Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #3331
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206
I'm in Seattle, WA and just got my series 3 today. I installed one M-card from comcast and after 2 calls they finally got it activated. But I can only watch/record 1 channel at a time. Supposedly the one m-card will give the dual tuner capability, but mine doesn't seem to work that way. Anyone else got one m-card in the series 3 and able to record while viewing another channel?
M-card only works that way for the tivoHD. If you have a series 3, you still need two cards, M or not. The series 3 doesn't support the M-card.
wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #3332
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzy
M-card only works that way for the tivoHD. If you have a series 3, you still need two cards, M or not. The series 3 doesn't support the M-card.
Yet. But it will do so with a software update -- no ETA yet, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 PM   #3333
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Yet. But it will do so with a software update -- no ETA yet, though.
Is that an update to the Series 3 or an update to the m-card?

Is the HD TiVo a different box from the HD Tivo? My series 3 box says TiVo HD on it...so I thought I had an HD TiVo...that's what I told Comcast and that's why they said one m-card would work.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #3334
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Is that an update to the Series 3 or an update to the m-card?

Is the HD TiVo a different box from the HD Tivo? My series 3 box says TiVo HD on it...so I thought I had an HD TiVo...that's what I told Comcast and that's why they said one m-card would work.
An update to the Series 3.

The "Series 3" was the first CableCARD-supporting HD-supporting TiVo receiver (with the CableCARD slots on the back and an OLED display on the front).

The "TiVo HD" product is the latest, lower cost, CableCARD-supporting HD-supporting TiVo receiver (with the CableCARD slots on the front and only some LED indicators on the front).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #3335
mhargr03

Here's an even easier way to put it (for me anyway)...if you paid around $600 for the box itself, then you have an original "Series3" that at this time requires 2 M-cards or 2 S-cards to have dual tuner capability.

If you paid around $300 then you have the new TivoHD with a slightly smaller hard drive and requires one M-card or 2 S-cards to achieve dual tuner functionality.
mhargr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #3336
jrm01

Quote:
Is the HD TiVo a different box from the HD Tivo?
If Tivo customers have this question then Tivo has really caused confusion with their naming convention.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #3337
Thunderclap

Not so much a CableCard question but a Comcast one. I'm looking to get a Tivo HD when I upgrade my television in a few months and am curious if On Demand works through CableCards. Does it?
Thunderclap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #3338
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap
Not so much a CableCard question but a Comcast one. I'm looking to get a Tivo HD when I upgrade my television in a few months and am curious if On Demand works through CableCards. Does it?
No.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #3339
Thunderclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
No.
Bummer.
Thunderclap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #3340
silypuddy

Well the tech stopped by and of course only one card worked.

I assume the card is hosed if it doesn't say S-Card or M-Card next to the slot label on the Cablecard screen, right?

Other thing we noticed was that the host id changed when we moved it from slot 2 to slot 1. Is that going to be a problem?

The good thing is that he is running out to the office right now to see if he can get another card. He should be back in 45 minutes with a working card I hope...
Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #3341
mhargr03

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy
I assume the card is hosed if it doesn't say S-Card or M-Card next to the slot label on the Cablecard screen, right?
Mine definitely did not say anything other than 'Card Inserted' in green, as I recall, when looking at the CableCard screen showing the two slots. It definitely did not say 'S-Card' or 'M-Card' even though I had 2 M-cards inserted. Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #3342
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy
Other thing we noticed was that the host id changed when we moved it from slot 2 to slot 1. Is that going to be a problem?
Possibly or probably, depending on if your cable system is properly encrypting and controlling access to channels. The cards are authorized based on information that's generated when the card is inserted in a new slot; if you move a card to a different slot (and the device is powered on and recognizes the move), it needs to be reauthorized, even if you move it back to the original slot.

There is a level of security that does allow an activated card to be freely moved around to different devices; though that seems to be used only when the cable systems are first getting things configured and tested... at some point they'll usually move into a more secure mode and you'll experience troubles.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #3343
mhargr03

Kind of in the same vein as above...will I experience any troubles with the CableCards if I have to unplug and move my TiVo? I won't have to call Comcast back and re-pair will I?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #3344
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhargr03
Kind of in the same vein as above...will I experience any troubles with the CableCards if I have to unplug and move my TiVo? I won't have to call Comcast back and re-pair will I?
No, you can freely unplug your receiver. You can even freely remove the CableCARDs and reinstall them... as long as they go back in the same slots they came from, and no other CableCARD had been inserted into the slots in the interim.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #3345
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhargr03
Mine definitely did not say anything other than 'Card Inserted' in green, as I recall, when looking at the CableCard screen showing the two slots. It definitely did not say 'S-Card' or 'M-Card' even though I had 2 M-cards inserted. Hope that helps.
Well the tivo kept telling us the card was bad so I guess we have to believe it.

The interesting thing is the installer just shoved both cards in at once. He didn't even want to look at the tivo directions.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #3346
silypuddy

Need some help here.

Cable guy left and it appeared that everything was working fine.

Now I'm not getting all my channels on CC1. I'm getting the message PowerKey Status Not Ready: Waiting for EMMs.

I think I need to call comcast on this, but what do I need to ask them to do?

Last edited by silypuddy : 08-23-2007 at 03:27 PM.
silypuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #3347
chadism

Comcast Fresno

For all the Comcast Fresno folks, I have not seen a post from any of you yet so here's my experience...

8 appointments (2 cancelled) over a 2 week period
10 different cable cards

Tivo HD finally functioning with dual tuners. Nice.

There is only 1 technician in Fresno right now that knows how to set this unit up. The first 6 visits were from Prince Telecom which is contracted from Fresno. Their best tech does not know how to set up the Tivo HD. I literally had parties of technicians in my house on the phone with Comcast dispatch and Tivo simultaneously. The one man that knows....Eddie. When you call to order your cable card install, insist that the install be done by Comcast in-house technician - Eddie, and save the headaches for other issues.

Comcast office in Fresno will not give you cable cards, I tried several times.

Good luck to all of you.
chadism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #3348
WeBoat

First of all, if ANYONE has a tivoHD and lives in Lee County FL, please PM if they are working fine.

Over the last 4 weeks, Comcast has been here 4 times; I've talked to a "supervisor" on his cell phone 16 times; I've seen emails from the supervisor to other people at comcast at least 5 times.

Here is the issue: I've got a TivoHD; Two Motorola cards. I get all channels fine EXCEPT 5 HD channels. These re ESPN 1 and 2, Mojo, AEHD, and something else. I get HBO, showtime, and the local HD channels just fine.

I've sent the supervisor emails on everything I can find here. They are just doing NOTHING about it. It's like I get promises every 3 or 4 days that they are working on it, then nothing. I'm getting the distinct feeling they just don't care if they Tivo works or not, or that they are purposefully doing something to make sure that it doesn't get all the HD channels.

Any ideas or other avenues I should try?
WeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #3349
jrm01

Have you called Tivo support and tried to get their cablecard support people on a 3-way with Comcast?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:35 AM   #3350
WeBoat

Yea twice. Too many pointing the fingers and comcast just says everything is right in the computer and it "should" work. Then I get an email from someone at comcast saying it could be "billing codes" and then nothing. Comcast says it's Tivo's issue, Tivo says it's comcast. Most people at comcast say it "could" be comcast's fault.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #3351
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBoat
Yea twice. Too many pointing the fingers and comcast just says everything is right in the computer and it "should" work. Then I get an email from someone at comcast saying it could be "billing codes" and then nothing. Comcast says it's Tivo's issue, Tivo says it's comcast. Most people at comcast say it "could" be comcast's fault.
When this happens it almost always is a billing code in the Comcast system. Their billing system, based on a series of codes, authorizes the channels that you are permitted to view, and sets them up for each "oulet". When a CSR then sends an authorization hit to the cablecards he actually is sending it to an outlet (which is correlated to a cable card). How many outlets do you see on your bill from Comcast? If you have their STB also on the account it will show up as an outlet also. The outlets in their system are labled A, B, C, etc. I have seen a similar problem fixed by reassigning the outlet sequence in their system to put the cablecards as A & B.

real mess.
Good luck.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:52 AM   #3352
WeBoat

Thanks jrm, I forwarded that on to comcast.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #3353
ManOfSteele

I am currently a Directv customer and have two dual tuner DTivos hooked to my Samsung DLP. Both TiVos have been upgraded to 157 hours, so I have lots of space for recording SD shows. It's a great setup, but I'm considering making the plunge to HD and it seems Comcast is the way to go. If I want to create the same kind of setup I currently have with my DTivos, I assume I will need two Series 3 tuners and four cable cards?

Last edited by ManOfSteele : 08-24-2007 at 10:59 AM.
ManOfSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #3354
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfSteele
I assume I will need two Series 3 tuners and four cable cards?
You would need two Series 3 or TiVo HD receivers.

Each would need 2 single-stream CableCARD's (the TiVo HD unit can also use one multi-stream CableCARD instead of 2 single-stream cards).

Old 08-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #3355
mike_camden

Quote:
Thanks jrm, I forwarded that on to comcast.
I had a similar issue (you can find some of my posts in this thread from about 3 weeks ago). it turned out to be billing codes with mine. i couldn't get ANYONE at Comcast to acknowledge that until I finally found someone savy who fixed it immediately. There was a whole lot of bad mouthing by comcast employees towards Tivo, which was very disappointing, especially when it turned out to be a problem with their own coding.
mike_camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #3356
cr33p

Quote:
First of all, if ANYONE has a tivoHD and lives in Lee County FL, please PM if they are working fine.

Over the last 4 weeks, Comcast has been here 4 times; I've talked to a "supervisor" on his cell phone 16 times; I've seen emails from the supervisor to other people at comcast at least 5 times.

Here is the issue: I've got a TivoHD; Two Motorola cards. I get all channels fine EXCEPT 5 HD channels. These re ESPN 1 and 2, Mojo, AEHD, and something else. I get HBO, showtime, and the local HD channels just fine.

I've sent the supervisor emails on everything I can find here. They are just doing NOTHING about it. It's like I get promises every 3 or 4 days that they are working on it, then nothing. I'm getting the distinct feeling they just don't care if they Tivo works or not, or that they are purposefully doing something to make sure that it doesn't get all the HD channels.

Any ideas or other avenues I should try?
What package do you subscribe too? I recently had almost the exact same problem as you. I was subscribed to a Digital Starter package, recieved all my local HD and for some reason was able to get DTHD. In addition I could tune both TNTHD and ESPNHD but with no audio. No one at Comcast could figure out why, looking at the channel lineup on Comcast's web site it led me to believe that I should be recieving those two channels and also a few others including AETV MOJO etc etc. Well come to find out that web lineup is outdated and based on some Digital Classic package they used to offer and now dont, the only way for me to recieve these additional channels was to go up a lever to the "Preffered" package, so out of some miracle I now have that package and my cable bill went down by almost 15 bux a month for an entire year. Not sure if that helps but thought Id fill ya in.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #3357
WeBoat

I subscribe to just about everything, if not everything. I have the comcast DVR on two other tv's and they get these channels just fine. It's just the TivoHD that doesn't get them. I was planning on getting 2 more HD's when/if this is resolved.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #3358
stream

Got a TiVo HD yesterday, called Comcast, got an appointment for 10 AM - 2 PM today to install CableCARD. Tech arrives at 10:15. Requested M-CARD, which the tech had brought. He said he'd done 4 or 5 TiVo HD CC installs, inserted Motorola M-CARD and called in info, and 10 minutes later I'm up and running! Feeling it was too good to be true (after reading the horror stories about CC installs) I didn't let him leave until I tested many channels on both tuners, and the tech leaves at 10:45.

And so far, after a few hours of viewing live and recorded content, no pixelation/macroblocking. Keeping fingers crossed.

Assuming all goes well for next few weeks, I can't wait to return the Comcast HD DVR.
stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #3359
jrm01

Quote:
I subscribe to just about everything, if not everything. I have the comcast DVR on two other tv's and they get these channels just fine. It's just the TivoHD that doesn't get them. I was planning on getting 2 more HD's when/if this is resolved.
I know this sounds crazy, but I have heard of this problem being solved by changing the sequence of the outlets on your accunt. In other words, if the two set top boxes are A & B and cablecards are C & D, have them move the cablecards to A & B. It makes no sense, and they will probably laugh at you and say your crazy, but I know that in one other case when they did this, and re-authorized the cards the missing channels showed up.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #3360
lickwid

Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

I had an appointment today to install my Cablecards into my TivoHD. What is Comcast's policy regarding them showing up late? The original appointment was for 1-3pm PST. It's 3:10 right now. Should I call Comcast now?
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote