TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #4591
grendell

Here's my experience.

I am in Puyallup, WA. I called on 12/27 and got an appointment for 12/28. The installer showed up and I showed him what I needed. I wanted an Mcard installed in the HD TiVo and an S card in the TV. I could tell that it could be a long day since the installer admitted that he hadn't done many of these and the ones that he had installed weren't successful. They actually ended up sending 2 techs to my house but neither of them had much experience with CC installs.

The card for the TV went in fine and was authorized quickly. Then the supervisor that the tech was talking to indicated that they had another customer getting CC installed as well and they were having problems with the MCard in the TiVo. So, she suggested to my tech that they use 2 SCards instead. She also said that if they did that then I wouldn't need the one in the TV. ??? I knew that wasn't right, but I had to let them go through the motions. They got 2 Scards working in the TiVo but then I couldn't get encrypted channels on my TV without watching them through the TiVo. Surprise! They couldn't understand why I wanted another card in the TV. I finally convinced them why it was needed and the tech talked to another person on the phone that seemed to be a little more knowledgeable. He had the tech put the Scard back into the TV and then put the Mcard (Motorola) in the TiVo like I had hoped would work in the first place. Everything came up and authorized the first time without any issues.

I was prepared ahead of time from all of the wealth of information on this forum. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

Eric
grendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #4592
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasay View Post
The magic word is initialize. There are four levels of signals. I forget what the most basic level is, but after that there are "soft hit," "hit," and "initialize," which supposedly covers the same as the other three plus some secret power ingredient.

But what I want to know is, has ANYONE been able to get Comcast cable cards to work with their TiVo? I bought Series 2 and finally gave up and had Comcast bring back an HD box and take their mCard away. Of course it doesn't work with the TiVo, which is going back, I guess.
There are lots of success stories. I have 2 S3s, one running with S-cards and the other with M-cards. They're Motorola. Neither install went smoothly, but with enough persistence (aka not letting the guy go until things worked), they've been up and trouble-free for the most part.

You really have to stand your ground and know what the diagnostic screens mean, because the Comcast guy probably won't have a clue. The last guy I had was pretty mad I wouldn't let him leave until he got the 2nd card working, he flipped through the channels and saw that the premium channels worked and thought he was done. Using the "test channels" function for card #2, I showed him he wasn't finished. He spent a lot of time swapping cards in and out almost at random, and that really screwed things up because the Data number changes when that is done with the Tivo powered up.

It finally took me pointing out that the numbers he had written down at the start were not the numbers on the screen. Once he re-read all the numbers to the agent on the phone, things worked like a charm. The installer didn't want to listen to what I wanted to tell him, so it took quite a while.

As bad as this experience was, it was worse for the 1st one, a year ago...

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #4593
BanditWS6

Gregor, I appreciate your input. I've never even seen a CableCard until this past week, during my first install. That experience, combined with the wealth of information on this forum and playing around with the CC diagnostic screens, makes me feel a lot more confident about what I expect to see when the next tech arrives to (hopefully) finish this all up.

And I'm sure not letting this guy out of my sight until everything works as it should...
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #4594
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasay View Post
But what I want to know is, has ANYONE been able to get Comcast cable cards to work with their TiVo?
Two Series 3 TiVos, one with two S-Cards and one with two M-Cards. All four tuners work fine. Although, Comcast initially screwed up and crossed up the pairing on the two units.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #4595
dathing

Angry No Maryland Cablecards

Update: They won't allow me to schedule an appointment or get on a waiting list for CableCard. The best they can offer: I should call back every few days / weeks / months and go through the 15-20 minute process it takes for them to determine that they don't have any cablecards.

I asked the TIVO folks about any known legal requirements for Comcast to provide a cablecard, and the answer is essentially so long as they don't refuse, there is nothing to prevent them from dragging their feet for weeks, months or even years in delivering one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathing View Post
I contacted Comcast to check on ordering cablecards for a new Tivo HD. I'm in the Carroll County franchise area of Maryland. They told me that they didn't have any. Nor did they have any idea of when they might get some. I asked if it typically takes days, weeks, months or years before availability. He had no idea. Try again later in the year. They would not accept my order until they have cablecards in stock, so I can't even get on a waiting list.

Aren't they REQUIRED to provide cablecards?

dathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #4596
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Update: They won't allow me to schedule an appointment or get on a waiting list for CableCard. The best they can offer: I should call back every few days / weeks / months and go through the 15-20 minute process it takes for them to determine that they don't have any cablecards.

I asked the TIVO folks about any known legal requirements for Comcast to provide a cablecard, and the answer is essentially so long as they don't refuse, there is nothing to prevent them from dragging their feet for weeks, months or even years in delivering one.
Yes it's a pain. But it works. Write a letter to Comcast's corporate offices in Philadelphia complaining about this and asking them to help you resolve it. They'll get CableCARDs to the local office (or explain to them where they actually already can be found) and get someone with more than a pea-pod sized brain to install them, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:15 PM   #4597
Marshella

Angry

I can see that - there being no legal requirement to provide them - its a simple matter of getting the service you need the card - or thier cable box.
I'm surprised that they've now seemed to abandon the "waiting list". What I'm now waiting to see is if, since I had requested the service changes back in late November (and the resulting screw-up of my comcast supplied DVR service through an obvious ill-managed account), IF my next bill will show/charge me for things I don't yet have - i.e. the cablecards.

Marshella

Quote:

Marshella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:11 AM   #4598
iamwhoiam

So Tech visit number 6 is here and he has a few cable cards, but now the problem seems to be the cable cards wont stay on my account so that i can be active. We sat through the whole download of all the segments for the card to deactivate its self. They keep saying that the card is ilogical so they come back and say the card is on the account it finishes downloading then it stops working. He calls dispatch and no card. So i don't know what to do with these people this is just horrible. The tech keeps saying that whenever a cable card install comes around the techs call off. and he is like i should have called off as well. I mean come on if this is the way this company is run it needs to go down. Now i am afraid that it will not be working and that i am going to have to go through this again. Does anyone have some kind of corporate number for comcast? i just cant take this anymore. Tech is still here i will update you in a moment.
iamwhoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #4599
RadMac

Comcast Miami

Old Adelphia is sure looking good now that I have to deal with Comcast.

As reported for Miami, if you have a single S3 Tivo with two cablecards, they charge you two HD fees and an additional outlet fee even though it is one device and their published policy says otherwise. I have asked for their pricing documents regarding this and they will not provide anything. Has anyone had any success mitigating these excess fees?

Second Issue - Since I activated HD service a couple months ago, every show is broadcast as protected, even the non-HD local channels. In a chat with one of the pleasant Comcast staff, I was told that all material is copyrighted and I am not allowed to try and copy any of it. Does anyone in Miami or specifically the Comcast Redlands area have this issue as well or is it just the way the programmed me?

Doesn't seem that anyone has jurisdiction over them anymore.

Last edited by RadMac : 12-30-2007 at 10:29 AM.
RadMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:03 AM   #4600
iamwhoiam

ok so the card is in and active but i still cant get my damn premium channels to show up. i looked at the tivo website and it says something like your card is not paired with the port. How the hell do i tell comcast this. I get everything but them damn premium channels.

We have verfied everything with the tech as far as host data and cable card id and still its not working. I dont know what else to do. I really dont feel like getting another tech here this is just crazy

UPDATE: They where putting in the wrong data value information... This is why it would not pair. now i have a V next to Val which means all channels are working now w00t!!!!
Now lets hope that when my other 2 tivos come in this will not happen again.

Last edited by iamwhoiam : 12-30-2007 at 11:15 AM.
iamwhoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #4601
johnnylundy

Quote:
As reported for Miami, if you have a single S3 Tivo with two cablecards, they charge you two HD fees and an additional outlet fee even though it is one device and their published policy says otherwise. I have asked for their pricing documents regarding this and they will not provide anything. Has anyone had any success mitigating these excess fees?
Yes. I just got off chat with Comcast and they removed the last 4 months of the "A/O" fee and promised that it was removed from future billings.

I was not being charged for 2 HD fees - that also is an error.

Try the online chat and if that does not succeed then contact your regional VP by email. I have always had success with the regional VP - I just say is there anything that can be done about this and I get results.
johnnylundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #4602
bizzy

You will likely lose authorization for the devices where they removed the AO fees. Good luck.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #4603
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
You will likely lose authorization for the devices where they removed the AO fees. Good luck.
That's what happened when they tried it on my account. Lately, they've been charging the A/O fee and then refunding it. That works.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #4604
bizzy

When I had the "free" STB, I dreaded the monthly $18 phone call. Eventually I gave up and returned the STB. Their loss; I can live without their OnDemand stuff.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:29 PM   #4605
RareSanity

I actually picked up two S cards (Motorola, Red Label) from the local Comcast office. Brought them home and plugged them into my new THD. When I plugged the first one in it worked almost immediately, I called Comcast and asked the CS to send a "cold init", next thing you know, BAM! NFL Network starts working.

The second one did not work, there was an error shown when I tried to display the pairing information. So I took it back to Comcast and they said that they were out of cards. But, the wonderful young lady CSR asked one of the other employees when they might be getting more in, he said that day later in the afternoon. She had me write down my number, and that I wanted either an S or M card if they came it. Now, I fully expect not to get a call because of all of the horror customer service stories.

But, lo and behold, she called me back at about 6:00 pm that night and said that they received the cards and asked if I still wanted one. I asked if she had S or M cards, she responded "S, only." I then I said "Can I get two in case one doesn't work?" She said sure, and I told her I would be in first thing the next morning.

Arrived the next morning, she had two S cards taped together with my name on them...Holy Cow! She was great! Took the cards home, and the first one I put in worked, after the "cold init" encrypted channels showed up. No restarts, no muss, no fuss.

Anyway, just wanted to pass on a success story in dealing with Comcast. I mean it's only fair, right?

I would recommend, if at all possible, to pick up CCs because they are "activated" once the CSR enters the serial number into the computer. Then you just need the "init" after you install it to get the encrypted channels to come through. I know every office won't let you pick them up, guess I'm just a little lucky.

BTW, this is in the Atlanta area.
RareSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:15 AM   #4606
Devx

Update

Thanks for replying with the Tech # Robert. Luckily I won't need it this time around.

The 3rd tech roll worked for me last Friday (12/28). My appointment was for 2-4p but the guy called me at 8 in the morning to let me know he could come early if I was going to be there. Being that I was on the way to work I told him I could do 12 (I was taking a half day) and I'd give him a call then to confirm. I called him at 12 like I said, he was already in the area and said he'd be there in 5 min. The guy showed up with 2 Motorola M cards, told me that we'd give them a try since Comcast told him they "didn't do M cards." I had the Tivo CableCard install guide waiting for him but he said he didn't need it since he had already done a few of the Tivo HD installs. I followed along using the guide anyway to make sure he didn't miss any steps.

He was literate w/ at least decent eyesight, and was able to read the numbers and letters off the card correctly. The dispatch apparently was also able to read and type and knew which fields to put the data in. (sorry, I had to put that jab in there since there are way too much errors on this part ). But all joking aside, the installer and dispatch were very competent and professional. The entire process was very smooth and once dispatch sent the hit, the Tivo was able to acquire the channel about 5-10 minutes after that. The first card worked, there was no need to try the second card. The installer tested all my key channels that he could but one step he missed was testing both tuners. I caught him on that and he waited while I tested the other tuner. From the time he arrived, it took all of 40 minutes to do the entire thing and that includes him walking back to the truck to get me an updated channel guide. On a normal workday, I could have done it on my lunchbreak.

I didn't rerun guided setup with him there. Tivo asked but he declined before I could comment. I reran it immediately after he left though and all is well. It wasn't even necessary to restart Tivo and I never got any error codes, good or bad.

He gave me his card and #. I told him I would be giving him a call early next year when I get my next HD set and Tivo. He even told me once I made the appointment and got the work order assigned he could bump it up. I couldn't believe my ears coming from Comcast.

Just a little light at the end of the tunnel for you guys having trouble. I know how hard it can seem when it's not working but when done right, it's unbelievably easy.
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:31 AM   #4607
Marshella

Harumpf - sounds like I need to move to Atlanta! Nice weather must mean nicer people, too? Anyway, so glad *someone* is getting good results and great customer service!

Marshella
Marshella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #4608
adm1rab

Comcast Atlanta

Already had one CC in the TV and just got Series 3. I moved the CC from the TV to the Series 3 unit before powering up and went through the setup with no issues and everything is working fine.

Called 1-800 Comcast this morning and was told no charge for both CC's (although I have one HD DVR and one regular digital box from them). I called back but this time I called the Atlanta number (404-comcast) and talked to Gary (props) which informed me I can turn in the HD DVR and have them remove the HD package (~$5.95) from the bill. Appt is setup to "install" the 2nd card.

I will get the 2nd card working in the Series 3 before making any changes to the account.
adm1rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #4609
oldradio99

Decided to go purchase my HD but decided to stop by Comcast office first (Romeoville IL).

Was told will not allow self install. Period. No pick up of cards.

Called 800 # was this time was told no self install, that it is up to local office. Asked by Carpenterville, etc allowed pick up and got no answer.

I hate Comcast

Last edited by oldradio99 : 12-31-2007 at 01:08 PM.
oldradio99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:39 PM   #4610
RareSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshella View Post
Harumpf - sounds like I need to move to Atlanta! Nice weather must mean nicer people, too? Anyway, so glad *someone* is getting good results and great customer service!

Marshella

Maybe it's the abundant, readily available supply of sweetened iced tea?
RareSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #4611
oldradio99

Has anyone ever seen this before on the Comcast site?

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2658

Last edited by oldradio99 : 12-31-2007 at 02:00 PM.
oldradio99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #4612
BanditWS6

Well, I figured out why CableCard 1 stopped working. When the trigger-happy CSR deleted it from my account accidentally, and then added it back, it caused the card to generate a new card ID. So the old card ID / host ID pair that was in the system was no longer correct.

Today I got a hold of the magic person at Comcast who is responsible for CableCard setup and initialization. Unfortunately, even after I gave her all of the pertinent info, she said that the system was not allowing her to update any of the information. It looks like since the card ID has changed, the card is going to have to be replaced with a new, unactivated one, because Comcast won't let the techs update that data. Seems like I read something to that effect here on this site recently. Either that or she wasn't doing it right. She did ask me for the Data ID, which I don't have because these are Scientific Atlanta cards.

So I have a tech coming on Wednesday who is bringing two new S-cards and is basically going to repeat the whole installation from scratch.

Is there anything I should do before he comes in and replaces both cards, like Clear & Delete Everything or some such thing? Or can we just pop out the old ones, then immediately install the new ones (one at a time, of course) and proceed to set them up?

Last edited by BanditWS6 : 12-31-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #4613
conky_0

First attempt today

MA north of Boston
Just got my Tivo HD, called and set-up appointment for tech 3 day wait not too bad. Call sched between 1 and 3, tech shows up at 11:30, has no idea why he's here I explain I have thd and need either one m card or 2 s cards, which he doesn't have.
He makes a call, and says he'll be back. Half hour later he shows up explaining that this won't work because my TV doesn't have a card slot and you need 1 card for the THD and one for the TV so that they can communicate, at this point I realize this guy has no clue what he's doing. I explain that there is no need for a card in the TV, and it will work with the Tivo. Again he tells me he'll be back and off he goes. My phone rings about 15 min later, it's the tech telling me that because I bought the Tivo on my own Comcast will not support it. I ask to speak to his supervisor and he instructs me to call Comcast. I call and after being on hold and dealing with 2 different reps I am told that another Tech will be out shortly.
15 min later I have the original tech, along with 2 other techs in my living room.
They install the first s card and don't know that they have to call ACS to activate the card so we are all waiting for the card to acquire Channels.
After 2 tries and about 45 min with ACS on the phone 1 restart of Tivo and a new splitter in the basement, we finally got the first card to work, so it's on to the second card which is DOA. None of the 3 techs have any more cards. So I have half my Tivo HD up and running with a promise that the tech will be out on Saturday with another card.

Compared to some of the horror stories I've read on this board I guess I'm doing ok

Last edited by conky_0 : 12-31-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Add Area in MA north of Boston
conky_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #4614
hybucket

It would really be helpful on these posts if the poster would indicate what area of the country he/she is dealing with.
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #4615
torner

Smile TiVo HD Takes 2 S-Cards in Adams County, PA

The Story: I purchased my HD direct so I could transfer my S2 lifetime. Comcast was right on time with the late afternoon Christmas Eve appointment. Tech brought M-Cards and S-Cards. He started with two S-Cards because that's what he was told he would need for a TiVo. I asked him to try an M-Card since the HD is documented to working with one M-Card. He tried multiple M-Cards for over an hour. At one point, he went on a search for filters/traps. He found two on the line. He tried the M-Card one last time with no luck. As he was ready to give up, I asked him to try an S-Card just for yucks. The S-Card worked great! The tech only had one working S-Card with him so he scheduled another visit to install the second card for the afternoon of 12/26. That appointment, with a different tech, was also right on time and took only a few minutes.

The Solution: The Gettysburg system was part of the Adelphia break-up. The system is, by technology standards, quite old, receiving few upgrades during the Adelphia years. I would have preferred to have a single M-Card to avoid the extra $2.00 per month. However, the second S-Card is an acceptable cost to have two tuners working on such a dilapidated cable system. The system is so behind, we won't likely see On Demand until some time in 2009.

Comcast: I cannot say enough good things about the first tech. He was nice and funny and patient. A real pro! We had some time to chat while waiting for the reboots and hits. Considering the day he had up to that point and the visit he still had to make that evening (Christmas Eve), I wouldn't have blamed him if he had given-up after a few minutes. He was ready and willing to learn more about TiVo and the differences between the S3 and HD. The second tech was a great guy, too. However, he was only on-site long enough to pop the second S-Card into the HD. Hopefully Comcast and Besy Buy will be in sync so I can get the $100 BB gift card for upgrading to HD at BB.

Last edited by torner : 12-31-2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail
torner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #4616
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditWS6 View Post
Well, I figured out why CableCard 1 stopped working. When the trigger-happy CSR deleted it from my account accidentally, and then added it back, it caused the card to generate a new card ID. So the old card ID / host ID pair that was in the system was no longer correct.

Today I got a hold of the magic person at Comcast who is responsible for CableCard setup and initialization. Unfortunately, even after I gave her all of the pertinent info, she said that the system was not allowing her to update any of the information. It looks like since the card ID has changed, the card is going to have to be replaced with a new, unactivated one, because Comcast won't let the techs update that data. Seems like I read something to that effect here on this site recently. Either that or she wasn't doing it right. She did ask me for the Data ID, which I don't have because these are Scientific Atlanta cards.

So I have a tech coming on Wednesday who is bringing two new S-cards and is basically going to repeat the whole installation from scratch.

Is there anything I should do before he comes in and replaces both cards, like Clear & Delete Everything or some such thing? Or can we just pop out the old ones, then immediately install the new ones (one at a time, of course) and proceed to set them up?
You can just pop out the old ones and install new cards. The Tivo will probably then prompt you to rerun guided setup. No need to clear and delete everything.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 PM   #4617
sgibbs33

Comcast.com sez....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldradio99 View Post
Has anyone ever seen this before on the Comcast site?

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2658
Yes, but it seems their corporate website info and policies don't always trickle down to the local franchise authorities. I don't know if that's because there are local regulations which supersede the national policies, or if it's because Comcast is a disorganized mess where its left hand doesn't know what the right hand is saying or doing.

Here's a handy list of links of what is (currently) posted on the Comcast.com website regarding TiVo Series 3 HD.

Comcast.com sez....
Does Comcast support the TiVo Series 3 HD set-top box?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=4152
Will Comcast provide me with CableCARDs for my TiVo Series 3 HD set-top box?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=4153
Can I install the CableCARD into my TiVo Series 3 HD by myself?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=4154
Can a Comcast technician assist in setting up my TiVo Series 3 HD set-top box?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=4155
If I didn't have to pay for my current CableCARD, why will I be charged for CableCARDs for my TiVo set-top box?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=4156
Can I access digital cable with CableCARDs on my TiVo Series 3 HD set-top box?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=4157
Do I need to have a CableCARD in order for TiVo Series 3 HD to work?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=4158
Why does my on-screen guide look different with my TiVo Series 3 HD than with a digital cable set-top box?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=4159

