TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2007, 01:47 AM   #3511
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap
Not 100% but others here recommended I mentioned where the dashes were to Comcast.
Don't confuse them.

Just the numbers, no dashes.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #3512
WeBoat

Just a followup on my 7 week TivoHD problems.....

I'm now talking with two senior engineers at the head end and the regional VP for my area.

Get this: They claim to never have setup a tivo HD or an S3. They actually went out and BOUGHT a Tivo HD to test with yesterday. They now claim they have found 3 serious issues with their CC setup at the head end. One with SA cards, one with Motorola cards and a pixelation issue. Now they are talking with SA, Motorola and Tivo. I got 4 calls yesterday asking to test on my end, one claiming motorola made a code change at the head end. Promised more calls today and the VP said he will be checking with them several times a day until this is resolved.

We'll see. Going on week 8 this weekend.

Oh... Also I've got moto cards and am not getting 7 HD channels. I get everything else. A senior comcast engineer for our entire area could not get the SA cards to get ANY encrypted channels at the head end location.
WeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:11 AM   #3513
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBoat
Oh... Also I've got moto cards and am not getting 7 HD channels. I get everything else. A senior comcast engineer for our entire area could not get the SA cards to get ANY encrypted channels at the head end location.
I was always under the belief that the card manufacturer had to be the same as the equipment manufacturer of the headend equipment. That is, moto cards for moto headend, SA cards for SA headend.

Are you saying that they are trying a mix and match?
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #3514
WeBoat

According to what he told me on the phone yesterday. They didn't have moto cards at the head end, but they had worse troubles than mine with the SA cards.

My first truck roll installed SA cards. I think it was the third one when they found some Moto cards and installed them because the installer said "they work better".
Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #3515
jrm01

Quote:
Just a followup on my 7 week TivoHD problems.....

I'm now talking with two senior engineers at the head end and the regional VP for my area.
If you have the attention of all the folks theree, maybe you could get them to try an experiment.

Have them remove all equipment from your account except the two cablecards (no DVRs, STBs, etc.). Have them re-enter the proper authorization for the two Digital Outlets remaining (2 cablecards). Have them re-enter the pairing information (host/data, serial numbers). Have them send an authorization hit to both cards.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #3516
jrm01

Quote:
According to what he told me on the phone yesterday. They didn't have moto cards at the head end, but they had worse troubles than mine with the SA cards.

My first truck roll installed SA cards. I think it was the third one when they found some Moto cards and installed them because the installer said "they work better".
I'm not talking about "moto cards at the head end", I'm talking about the head end equipment that the cards talk to.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:56 AM   #3517
WeBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
If you have the attention of all the folks theree, maybe you could get them to try an experiment.

Have them remove all equipment from your account except the two cablecards (no DVRs, STBs, etc.). Have them re-enter the proper authorization for the two Digital Outlets remaining (2 cablecards). Have them re-enter the pairing information (host/data, serial numbers). Have them send an authorization hit to both cards.

I'll mention that when he calls this morning, but I assume that the new TivoHD they just bought is on an account by itself. I'll pass back the findings.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #3518
WeBoat

Quote:
I'm not talking about "moto cards at the head end", I'm talking about the head end equipment that the cards talk to.

I wasn't either. I have motorola cards in my HD. I've had SA cards in the same HD so I guess it doesn't matter what is at the head end. I'll ask this morning what the head equipment is.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #3519
Status

I forgot to mention that the Comcast guy who came out for my service install, it was his first, but he had a guy on his NexTel who knew a lot about TivoHD and S3 installs as a reference.

One of the tricky bits that the knowledgeable knew about was that upgrading service didn't seem to work for some/most cable cards. What he knew worked was if service was downgraded. So, since I was upgrading from Basic to Classic the technician called Comcast and they upgraded me to the Platinum service and then removed functionality until I was at the Classic package. One other slight issue was that some of the channels wouldn't reset correctly until the work order was marked as done...then they surprisingly started working.

-Status

Last edited by Status : 09-07-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #3520
joyriderama

Does anyone have a real reason why some markets allow cablecard self-installs, and others absolutely refuse to allow it?

I live in an area that doesn't allow it(Minneapolis), and that's very frustrating. I want a Tivo-HD, but I'm dreading having to deal with a tech that doesn't know what they're doing. Well, if they're anything like the previous techs I've had to deal with, that is.

Ugh.
joyriderama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #3521
stlmapman

Comcast Hell in Charlottesville, VA

4 service calls, hours and hours of time spent explaining and re-explaining my story and what a cablecard is ("No, it's not a box!"), and a trip to the Comcast local office later, I'm still where I started. No working cablecards. No idea if Comcast will ever figure this out. And another worthless tech visit scheduled for Sunday.

I hate Comcast and hate that I have to deal with them in order to have Tivo, which I obviously love. As far as my technical issue is concerned, I now have a Scientific Atlanta M-card that doesn't work. We've gone through 10 cards, it clearly is a problem on Comcast's end. Every card shows "Waiting for CP Auth" and is unpaired. I don't have a menu option for "Cable Card Pairing" that it sounds like I am supposed to have. I don't know what to do anymore. It shouldn't be this hard.
stlmapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #3522
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Got the TiVo HD set up late last night with no problems and am now in the middle of the Comcast install range.

*crosses fingers*
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #3523
rad1701

What brand M-cable cards are most Comcast places using? Wasn't there a problem with the Scientific Atlanta cards and TIVO working well together?

Has anyone found that Digital Classic isn't available? For some reason when I look at package choices on Comcast's site I see Digital Starter ($53/mo) and Digital Preferred ($67/mo). No classic? What price does that run normally?

Oh and do all the ON DEMAND features work with cable cards installed in HD TIVO still (assuming you have it working well)?
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #3524
stlmapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701
What brand M-cable cards are most Comcast places using? Wasn't there a problem with the Scientific Atlanta cards and TIVO working well together?

Mine have all been Scientific Atlanta, however we aren't even getting to the point of seeing the pixelation problems that TiVo has supposedly addressed.
stlmapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #3525
borabora

Thanks to the insights provided by this forum my installation went fairly well. The Comcast installer left after 1 hour with cards installed and service not working and said that it will start working soon. I was happy to have him leave as long as he left the cards.

Of course (as expected) things did not fix themselves automatically. I removed an S-card from slot 1 and a M-card from slot 2 (!) and placed the latter in slot 1. Called Comcast and asked for an activation (assuming that the numbers had been called in already) and indeed after 1/2 hour everything worked and seems stable. Now I have a spare S-card...

While Comcast clearly does not train their installers properly, I also have to say that Tivo's decision to make slot 1 the right slot and slot 2 the left slot is very confusing (at least in the US).

I am looking forward to multi-room and PC support but probably my first priority would be to have the UI sped up significantly.
borabora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #3526
Thunderclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemon79
Since I'm still thinking about replacing my two S-cards with a single M-card (poking the bear, yes, I know), and I suspect I'll be on the phone with these people, what's the sequence here when you say "at least twice"?
I just had them hit, validate, hit, validate.
Thunderclap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #3527
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
Got the TiVo HD set up late last night with no problems and am now in the middle of the Comcast install range.

*crosses fingers*
No go for today.

The guy said there were none in the warehouse, and that he tried calling me (he did not). He said they might be in tomorrow but there's no way to really know.

I left a message at their corporate HQ, so we'll see what they say.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #3528
rad1701

Just called Comcast. Setup a Cable Card install (told them I wanted an M-card) for this coming Monday. I also had them note on the work order that I wanted someone experienced with Tivo HD installs to come to do it. I had to switch from Digital Starter to Digital Preferred but they are running a one year special for only 7.95 per month for that. Install is going to cost me $9.95. No charge for the card since it's the only equipment I will have from them. I will report back Monday after the visit. Wish me luck!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #3529
oldnacl

My CC install is scheduled for tomorrow. I forced the "c" download yesterday, so hopefully I'll be good to go. Also hoping for good luck wishes.
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #3530
rad1701

What is this "C" download? I have yet to hook my HD TIVO box up at all.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #3531
tmesser

Quote:
What is this "C" download? I have yet to hook my HD TIVO box up at all.
The C download is the latest software revision (8.1.7c2) to fix a macroblocking issue that some TiVo HD users are seeing with Scientific Atlanta CableCARDs. You should get it automatically when you set up your box.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #3532
rad1701

Can a cable card HD TIVO still network to older TIVO's in my house and transfer shows between TIVO's?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #3533
tmesser

Quote:
Has anyone found that Digital Classic isn't available? For some reason when I look at package choices on Comcast's site I see Digital Starter ($53/mo) and Digital Preferred ($67/mo). No classic? What price does that run normally?
I had the Digital Classic package on my account until very recently (I just moved to Digital Preferred with 1 premium so I could add HBO -- I loves me some Entourage and Bill Maher ). According to the Comcast site, Digital Classic is available in my area for $3 less than Digital Preferred. The only real difference between Classic and Preferred is about 30 digital channels (Fox Reality, Soap Net, Bloomberg TV, CNBC World, The Biography Channel, etc.) -- channels that I personally will never watch.

My Comcast channel lineup states that Digital Classic is all you need to get the digital non-broadcast HD channels, and I had them. Perhaps they're phasing out Classic in some markets in an effort to consolidate their product line (and effectively charge more to get HD). I always thought the line between Classic and Preferred was pretty small, anyway.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #3534
jrm01

Quote:
Can a cable card HD TIVO still network to older TIVO's in my house and transfer shows between TIVO's?
Not yet. But Tivo reported today that it will be available in November (for non copy protected content, basically excludes HD Premium channels).
Old 09-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #3535
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
The website does not have all of the available options. You need to look at the price sheet that's usually included in the January statement. Classic should be around $12/month.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #3536
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
No go for today.

The guy said there were none in the warehouse, and that he tried calling me (he did not). He said they might be in tomorrow but there's no way to really know.

I left a message at their corporate HQ, so we'll see what they say.

So about 10 minutes after the guy leaves, I get an automated call saying to expect someone from 11:45 to 12:30, which I thought was just a mistake from the earlier appointment that hadn't been corrected yet.

20 minutes later, I get a call from the Comcast guy and he's downstairs. He said he went back to base and his supervisor found two cards laying around. We insert the first (an M-card...yay!) only to not receive the encrypted channels after several hits and INTs. The second card (an S-card, which I gladly would've taken until the mess could get sorted) gave a 161-1 error which indicates either a bad CC or a bad CC reader (it was a bad CC, because the TiVo did recognize that a card was inserted, and it got all the hardware and firmware info fine).

So now I'm waiting for customer service to call me to reschedule.

*sigh* I just KNEW this was going to be a saga.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #3537
MichaelK

Quote:
Not yet. But Tivo reported today that it will be available in November (for non copy protected content, basically excludes HD Premium channels).

on many cable systems ALL digital content (HD or even SD) is copy protected. (with the exception of the legally mandated local channels which must be kept clear)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #3538
mike_sjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioATL
Hmm was just told by customer care that all the M-cards they have now are designed just for their new boxes and that the M-cards cards that can be used in people's TV's and tivo units won't be available till the end of the year.

And of course the warehouse is out of single stream cards.
That's a lie. I have a Tivo HD box with a M-card in it. Apparently my Tivo isn't aware the card isn't designed for it because it's working just fine
mike_sjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #3539
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sjc
That's a lie. I have a Tivo HD box with a M-card in it. Apparently my Tivo isn't aware the card isn't designed for it because it's working just fine
But see, they said "Now" so it doesn't count those of us who recieved M cards before "now".

They probably want you to use S cards because they think they are still buggy with Tivo's. Unaware that the fix is out.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #3540
rad1701

So if you wanted to pick which cards to go with for a new Tivo HD setup which would it be? One M (multistream card) or two S - cards. The Comcast guy is coming Monday for me.