TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #4741
KraziJoe
What? Me Worry?
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 69
Called to get a CC install from Comcast of Arlington/Alexandria Virginia and was informed, like a few here, that there are no CC's in our area and that they are waiting for Cards to arrive.
I called BS and am awaiting a call from a Manager, that I don't expect to get.
KraziJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #4742
mrlogical
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraziJoe View Post
Called to get a CC install from Comcast of Arlington/Alexandria Virginia and was informed, like a few here, that there are no CC's in our area and that they are waiting for Cards to arrive.
I called BS and am awaiting a call from a Manager, that I don't expect to get.
Well that's distressing, as I am in the Arlington VA area and am currently waiting for my noon-3pm appointment, but hopefully they will show up with cablecards that work on try #4. Otherwise I'll have to be on the phone asking for managers and stuff. Gah. Hopefully the person who told you that didn't know what s/he was talking about (which, given that this is comcast, is almost 100% certain, though the same can be said of the people who told me I'd be getting cablecards today).
mrlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #4743
KraziJoe
What? Me Worry?
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlogical View Post
Well that's distressing, as I am in the Arlington VA area and am currently waiting for my noon-3pm appointment, but hopefully they will show up with cablecards that work on try #4. Otherwise I'll have to be on the phone asking for managers and stuff. Gah. Hopefully the person who told you that didn't know what s/he was talking about (which, given that this is comcast, is almost 100% certain, though the same can be said of the people who told me I'd be getting cablecards today).
Keep the thread updated with your case because if they show up with Cards then I am going to be ripping into someone...

Also, are you a new customer or existing?
KraziJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #4744
mrlogical
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Existing customer. 4:30 and still no sign of them. Called Comcast and they said I'm still scheduled for today so someone is supposed to be here eventually. Getting ready to call and yell at them and stuff, gonna give it another half hour or so because I'd really rather not have to do that.
mrlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #4745
jlb
NCC-1701-D
 
jlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 7,241
Ok......Phew.......Taking deep breath........

I am working. But it took effort to get there.

Had appointment for 11-1 today.

At 12:55, I called Comcast and complained that the tech hadn't shown up yet. They apologized, credited my account $20 for my troubles (well, the troubles were to come), and said give it another 15 minutes and then call us back.

I waited 15 minutes, called, was on hold for about 20 minutes before someone picked up. Finally got someone. They put in a ticket and said that the field supervisor would call me back within 30 minutes.

45 minutes later I called, waited on hold for 15, and then got someone. They said to wait for the supervisor to call back. I said I waited already......

YADA YADA YADA.

I got a woman who said she would personally call me back in 30 minutes, even if the account shows the Field Super did call back.

45 minutes later with no one calling, I called back again.

I discussed the possibility of cancelling the appt as my wife and I wanted to do some errands up in York Maine. What I did, was to tell the woman to have all calls come to my cell. I figured it would be better to let them call me on my cell and THEN I would cancel.

So we got in the car and my wife (who was a little pissed at this point since she wanted to get going) said, jokingly, if we drive by a Comcast truck do you want me to stop. I said yes.

Well, we go up our street, turn, and lo and behold, there's the truck as he is getting ready to leave another job. We stop the car, I walk over, and confirm this was the guy for our job.

My wife said that she would wait for about 20 minutes but then had to go. Deep inside, I knew that wouldn't be enough.

Guy comes in, and, on one small bright side, has a glorious pink Motorola M card. At least I can tell my wife we will have no increased monthly fees. Anyways, we had all kinds of troubles getting the card to work. I was stressed as it was, and my wife and daughter left to do the errands.

We got the card working. The guy left my house at about 4:15, after an original 11-1 appt.

Anyways, it looks like I may be mapped to the digital SD, though not sure yet. I'll have to check later.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo, a lot of pain and stress getting here, but the card is working. It's an M card. And the $20 credit "for my troubles" will cover the truck roll fee of $17.95 plus a bit of my next monthly.

One weird item, that I have a question regarding.......I previously, in addition to my lifeline basic package, got CMT. This was the channel TiVo, I think, uses for star data, or the other non-guide data connections, or whatever it is called.

With the CC in, I no longer receive that. When I reran guided setup, it asked about another channel, which I told it I did not get, it then asked if I get any premium channels, which I said no to. Then it continued and completed GS. Does it use another channel. If not, do I care?

__________________
1 TiVoHD with Motorola M Cable Card and a 2TB Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS Drive.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #4746
mrlogical
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
So, to briefly recap above in the thread, today was my 4th appointment for a cablecard (first 2 canceled that morning, 3rd the guy showed up 3 hours late and said the cards were broken and that future cards might be too). My appointment was set for 12p-3p. at 3:30 I called to see if they were still coming. Guy on the phone tells me they're probably just late, I should call back if they don't show up. Since I really do want them to come and they were three hours late last time, I gave them til 6 before calling again. I tell Denise about my appointment and says "Oh, we don't have any cablecards, I wish someone had told you." I replied that I would've appreciated that information 6 hours ago, and that I would like to speak to a supervisor. Denise gets Tony (a woman) on the line, who apologizes. I then explain the whole situation to her--2 missed appointments, 1 late with broken equipment, the story about other equipment being broken, the fact that I was told multiple times on the phone that I could pick up cablecards so I skipped a morning of work to pick one up, only to find that I'd been misinformed.

Tony said that was unacceptable, offered me $15 for my troubles in going to get the cards on their bad information, $20 per appointment that Comcast messed up, and a credit of around $40 for my lack of HD/digital channels/HBO (since I'm now just using the Tivo sans cablecards rather than use their ****** dvr). She then scheduled an appointment for me for next Saturday morning 9-12, and instructed Denise to call me on Thursday night to confirm that they would have cablecards for me.

Instead of getting the $130 or so I'll be getting out of this, I would much rather just have gotten my cablecards, but I'm not sure what else I could really ask for (aside from competently trained and knowledgeable customer service report at some point on one of my previous 20 or so calls, of course).

Oh, and I almost forgot--when I told Tony the story of the technician explaining to me that many of the cablecards are broken, but that they are simply returned to the pile without being labeled as such, she told me that that was in fact true--which I had actually doubted, I figured the tech was just making excuses for himself, because that is so stupid that it's hard to believe--but it is Comcast, after all. But anyway, Tony said that was true, but that Comcast had stopped that from happening now and that it will not be a problem in the future.
mrlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #4747
Gregor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Ok......Phew.......Taking deep breath........

I am working. But it took effort to get there.

Had appointment for 11-1 today.

At 12:55, I called Comcast and complained that the tech hadn't shown up yet. They apologized, credited my account $20 for my troubles (well, the troubles were to come), and said give it another 15 minutes and then call us back.

I waited 15 minutes, called, was on hold for about 20 minutes before someone picked up. Finally got someone. They put in a ticket and said that the field supervisor would call me back within 30 minutes.

45 minutes later I called, waited on hold for 15, and then got someone. They said to wait for the supervisor to call back. I said I waited already......

YADA YADA YADA.

I got a woman who said she would personally call me back in 30 minutes, even if the account shows the Field Super did call back.

45 minutes later with no one calling, I called back again.

I discussed the possibility of cancelling the appt as my wife and I wanted to do some errands up in York Maine. What I did, was to tell the woman to have all calls come to my cell. I figured it would be better to let them call me on my cell and THEN I would cancel.

So we got in the car and my wife (who was a little pissed at this point since she wanted to get going) said, jokingly, if we drive by a Comcast truck do you want me to stop. I said yes.

Well, we go up our street, turn, and lo and behold, there's the truck as he is getting ready to leave another job. We stop the car, I walk over, and confirm this was the guy for our job.

My wife said that she would wait for about 20 minutes but then had to go. Deep inside, I knew that wouldn't be enough.

Guy comes in, and, on one small bright side, has a glorious pink Motorola M card. At least I can tell my wife we will have no increased monthly fees. Anyways, we had all kinds of troubles getting the card to work. I was stressed as it was, and my wife and daughter left to do the errands.

We got the card working. The guy left my house at about 4:15, after an original 11-1 appt.

Anyways, it looks like I may be mapped to the digital SD, though not sure yet. I'll have to check later.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo, a lot of pain and stress getting here, but the card is working. It's an M card. And the $20 credit "for my troubles" will cover the truck roll fee of $17.95 plus a bit of my next monthly.

One weird item, that I have a question regarding.......I previously, in addition to my lifeline basic package, got CMT. This was the channel TiVo, I think, uses for star data, or the other non-guide data connections, or whatever it is called.

