TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2007, 05:00 AM   #3721
jlib
Lean Forward

Users should fill in their location information. Also, if any advisement is desired notate the cable card screen info. Or if one wants to purely vent that is totally fine, too.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #3722
PHeadland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwarren
Monthly card cost is 8.99
That is wrong. If you only get one card (you only need one M card for a TiVo HD), it should cost ZERO. The first connection charge is bundled into your cable package, and includes the cable card or a non-HD set-top box. In fact, if you are returning one of Comcast's DVRs, your bill should be reduced by ~$5.
PHeadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 AM   #3723
PHeadland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus
I was informed that I would no longer be getting TNTHD, UHD, ect unless I opted to pay an $11.99/month fee.
That is 100% BS. Your Comcast package includes a base set of HD channels, including the ones you mention. You need to keep escalating this.

PS: It would be a huge help if you updated your profile to include your location, since experiences vary so widely by region.
PHeadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #3724
kdwarren

Yep, I agree with all of you 8.99 is too much. I think they were adding in some fee for HD channels. I told them I already subscribe and pay for the channels I need.

this is for my primary outlet and I got someone in sales that told me the others I spoke to were wrong. My 1st card is free and if I need a second (which I doubt I do) it would be 1.50. I like that price much better. And when I turn in the crappy Comcast DVR I will get a few bucks savings on my bill.

My hubby and I are both going to try to get a card at a local comcast.

last time called to upgrage us to the HD package we have now and the CSR said he could not by any means get a comcast box at a local store and install himself.
So he made the apt but still went to the store and the lady just handed him one over the counter plus a second aditional free one (not a hd DVR though) we can use somewhere else in the house. He had her also cancel his installation apt. I had a neighbor that got their HD package by intsallation and they did not get the free extra box.

So I hope he can get lucky again with the cable cards. if not I still have my apt Fri.

thanks for all your help everyone!

I am so excited to dump that Comcast DVR !!!! I hate that thing!! It is super slow and seems to not work well with my harmony remote but tivo has no problems.

Karen
kdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM   #3725
tmesser

I picked up a THD yesterday and set it up for OTA (just in time for premiere week!) for now, until I finish watching the last few shows on my S2DT and move it out of the way to hook up the existing cable connection (I don't much feel like adding another splitter or buying a 3-way, and the box is going to a friend very soon).

I already have Comcast Digital Preferred with HBO, and I have one CableCARD in my Sony TV that I intend to leave alone. I visited my local Comcast office across the street this afternoon and was told they don't hand out CCs, so I called for an install. I told them I have a TiVo and that it can use 1 M-Card or 2 S-Cards; the rep said he would note it on the work order. When I requested that the tech bring extra cards, he said, "They always carry extras." After reading stories here, I know better.

The CC install for my TV was painless last November. I hope this one is just as smooth. *crosses fingers*
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #3726
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I upgraded from Digital Starter to Digital Preferred Plus -- but I'm not getting any of the Preferred Tier channels. Comcast tried refreshing the card twice, and I tried recycling the power twice -- no luck. So now they're sending a tech out on Saturday.

If they can't get those preferred channels, I may just tell Comcast to take me back to the original Digital Starter package and let it go at that. For now, anyway.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #3727
notabbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwarren
My hubby and I are both going to try to get a card at a local comcast.
Did you say earlier that you were in Chicago? If so, the Comcast location on North Avenue doesn't have any of the multi-stream cards as of this morning, but they're going to call me when they know when they'll have them. In the meantime, I just keep scheduling tech visits on the hope that one of them will actually have the right card. For whatever reason, dual single-streams refuse to work properly (on the second tuner) with my HD box, and even the Comcast people who know what they're talking about can't figure out why.

Later,
COZ
notabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #3728
tmesser

Well, here we go.

The Comcast installer (company employee, not a contractor) showed up around 9:15 this morning. He had two S-Cards with him, which I knew wouldn't be much help if one was bad. After asking me, "Well, wouldn't it have been cheaper to get our DVR?" he put both cards in at the same time and called dispatch. (At least he didn't have a problem with me holding the remote and navigating the TiVo menus.)

The card in slot 1 returned a 161-1 error. He didn't know what the error meant, and neither did dispatch; I had to tell him it indicated a bad card. The card in slot 2 was fine. While on the phone with dispatch, he took the bad card out of slot 1, put the card from slot 2 into slot 1, and verified the host/data info with the tech on the phone. I confirmed that I can receive the digital tier and my premiums. Naturally, he had no extra cards with him because he thought I was only getting one card, so the second one was his "extra." He told me to call Comcast to get another one.

The end result: I have one CC and OTA, and I have to schedule another appointment. Could have been worse, I suppose, but this is still annoying.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #3729
jak117

I hoped for the best when I purchased my new TiVo HD. Things went well initially, the North Ave store in Chicago DOES hand out CableCARDs for self-install. In fact, the service rep told me they do it all the time and people usually have no problem with installation. After getting home, I ran through guided setup and inserted the CableCARD when instructed. I then contacted Comcast via the chat feature (as suggested earlier in this thread) to activate the card. Within a few minutes, I was able to see the basic channels (NBC, ABC, other locals). An hour later, I chatted with the same person because digital channels were not coming in (e.g. ESPN, TNT).

The immediate reply this time was to send a tech, which I wanted to avoid. Long story short, 2 phone CSRs and 2 online has left me with only analog channels. My gut feeling is that it is an authorization problem on Comcast's side, but all they seem to be able to do is send "signals" to it, I tried to give the data id, etc, but that was not on their screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The card came from the warehouse and I did read that someone needed an extra step to get the card set-up. I have not tried having them strip down my account yet - I may tonight after calling TiVo support. I have a tech coming tomorrow morning, but would prefer to avoid it if possible.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks
jak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #3730
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak117
I hoped for the best when I purchased my new TiVo HD. Things went well initially, the North Ave store in Chicago DOES hand out CableCARDs for self-install. In fact, the service rep told me they do it all the time and people usually have no problem with installation. After getting home, I ran through guided setup and inserted the CableCARD when instructed. I then contacted Comcast via the chat feature (as suggested earlier in this thread) to activate the card. Within a few minutes, I was able to see the basic channels (NBC, ABC, other locals). An hour later, I chatted with the same person because digital channels were not coming in (e.g. ESPN, TNT).

The immediate reply this time was to send a tech, which I wanted to avoid. Long story short, 2 phone CSRs and 2 online has left me with only analog channels. My gut feeling is that it is an authorization problem on Comcast's side, but all they seem to be able to do is send "signals" to it, I tried to give the data id, etc, but that was not on their screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The card came from the warehouse and I did read that someone needed an extra step to get the card set-up. I have not tried having them strip down my account yet - I may tonight after calling TiVo support. I have a tech coming tomorrow morning, but would prefer to avoid it if possible.

Thanks
What kind of cards do you have? Mot or SA?
What does your CP screen say for both cards?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #3731
kdwarren

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabbott
Did you say earlier that you were in Chicago? If so, the Comcast location on North Avenue doesn't have any of the multi-stream cards as of this morning, but they're going to call me when they know when they'll have them. In the meantime, I just keep scheduling tech visits on the hope that one of them will actually have the right card. For whatever reason, dual single-streams refuse to work properly (on the second tuner) with my HD box, and even the Comcast people who know what they're talking about can't figure out why.

Later,
COZ
I am live west of Chicago about 1 hour or so. I sure hope my area one has the right card. My hubby is gonna be pissed if he took off work for the installation for nothing.

Karen
kdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #3732
jak117

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy
What kind of cards do you have? Mot or SA?
It's a Motorola M-Card, branded with a Motorola sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy
What does your CP screen say for both cards?
From memory (not home right now), the CP screen showed that the card had connected successfully and seemed to be receiving information. The auth status was listed as "MP" I believe. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for when I get home?

Quote:
the Comcast location on North Avenue doesn't have any of the multi-stream cards as of this morning, but they're going to call me when they know when they'll have them
Sorry, I think I got the last of them yesterday afternoon. The CSR claimed that more would be in sometime today. They had to go to the warehouse to find even one M-card.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #3733
Patranus

Per my last post. A new tech game out yesterday. I was told he was "the best" with CableCards in the East Bay. I was told when he left he checked both tuners and that everything worked fine. I was also told that I would have to talk to billing about my channel situation which is understandable.

When I got home, I had the exact same problem except that the slots where the cards worked were switched. Before, slot 1 was getting information and slot 2 did not work. Now slot 2 is getting information and slot 1 is not working. It clearly states that the card is not getting channel list data and has an error "Unknown 4" in some field.

I called Comcast and was hung up on by a customer service rep. I Called back and the next rep guided me through all of the steps that I have gone through 1000 times. I was transfered to someone else who had me remove the cable cards and repeat the "Guided Setup" again. This took an hour or so. The rep claimed he was sending signals to my box and was doing everything he could. Nothing fixed my problem.

Instead of sending out another rep, my case is being escalated to their IT department. I am scheduled to have a call back with the rep I talked to and IT on Wednesday.

I have not been offered any sort of discount or credit on my bill. Maybe I should call the customer retention department.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on my next step?

I love my TiVo but if I can't get it to work, I am going to have to return it or put it on EBay. I feel like a child giving up a puppy or something...
Patranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #3734
dsnyde27

Angry Another fine mess thanks to Comcast

OK... I live in Shrewsbury, PA in what was once an Adelphia cable system but is now Comcast. It's a motorola based system. I received a Tivo Series 3 HD and promptly called Comcast to schedule an install. The tech arrives 30 minutes early on a Saturday afternoon (excellent!) and being a prior systems engineer for a cable company who is VERY intimate with CableCards on an SA system, I'm thinking 20 minutes tops! First off, the cards are so brand new that this is the first M-Card that the tech has ever saw and only the 2nd CC install he's ever done. No problem, I know how they work.... so I insert the first card and access the pairing screen to give the tech the necessary info to call dispatch and setup the pairing and activation. A few hits later, boom, I have channel map and Validation in the conditional access screen. BUT, no encrypted channels are coming through... I get all the unencrypted OTA HD and the Music Choice stuff, but no Digital Tier or Premiums..... so they try the 2nd card.... it never gets anywhere... they look up the history of that card and gee... it did the same thing on the last 3 installs!! What genius decided to keep this card in rotation!? So, in the end I have one validated card that has the channel information with an auth code of "0C" which I've never heard of.... no video on any encrypted channel.... so they setup a return trouble call. Meanwhile I'm digging around for solutions and documentation on the forums... Monday another tech arrives (10 minutes early!) and immediately knows that there is a service code/billing code issue. He's happy as hell to see a successful validation... But after a bazillion hits and no results he elects to try two new cards. 1st card goes in, and validates, pulls a channel map, next card goes in, validates and also pulls the channel map.... neither card shows any encrypted channels.... After calling all over creation, the tech finally finds someone who knows a little something more than "Let me send it a hit" who actually builds an M-Card in the system (it wasn't defined yet?) and then sets up the cards in my account (supposedly putting them first in the equipment list at my request) and then assigning the channels to the cards.... sends a big hit and.... nothing.
The tech is telling this CSR that it is DEFINITELY a service code issue since the cards received the channel map and can tune the unencrypted channels (sniff!, I was SO proud!) but they won't hear of it..... He leaves. I'm stuck....
Today I call Comcast and tell them that I need my cable cards to work as expected and they immediately want to schedule a service call! I tell them that all that is going to do is have a tech standing in my living room talking to a CSR about service codes which is the same thing I'm doing RIGHT NOW! They fiddle with some code that was missing on one card and tell me to check it when I get home.... which I KNOW isn't going to fix it since neither card could tune so one code missing on one card isn't going to matter... Now I get to look forward to being enslaved to the phone while I go through the entire Comcast CSR staff to finally find one that knows how to assign the proper codes to my cards or can possibly BUILD the codes needed to assign to my cards and get me working..... What else can I do to get this resolved??? This is PAINFULLY stupid!! I could auth a cable card in 15 seconds from anywhere in the world... (probably couldn't now - you guessed it, Comcast bought that cable company... lol)
so Now what!? (throwing up hands in frustration)
dsnyde27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #3735
dsnyde27

Red face

Quote:
It's a Motorola M-Card, branded with a Motorola sticker.

From memory (not home right now), the CP screen showed that the card had connected successfully and seemed to be receiving information. The auth status was listed as "MP" I believe. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for when I get home?

Sorry, I think I got the last of them yesterday afternoon. The CSR claimed that more would be in sometime today. They had to go to the warehouse to find even one M-card.

Thanks for the help!
an auth status of 'MP' is NOT good and you might want to check the Val: status on the conditional access screen as I have a feeling that you will have a '? 0:00' there which means that you aren't paired properly in the system (you should have a 'V' and anything other than zero in the '0x00' field) V is for Validated (your host ID and Card ID were successfully paired in the system and the cable card validated the signals coming downstream assigned to the 'pair')

You should check the Network Access screen to make sure the Messages counter is rising... view the current number and then go back a screen and wait a few seconds then go back to the Network Access screen and see if the number incremented. If so then the card is receiving 'hits' from the system - if it's sitting at '0' and never goes anywhere, then it's not seeing anything from the system, indicating a possible problem with the cabling, the cable card, or a maybe a bad splitter in your home

Good Luck!!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #3736
BPlexico

2nd Multistream Cablecard in Marin

Well after a very long day - I have my Tivo HD working with a Motorola Multi stream cablecard.

Appointment window was 8AM-12PM on Sunday. After no one shows up I call the Comcast office - they say the tech did not show because he did not have any cards. So they apologize, call tech and schedule an appointment for 1PM-5PM same day with assurance tech now has a multi stream Cablecard.

5PM no tech has arrived. I call Comcast office again. They hunt thru records, see no appointment, transfer me to a dispatcher who locates record. They call Tech to see where he is. They call me back and say the tech should be there around 6PM for install. Tech calls and he has no idea what the job is for, nor that I needed a cablecard installed.

545PM I call Comcast because at this point I have little faith they will show up. Speak to supervisor, he calls tech - finds out Tech has no cablecards and so they arrange for tech to pickup a card from another tech in area.

645PM the tech shows up at house. He explains he never had me listed as an appointment for the day nor did he know I needed a cablecard installed. Fortunately he has gotten the multistream card and has worked on Tivos before.

Install goes fine - we swap in the new multi stream card for my single cablecard that I already had installed. They are able to get all my stations, including the Digital preferred package after about 30 minutes (at first they only got the basic channels).

They determine the need to give the office the Cablecard serial # as opposed to Host ID to activate the multi stream card.

But they cannot get the HBO channels to come in (they were not able to do this the previous week either with the existing card.). That's ok for now - I am happy and the multi stream card works for dual tuning.

I callback Tuesday about getting HBO to work - still no luck after 30 minutes. They are sending a tech out on Thursday to diagnose and possibly install another card, though I told them I do not think it is a cablecard issue but an issue with something they need to do back at the office. We will see....

Barr
BPlexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #3737
jak117

Thanks for the great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnyde27
an auth status of 'MP' is NOT good and you might want to check the
Val: status on the conditional access screen as I have a feeling that you will have a '? 0:00' there which means that you aren't paired properly in the system
You are correct, the Val status is "? 0:00" -- how do I go about explaining to a Comcast CSR that the CableCARD was not paired properly? Are there steps that they need to take? (most do not seem to know about data id, etc).

Quote:
You should check the Network Access screen to make sure the Messages counter is rising...
The counter is incrementing, which is at least some good news.

The conditional access screen is now only showing the top four lines...last night it showed all as described on the TiVo support site.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #3738
lemieuxfan67

Quote:

Thanks
SAME problem I had.

Card was auth. and was receiving a great signal from comcast. the tech that did my card install had done a tivo in the area before. his last tivo had the same problem as mine. the problem was with the billing codes and the way my account was setup. he knew who to contact and how they could fix it. it took over the weekend but eventually i was able to receive all my channels.

As far as who to talk to....GOOD LUCK. As you can tell by reading this forum, 90% of the people that customers are able to get in touch with do not know how to fix any cable card issues besides reading "I will send a hit" and "I will send a tech" from a script. Unfortunately it takes talking to a knowledgeable tech to get anything to work. I was lucky and got one to come to my house on the second try.

If it helps...this is what is on my account as recent activity. This got my channels to work.

09-17-07 STANDARD CABLE SERVICE 09/17 TO 10/21 $ -**.**
09-17-07 STANDARD CABLE SERVICE 09/17 TO 10/21 $ **.**
09-17-07 CHANGE SVC CABLE $ 0.00

lemieuxfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #3739
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlexico
They determine the need to give the office the Cablecard serial # as opposed to Host ID to activate the multi stream card.

But they cannot get the HBO channels to come in (they were not able to do this the previous week either with the existing card.). That's ok for now - I am happy and the multi stream card works for dual tuning.

I callback Tuesday about getting HBO to work - still no luck after 30 minutes. They are sending a tech out on Thursday to diagnose and possibly install another card, though I told them I do not think it is a cablecard issue but an issue with something they need to do back at the office. We will see....
Look at the CableCARD installation FAQ - your card is not paired/validated properly. This must be fixed at the Comcast end.

Comcast needs the card serial number AND the Tivo Host ID AND the Tivo data value. Without all three in their system, you will never get the card in the proper state.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #3740
BPlexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Look at the CableCARD installation FAQ - your card is not paired/validated properly. This must be fixed at the Comcast end.

Comcast needs the card serial number AND the Tivo Host ID AND the Tivo data value. Without all three in their system, you will never get the card in the proper state.
Thanks - I will follow up with them - apparently they could not figure where to enter the HOST ID into their system - it would only "take" the cablecard s/n and data values...

And you are correct - viewing the diagnostic screens - the card is not paired.

Barr

Last edited by BPlexico : 09-25-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #3741
jak117

Success! I finally was able to get in touch with someone who knew what they were doing and he initialized and paired the card correctly (as I had told 6 other CSRs they needed to do previously). After I gave him my data number and host id, he had the system set-up in about 3 minutes. On my TiVoHD, it did not flash a message and I simply needed to return to live tv to check.

Thanks to all on this thread for the great help and information.

Last edited by jak117 : 09-26-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #3742
BPlexico

Well another update - I called Comcast tonight to follow up in regards to the paring. The person took down my Cablecard s/n, Host ID and Data ID. After about 20 minutes he told me there were two issues.

1. The first had to do with the Host ID

2. The second had to do with the fact that the serial number of the cablecard associated with the account did not match the s/n of the cablecard I know had and they needed to call the warehouse which had the old cablecard and get some information from them and some data input by them into the system before HBO would work (this part made no sense to me at all)

They believe everything should work sometime tomorrow after the information is "released" from the warehouse.

Stay tuned.

Barr
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #3743
SnakeEyes

Quote:

Later,
COZ
So Coz has HD? guess that means party at your place on Oct 13th. I'll tell Ben to spread the word.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:40 PM   #3744
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlexico
2. The second had to do with the fact that the serial number of the cablecard associated with the account did not match the s/n of the cablecard I know had and they needed to call the warehouse which had the old cablecard and get some information from them and some data input by them into the system before HBO would work (this part made no sense to me at all)

Well, if they don't use the info from the card installed in your box, they won't get any further than they are now.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #3745
notabbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes
So Coz has HD? guess that means party at your place on Oct 13th. I'll tell Ben to spread the word.
Comcast doesn't carry HDNet last I checked, so it's still the Globe for that one, assuming they have their ducks in a row.

And do we know specifically what this billing hack is? I've got the exact same problem as a couple of other people here, where my second card only gets OTA channels...haven't tried Music Choice. AUTH is subscribed, but EnabledByCP is no, and any new single-stream card we put in that slot does the exact same thing.

The current thinking is that swapping out the two single-stream cards for a multi-stream card should make the problem go away, but it seems like that's the brute force method.
notabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #3746
AlphaDelta

S3 Cablecard installation in Ann Arbor, MI

I took the plunge and called Comcast to upgrade to digital and get cards. I had the fee schedule/channel guide Comcast had just sent out in their last bill, and had decided on "Digital Classic" package. The CSR said it was no longer offered, giving me the choice of "Starter" or "Preferred". I wonder if it is really no longer offered, or it is just a tactic to get you to choose the more expensive package. Anyway, I choose "Preferred", not wanting to get in an argument. He then said I could pick up the "self-install kit" (cable box and some coax) at the local store, or I could have an installer come for $17.95. I then informed him I would need 2 cablecards, and asked if I could pick those up and install them myself. He didn't know, put me on hold to find out. He came back and said they had to be installed by a tech. He then said there would be an addition digital outlet fee for the second device. I informed him both cards would go in the same device, a TiVo. Waiting for the sell for the Comcast DVR, he surprised me by saying he heard the new TiVo's are supposed to be cool He had a few openings for the installation the following day, I chose 2-5 pm slot.

Taking the afternoon off work, I was was watching TiVo, expecting the tech to show up at 5:30. Much to my surprise, about 1:55 I hear the knock at the door. His name is Andrew and has 2 cablecards to install. He seems pretty knowledgeable, has brought the 2 cards but says they are the "new" M-cards and that I should only need one. I tell him the very new TiVoHD will work with 1 M-card but that my S3 is slighly older and needs 2 cards. The cards appeared to be Motorola, but I didn't get that close a look.

After checking the signal strength, he puts in the first card. (I'm pleased he knows to do them one at a time.) He writes down the pairing ID's and calls to have the data entered and the card hit. After a while the card receives the channels and we test some of them which are working.

We repeat the process for card 2, and again, everything appears to be working. I now do a more thorough check of the channels and none of the channels in the "Preferred" package are coming in. It seems they had "Digital Plus" on my account (which I gather is what the price sheet calls "Starter"). He calls to have Preferred put on my account, and have the cards hit again. The new channels refuse to tune. They hit them again, and no change. I reboot the TiVo to see if that makes a difference. Doesn't seem to.

They recheck the pairing data on card 1 and find 1 digit off. It is corrected and they hit the card again. Instead of fixing card 1 we now get no channels, and the 161-4 error shows up. (I've read that this is the "good" error, but don't really see how it is good, when it can't tune any channels.) Card 2 is now working with all the channels in the "Preferred" package.

I ask Andrew if maybe card 1 is bad. He kind of facetiously says the cards are never bad I bring up the pairing screen again for card 1 and ask them to double check the data. It was all correct. They do some more work, and ask us to check channels again. They are now all working on card 1. I ask if it is voodoo, but just get the response that cablecards are sometime tricky to get configured. Overall it took a little over an hour. Andrew expected it be be just 20 minutes and I think he had to cancel some appointments after me.

So, pretty much a good experience (just 1 service call and everything is working), plus I have 2 M-cards, so if we get the TiVo service update for S3 M-card support, I can pull the second card and return it, saving $1.50 a month.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #3747
TV_or_TVo

CableCARD newbie...

Hi! I have two Motorola HD DVR with my current Comcast service and I want to go TiVo Series 3 HD. Can I just cancel my two cable boxes, remove the cable cards from them (assuming that each one has a cable card in it!), and plug in to the my new TiVo? I am very amateur when it comes to dealing with cable , so my apologies if this is total non-sense! Thanks!
TV_or_TVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #3748
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV_or_TVo
Hi! I have two Motorola HD DVR with my current Comcast service and I want to go TiVo Series 3 HD. Can I just cancel my two cable boxes, remove the cable cards from them (assuming that each one has a cable card in it!), and plug in to the my new TiVo? I am very amateur when it comes to dealing with cable , so my apologies if this is total non-sense! Thanks!
No, you can't pull the cards from the DVR and put them in a TivoHD. You will have to get a set of "new" cards from Comcast via a self install or truck roll.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #3749
dsnyde27

Question Still no premiums!

Quote:
OK... I live in Shrewsbury, PA in what was once an Adelphia cable system but is now Comcast. It's a motorola based system. I received a Tivo Series 3 HD and promptly called Comcast to schedule an install. The tech arrives 30 minutes early on a Saturday afternoon (excellent!) and being a prior systems engineer for a cable company who is VERY intimate with CableCards on an SA system, I'm thinking 20 minutes tops! First off, the cards are so brand new that this is the first M-Card that the tech has ever saw and only the 2nd CC install he's ever done. No problem, I know how they work.... so I insert the first card and access the pairing screen to give the tech the necessary info to call dispatch and setup the pairing and activation. A few hits later, boom, I have channel map and Validation in the conditional access screen. BUT, no encrypted channels are coming through... I get all the unencrypted OTA HD and the Music Choice stuff, but no Digital Tier or Premiums..... so they try the 2nd card.... it never gets anywhere... they look up the history of that card and gee... it did the same thing on the last 3 installs!! What genius decided to keep this card in rotation!? So, in the end I have one validated card that has the channel information with an auth code of "0C" which I've never heard of.... no video on any encrypted channel.... so they setup a return trouble call. Meanwhile I'm digging around for solutions and documentation on the forums... Monday another tech arrives (10 minutes early!) and immediately knows that there is a service code/billing code issue. He's happy as hell to see a successful validation... But after a bazillion hits and no results he elects to try two new cards. 1st card goes in, and validates, pulls a channel map, next card goes in, validates and also pulls the channel map.... neither card shows any encrypted channels.... After calling all over creation, the tech finally finds someone who knows a little something more than "Let me send it a hit" who actually builds an M-Card in the system (it wasn't defined yet?) and then sets up the cards in my account (supposedly putting them first in the equipment list at my request) and then assigning the channels to the cards.... sends a big hit and.... nothing.
The tech is telling this CSR that it is DEFINITELY a service code issue since the cards received the channel map and can tune the unencrypted channels (sniff!, I was SO proud!) but they won't hear of it..... He leaves. I'm stuck....
Today I call Comcast and tell them that I need my cable cards to work as expected and they immediately want to schedule a service call! I tell them that all that is going to do is have a tech standing in my living room talking to a CSR about service codes which is the same thing I'm doing RIGHT NOW! They fiddle with some code that was missing on one card and tell me to check it when I get home.... which I KNOW isn't going to fix it since neither card could tune so one code missing on one card isn't going to matter... Now I get to look forward to being enslaved to the phone while I go through the entire Comcast CSR staff to finally find one that knows how to assign the proper codes to my cards or can possibly BUILD the codes needed to assign to my cards and get me working..... What else can I do to get this resolved??? This is PAINFULLY stupid!! I could auth a cable card in 15 seconds from anywhere in the world... (probably couldn't now - you guessed it, Comcast bought that cable company... lol)
so Now what!? (throwing up hands in frustration)
UPDATE: I call in to Comcast AGAIN and ask for the "go to" person for Service Codes and Cable Cards. The CSR says "I can do that" - RIIIIGHT! so I humor her and tell her the story... she does the usual 'send a hit' thing and no change... I ask for a manager and get that spinning my wheels feeling again as I'm told they are unavailable and all my service codes are correct. I tell her that if my service codes were correct I would be getting my CHANNELS!! UG!! This is NOT that difficult!!!! I hang up in disgust and will try again with another randomly assigned minimally trained CSR and try my luck again.... Russian Roulette anyone?

UPDATE ROUND 2:
So I call Comcast in a frenzy.... ready to rip some serious anus.... and get a tech scheduled to come out Thursday 8am to 10am... I tell them it better be a tech who knows what he's doing and he better bring 2 M cards, and 2 S cards.....
Thursday at 7:58am, I get a call from Comcast! A CUSTOMER SATISFACTION SURVEY!!! Can you BELIEVE this!?!?!? I put that poor surveyor through hell and back as I ranted on and on.... then the tech arrives... He has two Ms and two S cards.... great! First off, all cards come out.... done..... insert an S card into Slot 0 and we wait.... pairing screen comes up... He calls in to dispatch.... the box driver is down! Can't do a thing!!! It's been down to 2 days and they're supposedly working on it.... great So he busies himself running me some new lines, checking levels, putting in an amp... analog has never looked so good! At least this guy is trying.... Finally he calls in and they are able to use the system... so they enter the pairing info in and bam! Less than 10 seconds later I have all the channels I'm supposed to... AUTH=SUBSCRIBED, Host Validated and everything!! YAY!!! So we put in card 2 in slot 1, and no matter what they try, we get black screens on all the channels (channel map comes through fine).... after swapping it out and trying 2 different M cards with the same results, they go back to the original M card and try again.... same result.... they do the deep hit, which gets me the 161-4 error, repair and rehit and no change..... so they remove the S card from slot 0 and put it in slot 1 - clear my account from all CCs and then add this card in again... they pair it and hit it and it's a no go... same thing... no video but channel map info is good..... validation is fine..... auth is fine..... this isn't looking good.... card pairs, auths, and works just fine in slot0 showing all video.... but in slot 1 it pairs, auths, but doesn't show squat! BAD SLOT!?
So they put the S card back in slot 0, repair, reauth, and I'm up again, then they put an M card in slot1 for another go round.... they do all the magic and it ends up the same... auth'd, paired, but no picture.... so now the guy has been there for over 5 hours.... at least one card is working.... and analog looks great even on my 60" HDTV.... so they tell me that it's possible that video could come in over the next 60 minutes on the other card... and they recommend I contact Tivo about slot 1..... I have to pack it up and get out of town.... so I forget about it.... until I'm on my way home Sunday..... Now I remember I wanted to pull the 2nd CC in case the Tivo is trying to tape my NFL games using that tuner and all it will record is a black screen! Imagine my surprise when I get home and I get full video on both cards! What's weird is that the M card is still showing Val of "? 0x00" but it's displaying video properly and only on the channels that I get.... I'm hoping it doesn't kick off in 30 days or so.... the first card is still good with AUTH and Host Validated.....

Crossing my fingers... and dreading what I will find on my next bill.....

Last edited by dsnyde27 : 10-15-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #3750
dsnyde27

Quote:
Thanks for the great info!

You are correct, the Val status is "? 0:00" -- how do I go about explaining to a Comcast CSR that the CableCARD was not paired properly? Are there steps that they need to take? (most do not seem to know about data id, etc).

The counter is incrementing, which is at least some good news.

The conditional access screen is now only showing the top four lines...last night it showed all as described on the TiVo support site.

As for the Validation, you have to go into your Pairing screen and call Comcast and verify that they have the Card ID, Host ID, and Data ID in properly - they might have typoed it. Also, before you call, you might want to pull the cable card and write down the serial number as well just to verify that as well.....

Since you are receiving messages, that means that you are connected to the forward data carrier of the cable system... usually a low freq like 75.5 Mhz (each system is different)... this is good. It shows that there are no issues with you receiving carrier due to cabling or splitter or plant problems....

Cross your fingers when you call that you get a CSR that actually has a bit of knowledge of what they're doing... it's a hit or miss... and mostly misses from what you can see in this forum! (I have to call in again myself - wish me luck!)

BTW, do you have the "To start service contact your local cable provider" or something to that effect on your conditional access screen? This is a dead giveaway that the cards aren't setup right in the cable system.....