TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #4621
WyldStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshella View Post
8)TODAY - well they did one better than last week - Amtec (the subcontractor) actuall DID call me about 9 am to inform me they still did not have cablecards. :-( I called Comcast back - oh, lo and behold, they now have a "waiting list" they can ADD my name to and that they'll call me when the cards are available - but not before next week, of course. Now I'm left wondering - am I now at the BOTTOM of this list - even though I've technically been waiting since NOVEMBER - and WHEN will they get the dang cards in?

FRUSTRATED (oh, and did I mention having all this "fun" whilst being 8 months pregnant and dealing with the usual holiday stress to begin with?)!!!!!
I'm stuck in the exact same position you are in Maryland, with a cancelled appointment and a 'waiting list'. I'm getting seriously fed up with Comcast. Next step for me will be to hit the BBB if I can't get some resolution soon. It may not actually do any good, but it'll sure make me feel better!
WyldStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #4622
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ok, I just called Comcast and scheduled an appointment for Friday to have a MCard installed. Let's see how this goes. Need good <<VIBES>>
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #4623
dhoward

My appointment is for tomorrow. No M Cards available. I am giving Comcast back their cable box and my bill will go down $7-$8/month. Well it would have except in this months bill they announced rate increases starting in Feb. Boy, I remember when TV was free....

I am dreading this installation based on the horror stories in this forum. I have found the techs to be a sorry group in general. Maybe I will get lucky. I held off getting an HD box because of this dread but now I have to bite the bullet.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #4624
blickley

I had Comcast install my Card last week in a new TivoHD. It actually went pretty smooth. The installer showed up on time (actually called twice during the day to let me know his scheduled). He had never seen a Tivo before, but had done card installs in TVs before. He handed me the first card to put in and I saw it was an M-Card. After calling in the information, it came right on with no trouble.

He wanted to put the second card in and I had a bit of trouble explaining what an M-Card was (and neither did the folks on the phone he was talking to), but I eventually convinced him that S Cards and M Cards were different.

I suppose I got lucky, now I'm awaiting my first bill. I saw something along the lines of "HDTV Equipment Fee" on my installation invoice, so I'm sure I'm going to have to fight to get the correct charges....which if I've read everyone else's story correctly, it should just be the Additional Outlet Fee added on since it is a new TV and connection with Comcast. They did confirm that the first card was free.

-Chris
blickley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #4625
morrowc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStar View Post
I'm stuck in the exact same position you are in Maryland, with a cancelled appointment and a 'waiting list'. I'm getting seriously fed up with Comcast. Next step for me will be to hit the BBB if I can't get some resolution soon. It may not actually do any good, but it'll sure make me feel better!
As a note, if you send something through the BBB the company is obligated to reply to you and deal with the situation, else the BBB marks them down in their grading scale. I recall that the BBB will even follow-up with you about the actions taken and whether or not you received proper resolution.

So, I am planning on, if the install doesn't work out, talking to the FCC and BBB. I'm just tired of the BS from comcast/vz/blah...

-Chris
morrowc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #4626
bizzy

Don't imagine the BBB as some sort of consumer magic bullet. The BBB is a trade association, and all its members are businesses. The organization exists to pacify consumers and give them the illusion of some sort of industry oversight. Occasionally they will perform some perfunctory work in order to perpetuate that illusion, especially in cases where a BBB member has violated the law and possibly exposed both the BBB and themselves to litigation.

Other than that, expect the same sort of runaround and BS from the BBB that you get from your cable company.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #4627
morrowc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
Don't imagine the BBB as some sort of consumer magic bullet. The BBB is a trade association, and all its members are businesses. The organization exists to pacify consumers and give them the illusion of some sort of industry oversight. Occasionally they will perform some perfunctory work in order to perpetuate that illusion, especially in cases where a BBB member has violated the law and possibly exposed both the BBB and themselves to litigation.

Other than that, expect the same sort of runaround and BS from the BBB that you get from your cable company.
Thank you for the crushing optimism ... I do know that for one instance Compaq (it was a while ago) did do the 'right thing' for a friend of mine. I was hoping that it might matter in this set of cases as well. There are few options for the consumer (of cable-tv) so using whatever hammers are available seems like an option.

-Chris
morrowc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #4628
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
As did mine, installation was a snap. Just run Guided Setup before the cable guy arrives, then all he has to do is install the card (tell them when you schedule the appt that you want one M card, not two S's) and call in the pairing info. Took about 20 minutes.
WIll the guided setup run if I don't yet have Comcast? I will most likely still have DirecTV when I get the TiVO HD, and will be having Comcast installed at the same time they bring the card(s).
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #4629
mrlogical

Comcast Arlington, VA Cablecard Tips

I recently received a Tivo HD, so I scheduled an appointment with Comcast for the cablecard install to take place on 12/28. Although I received a call that morning confirming the appointment time, I got another call from Comcast maybe 10 minutes later telling me that they were all out of cablecards. They said they weren't sure when they'd have them in stock, but suggested making an appointment for the following week in hopes that they'd be able to at that time. I was not pleased with this development (I'd made the appointment for the installation about 2 weeks before and would have expected they'd be sure to have some for me), but agreed to set up an appointment for this Saturday. Three questions for the people out there:

1--Do I have any recourse if they again call me on Saturday to tell me they have no Cablecards? Would it be helpful for me to make noises about filing complaints with the FCC and such? Have other people experienced similar delays and if so, how quickly were they resolved?

2--If they do show up with cablecards, are there any particular things I should be aware of to make sure the process goes smoothly? Is it important if I get an S vs. an M Cablecard, for example? Is the process of verifying whether the install was successful relatively straightforward for a person who is generally quite tech-literate but has no tivo experience?

3--What, if anything, can I do with my Tivo HD until I get the Cablecards? I plugged it in to do any software updates required the day before I thought I'd be receiving the Cablecards (so of course, my tivo contract has started but thanks to Comcast, I'm not getting anything out of it yet).

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
mrlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #4630
jlee301

I was wondering if there was a way to force the "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information" on my TiVo Series3? Or is it the only way to do this is to have Comcast "hit" the cable cards?

On the TiVoHD, it appears to go into the "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information" everytime I do a reboot on the system and then attempt to watch LiveTV right afterwards.
jlee301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #4631
BanditWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlogical View Post
3--What, if anything, can I do with my Tivo HD until I get the Cablecards? I plugged it in to do any software updates required the day before I thought I'd be receiving the Cablecards (so of course, my tivo contract has started but thanks to Comcast, I'm not getting anything out of it yet).
As you mentioned, getting the latest software update is a good idea. Other than that, you can do what I'm doing while I wait for a functioning cablecard setup -- plug in the coax and use it like a dual-tuner Series2. In other words, watch and record analog cable on it.

As for my continuing CableCard saga, the Comcast tech missed my second installation appointment today -- so I just called back and rescheduled for Saturday from 1pm to 5pm. And the wait continues.
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #4632
kwik5

Need Knowledgeable Atlanta Comcast Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Find someone in your area that had a successful install. Use this thread to help you. They need to get you the tech # from the work order of the tech that came out. Then you need to specifically request that tech come out when you schedule your appointment with the CSR. Otherwise you can continue to take a gamble with your appointments. My 3rd appointment is tomorrow and I'm already tired of playing this game with Comcast.
Hi DevX,

Would you mind sharing your comcast tech ID and/or phone number? I picked up an M Card today and called Comcast twice with no luck.

Thanks,

kwik5
kwik5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #4633
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwik5 View Post
Hi DevX,

Would you mind sharing your comcast tech ID and/or phone number? I picked up an M Card today and called Comcast twice with no luck.

Thanks,

kwik5
You really don't need a tech if you were able to pick the MCard up. All you need to do is get in contact with someone from provisioning to pair your card and Tivo. If a tech comes out, I'm sure they'll charge you an installation fee. I know the CSR's are rough though and navigating Comcast's web is hard so if it comes to that you can try Tech #2025 or another user robert coats was also nice enough to post the ID of his tech, Tech # 5127.
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #4634
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlogical View Post
1--Do I have any recourse if they again call me on Saturday to tell me they have no Cablecards? Would it be helpful for me to make noises about filing complaints with the FCC and such? Have other people experienced similar delays and if so, how quickly were they resolved?

2--If they do show up with cablecards, are there any particular things I should be aware of to make sure the process goes smoothly? Is it important if I get an S vs. an M Cablecard, for example? Is the process of verifying whether the install was successful relatively straightforward for a person who is generally quite tech-literate but has no tivo experience?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
1. You can complain but I don't know how much it would do. I don't think Comcast expected the demand for Cablecards to be as high as it is. That plus an amazing failure rate for the cards has waitlisted some areas. Even more unfortunate is that the CSR's have NO information about the warehouse and cannot even tell for sure when the cards will be in or if there are any currently present in the warehouse.

2. The "Instructions for Cable installers" sheet that comes with your new Tivo HD is a good start. Even if your installer refuses to use it, you can follow along with the installation using that guide. But in general make sure the Tivo is already upgraded to the latest software release. Since you have a Tivo HD go for the Mcard if he brings them otherwise you need 2 Scards. As long as the Mcard is recognized as an Mcard and fully works you don't need to install any other cablecards. You can hit Live TV after the pairing and wait for the "please wait...acquiring channels" screen to go away and your channels to come up. Tivo will ask but you don't have to rerun guided setup right now, it can be done after the tech leaves. The hit from Comcast should take about 5-15 minutes to go through depending on the rep doing it. If everything goes smooth with the pairing and you can see channels, make sure to test every category of your subscribed channels (digital, premium, HD, tier packages, etc.) and then make sure to hit Live TV again to switch to the second tuner and check the channels again.

3. You can still use it to watch all your analog channels and test out functionality, get used to the interface, etc. since you mentioned that Tivo is new to you. The only difference cablecards will make is give you access to digital, premium, and HD channels, otherwise the functionality is the same.
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #4635
johnnylundy

Quote:
You will likely lose authorization for the devices where they removed the AO fees. Good luck.
Well, yes indeed, the tuner for card 2 is now not getting most of the channels above 30.

Can you tell me more about this? If I call and have the cards hit again, will that automatically re-instate the incorrect A/O fee?

Obviously if I had an M-card there would be no extra charge at all, correct? I wonder why they don't realize this..
johnnylundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #4636
Brad Bishop

Quote:

Yeah - the BBB is one of those things that's pointed to after the fact as if it makes any difference.

Really, has anyone gone to the BBB -beforehand- to find out how a business operates/treats it's customers? I never have.

People will go to the BBB afterwards and complain but if the company doesn't resolve it to the satisfaction of the consumer and the BBB 'marks them down' for it, well, so what? No one checks with them -anyway-.
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #4637
dhoward

I held off getting an HD Tivo for the longest time due to reading all the horror stories in this forum. Even though I knew that for the most part very few success stories are ever posted and the results were probably skewed. I finally got one for Christmas. I called Comcast last Saturday to setup an appointment. They scheduled today for between 11:00am to 1:00pm. The tech was here promptly at 11:00am. He said he had done several HD Tivos and was very pleasant. Unlike other visits by Comcast. When I setup the appointment the CSR said they did not have any M cards but this gentlemen came with 2 and said that is all they use now. In 1/2 hour he was done and I had all my channels. I just had to re-run guided setup after he left. I cannot believe how smooth this went. Now I just have to be sure of the billing. Especially since Comcast is raising the rates, again, in the feb billing cycle.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #4638
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
When I setup the appointment the CSR said they did not have any M cards but this gentlemen came with 2 and said that is all they use now.
That is exactly what the tech I had told me, that they only use M-Cards now.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #4639
mrbigbusiness197

Well, I just got off the phone with comcast (again). wait, let me start at the beginning.
Bought my HD Tivo on 12/27, called Comcast and they were out at my house on 12/28 to install the cablecard (M card). The tech was great, showed up during the given window, and sort-of knew what to do with the cablecard and Tivo. He plugged it in, called in the magic numbers to dispatch, and then Tivo said - re-run guided setup. Since it was new year's eve, and I know that the guided setup takes 30+ minutes, I told him it looked great and to take off, which he promptly did.
After guided setup was done.....uh, oh. no encrypted channels. I call comcast, and they scheduled and appointment for the next day. Same tech comes out, he swaps in new (S card) cablecards, and waits around during guided setup (I didn't know this was unnecessary) and lo and behold, same exact thing. he dorks around loking at screens for a while, then waits on hold with the people in the head office, they aren't much help. He basically says he needs to escalate the problem, then leaves.
I call the 800 number the next day, talk to somebody who was completely clueless, and can't even bother to read my open trouble/install ticket. 3rd visit scheduled for 12/31.
12/31 - different tech shows up, and he knows his cableCARD stuff. He puts in a new Mcard, then says - "Well, robert isn't in today in the head end, and he's the guy that knows how to get them working, so I'll call you back on Wed. and make sure we get this all sorted out with him." Great, I think, I've found the right person to work with.
Sadly, he never calls back, so I call the 800 number and ask the clueless person to have the tech call me, and they tell me they'll open a ticket, etc.
I call back today (obviously they're not fond of calling me) and was just told that "Our cablecards don't work with the new Tivos. Our higher-ups are working on it, but I don't know when they will have a solution." This is after she asked me if my Tivo was a Scientific Atlanta box. (uhhh...no) I was told that they'll just downgrade my seervice and not charge me for the premium channels since I can't get them. Judging by past performance, this means that they'll cut off my internet, too, so I offer to use a cable box till they get the problem fixed.
GAH!!! I really wanted this to work, and I've already pre-paid for a year of Tivo service! I guess I'll have fun getting that refunded.

This is in fauquier county, VA, by the way, where comcast recently bought out adelphia.
mrbigbusiness197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #4640
draccius3099

I'm having trouble in Arlington, VA, too. I just got cable installed today, but I simply cannot stand the Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR. So, I decided to get a TiVo and called Comcast to have another installation, but the CSR told me also told me that "their cards don't work with the new TiVo's." I really don't know what to do. This is SO frustrating!
draccius3099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #4641
draccius3099

Well, as a quick follow up, I just got a call from a "manager" from Arlington Comcast, and she told me that the problem in this area is that they use Scientific Atlanta cable cards and apparently those are not compatible with the new TiVos, but there is a work ticket or something on resolving this within the next few months...
Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #4642
BanditWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by draccius3099 View Post
the problem in this area is that they use Scientific Atlanta cable cards and apparently those are not compatible with the new TiVos...
Not in general; I had one SA card working 100% in my TiVo HD, at least until the dummy in billing accidentally deleted it from my account. I know that there are others here using SA cards on a Comcast cable connection without incident. Could be something specific to your area's equipment, or it could be BS.
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #4643
marvin4

I leave in the Atlantic city area and Comcast is supposed to receive new cards on 1/4/08
to correct the problem with series 3 tivo and the Motorola cable cards.
marvin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #4644
rader023

My cablecard story:

Easy Installation. Went to the Lynnwood,WA comcast cable store and picked up and M-card. Went home and called Comcast customer services. 3 minute wait. Talked to the rep, she said her last call was for a Tivo (3 or HD). And they have gotten tons of TiVo calls after xmas. She stated that her last install had some problems, but she had a full script in front of her, knew the steps, knew what the Tivo HD would say. 3 minutes later, after aquiring info on the tivo step, I'm watching HD again.

So at least in my area of Washington, not too bad. Hope others have smooth installs. Glad to have a TiVo!
rader023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #4645
draccius3099

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditWS6 View Post
Not in general; I had one SA card working 100% in my TiVo HD, at least until the dummy in billing accidentally deleted it from my account. I know that there are others here using SA cards on a Comcast cable connection without incident. Could be something specific to your area's equipment, or it could be BS.
My gut says BS, but that could be due to the fact that I have had nothing but bad run-ins with Comcast today. If I could go Dish, I would. Stupid condo!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #4646
JHeavner

I had a lot of problems getting my card installed several weeks ago but after 3 visits and way too many phone calls my service is serviceable. The problem I'm having is they are charging me $20 for a single M-card. Anyone else get a price like that? I was told it was $11.95 for digital service and $7.95 for HD. I'm in Arlington VA.
JHeavner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #4647
KraziJoe
What? Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHeavner View Post
I had a lot of problems getting my card installed several weeks ago but after 3 visits and way too many phone calls my service is serviceable. The problem I'm having is they are charging me $20 for a single M-card. Anyone else get a price like that? I was told it was $11.95 for digital service and $7.95 for HD. I'm in Arlington VA.
IF YOU Have a basic package then you do not need a cable card. If you get HBO, SHotime etc, then you will need digital service and a cable card.
If you want the HD package then you will need to pay the 7.95 and still need a cable card. The kicker is you only need to pay that ONCE. You stated you had a couple of boxes in the other thread so you will only need to pay an additional outlet charge and the cable card fee, which might be $0 if you get 1M card or $2-$3 for 2 S Cards.
You will NOT have to pay the extra $20 again.
KraziJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #4648
MarkHolbrook
TiVo wannabe

I decided to get a multi-stream cable card for my new TiVo HD. I called Comcast Denver/Fort Collins and they set the appointment up. Cable card was no cost and to save on the $14.95 install fee I opted for the $1 per month service support. I figure in 14 months I can cancel it.

The installer arrived on time with a brand new multi-stream card. Installed it. The TiVo saw it. He called Comcast and got it paired. However we were not getting digital channels.

Turned out that my TV amp had stopped working and the signal to location where the TV was, was terrible. Good enough for analog but he said the cable cards are often very picky.

I ended buying the Comcast amp to get up and running at $14.95. It did seem to improve the signal/TV quality on the other places.

Tivo downloaded the new channel line up and everything is great except I now have too many channels to choose from!!! :-)
MarkHolbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #4649
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Question,

I only have the lifeline package $10/mo but I also receive the clear QAM channels. I want to have CCs installed so I can easily set-up SPs on the QAM channels (as opposed to doing manual recordings).

I know one of othe steps is to check a premium channel to make sure the card is decrypting properly. However, I don't normally receive encrypted channels. Is there someething I can still check to ensure the card is completely functioning properly (i.e., what id I decide to upgrade my package)? I guess as long as I see what I see now then I can not worry about it until the time when I do upgrade, if I ever do.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #4650
Hubbins

I'm in Chicago, near NW side. I bought a Series-3 about a year ago and had a total installation failure with Comcast. Usual story. Nobody on either end knew what was going on. I stuck with the HD DVR for the last year. I noticed Costco had the TivoHD and figured I'd try again, given their liberal return policy. I was hoping enough people had done this in the last year that they might have a better handle on it now.

A tech arrived last Monday with a cablecard in hand, he said he had done this before. He called in with the host and data numbers and was told the card was "already provisioned". Which meant it "belonged" to another user. He said there was nothing he could do. I decided to give them one more chance and rescheduled for Friday (today). The tech arrived with no cablecards, but an HD box, which I already have. The work order was completely wrong, not his fault. I complained, he made some calls, he was very helpful, and arrived back a couple hours later with a multistream card. We plugged it in, he called and read the numbers, as I listened, and a few minutes later, everything is working fine.

I posted about my pain a year ago, I figured it's fair to post with a success story.
Hubbins is offline   Reply With Quote