TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #6211
forsakeme4all

Just out of curiousity, am I supose to be charge monthly for having cable cards or the Tivo? Because that's what Comcast is doing and I was sure if that was correct. I mean, that's kind of messed up. I already pay Tivo for monthly access.
forsakeme4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #6212
BrianM245

OK so here is my first posting on this forum!

I had to call comcast 10 times to get an appointment today. So far they have lied to me, told me appointments didn't exist, and disconnected me numerous times.

The guy finally comes out today and he has nothing I need with him. He says they sent him out to "check service".

He had two single stream card with him so he was going to put them into one of the boxes - no dice - he couldn't get either of them to work.

They say they are coming back tomorrow with 2 multistream cards. I am afraid they may never get these to work. I really want TIVO.
BrianM245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #6213
borabora

Not always bad

After about a year of no problems, on Friday HBO stopped working on my Tivo HD box. I verified that HBO still worked on the Comcast set-top box and then called Comcast service. It took about 5 minutes to get a service rep on the phone (Friday 6pm in CA bay area). He listened to my explanation of the problem and asked me to tune some other channels. Then I read to him Unit and card numbers which did not match what they had in their system. After about 10 minutes on the phone HBO was up and running again. I suspect that a local Comcast audit realized that they did not have a copy-protect flag on their HBO content and that they finally set that flag which threw off my box. (I have always been able to copy HBO content to my PC but have not yet verified that this has stopped working.) While I prefer not to have any problems, the resolution was as good as I can reasonably expect.

On a related note, I also added Comcast cable broadband about 10 days ago. It took me less that 10 minutes to get a self-install kit from the local office. Installation was a breeze and broadband started working about 1/2 hour after connecting their modem. I am now getting around 20/3 mbps and Netflix streaming works flawlessly.

Yes, I have had problems with Comcast before but my last two experiences were very good indeed.
borabora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #6214
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakeme4all View Post
Just out of curiousity, am I supose to be charge monthly for having cable cards or the Tivo? Because that's what Comcast is doing and I was sure if that was correct. I mean, that's kind of messed up. I already pay Tivo for monthly access.
Depends on your specific location. Here the first cable card in any outlet is free but there's a $1.50 fee for the second. Makes it important for them to install a single M-Card if you have an HD.

I'm hoping that the bill they gave me for January sticks - they billed me for basic plus HBO but there's no billing for digital cable.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #6215
BrianM245

OK so the tech was here - installed two cable cards and ran out the door while it still said acquiring channel information. Its been hours, it's still acquiring channel information. I'm on hold now again.
BrianM245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #6216
paNX2K&SE-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Depends on your specific location. Here the first cable card in any outlet is free but there's a $1.50 fee for the second. Makes it important for them to install a single M-Card if you have an HD.
Where in PA are you? I'm going to be adding an HD to supplement our S1 soon. I'm in the Pittsburgh area so I hope the free 1st cc applies to me too.
paNX2K&SE-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #6217
bakerja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
I just got installed from Comcast in Nashville and had a pretty good experience. I dropped AT&T DSL/phone and picked up Comcast digital starter/phone/internet. Everything works but when the installer was talking with the Comcast dispatcher, he was told that M-cards are problematic and my channels "WILL" drop after a few days. They said I should return the M-card when this happens and pick up 2 S-cards at the Comcast office.

Have any of you heard of this problem?

Thanks,
JAB

edit: this is a tivo HD DVR
Two weeks tomorrow and the M-card is still functioning. I hope I have not just jinxed myself!!
bakerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #6218
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by paNX2K&SE-R View Post
Where in PA are you?
York.

I tried to bring up the Comcast page that gives me the CC rates but I'm having connectivity problems with the Comcast website.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #6219
mr_bob_dobalena

Quote:
Two weeks tomorrow and the M-card is still functioning. I hope I have not just jinxed myself!!
I had this experience with M-Card dropping channels within 3 days of setup last week. 2 S cards fixed it. This is in Hendersonville.

Still, where did the lighter fluid come from?
mr_bob_dobalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #6220
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by paNX2K&SE-R View Post
Where in PA are you? I'm going to be adding an HD to supplement our S1 soon. I'm in the Pittsburgh area so I hope the free 1st cc applies to me too.
I'm in Pittsburgh also. First card is free, second is $1.50. If you have problems with cablecard install call local office in the evening and ask for Jay (CSR supv). He knows what he is doing and has always fixed any problems.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #6221
rwcmom

oh this sounds familiar! If you don't mind, Where are you located?
rwcmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #6222
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Got into the account info. This is the FAQ.
Quote:
If I didn't have to pay for my current CableCARD, why will I be charged for CableCARDs for my TiVo set-top box?
Comcast's pricing policy provides your first CableCARD for free. This applies to TVs and the TiVo Series 3 HD set-top box. Any additional CableCARDs that are required on the same outlet will be subject to a nominal charge. No additional cards are required for the TV so there is not a charge.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #6223
quinnmob1

Burlington County, NJ Comcast (Cinnaminson, NJ)

Dec 18 Called Comcast the week before Christmas. New construction, so it took them 4 days to verify that I actually have a house (complete a survey in their terms).

Dec 26thMy wife got me HDXL for christmas, so when the survey was complete, I requested 2 cable cards, and HD DVR, a standard HD box, and internet. The first available date was Jan 5th. I repeat myself to the point that the rep definitely thought I was crazy, "make sure you send someone who can install cablecards, and make sure the boxes have HDMI output"

Jan 5th, tech arrives at 6:20 (4-6pm window). He sets up the modem. I arrive home at this time. He has a single "HD" box. The old version, without an HDMI output. Also, the DVI port doesn't work. He is hooking up my TV with component cables. I explain that I don't want a box on this TV (this is the Tivo set), and I don't wan't any boxes that don't have HDMI output. He doesn't have any other boxes, and zero cable cards.

ordered: 2 cable cards, HD-DVR, HD box
received: a standard definition box

Complaint call, they are sending a new tech with the correct boxes and cards the next day.

Jan 6th Tech arrives at 1:45 (11-1 window). He doesn't have any boxes, and a single working cable card. I get on the phone with the tech (I was at work), he schedules the same time the next day to complete the order.

ordered: 2 cable cards, HD-DVR, HD box
received: 1 card, zero boxes

Jan 7th No show, I call comcast again. Both work orders were closed. The first guy claiming to have set up 5 outlets, the second 2 cablecards. At this point I have them mail me the boxes, and reschedule the cablecard instal for Jan 9th.

ordered: 1 cable card, HD-DVR, HD box
received: nothing

Jan 9th Tech arrives at 2:15 (window 11-1). My wife has already left. We reschedule for 11th.
ordered: 1 cable card
received: nothing

Jan 11th Tech arrives on time and successfully installs the 2nd card card.
1 cable card
COMPLTE!

Overall, I expected something like this, so it wasn't all that frustrating. Having a wife at home during the day of course makes things 100 x easier, and cut the time to success by at least 2 weeks.

Everything is great now. Except when they tried to charge me for the bogus install. It is sad. This product is so unbelievably great, but for the average person, having to deal with the comcast feet dragging would be too much to deal with. If you told me Tivo figured a way to set up the box with full functionality with a simple 2 minute phone call, I would expect sales to increase at an astonishing rate.
quinnmob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #6224
paNX2K&SE-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
I'm in Pittsburgh also. First card is free, second is $1.50. If you have problems with cablecard install call local office in the evening and ask for Jay (CSR supv). He knows what he is doing and has always fixed any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Got into the account info.
Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #6225
CraigK
(unspecified)

Went to the north Seattle Comcast office to pick up a cablecard for a newish TiVoHD. I've been running the TV on analog cable (limited+basic) for a few weeks to make sure everything was working before I moved on to digital cable w/cablecard.

The fellow at Comcast knew exactly what I wanted when I asked for an M-card. I opted to get a set-top box so we can still watch all the channels on the TV if we're recording two shows on the TiVoHD. Cost for the cablecard will be $1.79 a month. I got the impression that there would have been no monthly charge for the card if I didn't want a box.

Brought the card home, installed it per the TiVo instructions and called the Comcast number on the screen. The fellow at Comcast knew exactly what I wanted and said to wait five minutes. When I checked a few minutes later things seemed to work fine. The channels were in the right places. I ran guided setup. The TiVoHD is busy indexing the program information now.

After reading all the horror stories here, I have to say that this was a pretty painless experience. I'm glad I dealt person to person at their store. Didn't have to worry about a truck-roll, missing cards, etc.

We will see if the charges on our next bill agree with what I was told. Since analog basic cable is the same price now as digital starter the only increase should be the cablecard plus tax. A job well done all around from Comcast and TiVo from my perspective!

I asked the fellow at the Comcast store if he knew when most of their analog channels were moving to digital in the Seattle area, but he couldn't or wouldn't say. I have a S2DT that I'll have to work out the details on when that takes place.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #6226
janry

Quote:
I've been using the M-card in Nashville for several months without a problem.

Would they not let you self-install? They let me.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #6227
bakerja

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
I've been using the M-card in Nashville for several months without a problem.

Would they not let you self-install? They let me.
I was getting phone and internet installed also. I had previously no comcast service so it required a truck roll. For phone service, the line signal must be between -5 and +5 db so a tech has to be there to make sure this is possible. As it turned out,I needed a new box on the side of the house also. The tech was great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bakerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #6228
jsheir

Additional Digital Outlet Question

I recently bought a refurbished TiVo Series3. I noticed that while there is no fee for the two cable cards, a new "Additional Digital Outlet" fee showed up for $8.90.

Here is my question. It isn't worth it to me to pay almost $10 just so I can utilize two tuners on the TiVo. If I return one of the two cards, will they stop charging me that fee?
jsheir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #6229
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I think the Digital Outlet Fee is just what it sounds like - a fee for having a digital outlet. You can only avoid it by having no cable cards at that outlet.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #6230
jsheir

Additional Digital Outlet Question

Then why include the word "Additional"?
jsheir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 AM   #6231
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

You have a point. There should be no Additional Digital Outlet fee on the first outlet, although there normally is a fee for the second CC in a given outlet (but that should be on the order of a couple dollars).
Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #6232
adamwsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheir View Post
I recently bought a refurbished TiVo Series3. I noticed that while there is no fee for the two cable cards, a new "Additional Digital Outlet" fee showed up for $8.90.

Here is my question. It isn't worth it to me to pay almost $10 just so I can utilize two tuners on the TiVo. If I return one of the two cards, will they stop charging me that fee?
It has been a while since I had comcast, but I though their "additional outlet" fee was for a box on a tv. But you don't have their box. You just have their cards. I would say you should call them and review your bill with them and make sure it is all correct.
Two Tivo Series2s (One Lifetime, One Monthly)
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #6233
steveliv

i really want to get premium HD channels, but every comcast rep i speak with says that in order to get it, i have to pay an extra $6.95 per cable card. And because comcast in my area doesn't have any multi-stream cards, i have two single streams in my tivo hd, and would have to pay $13.90. anyone have any luck in persuading comcast to charge only the single $6.95 fee because, one, both cards are in one device, and two, it is because of comcast that i need two cards because they don't have any m-stream cards...
steveliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #6234
kiwiquest

I switched from Directv to Comcast with two Tivo HD's today....and everything went very well. The installer got to my home during the 2 hour window they gave me, and after installing one M-Cable card into each Tivo HD, everything is working as it should. It was quite painless, i was a bit worried with all the reports on here of nightmare scenarios.
kiwiquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #6235
PaulNEPats

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveliv View Post
i really want to get premium HD channels, but every comcast rep i speak with says that in order to get it, i have to pay an extra $6.95 per cable card. And because comcast in my area doesn't have any multi-stream cards, i have two single streams in my tivo hd, and would have to pay $13.90. anyone have any luck in persuading comcast to charge only the single $6.95 fee because, one, both cards are in one device, and two, it is because of comcast that i need two cards because they don't have any m-stream cards...

I have the same problem with you, and Comcast has never fixed it for me. I pretty much gave up after a few months of trying to get it resolved. Cable Cards are tied to billing, so even if a CSR attempts to correct the error, you'll probably find one of your Cable Cards disabled. This happened to me a few times.
PaulNEPats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #6236
jeffmc425

About 6 weeks ago, the Eastside of Seattle has a cable outage. Apparently, someone cut the fiber coming into the Eastside, so triple play was down. Since the resumuption of service, my TivoHD (with 2 Motorola single stream cards) will lock up playing HD channels. It never happened before this. Popping the cable cards and re-seating works for about 5 min. This has become increasingly annoying as when you want to record, you get 3 seconds and it stops. Sometimes, it locks the TivoHD up. FWIW, i have 2 other ATSC/QAM capable LCDs in the house running directly on cable, and i do not see any issues with pixelation, so it seems the signal is strong. Internet, VOIP all work fine, so it seems related to the cable cards and the TivoHD.

Has anybody seen this before? It was working fine before the outage, and now just sucks. Should I tell CC that two Single card Motorola cards need to be replaced with one Multistream? or is there something else I might need to do?

THanks
jeffmc425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #6237
huskerchad

I had an installer out over the weekend. He did the following.

1. Put card 1 in slot 1. Called to activate.
2. Removed card 1 from slot 1. Put card 2 in slot 1 (over my objection, because "you gotta activate them both in slot 1"). Was told by tech on phone that slot 1 was already paired.
3. Finally listened to me and put card 1 in slot 1, and card 2 in slot 2. Gave tech the info for slot 2.

I looked at the conditional access screen after he left, and card 1 showed "Unknown 00" while card 2 showed "Valid 01". So obviously his card-swapping antics left card 1 active but not paired. I don't have any premium channels right now so I can't check those, but all my other channels work.

I called comcast and after some haggling, finally got someone who was willing to take card / host id / data numbers over the phone. Now card 1 shows "Valid 03" on the conditional access screen (card 2 still shows "Valid 01").

Two quick questions.

1. Does it matter that one says "Valid 03" and the other says "Valid 01"?

2. On the pairing screen for card 1, it says that "The cablecard considers the host to have one-way RF capability". It does not say this on the pairing screen for card 2. Is this anything to worry about?
huskerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #6238
Porkbits

Hey, guys:

New to TiVo and these forums, so not sure if this is the right place for this topic. In any event, here goes my long tale of woe, and my steep and quick run up the cable learning curve....

I originally bought a refurbed TiVo HD from the TiVo site. It arrived, Comcast came out (I live in Cambridge, MA) and installed the CableCard, everything looked fine, then the TiVo started spontaneously re-booting. Called TiVo tech support, ran through a few things with no luck, so figured it was a faulty TiVo. Tech agreed, and set up an RMA (I think they should have overnighted a brand-new unit, but instead I got another refurbed box, UPS ground, and TiVo charged me a deposit--oh well).

Replacement unit arrived a few days ago. In the meantime, I made another Comcast appointment because I figured that even though I already had a CableCard, Comcast would have to re-initialize it with the replacement TiVo. That was probably a wrong assumption. In any event, the Comcast tech who came out showed up with a Comcast *cable box*, thinking he was just installing the cable box. Wow, talk about miscommunication. After clearing up the confusion, he said to just install the CableCard, and call Comcast to register it. He then left.

I attempted to do so several times with a few different Comcast CSRs, but nothing worked. I was receiving only a few HD channels, and nothing from HBO. So I figured the CableCard was bad. Comcast agreed to set up another appointment, and replace the card. Unfortunately, the quickest they could do so was a week from now. Ugh. To Comcast's credit, several tech support people actually CALLED ME BACK, even if they didn't solve the problem. I still can't believe it!

In the meantime meantime, I poked around on the Web, and read that the best thing to do in these situations is call TiVo and start a conference call with myself, Comcast, and TiVo, and get the issue resolved, as CableCards can be finicky little beasts.

The TiVo tech was helpful, and after two more spontaneous reboots of the TiVo unit, he determined that my cable signal is too high, and likely the culprit (signal is 100, with 36 dB, if that means anything to anyone), NOT the TiVo itself or the CableCard. He then got Comcast tech on the line and set up a service call in which Comcast will install an attenuator, and also a replacement CableCard (in case my current one got fried by the high signal). Luckily, Comcast is able to come out in a couple of days, instead of a week.

So here are my questions:

1. In everyone's experience, will the attenuator solve the problem? My hunch says "Not a fat chance" and "AHAHAHAHAHAHA--no." Which is too bad if that's the case, because after one more attempt, I'm going back to my Comcast DVR, which stinks, because that means Comcast wins. I just don't have the energy to fight this (pregnant wife and all that, etc).

2. I'm no electrical engineer (I don't even play one on TV), but how difficult would it be for TiVo to engineer their units to tolerate higher-strength cable signals? Seems to me this current signal intolerance (if that's what you can call it) is a huge Achilles' Heel for TiVo, and might result in the loss of a potential TiVo customer (me). Obviously, I should point the finger at Comcast, but seems like it would be nigh on possible for Comcast to fine-tune its massive network in such a manner.

But again, I have no idea, I'm just a newbie.

Thanks so much for your time!

PB
Porkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #6239
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkbits View Post
(signal is 100, with 36 dB, if that means anything to anyone)
One of the issues is that 100 is the highest displayed value for signal strength and there's no indication if the actual strength is higher than what normally registers as 100. SNR could go down if the signal starts clipping but 36 dB is a reasonable value to see.

FWIW I have 100 and 36 dB on most of my channels (TiVo HD) and really haven't had problems, at least since Comcast figured out how to configure my service for the Cable Card.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #6240
Porkbits

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of--that it's not really the cable signal, but the cable card, which isn't configured properly.

Would that cause the TiVo to keep rebooting?

Last edited by Porkbits : 02-06-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Porkbits is offline   Reply With Quote