TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #3661
MadTxn

Simple question

I am also in Howard County. Not to scare you, but my experience has been two missed appointments (without them notifying me), then last night, the tech showed up 1.5 hours AFTER the window, then left without anything working (assuring me that it would work "in a couple of hours"). Needless to say, I still have no working cableCARDs. Good luck to you.

My question is... if my SA cableCARD says "multi stream," I shouldn't need two, should I?
MadTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #3662
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTxn
My question is... if my SA cableCARD says "multi stream," I shouldn't need two, should I?
If you have an original Series 3 box, you will need two cards.

If you have a Tivo HD box, and if they are indeed MCards, no, you will only need one. The Tivo should tell you to remove the second card in that case.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #3663
pianoman84d

Had installation of cable cards scheduled today, however the installer called and said that they were out of cable cards and that I'd have to call back and reschedule. I did and of course they don't have any appointments until next wednesday. Is it common for Comcast to suck so much? Seriously, are they commonly out of them?

Thanks!!
pianoman84d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #3664
mae

Quote:
I am also in Howard County. Not to scare you, but my experience has been two missed appointments (without them notifying me), then last night, the tech showed up 1.5 hours AFTER the window, then left without anything working (assuring me that it would work "in a couple of hours"). Needless to say, I still have no working cableCARDs. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the warning, I'm was expecting the worst already. Keep posting your experience, it may give me some ideas for the installer when they show up.

Your question about the M cards was answered above.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #3665
MadTxn

Tech is here right now (it's 12:30, and started calling and making a stink at 6am this morning). so far, she's replaced one of the cards and is working on that. She seems to know what she's doing. The head end is VERY slow. She's also told me some interesting things about installations. More later...
Old 09-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #3666
PHeadland

Tivo HD in San Mateo, CA

I called Comcast yesterday and they told me all I needed to do was go down to the local Comcast store, show some ID and a recent bill, and pick up a cable card. Being suspicious after what I read here, I called again just now and was told that I would need an installation visit for ~$17.

The good news:
  • No big wait - my appointment is on Friday. I could have had tomorrow if I had wanted, but my Tivo HD is still on its way from Amazon, due here on Thursday.
  • The CSR said my bill will not change at all if I return the old cable box when the cable card is installed.
  • The CSR made no negative comments about cable card, Tivo, etc. and was professional, knowledgeable, and helpful throughout.

So far so good, but before we pop the cork on the Dom Perignon, let's see what actually happens on Friday, and what shows up on my next bill...

I'll let you all know...

Last edited by PHeadland : 09-18-2007 at 02:19 PM.
PHeadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #3667
dachtler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachtler
After making 3 appointments and having 3 techs show up with no idea of what an M-card is, I think I'm finally making headway. After the 3rd appointment, a guy calls me from the San Rafael office in Marin County, stating that they don't have any M-cards in Marin County. I tell him that all of the SF Bay Area is supposed to have M-cards at this point, according to their own internal announcement. He say he'll check into it and call me back.

He calls the next day and tells me that he's located some Motorola M-cards and has requested they be shipped to him. They should be here next week, and then he'll call me to set up an install appointment. Since these will be the first M-cards in Marin County, he's going to send over their lead tech to install it in my THD to figure out how to do it. I'm happy to be a guinea pig to get the first M-card in Marin County...
Just a follow up. Marin County now has M-cards. Comcast is coming to install mine tomorrow afternoon. They've never installed an M-card before, so we'll see what happens...
dachtler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #3668
bpmarkowitz

my local comcast has been giving me a runaround for 2 weeks telling me they are out of cable cards and to just keep calling back...any suggestions?
bpmarkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #3669
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmarkowitz
my local comcast has been giving me a runaround for 2 weeks telling me they are out of cable cards and to just keep calling back...any suggestions?
Write a letter of complaint to the Comcast Corporate Headquarters in Philadelphia. They'll suddenly find CableCARDs somewhere for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #3670
bpmarkowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Write a letter of complaint to the Comcast Corporate Headquarters in Philadelphia. They'll suddenly find CableCARDs somewhere for you.
How can I find that address? Their website is super confusing. I would call a corporate number if you happen to have one?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #3671
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
How can I find that address? Their website is super confusing. I would call a corporate number if you happen to have one?
Comcast Corporation
Attn: Office of the President
1500 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102

+1 (215) 665-1700

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #3672
bpmarkowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Comcast Corporation
Attn: Office of the President
1500 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102

+1 (215) 665-1700
thank you very much.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #3673
MadTxn

Quote:
Tech is here right now (it's 12:30, and started calling and making a stink at 6am this morning). so far, she's replaced one of the cards and is working on that. She seems to know what she's doing. The head end is VERY slow. She's also told me some interesting things about installations. More later...
Success! I had two mostly knowledgeable people, Malita (contractor with ACI, yes, a contractor) for the tech, and Keri at the head end. Out of four cards, one was bad, one worked, and two were assigned to another account (WTF?). She was able to get one of the cards switched to my account. The person from comcast actually started to REMOVE my premium channels from my cable box to add them to the cableCARDs, but I put a stop to that.