With the CC in, I no longer receive that. When I reran guided setup, it asked about another channel, which I told it I did not get, it then asked if I get any premium channels, which I said no to. Then it continued and completed GS. Does it use another channel. If not, do I care?
With cable cards, you get exactly what you're paying for. Sometimes there are channels in the clear that you can get without cards, but they usually disappear when the cards are used.
__________________
Wii: 5166-1365-9840-0899

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #4748
jlb
NCC-1701-D
 
jlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 7,241
I'm not upset or anything, I just was wondering if it was CMT TiVo was using for the data downloads, will it have something else. Again, no biggie at all. I am just very happy to have a working M card.
__________________
1 TiVoHD with Motorola M Cable Card and a 2TB Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS Drive.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #4749
drcos
HD where available
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Venice FL
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateknight View Post
By this, do you mean just pull out the card while the TiVo is on and reinsert?
Actually, yes. This is quicker than re-starting your unit, and will tell you that the card is properly provisioned on the cable system. The card should come back on within 15-30 seconds after you re-insert it.
__________________
Hey, if I had some place to go I certainly wouldn't be in 'Cleve-Land'.
drcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #4750
ronr2006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond CA 94804
Posts: 64
I want Comcast On Demand and my S3... !

Why can't I just use my current S3 dual CC setup and get a Comcast Digital box working off of a splitter and then be able to get On Demand?

I talked to Comcast CS and she said it wasn't an option. Why not... ?

RonR
ronr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #4751
Gregor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
Comcast CC install Rule #1: NEVER NEVER NEVER let the tech leave until ALL your channels you are supposed to get are working on BOTH TUNERS. Once they are working, pull the card(s) and re-insert them to make sure they will restart properly. Then you can unchain the tech.

Rule #2: See rule #1.

On an interesting side note, the newer software does re-start the CCs if there is a problem, rather than just leaving them sitting there with a 'CP Auth failed' and not working. Although I'm sure that kind of thing doesn't happen to anyone else
If you pull the cards and re-insert them while the Tivo is powered up, it will change the 'data' value on the cards, which might screw up the provisioning that was done. Much safer to restart the Tivo.
__________________
Wii: 5166-1365-9840-0899

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #4752
c3
TiVoholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronr2006 View Post
Why can't I just use my current S3 dual CC setup and get a Comcast Digital box working off of a splitter and then be able to get On Demand?

I talked to Comcast CS and she said it wasn't an option. Why not... ?

RonR
You can, but you have to pay for the Comcast box as an additional digital outlet.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Plus (10/18/2013): WD30EURS
5 TiVo HDs: WD10EACS, WD1000FYPS, WD10EACS, WD5000ABYS, WD10EADS
Addicted to TiVo since 9/16/2000, all lifetime subs
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #4753
raveheart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Comcast Cablecard Saga

It has taken me a couple months to sit down and write about my excrutiating experience with Comcast....hopefully this will help someone else out there.

I live in Baltimore. Back in October I called Comcast for a Cablecard for my TivoHD box. The rep informed me I could pick it up at the local office. I drive out there Saturday, and am told they have to be installed. For my wasted time, they waive the installation fee. When the installer comes out the next week, he is there 2 hours trying to get the card to work. It's obvious he has not worked with a Tivo before because he was looking for the power button. The first card doesn't download the channel map at all. After 2 hours, I get Tivo on the line, who asks the guy to try another card. Which he does reluctantly. (I was hesitant at first because the first card was multistream card, and I didn't think the second one was going to be. Thankfully it is).
The 2nd card works somewhat - except I don't get about 15 HD channels (ESPN, CSN, HBO, etc). They send another guy out and both leave after telling me I need a "firmware" upgrade, which I will receive within 24 hours.

After 24 hours it still doesn't work, so I call. A rep tells me the card was listed under an employee account, she has set it up correctly and to give it 24 hours to work through the system.

Guess what - doesn't work after 24 hours.

Call back - they send 2 more techs to the house - these guys actually work for Comcast instead of being subcontracted like the first guys. They seem to know Tivo and have better equipment, and say that the problem is related to Tivo, and that their boss has been talking with a guy at Tivo about this problem. I get Tivo on the line - they decide to send me a new box in case that is the issue.

I get new box delivered, put Cablecard in. Guess what. Still don't get about 15 or so HD channels.

Tivo says the Val=? and Auth<>S on the Cablecard configuration screen indicate the card is not paired correctly. I call all 3 tech supervisors listed on the paperwork that was left with me. None of them call back.

