TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Emacee

Question Can't Kickstart Series 3

Since last night, my Series 3 has been stuck in Powering Up mode. It keeps rebooting after the four lights in front go out.

I tried to run the Kickstart diagnostics but the unit won't go into diagnostic mode (either 57 or 54) and just keeps rebooting. When I hit pause when the four lights go out, the red light (bottom-right) flashes briefly and then the unit reboots despite of the number code. (I've run Kickstart before and I know it doesn't always take but I have been trying repeatedly with no success.)

Anything I can do?

Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Emacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emacee View Post
Since last night, my Series 3 has been stuck in Powering Up mode. It keeps rebooting after the four lights in front go out.

I tried to run the Kickstart diagnostics but the unit won't go into diagnostic mode (either 57 or 54) and just keeps rebooting. When I hit pause when the four lights go out, the red light (bottom-right) flashes briefly and then the unit reboots despite of the number code. (I've run Kickstart before and I know it doesn't always take but I have been trying repeatedly with no success.)

Anything I can do?
Sounds like the capacitor issue with the power supply.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:

Anything I can do?
The change in the lights that signals when it's time to do whichever remote button combination is the right one for a particular model TiVo occurs, in my experience so far with S1s, 2s, and 3s, about 60 seconds after the Welcome screen first appears.

But if the motherboard isn't partially or mostly successful in initial communication with the hard drive, you might not ever get to that stage.

If you do, that's still not a guarantee that there's nothing wrong with the hard drive.

And, although it's certainly possible with that model that you also could stand to replace some power supply capacitors, I suspect that all is not well with your hard drive, though I don't know if it's the drive itself or some of the TiVo software on the drive.

Try KS 52, to see if you can get it to boot from the alternate boot partition set.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
Emacee

Same thing happens with 52. So, hard drive and/or power supply. Or maybe something else. I use this unit now as my third and fourth tuners (when needed). Question is do I try to repair the box or junk it and use on demand when I need more tuners?

Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Emacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:30 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Same thing happens with 52. So, hard drive and/or power supply. Or maybe something else. I use this unit now as my third and fourth tuners (when needed). Question is do I try to repair the box or junk it and use on demand when I need more tuners?
Are we talking about a TCD648250B, the one with the clock?

Does this unit have a lifetime sub?

Do you have a SATA hard drive that's at least as big as 250GB that you could use temporarily in an experiment? (any data currently on it would be destroyed)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote