TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #121
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceStorm
I'll see if I can find the Cablevision Yahoo group... is it cablevision_digital?
That's the one. The cablevision's exec I was talking about is Wilt Hildenbrand. I just checked the board, and I can already see postings about S3 and cablecards. Good luck.

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/cablevision_digital/
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #122
rothsss

eventually all channels are working

The CableVision tech just left after a 2 hour visit. He removed all CableCards and installed them again one by one. Everything is working fine now. I eventually can stop monitoring the forums and go on with my life.
rothsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #123
bdlucas
Right side up again.

Did a little searching, couldn't find an answer to this question.

I understand that since CC 1.0 is one-way, you can't order pay-per-view using the S3 Tivo to order the PPV.

But what I'm wondering is this: since you can order PPV over the phone on CableVision, does this mean you could get PPV on an S3 Tivo with CableVision by ordering it over the phone?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #124
ctsshack

Well, I setup a TiVo Series3 with cablevision and it went surprising well. Installer was a little nervous about it as he had problems with some TV's with cablecard and hadn't done a TiVO 3. We were up and running with both cards in less than 20 minutes. We just followed the instrustions to the exact letter and everything worked well. The biggest problem was the guide information not showing up right and after reading the post and knowing what my brother went through on his. I just redid the guide setup and told the system I didn't know what cable system I was on and then everything worked great.
ctsshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:47 AM   #125
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan
Wilt totally rocks!!! I am no longer living in a Cablevision area, but when I did, I use to read the Cablevision Yahoo group. He was very helpful. Time and time again he got personally involved to solve customers' problems when they were getting stonewalled by CSRs. He also gave us plenty of information of what was coming. He was always up front.

If you have Cablevision, I highly encourage you to join that group. DISCLAIMER: I have no ties to Cablevision or Yahoo groups.
Yes. Wilt is an awesome guy, and gets things done when it seems that no one else can. He is a big asset to Cablevision.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 AM   #126
blacknoi

I just bought my s3 this past friday and have it working with analog cable.

My cablecard install appointment is Saturday.

Is it in my best interest to clear all settings and have the tivo box at the setup prompt for the installer for best results?

EDIT: I'm morris county Cablevision.

Oh yea, my area with a cablebox gets all digital channels (analog channels are simulcast in digital w/their box). Will the tivo show the analog feed or the digital version?
blacknoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #127
PatMcNJ

My install is this Friday. I am a little nervous (Cablevision Monmouth NJ)

Question: Can someone tell me about using a splitter? With a splitter, I can hook up thru the HD cable box, so I can get IO? I rarely use IO, I am more concerned about some stations not working at first, so at least I could still get them thru the box, until the Tivo was working perfectly. Also, husband LIKES the stupid Cablevision remote, and does not use Tivo anyway........ (he is crazy)

I need to figure out how I want the system wired up. I have a splitter now, one to HD cable box, one to Series 2 Tivo. Right now, I use the HDMI to the plasma thru the cable box (via HDI). Series 2 set up direct to TV thru a different set of jacks (only picks up SD), like the DVD player. I think I want a splitter now to go to HD box, and then to one input location, and the other side to go to Tivo series 3. I would switch the HDMI to the Series 3, use the other inputs for the box (I want to use 2nd HDMI for DVD).

I went crazy figuring it all out when plasma TV was installed on the wall in July. Great tip I got was running extra sets of input jacks....... even if you do not need them right away. (We do NOT want to take the TV off the wall!)
PatMcNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #128
IceStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcNJ
With a splitter, I can hook up thru the HD cable box, so I can get IO?
Yes, and Cablevision provides whatever splitters and coax you need. In my basement Cablevision has a splitter that splits the signal to two different cables that run up to my condo unit. One of those legs goes to an SA 4200HD. The other leg goes to a second splitter that feeds the TiVo and my SA 8300HD (haven't gotten rid of the 8300HD just yet).
IceStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #129
seredyns

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknoi
I just bought my s3 this past friday and have it working with analog cable.

My cablecard install appointment is Saturday.

Is it in my best interest to clear all settings and have the tivo box at the setup prompt for the installer for best results?

EDIT: I'm morris county Cablevision.

Oh yea, my area with a cablebox gets all digital channels (analog channels are simulcast in digital w/their box). Will the tivo show the analog feed or the digital version?
Yes - It's in your best interest to do a "clear and delete everything". I had the Tivo set up for a week using the analog channels only. When the installer came we worked for hours and I was only getting a couple of analog channels. The digitals would not come in. I read in this thread to try the clear and delete and then after that the majority of channels were working. I am still having issues with the premium channels like HBO and the Sport Pack but all other channels and the HD channels are working good. I think this is an authorization issue with the cards. Allow one full hour for the clear and delete.
seredyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #130
mllacey

Anyone seeing the Authroization drop on thier Cablecards late night? Ive found the simplest fix is a reset of the Tivo.

Could this be a Tivo Problem or a Cablevision problem?
mllacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #131
mad6c

I don't remember if it was yesterday or Sunday but the CableCard screen popped up while I was watching a recorded program, like the card was just re-inserted. I cleared the screen and everything appeared to be working correctly afterwards. Anyone have a similar issue?

So far in over a week of use I have only noticed it once.

Mike
mad6c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #132
Royster
Beardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllacey
Anyone seeing the Authroization drop on thier Cablecards late night? Ive found the simplest fix is a reset of the Tivo.

I may have seen that last night between 10 and 11pm.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=321242

"I <3 Royster" Polcamilla, jtlytle, danielhart
"Royster, you rock!" Olive Juice, ClassicX, betts4
"I mostly blame Royster" Jesda
Royster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #133
kvnobrien

Morris County Install

I'm in Morris county, NJ and the Cablevision techs have said to me that they have not had a successful Tivo Series 3 install with both cards yet.

I currently have one card working and get all the channels for my service. I just had the second set of techs come to my house to try and get the second card card to work in the top slot. When they put in the second card the error 161-4 pops up. We waited about 5 minutes and nothing happens. So they go through the other 2 cards and the same thing occurs.

Any suggestions on what i should try next? If I clear the 161-4 message, it just comes back again.

I called Tivo and they said the SMC cablecard maybe receiving a firmware update. The Cablevision tech laughed and said, "From where?"

From what I've read it seems like there is a firmware update and they didn't wait long enough for the second card to finish and may have damaged the card by taking it out.

Anyone from morris county cablevision have the same problems? Any suggestions?
kvnobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:52 AM   #134
mllacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllacey

Well this happen again this morning (Approx 0430 EST). This time while I was watching "Kidnapped" I got the Gray Screen indicating that Cable Card 2 was having a problem.

This time I checked the Signal strength and everything looked good, just no Pic on any of the Prem channels on Cable Card2.

One observation I thought Id note, this problem has happened both times just before the Tivo start to record that "Tivo Programming".

Could this be a coincidence?
mllacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #135
propermodulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnobrien
I'm in Morris county, NJ and the Cablevision techs have said to me that they have not had a successful Tivo Series 3 install with both cards yet.

I currently have one card working and get all the channels for my service. I just had the second set of techs come to my house to try and get the second card card to work in the top slot. When they put in the second card the error 161-4 pops up. We waited about 5 minutes and nothing happens. So they go through the other 2 cards and the same thing occurs.

Any suggestions on what i should try next? If I clear the 161-4 message, it just comes back again.

I called Tivo and they said the SMC cablecard maybe receiving a firmware update. The Cablevision tech laughed and said, "From where?"

From what I've read it seems like there is a firmware update and they didn't wait long enough for the second card to finish and may have damaged the card by taking it out.

Anyone from morris county cablevision have the same problems? Any suggestions?
From Tivo, "If you see error 161-4 during installation, you can ignore it. If you see Error 161-2, it means that the card is damaged and needs to be replaced."

See: http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...c/tv010416.htm
propermodulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #136
PatMcNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsshack
The biggest problem was the guide information not showing up right and after reading the post and knowing what my brother went through on his. I just redid the guide setup and told the system I didn't know what cable system I was on and then everything worked great.
I also am missing channels 23-77, from the guide and my channel lineup. I can GET them, just no guide info, etc. I will try and reboot, and also re - run guide setup. Right now, it says it cannot do that until after 2am scheduled update or something.

Install went quickly, all channels work on each card. It was the cable guys first Tivo series 3, and he was happy to finally get his hands on one. It was only an hour that he was here. Cablevision Monmouth County, NJ.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:48 PM   #137
pnrmurph

I had a similar problem. When I ran the guided setup I said no, channel 1 is not a Preview channel. After that I was mssing guide data for a bunch of channels like you. I re-ran the guided setup and said I don't know what's on channel 1, let me choose another station. It then went to whatever ShopNBC is on and I said, yes that is on that channel. After that I had all the proper guide data.
pnrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #138
rbeauch

My cable installer just left. My S3 is working, I'm recieving all channels. The install took about 45 minutes, most of which is on hold with the dispatcher. No problems! I'm so happy to see the SA8300hd go. I love my S3!
rbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #139
PatMcNJ

YES, thanks to this board things are looking up. Fellow Cablevision users, there does seem to be some sort of little glitch with the stations and the Tivo guide. I rebooted (still had the missing stations, but would allow me to start over). When it asked what was on channel 1, I said ask me about another channel. (Originally I said it was not a preview channel-- so I was looking to try something different!). Then is asked about MSNBC. Then when it asked my cable co, I said I did not know. THEN it went thru and I got all the channels, even a few I dont get (sports things). I just went and took those off my list.

So, if you are missing those stations, mess around with this and run the setup, and you will likely fix it yourself.

Everything looks fine, and I am still running my Series 2 next to it, so family can finish watching stuff on there. I also kept my HD cable box, running on component inputs for now. Everthing is on a different set of input jacks. Husband likes the cable remote, so far refuses to learn how Tivo works..... Cable guy replaced my splitter and a cable that he said was not such great quality...

Go Cablevision!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:22 PM   #140
blacknoi

I just wanted to tell my experience from today:

I've been using my S3 all week with analog only (plus watching unencrypted qam locals w/o guide data as well).

Cablevision installer came at about 830 (my appt was anywhere from 8-11).

He said he hadn't done a tivo before but talked to other installers the day before who had. He said they actually are having BETTER success with tivo's w/cablecard than with tv's installing cablecards.

I showed him the instructions for the cablecard installer. He USED them and went step by step. No problems!

The longest part was for him to call his dispatch to register the cablecards (one at a time of course). Then his dispatch had to call the cablevision main office in Long Island NY...

It was about an hour from start to finish and everything is working great.

I redid the guide setup when it asked if I wanted to, said "yes i have channel 1 as the sneak preview channel" ...based on comments made earlier in this thread (despite me not having that channel) and everything was all good.

So you don't necessairily have to reset your tivo back to factory defaults to get the cablecard to work if you follow their instructions.

The installer, John was very nice and seemed very knowledgeable.

Hope this helps some people out.
blacknoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #141
PatMcNJ

Just another note, my cable guy was EXCITED to do his first Tivo install...... I had to run out and drive a kid to school, and he said he was worried he would not get a chance to do it (he called before arriving and got no answer). Great attitude! He also had a person lined up who was knowledable to take his call to the office; who then of course had to call Long Island NY. I said, why dont they just have you call Long Island directly, and he laughed........ he seemed to agree that there was really no reason for him to be there to do the install (but I got my new splitter and wire, and he also couldf have checked my signal strength if I had a problem I guess).

Best part, he would love a Series 3 himself, but said they get the one from Cablevision free, so it's hard to turn that down.

Series 3 working perfectly, I love recording 2 shows at once...... and in high def, I'm in heaven.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #142
seredyns

My series 3 is finally working properly today. The Cablevision techs were out for the third time today. They replaced the cable from the pole to the house to get the levels up. They also needed to re-authorize the cards. Now I am getting all channels and the Tivo is working flawless. A big thumbs up to Cablevision for sticking with this and making it work. I am very happy with both the Tivo and Cablevision.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #143
Loquitur

I'm having problems with my cablecard install which was doomed to fail from the start since the tech put the cable, which was a new run, into the antenna input rather than the cable input. Then he called in the numbers one card at a time and left. I investigated the next morning since there were no channels and nothing was happening and discovered the error. In preparing for the second tech, I took the cards out and did a clear and delete. I wanted to start over but the tech said the cablecards were already married and already addressed to my gear even though the cable was in the wrong input and that it should work. Both cable cards seemed to vest in that I got the channels on both cards but it took a long time for all the channels to come in and for the information on the CP screen and diagnostic screen to fill in. Info was dribbling onto the cablecard menu screens for 8 hours and then I went to bed and it filled in by morning except that the CP Authorization never cleared. So they will be back on Tuesday for the 3rd visit and promised me they would unbind the cards from my account and start over completely from scratch. I'm also having them bring extra cards.

I do have a question. How long should it take for the CP Authorization to clear? Is it necessary that the CP Authorization clear on the first card before anything is done on the second card? I also would like to know if my cards were especially slow. A tech could never realistically have hung around long enough for all the channels to come in and the cablecard information to reflect on the menus with this first set of cards.
Susan
Loquitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #144
PatMcNJ

It should not take very long..... For me, I went thru the first few menus, until I got to the screen that had the cable cards. He stuck in the first card, and in about 3 minutes, the info was there and he called it in. He had to call the local office, who then called Long Island. Even with being on hold, the first card was in and working in about 15 minutes. We checked the stations, and at first all were not there, but within a few more minutes, they were, and we moved on to card #2. I let the guy leave once all stations were showing on each card, that took anbout an hour. I then continued with the Tivo installation. I fooled around with the Tivo on my own for awhile after that. I had the initial problem with some missing stations off the Tivo menu, but I got that working ok.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #145
Loquitur

>.......it should not take very long..... For me, I went thru the first few menus, >until I got to the screen that had the cable cards. He stuck in the first card, and >in about 3 minutes, the info was there and he called it in...I let the guy leave >once all stations were showing on each card, that took anbout an hour.

Thanks, Pat. That's very helpful. I'm from the Wappingers Falls Cablevision which is in Dutchess County and I don't think the techs that came to my house have done any Series 3 Tivo's yet. They have had the attitude that some cablecards take 24 hours to fully activate so they call in the info that pops up on the CC menu as to host ID and card # and leave shortly thereafter with instructions for me to call back if the channels don't all come in. Now I know to insist that they stay and use different cards if the CP Authorization doesn't clear within a reasonable period. I'm running out of time to get this going since my DirecTv subscription will end on October 19th.

> I then continued with the Tivo installation. I fooled around with the Tivo on >my own for awhile after that. I had the initial problem with some missing >stations off the Tivo menu, but I got that working ok.

I was fortunate that the Tivo menu showed all the channels. Actually, by the next morning, everything seemed fine with the powerkey status ready and EMM and ECM counts in except the CP Authorization was never received. So the encrypted channels would flash for a minute and then disappear. The tech said that when he comes on Tuesday he will be able to call "Jodie" who is supposed to be a cable card expert. So, I'm hoping to get it going. I must admit, though, that I'm frustrated since I already have a dual tuner HD DVR with the DirecTv 10-250, which I have never had one days trouble with. For a few more HD channels and a slightly better picture quality, I may decide its not worth the hassle if it doesn't start working after the third attempt.

Susan
Old 10-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #146
mikatc

Your experience sounds similar to mine, but I never got the encrypted channels to work. I hope you have better luck.
mikatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #147
PatMcNJ

While it might not be workable, I wish Cablevision could have one or two really knowledgeble people lined up to take the Series 3 install calls. I assume the "important" person in their procedure is the one in Long Island NY who actually binds the cable cards (Person #3)? My cableguy (Person #1) had a person in the local office (Person #2) standing by (I mean when he called, he asked for this guy by name), who in turn was knowledgible enough to get a compentent person in L.I. on the phone (Person #3). My #1 local cable guy stayed on the phone with his office (# 2) who stayed connected to # 3 in Long Island while the channels came up available. It may have even been a 3-way phone call, I am not sure. Person #3 in Long Island put #2 on hold in between card 1 and card 2; when installer #1 called for 2nd card, he again asked for #2 by name. This also seemed wise, same team did each card. My cable guy said he discussed it with #2 the day before, thats why he wanted to go thru #2. This seemed like a great idea, planning ahead like that.

I was lucky, it was the cableguys first Series 3 install. And the cable cards both worked. He did not need the one spare he brought along.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #148
seredyns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquitur
I'm having problems with my cablecard install which was doomed to fail from the start since the tech put the cable, which was a new run, into the antenna input rather than the cable input. Then he called in the numbers one card at a time and left. I investigated the next morning since there were no channels and nothing was happening and discovered the error. In preparing for the second tech, I took the cards out and did a clear and delete. I wanted to start over but the tech said the cablecards were already married and already addressed to my gear even though the cable was in the wrong input and that it should work. Both cable cards seemed to vest in that I got the channels on both cards but it took a long time for all the channels to come in and for the information on the CP screen and diagnostic screen to fill in. Info was dribbling onto the cablecard menu screens for 8 hours and then I went to bed and it filled in by morning except that the CP Authorization never cleared. So they will be back on Tuesday for the 3rd visit and promised me they would unbind the cards from my account and start over completely from scratch. I'm also having them bring extra cards.

I do have a question. How long should it take for the CP Authorization to clear? Is it necessary that the CP Authorization clear on the first card before anything is done on the second card? I also would like to know if my cards were especially slow. A tech could never realistically have hung around long enough for all the channels to come in and the cablecard information to reflect on the menus with this first set of cards.
Susan

Don't know what affects there may be on the Tivo because they used the antenna port. You may want to consider running a "clear and delete everything" before the next visit and start from scratch again.

In my case I was having a similar issue where I had all the channels except the premium ones. The picture would flash for a second and then I would get the grey cablecard screen saying not authorized. After several sets of cable cards they managed to get the cards authorized but then the next day I was back to not authorized. I believe my issue may have been low levels. They actually ended up replacing the entire run from the pole to my house. After that the tech. said the levels were perfect at the tivo end. They re-binded the cards one more time and that was it. Everything has been fine since. Stick with it because it is possible to get these things working properly. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #149
Loquitur

[quote=PatMcNJ]While it might not be workable, I wish Cablevision could have one or two really knowledgeble people lined up to take the Series 3 install calls. I assume the "important" person in their procedure is the one in Long Island NY who actually binds the cable cards (Person #3)?

I think it will get to that down the road out of necessity. It's interesting that my tech called Connecticut to bind the cards.

Susan
Old 10-16-2006, 08:17 AM   #150
Loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by seredyns
Don't know what affects there may be on the Tivo because they used the antenna port. You may want to consider running a "clear and delete everything" before the next visit and start from scratch again.

In my case I was having a similar issue where I had all the channels except the premium ones. The picture would flash for a second and then I would get the grey cablecard screen saying not authorized. After several sets of cable cards they managed to get the cards authorized but then the next day I was back to not authorized. I believe my issue may have been low levels. They actually ended up replacing the entire run from the pole to my house. After that the tech. said the levels were perfect at the tivo end. They re-binded the cards one more time and that was it. Everything has been fine since. Stick with it because it is possible to get these things working properly. Good luck.

Glad you got it going and I'm hopeful about the visit tomorrow. I will be sure they check the signal level but it shoud be good since its a new run and the pole is right outside my house. A clear and delete and rebind of the cards is the plan with the "cable card expert" Jodie on call.
Susan