Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #4021
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateknight
...They quoted me a price of "around" $97 for Internet, Digital Basic and the HD charge. Does the $97/month sound right to you guys?
The HD charge up is for their HD box. Since you are using your own hardware you should get them to remove that. HD is free. Also, they are going to have to take a trap off your line so make sure you ask for a Comcast technician not a contractor in his beat up pickup with no ladder.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #4022
lateknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
The HD charge up is for their HD box. Since you are using your own hardware you should get them to remove that. HD is free. Also, they are going to have to take a trap off your line so make sure you ask for a Comcast technician not a contractor in his beat up pickup with no ladder.
Good to know...I took the tack with the CSR of wanting them to take off the $7 charge because I was using my own equipment and he responded that the fee was to "have the HD signal come down the line". Now I know to have them take that off as well. So basically, since I have one multistream card in my own box...the only thing I should have to pay for is the digital cable package I choose, right?

P.S. Costco has the THD for $279.99...is this a reasonable deal considering I'll be able to pick it up the same day?
lateknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #4023
lateknight

Hmmm so I just looked at Comcast's website again and it definitely looks like the HD charge is for the equipment...however, it says "HDTV service requires Digital Preferred Plus or Above cable service subscription" does this mean that with Digital Starter package on a TivoHD with an HDTV I won't be able to get HD content?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #4024
john wiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamous
Yes thank you. It's really not helpful though.

I'm beginning to think it is a cable company comcast issue. We'll see on Saturday.
I got my working today. The Comcast phone support couldn't help me and wanted me to wait another 7 days until a cable card tech came out to my house. I told them I wanted to talk to a manager then asked the manager to have the tech who install my Mcard to call me, 5 min. after talking to the tech over the phone all my channel starting work. He told me that he need to get someone to link my services to my card.
Premier (For Sale) 320GB v20.3.7.1a
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg
john wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #4025
kiwiquest

I called Comcast today to see what the local company charges for cable cards in our area (Memphis), I was surprised when she made it sound like i was speaking a different language or something......she finally transfered me to someone else who told me that the charge would be $2.75 for each card. I told them that according to their faq on their website the first card is suppose to be free and the 2nd one up to $1.91.

I was planning to get a series 3 and a thd, but it would sure be nice to know the exact charges for everything ahead of time.
kiwiquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #4026
john wiens

kiwiquest. Per Comcast new prices list that was mail to York, Pa customer is going take affect Nov07 show the price as $2.00 up from $1.50.
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg
Old 10-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #4027
john wiens

Hey lateknight, ComCast phone support don't now what it needed when cable card are used. They told me there no way I currently watching HD show without having the HD services that they don't see assigned to my account. They wanted to give me HD serice and told them not to change anything. Per the tech that install my hardware said I didn't need it. That funny. We will see when the bill comes. I talk to 5 different Comcast support personal and got 5 different stories. I final just asked for 2 S-card or 1 M-card and I originally had a cable box with Digital Preferred.
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg
Old 10-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #4028
Tony1746

Question Is 2nd CC Working???

After seeing all that has been written regarding pixelation/audio issues, firmware and CC problems (especially SA), and not the least provider installation issues, with much trepidation I received my first Series 3 unit late last week. I was pleasantly surprised to receive v9.2.J yesterday and have Comcast arrive with two Moto S cards this morning (that's two down!!). Installation of the first card went very smoothly, although I can see where the installers are not enamoured with hanging on the phone, getting cut off, and basically having the validation process take too long. But so far, so good.....

Once we moved to the second card however, things got a little weird. The card seemed to initialize OK (hostID/unit/etc.), but the guy on the other end said the card didn't exist. We swapped the card for a new one, but this one came up with all zeros for the s/n, hostID, and data. Since the installer only had three cards, he said I needed to call for another appointment. He left me with the card that "didn't exist". Since it couldn't be validated, obviously no channels would show up during a channel test.

Anyway, after he left, I played around with my "one-tuner system" and was amazed to discover that I was able to record two digital/HD programs at the same time, as well as switch between the two tuners (pressing the "Live TV" button) as if everything is good to go.......... I've since gone in and verified that the second card is still not valid !!

Anyone have any idea how this is possible?????? Should I count my blessings and cancel the followup call. I considered popping out the second card to see what changes, but didn't want to jinx it. BTW, I also verified that both cards were S-cards.

Signed,
Pleased and confused at the same time.
Tony1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #4029
lateknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by john wiens
Hey lateknight, ComCast phone support don't now what it needed when cable card are used. They told me there no way I currently watching HD show without having the HD services that they don't see assigned to my account. They wanted to give me HD serice and told them not to change anything. Per the tech that install my hardware said I didn't need it. That funny. We will see when the bill comes. I talk to 5 different Comcast support personal and got 5 different stories. I final just asked for 2 S-card or 1 M-card and I originally had a cable box with Digital Preferred.
That works for me...I figure I'll just ask for the lowest digital package and the M-Card...can anyone else confirm that the HD signal still works with the smallest Digital package?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #4030
owenc

Quote:
That works for me...I figure I'll just ask for the lowest digital package and the M-Card...can anyone else confirm that the HD signal still works with the smallest Digital package?
As far as I know you will get local HD with Digital starter, but if you want Discovery, ESPN, etc. you will need Digital Plus
owenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #4031
lateknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc
As far as I know you will get local HD with Digital starter, but if you want Discovery, ESPN, etc. you will need Digital Plus
Hmmm...might be worth it...for another $30/month I'll have to get the wife hooked on HD, then pitch the upgrade...thanks!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #4032
john wiens

LateKnight, One thing I forgot. $1.50 for for the 2nd card and $8.90 per months to get Digital Preferred on the 2nd turner, otherwise all you'll get is basic channels. local HD channels are free with the 2nd card without getting Digital Preferred.
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg
Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #4033
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc
In most areas, local HD works with just limited basic. No need for any digital service.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #4034
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
LateKnight, One thing I forgot. $1.50 for for the 2nd card and $8.90 per months to get Digital Preferred on the 2nd turner, otherwise all you'll get is basic channels. local HD channels are free with the 2nd card without getting Digital Preferred.
Other than the $1.50-$2.00 for the second card, there shouldn't be any additional charge for the second tuner/card.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #4035
john wiens

I hope your right, getting infomation from Comcast is like getting a job at NSA
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg
Old 10-24-2007, 12:08 AM   #4036
murryamorris

Quote:
So I am finally getting my new TV, which (of course) will require the purchase of a THD and upgrade to Comcast Digital Cable. I called yesterday to get a price quote, and I wanted to run past you guys what I was told to see if what they told me was in the right range. We currently have analog cable and internet through Comcast. I'll be keeping the Internet and moving to the Digital Basic Package with the HD channels. They quoted me a price of "around" $97 for Internet, Digital Basic and the HD charge. I confirmed that a single M-Card was included in the price. They tried to sell me on the Triple Play for $99/month which I assume doesn't include the HD charge. The wife and I currently just use our cell phones and don't have a home phone...any reason to add Digital Voice? Does the $97/month sound right to you guys? Can't wait to move up in the TV world! Thanks for the help!

Patrick

P.S. I'm in the Oakland, CA area...anyone in that area have good/bad/indifferent luck with installers?
Sounds about right to me. We paid about $90 for the same package before adding a tier. There should be no HD charge though. We had extra CC though.

I didn't see much reason to use their digital voice since we've had Vonage for a long time and it's pretty low cost and works fine.
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #4037
murryamorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1746
After seeing all that has been written regarding pixelation/audio issues, firmware and CC problems (especially SA), and not the least provider installation issues, with much trepidation I received my first Series 3 unit late last week. I was pleasantly surprised to receive v9.2.J yesterday and have Comcast arrive with two Moto S cards this morning (that's two down!!). Installation of the first card went very smoothly, although I can see where the installers are not enamoured with hanging on the phone, getting cut off, and basically having the validation process take too long. But so far, so good.....

Once we moved to the second card however, things got a little weird. The card seemed to initialize OK (hostID/unit/etc.), but the guy on the other end said the card didn't exist. We swapped the card for a new one, but this one came up with all zeros for the s/n, hostID, and data. Since the installer only had three cards, he said I needed to call for another appointment. He left me with the card that "didn't exist". Since it couldn't be validated, obviously no channels would show up during a channel test.

Anyway, after he left, I played around with my "one-tuner system" and was amazed to discover that I was able to record two digital/HD programs at the same time, as well as switch between the two tuners (pressing the "Live TV" button) as if everything is good to go.......... I've since gone in and verified that the second card is still not valid !!

Anyone have any idea how this is possible?????? Should I count my blessings and cancel the followup call. I considered popping out the second card to see what changes, but didn't want to jinx it. BTW, I also verified that both cards were S-cards.

Signed,
Pleased and confused at the same time.
You sure that first slot isn't a multistream card?
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #4038
PooperScooper

S3's don't support M-cards.

larry
PooperScooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #4039
reneg

I was preparing myself for the worst as I received my two Tivo HDs. I called the Comcast 800 number and asked if i could pick up cable-cards at my local payment center or if I needed a tech to come to my house for the install. I was told I could just pick up the cable cards at the payment center. I was skeptical but went to my local Comcast payment center prepared to stand in line for 30 minutes. I was quite surprised when i was the only one there and got waited on immediately. I asked about cable cards for a Tivo and she told me it would be no problem and gave me 2 Mcable cards. She scanned the serial numbers off the cable cards, and gave me a local phone number to call when I installed them.

I ran the Tivos through their guided setup without the cable cards, popped the cable cards in the Tivos and called Comcast on the local number I was given. He had me navigate to the cable card configuration and read him 3 sets of numbers for each cable card. Once more through guided setup and both tivos with cable cards were up and running. The tech on the phone asked that I don't mess (power off/remove cable cards) with the Tivos and cable cards for the next 24 hours. That was fine with me because I was getting my channels and started setting up my season passes.

Overall, a very smooth installation and a much better experience that I expected.

Only negative is that the Tivo remote does not recognize Hewlett-Packard TVs. I tried the last resort codes with 0999 on the remote setup, but it's a dead end.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #4040
Gene Plantz
Four Tivos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
S3's don't support M-cards.

larry
not quite correct.

Comcast installed 2 M-cards in my S3 yesterday. They function as S-cards but will work.
Gene Plantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #4041
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg
Overall, a very smooth installation and a much better experience that I expected.

Great. This is the kind of experience I hope to have.

Do you mind saying where you are located?
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #4042
Tony1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by murryamorris
You sure that first slot isn't a multistream card?

That's what I initially thought. I checked (I believe it's in Diagnostics) and the system reported both as S-cards. Anyway, sometime before the guy comes back, I'll pop it out and see if the behavior changes.
Tony1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #4043
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry
Great. This is the kind of experience I hope to have.

Do you mind saying where you are located?
NW Houston area
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #4044
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg
NW Houston area

I think I remember someone else in this thread from Tomball saying they were able to self-install.

We use to live in the FM 1960 area close to the old Compaq campus.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #4045
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry
I think I remember someone else in this thread from Tomball saying they were able to self-install.

We use to live in the FM 1960 area close to the old Compaq campus.
To my knowledge all of us in Houston were able to pick up our own cards, much easier then a truck roll.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #4046
DUSlider

I just wanted to post with my experience with Comcast setting up my TivoHD with an M card...

Appt was setup for between 10:30-12:30. They arrived at 12:20pm, after calling to say they were enroute. They actually ended up rolling 2 trucks to speed up the process. Had to have some work done to the lines first as they were dry rotting.... (explained the tiling problem I had on the higher channels).

Once that was done they got to work. They had brought 4 M cards, fortunately the first one worked, though it took some jiggling of the card, it didn't seem to seat itself properly. A call to comcast and they removed the old HD DVR box and one of my older digital boxes that I wasn't using anymore.

The tech initially went to install the card in slot 2, she stated she had played around with a Tivo the other day but didn't remember if it was a HD Tivo. The second guy had done one otherone the other day.

We had to go through the guided setup one more time and after a few calls to comcast and a few restarts everything was working. Premium channels and Sports HD didn't work right away, though after the last restart they worked fine.

So overall it was a good experience. It took about 2 hours total. I wasn't as satisfied with their level of knowledge that I would have liked, but they got it working without too much hassle.

I'm in SE Bucks County, PA for those wondering...
DUSlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #4047
david4788

I just don't understand why those in other locations can walk into the office and pick up their cards. Here in Howard County, MD...don't even think about it. I'm still trying to get ahold of an old contact I had there to help me out. Called 3x and got told 3 differnt prices and policies....Seriously thinking of FIOS for just the TiVOHD and cable for the rest of the house ( I don't want or pay for all the boxes that FIOS requires).
david4788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #4048
john wiens

PooperScooper, You said that S3's don't support M-card, that not 100% ture. The TiVo HD DVR per (system infomation) is a Series3, my is working find with a M-Card. Are you talking about this TiVo Series3 HD DVR with THX-certification
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg
Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #4049
john wiens

david4788, I live just north of you in Red Lion, Pa. If the tech come out to your house like my did, their will test the line and replace all cable ends from the street to your TV, and remove any splitter not needed. It made a big different in my case. Also they want to charge you the $15.56
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg
Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #4050
david4788

Quote:
david4788, I live just north of you in Red Lion, Pa. If the tech come out to your house like my did, their will test the line and replace all cable ends from the street to your TV, and remove any splitter not needed. It made a big different in my case. Also they want to charge you the $15.56

Yea I know, but I used to do high end systems and know that the connection from the street is new and is a direct shot to my a/v distribution that has all high end stuff with a great signal. I don't have a problem with a $15-20 install, it's that they send out people that have NO IDEA what they are doing especially when they see my complex a/v room (equipment room). On top of that I really don't want them seeing all my equipment and where it is located in the house (security issues).
david4788 is offline   Reply With Quote