Talk to a rep who says either he or his supervisor will return my call that day. Nobody does. Talk to another rep who sends out another tech. I ask the rep to please tell the tech to bring a new card. The tech shows up and says "So what's the problem?" (Glad to see the rep communicated the issue to the tech) When I explain to him what's going on, he tells me I'm not supposed to have a Cablecard, that Comcast isn't using them anymore!! I tell him that the FCC would beg to differ. He sits in my house for 2 hours talking to his "guy at the shop". He reads him the same sets of IDs (Cablecard ID, Host ID, Data) that previous people(including me) have read constantly. He leaves saying the firmware upgrade will be sent out overnight. Refuses to try another card.

Firmware never changes overnight.

I call and speak to a rep who apologizes profusely, and tells me she wishes her boss were there, because he knows all there is to know about cablecards. Takes my info and says she will have him call me over the weekend. I receive no call over the weekend.

I give them one last chance on a Monday and tell them if the don't have it working that day, I am switching to Verizon. I am told the tech supervisor will call back in an hour. 2 hours later I call back, and the guy gets on the line and says he was about to call me. I explain the whole situation to him. He gives me his direct line and tells me to call him that night when I get home.
I do, but I have to leave a message. And of course I have no confidence in him calling back, so I call him back an hour later. He has me read the Cabelcard ID, Host ID and Data numbers to him. These are the same set of numbers that have been read and re-read about twenty times by me and Comcast employees. He says "Oh I see the problem, the last 3 digits you just said are in the billing system wrong." After 5 minutes he has all my HD channels working and the Cablecard correctly says Val=V.

I ask him if this is how you become a supervisor at Comcast - you are capable of doing your job. I explain to him the hours of wasted time. I get a free month of cable and 6 months of HBO and Showtime free. I would much rather have the wasted time back.

Anyway, during this ordeal, mutiple people from Comcast either said or demonstrated to me that they are not trained with Cablecards. A couple of them pushed their box. To which my reply was "Can your box allow me to transfer shows to my PC and then convert it to my IPod?" They shut up quickly with that. Comcast has no incentive for making these things work. For those of you out there who get lucky and get it working right away - congrats. If any of you are as unlucky as me - be persistent - you will eventually talk to someone who isn't an idiot.

Good luck!
raveheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #4754
Roderigo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brookdale, CA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
If you pull the cards and re-insert them while the Tivo is powered up, it will change the 'data' value on the cards, which might screw up the provisioning that was done. Much safer to restart the Tivo.
This isn't true... The data value only changes if you move the cards around. If you just pop the card out and reinsert it into the same slot (without in the meanwhile inserting a different card in that slot), the data doesn't change. If you think about it from the card's perspective, rebooting the tivo and reinserting the cards are the same thing. The card has power, the card loses power, and the card regains power.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #4755
wackymann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 383
It's unbelievable how often the final issue on these nightmare installs comes down to people typing in the wrong numbers. I think the moral of the story is to have the people in the Comcast office read back the numbers over the phone to double-check that they are all correct.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 AM   #4756
lateknight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann View Post
It's unbelievable how often the final issue on these nightmare installs comes down to people typing in the wrong numbers. I think the moral of the story is to have the people in the Comcast office read back the numbers over the phone to double-check that they are all correct.
It seems to me that it would probably cost Comcast a helluva lot less to just have us, the users, pick up the cards and install them ourselves...seems like all if would take would be an hour or two of reading this thread to figure out how to do it right.
lateknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #4757
Gregor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post
This isn't true... The data value only changes if you move the cards around. If you just pop the card out and reinsert it into the same slot (without in the meanwhile inserting a different card in that slot), the data doesn't change. If you think about it from the card's perspective, rebooting the tivo and reinserting the cards are the same thing. The card has power, the card loses power, and the card regains power.
I understand the logic, but that's not what happened on an install that I had.
__________________
Wii: 5166-1365-9840-0899

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:39 AM   #4758
Gregor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann View Post
It's unbelievable how often the final issue on these nightmare installs comes down to people typing in the wrong numbers. I think the moral of the story is to have the people in the Comcast office read back the numbers over the phone to double-check that they are all correct.
Reading back long numeric strings over a phone is just asking for trouble. Think about how many times you've read a credit card # over the phone, and had to do it a couple times. It would have been a terrific idea to stick a check digit at the end, so they couldn't enter a number that wasn't correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateknight View Post
It seems to me that it would probably cost Comcast a helluva lot less to just have us, the users, pick up the cards and install them ourselves...seems like all if would take would be an hour or two of reading this thread to figure out how to do it right.
I agree, it would have made sense for Cable Labs to have some sort of web interface that customers could use. I guess it's like the HD installs. When HD first came out, customers couldn't do a self-install, now it's no big deal. It sucks that Comcast thinks that the only people capable of reading numbers off a screen are Comcast techs. Remember, too, that Tivo still isn't very common, I had techs on my install last fall that still hadn't seen a Tivo after it had been out a year.
__________________
Wii: 5166-1365-9840-0899

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #4759
jlb
NCC-1701-D
 
jlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 7,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateknight View Post
It seems to me that it would probably cost Comcast a helluva lot less to just have us, the users, pick up the cards and install them ourselves...seems like all if would take would be an hour or two of reading this thread to figure out how to do it right.
And on top of that, set-up an automated phone line or website to enter the values ourselves.
__________________
1 TiVoHD with Motorola M Cable Card and a 2TB Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS Drive.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #4760
Pictor Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
And on top of that, set-up an automated phone line or website to enter the values ourselves.
They still can't setup a website that has current channel lineup offerings. I think you need to set your expectations a little lower.
__________________
____________
Pictor Guy
(2) TiVo HD
HDR312 340 hours and TuboNET NIC
HDR312 90hours w/external modem
(2) R10 DirecTiVo
(2) HR10-250 DirecTiVo
Pictor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #4761
jlb
NCC-1701-D
 
jlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 7,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post
This isn't true... The data value only changes if you move the cards around. If you just pop the card out and reinsert it into the same slot (without in the meanwhile inserting a different card in that slot), the data doesn't change. If you think about it from the card's perspective, rebooting the tivo and reinserting the cards are the same thing. The card has power, the card loses power, and the card regains power.

This is correct. During my long window install of a single M Card on Saturday, one trouble shooting item included popping the card out, in addition to rebooting the TiVo. The data stayed the same. Because of the many things done in a short period of time, I am not sure exactly what kept me from working and what the solution exactly was.

All I know is that it is working now and the first thing I did was to set up a SP for Terminator and Prison Break. I love QAM HD via a "free" cable card......!!!!!!!!!

Wahooo!

Now I need the My DVR Expander (no desire to open the box) so I can set all of my SPs in HD (when available).
__________________
1 TiVoHD with Motorola M Cable Card and a 2TB Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS Drive.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #4762
KraziJoe
What? Me Worry?
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraziJoe View Post
Called to get a CC install from Comcast of Arlington/Alexandria Virginia and was informed, like a few here, that there are no CC's in our area and that they are waiting for Cards to arrive.
I called BS and am awaiting a call from a Manager, that I don't expect to get.
On an update, I never received a call, so I called back today and they said they expect Cable Cards this week and they would call me when they become available.
I doubt they will, but one never knows.
KraziJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #4763
Roderigo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brookdale, CA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
I understand the logic, but that's not what happened on an install that I had.
If the problem was on install, it's also possible that someone sent out a code to change the data number.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #4764
junonion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Cool Howard County, MD

Well I am scheduled for Comcast to come out tomorrow between 7-10. I have dealt with most of the same stuff all of you have dealt with (telling me no cablecards when they do have them, telling me to pick them up myself then saying I cannot install myself, etc...). I have used this thread to get information to push Comcast to help me. Last week when I called and they told me there was no cablecards, I explained that my "friend" got a call that they were in (Marsalla's posts). The guy said ok and started the process and we'll see if I have any luck tomorrow.

Will keep you posted.
junonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #4765
ehawk01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehawk01 View Post
I knew I was getting HD Tivo for Xmas and to be prepared I ordered the Comcast HD service three weeks before Xmas, the rep told me that I could just go down to the local Comcast store and pickup my cable cards. I went down to the store the day after x-mas and stood in line for 45 minutes only to discover that they had the cards in stock, but would not give them to me because they had to be installed by a tech. So I have been waiting for weeks for my Cable card installation which was supposed to be today between 8AM and 11AM. At 11 I call Comcast to see why the tech had not showed. They apologized and said that I would be next. So at noon the tech finally shows up but without any cable cards!! WTF? He says that he brought an HD-receiver instead. I told him that I did not need the HD receiver box and that I wanted what I ordered...
He then hopped in his car and drove away.

When I called Customer Support they acted shocked and apologized. They told me that the warehouse is out of cable cards and that they would have to reschedule.

Why can't Comcast manage their inventory? It would have been much better if they had called me yesterday or this morning letting me know that they were out before making me wait all day missing work.

So now I must wait because there are no other HD cable providers in my area. I really wish I could cancel, but I am trapped
Today Comcast shows back up for the rescheduled visit based on the goof up on Thursday. As soon as I greet the technician he says "we were out of cable cards at the office this morning..."

Why did they not call me ahead of time and why did they even bother to show up without the equipment to complete the order? the disorganization of Comcast amazes me...
ehawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #4766
junonion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
What county/state are you at ehawk?
junonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #4767
mrlogical
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehawk01 View Post
Today Comcast shows back up for the rescheduled visit based on the goof up on Thursday. As soon as I greet the technician he says "we were out of cable cards at the office this morning..."

Why did they not call me ahead of time and why did they even bother to show up without the equipment to complete the order? the disorganization of Comcast amazes me...
I've had a very similar experience, only took longer to getting around to doing something about it. I suggest you immediately call up Comcast and ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell them about the screwups so far, and insist (if they don't offer it, which they probably will) that someone be in charge of calling you as soon as they get cards in and making sure they have them before you waste time sitting around for whenever your next appointment is. I don't know that I feel any more confident now that someone will show up with cablecards for me at my next appointment, but at least at this point I have specific people to complain to and it'll cost them another $20 every time they mess up (the $20 doesn't make me feel that much better, but it makes me feel good to know at least they're losing money by screwing me over).
mrlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #4768
Roderigo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brookdale, CA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
It would have been a terrific idea to stick a check digit at the end, so they couldn't enter a number that wasn't correct.
The Cablecard ID and Host ID do have check digits. Check out ANSI/SCTE 41, Appendix A


I would guess the cable companies' billing software just isn't smart enough to do the check.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #4769
jdg0928
I (heart) Comcast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Watertown, Mass.
Posts: 3
Exact Opposite Experiences & STB Question

I spent more than 17 hours over two days last week dealing with Comcast -- waiting for tech, dealing with tech or waiting for a return call -- trying to get their version of TiVo on my Moto box. I have about a mile of notes attached to my account and have been promised quite a bit of credit.

Finally, my g/f asked why I just didn't get a TiVo HD with a bunch of gift cards from the holidays, so we were off to Best Buy and got one. I had everything up and running within an hour or two and couldn't have been happier to have the familiar TiVo interface back in my life. (In fact, transferring service from my Series2 was so simple I figured I must have done something wrong!)

Sadly, I had to call Comcast to request the CableCards. Thankfully, I read a lot of tips in this forum. I was specific about requesting an M-Card, but the CSR kept telling me that there was only one-way communication with TiVo HD. I told him that I was aware of the difference between multiple streams and two-way communication, but he kept talking about one-way vs. two-way communication. Ughhh!!!

Anyway, I have seen some people post a link to the second-to-last question in this FAQ about getting a free box to handle OD and PPV. Anyone actually have any luck with this? The CSR today said that it was not true, despite me telling him what I was reading on Comcast's site.
jdg0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:23 AM   #4770
thesaintfl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
It's been going on two months and I still do not have CableCARDS in my TivoHD. Have paid two months of digtal cable and still have not seen one digital cable channel.

Comcast has been an absolute nightmare in my area of South Florida. They threatened me ..Hung up on... Screamed at (yes screamed at!) as soon as I mention CableCards & TivoHD. And if I bring back 2 Comcast DVRs I would be charged more for the 2 cablecards with the 1 TivoHD.

Well the two brought back 2 DVRs has resulted in them charging almost double for HSI Internet Service. The HSI listed in the Local Newspaper (Comcast Ad) and a pricing list from the local Comcast @ HSI $42.95 with Cable and $57.95 non-Cable Customer... They have charged $77.59 for the HSI this billing cycle, just because I brought back the DVRs!!

Isn't this False Advertisement if the prices are listed in the Local Newspaper and I have a printout of their own Comcast Price List?

Anyone I can speak to or file complaint to? I would hate to file complaint about a company unless it is the absolute worse case scenario and Comcast has brought me to that point.
thesaintfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |