got idea of what the true service cost should be?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #6338
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post

I think the Call Center person was confused on pricing. She says they are going to charge me $9 for it a month plus a $17 install fee. I thought they are not supposed to charge for cablecard anymore or at a minimum an outlet fee.

What service do you have? I've just got Basic, and they claimed mine would be $8/card. I thought it was regulated to a max of around $2, but...

On top of that, I'm not even sure Comcast admits they OFFER Basic anymore, though legally I assume they still have to.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #6339
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cablecard+tivo+...omcast.com&l=1
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #6340
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

In my area there's no cable card fee on the first card on the first cable outlet.

If you add a second card to that outlet it's a couple dollars per month.

If you add a second digital outlet there's a ~$7/month charge, and then the first cable card on that outlet is free.

Etc.

Look here (YMMV):
http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ...7;20card%20fee
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #6341
ghuido

sinanju thanks. I already had that website bookmarked. It did not make sense for them to say $9 when that website said $2 plus I had documentation that said free.

Thanks PDHenry that makes sense.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #6342
MiakioAmy
New Year. New Name.

I just called Comcast to get M cards for my two new HD boxes. The lady on the phone said they had regular cable cards and "TiVo" cable cards. She never said "M Card".

Then she said that each card was $1.50. When I asked why the first card on each outlet isn't free, she said that was only for the regular cards and not the "TiVo" cards.

So I think I will be paying $1.50 for the first box, and then the additional outlet charge of $5.99 plus $1.50 for the second.

And I have to pay $17 for the install.

"The future depends on what we do in the present." -- Mahatma Gandhi.
MiakioAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #6343
farble1670

san jose, ca

1-800-COMCAST says $2.79 / month for each card. i was told i can pick up the card myself from local comcast service center, and they are very easy to install.

for reference, the service center is:
1900 S. 10th St.

actually, when i asked if i could pick it up and install myself, the response was sort of an "of course you can" like it was a silly question. ok ...

unfortunately i can't call the local service center. at the minimum, i'd like to check and see if the cards are in stock. also, i just want to confirm what 1-800-COMCAST told me. i have a sinking feeling i am going to get there and be told that i need to have a tech install it.

all in all, i'm pretty worried about this. i just dumped $500 to upgrade my Tivo. it's going to suck quite badly if i have a problem getting / installing / making it work with the cards.
farble1670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #6344
ghuido

The cards are not a problem once it is in the TIVO and Installed. I haven't a had a problem since then.
The only problem is

1. ) Getting the card since I think it is only a tech. It literally took them 10 minutes once they got to my house for the first Tivo HD. The Tech put it in the slot and called the Tech Center to activate it. It was an adventure to get it installed.
Just make sure they bring an "M-card" which is for two tuners or two "S-card". I prefer the M-card easier.
2.) Pricing. Seems like there are a lot of different prices floating around. ($1.50, $7,$9,$2.50). I am going to pay closer attention to my bill.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #6345
ghuido

To clarify "It was an adventure to get it installed" because it took 5 calls to the Call Center, and 2 Tech Visits to get the right install. It was smooth once the card was in the TIVO.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #6346
dverespey

I tried searching on this but didn't see an answer.

I just received a standard cable box, along with another DTA device due to the SF Bay Area digital upgrade. Looking at the work to be done it has me thinking now is the time to upgrade one of the series two Tivo's to HD.

I was wondering, if I activate the cable box first, can I then just take the cable card out of it and then use it in the HD Tivo? It seems if it works that some of the hassle would be saved.
dverespey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #6347
bakerja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dverespey View Post
I was wondering, if I activate the cable box first, can I then just take the cable card out of it and then use it in the HD Tivo? It seems if it works that some of the hassle would be saved.
No. The Cablecard is paired with the device id.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bakerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #6348
farble1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by farble1670 View Post
San Jose, CA. 1-800-COMCAST says $2.79 / month for each card. i was told i can pick up the card myself from local comcast service center, and they are very easy to install.
update. when to service center today. reminded me a lot of the DMV. lines, tickets, numbers.

took about 15 minutes to get to talk to someone, then about 5 minutes after that. not too bad. they gave me 2 of what i guess are S-cards, not an M-card. instructions look quite simple. my s3 tivo arrives tomorrow, so i'll update then.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #6349
cardinal91

So after owning a Tivo HD for more than a year, I finally got the nerve up to drop by my local Comcast office today and get cablecarded. But two issues that I'm uncertain about:

1. The woman happily and quickly handed me two cablecards and sent me on my way, but I don't have any number to call for activation, other than the 800 number printed on the equipment receipt. Is that the number I'll need to call?

2. These are both M cards, but from what I've read, I'll actually only need one of them, right? I have a plain old Tivo HD.
cardinal91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #6350
farble1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal91 View Post
So after owning a Tivo HD for more than a year, I finally got the nerve up to drop by my local Comcast office today and get cablecarded. But two issues that I'm uncertain about:

1. The woman happily and quickly handed me two cablecards and sent me on my way, but I don't have any number to call for activation, other than the 800 number printed on the equipment receipt. Is that the number I'll need to call?

2. These are both M cards, but from what I've read, I'll actually only need one of them, right? I have a plain old Tivo HD.
1-800-COMCAST for activation. they should have given you sheet w/ instructions. basically, it's this:

1. with tivo and tv powered on, insert cable card
2. tivo should detect and give two #s: host id and data id. write these down.
3. call 1-800-comcast to activate the card.

i read in a forum that the original s3 required two M-cards (or two S-cards) for dual tuning. the tivo HD can dual tune with one M-card or two S-cards. i only read this and didn't verify it.

Last edited by farble1670 : 03-31-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #6351
farble1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
I was told I'd have to pay $16/month extra for 2 cable cards with basic service. It's probably a lie, but I have no idea how to get them to do it right-plus I don't want to have them come, I just want to pick them up or have them mailed or whatever, and they refuse to do that either. So I guess I'm sticking with ota and cancelling cable soonish.
apparently, it's completely up to the local service center if they want to allow self installs. i was more or less told this by a phone rep. for me, it was a toss up between driving to and standing in line at the service center or paying $16 for an install. plus, if you pick it up yourself, there's no guarantee they'll actually have it so it might be multiple trips. there's no direct phone number to call the service center.

the difference in price between different locales smacks of corruption IMHO.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 AM   #6352
rritterson

I stopped by the local Comcast office last weekend (in SF-- why do they have only one office in the entire city serving 700,000 people?) and after waiting for the 30 people in front of me confused about requiring a DTA (35+ going all digital on Monday!), I was able to garner an M-card from the very nice and knowledgeable woman at the counter.

Today the Tivo HD came, and after a long guided setup, I put the card in and called comcast. The guy got my name and comcast acct number, and then said he finished. Then I proceeded to redo the guided setup (30 minutes) and got a bunch of errors and no channels! So I call them again and the new guy tells me the old guy screwed up and didn't even put anything into the system. This time I give him the host and data IDs, and, after Tivo acquiring channels for 20 minutes, everything comes in great, including HBO.

Now it's updating after I forced a connect and has been loading constantly for the last hour or so. Let's hope it's downloading v11 of the software since it came with 9.4 out of the box.

So, one hiccup, but not too bad. It was a lot easier after reading virtually this entire thread to know what can go wrong.

PS First post.
rritterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #6353
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Been having problems with my bedroom HD TiVo freezing while on HD channels. My provider is Comcast of New Jersey. The problem is particularly acute while recording, but occasionally I'd come home and find the TiVo frozen all by itself. Changing channels fixed that. The signal strength was always at 100, never below. SNR constantly running at 37-38 dB. Occasional corrected and uncorrected RS, but always fewer than 100.

I had Comcast come and swap out the two S-cards with a new M-card. No change in signal strength, SNR, or corrected/uncorrected RS. Still freezing up regularly.

I tried keeping the tuners on SD channels and recording only SD channels. That seemed to work -- no freezing, even though there was no change in the diagnostic values.

Today I got some attenuators. I installed the 3dB attenuator. No change in the diagnostic values. Then I tried the 10dB attenuator. Still no change. Just how hot is this signal from Comcast, anyway?

I'll keep the 10dB attenuator in place and try recording some HD channels over the weekend, see what happens.

NOTE: There's no external hard drive. The internal hard drive is the original TiVo drive.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #6354
Kunzorama

Flaky behavior

I'd suspect your hard drive is going bad. The guys at weaknees dot com sell replacement hard drive kits that provide much more storage space/recording time, which can be self-installed. I've done it twice, on two different units, and found it an easy install. They provide excellent instructions and the cost is reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Been having problems with my bedroom HD TiVo freezing while on HD channels. My provider is Comcast of New Jersey. The problem is particularly acute while recording, but occasionally I'd come home and find the TiVo frozen all by itself. Changing channels fixed that. The signal strength was always at 100, never below. SNR constantly running at 37-38 dB. Occasional corrected and uncorrected RS, but always fewer than 100.

I had Comcast come and swap out the two S-cards with a new M-card. No change in signal strength, SNR, or corrected/uncorrected RS. Still freezing up regularly.

I tried keeping the tuners on SD channels and recording only SD channels. That seemed to work -- no freezing, even though there was no change in the diagnostic values.

Today I got some attenuators. I installed the 3dB attenuator. No change in the diagnostic values. Then I tried the 10dB attenuator. Still no change. Just how hot is this signal from Comcast, anyway?

I'll keep the 10dB attenuator in place and try recording some HD channels over the weekend, see what happens.

NOTE: There's no external hard drive. The internal hard drive is the original TiVo drive.

Kunzorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #6355
stujac

So, here's the first part of my *c* cable card install story. I called them first and they said "yes, you can stop by the Willow Grove office and pick up a multi-stream card and install it yourself." You know the rest, right? Took today off, went to the store and they said, "no, we don't give these cards out-there are numbers that have to be entered and only we can do that." So, after about 10 minutes of arguing with them they decided to waive the "truck roll" charge and are due here sometime today. Can't wait.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #6356
Puppy76

Yes, it's very difficult to read numbers into a phone-or punch them into a web site AS THEY SHOULD HANDLE THIS. Very technical. Only trained Comcast professionals and all that
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #6357
stujac

So, the guy comes with the card, pops it in and no go. The tivo is still registered, with *c* at least, for the previous owner so...after about an hour and a half they solved that issue and the install went fine and it's up and running better than I expected. I've got to hand it to the tech, he hung in there, at first dealing with a totally incompetent field supervisor until he got through to someone he knew at the area location who straightened it out.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #6358
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

That's the Comcast problem in a nutshell. A successful installation requires multiple people working together, and each of them has to know what they're doing, what can go wrong (and any step, on anyone's part) and how to avoid it. The training burden is greater than they've been able to reliably manage.

My installation only worked when I got a somewhat experienced installer who knew the phone number of someone else who could push the magic buttons in the right sequence.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #6359
nirisahn

Had a long talk recently with a Comcast CSR about the cable card charges. Their system is set up to bill for 2 cablecards for a TiVo. They don't differentiate between an S3 and an TiVoHD. So, if you have an M card in your TiVoHD, they still bill for 2 cards because that's what they bill for TiVo cablecards. At least Comcast in Denver does that.

The CSR I spoke to didn't want to make any changes to the items I was being billed for because she was afraid it might mess up my service. So instead she gave me a credit for $18 ($1.50 per month for the second, non-existant card). And she said she was going to talk to a supervisor and see if they can't add an item for TiVo with 1 card instead of 2 so they can bill properly in the first place. Once again Comcast comes through for me.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #6360
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunzorama View Post
I'd suspect your hard drive is going bad. The guys at weaknees dot com sell replacement hard drive kits that provide much more storage space/recording time, which can be self-installed. I've done it twice, on two different units, and found it an easy install. They provide excellent instructions and the cost is reasonable.
The problem seems to be confined to HD channels. It froze last night trying to record two HD programs, but it had no problem just displaying them (using only the buffer).

Guess it's time to try for a new hard drive. Dangit.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote