TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #4531
Washizu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Audubon, NJ
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSAMRN View Post
Washizu,
Shouldn't having one card at least let you be able to record, just only one channel at a time, right?

Wish the techs would just leave the second card so I could play around to see if it does the same here.
They actually did leave me with the non functioning card and that's why it wants to record dead air. No magic for me though The working card is in slot #2, so I'm afraid to take the other one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSAMRN View Post
Anyhow, I just had to call out sick from work from the raging respiratory infection I have come down with since the "work all night and then stay up over 24 hours waiting for Comcast to not come" episode.
Hah. I'm sick, too! Probably not from comcast though.
__________________
http://www.bengarvey.com
Washizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #4532
RNSAMRN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 27
FINALLY HAVE MY CABLE CARDS AND THEY WORK IN SOUTH JERSEY!!

The technical supervisor (contracted by Comcast from a local company) came back this morning. He was very up beat. Excited that he got his hands on some of the Motorola CC's with the serial number starting in NG that they have been saying are the ones that have always worked in this area. Put it in. Waited on hold for 20 minutes or so. Got through, did the activation and TIVO MAGIC!!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS to me!!!

I redid Guided Set-up as Tivo told me to do, then checked out some of the HD channels. Got the black screen with numbers on it for the CC when I clicked on Showtime channels saying to call the cable company. I restarted the Tivo, and BAM! Everything back to normal, all channels working.

If anyone lives in may area (near Ocean City NJ) the guy was from Ocean Cable Group, his name is Neil and his ID # is 441. He knows his way around a Tivo. He is a technical supervisor.

Best of luck to the rest of you, and know that I feel you pain, if you still haven't gotten your Tivo up and running. Mine is the Series 3 HD (more expensive one). Working on one Motorola S-card with serial number starting in MA, the other is Motorola S-card with serial number starting in NG.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!

RNSAMRN
Now in Tivo Heaven in South Jersey
RNSAMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #4533
cwise
Should of Never Left
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: KnoxVegas, TN
Posts: 7
Ok it seems like my ordeal with Comcast is over. All channels are up and running after the tech came out today.

That said here is an interesting thing I was told by tech. He stated that it is impossible to self-install MCards. They have to do 5 hits to the card to get it to work and the last hit is a special hit that only a field tech can do. So I guess the best bet would be not to self-install and the let the field tech do it.

I did get lucky with my field tech. He had vast experience with TIVO and cable cards. He told me stories how people have taken back their TIVO boxes because of bad experiences with cable cards when most of the time it was the bad customer service from Comcast.

I am still going write a letter to Comcast about the many training issues they have in relation to this subject and their bad customer service.
cwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #4534
danfi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kenmore, WA
Posts: 17
Smile TiVo HD M-Card Success

I activated a new TiVO HD unit over the weekend with an M-Card from one of the Comcast stores here in the Seattle area and it went flawlessly. The entire interaction time with Cocmast was about 10 minutes, 5 minutes to get the card and all of 5 minutes on the phone to Pair up the card and verify the channels were working. This was even smoother than when I had to pair the 2 S-Card's on my Series 3. At least out here Comcast appears to have a handle on the CableCARD issue.
danfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #4535
rjgarcia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
I purchased a TivoHD over the weekend and called yesterday for an appointment. The tech showed up on time this morning and although he had only done three CC installs in the past year and a half, we worked through it together and it took about an hour.

Most of our time was spent waiting on hold and looking at each other trying to figure out what we were supposed to do next. But alas it works on all channels!

He brought both 2 S cards and an M card with him and we went down the M Card path after hearing all the problems people have with 2 S cards...

This is in Little Rock, Arkansas....

-Robert
rjgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #4536
Allez
Padawan Learner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 42
I'm glad to hear that finally people are having success. It had been a little bit of a downer to hear what people have been going through!
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #4537
rjgarcia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
I was pleasantly surprised after hearing all of the horror stories!

-Robert
rjgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #4538
JoBeth66
Temp
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,048
Ugh.

CableCard Installer here now - 2:00pm (contractor) for my new HD. Barely speaks English. What he does speak, he speaks very very softly. I asked him if he's done a TiVo install before he looks at me and sort of nods his head. but he's clueless - that much is clear.

He didn't even know if he brought S-cards or M-cards, I had to tell him. He didn't know where to put the cards on the HD.

Now, I was one of the very first people in this market (South Jersey - Burlington County) to get CableCards when the S3s first came out, and it was a hassle - it took 3 people, and multiple trips, and LOTS of arguing to get it going (my initial story is back in the beginning of the thread). I'm really hoping he figures it out.

And no matter how many times I told him NOT to install both cards at the same time, he's insisting that's "how it's done".

Yeah.

not holding my breath that this is going to go seamlessly.

...

and now he's trying to get someone to authorize the card. First they hung up on him. Then they put him through to the Comcast Online department, they thought he needed a modem reset. Now it looks like they're saying the person who does the authorizing isn't there. Um, ok? You do a truck roll for something you can't support??? Now he's on hold again.

You'd think that the installers wouldn't have to sit in the same queue that everyone else does while they're out on service calls - that they would have an "installer" line for them to go through.

(Now he's lying to the people at his office and telling them that I "have to go to work" so he needs to get an answer on this pretty quickly. I give him credit for being clueless but at least TRYING!)

..............

and now it's 4:15, and he's given up. He's going to try to reschedule for Wednesday. He couldn't figure out what to do, the guy he was talking to on the phone was either more dense than he was, or just didn't get the TiVo.

I've requested an M card when he comes back. We'll see if they can deliver. This is insane.
__________________
Amy Jo
----------------
Opting out.

Last edited by JoBeth66 : 12-24-2007 at 03:14 PM.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #4539
RNSAMRN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 27
Jobeth -
You aren't far from me, although I am in Atlantic County. I have seen the Ocean Cable Group trucks rolling up the Parkway North though in the past. If the contractor used in your area is Ocean Cable, ask them to send out Neil #441. He did my install with a minor problem with one of the cards, which he solved yesterday. He has numbers to people in the activation dept. and he tries to call them first, rather than waiting on hold for 30 minutes.
If it isn't Ocean Cable Group, then INSIST they send someone with TIVO experience!!!! Otherwise you will be dealing with this issue much longer than you have to.
RNSAMRN
South Jersey
RNSAMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #4540
Gregor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,295
Sorry you're having such trouble, Amy.

My second S3 install was a nightmare as well. As the installer was yanking cards in and out of the box in a seemingly random manner, it was only when I pointed out that the numbers he'd written down at the start were wrong (because the numbers changed after he re-inserted the cards), did things finally work.

I really wish Comcast would put a customer web page up where customers could input the numbers, but that's probably too simple a solution.

Hope you get this straightened out soon.
__________________
Wii: 5166-1365-9840-0899

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #4541
JoBeth66
Temp
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSAMRN View Post
Jobeth -
You aren't far from me, although I am in Atlantic County. I have seen the Ocean Cable Group trucks rolling up the Parkway North though in the past. If the contractor used in your area is Ocean Cable, ask them to send out Neil #441. He did my install with a minor problem with one of the cards, which he solved yesterday. He has numbers to people in the activation dept. and he tries to call them first, rather than waiting on hold for 30 minutes.
If it isn't Ocean Cable Group, then INSIST they send someone with TIVO experience!!!! Otherwise you will be dealing with this issue much longer than you have to.
RNSAMRN
South Jersey
Nah, I won't get an Ocean County installer - I'm on the Delaware side of the state. I'll get someone out of Cherry Hill.

No, if they send another clueless person out on Wednesday, I'm going to see if I can get hold of the same supervisor that I spoke to back in September of '06 who got this done on my S3 and learned how to do these installs.

I mean, they're pretty basic. If they'd just give me the frelling cards I could do it myself, but we all know how Comcast is with that.

And thanks, Greg. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's having a bad time with the SECOND install, too.
__________________
Amy Jo
----------------
Opting out.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #4542
colonel clink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4
oh man...RNSAMRN & amy, sorry to hear your predicaments. i'm a noob out here in california (sf bay area)...but been lurking for a while.

i had comcast come out to do a triple play install (phone, internet, cable tv) yesterday. i was switching from satellite to cable, and replacing two hd directivos with two tivohds. so, after reading the horror stories, i was dreading the outcome.

i took the advice of many here in the forums, and setup the two boxes a couple days before the install, laid out the cablecard instructions for the installer to follow, printed out the cablecard faq sticky here, and made sure comcast was aware that i needed 2 M-cards.

the first thing the installer did was the cablecards. he was well prepared and the fact to both boxes were already connected and updated, really helped.

the modem swap out (cable for telephony) was easy.

the only problem i'm having now is channel lineups. the bedroom tivo doesn't receieve some of the channels that the family room tivo receives. it's no big deal, nothing a phone call can't fix. other than that, everything's cool.

keep trying and good luck.

-colonel clink
colonel clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #4543
mohanman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 99
My Comcast experience wasn't that great in the beginning. They gave me such a hassle. However, I had to take it to the next limit and filed a complaint with the FCC. Then when I called Comcast back, they were the nicest people. I was actually surprised by their service! They came out a few times because some of the channels weren't being picked up on the cablecards. I continue to have problems with two channels.. Food HD and Universal HD. Otherwise I am getting everything and subsrcibed to all the premium channels too. I love my tivo so much! Do any of you guys have problems with the two channels above? Its weird, because it will show up in the guide, but when you do a channel strength, those channels are completely missing.

Weird
Thanks
Mo
mohanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #4544
JoBeth66
Temp
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,048
I don't know where you are Mohanman - I don't get Food HD on my lineup yet (we've got a "coming soon" notice, but it's not there). UHD I have & watch all the time, no problems. (I'm in Southern NJ)
__________________
Amy Jo
----------------
Opting out.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #4545
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 48,720
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66 View Post
I'm on the Delaware side of the state.
You folks over there really refer to yourselves as "Delaware-side"? I'd have thought perhaps "Philadelphia-side" but Delaware?
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #4546
rjgarcia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
My Comcast experience wasn't that great in the beginning. They gave me such a hassle. However, I had to take it to the next limit and filed a complaint with the FCC. Then when I called Comcast back, they were the nicest people. I was actually surprised by their service! They came out a few times because some of the channels weren't being picked up on the cablecards. I continue to have problems with two channels.. Food HD and Universal HD. Otherwise I am getting everything and subsrcibed to all the premium channels too. I love my tivo so much! Do any of you guys have problems with the two channels above? Its weird, because it will show up in the guide, but when you do a channel strength, those channels are completely missing.

Weird
Thanks
Mo
I get both of these channels without any problems.. The only thing that could make FoodTV in HD better is a smellavision upgrade and an extra button on the remote to make the food appear on a plate in front of me..

-Robert
rjgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #4547
rjgarcia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66 View Post
Ugh.

CableCard Installer here now - 2:00pm (contractor) for my new HD. Barely speaks English. What he does speak, he speaks very very softly. I asked him if he's done a TiVo install before he looks at me and sort of nods his head. but he's clueless - that much is clear.

He didn't even know if he brought S-cards or M-cards, I had to tell him. He didn't know where to put the cards on the HD.

Now, I was one of the very first people in this market (South Jersey - Burlington County) to get CableCards when the S3s first came out, and it was a hassle - it took 3 people, and multiple trips, and LOTS of arguing to get it going (my initial story is back in the beginning of the thread). I'm really hoping he figures it out.

And no matter how many times I told him NOT to install both cards at the same time, he's insisting that's "how it's done".

Yeah.

not holding my breath that this is going to go seamlessly.

...

and now he's trying to get someone to authorize the card. First they hung up on him. Then they put him through to the Comcast Online department, they thought he needed a modem reset. Now it looks like they're saying the person who does the authorizing isn't there. Um, ok? You do a truck roll for something you can't support??? Now he's on hold again.

You'd think that the installers wouldn't have to sit in the same queue that everyone else does while they're out on service calls - that they would have an "installer" line for them to go through.

(Now he's lying to the people at his office and telling them that I "have to go to work" so he needs to get an answer on this pretty quickly. I give him credit for being clueless but at least TRYING!)

..............

and now it's 4:15, and he's given up. He's going to try to reschedule for Wednesday. He couldn't figure out what to do, the guy he was talking to on the phone was either more dense than he was, or just didn't get the TiVo.

I've requested an M card when he comes back. We'll see if they can deliver. This is insane.
That sounds very painful. I actually put the card in myself after the installer managed to get it out of the little plastic case it came in

Then I corrected him when he was on the phone because he took a "S" for a "5" in the number..

He had the activation person on speaker and I have to admit the guy had a BAD attitude problem, but it did work..

-Robert
rjgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #4548
JoBeth66
Temp
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
You folks over there really refer to yourselves as "Delaware-side"? I'd have thought perhaps "Philadelphia-side" but Delaware?
Ocean side - Delaware River side - Delaware Bay side - NY side . That's how I divide up NJ.

C'mon, Doug! It's logical!
__________________
Amy Jo
----------------
Opting out.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #4549
JoBeth66
Temp
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,048
Comcast installer #2 is here this morning. Got here a little after 8am, it's now 9:15, and he's not sure what's going on. This is an actual Comcast employee, who seems to have a clue. He's disconnected and reconnected the cable in, because he thought it might be a signal issue, but now he's just standing here sort of looking at it - waiting for someone at Comcast to actually pick up the phone.

This is gonna be another long morning.

--------------
And it's now 9:55. We have ONE CableCARD working, and working on the 2nd. Got the 161-4 error on the first and he said 'oh, you have a bad card'. I disabused him of that notion and told him to have someone at the head end send another signal through - which they did - and ta daaa!! Channels on #1. Now he's keeping the same person on the line to activate the 2nd card, and hopefully that'll be complete in just a few minutes.

The tech was lost - but at least there was someone on the phone that knew what they were doing.

Yay!
__________________
Amy Jo
----------------
Opting out.

Last edited by JoBeth66 : 12-26-2007 at 08:56 AM.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #4550
RNSAMRN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel clink View Post
oh man...RNSAMRN & amy, sorry to hear your predicaments. i'm a noob out here in california (sf bay area)...but been lurking for a while.

i had comcast come out to do a triple play install (phone, internet, cable tv) yesterday.......
the only problem i'm having now is channel lineups. the bedroom tivo doesn't receieve some of the channels that the family room tivo receives. it's no big deal, nothing a phone call can't fix. other than that, everything's cool.....
-colonel clink
I had that problem after the 2nd card, but restarted the Tivo box then did Guided Setup and worked.

Interesting to hear Jobeth's divisions of NJ. New one to me, but logical. I still prefer good old North, Central, South Jersey.

Happy Holidays to all!

RNSAMRN
South Jersey or "Ocean Side"
LOL
RNSAMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #4551
Gregor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66 View Post
Comcast installer #2 is here this morning. Got here a little after 8am, it's now 9:15, and he's not sure what's going on. This is an actual Comcast employee, who seems to have a clue. He's disconnected and reconnected the cable in, because he thought it might be a signal issue, but now he's just standing here sort of looking at it - waiting for someone at Comcast to actually pick up the phone.

This is gonna be another long morning.

--------------
And it's now 9:55. We have ONE CableCARD working, and working on the 2nd. Got the 161-4 error on the first and he said 'oh, you have a bad card'. I disabused him of that notion and told him to have someone at the head end send another signal through - which they did - and ta daaa!! Channels on #1. Now he's keeping the same person on the line to activate the 2nd card, and hopefully that'll be complete in just a few minutes.

The tech was lost - but at least there was someone on the phone that knew what they were doing.

Yay!
Hope everything went well. It seems each headend has maybe 1 person on the backend that knows what's what.
__________________
Wii: 5166-1365-9840-0899

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #4552
oldradio99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 81
After going blind reading the Comcast relevant threads, let me ask some basic questions from a newbie. Here is what I was already told on the phone.

1. I am located near Joliet Illinois. Comcast says M cards are available at local office and pick up and self install is possible. Of course I will believe it when I see it.

2. I was told on phone that first card is free but subsequent ones are $5.99 but I have a written price list that says extras are only $1.50

What I don't know is do I have to pay the $7 monthly HDTV Equipment Fee if I no longer have their equipment?

And I have the Digital Classic Package. Do I need to pay more to get the HDTV channels?

Depending on answers, I can go out tonight buy my TV, Tivo HD, transfer my monthly Toshiba subscription at $6.95 to the Tivo HD and install all of it tomorrow.
oldradio99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #4553
colonel clink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4
-do I have to pay the $7 monthly HDTV Equipment Fee if I no longer have their equipment?

no.

-I have the Digital Classic Package. Do I need to pay more to get the HDTV channels?

depending on your area, your local HD channels and other hd channels such as fsn-hd, vs/golf-hd, espn-hd, espn2-hd, a&e-hd, tbs-hd, tnt-hd, usa-hd, universal-hd, mojo-hd, mtv-hd, hgtv-hd, discovery-hd, discovery theater-hd, national geographic-hd, and history channel-hd...should be part of the digital classic package.
colonel clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #4554
BanditWS6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 80
Here in southwest Florida (Naples, to be specific), the first CableCard is free, the second is $5.00 -- so says the CSR I talked to this morning.

I am returning my leased Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box and replacing it with a TiVo HD; the installer is coming on Friday with the CableCards so we'll see how it goes. The TiVo is already up and running and has gotten the latest software update. According to the CSR, my $11.95/mo. DVR fee will disappear and I'll pay only $5.00 for two S-cards (they claim not to carry M-cards). I'll get all of my HD channels on the TiVo as part of the $14.95 Digital basic tier.

Caveat: As I said, this was all out of the mouth of the CSR, so all bets are off until 1) the installer shows up and 2) I get the next bill. But the CSR was extremely helpful when I called to order the CableCards, even guessed that I had a TiVo (I didn't want to say it!) and was totally cool with everything. For the record, I called Comcast's national hotline, not the local Naples number. So far so good.
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #4555
rherbert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
I just stopped by my local office today to try to get some cable cards before stopping by Costco to get two Tivo HDs. The local office told me that they didn't have any cards there, and that they didn't support multi-stream cards at all - "it's only one way, you can't get the channel guide or On Demand." I tried explaining what a multi-stream card was, but he'd hear none of it. But since they didn't have any cards anyway, I decided to call corporate...

The first person told me that it would be $6.95 a month for each of four cable cards. I said thank you and hung up. I called back again, and the next person said that I could get two M cards for a $20 installation fee and no monthly fee. I liked this answer a lot better, so they're coming next Wednesday. Hopefully, the person doing the installation will know what they're doing when they come!

By the way, this is in Frederick, MD.
rherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #4556
nlowhor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 39
No channels available on CC1, but working?

Just finished installing CCs in a TiVoHD. CC2 was showing test channels fine, but CC1 showed no channels available. After several calls to Comcast and finally scheduling a tech to come, the situation was the same. However, we discovered that everything seems to be working fine. We were able to record 2 HD stations simultaneously even though CC1 shows no channels in the channel test. Is this normal? Is there anything to be concerned about?
nlowhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #4557
mschirm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4
My quick story from Ocean County NJ. Comcast was out yesterday and today. Yesterday they spent hours and could not get either card working. Today, first card is working, Second card is not. Had a different person today than yesterday. They are coming back out again tomorrow. Maybe third time will be a charm.
mschirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #4558
yvovandoorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11
Got a Tivo HD for Christmas. Yesterday went to Comcast in Auburn, WA to dump my Motorola DCT-6412 and its horrible remote on the counter and traded it in for a Motorola MCARD cable card.

Came home, plugged it in my Tivo (which had just finished upgrading to version 9.2 while I was doing the swap) and called Comcast. Within 10 minutes I was happily watching HBO on my Tivo HD.

I have noticed that the picture seems a tad bit grainy compared to the Comcast cable box. I am using HDMI as opposed to component cables (that I was using with the Comcast box) so it could be that.
yvovandoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #4559
emmit1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
A different outlook???

I'm in Columbus, IN and I got at Tivo HD for Christmas. I subscribe only to analog cable, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The unit updated the software level, then I did a channel search. It found about 300 channels. Of the 300 there were 68 analog and the rest digital. I knew Comcast had some digital channels on regular cable - even though they denied it - because the television I got last year had a digital tuner. It found them and I enjoyed HD programming. Anyway, the tivo apparently found the same channels plus a whole bunch of placeholders. I'm wondering if Comcast's story about everybody needing a digital box next year is true. Maybe I'll be able to use the digital tuner and not need the cable cards.
Speaking of cable cards - I know nothing about them. The Tivo website says I need two S or one M card with the TivoHD, but my unit came in a box marked series 3 and the account screen says series 3. Can somebody confirm that a single M card will provide dual tuner capability?
emmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #4560
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 48,720
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmit1 View Post
The Tivo website says I need two S or one M card with the TivoHD, but my unit came in a box marked series 3 and the account screen says series 3. Can somebody confirm that a single M card will provide dual tuner capability?
The Series 3 comes in a black box, has an OLED display on the front, boots up with a THX logo onscreen after the initial startup, and has the CableCARD slots on the back. It requires 2 S cards or 2 M cards for both tuners to work.

The TiVo HD comes in a yeallow box, has only LEDs on the front, boots up with a TiVo short movie with the TiVo guy jumping through different TV shows, and has the CableCARD slots on the front hidden underneath a hinged plastic panel along the bottom. It requires 2 S cards or 1 M card for both tuners to work.
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |