TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
cwilson336

I Hate DirecTV Blog

Please don't see this as spamming, and I'm not sure I'm really doing the right thing here. I recently have had a bad experience with DirecTV. Bad enough that after 10 years of service, I have chosen to cancel and switch back to stand-alone TiVo's and cable service. In addition, I have started a blog that I would like to eventually become a repository for DirecTV complaints and discontent.

The blog is a Blogger blog with the prefix being IhateDirectTV. I can't give everyone the link because this is my first post, and I'm not able to post links yet.

While this is my first post, but I have been using this site for years to access reliable and candid feedback on TiVo and the products that are available. This isn't just a matter of the Tivo / R-15 fiasco, my experience went much farther than that. However, it does all root in what I consider one of the dumbest and least customer concerning corporate decisions made in recent years.

With that being said I don't want this thread to just become another tirade on that, but rather just encourage anyone of interest to view my blog and input any comments.

Thanks,
Cwilson
cwilson336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
ebonovic
has gone his way...

I was intrested in what you where blogging...

But when I go to blogger.com and do a search for IhateDirecTV... it finds one entry.
Which returns me back to this thread....
Old 09-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
ping

http://ihatedirectv.blogspot.com/
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
cwilson336

Just put ihatedirectv with blogspot then com. Still working on more material, but the letter to DirecTV is posted (very long) along with an executive summary.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Meathead
LSU Tiger!

I completely understand the frustration over the $200 charge, but it appears the total root of the problem was the fact that DTV is moving away from Tivo. I do not like the decision either, but it seems that you went a little overboard in my opinion. DTV made a strategic decision to move away from the proven technology of Tivo to use their own in-house DVR software. This is a move that is being forced on all of us. It appears to me that you were going to quit DTV eventually once they forced all subscribers off of the Tivo units.

The blog is a good way to vent your frustration though. I would not expect a massive legion of followers to start lining up behind you though. Once again, just my opinion.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
rlj5242

Power Supplies

-Robert
rlj5242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
ebonovic
has gone his way...

So I read throught that very long and detailed email.

As for your dealings with the DirecTV customer support.
Sadly, your story is not uncommon from others as well... There has been for years a disconnect between the different areas of DirecTV... for what ever reason.

And what is even worse.... is your experience is not issolated to DirecTV.

Pretty much you can find your same experience with every major customer service based company out there. Microsoft, Dell, TMobile, Verizon, Comcast, TimeWarner, Dish Network, and so on.......

It is terrible that you had the experience that you did... no question about it.
And yes, something does need to change and be corrected so the chances of what happened to you are drastically reduced or eliminated...

-----------

I have one question for you though....
How long did you have the Philips DTivo, and did you have the protection plan on the unit?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Whew. Long email . Wonder what the chances are anyone at directv read it.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
dagap

Man I got so peeved at Directv once. I tried to contact them for more than a week, calling at various times of the day.

Each time, after navigating through the menu, I eventually was told they were too busy to handle my call and please call back later <click>. Not even an option to wait in a queue. I was only able to get through by calling from the neighbor's house where it didn't recognize the phone number and thought I might be a new customer. Horrible service... it doesn't get any worse.

Or so I thought. A year with Adelphia convinced me otherwise.
dagap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
cwilson336

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic

I have one question for you though....
How long did you have the Philips DTivo, and did you have the protection plan on the unit?
I had it for a little over 18 months. Unfortunately, I did not have a protection plan on the unit. The problem is easily repairable.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
cwilson336

Within 3 hours of posting this thread and communicating to DirecTV the experience I had, I received calls from the President of DirecTV and the Senior Vice President of Customer Service. These calls were not from the offices of these individuals, but from the actual executives themselves.

While this probably shouldn't be as impressive as it is, rarely does a customer complaint warrant the attention and receive the prompt reply that mine did today.

The executives I spoke with today resolved all issues and have convinced me to remain as a loyal customer of DirecTV. While I'm still not enthusiastic about the conversion from TiVo to the new R-15, I do believe I am a customer of the best digital television service available. 10 years and counting.

I'll keep the blog up for at least the next few days, just for those that have seen my other postings up recently, and want to know the results.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #12
dscott72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson336
Within 3 hours of posting this thread and communicating to DirecTV the experience I had, I received calls from the President of DirecTV and the Senior Vice President of Customer Service. These calls were not from the offices of these individuals, but from the actual executives themselves.

While this probably shouldn't be as impressive as it is, rarely does a customer complaint warrant the attention and receive the prompt reply that mine did today.

The executives I spoke with today resolved all issues and have convinced me to remain as a loyal customer of DirecTV. While I'm still not enthusiastic about the conversion from TiVo to the new R-15, I do believe I am a customer of the best digital television service available. 10 years and counting.

I'll keep the blog up for at least the next few days, just for those that have seen my other postings up recently, and want to know the results.
I for one am glad that you got a personalized calls. There are many customers out there, myself included, that are not only 10+ year customers, but loyal customers to the DirecTv/Tivo format. I am crossing my fingers that their DVR's fail misserably, and from everything that I have read about them, they seemed to be hard to manuver around and are frustrating to use. I know I will be weighing my options in the coming years when and if the agreement between DirecTv and Tivo ever expires. At this point, I am leaning to going to a standalone Tivo, but only time will tell.
dscott72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #13
scottt
Macintosh Guru

I didn't get a chance to read the inital post.

Can you post it here?
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #14
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Quote:

So Chase Cary (President and CEO of DirecTV) ?
I can possible see The SVP of Customer Service, but Chase? There must have been something else in that letter you didn't post.

So what else did you ask him? As that is a gold opportunity there.

Glad you gotten things straighted out though.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #15
7thton
no, no, no.

Good for DirecTV.

Quote:

Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #16
dscott72

Would love to know some email addresses of some of the higher ups and DirecTv. If any one knows of any it would be greatly appreciated.

HNS GXCEB0T
HR10-250
DSR 7000
dscott72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #17
patonenow

cwilson336, I can find your blog but can't find the letter you wrote or any replys. Even registered but didn't help. Could you maybe post the letter here so many can see it?
patonenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #18
cybrsrch

I recently canceled my account at directv for several reasons, mostly directv was adding March Madness and NFL Sundat ticket to my account and charginging me for it, when I called in to canceled and advised them I didnt want any on my account was advised I would need to call back in when I was billed , because no way they could help me in advance. Icanceled my account and requested a refund to my debit card... sorry dtv doesnt do that , it will take 8 to 12 weeks to process my refund and a check will be mailed out... insance customer sevice, I will never have DTV again and if aanyone reading this has it, leave now, get something, amything else, dtv does not deserve to be in business. Dont believe the adds , its the worst customer service ever, and the picture quality is terrible, so much compresion that dark scenes are very pixilated, static and lines in the picture, its far from even good. A very unhappy customer.. still havent recieved my refund after 2 months, did get a bill saying I had a credit and no payment was due... how sweet
cybrsrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:24 PM   #19
cybrsrch

You sound liek a directv plant, I dont believe a word of it, because Ive had dtv for years also and the picture quality was terrible, what technical data do you base your findings on, are you an industry tech ? You have been fooled my friend, do a direct comparison between DTV and any dvd, no comparison, sorry dtv spy
Old 03-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #20
cybrsrch

Its nice to see when there is a blog that might shed some negitive light on a subject the directv employees get into the blog and talk about how great the service is, Ya I dont believe a word of it, I hate DTV and I mean it, they are worthless big corporation who only cares about your money, and nothing more, they always have and always will
Old 03-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #21
Boston Fan

Um...no offense, cybrsrch, but did you forget to take your meds today?

Boston Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #22
JimSpence
Just hangin'

cybrsrch: Your posts don't make a lot of sense when read together.

Therefore, I smell a troll that picked up on an old thread.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #23
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
cybrsrch: Your posts don't make a lot of sense when read together.

Therefore, I smell a troll that picked up on an old thread.
Well, he could just be a newbie that doesn't know how to use the "quote" button.
drew2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:33 AM   #24
narnia777

I too would like to have read the original blog... glad it worked out though.

I personally got Directv for Tivo and I do have a standalone DT Tivo for Sky Angel and mininum cable to get the regional channels that Directv doesn't carry. I have in total 3 Directv tivo units, R10 and 2 older units on standbye if something fails with the R10.

I don't plan on ever getting their R15 or another Directv DVR.

IF they force me off of Tivo and force me to use a R15 or a non tivo then I may have to use a standaline tivo with directv receiver.

jim
narnia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #25
Bonanzaair

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnia777
IF they force me off of Tivo and force me to use a R15 or a non tivo then I may have to use a standaline tivo with directv receiver. jim
That's what I did! I have an H20 and a DirecTV D10-200 reciever hooked up to my SA Tivo. I get the best of both worlds and haven't had to cave to the DVR+ product!

Bonanza
Bonanzaair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #26
captain_video

cwilson336 - Since you've got the head honcho's ear, how about passing along my reasons for dumping DirecTV for FIOS?

1. Picture quality has gotten steadily worse over the past 5 years or more. Standard definition programming looks like bad VHS on my 60" HDTV. It's more like DVD quality with FIOS.

2. We're tired of being held hostage for one or two years just because we want to add another receiver or DVR to our account. If your product was that good then there'd be no desire for anyone to leave. I thought about sticking around for the new HD lineup but that would mean another 2-year contract and all new leased hardware. If the ppicture quality turns out to be less than advertised then I'm screwed. Verizon offered me a deal I couldn't refuse with no commitment. Better picture quality with nothing to tie me down will always be a better deal in my book.

3. Stop stealing bandwidth from channels that some of us like to watch just so you can provide HD content to other paying customers. DTV pre-empted TNT-HD for an entire day just so they could provide NFL games in HD to their NFLST holders. It happened to be the same day that TNT-HD was showing the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in Hi-Def. It was also back when I was paying specifically for the HD package. I wasn't happy when I checked the Now Playing list on my HDTivo and discovered that only one of the movies had been recorded in its entirety.

4. Stop reducing the amount of available bandwidth by adding more useless shopping channels and the like. While it may increase revenue for DirecTV it reduces the picture quality even more on the channels we actually watch.

5. If a receiver or DVR is replaced under the service plan, stop stealing our hardware and making the replacement unit leased and not owned. We paid for the hardware initially and are paying you a service contract to make sure it's in working order. That doesn't give you the right to take it away from us for a warranty replacement. That would be like a card dealership converting your car to a leased vehicle if you brought it in for a warranty repair. (Note: I have not experienced this personally but have read about it numerous times so feel free to correct me if my assumptions are incorrect for this comment).

6. Allow us access to multiple local markets. Every other provider in my area transmits both Baltimore and DC locals yet DirecTV will only allow me to subscribe to Baltimore locals based on my zip code. I can also get both markets via OTA antenna. I'm amazed that I can't get waivers for some stations based on some ridiculous formula used that says I can get stations that are impossible to receive nor have I ever heard of them. Something is seriously wrong with the rationalization being used here. If I can supposedly get all those channels via an OTA antenna then why can't DirecTV allow me to pay for them via the satellite? FYI - DTV only transmits four of my local HD channels on their mpeg4 sats. I currently receive about 14 HD locals via my OTA antenna that are not only free but also look better than what DTV is transmitting, so what exactly makes DirecTV a better choice?

BTW, if you're going to post a blog and advertise it to the rank and file here I think we're at least entitled to see what the original fuss was all about. I'd like to know what you posted that got the big wigs at DTV involved personally. All I see at your blog is the info about them contacting you so they could kiss and make it better. All that leads me to believe is that they bribed you big time to take down the original blog posting and eliminate the bad press. It appears that you have sold your soul to the devil.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #27
wolflord11
Lord of Darkness

I cant complain at all about Directv. There service has been good to us. Installations, Moving, the whole nine yards have been a good experience.

And, the last time we were having troubles with a Receiver, not only did they replace the Receiver, they also helped us hook up all our Tivo equipment.

One other thing, Cable here is expensive, and service is poor at best! So what you gonna do, switch to a company that charges twice as much, and then delivers bad service? Worse than Directv...lol.
TiVo Desktop on 4 XP Pro Computer Systems
wolflord11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #28
captain_video

Other than the gripes I outlined above I have no great beef with DirecTV. I think their customer service is among the best I've seen. Their installers, OTOH, tend to be hit or miss, but that's what happens when you hire outside contractors. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get the MVA rejects. I've done all of my own DTV installations from the ground up so I've never had to deal with an actual installation scenario before. The only times I dealt with installers was when I purchased a Tivo through DTV during a special promotion. On both occasions I had everything set up for the installer so all he had to do was unpack the Tivo, connect it, and call DTV to activate it. The first one went fine but the 2nd guy was completely inept and darn near destroyed my HDTivo setting it up. It died exactly 93 days later, just 3 days past the window where DTV would have sent me a brand new unit as a replacement instead of a refurbished one.

While DTV offers a decent product, it could be (and has been) better. They've gotten to where quantity seems to be more important than quality as far as programming is concerned. I think they instituted the whole commitment scheme to make sure there wasn't a wholesale exodus before the mpeg4 sats went operational. HDTV is becoming more widespread and HDTV owners are hungry for content to display on their nice new HDTVs. Cable and Dish offer more content in some areas that DTV does not, making them more attractive to some people.

The HD lineups for providers in my area are all pretty much the same with DTV running slightly behind in total number of HD channels. If they live up to their promise and deliver the 100 or so new HD channels then that could make them the undisputed leader in HD programming. However, I have a feeling Verizon may be able to match them 1:1 when it comes to adding more HD content since they seem to have the bandwidth to support it. Whatever channels become available in HD to DTV should also be available to other providers as well. Cable may not be able to support them all but they should be able to handle quite a few more than they currently have.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #29
JimSpence
Just hangin'

I intend to sit back and wait out the new sats.

I won't be making any changes to programming until locals become available in my area, when I suspect I'll be forced to lose my DNS (both SD and HD). Hopefully, by then I'll have worked out my OTA situation. DirecTV may still not have all networks as we don't have full power stations for CW or NBC.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #30
snickerrrrs
Tech-no Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsrch
You sound liek a directv plant, I dont believe a word of it, because Ive had dtv for years also and the picture quality was terrible, what technical data do you base your findings on, are you an industry tech ? You have been fooled my friend, do a direct comparison between DTV and any dvd, no comparison, sorry dtv spy
I know cybrsrch's comments were "out there" but.... doesn't it seem kind of odd that not one but 2 vice presidents called him just because of a blog? Have any other TCF members received even one phone call from a Directv exec?

I really doubt that Directv is listening.

1-R10 500GB 6.4a
1-SDDVR40 250GB 6.4a
1-HR10-250 1.5TB 6.4a
1-Premier (not activated)
1-Humax DRT800 8.1 (mothballed)
snickerrrrs is offline   Reply With Quote