Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #3631
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
I think it goes more to the fact that the FCC is a bunch of MORONS or cable lackeys.
That's silly. Martin, especially, looks for every opportunity to over-regulate cable systems, yet lets satellite and telcom get away with lots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #3632
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodoros
I am in Memphis, using Comcast. They came out yesterday to install the cable cards. really hoping for the M-Card, but no such luck. Tech came out with 2 Scientific Atlantic S-cards. Said eh knew exaclty how to install them and expected it to go smoothly. Long story short, I am now just getting basic channels, no premiums. Tech said it might take a few hours for them to come in, its now been 21 hours and still no premiums.

The Cable Card diagnostics screen makes it appear that the cards have been authorized, but this appears on the dianositc screen as well for both cards "Powerkey Status:Not Ready-waiting for EMMs". Anyone have any idea what that might mean?
Does your CP Screen show authorized?

If it doesn't, I would veryify that all the hostids, and serial numbers match up. You might have to also provide the number above the host id (data?). Up here we just need the host id and serial number off the back of the card. Some people are also having to make sure their modem is the last on their list of outlets so that might also be your case.

As for the message, waiting for EMMs means "Waiting for Entitlement Messages"

I was getting that error message too. It took the fifth tech to finally swap out the card for a new one and everything was good. Of course between the first and fifth they did look at my account and tech four said some billing codes were wrong so I'm not sure if it was a combination of both.

One thing I did notice is that when I unplugged and plugged in my working SA card, the powerkey status on the CP screen would go from "Waiting for Time" to "Waiting for EUTs" to "Ready". It took a while for this to happen.

On my stuck SA CC card, when I unplugged and plugged it back in, it went right to "Waiting for EMMs" right away.

When the fifth tech popped in a new card, it went through the "Waiting for Time" process so I knew things were better. Just remember you have to exit and re-enter the CP screen every couple seconds.

One last thing. Up here they have supervisor techs specifically for cablecards and you can schedule one of those. You might have the same thing so look into getting someone more senior out. Some of them know exactly who to call to at the headend to make all the magic happen.

Good luck...
Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #3633
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
I have Comcast in Menlo Park, CA. My father in law has Comcast in Atherton, CA. Last nite, both our S3 Cablecards wouldn't tune above Ch 100. In the diag screens, the cards weren't operating (I forget the text). We both had to restart to recover.

Anyone else seeing this?
Mine are still working fine in Mountain View.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #3634
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701
Man - I'm getting more worried now. Do folks think it's possible that HD TIVO, and certain Cable Cards in certain areas just plain don't work well together - yet? I have about one day left before my one week free trial is up for my HD TIVO. I'm worried I won't get this all solved before then.
Why would you have only a one week trial? If you activate service you still have 30 days to cancel and not incur a penalty and TiVo will refund your entire months sub fee.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #3635
commodoros

Silypuddy,

My CP screen shows "CP Auth Received" - which, based upon the TIVO cable card troubleshooting guide, would seem to indicate that the card is properly paired and I should be able to receive copy-protected channels.

But further down the CP screen, it shows "Powerkey Status: Not Ready-waiting for EMMs", which indicates I can't receive encrypted channels.

All the trouble shooting guide says to do in this situation is contact your cable provider. Anybody know exactly what I should ask the cable provider to do to resolve this? I have no faith that the Comcast rep will know whats steps to take. It seems hardly anyone in their Memphis offices has even heard of a cable card.
commodoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #3636
rad1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
Why would you have only a one week trial? If you activate service you still have 30 days to cancel and not incur a penalty and TiVo will refund your entire months sub fee.
Oh, really?! Even if I sign up for the 3 year plan, multi TIVO discount (I have two other TIVOS')? That's great then. I'll have 30 days to get everything working - hopefully.
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #3637
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodoros
Silypuddy,

My CP screen shows "CP Auth Received" - which, based upon the TIVO cable card troubleshooting guide, would seem to indicate that the card is properly paired and I should be able to receive copy-protected channels.

But further down the CP screen, it shows "Powerkey Status: Not Ready-waiting for EMMs", which indicates I can't receive encrypted channels.

All the trouble shooting guide says to do in this situation is contact your cable provider. Anybody know exactly what I should ask the cable provider to do to resolve this? I have no faith that the Comcast rep will know whats steps to take. It seems hardly anyone in their Memphis offices has even heard of a cable card.
In my case, I had the card that was stuck in emm mode replaced.

When you pop the card out and push it back in visit the CP screen. What is the first message you see? If it is "waiting for emms", it might be a bad card. The first message I got from my working card was "waiting for time" followed by "waiting for euts". It's possible that the "waiting for emms" message was in between and I didn't see it. Here is an old link I found on the community that describes how things have been working for me:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4454809

Some people have also had problems when their cable modem is listed before their cable cards in the Comcast outlet list. The cable modem should be last. You can call them to find out.

Unfortunately you, just like many other people are forced to play CSR/Truck roll roulette and hope you get someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck..
Old 09-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #3638
rad1701

Well finally SUCCESS!!!
Very young contract tech shows up this evening. Knows basically nothing about cable cards, TIVO, etc. But has two S-cards and two M-cards with him. We pop out my old M-card that was giving me limited channels. He calls in all the code numbers from the new M-card we put in. And now everything is fine. I get all the digital preferred channels I should. Happy, happy times!

So the third time was the charm. I think it was just a bad card or wasn't able to be authorized properly. Either way - success in the SE Michigan area with Comcast!
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #3639
jared1010

Comcast contractor came out today to install cablecards, I asked him he had s or m cards and he said he had no idea. After this he installed the first one and it said s-card, ok no problem. He called a phone tech to hit the card and it worked no problem, the he did the second card and got a hit no problem. He was at my house for 20 minutes, and all channels work no problem. He said he has done 1 series 3 before, and he hates working with cablecards. When he called he asked for someone who knows how to send hits to the cable cards he got Jen on the phone. Im in Portland, OR. The contractor tech was named Nick, young guy, the girl who sent the hits was named Jen. Ask for Jen to send the hits. Very pleased with Comcast for once. I did all the Tivo remote stuff, he did all the calling.
jared1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #3640
bluemcduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
I am trying to imagine what the problem looks like. I would try taking the cover off an see what is bent and see if it is correctable with a little nudge. Since it is working now I would do everything possible to avoid another installation attempt on a replacement.
I'm leaning towards leaving things as they are--the case on the left side is flayed out so that it isn't flush with the case--this is also true on the right side as well but not so much.

I've tried to nudge it back into place with no avail--it seems as though the technician got his fingers under the bottom and pulled as he moved it over to the side to get to the back.

I will post pictures as soon as I can get a hold of a camera--the only thing I can see being a problem is that air could leak out from the circulation from the fan.

Needless to say, it wasn't like this when I pulled it out of the box and I believe it takes a significant amount of lateral force to bend the case like this.

It's running at 42 C--about what my old Comcast DVR was at before I replaced it.

Last edited by bluemcduff : 09-14-2007 at 09:45 PM.
bluemcduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #3641
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
That's silly. Martin, especially, looks for every opportunity to over-regulate cable systems, yet lets satellite and telcom get away with lots.

it doesn't seem to add up- I see your point

But That's my honest opinion, I just can't see any other possibility at this point. 10+years and no end in site. That's either incompetence (eg Moron's) or something worse (lackey's)

I know you don't think it's important but how do you explain that 10+ years of FCC inability to make an inroads to comply with the law? Just executive branch trying to stick it to congress?

also- while it looks like Martin wants to regulate cable to death he cant' seem to get the other 4 on board even enough to open a meeting on time.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #3642
jercra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1010
Comcast contractor came out today to install cablecards, I asked him he had s or m cards and he said he had no idea. After this he installed the first one and it said s-card, ok no problem. He called a phone tech to hit the card and it worked no problem, the he did the second card and got a hit no problem. He was at my house for 20 minutes, and all channels work no problem. He said he has done 1 series 3 before, and he hates working with cablecards. When he called he asked for someone who knows how to send hits to the cable cards he got Jen on the phone. Im in Portland, OR. The contractor tech was named Nick, young guy, the girl who sent the hits was named Jen. Ask for Jen to send the hits. Very pleased with Comcast for once. I did all the Tivo remote stuff, he did all the calling.
I'm Portland, Or too and had my CCs installed yesterday and could not have had a more opposite experience. After missing my first appointment the day before and being 2 hours past my 4 hour window on the second day they cable guy finally showed up. I asked if he had an M-Card or S-Card and he said M-Card. He popped it in and it said S-Card. I told him and he said that it was an M-Card. After a bit he admitted that he did not know what an M-Card was. I asked if he had additional cards with him and he said he had only brought one. When I made the appointment 2 weeks before I explicitly told them to bring 2 M-Cards and 4 S-Cards since I have been reading of horror stories since I bought my THD. Long story shorter, the guy ran out and got another card during Guided Setup. First card started working so he popped in the second card and both cards stopped working. After about 45 minutes on hold and couple of reboots he finally began the whole process again. 4 hours later both cards were working but with no encrypted channels (MLB IE or HBO). After a couple more phone calls to various people the encrypted channels started working and I tricked myself into believing that everything was just fine. I realized that CC1 is still not receiving encrypted channels. Unkown 03 message. This is still my status. It has been a trying experience.
jercra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #3643
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jercra
the guy ran out and got another card during Guided Setup.
It's not a good idea to run guided setup when the installer is there.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #3644
dachtler

After making 3 appointments and having 3 techs show up with no idea of what an M-card is, I think I'm finally making headway. After the 3rd appointment, a guy calls me from the San Rafael office in Marin County, stating that they don't have any M-cards in Marin County. I tell him that all of the SF Bay Area is supposed to have M-cards at this point, according to their own internal announcement. He say he'll check into it and call me back.

He calls the next day and tells me that he's located some Motorola M-cards and has requested they be shipped to him. They should be here next week, and then he'll call me to set up an install appointment. Since these will be the first M-cards in Marin County, he's going to send over their lead tech to install it in my THD to figure out how to do it. I'm happy to be a guinea pig to get the first M-card in Marin County...
dachtler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #3645
jeshaffer

He shoots he scores, after three cable card replacements and 2 visits from comcast, 5 calls to comcast. 2 calls to Tivo, and 2 conference calls with comcast and Tivo my HD Tivo is working.

It appears to have been a combination of software update and cable cards.

According to Tivo I still don't have the correct data under host validation, but 2 other people I know have the exact same thing, so for now I am not going to worry about it.

The tivo support person really couldn't explain the host validation field anyway except that it had something to do with On Demand / PPV. I do neither.
jeshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #3646
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

IT LIVES!

A tech and the manager of technical operations came out this morning. After three hours, multiple M-cards (none of which worked), some S-cards and multiple conversations with dispatch, we got two S-cards that validated and paired properly.

They stayed with me through the repeat of Guided Setup, and all was well. Returned my HD box (got a written receipt) and I have her direct line if there are any more problems, billing or otherwise.

She's also scheduling a tech to come on Monday and boost my signal at the head end.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:38 AM   #3647
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshaffer
According to Tivo I still don't have the correct data under host validation, but 2 other people I know have the exact same thing, so for now I am not going to worry about it.
Best to worry now and get it right.

Quote:
The tivo support person really couldn't explain the host validation field anyway except that it had something to do with On Demand / PPV. I do neither.
Bzzzz. Wrong. Thanks for playing. (You can't get OnDemand anyway, although if you don't have proper validation you may have problem with PPV)

To understand what validation is and why it's important, see question 11.3 in the CableCARD installation FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=5448376
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:40 AM   #3648
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jercra
I realized that CC1 is still not receiving encrypted channels. Unkown 03 message.
I suspect that CC1 is not activated on your account and/or paired properly. It certainly isn't validated.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #3649
jercra

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
It's not a good idea to run guided setup when the installer is there.
Yeah, he was grapsing at straws and waiting on hold so he wanted to try something rather than sit in my living room with no clue. It certainly didn't hurt anything since the whole thing completed while he was off getting another card.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:56 AM   #3650
jercra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
I suspect that CC1 is not activated on your account and/or paired properly. It certainly isn't validated.
I had the same issue (Portland, Or). Comcast sent a tech out today (3 days after original install). He callled in and they told him to pop the card out, give the them numbers again and within 30 seconds all was well. This was an actual Comcast tech and not a sub but to be honest I don't know that he knew anything more than me other than the phone number to call. All in all his visit was less than 10 minutes and he did nothing more that relay CC numbers to a dispatcher.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #3651
Patranus

I know what cable card is and what it does but I have a really stupid question.

So when I get my cable card, are the channels going to be mapped to the same channel as my Comcast cable box or will ABC HD still be 7-1 but with guide data?

Thanks.
Patranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #3652
sfhub

Same as Comcast cable box.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #3653
AlphaDelta

Any cablecard success (or failure) stories for Comcast in Ann Arbor, Michigan? They list a $7.00 HDTV charge -- is that an equipment (STB, unnecssary with CCs) or a programming charge?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #3654
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta
Any cablecard success (or failure) stories for Comcast in Ann Arbor, Michigan? They list a $7.00 HDTV charge -- is that an equipment (STB, unnecssary with CCs) or a programming charge?
That's an upcharge on the receiver/DVR equipment and would not be applicable to CableCARDs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #3655
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
That's an upcharge on the receiver/DVR equipment and would not be applicable to CableCARDs.
Well, I'm paying it too here in Denver, CO, and 5 support calls later Comcast still refuses to remove the $7 monthly up-charge claiming it is for "HD programming on the CableCards".

Who can I contact in Comcast or how do I find out who my local Franchise Authority is to get this sorted out?
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #3656
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Well, I'm paying it too here in Denver, CO, and 5 support calls later Comcast still refuses to remove the $7 monthly up-charge claiming it is for "HD programming on the CableCards".

Who can I contact in Comcast or how do I find out who my local Franchise Authority is to get this sorted out?
Franchise Authorities are appointed by local government. Call your mayor's office and ask him.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #3657
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2

I always suggest simply writing a letter explaining everything and sending it to Comcast's corporate offices in Philadelphia.

dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #3658
Robs67

A mostly positive experience.

I thought I would share my experience today. I broke down and got a TiVoHD even though I was skeptical about the CableCard install.

The guy came this morning (contractor, not a Comcast person) and said he had done one other CC install on a TiVO a couple of weeks ago. I feared the worst when he looked in the back for the CC slot (are they in the back on the Series 3?) and he didn't really want to read the instructions I had waiting for him.

The card was a MCard and he stuck it in there, went to the right TiVO screen and called Comcast. Within 20 minutes I was up and running. Checked random channels, including HBO, and he went on his merry way.

After he left I realized that I wasn't getting other premium channels (I subscribe to everything). I waited for a few hours just to see if magic would take over and I would suddenly get all the channels. Didn't happen. So I called Comcast and the tech sent a refresh to the card. That did it, and now I am a happy camper.

Just an aside, the guy on the phone did mention the Comcast TiVo software and said "middle of fall, beginning of winter."

Thank goodness I no longer have to deal with the Comcast DVR and can use TiVo again.
Robs67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #3659
clemon79

Okay, new question:

(I'm in Seattle, if this helps anyone answer me.)

I have digital cable, but no premiums like Showtime or HBO. So everything so far with my "M"-card seems to be coming through.

I do, however, have NHL Center Ice during hockey season. Which is right around the corner.

I was looking at the CableCARD installation FAQ, and there is some stuff about "validating" the card there:
Quote:
Check the Motorola CableCARD Host Validation value on the Conditional Access screen. The field is "Val ?" If the card is validated, the field will start with a "V" (e.g. V 0x00). If not, there will be no "V" (e.g. 0x00)
I checked my Conditional Access screen, and I don't have the "V". It reads : Val.? 0x00

Am I gonna be in trouble when hockey season starts? Anyone here in Seattle have a sports package and have the "V"? Thanks!
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #3660
mae

Experience in Howard County, MD

Current experience in Howard County, MD, a Scientific Atlanta market.

I got an HD today and called Comcast. First rep says I need HD service since cablecards ONLY receive HD channels, not SD. I patiently tried to explain that's not true and the FCC rules, but to no avail. Asked for her supervisor, and after a 5 minute wait was told none was available but would call me right back. Nine hours have elapsed without that call.

Then I get a call from a company doing a survey on satisfaction for Comcast. I'm sure she's sorry I was randomly selected today.

I was going near the local office so I stopped by to be told they didn't do that, I had to call. So I called again from the car, only to be told that I didn't know the last 4 digits of the SSN on my account. I've been a customer for 25+ years through several acquisitions and never been asked that one before. How do you fix it? Go to the lobby with your ID. So I make a U-turn and go back, show them ID, but of course, still no CC.

I call again (was not asked for SSN) and got someone who didn't give me the HD speech, knew (or said she did) that they used M cards in my area, and scheduled a truck roll for Wednesday AM. I asked for a Comcast tech, not a contractor, and she said she will note it on the order, but could not guarantee it.

I'll post what happens Wednesday, but so far, I'm not too encouraged.

Last edited by mae : 09-17-2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: left something out
mae is offline   Reply With Quote