In summary, it says
  • You cannot do self-installs of Cablecards (although this forum has numerous people who've been allowed to do them)
  • A Tivo HD needs two Cablecards (this is not true if you can get a M-Card from Comcast. The Comcast.com website makes no mention of Singlestream vs. Multistream Cablecards. Some local markets have M-Cards, others don't).
  • Your first Cablecard is no additional charge since it is included in your existing 'primary outlet fee'. Getting a second card for the same outlet will cost an additional regulated fee of up to $1.91 per month. (this seems to confuse the local franchises the most. This forum has examples of people being charged all sorts of varying amounts. Again, if you can get your local franchise to give you an M-Card, then that should count as one CableCard in one Outlet. That's what I call 'no additional charge'.)
  • Comcast doesn't want their technicians standing around while you unpack your Tivo and set it up for the first time. (Best practice is to get your Tivo hooked up and running for several days before the Comcast technician shows up with the CableCards.)
  • Your TiVo will do everything and more than the Comcast provided DVR except for PayPerView. (TiVo's answer to PayPerView is the Amazon Unboxed service. It's not quite an apples-to-apples replacement. Some people say Amazon Unboxed is better.)

sgibbs33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #4618
swilcox

Albuquerque experience

Since the only other report from Albuquerque Comcast I can see on this thread was pretty dismal, I thought I'd report my experience.

I got a new Sony Bravia 40" HD, and a new Tivo HD (had a Series 2, and before that a Series 1). So I made my call to Albuquerque Comcast (via India, it seems) to schedule the Cablecard installation. The phone folks had no idea what a multistream vs. single stream card was, and insisted that two cards would be installed. Whatever...

Installer arrived on time today (1/1/2008), and I asked if he'd ever done a Tivo install before. He said he had, and that he brought me a multistream card because he found that they worked better. Yay!

He proceeded to install it, called the center to activate it, and that seemed to go well. But we couldn't get any digital channels, and only rebroadcast HD channels. He fiddled for a while, stayed online with the center, had them hit the card a couple more times. I was online with the tech support documents at Tivo and ready to help guide him through some diagnostics. The guy was good, didn't panic, and was clearly willing to take some assistance if it came to that.

After lots of attempts, several reboots of the Tivo, he decided to try a different card (he'd thought ahead and brought several). He did that, had them hit it again, and ... it worked!

I did the Guided Setup again, and all is well. The Tivo HD is a great little piece of equipment. I notice that it's slower to respond than my Series 2 (although the Series 2 went through a period after one software update where it was slow too, and a later update fixed that, so I'm holding out hope that a future update will resolve the interface slowness on the HD box too).

I'd watched HD for a week off of a Comcast (Scientific Atlantic) STB while I waited for the installer to come. So I was a bit nervous to see how the image would compare when piped through the Tivo. I see no difference. I'm watching the Rose Bowl right now, and the picture is simply stunning.

Bottom line: I'll give it up to the Albuquerque Comcast installer. He faced some problems, but he didn't give up, he approached it methodically, and ultimately he got me up and running (took about an hour and 15 minutes).
swilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #4619
BanditWS6

swilcox, thanks for your post -- it's always good to see the positive reports too, helps give the rest of us hope and something to strive for. I think it really just comes down to the individual skill and persistence of the tech on site, and the person s/he communicates with on the phone at the head-end.

So you are using a Scientific Atlanta M-card and it's working fine?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #4620
morrowc

legal requirements for cablecards

Quote:
So, at the least there is some commentary on the possible legal requirements for cablecards here:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/t...-fios-service/

with information direct from the FCC about this:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/plugandplaytv.html

and the FCC dtv site:

http://www.dtv.gov/

It seems that there is a requirement to keep the encryption/decryption separate from the basic decoding functions. That the decryption happens (on the tivo/non-set-top-box) in the CabelCard, and that while cablecard availability is 'required' there doesn't seem to be a timeline associated with their compliance (they could just wait you out saying they have none in stock or cancel installs... this is reminiscient of the telco/ilec/clec wars really).

I do hope that I have a better experience in Northern VA, but I'm not holding out hope based on my initial comcast customer service experiences... The phone rep stated that the only difference between analog and digital cable was the on-screen-guide, which doesn't seem right to me.

-Chris
morrowc is offline   Reply With Quote