TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #4561
Washizu

Here's a follow up to my earlier posts.

Comcast came out again tonight. This time they sent a Lead Tech from Comcast. He pulled my cable cards out and (surprise!) the card that wasn't working had "No Good" written on the label but someone had cross it out with a black marker. Doh! He replaced it with another single stream cable card and it seems to be working now. I still have "Waiting for CP Auth" on the new card but I get all my channels on it except HBO, which they are giving me free for six months because of all the failed CC installations. HBO works on card #2.

Also, the first thing he tried was installing a multistream card from Scientific Atlantic. These cards DO NOT WORK in TiVo HDs but they may work in Series 3 TiVos. If you have Comcast in an area that uses SA cards, especially South Jersey in Camden County, make sure they bring 2 or more single stream cards.

Overall, it's working 95% of the way so I'm pretty happy.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:15 PM   #4562
RNSAMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschirm View Post
My quick story from Ocean County NJ. Comcast was out yesterday and today. Yesterday they spent hours and could not get either card working. Today, first card is working, Second card is not. Had a different person today than yesterday. They are coming back out again tomorrow. Maybe third time will be a charm.
I had trouble with the second card. The second had a serial number starting in NG from Motorola. I had restarted the box, and did Guided setup and install for the second was fine on the second try. First card was Motorola starting in serial number MA.
RNSAMRN
Atlantic County, NJ
RNSAMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:28 PM   #4563
robert coats

Smile Karma or Luck?

Could not resist the HD TiVo/Lifetime offer, so bought the wife one for Xmas. Called Comcast (North Fulton/Atlanta) and was delighted when the rep told me the next appointment for a CableCARD install would be on December 24th "from 2-5."

Fast-forward three weeks, and I get a call at 1:00 pm. "Mr. Coats? Yeah, this is the Comcast installer? We're out of those Card Cable things. We'll call you back when we have 'em in stock." <click>

Over the past few months, my middle son has taught me a lot. He's very keen on recycling, and a number of garbage bags full of old plastic bottle have piled up in the garage. I decided to make an effort and took them to the recycling center. Afterward, I was sitting a a stoplight and recognized I was a scant block or two away from the Comcast office. I drove over and parked. There were a number of white Comcast vans in the parking lot. As I walked up to the front door, an obvious office-worker/manager type was walking out. We made eye contact and he said, "May I help you sir?"
"Yeah, I was looking for the customer service counter?"
"Oh, that office has moved over to Highway 9, near McDonald's."
"Okay, I know where that is. I need to find out about my CableCARD."
"CableCARD?"
"Yeah, I had an appointment to get two installed..."
"..in your HD TiVo?"
"...um, why yes. (clearly, I'd found an informed person here) The installer canceled my appointment and told me they were out for a while."
"No we're not. We don't have a lot of multi-stream cards, but plenty of singles."

"Come inside with me and we'll see what we can do. This is a dispatch service office now, but I think I can help you real quick."

Within seconds, he had my account up and then offered up this:
"How about tomorrow from 2 to 5?"
"Sold!"

The Next Day...

Installer guy shows up, has a stack of CableCARDS. Checks signal from the coax, and inserts a card...okay, here it goes....
"Errror 161"
He tries another...it works, and so does card #3 in slot 2. Soon we're looking at the data screens for the cards, dutifully reporting all kinds of alphanumeric stuff. Installer Guy pulls out the thickest PDA/Cell I'd ever seen, and gets another person on the phone. They chat a bit in binary code. The air becomes thick with tension, and then, "You need to run Guided Set-up again."

About 20 minutes later, and there is goodness to behold. The TiVo is working, the CableCARDS are working, and the installer, I can only guess, is happy he probably beat the flat rate for this job.

Kudos to the Comcast team...they did me right today.
robert coats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #4564
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert coats View Post
Kudos to the Comcast team...they did me right today.
Wow, that is definitely not the norm for Comcast. Can you help a fellow "Atlantian" out? I've already gotten a cancelled/no cards available, no call/no show, and I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow from 2-5 but my expectations are very low. I bought my THD early this month and I still have no cablecards after 3+ weeks of trying.