For those in Howard County, MD, here are some tips.
  1. BEFORE THE APPOINTMENT: run guided setup and get the latest software
  2. HoCo now has mostly SA M-cards. They may try to tell you they won't work if you have an S3, but the S3 can take the M-cards in single stream mode
  3. While the tech is there, do NOT run guided setup. Just do the test channels. It will take two hits, and sometimes they forget.

All in all, it was a terrible ordeal, but not as bad as some others.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #3674
mae

Quote:
Success! I had two mostly knowledgeable people, Malita (contractor with ACI, yes, a contractor) for the tech, and Keri at the head end. Out of four cards, one was bad, one worked, and two were assigned to another account (WTF?). She was able to get one of the cards switched to my account. The person from comcast actually started to REMOVE my premium channels from my cable box to add them to the cableCARDs, but I put a stop to that.

For those in Howard County, MD, here are some tips.
  1. BEFORE THE APPOINTMENT: run guided setup and get the latest software
  2. HoCo now has mostly SA M-cards. They may try to tell you they won't work if you have an S3, but the S3 can take the M-cards in single stream mode
  3. While the tech is there, do NOT run guided setup. Just do the test channels. It will take two hits, and sometimes they forget.

All in all, it was a terrible ordeal, but not as bad as some others.
Great! I just confirmed my appointment for 10-1 tomorrow with Comcast Howard County, and I am hoping they show up. I have an HD, so one M card and one hit SHOULD do it. I'll keep your experience in mind during the setup and post the outcome.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #3675
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Does anyone know if Comcast of Union (New Jersey) has M-cards? When I set up my appointment, the supervisor said they had only S-cards, but I don't think he was really certain about what he was saying.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #3676
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin
Does anyone know if Comcast of Union (New Jersey) has M-cards? When I set up my appointment, the supervisor said they had only S-cards, but I don't think he was really certain about what he was saying.
Multistream cards are not prevalent around here. I've only seen them in the cable company DVRs they're distributing now, and even there they're sealed in place with a screwed-on panel and a sticker to prevent any casual removal of them. The CableCARD info is pre-stored with the receiver serial number so it can be activated without any CableCARD knowledge on the part of the CSRs... which is definitely not leveling the playing field.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #3677
ts2x4

New to the forum, but I've been keeping up with this ComCast / cable card issue & haven't seen any recent posts to answer my question.
Anyone have any recent experience with Comcast out of Schaumburg, IL, as far as obtaining / installing cable cards - particularly "M" type?
I've called them a few times & a few of the reps were semi knowledgeable but availability, pricing, etc. was all over the map. One did say that she had heard that they would "soon" be allowing self install like they do their HD DVRs.
I stopped by the office on Wise Rd. in Schaumburg & the rep there thought a "multi-stream" cable card was so that you could get picture-in-picture. She said I couldn't rent the cards but had to buy them for $26/ea & her system said they had to be installed by their tech. Since I knew full well you can't "buy" their cards that conversation ended quickly.
Anyone have any current info for those of us in the N/W suburbs? I've seen several references that the Comcast office near downtown Chicago (North Ave.) is giving out cards for self install but will they do that for customers outside the Chicago City limits?
ts2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #3678
aharris999

For those in Richmond, VA (not Chesterfield), apparently the M-Cards that Comcast has given out are not working correctly, and all are being returned to Motorola. Comcast was able to dig up an old S-Card from one of their office TV's, and we plugged it in and paired it this afternoon. One hit and the card works great (following a tivo restart). Now I just need them to find one more S-card, or get the M-cards to work, and I'll be all set!
aharris999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #3679
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aharris999
For those in Richmond, VA (not Chesterfield), apparently the M-Cards that Comcast has given out are not working correctly, and all are being returned to Motorola. Comcast was able to dig up an old S-Card from one of their office TV's, and we plugged it in and paired it this afternoon. One hit and the card works great (following a tivo restart). Now I just need them to find one more S-card, or get the M-cards to work, and I'll be all set!
Since slot 2 can only have an S-card (or an M-card which will then behave as an S-card), perhaps you could try the real S-card in slot 1 and an M-card in slot 2. Perhaps whatever's wrong with the M-card only affects their use in a multistream configuration.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #3680
bpmarkowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharris999
Thats amazing that they found any. I have been calling Comcast in Richmond for 2 weeks trying to get CableCards for my Tivo, and every day its the same story "Sorry, we don't have any, call back tomorrow"....
Old 09-19-2007, 02:25 AM   #3681
BPlexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachtler
Just a follow up. Marin County now has M-cards. Comcast is coming to install mine tomorrow afternoon. They've never installed an M-card before, so we'll see what happens...

Let me know how you fair. I have a second card on order for installation on Sunday into my Tivo HD. ( I am using the one I had in my Hitachi Plasma in the TIVO HD for now).

I called today based on your posting and requested an M card - after the person checked (she didnt know what they were) - she said she would add that to my order for Sunday.

So hopefully Sunday they will arrive with an M card and I wont need to 2 of the S cablecards.

If you can pass along the name of your tech that would be great. I am located in San Rafael.

Barr
BPlexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:31 AM   #3682
jsb_hburg

A tech came over to install yesterday. He had no prior CableCard experience. I walked him through the install steps over the phone while at work near the end of the workday. At 5:00, I had left work for home and arrived there at 5:15, 20 minutes after I ended the call with the tech. By 5:15, he had left. I was irate.

I was told that he did not want to stick around for me, that he just tried one of the three cards in the first slot and got a 161-1 error and that he was told by another tech over the phone that none of the cards that he had would work since they were J Cards.

Anyone here know of a J Card?

I called to complain and got the install fee waived and will get a lead tech to install the CableCards hopefully this afternoon.

I know that this is my first post as I finally bought a TivoHD last Thursday. Sorry for the rant.
jsb_hburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #3683
shohn

Pacific, WA (25 mi. south of Seattle)

I got self install on the cards, no charge for the cards. I was able to setup everything on the same day my TivoHD arrived. Only took the phone Comcast support ten minutes to push the code to my cards.

This was so easy! Just unplug the Series 2 and plug in the new box using the same cables.
shohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #3684
magnum68

Has anyone provided there very own cablcards instead of renting them from the cable companies? If so, were you able to get them to work?
magnum68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #3685
pulsedrive

Quote:
Thats amazing that they found any. I have been calling Comcast in Richmond for 2 weeks trying to get CableCards for my Tivo, and every day its the same story "Sorry, we don't have any, call back tomorrow"....

Don't feel bad, I have had 8, count them, EIGHT failed appointments with Comcast in the NOVA area. I live in Manassas, VA and I have had them cancel on me or just flat out not show up 8 times now. I even took a day off work to try and work this out, hoping that in a WHOLE day, they could get their crap together. Nope, not once. I keep getting told, we are out of them, no, we have them but don't have a tech available to install them. We install them on Saturday, we don't install them on Saturdays, etc. Everytime it is a different story. I have talked to multiple supervisors, and they never call me back or get anything done. One even told me they were crediting my account for all the trouble, and never did.
pulsedrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #3686
mae

Smile Comcast success in Howard County, MD - SA M card in HD box

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae
Great! I just confirmed my appointment for 10-1 tomorrow with Comcast Howard County, and I am hoping they show up. I have an HD, so one M card and one hit SHOULD do it. I'll keep your experience in mind during the setup and post the outcome.
Well they did it on the first try! An ACI contractor (Darnell) showed up at about 12:30 (inside the window). He said he had never seen a Tivo or done a CC install. He had an M card, a copy of the instructions to installers that comes in the box, and a copy of some troubleshooting ideas from this board. He insisted I power down the TV and the Tivo before inserting the card, so I did and we waited for the long boot cycle.

He called the numbers into HIS dispatch, and she then called Comcast to activate the card. Despite the high probability of one digit being wrong, Comcast hit the card three times and it activated. All digital channels came on except the premium ones (HBO,Showtime,Starz). We rebooted the Tivo, but no change.

He called the dispatcher, she called Comcast, they hit the card a few more times and suddenly the premiums came in. He left after about 1.5 hours and I re-ran Guided Setup

So far, so good. It shows that it is possible on the first, on-time visit. I'm a pretty sophisticated user, have experience with cable cards on a Mediacomm system (3 trips and 5 cards to get a TV working), had everything ready including posts from this thread, and could "help" the installer. I don't know if it would have worked with the average person who doesn't understand CC's or the Tivo.

Good luck to those with the process still ahead of them and thanks to those who went where no one went before and posted their experience and advice.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #3687
designbot
Internet Cliché

Comcast still sucks in Atlanta

Here's where I'm at. I'm switching from DirecTV to Comcast with a TiVo HD to take advantage of their "Triple Play" deal here in Atlanta.

Called on September 8, got an appointment for September 18 between 11 and 2. The customer service guy tried to tell me the CableCards would be something like $30 each. I told him that the Comcast website said they shouldn't cost anything. He put me on hold, and came back saying that the cards would be free, but they would cost $1.50/month each, and $18.25 to install. They had no idea what an M-card was. I called back again to talk to someone else, because I knew at least one of the cards should be free. The lady I talked to still had no idea what I was talking about. She said I was listed for two "TiVo cards," which cost $1.50/month. She said if I wanted "CableCards" instead, those would be free. I told her I was pretty sure those were the same thing, so she put me down for two CableCards for no monthly fee.

Well, September 18 rolled around. No installer at 11, but Comcast called at 1 to say he was running late, and would be here around 2:30. At 2, I got another call from Comcast to explain to me why the installer was "wallfishing." I said I didn't know what she was talking about, and she said, "isn't the installer there?" I said, "no," and she said, "Well, that's weird," and hung up.

Finally, around 2:15, "Bill" showed up. He had clearly never seen a TiVo before, and he didn't really seem to know what a CableCard was. I folded down the front flap and showed him where they needed to go, and he just sort of looked at me. Then I told him I would need to make sure that the Comcast phone service worked with my alarm system. He looked around for a while, and said he didn't think he could do it because he hadn't worked with my security company before (Ackerman). I told him that the Comcast website assured that their phone service should work with security systems, so he said OK.

An hour or so later, my phone was hooked up. For half an hour or so, Bill clicked randomly at icons and windows on my Mac trying to find a mythical "Run" button to tell him my IP address, because he didn't believe me when I showed it to him in System Preferences. Despite his help, I eventually got the internet working. I came into the living room to find Bill changing channels on my TV. I explained again that the cable needed to be hooked up to my TiVo, not my TV, and that I needed two CableCards. I had to open the flap again and show him where the cards were supposed to go. He looked at me for a while again, and then, a wave of recognition passing over his face, said, "oh, yeah, they didn't have any cards at the warehouse this morning, so I couldn't pick them up."

He insisted he would drop off two cards the next morning and hurried out the door. I had to unplug the cable from the TV myself and hook it up to my TiVo.

Unsurprisingly, the next morning has come and gone with no word from Bill. I called Comcast, who said that they would call the dispatcher, who would call me back. I'm still waiting.

-- Update: 9/21/07

Bill never dropped off the cards, and the dispatcher didn't call me back, but when I called Comcast again, they set me up with an appointment for the next day between 2 and 5.

Melvin came by at about 4:30, and definitely knew what he was doing more than Bill. He hadn't done a TiVo HD before, but he was familiar with CableCards. He had to mess with the wiring and sit on the phone with Comcast for over an hour, but he got everything working. Good guy.

One thing that tripped us up: Comcast's Triple Play Starter package actually includes fewer channels than Digital Basic. At first they told me it would be $3/month to get the extra channels, then they said I would need to upgrade to a package that costs $60/month more. Sounds like I need to spend some more time playing CSR roulette...

Last edited by designbot : 09-21-2007 at 05:37 PM.
designbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #3688
jmpage2

Just got off my 10th call with Comcast. I was told the following;

1. In my market (Denver) there is no provision for M-card installation in Tivo. "Comcast's contract is for the installation of two S-cards in Tivo units at this time".

2. Even though my first digital converter box is free, there is an additional $7 charge PER DEVICE for my HD programming (TNT, Discovery, etc). So in essence I am paying $7 per month for my "free" receiver as well as paying a $7 a month charge for the "HD Programming" that my Tivo HD receives.

Since many here have told me that they are not paying these charges, maybe someone could give me the name of the Comcast executive assistant in PA who I can write to about these charges.

thanks.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #3689
renkablue

Houston TX is my area - Comcast offers cable tv, digital phone and internet. I am a subscriber of the broadband internet, But Vonage has my phone service. By reading the post, it looks like Comcast policies are different by area of the country. I am new and haven't received my Tivo yet (purchased Series 2 from ebay). This will be my first experience, but I have heard nothing but good things about Tivo. If I enjoy my Tivo like I hope to enjoy it, I will consider the upgrade to Series 3. I am posting on this because I don't know why or when to consider going to a Cable Card....what is this anyway?
Kay
renkablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #3690
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Since many here have told me that they are not paying these charges, maybe someone could give me the name of the Comcast executive assistant in PA who I can write to about these charges.
Doug's posted it several times, most recently in this post.
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote