TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #571
SueAnn
Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodshal
This was about an hour and a half ago.

How did it go? Or are you having too much fun to give us a realtime update?

Chris

The installer just left ... both the cable cards in Tivo work and the one in the tv works too ! Only took 3 calls to Comcast from the installer mainly because the first person was in training.

I'm running the guided set up right now and getting rid of the crap channels that I don't want Tivo to suggest shows for (It bugs me when I get an hour or two of The Home Shopping channel!)
SueAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #572
rodneyw1

Comcast install 9/26/06 Benicia, CA (Bay Area)

Went to local cable office. No cards there. Must be installed, tech will bring cards with him.
$21.98 install fee. No charge for cards.
Tech came and installed both cards. Just stuck them in, top slot first then immediately stuck in the bottom card. (Though TiVo says one at a time bottom slot first.) Install screens came up, he called and told them to hit both cards. Waited a couple of minutes, checked channels. Everthing working fine.
So far I love it. Everything is working. Great picture and such an easy install. I was worried with all the horror stories on here.
Received cable bill this am via email. Have charges for digital package and additional outlet. No HD fee of $5.00 on bill. Am going back to cable office this morning to schedule install of cable cards for second TiVo 3. (should arrive tomorrow from Circuit City) Will see if they will do something with additional outlet fees.
No complaints with new series3 other than poor ir remote signal.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #573
wdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bush
I was told flat out yesterday that Comcast absolutely does not support cable cards in Tivo and would not send out a tecnician to do so. When I stated that they were required by the FCC to install cards in any certified device the response was tv's only. This "superviser" was a real winner. Tim. Refused to give a last name. Only an employee number, 8598. Our discussion was a little heated and he hung up on me. I'm not sure what to do now.
George, I'm also with Comcast, Howard County, MD. My cards are installed and working great -- done Monday. Persevere with them. The guy you talked with is an idiot.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #574
sjcbulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino82
Questions for anyone with Comcast who is successfully using the S3 with 2 Motorola CableCARDs:

1) I have already run, re-run, and re-re-run the initial setup. I'm happy to do it again when things are peachy, but frankly it takes quite a bit of time, and I want to maximize the amount of time my tech visitor tomorrow spends actually *resolving* the problem.

Question: At what point is it appropriate or absolutely necessary to re-run system setup or perform a TiVo system restart?

2) There seems to be some confusion between my tech guy, dispatch, and the 800-number people about what numbers are needed for them to call in. According to the link that someone posted, the critical numbers are a) UnitAddress, b) Host, and c) Data with the Data value most often causing a screw-up.

Question: The 800-number numbnuts seemed to think that the "card #" should start with an "NG." I realize that this is the serial # located on the card itself. Is it necessary for my tech guy to pull the card and call in this serial (the NG one) to dispatch? Or is all the necessary info found on the CableCard(tm) Pairing screen?

3) At this point, my two bum cards are still sitting in my S3.

Question: Should I take them out before the techie arrives tomorrow for a fresh start on all this B.S.?

4) This is my understanding of the installation process (the way I'm envisioning it happening tomorrow, hoping, praying, etc). Please correct me if it's wrong:

- I remove the cards and have them sitting on the table waiting for the tech guy when he gets there.

- I have written down the serial numbers (NG prefix on my Motorola cards) on a notecard for easy reference.

- We go into Settings -> CableCARD -> and techie inserts card #1.

- We go to the "Network" screen and click the "hunt" button to fetch data on Card #1. We are then looking at the CableCard(tm) pairing screen. Tech man calls dispatch and gives them the serial (NG one, if necessary), UnitAddress, Host, and Data values.

- We go to the CableCard(tm) Status Menu and watch as they either perform a cable card validation (CCV) or a "cold initiate" where we should be able to watch the card downloading segments as we refresh the screen.

- We look in the Conditional Access Menu for Card #1 and should see something like Connect: yes, Auth: subscribed, CA enable: possible, Host Validation: VALID, Copy Protection Key: Enabled, etc.

- We test channels for card #1 and everything shows up perfectly.

- We repeat the process for card #2

- After all this (?) I repeat guided setup for giggles, even though my TiVo seems to already know my lineup, knows all the channels I receive, has their program info and can even tell me what's *supposed* to be on, even though the screen is grey right now (oh, and these non-existant digital channels even have a signal strength in the 90s, go figure..)

Are there any bases I'm not covering? I will seriously not allow this technician to leave my house until my S3 is operating properly. It's already ridiculous that I've had to go through this much trouble.

Thank you for any help or insight you guys can provide. It's at least nice to know that I'm not the only one having to go through this garbage.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, after my cards were installed, the pairing screen did not show any real data, nor did the conditional access screen until the CSR did an "initialize" on the cards. The installer called the CSR for the "initialize". Note that he did not call it an initialize but that is language I picked up here. Unfortunately I did not ask him what he did the first call. With the first call all he needed was the card serial # from the outside of the card. After the "initialize", I got the 161-4 error and the pairing screen as well as the conditional access screen then showed valid data. The installer then called a second time with the hostid and the serial # and attached both to my account. At that point everything worked great.

Sjcbulldog
sjcbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #575
SMB-IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyw1
Comcast install 9/26/06 Benicia, CA (Bay Area)

Went to local cable office. No cards there. Must be installed, tech will bring cards with him.
$21.98 install fee. No charge for cards.
Tech came and installed both cards. Just stuck them in, top slot first then immediately stuck in the bottom card. (Though TiVo says one at a time bottom slot first.) Install screens came up, he called and told them to hit both cards. Waited a couple of minutes, checked channels. Everthing working fine.
So far I love it. Everything is working. Great picture and such an easy install. I was worried with all the horror stories on here.
Received cable bill this am via email. Have charges for digital package and additional outlet. No HD fee of $5.00 on bill. Am going back to cable office this morning to schedule install of cable cards for second TiVo 3. (should arrive tomorrow from Circuit City) Will see if they will do something with additional outlet fees.
No complaints with new series3 other than poor ir remote signal.
My install is in about an hour and I am TERRIFIED after reading here.... I hope that my install goes as easily as yours did!

I think my plan is to just tackle the guy when he walks in and say "here's how we're going to do this...."

or not.
SMB-IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #576
rodneyw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB-IL
My install is in about an hour and I am TERRIFIED after reading here.... I hope that my install goes as easily as yours did!

I think my plan is to just tackle the guy when he walks in and say "here's how we're going to do this...."

or not.
My guy said he had installed one Series3 before "Three weeks ago." Don't know how he did that. Maybe he just said that or maybe his time-frame was just off. He was here a total of fifteen minutes or less.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #577
mintakaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Porter
Follow-up to post #474...

Tech arrived early today. The install of the second card went smooth with only the expected 161-4 glitch. Guided setup went smooth. Everything is working perfectly.

Then I abused my TiVo by making it show me DOOM. I'm so mean. ..

Brad
Thanks for reposting Brad. I'm in Boulder and although I havent bought an S3 yet, I was wondering how the local Comcast would handle things.
I must say that the customer service for the boulder comcast has really been superior over the 8 months I've had the service.
mintakaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #578
jfh3

Quote:
I was told flat out yesterday that Comcast absolutely does not support cable cards in Tivo and would not send out a tecnician to do so. When I stated that they were required by the FCC to install cards in any certified device the response was tv's only. This "superviser" was a real winner. Tim. Refused to give a last name. Only an employee number, 8598. Our discussion was a little heated and he hung up on me. I'm not sure what to do now.
Repeat your name and tell him the White House doesn't like people that refuse to comply with Federal regulations ...
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #579
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Call an executive assistant at the corporate office: 215-665-1700

They should be able to fix things.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #580
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Repeat your name and tell him the White House doesn't like people that refuse to comply with Federal regulations ...
Must...resist...urge...to...make...obvious...jokes...

Chris.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #581
wackymann

So I received my Tivo S3 last night from UPS. My Comcast appointment is next Tuesday. I have hooked up ethernet, component, and audio cables (my Samsung DLP does not have HDMI). The box is supposedly pre-authorized since I bought it directly from Tivo. Is there anything else I should do before Tuesday? I would like to be as prepared as possible come Tuesday morning, but I'm not really interested in playing around with the box just for the sake of playing.

I'm not really interested in setting the box up to record OTA or non-digital cable since I'm never going to use it that way. So at this point I am just twiddling my thumbs in great anticipation!
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #582
Scrith

The Comcast installer just left. Installation went very smoothly for four cable cards into two Series 3 TiVos here in Redwood City, CA. The whole service visit took about 45 minutes (and the first 15 minutes or so were just calling in to disable the two boxes I was returning to them, read the instructions, and make contact with the service person on the radio). Each card took about 5-6 minutes. All channels seem to be working on both cards in both TiVos, including the pay HD channels.

My one complaint is that the Test Channel screen only seems to let you advance one channel at a time, which means it takes quite a few clicks to go through the digital channels (100-399), the pay digital channels (500-599), and then the HD channels (700-799).
Scrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #583
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrith
My one complaint is that the Test Channel screen only seems to let you advance one channel at a time, which means it takes quite a few clicks to go through the digital channels (100-399), the pay digital channels (500-599), and then the HD channels (700-799).
You can enter channel numbers directly using the keypad as well.

Michael
Old 09-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #584
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Does anyone know how to get the digital SD channels to work on the S3? They work ok on my DCT-6200 cable box. I thought digital SD was working after cablecard 1 checkout but I'm getting analog SD now after card 2.

Yesterday got the cablecards installed. It was a lot less painful than I thought after reading so many horror stories. Apparently, Comcast in the S.F. Bay Area has more experience with cablecards. Even though my S3 was the first my installer had seen the only problems he had was getting through to the headend and my neigborhood network encountered a brief system wide outage. Two Motorola cabalecards, one a version 4.05 (red) and the other a 4.21 (blue).
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #585
g808

I was having the MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY problem. I had 4 truck rolls (twice they never showed) and several support calls/chats. I finally got someone on a chat to understand and she sent the proper signal to the cards. They now are "subscribed".

Unforetunately, I'm not all the way there. One card does not receive analog channels 39 - 53 (42 comes in fine). They work on card 2. I have no splitters between the cable outlet and the TiVo. Damn, so close!

FWIW to others the CSR on the chat said the following about the signal she was sending, "This process will take a while and it will remove any information you may have stored". You could tell this to CSRs you speak with, and maybe they will understand this. Other CSRs I spoke with didn't understand the "initialize" keyword.
g808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #586
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Does anyone know how to get the digital SD channels to work on the S3? They work ok on my DCT-6200 cable box. I thought digital SD was working after cablecard 1 checkout but I'm getting analog SD now after card 2.
Comcast has to tell your cable card to use the digital, not the analog. Comcast tech support denies this is at all possibe though. The way to do it is to go to your local office and ask for a DCT-700 box. That's a digital only, and when your account is marked with that, the channels switch over to digtial. You can probably not even get the box, just ask them to mark your account with the box, but that might confuse them. I got the box and took it back 2 days later after I'd got tired of VOD.

I'm surprised you're not getting digital if your other box is, I thought they enabled all the boxes (and cards) the same.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #587
bicker
Gruff

Hmm... since I have a 3412 (but getting rid of it) can I assume that my account is so-marked? Since I'm getting rid of it, can I assume that that notation will stay on my account?
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #588
as6o

I am a new Comcast customer (current DirecTV/DirectTivo customer) so on Monday the installer (subcontractor) came to drop a new line (current line is being used for Comcast Business internet), install a Moto 6412, and install two cable cards in the S3. It took a while but went very well.

First, he wanted to see if he really had to drop a new line. An installer had actually been at my house the Tues. before but because I didn't have my S3 yet he couldn't perform the install (he actually offered to do everything but the S3 but I figured I'd wait until they could do it all at once figuring as long as I was a new install they'd be quick to respond.) The first installer said I needed a separate line because my internet and my cable television would be on two separate accounts (and I'll get a better quality signal anyways.) So, I told this new installer what the other installer said and he wanted to call and check with his supervisor. The supervisor said to do whatever the customer wants. A good first impression!

When he saw that the work order mentioned something about a tivo and 2 cable cards he brought a third card just in case. He seemed to have experience with cablecards but hadn't done a Tivo yet.

Dropping the new line from the tap took a little while but since I have structured wiring and the closet isn't far from where the line comes into the house he didn't have to do much wiring inside (although he did attach new connectors to some of the cables going to and from my patch panel.)

He got the 6412 set up and then called the tech service rep to do the cable cards. After being on hold for 10 minutes the service rep came on and after being told what was going to be tried immediately doubted if it would work (she actually said that it wouldn't work.) Since the installer was going to try and do everything I asked for they both went ahead with the installation (the installer kept asking the service rep what the steps were and the service rep kept saying she had no idea.) Anyways, he glanced at the Tivo supplied instruction, slammed the two cards in, fiddled with the menus (with my help), ignored the errors, found the numbers he needed (host and data) and told them to the service rep (had to repeat them a few times.) After a few minutes everything was working.

I got the impression from the service rep that this was different and therefore a little annoying but she did what she usually does to activate cable cards and it worked as expected (there wasn't a lot of "let me try this", "didn't work", "ok, let me try this")

We have been happily watching Comcast on the S3 ever since (even the analog channels look good) and will probably disconnect our DirecTiVos this weekend. For what it's worth the installer thought the S3 physically looked cool (he liked the enamel finish.)

BTW, the 6412 sucks. The interface and remote are god awful (embarrassingly bad IMHO, TV-service-menu-bad.) I got it as a stop-gap (can't afford two S3s) expecting I'd be able to try the TiVo version of the software when Comcast releases it.

-Aaron
as6o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #589
shady
We have chickens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann
So I received my Tivo S3 last night from UPS. My Comcast appointment is next Tuesday. I have hooked up ethernet, component, and audio cables (my Samsung DLP does not have HDMI). The box is supposedly pre-authorized since I bought it directly from Tivo. Is there anything else I should do before Tuesday? I would like to be as prepared as possible come Tuesday morning, but I'm not really interested in playing around with the box just for the sake of playing.

I'm not really interested in setting the box up to record OTA or non-digital cable since I'm never going to use it that way. So at this point I am just twiddling my thumbs in great anticipation!
Maybe a silly question, but have you turned it on? (you mentioned "supposedly pre-authorized" which is why I ask). If not, then you should do that, and connect to the TiVo service to automatically get the updated software. It won't hurt to pull in the analog channels as well, then at least it proves you have a cable connection.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #590
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady
Maybe a silly question, but have you turned it on? (you mentioned "supposedly pre-authorized" which is why I ask). If not, then you should do that, and connect to the TiVo service to automatically get the updated software. It won't hurt to pull in the analog channels as well, then at least it proves you have a cable connection.
Actually no, I have not turned it on yet, but I did plan on doing that this evening. I didn't open the package until late last night, so all I did was wire things up and go to bed. I also plan on rerouting some of the coax in my house this weekend to make sure my signal levels are solid.

Thank you for the recommendation - I was unaware of the software update issue. I'll make sure that all happens before the cable guy arrives. It will be a good test of my new ethernet drop too (although I already tested that with my laptop, so it should be good to go).
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #591
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Hmm... since I have a 3412 (but getting rid of it) can I assume that my account is so-marked? Since I'm getting rid of it, can I assume that that notation will stay on my account?
If that's one of the digital only boxes its should be. I'm still getting digital after giving back the 700. It seems to stick and this is what others have reported. Comcast's long term plan is to go all digital, so they shouldn't want to switch you back.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #592
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Comcast has to tell your cable card to use the digital, not the analog. Comcast tech support denies this is at all possibe though. The way to do it is to go to your local office and ask for a DCT-700 box. That's a digital only, and when your account is marked with that, the channels switch over to digtial. You can probably not even get the box, just ask them to mark your account with the box, but that might confuse them. I got the box and took it back 2 days later after I'd got tired of VOD.

I'm surprised you're not getting digital if your other box is, I thought they enabled all the boxes (and cards) the same.
I thought the cablecards would use all the digital channels and not the analog at all because my account is authorized for ADS. Last week, before I got the cablecards, I went to my local Comcast office and asked to have my cable box set up for all digital. I did not need to get an all-digital box, the lady sent a code and when I got home the box was using all digital. Maybe I'll call and ask to have the cards re-hit to see if that will work.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 09-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #593
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
my account is authorized for ADS.
Are you sure its analog not digital? How are you telling? The easiest way I find is to ask for a recording on the channel. If it offers recording quality options its analog.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #594
kluskey

Bad vs. Good Comcast CableCARDs

First time contactor put in cards he had no clue. They were not activated and despite numerous calls to Comcast and attempts to activate, I never got them to work. When I tried to tell them about the Host and Data IDs the CSRs did not have any idea what I was talking about and said there was no place for them to enter that info.

Second time a real Comcast installer came out. We tried to activate the first cards again but with no success. He plugged in a new card that he brought, gave the serial number to the office and it worked great. No need to provide any other info other than the serial number. Same thing with the other card. He said he liked the cards with the red Comcast label on them rather than the first cards I had, Motorola cards with a blue label.
kluskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #595
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluskey
He said he liked the cards with the red Comcast label on them rather than the first cards I had, Motorola cards with a blue label.
I thought the blue ones have more recent firmware and less problems.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #596
bxwatso

Comcast charges extra $12/mo for Tivo

Comcast in Denver is charging me an extra $11.95 per month ($5 extra for an extra HDTV location and $6.95 extra for the rental of a second CableCard) versus the cost of using their proprietary 2 tuner DVR. Here is the letter I wrote the FCC today (same letter to Denver City regulators):

Dear Sirs:

I am writing to inquire as to the appropriateness of my Cable TV provider (Comcast, Denver, CO, (303) 930-2000) charging me extra to use Cable Cards vs. their technology. I have contacted Comcast three times and they alternately do not understand my issue, refuse to address it, disconnect my service, or actually raise my monthly fee as a response to my concerns.

In my home, I have one TV, hence only a single viewing location. I have a Tivo Series 3 DVR (Cablelabs approved as TCD648250A), which allows for the recording of 2 programs at once. In order to record 2 programs at once, the device requires 2 Cable Cards. As a result of this configuration, Comcast is billing me for 2 instances of HDTV service ($10) plus the rental of an extra Cable Card ($6.95), for a total fee of $16.95 per month to enjoy HDTV and a dual tuner DVR or my choosing.

On the other hand, Comcast offers its own DVR that can record 2 programs at once. Using their device, the HDTV fee is only $5 per month to record 2 shows at once with no Cable Card rental (a total fee of $5 per month for the equivalent service). I submit that Comcast is pricing the Cable Card two tuner solution at a discriminatory price compared to their proprietary DVR. While I have not thoroughly studied the FCC rules regarding Cable Cards, I think that the intent of the law and rules is to allow consumers to choose their own CPE. Comcast is penalizing me for making such a choice.

I think that Comcast has confused a dual tuner Cable Card solution with two separate viewing locations. Furthermore, I think that Comcast’s pricing of $6.95 per month to rent a Cable Card is a discriminatory price well in excess of the economic cost to procure, deliver, and maintain such equipment. Despite my conversations with Comcast, they are resolute that I should pay an extra $11.95 per month for having chosen to use my own equipment compared to using their proprietary equipment. I respectfully request that the FCC review the appropriateness of Comcast's pricing policies.
bxwatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #597
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Are you sure its analog not digital? How are you telling? The easiest way I find is to ask for a recording on the channel. If it offers recording quality options its analog.
Yes, that's how I know it's analog.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 09-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #598
edbern

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluskey
...(the installer) plugged in a new card that he brought, gave the serial number to the office and it worked great. No need to provide any other info other than the serial number. Same thing with the other card....
This is exactly my experience. After two service calls and multiple cards...

When we finally got two cards that worked, all it took was a phone call to Comcast dispatcher with the serial numbers from the back of the physical cards.

We didn't give them anything else -- no host data, no IDs, just the serial numbers, and everything worked 5 mins later. But it took two visits and four cards to get two that worked.
edbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #599
shady
We have chickens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxwatso
Comcast in Denver is charging me an extra $11.95 per month ($5 extra for an extra HDTV location and $6.95 extra for the rental of a second CableCard) versus the cost of using their proprietary 2 tuner DVR. Here is the letter I wrote the FCC today (same letter to Denver City regulators):

Dear Sirs:

<snip>
You should get an award for the best first post

Nice letter. Let us know if you get a reply
Old 09-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #600
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady
You should get an award for the best first post

Nice letter. Let us know if you get a reply
Indeed. Outstanding letter!
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote