TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #3601
silypuddy

Are the channels showing up ok under the test channels menu?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #3602
jlib
Lean Forward

You need to request a Comcast technician instead of the usual contractor like you had. The typical contractor gets paid a low flat rate so will not attempt to troubleshoot. You can also first try to call the info in again yourself. See other posts here for how to troubleshoot and the info Comcast needs. Some Comast offices won't let the customer do that, though. We can't tell if it is a TiVo problem from the info you have presented so far. The guided setup completed correctly, right?

Last edited by jlib : 09-12-2007 at 09:13 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #3603
lemieuxfan67

comcast came out today to install 1 m-card on my tivoHD. tech thought the install went smoothly. i only get basic local channels and local hd channels. i'm getting the Auth Status: Waiting for CP Auth message. i've read that means that the card was not paired correctly. i'm trying to get in touch with customer service but nobody says that can enter the card data for me. who can i call that will take my info and enter it into the system. does not sound like a hard job to me.

any suggestions?
lemieuxfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #3604
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemon79
That's REALLY interesting. And potentially useful, since I traded in my two S-cards for a single M-card today, and I get to make The Dreaded Phone Call when I get home tonight.
I talked to a nice lady named "Theresa" who:
  • had set up CableCard TiVo's before
  • knew the difference between the S3 and the TiVoHD
  • knew the difference between an S-card and an M-card
  • knew to set my card up so it came after the cable box, but before the cable modem in the outlet order
  • knew immediately to ask for the host and data ID's
  • was not fazed when it did not initially work
  • never once suggested a truck roll
Theresa had me up and running inside of 25 minutes. start to finish. I'm getting every single channel I should. (It helps that right now I don't have anything complicated.) Theresa ROCKS.

(We'll see what happens with the billing, if the "extra outlet" fee pops back up, but I'm not at all sure it will.)

I'm amazed and delighted.
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 AM   #3605
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEgo19
Well, my cards were installed by Comcast on a couple of days ago here in Houma Louisiana. The cable doofus showed up with his padawan learner and he asked assuredly where my two TVs were so he could install these puppies. I told him he would be installing them in my TIVO, and he said he was not authorized to put the Comcast cards in a TIVO box. I told him that was the stupidest thing I ever heard because there is no difference whether he puts them in a TV or in a TIVO box. Then, he tries to talk me out of it by saying I would lose all of my HD Channels and he opines that there is no way it was going to work and he was going to leave because he could not get authorization from HQ. He said he'll come back later cuz he didn't have "an hour" to play with this. I got irate and told that SOB to leave the cards on my coffee table and I would install them myself. I then put the TIVO manual in his face and opened the slot on the front to show him where to put them. I had already waited two and a half weeks for this schmuck to appear at my house and he was going to leave b/c he was a retard without any technical knowledge whatsoever. I finally persuaded him to "install" them. He sat on my couch while I wrote down the data on the diagnostics for him to activate my cable. He said he could not wait around to see if it worked. I told him to hit the F#$% road! Well, the cards work...sometimes. The cards and the installation are fine, but my channels go black all the time. Even with the new software "Upgrades". There are channels I have yet to see on my TIVO. Don't know what the hell is wrong. Signal strength is fine. Diagnostics look good. It HAS to be a TIVO problem. The problem occurs mostly on CableCard 2. I have an HDMI connection. Any suggestions?
I'm glad you were able to diagnose it so quickly as a Tivo problem - odds are it isn't.

1) Were the cards paired and validated? Check the CableCARD status screens to see.

2) Try hooking up the Tivo with component cables instead of HDMI and see if any issues go away.

3) What is your video output set to? Does your set support all the modes?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:00 AM   #3606
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemon79
I talked to a nice lady named "Theresa" who:
  • had set up CableCard TiVo's before
  • knew the difference between the S3 and the TiVoHD
  • knew the difference between an S-card and an M-card
  • knew to set my card up so it came after the cable box, but before the cable modem in the outlet order
  • knew immediately to ask for the host and data ID's
  • was not fazed when it did not initially work
  • never once suggested a truck roll
Theresa had me up and running inside of 25 minutes. start to finish. I'm getting every single channel I should. (It helps that right now I don't have anything complicated.) Theresa ROCKS.

(We'll see what happens with the billing, if the "extra outlet" fee pops back up, but I'm not at all sure it will.)

I'm amazed and delighted.
WOW!

Too bad the cable industry doesn't have about 10,000 more where she came from.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #3607
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxfan67
comcast came out today to install 1 m-card on my tivoHD. tech thought the install went smoothly. i only get basic local channels and local hd channels. i'm getting the Auth Status: Waiting for CP Auth message. i've read that means that the card was not paired correctly. i'm trying to get in touch with customer service but nobody says that can enter the card data for me. who can i call that will take my info and enter it into the system. does not sound like a hard job to me.

any suggestions?
Have you tried to verify the numbers via the CSR? Does the Host ID, S/N, outlet order line up with what you have?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:06 AM   #3608
lemieuxfan67

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy
Have you tried to verify the numbers via the CSR? Does the Host ID, S/N, outlet order line up with what you have?

The 4 CSR's I have talked to say they do not have access to that information and I would need a tech scheduled to come out to my place. (Where they would get on the phone to call "their person" and read the same info that i would!!!)

So Frustrating!!!

I'm getting in touch with my tech and local department today...hopefully they can help
Old 09-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #3609
bmel

Quote:
The 4 CSR's I have talked to say they do not have access to that information and I would need a tech scheduled to come out to my place. (Where they would get on the phone to call "their person" and read the same info that i would!!!)

So Frustrating!!!

I'm getting in touch with my tech and local department today...hopefully they can help
The tech that helped fixed my cc lamented the fact that the csr that I could speak to did not have access to the same computer screens and info as the one he called. He agreed it would be so much easier if we could just handle this with a phone call rather than a truck roll.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #3610
silypuddy

Quote:

So Frustrating!!!

Do you have internet through comcast? If you do you can use the online chat to talk to a rep. The ones I've chatted with have access to the screens because I used them to verify my information and send some hits.

It's much easier to type in the numbers vs. yell them over the phone.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #3611
bpmarkowitz

Hi everyone.

Just bought a Tivo HD last night.

Anyway, we just moved so I have been dealing with comcast for like 4 straight weeks.

I called the Comcast customer service line, the lady knew about the CableCard Tivo's. First one free, second one $1.50 a month...I think I can afford that.

Anyway, then informs me that Comcast in Richmond, VA is out of CableCards so she can't put the order in. Also can give me no time frame on when they would have them...Said call back at the end of next week. Aren't they required to have these things available in some kind of timely manner? It seems to me they could at least put the order in and let me know when they have them.

Last edited by bpmarkowitz : 09-13-2007 at 10:18 AM.
bpmarkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #3612
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

The second truck roll happened this morning, and I think this guy might have known even less about CCs than the first one. A supervisor's coming in an hour. About farking time.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #3613
rad1701

This thread is very interesting. I think someone needs to email the URL for this thread to someone at Comcast. Hopefully someone high up the food chain.

Still waiting for my next Comcast visit set for tomorrow night. I might try that online chat idea tonight to make sure all the validation numbers are correct in their system. I still only get some basic channels and the local HD with my M-Card in my TIVO-HD. I know it's either an authorization thing or a bad M-card (or both).

I need that Theresa from above to help me too!
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #3614
bicker
Gruff

If this thread was taking place on the USA Today forums, then perhaps that would be useful. We're a small group of high-end users. Until J6P cares about this stuff, service providers won't see this as a big problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #3615
giltanis

So I have the direct phone number of an Executive Support guy(whatever that means) in my local part of Comcast(South Jersey) and I am think I need to use him to get me someone to do the various over the phone bits that the Techs that visit fail to do correctly. I have been reading this thread and attempting to compile a list of all the problems people have had with the systems at Comcast and all the various fixes for the cablecards but I was wonder if anyone had already compiled a list of things things(Like should I tell them to Cold Init the cards and then hit them?).

If no one has done such a thing then thats fine I was just curious since this is such a huge thread.
giltanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #3616
bizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
If this thread was taking place on the USA Today forums, then perhaps that would be useful. We're a small group of high-end users. Until J6P cares about this stuff, service providers won't see this as a big problem.
You make a good point. If the AV geeks on this forum can't get their equipment to work with Comcast service, how the heck is my grandma supposed to?

The fact that this thread is well over 100 pages, and shows no change in the year it has existed (compare the first and last pages!) should be a monumental embarrasment to Comcast. I have no idea why heads have not rolled there months ago.

For all the disapointments DirecTV has caused me, at least they knew how to make their equipment work.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #3617
rad1701

I kind of think one of the issues is Comcast doesn't really want people using TIVO. Even if it mean using cable cards from them. They would much rather you just get the bad Comcast DVR box and dump your TIVO service.

Anyway - fingers still crossed for my third cable guy visit tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #3618
bicker
Gruff

I don't think there is any embarrassment forthcoming. As far as they are concerned, they are doing what they are supposed to, as well as they're supposed to, and Go Hokies! is quick to remind us that they have very high success rates.... well over 95% of customers get the CableCards working. You can whine about the trouble that folks have to go through to make that happen, but the reality is that just doesn't register because it is nothing beyond par for the course with regard to mainstream service expectations in our society. Frustrating, isn't it, but blame that on J6P's incessant fixation with getting everything cheap. The American consumer has abrogated whatever consumer power they've ever had by regularly choosing suppliers based principally on price, and refusing to do without when they're unsatisfied with offerings and/or service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #3619
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Looking in the Conditional Access screen, what does Auth: MP mean?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #3620
bmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
Looking in the Conditional Access screen, what does Auth: MP mean?
The CC is not properly authorized. You won't get all your channels. It should read Auth:S
Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #3621
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmel
The CC is not properly authorized. You won't get all your channels. It should read Auth:S
I realize that, but I was just curious as to what the MP means. Probably something-Pending.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #3622
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701
I kind of think one of the issues is Comcast doesn't really want people using TIVO.
Of course they don't. So they're going to make it as inconvenient as they can get away with, without making it so inconvenient that they get smacked down by the feds for being anticompetitive.

I say again: if the FCC had some balls and the CableCard regulations that they passed had some teeth, we wouldn't be in this mess.
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:32 AM   #3623
bicker
Gruff

And the fact that they don't indicates how important that aspect of FCC regulation actually is, in the grand scheme of things in our society.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #3624
rad1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
I realize that, but I was just curious as to what the MP means. Probably something-Pending.
I have exactly the same issue now. Mine says MP and I only get a partial channel selection. Do authorization problems almost always just relate to how Comcast has things in their system (Host, data numbers, etc.) or can a bad cable card have trouble being authorized?

In any case, cable guy is coming later today to hopefully finally resolve this. Hopefully with some shiny new M cards with him.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #3625
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
And the fact that they don't indicates how important that aspect of FCC regulation actually is, in the grand scheme of things in our society.

While I may totally agree with you that in the scheme of things it's probably not that big of a deal, I'm not sure I agree that's why the FCC hasn't done it's job.

I think it goes more to the fact that the FCC is a bunch of MORONS or cable lackeys.

Recent example- Apparently they are now going to "investigate" if comcast and others use the terrestrial loophole to keep from sharing their RSN's with the competition. Ya Think?

My round about point is the Congress passed a law that told the FCC to act to ensure the retail availability of 3rd party devices. It's not up to the FCC to decide if that's unimportant or not- it's up to the FCC to follow the law. The FCC IMHO has not yet done it's job. It's now 10+ years later and aside from a few hundred thousand (if that) tivo cablecard boxes and a few tv models there's not anyone in the retail space. The few tv's with cablecard are likely to go away because the 2-way impasse that the FCC has not yet dealt with. There was a need for 2 way boxes probably 10 years ago- we've had PPV all that time- no? And still they are just beginning to fish for comments on the subject about what to do.

The government is by no means speedy- but 10+ years and no end in site for a relatively unimportant issue? It's not like congress instructed the department of health and human services to "fix" the cost of health insurance or something that really is important. What's the big hold up....
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #3626
lemieuxfan67

UPDATE!

ok...so a new tech came out this morning. we tried getting the card to work but still got a CP NOT Auth message.
Installed a new card, got that paired, then we got CP Auth message!!!

So now it looks like the card is auth. correctly. But STILL not getting more than broadcast local SD and HD channels.

Tech. said that it could possibly be a billing issue. (he said that last time he did a tivo they had to take all programming off and add them back on, then re-hit and it worked)

Any suggestions? (looks like i'm getting closer)
Old 09-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #3627
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701
I have exactly the same issue now. Mine says MP and I only get a partial channel selection. Do authorization problems almost always just relate to how Comcast has things in their system (Host, data numbers, etc.) or can a bad cable card have trouble being authorized?

In any case, cable guy is coming later today to hopefully finally resolve this. Hopefully with some shiny new M cards with him.
Best of luck.

Had two techs out yesterday and that's when I got the MP message. I got the "Give it time" spiel, which we all know is crap.

I have a call in to a senior technician, so I hope he calls back today. Contemplating filing an online complaint with the Chicago franchising authority today if it's not fixed.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #3628
commodoros

I am in Memphis, using Comcast. They came out yesterday to install the cable cards. really hoping for the M-Card, but no such luck. Tech came out with 2 Scientific Atlantic S-cards. Said eh knew exaclty how to install them and expected it to go smoothly. Long story short, I am now just getting basic channels, no premiums. Tech said it might take a few hours for them to come in, its now been 21 hours and still no premiums.

The Cable Card diagnostics screen makes it appear that the cards have been authorized, but this appears on the dianositc screen as well for both cards "Powerkey Status:Not Ready-waiting for EMMs". Anyone have any idea what that might mean?
commodoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #3629
rad1701

Man - I'm getting more worried now. Do folks think it's possible that HD TIVO, and certain Cable Cards in certain areas just plain don't work well together - yet? I have about one day left before my one week free trial is up for my HD TIVO. I'm worried I won't get this all solved before then.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #3630
oldskoolboarder

I have Comcast in Menlo Park, CA. My father in law has Comcast in Atherton, CA. Last nite, both our S3 Cablecards wouldn't tune above Ch 100. In the diag screens, the cards weren't operating (I forget the text). We both had to restart to recover.

Anyone else seeing this?
oldskoolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote