TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #4111
old64mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt12
I'm waiting for these things to start working so I can decide (before 30 days) if they're that much better than the cable DVRs.
Seeing a response like that makes me shiver because every time someone puts the onus on Tivo for a Comcast-caused problem, Comcast's ultimate goal - to drive Tivo under, buy the thing out of bankruptcy, and more than likely raise your rates by 100% - gets closer as the evil empire has won another one.

Tivo corporate has an awful lot of issues and I'm on record on several, but blaming them when in reality its their supplier who is doing their best to make it as complicated and painful as possible as they can legally get away with - not right.

It's one reason more reason why I've stuck with them even when I'm frustrated. The alternative is a lot worse.
old64mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #4112
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD9
Why is comcast completely unable to update their online channel lineup? I live in Montgomory County, MD... and for at least the last 2 weeks I've been trying to access a "current" channel linup online. Each and every time I've tried, I only get a message saying that its currently unavailable.
Even if it is available, it may not be up to date. I nearly missed a football game because it was on NFL Network and they removed that from the tiers I get, but they didn't update the channel line up to reflect this.

I rang them and complained bitterly about this, and got some freebies from them.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #4113
GaryD9

This is interesting... I was playing around with my channels, exploring the various channels that tivo/comcast/cablecard think I don't get (and that the tivo channel list has no entries for.)

I found that channel 223 has AEHD, 229 has HGTV/HD, and 231 has FoodHD...

Curious, I went into the cablecard diagnostics, and did the channel test. For the above channels, the channel test only shows "Cable channel 223." However, most channels will show a channel number followed by the channel ID (ie: 228 HBOHD.)

This seems to indicate that comcast isn't including some channels (such as 223, 229, etc) in the channel list they send to the cablecards....

So, how do I go about getting comcast to send the channel list properly, AND then getting TiVo to inform their guide provider (tribune) to update the lists?
GaryD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #4114
mchabura

I just wanted to let everyone know about the very positive experience I had with my Comcast CableCARD installation. I scheduled my appointment for the installation and asked the CSR to make sure that they had an M-card for my TivoHD. The technician came on time, but had about 6 S-cards because he said that they didn't have any M-cards in inventory at the moment. No big deal I thought...just an additional $1.50 a month for the 2nd CableCARD. I asked him if he had any previous experience with Tivo, and he told me that this was his first time. I got a little nervous, but he continued installing the cards into the machine. He called in the numbers and everything seemed to be working fine. This took about 30 minutes. After he left, I noticed that none of my movie channels were coming in (HBO, Starz, Encore), but all the other channels including HD channels were working fine. I called customer support and after a reboot they quickly escalated me to 2nd tier support. Later that night, I received a call from Steve, the Comcast 2nd tier support technician who specialized in Tivo troubleshooting, and he quickly solved the problem. I guess the 2nd card's host id was incorrect. Everything worked great. I live in the western Chicago suburbs (St. Charles), and I have to say that each and every one of the Comcast employees were extremely friendly, helpful, and patient with this installation. They got it to work perfectly. I definitely had a great and painless experience.
mchabura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #4115
egorss78

Call comcast 2 days ago to have them stop by and install the cable cards. Tech shows up today with a 8300HD box. Said they ran out of CC and figured I could use the box instead....

Tech Support says it may be months before they have the cards in stock. Tech said people prefer our box so we do not stock them that much....

If anyone has any ideas on how to get the cards faster please let me know...might have to return my new Tivo HD....
egorss78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #4116
GaryD9

[quote=GaryD9]I found that channel 223 has AEHD, 229 has HGTV/HD, and 231 has FoodHD...[quote]
Oops. Just got off the phone with Comcast, and discovered that they aren't offering AE, HGTV, or Food in HD in my area. The first person I spoke with insisted that I was mistaken and must be viewing the non-HD versions (nevermind that the AEHD channel had a different logo "AE HD".)

The second person I talked to told me something similar, but rather than call me an idiot who sees imaginary logos, was very curious on how I managed to tune into non-existant channels.

The THIRD person I talked to was amused (and somewhat annoyed) that I was watching channels that they are still testing. I guess I'm not supposed to be able to see them yet. At least this third person seemed happy to hear that the channels looked very good with no signal problems.

A _benifit_ to cablecards: the ability to tune in channels that are hidden.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #4117
pl1

Quote:
PPV and VOD, all there. But it shifts channels and have fun figuring out what's what.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #4118
muddball

Here's my recent experience in Kitsap County, WA. I picked up two cards at the retail outlet in Bremerton on Tuesday in anticipation of receiving my THD on Wednesday. It was on my porch when I got home Wednesday, and I had a family commitment later that evening, so I scrambled to start the guided setup. Got far enough to insert the cablecards and called Comcast to activate the cards. After giving the lady the card SNs, Host, and Data numbers she did some stuff on her end for several minutes then came back on the phone and said everything should be working within 8 or 10 minutes.

I had to run off to the family commitment so I wasn't able to test things out for a few hours. When I got back neither CC would tune any channels. I spent another hour or so on the phone with Comcast and nothing they did fixed the problem. It was late and I was tired, so I scheduled a service call for the weekend and gave up for the night.

The next evening I thought I'd give it one more shot and called Comcast again. I told the guy what had transpired the night before and he was skeptical that he would be able to fix the problem. He re-sent the signals to the CCs, and as he predicted nothing happened. I said goodbye to him and pretty much resigned myself to waiting for the tech to come out on Sunday. Before totally giving up I decided to re-perform Guided Setup just to see what would happen. Lo and behold, when it came time to insert the CCs, they worked perfectly. The next day things were still working, so I called to cancel the service appointment.

One weird thing I noticed is that the "Auth:" field in the Conditional Access screen wasn't consistent. After things started working, the authorization for CC#2 said "SUBSCRIBED" and CC#1 said "unknown." I didn't want to mess with it since everything was working fine, so I just checked the conditional access screen occasionally. The authorization field on CC#2 changed from time to time but I don't remember what the different entries were. CC#1 always said unknown. Some of the other fields on the CA screen changed periodically as well. I don't really know what all that means.

Today I took the Motorola HD DVR that the THD replaced back to the retail store. I still have one other Moto DVR on a different TV in the house. When I got home I checked the status of the THD and CC#1 wouldn't tune all the channels. It tuned channels below 30 and between about 104 and 115, but nothing else. The authorization on the CA screen said "NOT_SUBSCRIBED" for CC#1 and "SUBSCRIBED" for CC#2. I called Comcast and fiddled with the TiVo while on hold. I was testing channels on CC#1 while on hold and the box spontaneously rebooted. Of course, the CSR picked up while it was still starting up, so I explained what was going on and told him it should be done booting up in a few minutes. He asked if I had made any changes to my account recently and I told him I returned their DVR earlier today. He said he thought he knew what the problem was and I heard him typing away while we waited for the box to finish booting up. When it was done, he sent the signals to the CCs and everything works great as of now. He gave me some explanation like that if you return a device and they remove it from the list without moving the devices below it up, it will disable the device on the bottom of the list.

So anyway, short story long, it wasn't totally painless getting CCs out of Comcast and getting them working, but it wasn't nearly as much of a hassle as some of the horror stories I've read about on here. I count myself in the lucky column.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #4119
jasonlooney

Any suggestions

Received my TivoHD last Friday, had a truck roll on Monday to install 2 S-cards. The card in slot 1 works great, slot 2 is a no go, didn't realize till after the tech left. After hours on the phone had a second truck roll to replace the 2nd card on Tuesday. I wasn't able to be at home for the tech but my wife was. Tech basically told her that he had no clue on cable cards, didn't even know how to plug the thing in. He did best he could and left, still not getting encrypted channels on card 2.
Spent 2 hours on phone with a tech who actually seemed to know what he was doing. He did find that the card id's and host id's were listed on the wrong cards, which he supposedly corrected and sent a hit to the cards. Card 1 is still good to go, card 2 says "Waiting for EMMs". These are SA cards. Anyone have any ideas what I can do? I'm getting very frustrated with Comcast's apparent lack of knowledge and want to be able to tell them what to do to fix the problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jasonlooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #4120
kgt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by old64mb
Seeing a response like that makes me shiver because every time someone puts the onus on Tivo for a Comcast-caused problem, Comcast's ultimate goal - to drive Tivo under, buy the thing out of bankruptcy, and more than likely raise your rates by 100% - gets closer as the evil empire has won another one.

Tivo corporate has an awful lot of issues and I'm on record on several, but blaming them when in reality its their supplier who is doing their best to make it as complicated and painful as possible as they can legally get away with - not right.

It's one reason more reason why I've stuck with them even when I'm frustrated. The alternative is a lot worse.
I think you guys might be misunderstanding my post.

I'm not blaming Tivo for Comcast's problems. I'm simply saying that I'm looking forward to the Tivos working as designed to see if they're really worth $600 plus $20/month...
kgt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #4121
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt12
I think you guys might be misunderstanding my post.

I'm not blaming Tivo for Comcast's problems. I'm simply saying that I'm looking forward to the Tivos working as designed to see if they're really worth $600 plus $20/month...
I had the Comcast DVR as my primary for about a month, it was all I could take. I picked up a TiVoHD and didn't look back. For me it's worth it.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:42 AM   #4122
jlib
Lean Forward

Anyone getting their signal from Comcast Monterey could you please send me a private message. I have a question about new HD lineup.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #4123
drflounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase12
Hey everyone. First time long time. I am hoping and would greatly appreciate any help anyone could provide to my problem.

I have a TivoHD and went to the Comcast office here in Augusta, Ga. and picked up 2 S-Cards (M-Cards were not available). Got home and went through the routine setup, following the instructions to a T. Called Comcast, they activated both cards and stated they were getting signals from both cards. However, everytime I get on Live TV, the screen is grey, no channels will be displayed. It will have the channel lineups and what is supposed to be playing on that channel but will not show any video.

I do not know if this will help but when testing channels in the Decoder options, it will only let me access or "test" channel 92, and still gets no video. Will not let me test any other channel. When I go into diagnostics mode, both Tuners say "Not Tuned: Wrong Card State." But towards the bottom both cable cards say operating normally. Also at the bottom both cable cards are getting signal locks. I also checked the OOB and the number rises when exiting and re-entering network setup so according to Tivo Troubleshooting it is receiving data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated please. I will be up in the wee hours of the night trying to get my Tivo. Thanks for the help!
I'm having the exact same problem in Augusta. After about 4 truck rolls, a Comcast tech finally told me that they were having a problem communicating with the cable cards in TivoHDs. He said that they would call me back when they had a fix.

It's been about 10 days and I still haven't heard anything. I just called up Comcast customer no-service to check on the status and was told that they don't install cable cards in Tivos, only into TVs. I asked what the 4 techs had been trying to do when they showed up at my house and was told that I must be confused.

I'm just about fed up, but the only alternative I have is Knology which I've heard is even worse.
drflounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #4124
dipdewdog

Quote:
The THIRD person I talked to was amused (and somewhat annoyed) that I was watching channels that they are still testing. I guess I'm not supposed to be able to see them yet. At least this third person seemed happy to hear that the channels looked very good with no signal problems.

According to a post over on AVS Forum, Comcast of Montgomery County officially launched those channels (along with NFL HD on 246, but you have to pay extra for that) today. Comcast of the District added NFL HD and Food HD today, but we already have MHD on 229, so they'll either have to move it or find somewhere else for HGTV HD.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #4125
tmesser

Quote:
Speaking of this.... when comcast does update their lineup, how will the S3 units deal with it? With my old HR10 DirectTivo, anytime D* made any change to their lineup, I'd know it because my "channels I recieve" would get reset. With comcast+tivo, there are two seperate entities involved - one for guide data and one for the cable headend...
This happened to me a week or two ago when my local headend moved the various C-SPAN channels around (to take them off of analog and put them on digital, I think). The new channel locations showed up in Channels I Receive, but without any guide data. Presumably, that is because a new lineup was sent out and received via CableCARD. The next day, I got a guide data lineup update from TiVo when it connected.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #4126
dhoward

I have to admit that I am totally confused over whether to replace one of my S2DT units with a HDTivo. If I disregard all of the horror stories with Comcast installs I still cannot past the SDV dilemma. When mention of the "dongle" came out I thought ok that would solve the problem. But then it comes out that this device would come from the cable company, not Tivo. I don't trust them for much of anything. Not to mention that they might take as long to release that as they have taken to release the Comcast Tivo. I am leaning toward the Comcast Tivo but need to see more info on it. I love my Tivos but CC and SDV may just be to much of a hurdle. The Comcast box will be more per month, then Tivo, but if I factor in the $250 hardware cost of the TIVO over a 3 year period (249/36) plus the MSD rate of $6.95 then that is equivalent to roughly $14.00/month. That is close to the Comcast Tivo monthly rate. I know that eventually any problems with the CC install will get solved but..the SDV might not. I am really on the fence.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:40 PM   #4127
kgt12

Updating my previous posts from the last few days, Comcast came out again today and managed to get only 1 of my 2 boxes working.

Full story can be found here : http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=372525

I can't imagine any 'normal' user would be able to go through this process. It's absurd. [Normal meaning your average customer who not only doesn't read/post on forums, but doesn't even know they exist.]
kgt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #4128
Pvgibbs

I had fairly decent experience with Comcast King County (WA) installing CC in my HD. When requesting the CableCard install from Comcast, I told them a couple of times to have the tech bring multiple M and S cards.

The tech arrived yesterday with 2 sets of M cards and 2 S cards, but said "this is my first time with Tivo". (sigh)

Luckily - he had someone via his Nextel phone who he called before he started the install.
Here was what I overheard the experienced tech tell my tech:
- "There should be an Installer sheet from Tivo with exact steps that you need to follow"
- "Use the S-Cards as I had issues with the M-cards and there is a software issue with Tivo and M-Cards"
- "After you install the cards and if you still have trouble, call Tivo"

After about 20 mins and three calls to Comcast to authorize the cards, the tech had both cards installed with no issues. Fairly painless.

Now if they would only make a blu-ray PLAYER-TivoHD combo
Pvgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #4129
lateknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvgibbs
- "Use the S-Cards as I had issues with the M-cards and there is a software issue with Tivo and M-Cards"
Anyone else heard anything about this? I know that TiVo suggests that you use M-cards when possible. Could this be part of the headache everyone's been having?
lateknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #4130
GaryD9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateknight
Anyone else heard anything about this? I know that TiVo suggests that you use M-cards when possible. Could this be part of the headache everyone's been having?
On the tivoHD, its usually simplier to just use a single MCard. For the Series3, however, its probably easier from the installers point of view to use a pair of SCards...

The reason is that the Series3's seem to be shipping with version 8.0.1a of the software. That version doesn't recognize MCards whatsoever as a valid cable card. If the Series3 software has been updated to 8.0.1c or greater, it'll recognize the MCard as valid, but treat it as an SCard...

So, if the installer shows up with 2 MCArds for a series3, and the device still has the factory software (8.0.1a), then those two cards are useless...

If I were an installer, I'd err on the side of caution and just assume that any new Series3 tivo only had factory software, and just bring SCards... and save the time of having to come back the next day after the Series3 decides to update its software (or saving the time of having to run back to a warehouse to get different CC's)
Old 11-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #4131
pl1

Quote:
On the tivoHD, its usually simplier to just use a single MCard. For the Series3, however, its probably easier from the installers point of view to use a pair of SCards...)
You are assuming that they know all that much information. The installer that visited me tried to insert the cableCARDs in the front of the Series 3 (THD is in the front, S3 in back), so to think the installer has the information you are suggesting seems far fetched. If he/she is experienced, then your point is well taken.

OTOH, I don't know if this is a trend, but my cableguy said that there are no more S-Cards. They are only installing M-Cards. And based on my own personal experience, the M-Cards were much tougher to get activated. The cableguy never got anything validated or authorized. I had to make numerous calls to get it done on my own. I had no issues at all with two S-Cards. (But, I believe that the real reason I had problems was that the Comcast CSR entered the data ID for one of my new cableCARDs into the slot for one of my current cableCARDs, thereby rendering both dead.)
Old 11-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #4132
Pvgibbs

Quote:
If I were an installer, I'd err on the side of caution and just assume that any new Series3 tivo only had factory software, and just bring SCards
I think this is what the "experienced" tech guy was basing his advice on in my install.

Of course, I was already running 9.2 at the time -- and I should have said "lets TRY 1-M card first"...but oh well, it works for now.

Now if they would only make a blu-ray PLAYER-TivoHD combo
Pvgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #4133
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvgibbs
I think this is what the "experienced" tech guy was basing his advice on in my install. Of course, I was already running 9.2 at the time -- and I should have said "lets TRY 1-M card first"...but oh well, it works for now.
I think the info was regarding the series 3 as opposed to the THD. The series 3 will use the M-Card in single tuner mode only (while the THD can use the M-card in dual-tuner mode). But, the Series 3 will not use the M-Card at all unless it is updated with the 9.x update. (Oops, 8.0.1c or greater as previously posted.)
Old 11-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #4134
TheOrkinMan

Walked into the Redmond Comcast payment center after work yesterday. Told the gal behind the counter that I'd just gotten a TivoHD and needed a cablecard. She said "Do you want 2 S-Cards or 1 M-Card?". I said "1 M-Card, please". 3 minutes later I was leaving with my M-Card.

Planning on doing the install Saturday morning (hope that isn't a mistake). Still have my Comcast DVR on (cable split between it and the Tivo). I can easily switch back and forth between the 2, so should be able to compare should anything go wrong.

Here's a question - my new TivoHD is running 8.1xxx software. I've signed up for the 9.2 upgrade - should I wait for that or is it ok to do the cablecard install with 8.1?
TheOrkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #4135
ssvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrkinMan
Here's a question - my new TivoHD is running 8.1xxx software. I've signed up for the 9.2 upgrade - should I wait for that or is it ok to do the cablecard install with 8.1?

I just did mine three weeks ago before 9.2 on TiVOHD with the M-Card. I got mine from Olympia, Wa.

Make sure to tell the person activating it that it is an M-CARD.. I stressed that several times till he finally listened.. Then it worked..
ssvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #4136
GaryD9

Quote:
When I had my TivoHD, I did the MCard install with the 8.1 software... everything worked fine. 2 days later, it upgraded directly to 9.2J
Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #4137
tluxon

Quote:
Walked into the Redmond Comcast payment center after work yesterday. Told the gal behind the counter that I'd just gotten a TivoHD and needed a cablecard. She said "Do you want 2 S-Cards or 1 M-Card?". I said "1 M-Card, please". 3 minutes later I was leaving with my M-Card.

Planning on doing the install Saturday morning (hope that isn't a mistake). Still have my Comcast DVR on (cable split between it and the Tivo). I can easily switch back and forth between the 2, so should be able to compare should anything go wrong...
That's good to know. I'm a Redmond Comcast customer as well and that's pretty much how it went when I got the CableCard for my Mitsubishi TV.

We have two of the Comcast DVRs and I'm really considering replacing them with a couple TivoHD's now that TTG/MRV/TTCB is enabled. I'm really curious how the playback capabilities compare because I watch a lot of ballgames in various speeds of fast-forward and not all DVRs are created equal when it comes to that.

Is Costco the best place around here to pick up a new TivoHD?
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #4138
petteri

Agh. OK, just got off the phone with Comcast. My Center Ice package is only coming in on one cable card. I thought, no biggie, I just call up and they'll "hit" that card and I'll be good to go. Don't know why I thought that! They want to roll a truck so the guy can fix it with a machine that he will bring. I really don't have time for this. I tried to speak with someone else, but that went no where. I guess I'll try calling later. Comcastic!
petteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #4139
drflounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drflounder
I'm having the exact same problem in Augusta. After about 4 truck rolls, a Comcast tech finally told me that they were having a problem communicating with the cable cards in TivoHDs. He said that they would call me back when they had a fix.

It's been about 10 days and I still haven't heard anything. I just called up Comcast customer no-service to check on the status and was told that they don't install cable cards in Tivos, only into TVs. I asked what the 4 techs had been trying to do when they showed up at my house and was told that I must be confused.

I'm just about fed up, but the only alternative I have is Knology which I've heard is even worse.
Just to give an update in case anyone else from Augusta, GA is reading, I managed to get back in touch with the original Comcast tech. He said one of their engineers had been working with Motorola to get the issue fixed but was unable to get anywhere. He said he would call me back if any progress was made, but the tone in his voice indicated that Comcast considered it a dead issue. Comcast's solution was for me just to get one of their DVRs.

I don't really want to, but I don't see that I have any choice but to give up. I can't force Comcast to get their hardware straightened out, and they aren't going to expend the effort to do it on their own.

So if you're an Augusta GA Comcast subscriber, skip the TivoHD for now.
drflounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #4140
pninen

Angry Comcast 16 day wait for cablecard

I called 1-800-COMCAST this morning 11/1, and ordered for 2 cablecards for my mom's new TiVo HD. The fellow on the phone said that the EARLIEST he could send someone to my house was 11/17 !!! They want me to wait 16 days for installation of a cablecard. This is nuts.

My 85 year old mom will not be able to deal with this, so I need to be present, and I live 450 miles away. If I could arrange this visit during the next few days, I'd still be here. Apparently I'm going to need to fly back on the 17th to babysit a comcast guy as he plugs in 2 cable cards. This is nuts.

I explained my difficulty, and asked if there was some other way to arrange this. Nope.

I didn't believe him, so I drove to the local comcast office where I'd found the people helpful before. Asked if they could do better. Nope. Asked them if they could give me the cablecards and let me selfinstall. Nope. (I know their policy is to send out the dork, but I figured if I was standing there in person I'd have a shot.) Nope.

So how long have others waited for the silly cablecard housecall?

To say I am disappointed in Comcast's performance here is an understatement.

By the way, the pricing was:
$1.79/mo for the 2 cable cards
$8/mo for High Def (they swear I have to pay this in spite of the fact that there's no converter box)
$15.99 installation fee

The install is in the Monterey, CA area.
pninen is offline   Reply With Quote