Do you happen to still have the work order that the installer got you to sign? I'd like his tech # to request him specifically if another appointment is needed. It seems that getting an informed installer makes all the difference. I'm not sure if he could even do this area, I'm in southeast cobb but south enough that I have an Atlanta address and zip. I suppose it depends on how far north you are (highway 9 isn't that far from me), it's worth a shot though.
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #4565
iamwhoiam

I Have been having the same problem with the sorry we are out of cards!! How are you out of cards i just don't understand this. I am going into my 6th visit. On the 4th i got 2 m cards i only put one in and nothing. on the 5th visit we got the cards to work but only for the digital channels all the copy right channels do not work. We provided the information 5 times and sent like 6 hits to the cards and still none of them work. I had the installer try the other card and still no copy righted channels. So now they are sending another person out here to bring me some more cards. I called Tivo customer care and they told me that the cards could be bad. I don't understand how that maybe the case as well when the cards are decoding all the other channels. Frankly i think it has all to do with Comcast but I don't know how to get a hold of someone that is actually smart and informed enough to fix it. Can anyone help out here?
iamwhoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:39 AM   #4566
Devx

Find someone in your area that had a successful install. Use this thread to help you. They need to get you the tech # from the work order of the tech that came out. Then you need to specifically request that tech come out when you schedule your appointment with the CSR. Otherwise you can continue to take a gamble with your appointments. My 3rd appointment is tomorrow and I'm already tired of playing this game with Comcast.
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:32 AM   #4567
yvovandoorn

Too bad you guys don't live in areas were self installs are allowed. I got a Motorola mcard for my Tivo HD and I only had maybe 10 minutes tops of my time talking to Comcast.
yvovandoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #4568
tenacious-c

Boston Comcast

Quick report:

I got the HD Tivo over Christmas, on Christmas day about 10PM, I went online, and requested a comcast appointment-they scheduled me for 5-7PM on 12/27!

Tech arrived an hour early, called to ask if he could start. He arrived with about 4 MCards, and plugged the first in-Tivo recognized it as a MultiStream card, and he went through the setup. He incorrectly assumed as it came up as being a "one-way card" that I needed 2 of them. So, he put in another MCard in slot 2. The Tivo again recognized the situation, and stated that the second MCard would be ignored-I pointed this out to him, but he proceeded anyway. Took about 30 minutes, he called in the numbers, and everything works perfectly. I did get that "good" error code once, but that was it. Other than that, everything works perfectly.

I have the tech's phone number in case anyone in Boston (I live in the Fenway) needs it, but it seems that MA at least has the Tivo/cable card thing down

Take care,

Sid
tenacious-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #4569
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious-c View Post
He incorrectly assumed as it came up as being a "one-way card" that I needed 2 of them. So, he put in another MCard in slot 2. The Tivo again recognized the situation, and stated that the second MCard would be ignored-I pointed this out to him, but he proceeded anyway.
If you don't want to pay for that second card in the form of an A/O (Additional Outlet)for $2.75/mo, you had better return it to Comcast. If they do not charge you, then no big deal. But, be warned, that the charge is most likely going to happen since it was issued to you.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #4570
robert coats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Wow, that is definitely not the norm for Comcast. Can you help a fellow "Atlantian" out? Do you happen to still have the work order that the installer got you to sign? I'd like his tech # to request him specifically if another appointment is needed.
The guy who came to the house is Tech # 5127, and I think his first name was Milan(?) but not sure of the spelling. He said he'd only done a few S3 CableCARD installs, and the biggest problem was bad cards, and he always tries to bring extras. Good thing!
robert coats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #4571
Barnabus

Angry Maryland Comcast

Our Comcast horror has just begun despite being as prepared as could be. We scheduled 2 weeks out to have a tech with at least 3-4 M cards arrive today. Verified 3 times appointment was good. Didn't get the TV till late yesterday and even expidited shipping in order to not lose our comcast appointment today, though a tech with cards showed up 2 days ago. He assured us he'd be back today. Just received a call that their are no M or S cards in all of Maryland and that they don't expect to recieve any for several weeks. I'm pretty sure that is not true and have been calling up and down the chain but they're sticking to this apparent lie. I'd gladly pick up a card and install myself but can't even get this. Anybody else in Maryland been able to get any M or S cards in the past couple days??? Anybody got any ideas on who to call to get this resolved? I can't imagine going 2-3 more weeks without especially after spending an additional $300 to expedite the TV's arrival for an appointment that was cancelled at the last minute. Thanks
Barnabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #4572
Dan Murphy

Yesterday I had a Comcast 'tech' come to house (after waiting 2 weeks for appointment) to do cable cards in an additional Series 3. I told CS it was a Tivo unit, needed two cards. I followed up with a confirming call 3 days after making the appt, it was written correctly. As an aside, CS said somebody had to be home who was 18 or older and spoke English. 'Tech' (independent contractor) shows up (no phone call saying he was on the way, as he is supposed to do), spoke some foreign language (actually English with a impossible to understand accent). I ask him if he knows how to do a Tivo unit, he says, 'No, but let see it'. He looks at the box, I ask him if he has two cable cards. He says he has no cable cards. He leaves. I rescheduled for January 7th.
Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #4573
Marshella

Arrow *BAD* Comcast Baltimore County CUSTOMER SERVICE -SUCKS!

Ok, we've been long time (as in decades long except for a few years we tried Dish service) Comcast Baltimore County subscribers - including the internet back when it was the "@home" service years ago. We've also had Tivo service for at least the last 5 or so years I'd estimate. Have owned now I think 4 different Tivo boxes and a couple Comcast provided DVRs as well (which PALE in comparison to the Tivos). About two years ago we bought our huge 46" HD Plasma TV.

SO - this is what has taken place for us just in the past month -

1) dear husband requests a HD Tivo as a holiday gift so that we can replace the stupid Hidef comcast supplied DVR box (which we've had problems with for the longest time and had to have replaced a few times in the two years or so that we've had it resulting in numerous lost recorded programs though no fault of our own).

2) I order a series3 HD tivo box Nov. 27th, online from Amazon, and then call Comcast because I feared that: a)they would be too busy right after the holidays to get a quick install appointment for the needed cablecards, and b) possibly a shortage of the cablecards due to the holiday demand being underestimated by Comcast - this last point of which appears to have occured.

3) When I call comcast (Nov. 27th) ,I get all the pricing details and order the change in service, VERIFIED that they DID IN FACT have the Cablecards and could/would install them at the latest possible install date closest to, yet just before, Xmas that they could pre-schedule - happened to be Friday the 21st. I opted to have them move my old DVR to another TV when they install the cablecards for the Tivo.

4) We didn't use the DVR after that until the following week - Monday the
3rd - my HUSBAND calls comcast. He is informed that we have a "standing work order" for the 21s - which of course he was not aware of yet because it was SUPPOSED to be a HOLIDAY SURPRISE! - I had to spill the beans and then talked to Comcast - had us reset, unplug etc, do a bunch of stuff, they "resent the signal", etc - ended up saying the box must have "died" and we scheduled a service appointment to replace it.

5) Saturday the 8th - Comcast technician arrived on time. He called comcast, couldn't get the DVR box working - despite doing everything we'd tried previosly. Replaed the DVR box w/a new one. Lo and behold, that didnt work, either. COME TO FIND OUT - that Comcast (when initiating the change over to the new anticipated line-up with the Tivo) aparently CUT OFF the service to our DVR! EVEN THOUGH they said the "signal/service was on the line/our account and working". (so here we were w/o HD reception or the DVR functions for a week, through no fault of our own).

6) Well we happened to have some work done on our utility pole in our front yard - they are moving the wires to set the pole back a few feet from the road in order to put in road improvemnts. The electric part was moved about 6 months ago, but just on Thursday the 20th aound 11 am - just as I'm leaving the house - a subcontractor shows up and starts working on the poles - movin the telephone and cable utils over to the new pole. BIG surprise when I get back home- ZIP NADA ZERO signal on my cable or my cable internet. I'm starting to freak out here because of the next days' scheduled install! So I call comcast (and Miss Utility, others trying to get the name of the LAME subcontractor who screwed up my service again), and Comcast says "oh, so sorry, we can't get out until next week after the holidays" I said it WON'T DO -and the customer service (regular cable) put me through to the "Internet service dept" in hopes they could help me sooner. SO, with their help after explaining the situation yet again - they said they would send out THEIR OWN comcast repair person employee (a "pole climber" I had inquired and they assured me yes) Friday just between 2 and 4 pm. WELL as it happens - the Tivo Comcast Subcontractor was scheduled (since Nov. 27th) to show up between 4 and 6 pm. OK, I thought this *may* work out if we have them show up first one earlier and second one later - so that we have service restored and then can set-up and update the Tivo box (wirelessly connected to our then cut-off internet service). As a precaution, that evening (Thurs.) we hooked up the Tivo and performed all the set-ups and updates that we could do).

7) Friday the 21st - BAD traffic due to the holidays and usual rush hour crap - and the 1st technician isn't able to show up until 4:15 PM. HMMM... climbs the ladder, replaces the broken and bent up connector and - voila- service is restored. He then leaves with our holiday tip and after telling us that he could have also put our cablecards in for us on the same trip - not understanding why we had to have two service calls back to back. We said that's OK, we still need to set up the Tivo anyway first and that could take awhile. 15 minutes later, at 4:30 pm - just as the 1st tech is leaving, second tech (from subcontractor) comes out and announces that he doesn't have any CABLECARDS- SAY WHAT? - we call and complain to comcast whilst he sits here on our sofa - OF course I had to ask him why didn't they call me ahead of time to let me know they didn't have the equipment to perform the job they were scheduled to do? - and he had no answer for me except to say he was also here to remove our old cable converter box (the one being replaced by their DVR in the upstairs TV). SO as I'm on the phone the comcast person on the line announces that she's just learned now that their "warehouses" have NO cablecards! WTF?! I had presumed that when I placed my call for service that at the bare minimum- as they'd told me they had them - two cards were being put aside for my service call -but NO - they went to someone else!! Ok, so not only did my cards go somewhere else but now they can't even tell me when they'll be in stock, but I can make another appointment for next week "in case they come in". Next appointment available? Friday the 28th (today) 2-4 pm.

8)TODAY - well they did one better than last week - Amtec (the subcontractor) actuall DID call me about 9 am to inform me they still did not have cablecards. :-( I called Comcast back - oh, lo and behold, they now have a "waiting list" they can ADD my name to and that they'll call me when the cards are available - but not before next week, of course. Now I'm left wondering - am I now at the BOTTOM of this list - even though I've technically been waiting since NOVEMBER - and WHEN will they get the dang cards in?

FRUSTRATED (oh, and did I mention having all this "fun" whilst being 8 months pregnant and dealing with the usual holiday stress to begin with?)!!!!!
Marshella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #4574
Barnabus

Wow! I thought Comcast was bad here in Crofton from the Millersville comcast office. They too just informed us that there is a waiting list and we're now at the bottom. That's exactly why we scheduled 2.5 weeks ago to ensure there would be cable cards available after the holiday rush. My wife has been calling everywhere in MD and gets the same answer - no cable cards. She just spoke to Baltimore county and said exactly what you just did. So much for being required by law to have CCs available.
Barnabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #4575
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldradio99 View Post
2. I was told on phone that first card is free but subsequent ones are $5.99 but I have a written price list that says extras are only $1.50
I'm in Naperville, not far from you. Here's how it works for me:

- First card on an outlet/device is free
- Second card in the same device is $1.50
- Additional cards in other devices will get you an "additional digital outlet" fee of $5.99

I have two S-Cards in a TiVo HD, and one S-Card in my Sony TV. I have the "T3DDVRCARDS" line item on my bill with a charge of $1.50, and an additional digital outlet fee of $5.99 for the S-Card in my Sony TV. It doesn't matter that these devices are on the same physical outlet; Comcast sees each piece of digital equipment as an "outlet" unless you can successfully convince them otherwise. (I tried to tell them this several times and failed. I give Comcast enough money every month as it is, so I'm about to return the card in my TV and save that $5.99/month.)

If you put two S-Cards in a TiVo, you will only get charged $1.50; the first card (first outlet) is "free" (included in your digital service). If you have any other digital boxes or other TVs with CableCARDs, you will get charged $5.99 for each of those, as they will be considered "additional outlets."
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #4576
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser View Post
I'm in Naperville, not far from you. Here's how it works for me:

- First card on an outlet/device is free
- Second card in the same device is $1.50
- Additional cards in other devices will get you an "additional digital outlet" fee of $5.99."
What we find (in my area) is that the A/O of $2.75 is also tied to the programming received for an additional tuner. For example, if you get two tuners, and the first outlet is included, the second outlet gives you the second tuner for premium services. If you ask the CSR to remove the $2.75 A/O, they will do that, and then you have no premium programming on the second tuner. So some have said, anyway. I never actually tested this and don't plan on it.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #4577
dathing

Thumbs down No Cablecards available from Comcast

I contacted Comcast to check on ordering cablecards for a new Tivo HD. I'm in the Carroll County franchise area of Maryland. They told me that they didn't have any. Nor did they have any idea of when they might get some. I asked if it typically takes days, weeks, months or years before availability. He had no idea. Try again later in the year. They would not accept my order until they have cablecards in stock, so I can't even get on a waiting list.

Aren't they REQUIRED to provide cablecards?
dathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #4578
BobB
Devout Tivonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
What we find (in my area) is that the A/O of $2.75 is also tied to the programming received for an additional tuner. For example, if you get two tuners, and the first outlet is included, the second outlet gives you the second tuner for premium services. If you ask the CSR to remove the $2.75 A/O, they will do that, and then you have no premium programming on the second tuner. So some have said, anyway. I never actually tested this and don't plan on it.
In my case (I have a TiVO HD with M card and also an HD cable box for the sake of getting On Demand programming), I complained about getting an A/O charge since they're both on the same TV. The CSR agreed to take the $2.75 charge off my bill, and two minutes later the M card went completely dead, no programs at all!

When I called tech support to complain, the tech rep (apparently better informed than CS) explained that it has nothing to do with how you're using the devices or what they're connected to, they simply charge extra for every device the provide you (box or card) after the first. How much they charge appears to vary by region.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #4579
mschirm

Smile RNSAMRN - Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSAMRN View Post
I had trouble with the second card. The second had a serial number starting in NG from Motorola. I had restarted the box, and did Guided setup and install for the second was fine on the second try. First card was Motorola starting in serial number MA.
RNSAMRN
Atlantic County, NJ
I followed your instructions and it finally worked. Thanks so much for the advice !!!!
mschirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #4580
Marshella

Well, I actually heard back from "Andre" a Supervisor at the call center. (YEAH! Finally some decent show of customer service) I'd spoke to him earlier today and he said he'd get back to me after seeing what he could do for me. I just got off the phone. He said that he tried to call the warehouse supervisors to get more information from them, but was unable to reach either of them but he did send them an email. He thinks they may not be available right now due to the holiday. So he promised to "set me up" as soon as he gets word from them (after the holidays) about the situation with the cablecards on order. I hope he keeps his word and does contact me again sometime later in the next week.

Marshella in Baltimore County, MD
Marshella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #4581
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious-c View Post
Quick report:

I got the HD Tivo over Christmas, on Christmas day about 10PM, I went online, and requested a comcast appointment-they scheduled me for 5-7PM on 12/27!

Tech arrived an hour early, called to ask if he could start. He arrived with about 4 MCards, and plugged the first in-Tivo recognized it as a MultiStream card, and he went through the setup. He incorrectly assumed as it came up as being a "one-way card" that I needed 2 of them. So, he put in another MCard in slot 2. The Tivo again recognized the situation, and stated that the second MCard would be ignored-I pointed this out to him, but he proceeded anyway. Took about 30 minutes, he called in the numbers, and everything works perfectly. I did get that "good" error code once, but that was it. Other than that, everything works perfectly.

I have the tech's phone number in case anyone in Boston (I live in the Fenway) needs it, but it seems that MA at least has the Tivo/cable card thing down

Take care,

Sid
I am in the South End of Boston and will be switching from D* to Comcast with at TiVO HD shortly.
What did you have to do with the TiVO (as far as setting it up is concerned) before Comcast arrived? There must be a thread here somewhere for that.
Glad to hear that Boston techs have a clue. Well, at least that yours did.
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #4582
BanditWS6

As a follow-up, here's my CableCard installation experience from today: Naples Florida, Comcast (Collier County). We're in a Scientific Atlanta area, Using two single-stream SA CableCards (Scards) on a TiVo HD with 9.2a software.

First of all, Comcast sent a real in-house tech, not a contractor, and he kept great communication with me by phone during the course of the day to let me know when he was coming. This was the best tech I've ever worked with at the company, from a professional standpoint.

The Installation itself actually went fairly well, but not perfect. As I stand now, things aren't working 100%, but we're close. CableCard 1 is working 100% -- getting all digital and HD channels that I am entitled to. CableCard 2 is only getting the analog tier, not sure why. We had the same problem on CableCard 1 at first, then the tech swapped it out with a spare card and everything worked. He only brought three cards, so we couldn't try that on card 2.

The tech himself was actually a really nice guy. He wasn't too experienced with CableCards -- had only tried to install them once before, on a TV, without success -- but the girl at Comcast whom he was working with on the phone was a CableCard expert, so that went a long way toward helping things.

Now I have to figure out how to get CableCard 2 working properly. When we first plugged it in, it did a firmware update. That worked fine. It's paired properly, but has not received any EMMs. The tech was here a pretty long time and had other appointments to get to, plus he mentioned he was trying to get things wrapped up so he could be with his girlfriend and her family tonight so I did not mind letting him take off. Especially since I have one fully-functioning tuner at least.

Comcast has hit the second CableCard a few times to no avail, but I'm going to give it some time and see what happens. Sometimes the SA cards take a while to get all the EMMs, I hear. TiVo is doing a full program data update right now and I'll try a reboot afterwards to see if that helps. Failing that, I'll try pulling out card 2 and re-inserting. If nothing else works, I might have to have a tech come out and swap out card 2. The tech said they do a lot of CableCard installs in this area, so they have tons of cards sitting around. The cards he brought today were all brand new. If someone wants to see any data off my CC config screens, let me know.

The costs on the work order were even cheaper than I was quoted by phone. The installation was $9.95. CableCard 1 is free, and CableCard 2 is $1.50. The tech even said that the girl on the phone was going to take off that $1.50 charge, not sure why, but I'm not complaining.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how things went, especially given how low my expectations were. I still need to get card 2 sorted out, but I'm confident that I can do that -- the techs seem pretty "with it" in this area.

After the way things go in some Comcast areas, I feel like I did pretty well.

I'll post more about getting CableCard 2 working as I get it.
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #4583
BobB
Devout Tivonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
I am in the South End of Boston and will be switching from D* to Comcast with at TiVO HD shortly.
What did you have to do with the TiVO (as far as setting it up is concerned) before Comcast arrived? There must be a thread here somewhere for that.
Glad to hear that Boston techs have a clue. Well, at least that yours did.
As did mine, installation was a snap. Just run Guided Setup before the cable guy arrives, then all he has to do is install the card (tell them when you schedule the appt that you want one M card, not two S's) and call in the pairing info. Took about 20 minutes.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #4584
BanditWS6

Seems that my saga is not even close to being over. Things didn't go as well as I thought.

CableCard 2 -- the one that never worked right -- still won't work. I've been on the phone with Comcast and done about everything I can think of, but it looks like the card is just not receiving anything. No ECMs, no EMMs, nothing. I get the analog tier on it and that's it. They want to send out a tech to swap the card (either that or have me take it to a local office to swap it out). I suspect that it's not paired properly, but nobody I can reach by phone at Comcast knows anything about pairing.

Meanwhile, CableCard 1 -- the one that was working originally -- has now lost authorization. While it's downloaded a complete channel map, and most of my channels work including all of the encrypted digital tier, when I try to tune to some of the HD channels on the HD Platinum tier, the CableCard Host ID screen appears. When I clear out of it, I get only a grey screen -- like I'm not authorized to see the channel.

Looks like this stuff is just screwed up all kinds of badly.

The CSR on the phone advised me to go down to the local office tomorrow and swap out the supposedly bad CableCard 2 for another one. I had no idea the local office was even open tomorrow. Guess I'll see how far I can get down that road.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:31 AM   #4585
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditWS6 View Post
Seems that my saga is not even close to being over. Things didn't go as well as I thought.

CableCard 2 -- the one that never worked right -- still won't work. I've been on the phone with Comcast and done about everything I can think of, but it looks like the card is just not receiving anything. No ECMs, no EMMs, nothing. I get the analog tier on it and that's it. They want to send out a tech to swap the card (either that or have me take it to a local office to swap it out). I suspect that it's not paired properly, but nobody I can reach by phone at Comcast knows anything about pairing.

Meanwhile, CableCard 1 -- the one that was working originally -- has now lost authorization. While it's downloaded a complete channel map, and most of my channels work including all of the encrypted digital tier, when I try to tune to some of the HD channels on the HD Platinum tier, the CableCard Host ID screen appears. When I clear out of it, I get only a grey screen -- like I'm not authorized to see the channel.

Looks like this stuff is just screwed up all kinds of badly.

The CSR on the phone advised me to go down to the local office tomorrow and swap out the supposedly bad CableCard 2 for another one. I had no idea the local office was even open tomorrow. Guess I'll see how far I can get down that road.
Is it possible you have a signal level issue? One of my S3s had a nagging problem where channels 234 and 235 were constantly badly pixellated. I swapped around the cabling (eliminating splits) and raised the signal level a few points, then installed an amplifier that raised the signal just a few more points that eliminated the pixellation.

You can check the cable card pairing by these instructions:

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...chor=undefined

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #4586
BanditWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
Is it possible you have a signal level issue? One of my S3s had a nagging problem where channels 234 and 235 were constantly badly pixellated. I swapped around the cabling (eliminating splits) and raised the signal level a few points, then installed an amplifier that raised the signal just a few more points that eliminated the pixellation.

You can check the cable card pairing by these instructions:

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...chor=undefined
If anything, my signal is probably on the hot side. I have an amp installed in the attic because when I had digital cable installed last year, the signal level was too low to bring in the digital tier. In TiVo's diagnostics screen, I think I recall it showing my signal levels at 26 or 27 dB on both tuners. Not sure whether that's good or bad. The tech didn't seem like he knew either.

As for the card pairing, Card #1 is definitely unpaired. It's a SA S-card, and it shows "Waiting for CP Auth." I have the complete channel map, but can't get to some of the encrypted channels so it must be due to pairing. I talked to three CSRs on the phone last night but none of them knew anything about pairing, nor would they help me. One dude suggested I take my TiVo box back to the Comcast office and swap it for another one, LOL. I don't think he quite "got" it.

CableCard 1 was originally working, but a CSR screwed it up last night when I called in to see if someone could try re-initializing my second card. She somehow deleted CC1 from my account completely! I got another guy to add it back on, but it needs to be re-paired I guess.

The second card shows "Authorization Received," but will never get beyond that. It's like it's authorized to someone else's account, because none of the signals Comcast sends are ever picked up by it. Again, if I could get someone on the phone who knows about pairing, I could try re-pairing the second card -- verifying the Host ID and Card ID numbers for accuracy -- and see if that helps. It could be a bad card, like all the CSRs have suggested, but I just have trouble believing it.

I'm going to try getting some more tech-oriented Comcast folks on the phone today. Being Saturday, I'm not sure how much luck I'll have -- might have to wait until Monday to try for any real results.

Sigh!
Old 12-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #4587
BanditWS6

Update: Gonna have to wait for another tech to show up on Wednesday night. I've been unsuccessful in replacing the card myself, and I've talked to six people on the phone at Comcast...either they didn't know what activating / pairing a CableCard is, or they refused to help me and insisted a tech had to come out.

At least I have the basic digital and HD tier on one of my cards; that's something.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #4588
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditWS6 View Post
Update: Gonna have to wait for another tech to show up on Wednesday night. I've been unsuccessful in replacing the card myself, and I've talked to six people on the phone at Comcast...either they didn't know what activating / pairing a CableCard is, or they refused to help me and insisted a tech had to come out.

At least I have the basic digital and HD tier on one of my cards; that's something.
That's a typical response. They don't seem to want to deal with the cable card pairing, as only a Comcast tech is capable of reading numbers off a screen, and even most of that time they get it wrong.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #4589
BanditWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
That's a typical response. They don't seem to want to deal with the cable card pairing, as only a Comcast tech is capable of reading numbers off a screen, and even most of that time they get it wrong.
Yep, that's it exactly. From all my reading on these boards, I know I'm just wasting my time...so I'm gonna just wait for Wednesday's scheduled appointment. Hopefully the guy who shows up will have a couple of cards and we can get everything going. At least I know the TiVo itself works okay.

It's frustrating, though, because I know I could probably get everything working myself if I could just figure out the magic words to say (or magic number to call) to reach the one person somewhere at Comcast who knows how to handle card pairing. Gah!
Old 12-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #4590
tanasay

Arrow The magic word

The magic word is initialize. There are four levels of signals. I forget what the most basic level is, but after that there are "soft hit," "hit," and "initialize," which supposedly covers the same as the other three plus some secret power ingredient.

But what I want to know is, has ANYONE been able to get Comcast cable cards to work with their TiVo? I bought Series 2 and finally gave up and had Comcast bring back an HD box and take their mCard away. Of course it doesn't work with the TiVo, which is going back, I guess.
tanasay is offline   Reply With Quote