TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
artemis89

Picture/audio cutting in and out randomly

I had a weird new problem develop with my Tivo. First, some info:

I have a series3 HD Tivo. I have the format set to 720p (currently).
I use Time Warner Cable.
I use a Vizio smart TV, format currently set to 720p.

My Tivo connects via HDMI. I would connect via component but I use a Slingbox Solo with my Tivo so that absolutely needs to connect via component.

Anyway, if I use my Tivo and I'm watching my recorded programs, or Live TV, doesn't matter, the screen goes in/out. Audio is affected as well. It's driving me nuts. I have changed the format multiple times, done multiple resets, changed the output for the HDMI (I have 2 ports on my TV), etc.

I have no idea what to do. Is this a sign of HDMI cable failure? I am not sure and I want to know before I shell out money for a new one.

BTW, I do use a Roku with my TV on the other HDMI input and there are no problems there.

artemis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
Check the power supply, capacitors tend to bulge, leak, etc.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

artemis89 does it ever reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis89 View Post
I had a weird new problem develop with my Tivo. First, some info:

I have a series3 HD Tivo. I have the format set to 720p (currently).
I use Time Warner Cable.
I use a Vizio smart TV, format currently set to 720p.

My Tivo connects via HDMI. I would connect via component but I use a Slingbox Solo with my Tivo so that absolutely needs to connect via component.

Anyway, if I use my Tivo and I'm watching my recorded programs, or Live TV, doesn't matter, the screen goes in/out. Audio is affected as well. It's driving me nuts. I have changed the format multiple times, done multiple resets, changed the output for the HDMI (I have 2 ports on my TV), etc.

I have no idea what to do. Is this a sign of HDMI cable failure? I am not sure and I want to know before I shell out money for a new one.

BTW, I do use a Roku with my TV on the other HDMI input and there are no problems there.
I would replace the caps in the power supply before it gets worse. I have done so many, it's a cheap repair. If you keep running with bad caps it can do some damage to the hard drive and the system board. You would not believe the damage I have seen to hard drive controller boards. If you need a list of caps let me know, I will post a link to mouser with a cart with the parts you will need. It's a easy job if you know how to solder even if you don't it just a single layer board. Let me or anyone know if you need any help. Thanks Tim...

timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:27 AM   #4
artemis89

I was concerned that it was bad capacitors or something. I actually did switch out the hdmi cables with one I had and now the problem is gone completely. Is it possible that it's from and caps or maybe it was just the cable? I certainly don't want to damage my box by continuing to run it on bad parts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

artemis89 is offline   Reply With Quote