TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #3181
sfhub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
That magic did NOT work for me, and we live in the same city.
The computer system was set up to automatically switch to digital with the free (for a year) DCT-700 in my case. I was on the phone with the CSR and within a few minutes of placing the order (while I was still on the line discussing something else), noticed my S3s switched to using ADS digital. I asked them if they had switched me to digital and they said all they did was place the order for the DCT-700s.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #3182
dipdewdog
Registered User
 
dipdewdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
The computer system was set up to automatically switch to digital with the free (for a year) DCT-700 in my case. I was on the phone with the CSR and within a few minutes of placing the order (while I was still on the line discussing something else), noticed my S3s switched to using ADS digital. I asked them if they had switched me to digital and they said all they did was place the order for the DCT-700s.
Just because I'm new to this whole thing, how did you notice that it had changed? Was there an on-screen message or were you looking in the diagnostics?
dipdewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #3183
aindik
Registered User
 
aindik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 27,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdewdog
Just because I'm new to this whole thing, how did you notice that it had changed? Was there an on-screen message or were you looking in the diagnostics?
I'm guessing, but if the TiVo gives you the option of choosing a recording quality for a recording on that channel, then the channel is an analog channel.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #3184
sfhub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,261
Messages & Settings->Account & System Information->Diagnostics

If it says QAM, it is digital.

That's besides I'm able to notice the different picture artifacts visually, macroblocking vs analog noise.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #3185
dipdewdog
Registered User
 
dipdewdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Messages & Settings->Account & System Information->Diagnostics

If it says QAM, it is digital.
I figured that much out, that's how I knew it was analog in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
That's besides I'm able to notice the different picture artifacts visually, macroblocking vs analog noise.
Thought so, the analog picture always looks 'softer' to me.
dipdewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #3186
c3
TiVoholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
How very annoying, did you manage to get the digital channels.
Yes, after a few months, without asking for it.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Plus (10/18/2013): WD30EURS
5 TiVo HDs: WD10EACS, WD1000FYPS, WD10EACS, WD5000ABYS, WD10EADS
Addicted to TiVo since 9/16/2000, all lifetime subs
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #3187
mike_camden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 162
Finishing post for my TivoHD story. Comcast finally got it figured out today. Props to the tech who spent a lot of time and kept calling back to get different dispatchers until he found one who could help him.

On a different note, Tivo as a company is absolutely awesome. They called me at home twice today to ensure that everythng was working out, and if not to see what they could do to make it work. Props to them as a company.
mike_camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #3188
AGBulls
Registered User
 
AGBulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_camden
Finishing post for my TivoHD story. Comcast finally got it figured out today. Props to the tech who spent a lot of time and kept calling back to get different dispatchers until he found one who could help him.

On a different note, Tivo as a company is absolutely awesome. They called me at home twice today to ensure that everythng was working out, and if not to see what they could do to make it work. Props to them as a company.
Mike, I'm really excited to hear you had such a good experience with tivo -- i did too. yesterday, during my lunch hour at work a Tivo CSR spent the entire hour with me on the phone. Mind you, she was on one ear and my wife was on the other -- at home with Comcast. She was totally ok with it, totally friendly and extremely knowledgable. Tivo has clearly done some kick ass training. Having people do that at your Corporate headquarters must mean big $ - and it works.

Last night, when I got home and found things still not working I called Tivo back. I got a different guy entirely, but just as helpful. he was able to validate that my two cards were installed properly by checking the conditional access screen. soon after, we got on a three way conf call with comcast everything was worked out.


AGBulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #3189
superpac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6
Well my story ends happily. I bought the TiVo HD on Tuesday night, picked up the cablecard and installed it Wednesday and by Thursday evening all my channels were active. Getting the pixelization problem but so far I've only noticed it a few times so far. Glad to have TiVo back in my living room. My experience has been eerily good. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
superpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #3190
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpac
Well my story ends happily. I bought the TiVo HD on Tuesday night, picked up the cablecard and installed it Wednesday and by Thursday evening all my channels were active. Getting the pixelization problem but so far I've only noticed it a few times so far. Glad to have TiVo back in my living room. My experience has been eerily good. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
my experrience is exactly like yours.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #3191
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,735
Exclamation

I spoke to soon, sometime last night I lost HDNET and HDNET MOVIES.

The only reason I noticed was because of my Wiseguy and Hogan's Heroes SP's.

I'll deal with it after work.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #3192
fishboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 33
Canton, GA Comcast install experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy
Okay, so I just placed my order for 2 Tivo HD 32hour units from Weaknees. Yea, I know, the upgrades were a bit expensive, but I figured since I was getting 2 units for the price of a single S3 unit, I could add in the extra. And plus, I wouldn't have to worry too much about screwing something up on my brand new Tivos.

I also just called Comcast to schedule the install. Earlier today when I was on the fence about whether to order the Tivo units, the agent told me that I was required to have the installers come to my house to "install" the four cable cards. The guy I just spoke with at 404-Comcast (I'm in the Atlanta area, Canton actually) told me that I could just stop by my local cable office and pick them up. I told him that since I'd gotten conflicting information that I'd rather go ahead and schedule the appointment and then if I go by the office and they give them to me, I'll call and cancel my appointment. So, I guess we'll see.
As a follow up to my earlier post, I had an appointment scheduled with Comcast today between 11-2. Here's what happened....

9:30am - Cable guy (Comcast employee, not contractor) shows up early and we get started. After following the instructions and getting to a point where we could see the digital channels and not the 2-99 analogs, we popped out the cards and reboot the Tivo. After re-inserting the cards, the person on the other end of the phone line talking to the cable guy "hit" the cards and they began to download "EMM" up to 39. Not quite sure what that means, but when they showed 39, we checked the channels and everything was working. From that point, we checked the second card, hit it again, saw the count up to 39 EMM and then all the channels worked! That took us about 1.5 hours - mostly because neither of us had done it before.

11:00am - we started on my second TivoHD. We followed the exact same procedure as for the first box, including downloading firmware, configure the cards in the Comcast system, then we could see the Digital channels, but not analog. We pulled the cards out, rebooted Tivo, reinserted the cards, had the guy on the phone "hit" the cards again so that we sawy the EMM go up to 39, then everythng worked. The second one only took about 30 minutes.

So all-in-all a good experience with an inexperienced CableCARD installer. He was a sharp guy, but had never seen a CableCard work and had never seen a Tivo. At that point he asked me why I wouldn't just use the Comcast DVR. So, I took the opportunity to educate him on Tivo and show him it features. He was floored by all the cool stuff that it could do. I told that he should expect more and more Tivo installs since the latest TivoHD is so affordable.

So, I sent him on his way with my two SA8300HD DVR boxes. I can't tell you how happy I am to see those things out of my house and Tivo is back home.

For those of you that want to know more specifics about my setup here they are:
- Two (2) TivoHD boxes
- Four (4) Scientific Atlanta SCards
- Digital Basic channels
- I'm a former Adelphia customer that was acquired by Comcast last year
- Comcast Forsyth/Bartow is my channel lineup even though I am in Cherokee County. This is important for those of you in my area since I originally selected the "Comcast" option since it appeared that the channels matched up. That was okay when I was only viewing the analog channels (ch2-99), but the digital channels (100 and up) were completely different.
- Comcast's network in this area does not support any Motorola products (box or CC)
- I am seeing some pixelation issues and a few audio dropouts, but I'm hoping they are going to be fixed in an upcoming release (as discussed here) and/or be fixed when the full program line up is completed its "processing". It could be wishful thinking on the latter.

In any case, I'm a happy camper and look forward to a few "clean up" software updates from Tivo.
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #3193
weshsu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Another data point

I'm new to the "real" TiVo world and this community. I've been a DirecTiVo customer for about 6-7 years now. I did the math, read a lot on the Internet about DirecTV's HD and Comcast's HD offerings, and I came to the conclusion that it's better to go with TiVos. In about 1 year, the savings in service fees (versus my current DirecTV, Verizon, Comcast combination) would pay for the TiVo hardware. Even if it didn't, I really wanted the superior TiVo experience.

So, I recently bought a TiVo HD and a Series3. When I scheduled the installation at the local office, I asked the person about M-Cards. She had no clue what they were. She asked a technical manager there, who also had no clue. I figured it was because Comcast acquired Adelphia a few months ago and perhaps Adelphia's hardware/staff knowledge was a bit behind that of Comcast's.

Comcast came out on Wednesday and lo and behold, the tech brought two M-Cards! He confirmed that I got a picture on the TiVo HD but didn't confirm it on the S3 since he didn't want to wait for the "acquiring channel information" phase.

Later that day, I didn't think much of it when I turned on the TV with the TiVo HD and was greeted with a gray screen. I rebooted the box and all was well. The S3 never finished acquiring channels though.

Yesterday I was greeted with a gray screen again. I called TiVo tech support and they determined that the box was bricked. OK, not much I can do with that.

Now I focused my attention to the S3. It was still refusing to gather channel information. After finding this thread, I called the 800 number a few times and tried to convince them to do an "Init, Hit, and Refresh". I got all sorts of different answers from, we can only do a hit to we can't troubleshoot cards. I scheduled an appointment for next Tuesday. I tried again this morning but still got nowhere.

The Tuesday appointment wasn't good enough for me. I work across the parking lot of my local Comcast office, so I walked over there and they dispatched a Comcast employee to my house 3 hours later.

I told him the story and that I now have (what I believe) to be one good M-Card and one good TiVo. So, I asked him to pair the card to the S3. I also told him about the "Init, Hit, and Refresh" and he said there's only 1 signal they can send. It's all the same. Who am I to argue with the tech? After talking to 2-3 people, he finally got a hold of someone who knew what they were doing. He verified the pairing and then...wait for it...did an Init and Hit. I don't know if there really is a refresh step. But, all is working on the S3 now (knock on wood...I thought the same of my TiVo HD yesterday until I got home).

When the replacement TiVo HD arrives he told me to contact the local office directly and talk to the guy who fixed it today.

I have to give TiVo props for how they handled my service call. They're overnighting a brand new unit and covering shipping both ways. You can't ask for much more than that. What they couldn't promise is WHEN they'd actually ship it. So, it may still be a week before I get it.

While it seems that most people at Comcast are clueless about TiVos and CableCards/M-Cards, everyone who I dealt with at the local office seemed to be trying their best. Their best hasn't been enough to resolve the issues until this afternoon, but I'm not going to slam them over it. At least the local office did what they could to get me up and running ASAP. Going through the 800 number was pretty much useless. Time to go cancel that Tuesday appointment...
weshsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #3194
jlib
Lean Forward
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Carmel Valley, California
Posts: 1,063
It is not clear from your description but you do know the the S3 will need two cards, right? You originally mentioned that they brought 2 M-Cards for your S3 and HD. Only one M-Card is needed in the HD, though.

Quote:
...he didn't want to wait for the "acquiring channel information" phase.
As well he shouldn't. I wish TiVo would update their instructions so users would not inadvertently do a Guided Setup during Cable Card install.
__________________
Series3 Terabyte TiVo

Last edited by jlib : 08-10-2007 at 10:49 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #3195
daver22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3
Smile Great Expreience in Libertyville, IL

After reading all these threads I figured there was a 5% chance I would get my new TivoHD working. Comcast had one snafu with an appt prior to cablecards being in stock. But came Friday (instead of Monday). Guys came in (one experienced, one new) and they had a brand new Motorola M-Card. I had done the initial set-up getting all my analog channels w/o issue.

He popped the card in and the box immediately saw it as an M-Card. They had two, but I explained I only need one since it was a multi-stream card. They called for the pairing, took about 10-15 minutes. After that - we tried a couple of channels and everything was working fine! They weren't here more than 30 min total.

I had to do a Guided Set-Up again. Took awhile, but I think that is because it sees so many more channels. Maybe 30 min or so. After that - everything was fine.

The pixelization issue hasn't occured to speak of. Now and again for a second, but I had that with the comcast box. Usually a field camera when watching sports. Other channels just fine. The family is excited to have the Tivo interface back instead of that crappy Comcast DVR.

Less than one day of use - but so far it couldn't have gone better.
daver22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #3196
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast
 
W Auggie H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Posts: 364
I just had a successful CableCard install on my new TivoHD yesterday. I was a bit worried going into this based on everything I had heard about the install process. I was even more worried when they got here and found out that I had a new guy in training on this run.

The Trainer was actually very knowledgeable and very much understood what TiVo and Tivo HD was. In fact they had done a TiVo HD install just the day before. I was happy to see that they knew exactly what to do and did admit that the CableCard were the main issue with installs of this nature.

The rookie did have some issues but it ended up being the fault of the lady at the service desk trying to activate the cards on my account. At one point I totally lost my internet because the tech on the phone somehow deleted my cable modem.

In the end, we did actually get a successful install and I am happy to report that picture and all look great. I am still playing around with the new box but in general I am very happy to finally have and HD TiVo. I fact, I recorded "School of Rock" last night in HD and it looks great!
__________________
William
W Auggie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #3197
jfh3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver area
Posts: 4,463
For anyone having difficulty getting a CableCARD paired for a self-install - if the initial CSR can't enter the data ID to pair the card, have them call dispatch to do it.

They will need the Host ID, the Data ID and the serial number of the CableCARD. Some will want the UA (Unit Address) of the card.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #3198
gardavis
Registered User
 
gardavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Deerfield Beach, FL USA
Posts: 137
My HD is now set up.

I mentioned earlier that on the 1st trip, the cable guy didn't bring any cards, so that was productive.

The next night, the guy brought 3 S-Cards instead of M-Cards I requested. Well, that's not a big issue. One of the 3 cards worked. It was put into slot 2 after trying a while on the slot 1 card. It came up very quickly. After figuring out only the one card worked, he moved it to slot 1 and left me.

It was a few more days till I got the 3rd visit. During that time, I hobbled along with one card plus my antenna so Tivo could record 2 at once that way. Sometimes, it got confused and tried to use or record from 2 cable sources so one came up gray. It did not seem to know that the empty slot could not be used.

Yesterday, my 3rd visit, the S-Card worked and was init'ed pretty quickly. Each visit was a different guy. The 3rd had his own Tivo install sheet.

It seems that it is important that the remote person know what he is doing and if you have that, he can direct the home installer through the steps even if he is basically clueless. Also, it helps to have the cable guy bring the cable cards, especially working cards

Gary Davis
gardavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #3199
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardavis
My HD is now set up.

I mentioned earlier that on the 1st trip, the cable guy didn't bring any cards, so that was productive.

The next night, the guy brought 3 S-Cards instead of M-Cards I requested. Well, that's not a big issue. One of the 3 cards worked. It was put into slot 2 after trying a while on the slot 1 card. It came up very quickly. After figuring out only the one card worked, he moved it to slot 1 and left me.

It was a few more days till I got the 3rd visit. During that time, I hobbled along with one card plus my antenna so Tivo could record 2 at once that way. Sometimes, it got confused and tried to use or record from 2 cable sources so one came up gray. It did not seem to know that the empty slot could not be used.

Yesterday, my 3rd visit, the S-Card worked and was init'ed pretty quickly. Each visit was a different guy. The 3rd had his own Tivo install sheet.

It seems that it is important that the remote person know what he is doing and if you have that, he can direct the home installer through the steps even if he is basically clueless. Also, it helps to have the cable guy bring the cable cards, especially working cards

Gary Davis
And what would probably be even better would be to offer customers who are not morons the option of picking up their own cable cards and providing the info to get the cards paired.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #3200
drcos
HD where available
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Venice FL
Posts: 236
One could argue that as Comcast customers we are all morons, but seeing as how I have little choice...
__________________
Hey, if I had some place to go I certainly wouldn't be in 'Cleve-Land'.
drcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #3201
mhargr03
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 29
Well here's a good one...called Comcast, got through to a tech support person in the Woodridge, IL call center. After a total of about 45 min on hold (she checked in once in a while to tell me she was still looking it up and asking other people in the office) the rep came back and said: "I'm sorry, but we will have CableCARDS in about 1-2 years. The technology is not available yet but it is something we hope to offer in the future." Nice. I guess I'll just go pick one up at a location several on the board have already gotten them from...
mhargr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #3202
Guy Kuo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 55
Took half a day to successfully install and activate two cablecards in an HD TiVo. No trouble picking up two single stream cablecards from the Redmond Comcast cable store. The clerk happily accepted return of the Comcast DVR. We were strongly motivated to switch back to TiVo after the recent introduction of iGuide to the Seattle area. The MS Foundation software would lose recordings, but iGuide had an even clumsier user interface.

Anyway....

First round of installation was successful with one card. The other card would not activate after about an hour on the phone with friendly Comcast CS reps. They were patient and tried to no avail. Swapping out the bad, second card was also done without hassle in Redmond. The new #2 card initialized much faster than the original card. Just a single hit and it was up. All were Motorola cars. The first two cards were red labeled cards. The third card was a much later serial number with a blue label. That third card showed on the pairing screen a message about one way RF, whereas the first card did not.

Once the cablecard hastle was solved, things progressed well.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, channels may not appear for several minutes after a cablecard is activated.

Also, TiVo really should redo the software so the "good" error says something like "busy" instead of just an error number.

If both cablecards had been new, good ones, the process would have gone MUCH better.

Multistream cards were not available in Redmond.
__________________
Guy Kuo
Guy Kuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:22 AM   #3203
bicker
Gruff
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos
One could argue that as Comcast customers we are all morons, but seeing as how I have little choice...
You always have a choice to do without.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #3204
clemon79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 45
Hi gang! I'm in Seattle, and I picked up a Tivo HD over the weekend. I decided I was sick to hell of waiting for Comcast to get off of their duffs with regard to their own Tivo software, and that if I was gonna pay $13 a month, I'd rather pay it straight to Tivo than to Comcast, the initial cost of the box be damned. (But not TOO damned...basically, the $300 Tivo HD hit my price.)

So, let me add my experience to this point:

I stopped by the Comcast office on Aurora on Saturday afternoon, where I informed the lady I needed two Cablecards. Boom, bang, lickety-split out the door, and I was told there would be no charge. Sweet! Next stop: Best Buy, and I'm on my way home.

Later that day, I set everything up, and call Comcast to get the card activated. The card...doesn't respond. At all. The only channels I get are the over-the-air unencrypted QAM channels. Everything else is a black screen. And this is the card that KINDA works...the second one throws an error the second I put it in the Tivo. Great. Should have known Comcast was gonna find a way to gum it up.

Called back several times, and the idjits tried several different ways to alert the cards. Nothing. Set up an appointment for a drone to come out Tuesday morning.

This morning, I stop off at the Comcast office in Redmond off of Willows Road (since it's right around the corner from my office), to drop off my cable boxes and swap the cards for two that might work. And the girl does that, and gives me two brand-new cards. (I asked, and as mentioned above, the Redmond office does not have "M" cards.) I then say "The lady at the other office told me that there was no charge for these, that's still the case, right?" And she says "Oh, no, the first card is free, the second card costs $6.95 a month." She ALSO mutters something about how some code or another wasn't set on my account, and that's probably why the first card didn't work. Nice.

Understandably, I'm a little pissed, particularly after the ineptitude they've displayed with regard to making these work, but I still come out ahead, since I turned in a hi-def and a standard-def box to do this. So I took them, and here I am at work. I'll try them tonight, and if they work I will cancel the appointment tomorrow.

So, my questions:
  • Am I getting screwed on this monthly charge (I am particularly not thrilled with this because I think that the lack of "M" cards is Comcast's excuse to screw me with this extra fee),
  • Does anyone think calling Comcast's 800-number and "discussing" this with them would bear fruit (and if so, what are the magic words I need to say to bear said fruit),
  • and if we have someone here who knows the innards of Comcast better than I do (which wouldn't take much), does this stuff about a "code" being wrong (and we're not talking about the CableCard ID's, I KNOW those were right because I went over them with the CS people on the phone like four times) make a lick of sense?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by clemon79 : 08-13-2007 at 12:11 PM.
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #3205
AGBulls
Registered User
 
AGBulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhargr03
Well here's a good one...called Comcast, got through to a tech support person in the Woodridge, IL call center. After a total of about 45 min on hold (she checked in once in a while to tell me she was still looking it up and asking other people in the office) the rep came back and said: "I'm sorry, but we will have CableCARDS in about 1-2 years. The technology is not available yet but it is something we hope to offer in the future." Nice. I guess I'll just go pick one up at a location several on the board have already gotten them from...
Don't bother picking them up at the North Ave office in the city. I did this and neither worked. I'm pretty sure they were grabbed from a pile marked "broken." You just need to keep calling back -- over and over and over again.

I would recommend a three-way conf call with Tivo if you have issues after the cards are paired. This has resolved many problems for people here (including myself). If you call Comcast and get someone who doens't know what they're talking about -- just hang up and call back.

I called three or four separate times and got answers just like yours until I got a friendly CSR who was extremely familiar with cablecards. It may seem rude, but until they're all trained (who knows when that is) it's the next best option. Good luck.
AGBulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #3206
Canoehead
1 of The Curs'd 200
 
Canoehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemon79

This morning, I stop off at the Comcast office in Redmond off of Willows Road (since it's right around the corner from my office), to drop off my cable boxes and swap the cards for two that might work. And the girl does that, and gives me two brand-new cards. (I asked, and as mentioned above, the Redmond office does not have "M" cards.) I then say "The lady at the other office told me that there was no charge for these, that's still the case, right?" And she says "Oh, no, the first card is free, the second card costs $6.95 a month." She ALSO mutters something about how some code or another wasn't set on my account, and that's probably why the first card didn't work. Nice.

So, my questions:
[*]Am I getting screwed on this monthly charge (I am particularly not thrilled with this because I think that the lack of "M" cards is Comcast's excuse to screw me with this extra fee),[*]Does anyone think calling Comcast's 800-number and "discussing" this with them would bear[/list]Thanks for your help!
I am paying $7.95 a month for my second card - Comcast in Jersey City, NJ. Apparently they are charging each card as an "outlet with equipment" - my first outlet is "free" as part of my package, but I have to pay the same for the 2nd card as if it was a whole outlet with a cable box on it. This is total BS since both cards go in the same machine. I was thinking about trying to get an M card, but the guy who installed the present cards was the only competent guy in an otherwise retarded organization, and I don't want to press my luck.
Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #3207
aindik
Registered User
 
aindik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 27,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoehead
I am paying $7.95 a month for my second card - Comcast in Jersey City, NJ. Apparently they are charging each card as an "outlet with equipment" - my first outlet is "free" as part of my package, but I have to pay the same for the 2nd card as if it was a whole outlet with a cable box on it. This is total BS since both cards go in the same machine. I was thinking about trying to get an M card, but the guy who installed the present cards was the only competent guy in an otherwise retarded organization, and I don't want to press my luck.
That doesn't sound like the Comcast policy elsewhere in the country.

Here in Philadelphia, the policy is that each "outlet" beyond the first one costs $8.90, but a second cable card in an existing outlet only costs $1.50. So, the extra charge for having a TiVoHD instead of a standard Comcast box is only $1.50 (plus the service charge to TiVo, obviously). Of course, if you have a TiVo AND a cable box in a different room, you will pay the second outlet fee.

They can't tell you that they don't know if you're using the cable card in a second outlet or not, can they? The card is married in their database to the piece of machinery into which it is plugged, right? I couldn't take a cablecard out of my TiVo and plug it into my cablecard-ready TV, could I?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #3208
clemon79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
Here in Philadelphia, the policy is that each "outlet" beyond the first one costs $8.90, but a second cable card in an existing outlet only costs $1.50. So, the extra charge for having a TiVoHD instead of a standard Comcast box is only $1.50 (plus the service charge to TiVo, obviously). Of course, if you have a TiVo AND a cable box in a different room, you will pay the second outlet fee.
Before this, I had *three* cable boxes, and they never charged me an additional outlet fee here in Seattle. (Two in my front TV, one slaved to my old Tivo, one for HD, and one in my bedroom.) The two front TV ones went back today, and are being replaced with two Cablecards. If I wasn't paying a second outlet fee before, I fail to see why I should be now. (I'm not at home so I can't look at the menu of stuff I saved out from a past bill.) I expected one card for free and $1.50 for the other one AT MOST.

So, yeah, I'm still irked, and I'd still love to know if anyone has successfully gotten Comcast to change this on the phone, and what they said that convinced them to do it.
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #3209
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemon79
Before this, I had *three* cable boxes, and they never charged me an additional outlet fee here in Seattle. (Two in my front TV, one slaved to my old Tivo, one for HD, and one in my bedroom.) The two front TV ones went back today, and are being replaced with two Cablecards. If I wasn't paying a second outlet fee before, I fail to see why I should be now. (I'm not at home so I can't look at the menu of stuff I saved out from a past bill.) I expected one card for free and $1.50 for the other one AT MOST.

So, yeah, I'm still irked, and I'd still love to know if anyone has successfully gotten Comcast to change this on the phone, and what they said that convinced them to do it.
FYI- just some more oddities to be aware of-

If I read the regulations correctly, the “additional outlet” fee is only for digital outlets- so if the boxes were analog then they wouldn’t have that fee.

The other thing to keep in mind is lots of time providers some how bundle the fees- not sure how that’s legal but an example would be my provider would charge 6.95 for a second HD box of theirs. But when pressed you can find out that it’s actually 4.95 for the box rental and 2 dollars for “Hd programming” it’s not quite the same as ‘additional outlet’ but I wonder if lots of places weren’t bundling that crap before tivo’s came along because it just wasn’t an issue until now???
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #3210
kido
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemon79
So, yeah, I'm still irked, and I'd still love to know if anyone has successfully gotten Comcast to change this on the phone, and what they said that convinced them to do it.
I called Comcast and told the CSR to go to http://www.comcast.com and do a search on "cablecards how much". The results show the following page:

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2651

which pretty much lays out what you should be paying. Now, whether the CSR will be able to actually change your account to reflect this policy is anyone's guess, but they will know after reading that page that the additional outlet is in error.
kido is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |