TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #4381
Qwertinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
The Series 3 and TiVo HD units both have analog tuners.
That's strange, because my TV can receive the analog basic channels but when I hooked up my HD Tivo and scanned the channels before I installed the cablecard it only showed the HD channels that are sent in clear QAM, no analog cable channels.
Qwertinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #4382
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertinsky View Post
That's strange, because my TV can receive the analog basic channels but when I hooked up my HD Tivo and scanned the channels before I installed the cablecard it only showed the HD channels that are sent in clear QAM, no analog cable channels.
I had a TiVoHD for awhile and used it without a CableCARD for a couple months. So all my viewing was analog cable and OTA digital. I never did a scan; just relied on the guide data.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #4383
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertinsky View Post
Very strange indeed.

When I had an HD TiVo it certainly did show the analog channels before I got cable cards (and so did both of my S3s). Cable cards don't guarantee you digital channels anyway, its perfectly possible the cable card will tell the box to receive the analog, not the digital channels. That's how it was when I first got cable cards. It was somewhat of a struggle to get the digital versions turned on.

Not forgetting they also have an OTA NTSC tuner, which I have to delete all the channels in the channel list for.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #4384
fatespawn

Well, I thought I'd throw my $.02 in with regard to my CC install today. I called Comcast last week and told them I was interested in a cable card with their Triple Play package with HD.

Funny. It sounded much easier on the phone with the sales rep than the reality of the installation today.

Bottom line, is that my phone works, my modem works, but my cable card is inop.

It started out poorly with my pre-emptive call to customer service to add a note about brining "multiple M-cards."

The tech called this morning to see if he could move up the appointment from 2-4 to 11am, he didn't even know what M-cards were. Bad start.

I even said, "you know, multi-stream cards?" He said Comcast only did single stream cards. Oh, boy.

So, when he showed up, he had 2 M-cards with him. He asked me what the difference was. Oh, boy.

His work order sheet was literally BLANK. All he knew was "triple play install."

He had no idea I didn't have a cable outlet in my office (where the modem goes) and had to run about 300' of cable. (I get to have someone bury it in the spring... yippee)
He had no idea I needed cable cards
He had no idea I didn't actually have my own modem.

These are pretty serious deficiencies. Basically, his phone rang in his truck and was told to asap it to my house.

He had done ONE other CC install about 3 years ago. Sure.

But, it wasn't just the CC's that were taking so long. It was the entire process. The modem and phone were equally as trying.

So, here I sit, with his cell phone number. He left after 4 hours of failure. The Tivo is currently "searching for channels." like it has been for the past 3 hours. I was told it would take up to 2 hours to wait for a "hit" from Comcast. I wonder how long this process will take.

-fate
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #4385
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatespawn View Post
The Tivo is currently "searching for channels." like it has been for the past 3 hours. I was told it would take up to 2 hours to wait for a "hit" from Comcast. I wonder how long this process will take.-fate
I think you should power off and power on your TiVo for starters.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #4386
barbarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnrobalo View Post
You have the same question as me except for a different area: Does Comcast in Atlanta really not have M-cards? Or does it depend on who you speak to?
Capnrobalo - I just had a 24 minute conversation with a Comcast customer support rep here in Atlanta. He said Comcast does not have MCARDs at their "Service Centers" or "Warehouses" (which means you cannot pick it up). However the technician that visits your house should have those cards. Also, the customer rep I spoke to says Comcast offers "CableCARDS" and "TivoCARDS". Don't know the difference technically - but I guess the TivoCard is just a M-CARD that is preconfigured not to screw up your Tivo HD. As a result, Comcast charges $1.50 a month to utilize the "TivoCARD". There is no charge however, for the CableCARDs. The customer rep cannot provide any other detail than that.

Anyone here ever heard of Comcast's "TivoCARD"?

I was initially thinking about trying out the CableCARDs and turning down the option of "TivoCARDs" to avoid the monthly fee. But after reading these posts, I'd rather not deal with the hassle of a botched installation.

I would suggest to everyone to be very detailed about the Request for Service. Tell the customer rep which specific model that you have (Tivo Series 3, Tivo HD) and make sure this is entered on the ticket for the support technician BEFORE they come out to your house. Tell the customer rep to document that your Tivo HD supports M-Card, and that the tech should try to bring one out (so you dont get charged extra for two S-Cards). Try to get as much info as you can about this supposed "TivoCARD" that's being offered for Tivo HD. (The old CableCARDs are probably just fine for Series 3).

As for additional charges, the customer rep says I have to upgrade my digital basic cable package to include HD channels at an additional cost of $6.95/mo. BUT, I'm going to try this installation WITHOUT the upgrade to service and see what happens first. Right now I can hear the HD channels, but I can't see them. I'm hoping my new Tivo HD will be able to decode the signal.

My install date is Dec 12th so we'll see how it goes.
barbarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #4387
fatespawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
I think you should power off and power on your TiVo for starters.
Well, I did that a number of times. Finally fixed itself - I assume when the mothership finally "hit" the card. Now everything works fine... except the package and billing they misquoted me last week... more fun ahead.

Oh, and one last tidbit.

Be as specific as possible. It still didn't help me - my tech didn't even know what an M-card was.... but as long as you are as DESCRIPTIVE as possible to the customer service people, you have a leg to stand on - since all calls are recorded.
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 PM   #4388
aniltj

Would anyone happen to know if Comcast in the Howard County, MD area currently carries M-Cards? Recently got a TivoHD and they are coming out to install but the CSR informs me that they carry only S-Cards.
aniltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:22 PM   #4389
Devx

Ok, after a long hiatus from the site, I've finally decided to give the Tivo HD a try after getting a new HD TV and seeing just how bad it looks w/ my S2 ST. A deal I couldn't pass up and almost chanced upon, the CC.com 239.99 + $40 off deal for $199.99 before tax. I picked up the THD during lunch, no issues there.

Called Comcast tonight and asked about the cablecards for my new Tivo. He was a CSR working in Atlanta go figure and told me I could go to the local office to pick my cards up (which I learned is really just one card, an M-card now)... when I asked him about the one near me (Cobb) he even knew which one I was talking about and named landmarks and everything. But...after reading the latest posts from Brad, troche, and barbarino I'm not so sure he was as knowledgeable as he sounded. I'm calling again just to be safe. When CC service works, it works great, but anytime there's trouble and you need help from their "support" team it's like playing the lottery. You have to keep trying until you "win." Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Reading more on the issue, I'm going to get the THD connected, activated and setup. Seems the best course of action is to schedule the truck roll and take a chance by going to the office too. I must subconsciously be masochistic to keep subjecting myself to this. More to report later I'm sure.
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 PM   #4390
mae

M cards in Howard County

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniltj View Post
Would anyone happen to know if Comcast in the Howard County, MD area currently carries M-Cards? Recently got a TivoHD and they are coming out to install but the CSR informs me that they carry only S-Cards.
They definitely had them (one in my THD). When I called in September, the CSR said that was all they had. You may want to play "CSR roulette" and and call until you get either a first or second line rep who knows something. You might also ask for someone in White Marsh since some of the calls go to centers around the country and in Canada. The ones in White Marsh can at least ask someone local if they don't know. Another tactic that has been reported to work is say you want to go to FIOS and ask for a "retention rep" who is more inclined to try and please you.

There are a few posts on getting them working including mine, and some who have been less successful and switched to FIOS. You can just search this thread for "Howard County".

Good luck!
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #4391
beerkensp

Congratulations on making it to page 147!

It is amazing that a company this bad with this many pages of complaints can still exist.

I am too in cable card hell. Most of my days are spend on the phone with comcast representatives and waiting at home for engineers that never show.

At the moment I have no phone, only one of the 2 cable cards work and my internet only returns one out of 10 pings to any web address (including comcast home page).

Yesterday I was on the phone for 4 hours.

I also asked for the engineer to bring some extra cable cards this time so that if they turn out to be broken again he does not have to come back another day. Even before I finished this sentence she said that my request had been noted on the work order. So either she is the worlds fastest typist or she was lying.

In most jobs you would get fired for lying. At comcast it seems to be encouraged.

Sigh,

me.
beerkensp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #4392
Newbs24

Has anybody ordered a PPV with cable cards and NO cable box? I want to get the Mayweather/Hatton fight but since there is no buying guide on the screen, I really don't know how to do it. People have said just to call Comcast but I still don't know if they can send a PPV buy through cable cards. If any of you have personally done or tried it, please let me know. Thanks alot.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #4393
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkensp View Post
Congratulations on making it to page 147!

It is amazing that a company this bad with this many pages of complaints can still exist.
It isn't amazing. It's a monopoly. Seriously, if there were 3 sets of coaxial cable coming into each home from 3 different cable companies, and all you had to do was pick the one you liked best, AND, assuming you were free to switch among the 3 at any time, do you really think Comcast would be as horrible as it is? They'd be better or they'd be bankrupt. I frankly wouldn't care which.

The strangest part to me is how pleased I am with Comcast as an Internet provider! They're the best ISP I've ever had! It's their TV service and billing that frustrates me.

FWIW, I got my first post-cablecard Comcast bill yesterday, and it was actually correct (so far as I had been promised). My bill did NOT change at all by adding the 2 CableCards. They did include a notification of the new 2008 prices, though, and pretty much everything is going up WAY above the rate of inflation. It's good to be the monopolist!!
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #4394
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbs24 View Post
Has anybody ordered a PPV with cable cards and NO cable box? I want to get the Mayweather/Hatton fight but since there is no buying guide on the screen, I really don't know how to do it. People have said just to call Comcast but I still don't know if they can send a PPV buy through cable cards. If any of you have personally done or tried it, please let me know. Thanks alot.
I get NHL Center Ice. Just call. It should show up in your TiVo Channel Guide Data. http://www.indemand.com/listProducts...ge_sectionId=2
Boxing: Mayweather vs. Hatton
Premieres Sat, Dec 8
Dec 8 8:30PM 401 Boxing: Mayweather vs. Hatton (Live countdown: 0:30)
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #4395
beerkensp

First Truck roll: After 4 hours one working cable card. Internet unusable slow. Phone Works.
Second Truck roll: Phone stops working. Engineer never turns up.
Third Truck Roll: Engineers calls to say Comcast has run out of cable cards. He is not trained to fix internet problems.
Fourth Truck Roll: Internet better. I get up to 1Mb/sec out of the 6 Mb/sec I pay for. Still no second cable card or telephone.
Fifth Truck Roll: Engineer never turns up
Sixth Truck Roll; Place holder
Seventh Truck Roll: Place holder
Eight Truck Roll: Place holder

Last edited by beerkensp : 12-11-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #4396
kwas911

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnrobalo View Post
Hi,
I'm new to the forum - sorry in advance if I replied to the wrong post... Anyway, I am in Atlanta and have Comcast. I just got a new TivoHD and I requested Comcast to come out and bring me a multistream (m-card). The Comcast rep I spoke to made note of the m-card request on my work order. So a Comcast tech came out and of course brought a single s-card instead of the m-card I requested. So, I let them do the install anyway and the tech told me to call back to have them come back out to bring the correct card that I requested. So, I call and speak to a Comcast customer-no-service representative who tells me they only have 1 type of card, i.e., no m-card. I believe she is lying to me so that I will have to pay more for the extra s-card to get dual tuner functionality. She also inquired whether or not the cablecard was going into a Tivo or not. I don't know why Comcast needs to know what the card is going into.

Anyway, are there any folks on here in the Atlanta market with Comcast m-cards? And, for the second trip out, any tips on how to make sure the Comcast tech brings an m-card? The tech I spoke to before told me he just brought what the warehouse gave him. I was thinking of requesting like 6 m-cards and then when the tech arrives, hopefully he will have at least 1 m-card and then I'll tell him I just need the one card. Thanks for any insight.
Try the local Comcast shops. You can pick up a M-Card and install yourself. Only problem is that no one seems to have any!!!

I am in ATL and having similar problems. I requested a M-Card. The technician brought one, but immediately left, telling me it was assigned to someone else???? The next day another technician brought 2 S-Cards. After an hour on the phone with Comcast, he was only able to get 1 working. Now more than a week later, I still get "there are no cablecards in the warehouse". I even drove to 2 different stores (chamblee and decatur) with no luck.
kwas911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #4397
chrisjcp

Just got a new Series 3, picked up 2 CableCARDS from the local Comcast office, plugged them in and called for activation....came up almost instantly. Picture and channel line-up was fine including HD channels.

The audio, however, sucks chunks. Pops and crackles on SD channels almost all the time. On the HD channels it's a continuous squawk drowning out everything.

An hour or 2 on phone with a Tivo tech and he says it's the cards. If you remove the cards and reboot the Tivo without them in at all the audio is fine.

Went back to Comcast and got two more cards and same problem. So that's 4 cards all with exactly the same prob?????? Anyone else encountered this prob and know of a cure.

One other weird factor was that after installing the second pair of cards the audio seemed to be fine. After a few hours I noticed I could only get channels 1-99 and called Comcast back...they resent the activation signal and I could soon get all the channels above 99 again but the audio was back to it's "snap, crackle and pop" routine.

I didn't realise it took a few hours for all channels to register which is why I called Comcast when I could only get 1-99. When they resent the reactivation signal I got all channels almost instantly....could this "reactivation" be screwing the audio somehow.

Tivo to TV is connected by HDMI.
chrisjcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #4398
MikeySF

Well to add a good story amongst all the bad I have to say that it wasn't so bad getting my CC's installed. I too though had a bad start when the tech, who was a subcontractor, had never heard of a "M" card or ever installed CC's in a TIVO before. Even though I as well tried to be premtive and infroming them when I scheduled the call with all the information they needed, didn't help. The tech was wise enough though to call his supervisor and have him join him at my house. They only had 4 standard cards amongst them which didn't bode well. Low and behold though they got the first two they tried working in about an hour. The supervisor did credit the Comcast tech on the phone with this miracle though and stated he would call him every time he needed this done in the future. I do have two cards but the only charge on my bill is $1.79 for the both of them total. Guess I was lucky.
MikeySF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #4399
thinkswithfist

Two TivoHDs in Philadelphia

Last month, I upgraded from 2 lifetime Sony series1s to two new TivoHDs using Tivo's lifetime transfer offer (~$253 each from Amazon). I live outside Philadelphia (comcast home territory).

Once the Tivos arrived, I called Comcast about getting the two multi-stream cablecards. The sales lady said digitial premier was $10 a month (for one year), the sports package was $1.99 a month (instead of $5 normal), free HBO and Cinemax for 60days, and there would be an install charge of $15.xx. (Note: I got a sales call from Comcast a week later offering FREE digital premier and HBO for a year). I asked if there were any other monthly charges - sales rep said no. Scheduled installation in just a day or two. Great.

A few days later, two Comcast guys came to install the cablecards. I asked - they had never installed into a Tivo before. To keep the story short, the first guys gave the dispatcher wrong numbers, which the second installer discovered the next day. As another poster recently said, be sure the installers double check the number strings. Service now running smoothly. Great.

Just today got my first post-install bill. For some reason, a new cable-modem rental fee was introduced, which was wrong (I own my modem). I also see an unexpected $8.90 per month additional outlet fee and an extra $1.50 per month fee for the second cablecard. I called to complain about these wrong / unexpected fees. She took off the modem rental fees, of course. The lady was nice but insisted that the $8.90 per month plus $1.50 was standard. I said that's nice, but the sales lady did not mention anything about these extra charges. After some back and forth, she went through my account, signed me up for promotional codes, etc. to get the effective rate of my bill back down. In the end, I think I will be okay.

On a related note, she said Comcast will stop providing analog signals in 2009 (i.e. every tv will need a cablebox or cablecard). I knew broadcasters were switching to digital due to FCC mandate. However, I hadn't heard that Comcast was going to drop analog service. I have analog cables hooked into TVs in the basement, in the kitchen, in the guest bedroom, and a tuner card in my computer. I don't want to have to pay additional outlet fees for each of these extra devices! Anyone know if it's true that Comcast will drop analog cable soon?

Hope the details help someone understand the lay of the land. Cheers.
I wonder how much Verizon FIOS TV will cost? (they're installing it now in my neighborhood).

Cheers.
thinkswithfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #4400
BurnBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkswithfist View Post
Just today got my first post-install bill. For some reason, a new cable-modem rental fee was introduced, which was wrong (I own my modem). I also see an unexpected $8.90 per month additional outlet fee and an extra $1.50 per month fee for the second cablecard. I called to complain about these wrong / unexpected fees. She took off the modem rental fees, of course. The lady was nice but insisted that the $8.90 per month plus $1.50 was standard. I said that's nice, but the sales lady did not mention anything about these extra charges. After some back and forth, she went through my account, signed me up for promotional codes, etc. to get the effective rate of my bill back down. In the end, I think I will be okay.
I am also in the suburban Phila Comcast market. I had similar charges applied to my bill. I spoke with a wonderful billing rep who straightened out the whole billing nightmare. If it turns out you have further problems, PM me and I will give you her name.

Quote:
Anyone know if it's true that Comcast will drop analog cable soon?
I would also like to know an answer to this question as I have another tv that still has analog. May also look into Verizon at that point and pray that Verizon's cable service is better than their awful internet service.
BurnBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #4401
fadden0

CableCARD saga: two days and counting

Bought a TiVo series 3 for use with my Comcast digital cable. We've been using a Series 2 DT for a while, but the IR blaster occasionally drops channel changes and we wanted to try HD. So I set up the box and requested CableCARDs.

A tech came out yesterday, tried to set things up for a couple of hours. No luck. The back up on authorization "hits" was at 30 minutes when we started, and soared to over an hour, so the tech requested the authorization and headed out (I had places to be).

Turns out the folks on the other end had a number in a wrong field so nothing was going through. This morning on the phone they fixed their end and tried again. I got a couple of 161-4 messages, which are apparently considered a good sign (the cable system and the card are speaking to each other), though apparently seeing more than one isn't a good sign. No luck seeing any channels, and the cable card status screens don't indicate authorization.

This afternoon they (two this time) came out again for a couple of hours, tried a different card. No luck. They tried to get through to the "addressability" department, but I gather things get jammed up in the afternoon and they couldn't get through. They did verify that the signal level was fine. (It was actually a little high, so they put me back on the splitter that I had removed earlier in the morning.)

So they're coming back out tomorrow, with a stack of M cards and hopefully better luck getting through to the head-end folks.

I had no idea it was this hard to get a CableCARD working. One of the techs said sometimes they'll go through half a dozen before getting a working setup.
fadden0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #4402
ji0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkensp View Post
I am too in cable card hell. Most of my days are spend on the phone with comcast representatives and waiting at home for engineers that never show.

At the moment I have no phone, only one of the 2 cable cards work and my internet only returns one out of 10 pings to any web address (including comcast home page).

Yesterday I was on the phone for 4 hours.
SInce you are in chicago and have given a fair try and it already, I would suggest going the executive care route (800-630-2140). They finally got me going.
ji0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #4403
beerkensp

Thanks,

The last visit of Comcast improved things. Apparantly they are sill out of cable cards but they have been able to get me going with a temporary telephone number and some internet connectivity. I am getting about 1 Mb/sec of the 8Mb/sec (with 12Mb/s burst).

I am hoping that over the next few days they will be able to get me the correct telephone number and sort out my internet and maybe if I am really lucky they might even get a cable card.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #4404
oldradio99

Quote:
Last month, I upgraded from 2 lifetime Sony series1s to two new TivoHDs using Tivo's lifetime transfer offer (~$253 each from Amazon). I live outside Philadelphia (comcast home territory).

Once the Tivos arrived, I called Comcast about getting the two multi-stream cablecards. The sales lady said digitial premier was $10 a month (for one year), the sports package was $1.99 a month (instead of $5 normal), free HBO and Cinemax for 60days, and there would be an install charge of $15.xx. (Note: I got a sales call from Comcast a week later offering FREE digital premier and HBO for a year). I asked if there were any other monthly charges - sales rep said no. Scheduled installation in just a day or two. Great.

A few days later, two Comcast guys came to install the cablecards. I asked - they had never installed into a Tivo before. To keep the story short, the first guys gave the dispatcher wrong numbers, which the second installer discovered the next day. As another poster recently said, be sure the installers double check the number strings. Service now running smoothly. Great.

On a related note, she said Comcast will stop providing analog signals in 2009 (i.e. every tv will need a cablebox or cablecard). I knew broadcasters were switching to digital due to FCC mandate. However, I hadn't heard that Comcast was going to drop analog service. I have analog cables hooked into TVs in the basement, in the kitchen, in the guest bedroom, and a tuner card in my computer. I don't want to have to pay additional outlet fees for each of these extra devices! Anyone know if it's true that Comcast will drop analog cable soon?

Hope the details help someone understand the lay of the land. Cheers.
I wonder how much Verizon FIOS TV will cost? (they're installing it now in my neighborhood).

Cheers.

I strongly suspect that is the route that Comcast is going. Over the last few months they have been moving channels from the under the 99 number up to the 100's so you have to rent a box.

Just for giggles, I spent an hour with Comcast today to ask if I can purchase a cable box. The on-line rep said yes. Even gave me a number to the local office to buy a box (the number was disconnected).

Next I called and was told can't buy a box,only cable cards but only can be put in Tivo's for now.

I have been trying to get away from Comcast but I cannot get a decent DSL so I am stuck
oldradio99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #4405
fadden0

Still going

The Comcast / TiVo fun continues. Today a Comcast tech spent 2.5 hours trying everything under the sun. No luck.

Only change was on the CA screen, where yesterday's "Con:Yes EBCP:Yes Val:V 0x01" changed to show "0x03" instead. Still no channel info. We can see message counters incrementing and other vague signs of activity, but an hour later "test channels" was still sitting on the spinning "acquiring info" screen.

The tech spent an hour interacting with TiVo customer support. We were walked through a long series of "are you sure it's plugged in" items. At one point the TiVo support rep had us move the card from slot 1 to slot 2 and perform the usual set of tests. There are so many reasons why this wasn't going to work it hurts to think about, and at the end of it we had to "hit" the card again because the "data" field updated itself. The exercise was rather pointless.

Conclusion: I'm stuffing the Series 3 back into the box and returning it to Best Buy. Going to try a TiVo HD instead. It sounds like the hardware/firmware is newer, e.g. the TiVo HD can use M cards in multi-stream mode (so I don't have to go through this card configuration nightmare with *two* cards).

After three days I have a low opinion of TiVo tech support, a modest opinion of Comcast dispatch (that first day of anguish when they put the numbers in the wrong fields irks me, but once you get a hold of the right person things start moving), and a very high opinion of the Comcast field techs. They've been very patient and done everything possible, and have demonstrated a "whatever it takes to get it to work" attitude throughout the many long hours of strife.
fadden0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #4406
rlawson4

I had Comcast out today and my signal was too strong. I was get +14 - + 19 on some stations. He put a splitter on the outlet and brought it down to +4. The new S-Card he brought out paired and is working. Unfortunately, he only brought one. So, I have one working tuner. Progress but not success until I get another card. He work order clearly stated to bring 2 S-Card or 1 M. He brought 1 S-Card. In fairness, at least he knew how to decrease signal level without messing everything else up. I will say that getting the Tivo HD to work has been like throwing more money away at a casino in order to win back what was lost. What I mean is that had I known the amount of time necessary to get this to work (countless calls to Comcast, 4 truck roles, 4 trips to their office, numerous conversations with so called supervisors, I would have never bought the Tivo. It is sad to say that I persisted because I had already wasted so much time and energy, and it is still not over.
rlawson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #4407
GumboChief

Thumbs up

Had a pretty good Comcast experience in the city of Chicago.
On Monday at 11am, I walked into our local payment center, and requested 2M cards. Lady walked to the back, came back 90 seconds later, and read the UPC with her scanner. Asked me to sign for them, and I walked out.

Put one in the Tivo, and 5 minutes later, I had all of my basic and extended cable channels. As expected, my premiums did not work (HBO, Showtime, Encore)

I called in to have my card paired, and the lady said she "sent the signal".

When nothing happened she said to wait 10 minutes, and call back if it was not working.

I called in 2 hours later, as it was still not working. The next rep "sent the signal" too, to no effect. She said that I would be called by a cable card specialist within 4 hours.

About 7 hours later, at 9pm, I get a call from the cablecard guy, who knew exactly what he was doing. I was up in 5 minutes, with all my channels working.

Yesterday, I returned the second card to the payment center, and am a very happy camper.

After all the extended horror storied shared here, I am glad I did not have to add another.
GumboChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #4408
bobat

Just thought I'd add a success story, since most posts are (understandably) of the horror story variety.

I called Comcast in Tacoma and asked about what I'd need to get my brand new TiVo HD up and running. First guy thought I'd need to upgrade to a digital package from my expanded basic, but had heard about cablecards and confirmed that I wouldn't need a set-top box. I called again for fun, and a more knowledgeable CSR said I didn't have to change my lineup at all, since the expanded basic (which I've been on for a long time) included the first-tier HD channels (ABC, NBC, etc) and that, yes, all I needed to do was stop by a Comcast store and pick up a (free) m-card .

I went to the local Comcast store and asked for a cablecard - "Oh, please make it an m-card," says I. "Huh?" says the rep behind the bullet-proof glass. He finds one right away, and admits he knows nothing about it. "Here's your, uh, m-card ... no charge or monthly fee."

I followed the very simple instructions on the in-box flyer - pop the card in the slot and follow the prompts. I called Comcast tech support and asked to activate a cable card. She asks me right away, "Do you have some ID and Data for me?" "Yep," says I. I read her the numbers right off the screen. She says "I'm sending you some signals right now - don't do anything." The screen sat on an "acquiring channels" for a couple of minutes before I just switched to the card setup page on my own. A couple of minutes later I was testing a sample of the HD channels (I don't have any premium channels) - my first look at HD! Awesome!

Total time on the forums reading about problems: 1 hour. Time studying TiVo instructions: 10 minutes. Time on the phone activating with Comcast: 5 minutes.

Whew!!!!

Hope your experience is as easy and problem free as mine!
bobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #4409
Allez
Padawan Learner

Newbie here, suffered through first attempt at cablecard installation on my TivoHD by Comcast. Person who came professed not to know a whole lot about these things, and had 4 S-cards with him. Three cards were dead; the fourth he was able to actually get numbers to call in for pairing. After having him leave (I figured he was not very helpful and I would need another service call anyway for a second card), I found that only a few scattered channels would work - several HD network channels and 3-4 analog channels. All of the other channels were black, showing the channel banner. In the Conditional Access Menu it says Auth: Missing Program Rekey. Tried rebooting, unplugging power, unplugging/replugging in cable card with no change. I called Comcast, and they tried re-pairing with no change. Any ideas? When giving the unit number are you supposed to leave the first three 0's off? I had them try re-pairing that way without any success.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #4410
Shatian

Good luck. I'm not sure what's the deal but getting these to work over the phone is a nightmare...at least is has been from me. I decided to switch over to using Comcast for TV a few weeks ago and to go with a Tivo HD. I got one for my wife first cause she's been using a DirecTiVo for a couple of years. I asked if I could pick one up and they said sure, so I went by the local office

I asked for a M-Card and they handed me 2 S-Cards. I followed the instructions with the tivo and then gave them a call. They got the first call right off the bat. The second card wouldn't work no matter how many times they "hit" it. It gave me the "Missing Program Rekey" message. First response was " well, you have two choices, send a tech and send a tech." I told them I'd go swap the card out and try another one. This was a Friday.

I went by the office on monday and swapped out for another card. Once again, after hitting the card, I still got "Missing Program Rekey". After several phone reps, I finally had to call Tivo and he did a conference call with Comcast. I'm not sure what he told them, but someone who knew what they were doing, and was willing to listen, got the card re-configured and it's been working all week.

I got another Tivo for myself yesterday and picked up an M-Card so I wouldn't go through the two card nightmare again...called them...and take a guess who's coming tomorrow? Yet again, the persons on the other end of the phone can't get it to work.

I have a feeling a lot of the bad cards are because the CSRs in general still don't know how to configure/troubleshoot the problems. I don't know why they insist on sending a tech. What's the difference between me telling them "So, you need the Host and data number, yes?" "Oh, no I don't need that". "Ok I sent it a hit, any change?" and a tech telling them the same thing.

argh
Shatian is offline   Reply With Quote