TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
videobruce
OTA is still alive

652 reboots after stopping playback

Out of no where, twice in a row, after the program finished, I stopped the recording, the system froze, then re-booted. This was on two separate recordings in the same folder. I have had some lockups once in a while, that required a power cycle, but not under these circumstances.

This is a 652 (HD) model. OTA only.

No, I haven't checked the PS yet.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
thilde

Mine Two

Mine has done this three times today. Each time after stopping playback. Prior to today this has never happened before.
thilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
kdc914

so it isn't just me

fascinating. Same problem here. Any time I get to the end of a recorded program, whether I let it run out on its own or use the "back" arrow to get to the menu, the box reboot. Details in the thread immediately above yours.
kdc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #4
CraigK
(unspecified)

Just happened to me for the first time this evening when I was watching the last episode of the season for Defiance. After the end of the show it went to the menu and before I could do anything (I was going to delete it) my TiVo HD rebooted. This a TiVo 652 with a 1TB drive (installed a few years ago) with no previous problems.

I was just reading this thread a couple of hours ago.

I have two partial recordings that were recording during the reboot, but they both have later showings I can re-schedule.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
cannonz

That is odd, you should see what other things are in common if your in same area etc.
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
turbobuick86

Tivo HD and Tivo HDXL rebooting(4x) since Saturday9/13. After watching recorded program, hitting left or back on peanut to delete, screen goes black, reboot.

HDXL
TivoHD w/expander
OTA only and luvin it
turbobuick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #7
videobruce
OTA is still alive

I find all of this kinda hard to believe.
It's not as there was a firmware upgrade. The only thing is common is the data that is coming in, but even that varies for each area. The next common aspect is communications between their server(s) and the units.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #8
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

I have a few 648s and am seeing this same issue. Also started yesterday. I ignored it as a random coincidence at first until I saw it on 2 of my 3 boxes(all 648 with cable cards) and multiple times on each immediately after finishing a recording. It's making watching anything while recording impossible unless I want to miss programs due to the reboots.
Motorola RNG200N Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
Shmooh

I just posted this in another thread right next to this one, but I'm having the same problem. Tivo HD.

For more info: I have Time Warner Cable, and have a tuning adapter hooked to it. I do not use an antenna. It's connected to a wired network. I have an upgraded drive in it, but it's been in there since I got the thing many years ago with no problem.
Shmooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
HerronScott

OK, I'm glad I'm not alone here as I just had the same issue with an S3 OLED (648) last night (Sunday 9/7). We finished watching a show, I fast forwarded to the end to delete it and the TiVo rebooted. Comcast with CableCards and no Tuning Adapter (although I don't necessarily see a pattern above).

I should mention new HD and power supply capacitors have already been replaced.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #11
scottc42

Same problem here. Started yesterday. Charter, SE WI. TiVo HD. It doesn't happen on every show, but it happens with certain shows consistently.
scottc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #12
turbobuick86

Well, I'm OTA only, no cards, so the provider aspect is out the window.

HDXL
TivoHD w/expander
OTA only and luvin it
Old 09-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Chris Gerhard

Really weird problem to appear suddenly like this. I tried to recreate it and couldn't, I have two TiVoHDs used for OTA. Something TiVo has done must be the cause, hard to imagine so many developing the same issue at the same time otherwise.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Really weird problem to appear suddenly like this. I tried to recreate it and couldn't, I have two TiVoHDs used for OTA. Something TiVo has done must be the cause, hard to imagine so many developing the same issue at the same time otherwise.
It is truly weird, because it must be caused somehow by TiVo's guide data or other server data. There surely hasn't been a Series 3 software update, right?
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
andyw715

I have the same issue (tivo hd) but when it reboots I get a static screen (hdmi). It appears that the tivo is working (ie a scheduled recording started to record) but have to pull the plug to get the output to work.

I tried switching the TV inputs and even unplugging the hdmi and plugging it back in.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #16
abeagler

We had a variation on this happen last night - TiVo HD reached the end of a recording, then right when one would expect the Delete box to come up, it just froze. When we hit any button on the remote we would get the BONG noise as if we'd tried something bad. Had to yank the plug to restart.

I'd dismissed it as part of various flaky things it's been doing lately that made me wonder if the box was about to die (but each of which may have just been coincidence). But, now I'm wondering.
abeagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
philwojo

I had the same issue on my TivoHD (not sure on the model off hand). Watched two shows in the same folder and it happened each time at the end of the show when I hit the left/back button to get the delete option.

Then later in the evening we watched another show in a different folder and no issues with that one.

This is OTA only, no cards, but it does have an upgraded HDD in it, 1TBB I think.

Would love to know what is causing this.

I am near Chicago, zip=60561, but again, just OTA, no cable in our house.

Phil
Samsung DLP (HL-S6187W) HDTV
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
philwojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
videobruce
OTA is still alive

I decided to call TiVo support and report the issue. I asked he he/they were aware of this considering a rough count of 15 with the problem. Well, believe it or not he hasn't heard of it. The next question was if he was aware of any changes (not firmware due to the age of these). The reply was no, but I think he was thinking I meant firmware. which I told him no.

Anyway, I mentioned that others are reporting the same thing. The suggestion was to do a warm reboot from inside the menu. My next question was, isn't the crash and reboot the same thing since it was not a hard reboot (removing power)??
Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
Shmooh

I sent an email to Tivo support this morning and sent a link to this thread so they could use it for reference. Got a response a little bit ago:

-----------------
I am not aware of any rebooting issue concerning the TiVo HD devices. But I will certainly show that forum thread to the team that creates trackers so they can be on the look out for more cases. In the mean time I would like some more information. As if this does become a wide area problem the more information the better.
Do you have an external hard drive connected to the device?
Does the issue continue if you unplug not only the power, but all of the other connections in the back of the TiVo device?Test for the issue with all that disconnected.
-----------------

I don't have time to test it right now (reboots take FOREVER, as I'm sure you all are very familiar with), but they may actually start monitoring this thread for diagnostic info. Any tests you all do may be helpful to TiVo, so consider posting them here.

I'll reply to the ticket when I have time to gather more info.

For what it's worth - the only thing I have connected to my TiVo is a tuning adapter. I haven't tried hard power-cycling the TiVo or running without the TA, but I have power-cycled the TA (which did not help).
Shmooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #20
lpwcomp

My 652 rebooted today. Someone else was watching it so I have no idea of the context.

Comcast cable w/Motorola CableCARD.

Only connections are cable, power, and Ethernet, HDMI.

Upgraded to 2TB a few months ago. Previously upgraded to 1TB in 2011 when original drive started going bad.

Wired Ethernet w/fixed IP address.

U-verse internet.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"

Last edited by lpwcomp : 09-08-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Forgot the HDMI connection
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #21
abeagler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmooh View Post
Do you have an external hard drive connected to the device?
Does the issue continue if you unplug not only the power, but all of the other connections in the back of the TiVo device?Test for the issue with all that disconnected.
-----------------

I don't have time to test it right now (reboots take FOREVER, as I'm sure you all are very familiar with), but they may actually start monitoring this thread for diagnostic info. Any tests you all do may be helpful to TiVo, so consider posting them here.

I'll reply to the ticket when I have time to gather more info.
FWIW, I have an external HD, and my other connections are an HDMI to one TV and component to another. Connected via ethernet.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #22
dbthornton

Same issue here, rebooted last night when I left arrowed out at the end of a program and again this afternoon. Today it had to reboot twice before finishing.
Cable card only near chicago. Drive upgraded to 2TB years ago.

DBT
dbthornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #23
kdc914

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc914 View Post
fascinating. Same problem here. Any time I get to the end of a recorded program, whether I let it run out on its own or use the "back" arrow to get to the menu, the box reboot. Details in the thread immediately above yours.
OK, here's where it gets weird. I bought two TivoHD 20 hour units within a month of each other when they were in production. Mine, as mentioned, has been upgraded to a larger drive. My wife's never has. They both have the same type cable card and tuning adapter. Hers does NOT exhibit the reboot problem but mine does. She is using hers so I can't verify Tivo code versions, etc, but I would be honestly very surprised if there was any difference.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #24
kdc914

pattern?

OK, I think I may be spotting the pattern, here. Quick poll: how many of you have this problem but have the ORIGINAL hard drive? My upgraded unit has the problem. My stock unit does not. Apart from the hard drives, my two units are identical in every way* including connections.

* the fact that hers stays mostly on Lifetime/Bravo and mine stays on SyFy/BBC America is (mostly) irrelevant...
Old 09-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #25
turbobuick86

original HD + extender
original HDXL

both ota only

both ran practically flawlessly until Saturday
both exibiting reboots after watching recorded show

I'm glad to see it happening to newer hard drives because mine are original and pretty much on borrowed time at 6-7 years old.

HDXL
TivoHD w/expander
OTA only and luvin it
Old 09-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #26
rtduke

I have the same problem - since Sunday evening - but didn't watch TV Saturday. Tivo HD with a 1 TB drive that I put in when I bought the unit. Cablecard - M type with Fios. No tuning adapter.
rtduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #27
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

For anyone looking for any types of patterns. My boxes all have 1TB drives installed with the most recent being a new install just a few months ago. They all use Comcast cable cards in them. 2 of them have had power supplies replaced. 2 are connected via ethernet while the other is WiFi. None of them have external drives connected. All are also connected via HDMI. No other connections used. All of them now show this issue.
Motorola RNG200N Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #28
CraigK
(unspecified)

As another data point my TiVo HD rebooted Sunday (9/7/14) for the first time after a recorded program finished. I don't believe I watched a show on Saturday. It's a 652 with 1TB drive installed several years ago, CableCARD with Comcast Seattle, HDMI, connected using ethernet, with no previous issues. I watched a show on it today and did not get a reboot.

We have another 652 TiVo HD upstairs which is OTA only with a 1TB drive we use to record shows less frequently. I watched an old episode of 60 Minutes on it today and had no reboot when the show completed.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #29
abeagler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc914 View Post
OK, I think I may be spotting the pattern, here. Quick poll: how many of you have this problem but have the ORIGINAL hard drive? My upgraded unit has the problem. My stock unit does not. Apart from the hard drives, my two units are identical in every way* including connections.
My unit has a stock internal HD and a TiVo-endorsed external HD
Old 09-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #30
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

The last time I owned anything this old, and had something like this, where I'd get an unresponsive unit, and if left alone, or pressing remote buttons, along came a reboot, I found that unplugging the coax would unfreeze it, stop the reboot, and the only lost recording time was how long it took me to plug the coax back in (cable TV signal coax).

I had a rash of this on TiVo HDs and Premieres, never knew why, or how it began and what ended me having to run to pull the coax in time...