TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #4651
fatespawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbins View Post

A tech arrived last Monday with a cablecard in hand, he said he had done this before. He called in with the host and data numbers and was told the card was "already provisioned". Which meant it "belonged" to another user. He said there was nothing he could do. I decided to give them one more chance and rescheduled for Friday (today). The tech arrived with no cablecards, but an HD box, which I already have. The work order was completely wrong, not his fault. I complained, he made some calls, he was very helpful, and arrived back a couple hours later with a multistream card. We plugged it in, he called and read the numbers, as I listened, and a few minutes later, everything is working fine.

I posted about my pain a year ago, I figured it's fair to post with a success story.
Heh. Some "success" story. I've live in the West burbs in Chicago, and I have had a TivoHD for about a month now. Long enough to see 2 erroneous bills and have a similar laughable installation story. I likely won't stay with Comcast/Tivo past the 12 month "discount" rate for cable. Unless something miraculous happens to keep me, the quality of my Tivo is crushed by the SHEER incompetence of Comcast. Too bad.

Be sure to check your next bill to see if they are billing you for your CC. They don't charge for the first card, but the DO charge for the 2nd... and guess what? My single M-card is being billed at $1.50/ month.

-fate
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #4652
sboston02127

Success Story(Boston)

Hi All - I am almost afraid to post this because I don't want to jinx anything but my cable cards were installed and my new series 3 was up and running in about 30 minutes today. The tech showed up at 11:30(11-1 window) and told me I only needed one cable card. Thanks to this thread I knew I needed two. He had the other one because it was part of the work order. He installed both, "initialized" them with dispatch and at first my premium channels did not come in. However the woman at dispatch recognized she had something set wrong, so she "re-initialized" them and everything worked perfectly. The tech had only done one series 3 installation prior to mine so, I think the key is who they get at dispatch. The lady he was speaking with sounded very familiar with Tivo. She asked questions about what it looked like, where were the slots located, etc. She also knew to ignore the 161-4 error code.

Hopefully, I won't have any problems in the next few days and this will be the end of my posts on this thread. I just wanted to post this because I was dreading my install after reading this forum. I live in Boston and I think my tech's name was Tom, but his number is 3067 if you want to request him. At least you will know he has two installs under his belt.
sboston02127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #4653
BobB
Devout Tivonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboston02127 View Post
Hopefully, I won't have any problems in the next few days and this will be the end of my posts on this thread. I just wanted to post this because I was dreading my install after reading this forum. I live in Boston
We seem to be seeing quite a few "getting it right the first time" stories from Boston, including mine (one M card, in & out in under 30 minutes). Nice to know that all the news isn't so grim...
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #4654
TriBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBlount View Post
Ok, I just called Comcast and scheduled an appointment for Friday to have a MCard installed. Let's see how this goes. Need good <<VIBES>>

Well, I guess I got lucky and had a good install.

I had an appointment for 4-6 this afternoon. When scheduling the appointment, I was told I would receive a reminder call yesterday and another today. Well at 4PM, after no calls, I was a little nervous that they canceled the appointment for some reason without telling me. A quick call to Comcast confirmed that my appointment was still there.

Sure enough 15 minutes later I got a call from the Tech to confirm my address and ask for directions. He arrive around 4:45PM. He said that he had only done one Tivo installation as training, but that he had talked to his supervisor throughout the process. (Good sign)

I gave him the printed instruction from Tivo, he actually stopped to read them! He then called in to his dispatch and started to work. It took him a couple of minutes to realize that he had install the CC before he could get the Host ID, but once the card was install, it was immediately recognize (although I was a little nervous that it first was recognized an a SCard, but that soon changed to an MCard.) He read the numbers off the screen to his dispatch and, low an behold, I get a screen saying that the Tivo was downloading the channel mappings. (Guess that is a good sign.) After a couple of minutes, I have Video. I quickly check the HD channles, then some Digital Tier channels, and finally the HBO and Shotime. I see EVERYTHING I subscribe to.

I sign the work order and the technician leaves. Total time is 30 minutes. As the tech was leaving, he mentions that no one at the office wanted to take this call as none of them had ever done a Tivo install before. Luckily, I got a tech that was willing to follow directions and take one step at a time.

Kudos to Comcast and this technician.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #4655
BanditWS6

RBlount, good to hear it worked out. If you have any leftover good vibes, send some my way. Tech #3 arrives at my place tomorrow afternoon, and this time, I'm hoping for a fully-functional TiVo HD by the time he leaves.
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #4656
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I scheduled my CC install for next Saturday 11-1, plus if they can squueze me in this weekend, they will try.

The Service Rep was very nice, but it was interesting that she tried to tell me there are "different" kind of TiVos and the tech will bring many different kinds of cards.

Regardless, she was helpful. For work purposes, she had my request noted of needing either 1 M card or 2 S cards. She confirmed that the install fee is $17.95. This is not bad, but I had previously been told it was $14.95. She said that fee quote is if a rep comes to just drop something off. She said "yes", they could drop off the cards, but I figured it's better to have them come and be willing to work with the TiVo instructions then for me to try and figure out how to contact provisioning to initialize the cards.

She also confirmed the first card is free and the second card (if necessary) would only be $2.75 per month. When I mentioned the "up to $1.91" that is noted on the website, she said that "the website probably needs to be updated".

Anyways, I will be happy if I only have to add $2.75 to my $10/month.

So far, so good.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #4657
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
I scheduled my CC install for next Saturday 11-1, plus if they can squueze me in this weekend, they will try.

The Service Rep was very nice, but it was interesting that she tried to tell me there are "different" kind of TiVos and the tech will bring many different kinds of cards.

Regardless, she was helpful. For work purposes, she had my request noted of needing either 1 M card or 2 S cards. She confirmed that the install fee is $17.95. This is not bad, but I had previously been told it was $14.95. She said that fee quote is if a rep comes to just drop something off. She said "yes", they could drop off the cards, but I figured it's better to have them come and be willing to work with the TiVo instructions then for me to try and figure out how to contact provisioning to initialize the cards.

She also confirmed the first card is free and the second card (if necessary) would only be $2.75 per month. When I mentioned the "up to $1.91" that is noted on the website, she said that "the website probably needs to be updated".

So far, so good.
Here is how it works around these parts (comcast/ne). The price sheet included with your bill says specifically that the first cableCARD is free. The second cableCARD in the same device is $1.50, They have NOT been charging ANYTHING for the cableCARDs at all so far. The $2.75 the CSR refers to is the A/O fee. (A/O = Additional Outlet.) Your service includes one outlet period. If you have a cable box, that is your first outlet. If not, your first cableCARD is free. Then, every cableCARD after that incurs a charge of $2.75 A/O per month.

That said, there are some other "issues". The A/O should really only be charged for premium services. But, it seems as though Comcast has been charging everyone the A/O fee since it appears that the programming tier is tied to their billing system. Also, I'm not sure how they are handling A/O charges with M-cards. I have seen reports that they still charge an A/O for the second tuner even though there is only one cableCARD.

Anyway, all of the charges are detailed in your annual billing statement or at your local office. I currently have two Series 3 TiVos with 4 cableCARDs. I do have premium content including NHL CI and SHO. I pay for 3 A/O charges of $2.75.

pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #4658
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
...... If not, your first cableCARD is free. Then, every cableCARD after that incurs a charge of $2.75 A/O per month.

That said, there are some other "issues". The A/O should really only be charged for premium services. But, it seems as though Comcast has been charging everyone the A/O fee since it appears that the programming tier is tied to their billing system. Also, I'm not sure how they are handling A/O charges with M-cards. I have seen reports that they still charge an A/O for the second tuner even though there is only one cableCARD...............
My service rep on the phone specifically stated that if I received an M card, "there will be no additional monthly fees". If I needed 2 S cards, she stated "your monthly fee increase would only be $2.75".

Soooooo, as long as that is all it is, I will be happy. I guess I could push for the $1.50 instead of the $2.75 since I do not have a digital package, just the lifeline basic at $10/month. I guess they could map me to the digital SD to justify the $2.75. IF they do that, fine, I would rather map to the digital SD anyway.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #4659
shifty
RAAWWRR

Comcast Atlanta - Just had installer come out today. Guy who showed up was familiar with the process, name was named Karim, tech number 7905 (contractor).

When I called to setup the appointment, the operator said the tech would bring out a pair of S-Cards, there would be no recurring charge for having the cards, but the install fee would be around $15-20, IIRC for the tech visit. I'll confirm this when I get the first bill.

Tech arrived with one M-Card, serial number starts with MA07, made by Motorola. Tivo picked up the card right away, and the tech called in to have them initialize everything. The first guy he called initialized/provisioned the card for a headend in Stone Mountain, so he ended up having to call back and have the next person check it out, who then swapped things over to the Fulton Central headend.

Tivo acted a little stupid and we kept getting the 'spinning wheel' saying it was still initializing channels. After a lot of waiting, we rebooted, and it showed the channels existed, but it still wouldn't stop giving the pinwheel when we tried to go to Live TV. One more reboot, and another call to verify and things were setup OK resulted in HD service.

Overall, process took around 45 minutes. I have HD service, but seeing a little quirkiness, my S/N ratio looks good, and signal quality is 100%, but I still have occasional macroblocking during rapid movements on HD channels. I also noticed the "Retro-active" music channel pops up a Tivo Cablecard sscreen syaing "In order to start cable service for this device, please contact your cable provider". All other music channels are working OK from what I can tell, so I'm not sure why this is happening. Literally, it's one of only 3-4 music channels I'll actually listen to

Overall, pretty seamless process. Karim was knowledgeable with Tivo and had a good personality, I'd refer him out to anyone else doing the same install.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #4660
pl1

Quote:
My service rep on the phone specifically stated that if I received an M card, "there will be no additional monthly fees". If I needed 2 S cards, she stated "your monthly fee increase would only be $2.75".
I'll bet if you called three times you would get three different answers. I know I did. What I got billed for was in the price sheet. No CSR I ever talked to mentioned there was an A/O fee vs. a cableCARD fee. Anyway, I hope it all goes the way you anticipate.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #4661
s43s

Comcast Nashville, TN

After numerous conversations and emails I was told the following by Comcast Nashville:

1st card - free - result: charging me 6.95 + 1.50 for the card
2nd card - 6.95
VOD and PPV will work with TiVo HD and M-Card

After purchasing the TiVo HD:
I returned my digital cable box to the local office and picked up the M-Card.
Setup was not so bad but getting Comcast to activate the M-Card was a bit tiresome with all their 'drivers are down' talk.
Finally, they get it activated 2.5 hours later.
Channel 1 is VOD and it is blank.

I call TiVo and they tell me VOD will not work and probably never will. They told me some people run the TiVo on one input and the digital box on another. I stated why would I want to pay for a cable card and a cable box when there is no break in cost from TiVo because VOD doesn't work with their box.

Contacted Comcast and working on getting a digital box and returning TiVo. So much for the long awaited move to TiVo - buying a regular DVR recorder now.
s43s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #4662
BanditWS6

I'm now 0 for 3. The Comcast tech missed today's service call, the third such appointment in my ongoing saga. Rescheduled for Wednesday the 9th between 10am and noon.

I'm not sure whether this is a comedy or a tragedy.
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #4663
shifty
RAAWWRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by s43s View Post
VOD and PPV will work with TiVo HD and M-Card
I can confirm what you already know: It will not work At least, every time I tune to an OnDemand channel, I get "checking for signal" or similar. It's a small feature to lose IMHO. For me, personally, being able to record HD content and archive off-network for later viewing is worth it.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #4664
shifty
RAAWWRR

Oh - one other thing I noticed, and maybe only another Atlanta metro user would be able to confirm this - I get all of the music channels I am supposed to .... EXCEPT ONE ... every time I tune to the "Retro Active" channel on (I think) 916, I get a "call your cable provider to activate this service" message. Very weird, because every other music channel works, and all of the channel titles match what is currently showing.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #4665
BobB
Devout Tivonian

Quote:
Here is how it works around these parts (comcast/ne). The price sheet included with your bill says specifically that the first cableCARD is free. The second cableCARD in the same device is $1.50, They have NOT been charging ANYTHING for the cableCARDs at all so far. The $2.75 the CSR refers to is the A/O fee. (A/O = Additional Outlet.) Your service includes one outlet period. If you have a cable box, that is your first outlet. If not, your first cableCARD is free. Then, every cableCARD after that incurs a charge of $2.75 A/O per month.

Also, I'm not sure how they are handling A/O charges with M-cards. I have seen reports that they still charge an A/O for the second tuner even though there is only one cableCARD.
I am getting charged the $2.75 A/O fee for my M card, but the CSR explained that it's not because it's an M card, it's because I also have a cable box that I use for On Demand services. A second device (of whatever type) incurs the A/O fee.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #4666
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
I am getting charged the $2.75 A/O fee for my M card, but the CSR explained that it's not because it's an M card, it's because I also have a cable box that I use for On Demand services. A second device (of whatever type) incurs the A/O fee.
Exactly what I said "should' be the case.

What I said:
Quote:
The $2.75 the CSR refers to is the A/O fee. (A/O = Additional Outlet.) Your service includes one outlet period. If you have a cable box, that is your first outlet

Old 01-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #4667
lateknight

So I finally got my new TV, the Sharp Acquos 32" LCD. Xbox 360 and DVD's look great, but my crappy analog cable looks, well, hideous. My question is this: I don't watch much actual TV except for the major networks and my wife watches Food Network a lot. That being the case, we just have the basic analog cable, which is really all we need. I'm getting the Tivo HD for my birthday in February and I'm wondering what the least expensive option is for cable through Comcast. Looking on their site, they have an option for HD TV for non-digital subscribers. Is it possible to do HD analog with the Tivo HD? If not can I subscribe to Digital Basic and pay for the HD upgrade? The Comcast site says that you have to subscribe to Digital Preferred Plus or above to get HD, but I'm just not that interested in paying $105/month just to get HD for the major networks? I'm in the SF Bay Area if this makes a difference. I called Comcast and the CSR didn't seem to have a clue...thanks in advance for the help!

Patrick

P.S. I'm sure the answer to this is somehwhere in the past 156 pages, but I'm hoping someone could just let me know so I don't have to backread that far. Thanks!
lateknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #4668
RNSAMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasay View Post
The magic word is initialize. There are four levels of signals. I forget what the most basic level is, but after that there are "soft hit," "hit," and "initialize," which supposedly covers the same as the other three plus some secret power ingredient.

But what I want to know is, has ANYONE been able to get Comcast cable cards to work with their TiVo? I bought Series 2 and finally gave up and had Comcast bring back an HD box and take their mCard away. Of course it doesn't work with the TiVo, which is going back, I guess.
I have two Motorola S-Cards from Comcast working in my Series 3 HD Tivo (300 hour one). One card starts in serial number MA, and the other starts with NG. Supposedly, according to Comcast, only the "NG" Motorola cards are supposed to work here in South Jersey - but they both work for me.

I have had mine working since Christmas Eve. Every now and then, on the premium channels (like HBO) I will get a message screen saying that the channels are not authorized, and to call the cable company, etc. (black screen with white lettering). Usually if I hit clear on the Tivo remote the channel comes back, but a few times I have had to restart the Tivo, and then the channels work fine. I haven't quite figured out why that is happening, but so far don't care, as long as the cable cards continue to work.

It hasn't interfered in any major way with my Tivo/TV viewing enjoyment. Just a minor pain.

RNSAMRN
Series 2 Tivo
Series 3 HD Tivo
Motorola HD Dual DVR (Comcast)
RNSAMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 AM   #4669
RNSAMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigbusiness197 View Post
Well, I just got off the phone with comcast (again). wait, let me start at the beginning.
Bought my HD Tivo on 12/27, called Comcast and they were out at my house on 12/28 to install the cablecard (M card). The tech was great, showed up during the given window, and sort-of knew what to do with the cablecard and Tivo. He plugged it in, called in the magic numbers to dispatch, and then Tivo said - re-run guided setup. Since it was new year's eve, and I know that the guided setup takes 30+ minutes, I told him it looked great and to take off, which he promptly did.
After guided setup was done.....uh, oh. no encrypted channels. I call comcast, and they scheduled and appointment for the next day. Same tech comes out, he swaps in new (S card) cablecards, and waits around during guided setup (I didn't know this was unnecessary) and lo and behold, same exact thing. he dorks around loking at screens for a while, then waits on hold with the people in the head office, they aren't much help. He basically says he needs to escalate the problem, then leaves.
I call the 800 number the next day, talk to somebody who was completely clueless, and can't even bother to read my open trouble/install ticket. 3rd visit scheduled for 12/31.
12/31 - different tech shows up, and he knows his cableCARD stuff. He puts in a new Mcard, then says - "Well, robert isn't in today in the head end, and he's the guy that knows how to get them working, so I'll call you back on Wed. and make sure we get this all sorted out with him." Great, I think, I've found the right person to work with.
Sadly, he never calls back, so I call the 800 number and ask the clueless person to have the tech call me, and they tell me they'll open a ticket, etc.
I call back today (obviously they're not fond of calling me) and was just told that "Our cablecards don't work with the new Tivos. Our higher-ups are working on it, but I don't know when they will have a solution." This is after she asked me if my Tivo was a Scientific Atlanta box. (uhhh...no) I was told that they'll just downgrade my seervice and not charge me for the premium channels since I can't get them. Judging by past performance, this means that they'll cut off my internet, too, so I offer to use a cable box till they get the problem fixed.
GAH!!! I really wanted this to work, and I've already pre-paid for a year of Tivo service! I guess I'll have fun getting that refunded.

This is in fauquier county, VA, by the way, where comcast recently bought out adelphia.
I was told the cable cards didn't work with the Tivo boxes too..........as well as any other excuse they could think of at the time - the stories kept changing. I have been there, and was close to giving up. I just kept calling and calling and calling, and finally the company Comcast contracted to come out seemed to get tired of my calls and decided to just come out and install the cards. It took three different tech visits, and the cards they said "didn't work in the Tivo boxes" worked.

Don't give up - keep calling. Contact someone in corporate if needed. I was close to filing a complaint with the FCC, but didn't need to do so in the end.

Good luck...........sending positive Tivo vibes your way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RNSAMRN
New Jersey
Old 01-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #4670
RNSAMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin4 View Post
I leave in the Atlantic city area and Comcast is supposed to receive new cards on 1/4/08
to correct the problem with series 3 tivo and the Motorola cable cards.
Live near you. Using Motorola cards and they are working. Interested to know what the "new cards" are.

RNSAMRN
Atlantic County, New Jersey
Old 01-07-2008, 02:01 AM   #4671
drofjustice

Used CableCARD from Comcast HD DVR in TiVo HD - slick!!

I read about all the problems, but after a few agonizing weeks with the Comcast Motorola HD Dual Tuner DVR, I had to go TiVo. I have used a Series 2 80 hr DVD TiVo for years, but recently installed an HD Projector and 100" screen (Screen Goo - awesome!!!!). I called Comcast to ask about the CableCARD, and was told that I could not pick it up, but it had to be delivered by courrier ($10 for delivery, $0 for card), and that they only deliver at night, but scheduled it for 2 days later between 5 and 7 pm. I then bought the TiVO HD and proceeded to get it set up. When I disconnected the Comcast DVR, I noticed that it contained an M-Card behind a screen-guard. I thought, "hmmm...it's the right kind, it's already activated, I don't recall anyone saying I couldn't remove it, just 2 screws, why not?" So I completed the initial set up and service update, then stuck the M-Card in slot 1. It formatted itself and worked like a charm! No call to Comcast needed!
Then, Comcast called to say they made a mistake, in fact the CableCARD needed to be brought by an installer (no additional charge since I was given bad info), which required an appointment, the soonest of which was the week after next. I happily agreed to the appointment time. I figure this will save me some time, because when the intaller comes, I will hand him the crappy DVR, tell him to stick the new CableCARD in it, and ask him to return the whole lot to Comcast and credit my account. I've got TiVo with Digital and HD Channels - WooHoo!!! And no tech was necessary. BTW - Comcast let me pick up the crappy DVR and set it up myself, including calling to have the thing "pinged", but they can't just let me pick up a CableCARD??? There is something really fishy going on here. I smell CLASS ACTION.
If you've got a card that works - by all means, use it!
drofjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 AM   #4672
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Oh - one other thing I noticed, and maybe only another Atlanta metro user would be able to confirm this - I get all of the music channels I am supposed to .... EXCEPT ONE ... every time I tune to the "Retro Active" channel on (I think) 916, I get a "call your cable provider to activate this service" message. Very weird, because every other music channel works, and all of the channel titles match what is currently showing.
I can confirm that 916 is Retro Active and it works for me. I tested a few of the other music channels too and I don't seem to have any problem. I'm more concerned about how crappy the images shown are. It's like they didn't even try.
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #4673
BobB
Devout Tivonian

Quote:
Exactly what I said "should' be the case.

What I said:
I know. I was just filling in the missing data point, that M cards do indeed get billed as single A/O devices, same as S cards. As they should be.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #4674
noza
Delivery Boy

Here's my 2-day Saga with Comcast (Boulder, CO suburbs)...

We got a TivoHD for Christmas but waited a week or so to have the CableCARDs installed to let the holiday craziness die down a bit. The TivoHD worked fine with my analog cable and the few ATSC stations that I can pick up in the Denver/Boulder area. New Year's Day I used the "Support Chat" feature on Comcast's website to schedule an install. The "analyst" on the chat was very helpful/friendly when I told her I had a Tivo, she knew immediately to schedule a CableCARD only install, and set me up for an 8:00am appointment on Saturday the 5th.

8:15 on Saturday morning two different Comcast trucks are in my driveway and two techs show up at the door. One guy tells me he is training the other guy to do Tivo installs. He goes right up the TiVo, take a Moto M-Card from his coat pocket, puts in to the correct slot, and whips through the TiVo menus in a blur of button pushes (he's obviously done a lot of these and/or has a TiVo himself). Calls dispatch, gives them the codes, they hit the card, and I'm rolling - 15 minutes all told including a 5 minute wait on hold. Awesome.

So he starts checking the channels and notices that only the local HDs are coming in, not the cable networks (Discovery, TNT, etc). He looks at the service order and says, "ah, here's why, you only have Digital Basic, you need Digital Preferred to get the additional non-local HD channels". So I tell him I'll think about it and I thank him and he leaves; 20 minutes total.

So a few hours go by and my wife and I decide that, yes, we do want those additional channels (plus some of the SD channels in the Preferred package). So I call the local Comcast franchise and tell them I want to add that package, and confirmed that the additional HD channels would be part of it, which the reassured me they would. So they transfer me to their Tech Support call center in Colorado Springs to do the new hit on the CableCARD and have me test it out over the phone. Talking to a new (and far less knowledgeable) CSR in Tech Support, I give her the CableCARD Host ID and sure enough a few seconds later I get the "Acquiring Channels" screen and I can browse through the SD digital channels but none of the HD channels. 30 minutes later of periodically being put on hold she comes back and tells me "I just noticed on your account that you don't have an 'HD CableCARD' and so the installer will come back out tomorrow and install one for you which should fix it." I tell her a CableCARD is just a CableCARD but she doesn't listen and schedules an appointment. She does apologize for keeping me on the phone so long and offers to give me the Preferred package free for 3 months.

A few hours later I'm looking at my account information on Comcast.com and notice that it is offering to let me "Upgrade to HD for $7.00". Thinking -that- might be the issue, I click "Upgrade" and it connects me again to a Online Chat CSR (after a LOOOONG wait in the 'queue'). This CSR starts processing my order then says "oh, we need to come install a HD box because it says here you don't have a box at all!" So I tell her that, no, I have a TiVo w/ a CableCARD and don't need a box. She gets upset and says that Comcast does NOT allow TiVos, that I need to disconnect my TiVo and immediately schedule an appt. to get a Comcast HD box. I tell her that's not true and ask to have the issue escalated to a supervisor. She refuses, saying "NO ONE here can help you. You CAN NOT use a TiVo with HD." So I tell her to cancel any order she has set up and log off.

A little shaken, I call back to the local franchise and explain what's happened to a helpful rep who tells me, "oh no, that $7 is a rental fee for an HD box and you don't need that because you have a TiVo." She adds, "you should be getting those channels, and the tech who is coming out will figure out why it's not working".

So 7:30am the next morning I get a call from the tech who has the work order and he says "you know, I was looking through this work order and your account and it looks like you have the wrong decrypt keys being sent to your CableCARD. I put in the right keys and rehit the card. Can you see if it's working now?" Sure enough, it's working great. I thank him and he says, "hey, great, saves me a trip!".

So 2 day saga later, I have what I think I'm supposed to have, but the big finale will be when I actually get the bill...
noza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #4675
Marshella

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofjustice View Post
I read about all the problems, but after a few agonizing weeks with the Comcast Motorola HD Dual Tuner DVR, I had to go TiVo. I have used a Series 2 80 hr DVD TiVo for years, but recently installed an HD Projector and 100" screen (Screen Goo - awesome!!!!). I called Comcast to ask about the CableCARD, and was told that I could not pick it up, but it had to be delivered by courrier ($10 for delivery, $0 for card), and that they only deliver at night, but scheduled it for 2 days later between 5 and 7 pm. I then bought the TiVO HD and proceeded to get it set up. When I disconnected the Comcast DVR, I noticed that it contained an M-Card behind a screen-guard. I thought, "hmmm...it's the right kind, it's already activated, I don't recall anyone saying I couldn't remove it, just 2 screws, why not?" So I completed the initial set up and service update, then stuck the M-Card in slot 1. It formatted itself and worked like a charm! No call to Comcast needed!
Then, Comcast called to say they made a mistake, in fact the CableCARD needed to be brought by an installer (no additional charge since I was given bad info), which required an appointment, the soonest of which was the week after next. I happily agreed to the appointment time. I figure this will save me some time, because when the intaller comes, I will hand him the crappy DVR, tell him to stick the new CableCARD in it, and ask him to return the whole lot to Comcast and credit my account. I've got TiVo with Digital and HD Channels - WooHoo!!! And no tech was necessary. BTW - Comcast let me pick up the crappy DVR and set it up myself, including calling to have the thing "pinged", but they can't just let me pick up a CableCARD??? There is something really fishy going on here. I smell CLASS ACTION.
If you've got a card that works - by all means, use it!
DAMN - a cablecard in the Comcast DVR - now why didn't I think of that? Well, it certainly would have been most hepful to me if you'd posted that message last month! :-( Way cool info, though.

Anyone in Maryland YET get their cablecards, or service scheduled?

Someone from Comcast CS called me while I was out today - unfortunately my fax was set to auto-answer and they couldn't leave me a message. :-( So I called them back, left voice mail.

Marshella
Marshella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #4676
Pinster56

Quote:

So far, so good.
I live in MA also, and also have the Comcast clowns coming out on Saturday to install. I set up the appt while speaking to a Comcast tech on their customer chat site. I am so scared they will screw it up. He told me I will need TWO cards, and it will cost me $4.95/month extra for them!
Pinster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #4677
BobB
Devout Tivonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinster56 View Post
I live in MA also, and also have the Comcast clowns coming out on Saturday to install. I set up the appt while speaking to a Comcast tech on their customer chat site. I am so scared they will screw it up. He told me I will need TWO cards, and it will cost me $4.95/month extra for them!
You need two cards if you have an S3, but only one M card if you have a THD. Some of the techs who've only seen S3s think they all need two. Just be sure to tell them to bring an M card.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #4678
Pinster56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
You need two cards if you have an S3, but only one M card if you have a THD. Some of the techs who've only seen S3s think they all need two. Just be sure to tell them to bring an M card.
So will my THD ONLY take an M card, or does it also have the two-card option? I just want to be informed when Comcast Clown is there...
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #4679
ilh

It will take 2 S cards.
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #4680
Pinster56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilh View Post
It will take 2 S cards.
I would assume 2 S cards will cost me more than 1 M card?