TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #511
fsponge

Quote:
UPDATE--
So I called back a second time, while legally recording the call and was told specifically that Comcast Fort Myers, FL will not support any non-tv device including Tivo's. They will not troubleshoot it over the phone and the will charge me to send out a tech. I tried not mentioning that it was a Tivo on the second call, but the first person I talked to has noted my account with a message not to help. I was told that I was not allowed to talk to a supervisor and that they were refusing to talk to me further, at which point they said they were terminating the call.
Isn't it sad that Comcast has to be so incompetent? I wish there were something I could do to help you.
fsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #512
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfson
The guy came out and got both cards installed pretty fast. It appeared both were working, but it only one actually works. I did not realize this till after I had repeated the guided setup and went to record one show, and watch another. I called Comcast and got the Fort Myers, FL office. The rep I spoke with (Erica 2070) said under no circuimstances would they support a tivo, and they would have to bill me for a service call to come make it work. I explained to her that it was on the authorized list and she refused to be of assistance. I asked for a supervisor and she refused that as well. I asked her to verify the hostid, and the other numbers which she also said she could not do. Does anyone know of a comcast office that is helpfull in these matters?

UPDATE--
So I called back a second time, while legally recording the call and was told specifically that Comcast Fort Myers, FL will not support any non-tv device including Tivo's. They will not troubleshoot it over the phone and the will charge me to send out a tech. I tried not mentioning that it was a Tivo on the second call, but the first person I talked to has noted my account with a message not to help. I was told that I was not allowed to talk to a supervisor and that they were refusing to talk to me further, at which point they said they were terminating the call.
Call their corporate office in Philadelphia 215-665-1700. Ask for one of their excecutive assistants and explain the problem. (Thanks to geekmedic for this number!)

EDIT: This is a Comcast phone number.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.

Last edited by Gregor : 09-26-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #513
wolfson

Tivo or Comcast

Is that a corporate number for Tivo or for Comcast?
wolfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #514
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfson
Is that a corporate number for Tivo or for Comcast?
A quick google says it's comcast.

Chris.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:21 AM   #515
mweppner

Update on my dealings with Comcast (Manassas Park, VA):

I stopped by the local center yesterday. I asked them how much for cable cards, they gave me two or three answers (two of them discussing) and ended up on $5 per card per month. I then asked if I could install myself, and they said I had to schedule an install. I mentioned Tivo S3 and they seemed to just nod and say OK. Not sure if that meant they were cool with it, or if it meant they hadn't seen the S3 before? Anyway, they were helpful and made me feel that it was do-able.

Now, I just have to decide when to make my purchase! Part of me is leaning to NOW. And part is leaning towards making it a Christmas gift to myself, and that will *hopefully* be after the eSATA is activated...
mweppner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #516
jjarmoc

I had two cards installed yesterday - in the chicago Suburbs. So far, one of them is working flawlessly.. and the other, well, it has some trouble.

- The card that is working does so in either slot.
- The card that's having issues has the same trouble in either slot.
- Slot 2 never tunes channel 2 regardless of which card is in use, and Slot 1 always tunes channel 2. This isn't a huge problem as I'm going to remove two from my channel guide anyhow, and use 189 (the digital feed of 2)

- The problem with the trouble card is that HBO doesnt' come in. Sometimes when tuning to that channel I'll see HBO for a split second and then it goes away. Also, occasionally when attempting to tune HBO, the entire Tivo box reboots. As stated above this problem follows this particular card to either tuner/slot.

Both cards are Motorola but the failing card is version 03.34 whereas the working card is version 04.05. Could this be the source of the problem?

Has anyone seen similar problems, or had issues with two cards of different versions, or maybe with the 3.34 Motorla cards specifically?

I'm going to open a ticket with Tivo as well, but thought I'd post here as well. I'll update you all when I get this fixd in case others have similar problems.
jjarmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #517
joegarrett
FiOS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarmoc
Both cards are Motorola but the failing card is version 03.34 whereas the working card is version 04.05. Could this be the source of the problem?
Please see here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...13#post4421113
joegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 AM   #518
jjarmoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegarrett
Just found that thread after posting here. Thanks Joe!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #519
gayste
Love TiVo!

Alexandria, VA

Need any information you can provide.

After the initial "we will NOT install cards into TiVo," I finally got a tech to come out and install them. He genuinely wanted to get them to work, so we played with it, got them installed and he called to have them activated. He left WITHOUT all the channels being displayed (a very random set of channels do not come in: some HD, some premium, some basic). I Have been trying to have the cards re-provisioned ever since. They will NOT do this over the phone (said they cannot) so a guy comes out this afternoon.

My question is this; if the cards have been been "authorized" (as the status screen suggest,) but I am not getting any emm's, will we have to go through the whole installation procedure again, or can I just try explaining to the cable guy that all they need to do is try re-provisioning with all of the numbers (Host ID and CC ID)?

I have read these two web sites and they seem to suggest that the cable company needs to do some things on their end.

Specific TiVo CableCard install instructions:
http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/#ccconfig

Generic CableCard discussion:
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/176786.html

(I'm a bit nervous about this SDV (switched digital video) stuff, could I be one of the unlucky ones that are in a SDV city and, from what I read, the cable cards will not work with this setup?)

Thanks for any info!
Series3 Lifetime (broken)
Pioneer 810H Series2 (retired)
Series2 (retired)
gayste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #520
bwherry

Did the tech check to make sure there were no traps on your line? Mine decided to do that and found 3 traps that would have blocked a number of SD and HD channels.
bwherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #521
gregkeene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayste
Alexandria, VA

Need any information you can provide.

After the initial "we will NOT install cards into TiVo," I finally got a tech to come out and install them. He genuinely wanted to get them to work, so we played with it, got them installed and he called to have them activated. He left WITHOUT all the channels being displayed (a very random set of channels do not come in: some HD, some premium, some basic). I Have been trying to have the cards re-provisioned ever since. They will NOT do this over the phone (said they cannot) so a guy comes out this afternoon.
Specifically, what are your values for:

* Encryption:
* Connect: , EnabledByCP:
* Auth:
* CA enable:
* Host Validation:
* Copy Protection Key:

Also, which types of channels are you able to get and having trouble with.

HD Broadcast (e.g. NBC, CBS):
HD Expanded (e.g. ESPN HD, Discovery HD):
HD Premium (e.g. HBO HD, SHO HD):
SD Broadcast (e.g. NBC, CBS):
SD Expanded (e.g. Comedy Central):
SD Premium (e.g. HBO, SHO):

Might help fill in some blanks.

Greg
gregkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #522
gayste
Love TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwherry
Did the tech check to make sure there were no traps on your line? Mine decided to do that and found 3 traps that would have blocked a number of SD and HD channels.
Cool, I'll have him check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkeene
Specifically, what are your values for:
I'm at work and can't get the exact info, but here is some info from memory:

- CP Authorized on both cards
- No ECMs (or somthing like that) on one card and on the other card this says "OK"
- No EMMs recived on both cards

I can get more info when i get home to meet the cable guy.
Series2 (retired)
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #523
wbswbs

Got it working. Thanks. Had to turn on sharing within iTunes and iPhoto themselves (duh...). Also, had to enable a port in the firewall to permit iPhoto through. No worries, all fixed. Works nicely, in fact. I have tons of music and tons of pictures (12K+), and I experienced next to no lag in access playlists and photo albums.
wbswbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #524
kas25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbswbs
Got it working. Thanks. Had to turn on sharing within iTunes and iPhoto themselves (duh...). Also, had to enable a port in the firewall to permit iPhoto through. No worries, all fixed. Works nicely, in fact. I have tons of music and tons of pictures (12K+), and I experienced next to no lag in access playlists and photo albums.
I'm curiuos to know how this works. I'm considering switching from Directv to Comcast S3 as I would love to replace my Pinnacle media player which i use to stream pictures and photos from my computer. It sounds like you are saying the S3 will do this. Does album art show up when music is played? Can you search for an album or song while another song is currently being played? Thanks for any input you can provide. I assume it doesn't do movies?
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #525
Woodstock2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25
I'm curiuos to know how this works. I'm considering switching from Directv to Comcast S3 as I would love to replace my Pinnacle media player which i use to stream pictures and photos from my computer. It sounds like you are saying the S3 will do this. Does album art show up when music is played? Can you search for an album or song while another song is currently being played? Thanks for any input you can provide. I assume it doesn't do movies?
And, does it work with apple-format (both protected and not) songs under itunes on an WinXP system?
Woodstock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #526
DocSavag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock2
And, does it work with apple-format (both protected and not) songs under itunes on an WinXP system?
As far as I know it won't play the Apple format.
DocSavag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #527
ebh

Up and Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebh
It is fairly obvious that Comcast pricing and policy is different in various parts of the country and may even differ within one state. Here's my S3 install experience, so far: My install was scheduled for Sunday morning. Lesson One - Never schedule an install on a Sunday. The installer had never seen a S3, was not an experienced Cablecard installer and there was no one at the head end who could help. Adding to the fun was a language barrier between the installer and the head end. We ended up putting one Cablecard in the TV just to prove that the card was good (it was.) The installer promised to come back first thing next morning to finish the install. He never showed up.

In the ensuing conversation with Comcast I was told that the S3 could not be set up because their computer system could not accept multiple cablecards on one outlet. And that they had a few S3 purchasers who were having the same problem as I am having.

I called TiVo and they said that they had not gotten any information from Comcast regarding that.

I am now scheduled for a "repair" tomorrow afternoon. The technician is bringing an additional cable card - I have one installed in the TV, the other in the S3 but not initialized.

My sense is that I have to ask the technician to install each card on a separate outlet and ignore the fact that it is one box. Agree? Disagree? Suggestions?
Now I have scheduled a "repair" for tomorrow afternoon to try again to get the S3 configured and working.
Today's experience was as good as the first one was bad. Prior to my appointment I got a call from the Tech Supervisor (unsolicited) and explained to him that he had to use two outlets for the S3. The tech who showed up was a foreman and had listened in on the conversation with the supervisor. Both cards in and working in about ten minutes. Tech had to call back in to get premium channels working properly.

DO NOT LET COMCAST TELL YOU THAT THE Series 3 IS NOT SUPPORTED, OR THAT THEIR SYSTEM DOESN'T HANDLE TWO CARDS.
EXPLAIN TO THEM (IF NECESSARY) THAT THEY MUST USE TWO OUTLETS EVEN THOUGH IT IS ONE BOX.
ebh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #528
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Had an interesting thing happen last night...

I was watching a recording of South Park (yes, I'm a fan). During the last 5 minutes of the show, it recorded a CableCARD diagnostic menu that stated that my card wasn't activated. When I switched to Live TV (on both tuners), everything seemed to be working fine.

I looked at the diagnostic menus for each of the CableCARDs. I have Scientific American CableCARDs installed. If I'm not mistaken, I *think* the old OS version was from 2005. Now it seems to be reading OS versions from May 2006.

Does anyone know what date the most recent firmware update for Scientific American CableCARDs is from? I'm curious if I got a firmware update last night, or if this is a problem with a CableCARD that might be ready to show its ugly head?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #529
Pab Sungenis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
Call their corporate office in Philadelphia 215-665-1700.
Forget that. Call 1-888-225-5322, the main number for the FCC first. Ask about all the forms you need and have them sent to you.

THEN call 215-665-1700 and let them know the next stop is the post office to file the official complaint.
Pab Sungenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #530
gayste
Love TiVo!

More info:
I don't see the exact info requested by gregkeene
Here's what i do see:
- Auth Status: CP Auth Received (both cards)
- Prog number: 304 (cc1), 5 (cc2)
- CCI byte: 0x00 (both cards)
- ECM count: 0 (both cards)
- EMM count: 0 (both cards)
- Decryption status: OK (cc1), No ECMs detected (cc2)
- Powerkey status: Not Ready - Waiting for EMMs (both cards)
- EID: 0xffffff (cc1), 0x0 (cc2)
- MKS period: 100 seconds (both cards)
- KSE count: 0 (both cards)

HD Broadcast (e.g. NBC, CBS): yes
HD Expanded (e.g. ESPN HD, Discovery HD): Dont think i get ANY of these
HD Premium (e.g. HBO HD, SHO HD): no
SD Broadcast (e.g. NBC, CBS): yes
SD Expanded (e.g. Comedy Central): spike - yes, bravo - yes, discovery - yes, hgtv - no, comedy - yes, etv - no (seems to be very eratic but i am also not sure what is "expanded")
SD Premium (e.g. HBO, SHO): no

Again, thanks for any information!
Series2 (retired)
Old 09-27-2006, 03:36 PM   #531
jjarmoc

gayste -
Just out of curiousity, what manufacturer and version is your CC?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #532
gayste
Love TiVo!

scientific atlanta
Series2 (retired)
Old 09-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #533
robus

Quote:

HD Broadcast (e.g. NBC, CBS): yes
HD Expanded (e.g. ESPN HD, Discovery HD): Dont think i get ANY of these
HD Premium (e.g. HBO HD, SHO HD): no
SD Broadcast (e.g. NBC, CBS): yes
SD Expanded (e.g. Comedy Central): spike - yes, bravo - yes, discovery - yes, hgtv - no, comedy - yes, etv - no (seems to be very eratic but i am also not sure what is "expanded")
SD Premium (e.g. HBO, SHO): no

Again, thanks for any information!
This sounds exactly like the problem I had with the second cablecard. And it boiled down to them not properly configuring the card for the digital package. The hardware side was all fine - it was purely an account set up issue.

Robert.
robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #534
gregkeene

gayste:

I'm not as familiar with the SA cards as Motorola. While it could be a package setup issue on your account or card, it's sounds more like you're one or both of your cards isn't establishing encryption correctly. It's likely to do with one of the values (especially the DATA value) not being entered correctly at the home office end. Of course there are many factors, but making sure they double check that could be worth it.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gregkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #535
gayste
Love TiVo!

There done! The cable guy just left. The cards are working! Try to get a "real" Comcast installer (not a contractor) they know who to talk to. They just needed to talk to the right people/department at the office to set it up.
Series2 (retired)
Old 09-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #536
joanmaries

Does anybody have any experience with getting cablecards from Comcast in Monmouth County, NJ? I am considering getting the S3 - I really want it but the BF keeps logically pointing out that there's another $1k we won't be saving towards buying a house - but he's weakening a bit!! I think I can work on him for this. I could just do it because it's my money but that would cause more friction and problems than it is worth.

Anyway, back to the point - I was wondering how easy/hard it was to deal with Comcast in our area. The cable is in the BF's name but he definitely will not be able to talk to the comcast people if they try to pull anything or give him any problems - I'll have to talk to them. He's too nice and sometimes lets people push him around - they give me problems and they will have the fury of a woman denied Tivo on their backs.........
joanmaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #537
Gregor

Quote:
There done! The cable guy just left. The cards are working! Try to get a "real" Comcast installer (not a contractor) they know who to talk to. They just needed to talk to the right people/department at the office to set it up.
Glad to see it worked out. Comcast *does* support these puppies, even if they don't know that they do.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #538
sjcbulldog

My comcast guy just left. He commented that he had never seen the Tivo with cable cards before. However, he just installed the first card, called in the card id # and the CSR sent an initialize to the card. After the initialize, the comcast installer checked to be sure I was receiving one of the unencrypted channels. After this was confirmed, he called back to the CSR and gave them the host id and the card id and had them paired and attached to my account. I used test channels to tune into HBO HD. After about five minutes HBOHD was working. We repeated this with the second cable card and about twenty-five minutes after he arrived he was done and everything was working. He stuck around til I finished the guided setup and made sure everything was still working across both tuners. It was as smooth as I could have expected.

Just my $0.02 worth
sjcbulldog
sjcbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:30 PM   #539
jjarmoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcbulldog
My comcast guy just left. He commented that he had never seen the Tivo with cable cards before. However, he just installed the first card, called in the card id # and the CSR sent an initialize to the card. After the initialize, the comcast installer checked to be sure I was receiving one of the unencrypted channels. After this was confirmed, he called back to the CSR and gave them the host id and the card id and had them paired and attached to my account. I used test channels to tune into HBO HD. After about five minutes HBOHD was working. We repeated this with the second cable card and about twenty-five minutes after he arrived he was done and everything was working. He stuck around til I finished the guided setup and made sure everything was still working across both tuners. It was as smooth as I could have expected.

Just my $0.02 worth
sjcbulldog
SJC - would you mind checking the manufacturer/version of your cards? I have a hunch that certain versions may not be working well, but I don't have enough data to conclude that one way or the other..
Old 09-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #540
sjcbulldog

My cards are made by Motorola and are version 4.21.

Sjcbulldog
sjcbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote