TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #3361
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickwid
Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

I had an appointment today to install my Cablecards into my TivoHD. What is Comcast's policy regarding them showing up late? The original appointment was for 1-3pm PST. It's 3:10 right now. Should I call Comcast now?
I had an appointment yesterday between 11am-1pm. At 2:45pm I called and was told he wouldn't be showing up and they rescheduled me for 9am-11am today. At 11:05am I called and they couldn't find record of the 9am-11am appointment and assured me they'd get someone out today but had to call me back about when. At 3pm I called to find out when they were going to show up since no one had called me back. They assured me someone wouldcome today to install 2 CableCARDs. At 6:07pm I called to let them know no one has shown up yet and to ask what's going on. I'm on hold.

This is so fun, isn't it?

(Translated: call now)

Actually I was just disconnected. Idiots.

And to top it off, they always ask my phone number even though I entered it when prompted. And when I call from my cell phone I have to enter it twice, so obviously at one stage it's recognizing my home phone number as an active account, but even then they're making me reenter it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #3362
mhargr03

Call Comcast's Executive Care Offices at 800-630-2140 (edit: apologies, this apparently is a Chicagoland area only number). They called me back within 7 hours of my sending an email to the Midwest Division VP. They were willing to schedule a technician outside of normal hours in an expedient time frame after my appointment was cancelled without notice and without explanation.

They should also offer a $20 Customer First credit for missed appointments.

Last edited by mhargr03 : 08-24-2007 at 08:18 PM.
mhargr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #3363
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Ordered the TiVo HD from Amazon and scheduled the Comcast tech for 9/6.

The CSR had no clue what an M-Card was, so I had him note the request, and I also asked that he bring several cards along with him in case of failure.

Now to see how badly Comcast f**ks this up.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #3364
mcalhoon

I bought the Tivo HD on 8/12 and Comcast scheduled a CableCard install on the morning of 8/13. On 8/13 I get a call saying they had no CableCards and they rescheduled for 8/15. On 8/15 the same lady called back and said they have no CableCards and would not give me any type of time frame of when they would have some. She said she would keep my order open and give me a call when they had some.

I happened to have a business card of a Residential Sales rep who had visited my neighborhood earlier in the year, so I decided to e-mail him. He is on the commercial side now, but he checked for me, and they do not expect any CableCards until late September or early October.

2 months for a CableCard seems to be a long time to wait. I tried e-mailing and calling Comcast customer service for an explanation, but I have not gotten any type of straight answer so far. Verizon FIOS tv is an option, but I have a promo deal with Comcast right now. The added cost and reduction in features wouldn't be worth it, so I guess I am stuck.
mcalhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #3365
phipsi1237

Delaware Drama Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhargr03
No shows are unnacceptable when they give a 4 hour window and expect someone to be waiting for whenever they feel like showing up. This happened to me as I waited an entire Saturday afternoon only to call at the end of my window to find that my work order had been mysteriously cancelled. Luckily I was able to go to my local office to pick up two cards. Call Comcast's Executive Care Offices at 800-630-2140 and explain your issues. 2 no-shows and an offer of $20 is insulting. They will dispatch someone hopefully ASAP.

Installers were supposed to be here between 11 and 2 today. I called Comcast at 1:50 to ask when they would be here. She couldn't find my appointment at all. I called the Executive Care Office number above; however, she said they were in Chicago and couldn't help me. I called Comcast back and asked to speak with a supervisor. The CSR put me on hold and talked to the Sup. CSR came back and said they would be out tomorrow between 2 and 5. I asked him if he was sure. He said yes because the supervisor pushed it into the system. Why the heck should a Sup have to put it in the system for it to get done!!! He said he guessed with the cable cards that a technician had to do the install. They still wouldn't let me pick them up. B.S. I definately will not pay for the install. Anyway, we'll see what happens tomorrow. I did ask them to bring out multiple cards in case they were bad. I asked for an M-card and the guy didn't know what I was talking about.
phipsi1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #3366
vincentfox

I got my TiVO HD a few days ago.

After loading latest update b2, the appointed hour(s) arrived.

The Comcast tech showed up. Well THREE of them showed up. The lead guy had 2 trainees in tow so you would assume I got someone really good. But he had no idea what the M-card I'd requested was, and had brought a single S-card. Tried it and had problems as noted elsewhere.

After a morning spent fiddling with this thing, I give up. I called and requested a return. I'm not going to spend a 2nd day struggling with Comcast or the beta software or whatever. Perhaps in 3 months or so I will try again.

Who dreamed up this HDTV cablecard nightmare? Hooking up TV stuff used to be so simple.....

Last edited by vincentfox : 08-24-2007 at 08:40 PM. Reason: addition
vincentfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #3367
kikar

Help

I picked up a THD last week and debated getiing cablecards for it. I ran the setup and everything was fine uing the QAM and OTA tuner. Well today I folded and went down to the local Comcast office and suprisingly the lady handed me an Mcard and told me there was no monthly charge for it. I took it home and called to activate. Well I was only receiving the local HDs no analog so I called and they said the would reactivate and that it would take an hour to take effect. an hourr later...the same thing.
This time I decide to upgrade to basic digital and the HD package. I called, they added and sent the sig. to the cable card. Another hour later only locals. then log on for a chat session with a tech who proceeds to tell me it is tivo's problem and I need to contact them.....
......any suggestions ?
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #3368
moneytrain8

I bought the Tivo HD Wednesday. Comcast (Baltimore) came out today. Very nice installer, but no matter what they tried, they could not get the channels to show up correctly.

First they said the signal was too weak. Okay, well, I've been getting On Demand and everything else with the HD box I had, but if you say so. So they put an amplifier on on cable lines.

Then, it still wouldn't work, so they spent 2 hours trying to get the dispatcher (since Comcast subs all their install work out) to get Comcast to activate my card correctly. Finally, the dispatcher was told my account had been "escalated." No idea what what means. So I called Comcast directly, and was told that the problem would be fixed "sometime tonight," and that the problem was that the dispatch set the card up wrong, and that they would be going in there tonight to fix it.

Weird thing is I get pretty much all my local HD channels, and mix of random channels higher in the channel numbers (along with Comcast Music channels), but I get nothing in the lower channel range. And my TiVo guide is showing incorrect information, too.

I saw someone here mention only getting local HDs. I didn't wade through the 113 pages, but I guess I will be on the phone with Comcast tomorrow trying to figure this out.

Oh, and I called TiVo CS, just to make sure it wasn't the box (I knew it wasn't). What a breath of fresh air it is speaking to TiVo reps. It wasn't pleasant waiting nearly 30 minutes when I was told ~10, but the rep was so nice and quickly was able to ascertain that the problem is that my MCard is not pairing up with the host/card ID data Comcast has on file. What a surprise, Comcast screwed something up!
moneytrain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #3369
wam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream
Got a TiVo HD yesterday, called Comcast, got an appointment for 10 AM - 2 PM today to install CableCARD. Tech arrives at 10:15. Requested M-CARD, which the tech had brought. He said he'd done 4 or 5 TiVo HD CC installs, inserted Motorola M-CARD and called in info, and 10 minutes later I'm up and running! Feeling it was too good to be true (after reading the horror stories about CC installs) I didn't let him leave until I tested many channels on both tuners, and the tech leaves at 10:45.

And so far, after a few hours of viewing live and recorded content, no pixelation/macroblocking. Keeping fingers crossed.

Assuming all goes well for next few weeks, I can't wait to return the Comcast HD DVR.
Wow...a success story! What part of the country are you? I'm in Atlanta waiting on Comcast to come and deliver my card(s) for the TivoHD I bought yesterday. Unfortunately, they seem to have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask about the M-Card...and the earliest appointment is Sept. 8th. The phone tech also said that he was pretty sure that their service wasn't yet compatible with the TiVoHD, and only works so far with the $800 HD TiVo. Anyone else here of this?
wam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #3370
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam4
The phone tech also said that he was pretty sure that their service wasn't yet compatible with the TiVoHD, and only works so far with the $800 HD TiVo. Anyone else here of this?
In a nutshell, he's full of s**t.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #3371
stream

Quote:
Wow...a success story! What part of the country are you? I'm in Atlanta waiting on Comcast to come and deliver my card(s) for the TivoHD I bought yesterday. Unfortunately, they seem to have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask about the M-Card...and the earliest appointment is Sept. 8th. The phone tech also said that he was pretty sure that their service wasn't yet compatible with the TiVoHD, and only works so far with the $800 HD TiVo. Anyone else here of this?
San Francisco bay area.

Seems like the tech you spoke to doesn't have a clue.
stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #3372
wam4

You're both right...I went to Comcast's online chat customer service and apparently got someone more knowledgeable. They are now (supposedly) going to send an M-Card when they come and say that it will be compatible. However, this one says I'll still need 2 cards, which I think is wrong - he's thinking of the Series 3 HD, not the TiVoHD, right?
wam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #3373
stream

Quote:
You're both right...I went to Comcast's online chat customer service and apparently got someone more knowledgeable. They are now (supposedly) going to send an M-Card when they come and say that it will be compatible. However, this one says I'll still need 2 cards, which I think is wrong - he's thinking of the Series 3 HD, not the TiVoHD, right?
You only need 1 M-CARD (multistream, supports up to 6 tuners, I believe). When I called to make my install appointment, I said I wanted an M-CARD. CSR asked, what's that? I said, multistream card. He put me on hold and said, OK, I requested a multidirectional card for you. I said, no, I want a multiSTREAM card.

I also requested that the tech bring several cards. When the tech arried, I asked if he brought extras. He said he always does, but has no had problems with the M-CARD, unlike the single stream cards.
stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #3374
mchief
Morey

THD only requires one M-Card to work both tuners. I have a Comcast SA M-Card installed in slot 1 and everything works fine. The Series 3 will not accept an M-Card yet or at least that is my understanding.
mchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #3375
danjw1

So, I have a good install story. I had an install window of 12pm-4pm yesterday. They showed up at 1:45 or so. They thought they needed a second M-Card, because the one guy had been trained on the Series 3, but not the Tivo HD. I told him that mine was a newer box than the one he had trained on. I don't think he believed me at first. He went outside with the other guy for a few minutes. I think he was making a call to decide if he really needed another card or not. Any way within an hour everything was up and working all my channels are working properly. I am a little concerned that on the diagnostics page, the CableCARD 1 is listed with Card Serial Number(h): 0x0 Card Serial Number(L):0xXXXXXXXX with the X's being the serial number. Does anyone know why the Card Serial Number(H) would be 0x0?

Thanks.

Dan

Last edited by danjw1 : 08-25-2007 at 01:22 PM.
danjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #3376
silypuddy

Today will be visit #2 from comcast.

Installer came out Thursday and installed two cards. One works perfectly fine, the other is spitting out the message "Waiting for EMMs". I'm sure this is something that can be fixed over the phone, but I played CSR roulette and ended up with the following:

CSR #1: It's been a couple months since I worked with cable cards, but I will send a signal.
Me: Didn't work.
CSR #1: Ok, nothing else I can do.
Me: I'll wait and try back later (hoping I could get a more knowledgeable CSR)

CSR #2: You need to program your TV. Go to the channel setup on your TV and program in the channels.
Me: The cable isn't connected to a the TV
CSR #2: You still need to program your TV
Me: The cable goes to a Tivo with cablecards
CSR #2: Sir, I need you to turn on your TV and press the channel program button.
Me: Ok, that isn't going to work.
CSR #2: Ok, all I can do is setup a technician visit.
Me: Ok, set it up. (There goes my hope for a more knowledgable CSR)

I figured I'd try one more time... can't get worse right?

CSR #3: I'll send a signal to the cable card, did it work?
Me: No
CSR #3: Then there is nothing I can do.

So now I wait for the technician to show up. I wish Comcast had a dedicated 800 number for cablecards issues. I bet that would solve half their technician visits.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #3377
rudolpht
HD Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief
THD only requires one M-Card to work both tuners. I have a Comcast SA M-Card installed in slot 1 and everything works fine. The Series 3 will not accept an M-Card yet or at least that is my understanding.
I got a multi-stream card for a TivoHD, supposedly first day available in our area. Seems to work fine (records two channels while watching a recording. I get bad HD pixelation while a net update is occurring, but don't know if that has anything to do with the M-card or just more teething pains....
rudolpht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #3378
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1
I am a little concerned that on the diagnostics page, the CableCARD 1 is listed with Card Serial Number(h): 0x0 Card Serial Number(L):0xXXXXXXXX with the X's being the serial number. Does anyone know why the Card Serial Number(H) would be 0x0?
(H) = High
(L) = Low

It's just a large field broken up into two smaller pieces and the upper half of yours is simply 0.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #3379
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
(H) = High
(L) = Low

It's just a large field broken up into two smaller pieces and the upper half of yours is simply 0.
Thanks

Dan
danjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:22 PM   #3380
mhargr03

Quote:
My Series3 is running with 2 Motorola M-Cards...
mhargr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #3381
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The Series 3 accepts M-cards but utilizes them as if they were single-stream S-cards, so you need two right now. There will be a software update eventually to support the M-card in the Series 3 as a multi-stream card.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #3382
phipsi1237

Kent County Delaware Saga Almost Over

The installer arrived here at about 2:40pm. She said she had done many cable card installs before with many TIVOs; however, none with 2 cable cards. Didn't make sense to me. Anyway, she walked in the door with 4 cable cards. I asked if any of them were M-Cards. She didn't know what I was talking about. The cards didn't say S or M, so I assumed they were S. I showed her the TIVO installation instructions. She basically let me handle the cable cards and the remote. I told her we had to activate one card at a time. So she called dispatch to activate the first card.

We waited. We waited. We waited. On hold forever.

Finally dispatched picked up. Of course, it was a new person. Dispatch wanted us to give her information from both cards. Installer was pretty adament and told dispatch 'NO.' We have to activate one at a time. Everything worked fine. Only thing I haven't heard about was them wanting the MAC address from the diagnostics screen.

Issues at the Moment: #1 - I think I'm getting all the channels I should except HBO and Showtime. I didn't check them before the installer left. I called Comcast and the CSR said she couldn't do anything until Monday when authorizations was in. She said something about rolling a truck. Told her I didn't think it was necessary. She's supposed to call me back on Monday. We'll see. Is there anything I can tell them to speed up the process today or Monday?

#2 - Channels 1 to 99 are analog, as they were with their HD box. The installer said they weren't available in digital. How do I know if they are available in digital? I read previous posts that some people were getting digital channels with the company's basic STB. But when they activated TIVO CCs, they lost them due to mapping or something. Is this something I should press with or let it go? Some of the analog channels are crap.

Thanks for any replies.

Edit: Installer left around 3:40pm. Took one hour for the whole install. 30 minutes of that being on hold with dispatch before they answered.

Last edited by phipsi1237 : 08-25-2007 at 07:42 PM.
phipsi1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #3383
silypuddy

Technician visit #2 came and went and all we did was move the problem from CC1 to CC2. Technician visit #3 will be out Monday as I don't want to ruin my whole weekend waiting around.

Everyone thinks it is a account issue because I'm still stuck in the Not Ready: Waiting for EMMs mode on the non working cable card.

If anyone has any suggestions on what needs to be done, it would be much appreciated.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #3384
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Has anyone had success getting a CableCARD install fee waived?

I explained to the CSR that I didn't feel I should have to pay the fee simply because they won't let me install the card myself. A supervisor's supposedly going to call me back.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #3385
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
Has anyone had success getting a CableCARD install fee waived?

I explained to the CSR that I didn't feel I should have to pay the fee simply because they won't let me install the card myself. A supervisor's supposedly going to call me back.
When they no-show 2 or 3 times, you'll get a number of credits and the installation fee gets waived.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #3386
FiremanDev

Success...so far. I bought my THD this past Tuesday at Circuit City, unpacked and setup everything on Thursday, made an appointment with Comcast for cablecard install for today, then downloaded and installed the latest (?) software update- 8.1.7b2-01-2-652.

My appointment window was 2pm-4pm. The tech arrived at 2:30 (looking very confused) with two Motorola S-Cards. This was his first CC install, so I hand him the instructions that came with the THD for installing the cards. At first he ignored them, but when he started to install both cards at the same time, I stopped him and explained the sequence. Then he decided to read the instructions. It took only 20 minutes to install and pair the cards. I have to admit, I was really nervous about this after reading the posts in this forum so to have the installation go as smoothly and quickly as it did, and with a novice installer to boot, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

So far so good. The only issue at this point is a minor one...the guide is a bit sluggish. Oh, and here in the Tucson area I was told by this tech that the cards I received were brand new, AND when the local office gets a batch of cards they have people testing the cards to ensure they work. Anyone else come across this?

Kudos to Comcast in Tucson and the tech that did the install. BTW, my install fee was $38. I tried to get Comcast to let me pick up the cards and install myself, but no go.
FiremanDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #3387
jordanz
A is A

I haven't read this whole thread, but a big problem with my install (to Comcast) was an "M" card. They don't seem to work. Two standard cards are working perfectly.

jordanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #3388
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipsi1237
#1 - I think I'm getting all the channels I should except HBO and Showtime. I didn't check them before the installer left. I called Comcast and the CSR said she couldn't do anything until Monday when authorizations was in. She said something about rolling a truck. Told her I didn't think it was necessary. She's supposed to call me back on Monday. We'll see. Is there anything I can tell them to speed up the process today or Monday?
It's possible that your cards are paired, but not validated. This is almost certainly the case if HBO and Showtime are broadcast with a CCI value of 0x02 on the channel. See my CableCARD install FAQ thread for more detail on this:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=363797

Quote:
#2 - Channels 1 to 99 are analog, as they were with their HD box. The installer said they weren't available in digital. How do I know if they are available in digital? I read previous posts that some people were getting digital channels with the company's basic STB. But when they activated TIVO CCs, they lost them due to mapping or something. Is this something I should press with or let it go? Some of the analog channels are crap.
You need to find out if your system supports ADS. If they do, your 1-99 should be digital - if they aren't, then your account isn't coded properly for digital. Some have gotten this fixed by having Comcast add a regular digital converter on the account and then removing it, but there has to be a better way.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:58 AM   #3389
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi4141
Just curious as to where you are located?
I'm in Seattle. If you read a few pages back you'll see the whole saga I had with the Comcast idiots over getting this stuff installed, so it doesn't really surprise me that much that the truck roll ended up bring on the house, considering their utter incompetence at getting them working over the phone on my own.
Quote:
In Chicago suburbs I got nailed for $23.99 install fee for EACH CableCard.
Yeah, that dog wouldn't hunt with me. Also a few pages back there is some advice about contacting the Office of the President of Comcast in Philadelphia. I'd advise you to do so.
Quote:
I continue to get billed the $5.99 digital outlet fee but has been credited both times as their mistake.
...and I'd tell Philly this, too, because this needs to be fixed as well, it's clear they're not doing it, and you don't want to have to call these morons every month to get this credit.
Quote:
( I lost NFL network for some reason).
Yeah, this worries me, since hockey season is just around the corner, and if I have to go through another nightmare to get Center Ice up and running, there's gonna be hell to pay...
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #3390
oldnacl

One Comcast customer here in S-FL sent a letter to the editor of the Palm Beach Post complaining about the Comcast charge of $12 a month for cablecards. Did my heart good to see someone besides myself was getting P.O.ed about the Comcast monarchy, but, of course, in a part of the state where half of the commissioners are in jail or heading there for honest services fraud (being on the take), can we expect the businesses they supported to be fair and/or honest? If the real estate market wasn't in the toilet I'd leave here.
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote