TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #6301
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
I was told I'd have to pay $16/month extra for 2 cable cards with basic service.
Look at this;
http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Faq...s.ashx?Id=2651
and ask them what they are smoking.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #6302
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think I'm going to call my local comcast office and try again. I still bet I won't be able to get it done successfully on one phone call and one visit but we'll see.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #6303
carios23

In Hattiesburg, MS:
I paid 6.95/month for HDTV service and that includes one CableCard.
The second Cablecard is 1.50/month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

carios23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #6304
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carios23 View Post
I paid 6.95/month for HDTV service and that includes one CableCard.
The second Cablecard is 1.50/month.
It may be semantics, but is the $6.95 an outlet fee or HDTV fee?
If you added a carded TiVo how much would that second TiVo cost you on your cable bill?
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #6305
carios23

6.95 is the fee on top of your digital cable which is like 50 bucks

Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #6306
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
Look at this;
http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Faq...s.ashx?Id=2651
and ask them what they are smoking.
That technically says "Comcast Digital Cable" though, which I don't have. I just have "basic" cable (regulated), and they claimed that's why it's $16/month instead of $2 or whatever.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #6307
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That technically says "Comcast Digital Cable" though, which I don't have. I just have "basic" cable (regulated), and they claimed that's why it's $16/month instead of $2 or whatever.
You need to contact the Comcast corporate office Comcast Cares group; you should be able to get CableCARDs even on a non-digital package in order to get access to your local HD channels.

There's contact info for them at http://twitter.com/comcastcares

dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #6308
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
I have limited basic and pay $1.79 for 2 cards. My parents have limited basic and pay nothing for 1 card.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #6309
Thunderclap

Moondriver actually asked one of my questions a few days back (whether or not Comcast Basic/Standard cable will work with Tivo, or if you were required to have one of their "digital" packages). Right now I'm paying $115 just for cable television ($175 for tv and internet) which is just insane the more I think about it. I'd like to drop to their standard package because it drops the cost to $60.

So standard will work... but my other question, one that wasn't answered, is this: will I still get HD content or is THAT exclusive to their digital packages?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #6310
SOTA

Wow can someone thats been following and participating in this thread maybe try to summarize for us newbies whether or not its worth the headaches to go with a Tivo HD and Comcast CC's.

Im thinking of grabbing one of the Tivo HD's at Sears or price match to Best Buy for $199. After reading through this thread and elsewhere, it seems the cable cards are extremely hit or miss. And from what i think i have gathered is that the M-Cards have a better track record than the dual S-Cards.

I spoke to 2 different Comcast CR's this morning, 1 Tech support person and one supervisor and the best they could tell me is that they will put on my work order that i requested an M-Card. They could not guarantee that the tech will have it though.

Im in the Leominster, MA area and i was told 2 S-cards would be $1.95 pr/month and that the 1 M-Card would be $6.95 pr/month if available. Both setups would require a tech and that would be $17.50.

My Comcast DVR has served me well these last few years, but the cost is up to $16.90 pr/month for the HD STB, remote and DVR service.

My thoughts were to go with the Tivo HD, buy a lifetime for i think $300 (please correct me if im wrong) and figure my payback would be about 2.5 yrs if i get an M-Card.

With the added features and Interface of the Tivo its worth it to me if it works.

I dont care about On Demand or PPV from Comcast so thats not a concern.

Those with Tivo HD's and Comcast M-Cards if you had it to do all over again would you?

I realize this is a discussion forum and a lot of times people are looking for support, so ill try to keep that in mind.
SOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #6311
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTA View Post
My thoughts were to go with the Tivo HD, buy a lifetime for i think $300 (please correct me if im wrong) and figure my payback would be about 2.5 yrs if i get an M-Card.
I believe the lifetime service is $399. It's $299 if you already have another subscribed TiVo.

Quote:
Those with Tivo HD's and Comcast M-Cards if you had it to do all over again would you?
Yes.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #6312
carios23

Quote:

I do not ask what's on TV, I asked what's on TiVo

Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #6313
ghuido

I have Comcast and a TIVO HD with M-Card. I would do it again. I have not suffered any crazy setup issues or anything. The Tech came in had it activated and no problems since then on the CableCard.

I'm thinking of getting another TIVO HD with an M-Card soon to record more HD Programming. Currently don't pay anythign for the Cable Card.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #6314
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap View Post
Moondriver actually asked one of my questions a few days back (whether or not Comcast Basic/Standard cable will work with Tivo, or if you were required to have one of their "digital" packages). Right now I'm paying $115 just for cable television ($175 for tv and internet) which is just insane the more I think about it. I'd like to drop to their standard package because it drops the cost to $60.

So standard will work...
I'm not trying to use standard though. IMO $60/month for cable is beyond insane. I just want to use basic-the government regulated tier, which is what they claim would basically more than double the price to work with my Tivo HD (since I'd need $16 more a month for 2 cable cards).

ATSC actually seems to be working about perfectly though, so...
Old 03-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #6315
GT500Shlby

Philadelphia Suburbs (Eastern Montgomery County, PA). I have Comcast basic cable (70 Channels, TNT, TBS, USA, FoodTV, Etc..), a multistream cable card and the $3.95/m wiring protection package and Comcast Cable Internet. I pay $86/m for everything with 1 cable card and 1 cable box.

I have a TiVo-HD with the M-card and I get almost everything except HBO, Showtime and Comcast's VOD. The card was free and the tech dropped it off for free (he was already at the house to repair the wiring). I get all the channels I am entitled to in HD.
GT500Shlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #6316
Bob Lee

Quote:
I spoke to 2 different Comcast CR's this morning, 1 Tech support person and one supervisor and the best they could tell me is that they will put on my work order that i requested an M-Card. They could not guarantee that the tech will have it though.

Im in the Leominster, MA area and i was told 2 S-cards would be $1.95 pr/month and that the 1 M-Card would be $6.95 pr/month if available. Both setups would require a tech and that would be $17.50.

My Comcast DVR has served me well these last few years, but the cost is up to $16.90 pr/month for the HD STB, remote and DVR service.

I went from the Comcast HD DVR to a Tivo HD last week, and the transition went really smoothly, to my surprise. I live in the Bay Area, and I was able to just drop in at the local Comcast office to get my new M-card, saving me a few bucks on a service call. From what I could tell my request was pretty routine for them; they knew exactly what needed to be done. Out here I think the M-card costs us $1.79 a month, and there is no additional charge above that for running a Tivo. In fact, this ends up saving me a few bucks a month because when you add the $1.79 and the Tivo monthly service charge together it's still less than the $15.99 I was paying for the crappy Comcast unit.

Not sure about the $6.95 you're being charged, but I suspect this may actually be an "outlet fee" due to your having multiple Comcast units at your residence. If the Tivo is your one and only Comcast unit at home then I don't think you need to pay this fee...you would only need to pay for the M-Card. I could be wrong, though, as it seems like Comcast charges vary depending on your geography.
Bob Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #6317
stujac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500Shlby View Post
Philadelphia Suburbs (Eastern Montgomery County, PA). I have Comcast basic cable (70 Channels, TNT, TBS, USA, FoodTV, Etc..), a multistream cable card and the $3.95/m wiring protection package and Comcast Cable Internet. I pay $86/m for everything with 1 cable card and 1 cable box.

I have a TiVo-HD with the M-card and I get almost everything except HBO, Showtime and Comcast's VOD. The card was free and the tech dropped it off for free (he was already at the house to repair the wiring). I get all the channels I am entitled to in HD.
Willow Grove?? That's a pretty good deal, especially with the internet. I called them the other day and they quoted me $5 per month for the m-card.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #6318
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500Shlby View Post
That's not basic, it would be "standard" or whatever they call it now. Basic is $12-15ish a month. And you should be getting the cable card for free, if its the first one.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #6319
GT500Shlby

I see that a lot. They go around spouting different prices, even in the same town!

I called them up and told them they are mandated by the FCC to give me a free cable card and they will do just that. The first CR didn't even know what a cable card was, the second said you can only get a Comcast cable box adn you would have to remove the cable card from that. Obviously its all BS. I got a manager, and really laid into him. I wasn't mean, but I was very firm and I told him point blank "I want an M-Card, I'm not paying a dime for it and you will have it in my hands by 11am tomorrow morning."

The tech was there at 9:30am with the M-card. he came, fixed the wiring issue (actually ran new wires from the pole, through the house - the whole 9 yards), and gave me my Card.

I put the card in the Tivo, called support, 10 minutes later I was watching HDTV.

You need to be polite and firm. You tell them what you are willing to pay for what. If they say yes, good. If they say no, you say "okay, I would like you to cancel my account I'm going to FiOS/uVerse/whatever". Normally they send you to the customer retention center and you reiterate what you want. They have "minimum sustaining pricing" and "minimum temporary pricing" limits. Stuff like cable cards, have no value and they will give out for free. Cable boxes they usually only allow you to get away for 6 or 12 months for free.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #6320
Puppy76

I think technically they CAN charge you for the first cablecard (up to $2 something) but Comcast officially doesn't for the first one...*IF* you can get them to give you the first one for the correct price.

I hate these cable companies so much though. Wish we'd reregulate them. When people think $60 is a good price (versus over $100?!?!?) something is seriously, seriously wrong.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #6321
GT500Shlby

Quote:
That's not basic, it would be "standard" or whatever they call it now. Basic is $12-15ish a month. And you should be getting the cable card for free, if its the first one.
Standard is right. Basic I think is just the big 4 + public access on QAM only.
$86/m is fine for both internet and TV. However, I used to have FiOS in my old house - I paid $112/m but when I canceled I had the lady offering me $76/m for Extreme-HD & 20Mbps internet for 12 months with it going up to $89/m after that, but I could always go back on another deal after the 12 months. I told her no, because Comcast was still cheaper at $86/m sustaining.

If I complain about the price, I bet I can get a few bucks shaved off. I pull a Sarah Bernhardt and start crying about the recession and how money is too tight and yada yada yada, I can get on some new deal with free HBO for a year.

I just wish that approach would work at the BMW dealer! ;-)
Old 03-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #6322
GT500Shlby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
Willow Grove?? That's a pretty good deal, especially with the internet. I called them the other day and they quoted me $5 per month for the m-card.
I'm in Lower Gwynedd Township - but Willow Grove would be the same area and the same Comcast service.

be firm, concise and act like you know the entire absolute truth about Cable Cards. Dale Carnegie wrote a book some eons ago titled "How to Win Friends and Influence People." and another one called "How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People By Public Speaking." You can get both books for under $10 each. Also, you can take a few psychology courses at the local community college on how to influence and manipulate people. VERY helpful when you want to make people do what you want them to do. And the dumber, the easier it is.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #6323
stujac

Uh, thank for that. I negotiate claim settlements every day but I'll be sure to pick up the extra reading material.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #6324
SOTA

Ok another quick question that will hopefully push me off the fence.
What is the largest Hard drive that i can stick in the Tivo HD, or is it preferable or necassary to connect an external one via the E-Sata port?
I think i found my answers here.
SOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #6325
beobuff

Quote:
Well, they almost got it right. In eastern MA, the first cable card, whether it is an S-card or M-card, is free; any additional cards are $1.95/month. Obviously, you are better off getting one M-card for a Tivo HD than two S-cards. The truck roll charge is $17.50; there is no way they will let you install the cards yourself. Believe me, I tried to get them to budge on that issue, with no success whatsoever.
beobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #6326
beobuff

Quote:
What is the largest Hard drive that i can stick in the Tivo HD, or is it preferable or necassary to connect an external one via the E-Sata port?
The largest drive you can put in the Tivo HD is a 1.0 terabyte, which will give you essentially the functionality of a Tivo HD XL. However, this does void the unit's one year warranty. You might want to keep the original drive until the first year warranty period is over and then install the 1.0 tb drive. If you had a lifetime subscription, you would have to put the original drive back in to get Tivo to swap out a defective unit and transfer your lifetime subscription to a new [actually a factory-refurbished] replacement unit. In any event, the original drive does fill up very quickly. The only external expansion drive supported by Tivo is one specific WD 500mb model.
beobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #6327
Puppy76

Are you sure it's really limited to 1TB? I mean any SATA should support as large as they come-it should work with a 1.5 or 2TB drive unless there's some arbitrary software limitation.

That said, I've got an HD XL, and the 1TB drive seems like a totally adequate size. It's supposed to be 150 hours of HD on average, and so far I've got over 60 deleted shows. 1TB for ATSC is worth more than the 80GB drive I had in my Series 2 was for NTSC. (And if you have cable, it's probably worth more, as I think cable transmits lower bit rates/worse quality than over the air ATSC does.)

From all the problems I've heard with that external expander, it sounds like a single internal drive is the way to go. Just by default that makes the setup twice as reliable as two drives, only it sounds like that external drive fails at a MUCH higher rate than internal drives do.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #6328
Kunzorama

It IS worth it!

Quote:
Wow can someone thats been following and participating in this thread maybe try to summarize for us newbies whether or not its worth the headaches to go with a Tivo HD and Comcast CC's....
{snip}
I firmly believe it IS worth is to invest in a Tivo, especially if you're not wedded to the on demand services. In this thread, you read about the people with issues with their install. Most of the people who have successful installs don't ever find this support forum, or if they do, they don't post their success stories.

The Tivo instructional materials that ship with their units are much better now than they used to be. Debugging info in this forum and on the Tivo web site are much more helpful and useful.

I've installed Tivos with cablecards at three different locations -- two Comcast and one Charter cable service. In my experience, the technician who comes to your home (if they don't allow a self-install) are the biggest impediment to a successful install. They tend to be contractors, familiar with outside wiring and standard cable TV installs, but unfamiliar with cablecards and generally ignorant of Tivo-specific issues. Fortunately, the bulk of the work that needs to be done to get cablecard(s) working properly in a Tivo needs to be done by the home office folks, who get the phone call from the technician. If they've got your account set up properly, and are willing to work through the provisioning step-by-step, installation should not be much of a problem. That's a big if, however.

In the end, the Tivo service, Tivo interface, and overall functioning of the system is far, far superior to what's currently offered in the DVRs offered by Comcast or other cable companies, IMO. I say, take the plunge, read the materials that come with your Tivo, run guided setup before the installer arrives, ask for an experienced installer (not a contractor), with extra cablecards, and let us know if you have any problems. In the end, Tivo will change your life (for the better).
Kunzorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #6329
grue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post
I went from the Comcast HD DVR to a Tivo HD last week, and the transition went really smoothly, to my surprise. I live in the Bay Area, and I was able to just drop in at the local Comcast office to get my new M-card, saving me a few bucks on a service call. From what I could tell my request was pretty routine for them; they knew exactly what needed to be done.
I did exactly this last week (I'm in the Bay Area too ) and it went pretty smooth. When I called to activate the cablecard, it wasn't working right away and the guy told me there was a problem with the TiVo's firmware. I told him I doubted that was the problem, but he insisted. It was 2 in the morning so I decided to call back later and talk to someone else, but it started working fine about 5 minutes later.

Apparently, I am getting charged a 6.99 outlet fee, and all I have is a standard cable box (on a second TV) and the M card. When I called Comcast previously, the rep told me the first box would be free, and the card would be 1.79. So I will need to call them up again and try to get that 6.99 down.

Overall, things went ok and are working fine!

Tom
grue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #6330
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Since you have digital cable on more than one outlet (TiVo on one, cable box on the other) my understanding of the Comcast rates (in my area at least) is that you should be charged the $6.99 fee. If the second outlet was analog only you wouldn't expect to see the fee.

But once you've paid the $6.99 you should not see the $1.79 CC fee unless there was a second box or cable card on one outlet.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote