TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #91
ITGuy72

Has anyone got their bill since getting 2x Cablecards installed? Curious to know if they are tacking on the premium outlet fee if all you have is one S3 with 2 Cablecards.
ITGuy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #92
rothsss

missing channels

Had 4 cable cards installed yesterday in my 2 tivos. The installer told me that not all channels would be available right away. A day later, 3 out of the 4 cable cards are missing channels, like the food channel (29) and HD HBO (750). I called Cablevision and Cablevision insists that they cannot diagnose and fix the problem remotely. I had to make a service appointment. Bummer. My wife is mad because she cannot watch the food channel.

Last edited by rothsss : 10-01-2006 at 12:03 PM. Reason: removed redundant location info
rothsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #93
ThomC

Success!!!!! (Sort Of...)

Had my install yesterday morning. I had already run guided setup and had been playing with the S3 all week, so I knew what channels were coming in without the Cablecard installed. After the 2 Hr install I had serious doubts, as I had less channels and error messages on the CP screen of the cablecard. The installer gave me the line that it might take a couple of hours for things to start working. He left but nothing improved in the next couple of hours. I called for them to come back because of this.

When the tech got back, he mentioned that there is someone at the main office named Connie who really knows her s**t, when it comes to cablecard. Unfortunately we first had to go through several other layers of not-so-smart home office types who wanted to have me call Tivo since "this is clearly a Tivo problem". Once I explained that my canceling my IO account made it their problem, the tech was able to get through to "CONNIE!!!"

Well long story short(er), after about 20 minutes of us doing nothing on site, (except staying on hold on the phone), Connie told me to restart and run guided setup. Everything now worked!!!!!!

So the moral of the story is make sure your installer calls Connie.

Other little notes:
I have the same CC#1 eject button not working problem as others have reported here. If I was not able to make the cards work with Connie, this might have been more problematic. Fortunately the tech was a nice guy and saw that this was a separate issue.

When running guided setup, for my system I had to answer that I receive CH 1 as a preview channel, (even though I don't), in order for me to get the correct channel lineup info.

Now that install is done, I could not be happier with the S3!!!

Last edited by ThomC : 10-02-2006 at 12:55 PM.
ThomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #94
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomC
Now that install is done, I could not be happier with the S3!!!
Yeah, but sounds like you are happier with Connie ...
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #95
MikePeekskill

Still in cablecard hell with Cablevision. Three cablecards later, and still getting that error message pop up on the screen (black and gray screen, white text) everytime I go to a premium channel. One card works fine and always has. The second one keeps freaking out, and three techs have come to the house. One guy said, "You may have to call to have them rebind that card." Any advice? Thanks.
MikePeekskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #96
Will68

Lightbulb Here's a fix for an S3 with Activated CableCARDs but no channels

If your Cablevision tech was able to activate/bind the cards but you only get the TiVo supplied channel banner with no picture when testing channels read this!

Here's the nightmare list of what was tried to get my S3 working this past weekend:

3 visits from Cablevision of Woodbury

Over 10 hours total of Cablevision techs onsite

8 CableCARDs tried (4 pairs) with calls by tech to office for activation/binding

The 3rd tech replaced cables and installed an outside ground (not needed but nice)

At least 12 TiVo restarts (half by pulling the plug)

3 or 4 repeats of the guided setup

3 calls to TiVo VIP support (worse that a complete waste of time, you'll see why)

OK now here's the deal,

I had setup my TiVo to watch analog cable for about a week while I waited for the Tech to come and install the cards. According to the manual this is fine and even a time saver when it comes time to install the cards (WRONG).

The Cablevision techs came one after another. Saturday rolled into Sunday as they went through the actions listed above. In my case the cards would always bind but could not tune in channels (except a couple of analogs starting with 14).

During this fiasco the Cablevision tech said other installers had more success with S3s that had never been setup for analog first, I was sceptical about this. The person at the dispatch office also told him that some other S3 problems like this where resolved by doing a full "Clear and delete everything" on the TiVo. Unfortunately I was on the other line with TiVo VIP support when he told me this and they said "there is no way that would help". Bottom line is TiVo support was dead wrong! Three wasted hours later the end solution was this:

Did a "Clear and deleted everything" on the S3 while both ACTIVATED CableCards were in the unit. Success!!!

The last process takes over an hour so the tech left to catch-up on some other calls. When he called to say he was on the way back, what would have been a 4th visit, I told him the good news.

Cablevision was great about this

TiVo was terrible!!!

TiVo gave me some bad advice and made no reasonable effort to help with the CableCARD issue saying so long as the card is recognized in the S3 their job is done and everything else is up to the cable provider.

In the end it was not a CableCARD issue it was a TiVo issue since absolutely nothing was changed with the last set of cards. It was the clearing of the TiVo that finally resolved the problem.

Shame on TiVo!!! They seem to be strong-arming the cable providers to do all the work since the FCC mandated that all CableCARD devices must be supported.

You can almost here them laughing as they pocket your $800 for the S3 plus ever increasing service fees for a device they will not even help you to get working.

In the end I do like my S3 but with this lack of support I will NOT be recommending TiVo to friends and family anymore. That's after being a loyal TiVo customer for six years (this is my 3rd TiVo).

Good luck all

Last edited by Will68 : 10-03-2006 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Will68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #97
mllacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePeekskill
Still in cablecard hell with Cablevision. Three cablecards later, and still getting that error message pop up on the screen (black and gray screen, white text) everytime I go to a premium channel. One card works fine and always has. The second one keeps freaking out, and three techs have come to the house. One guy said, "You may have to call to have them rebind that card." Any advice? Thanks.
MikePeekskill,

I had the same problem it it turned out to be a low signal problem but only on Channel 2. As per the Cable Tech, the CableCard uses channel 2 for it's datastream.
After they got my signal levels up and re-paired the cards the problem was cleared.
mllacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #98
jjsdfs

Edit

Will68,
Did you also do a guided setup after "clear and delete?

I also was up on analog, the ccs were installed and I got all 0-99 channels ( aka analog), but after doing the prescribed guided setup I could only get a few random channels ( eg 702 showtime hd!). When checking signal strength, I could see all channels in bakc of the 90+ strength bar meter, but not when in regular viewing mode.
After dismissing a lousy Tivo first tier rep, i got a supervisor who seems eager to help, but I had to resched my call to this evening.
Also, I have a line amp in due to condo's weak signal. Does that influence the Tivo channel setting process? It impaired setup on the SA 8300 from TWC, was taken out of line, then reinstalled for the Tivos???

Last edited by jjsdfs : 10-03-2006 at 08:16 AM. Reason: mispell
jjsdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #99
Will68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsdfs
Will68,
Did you also do a guided setup after "clear and delete?

I also was up on analog, the ccs were installed and I got all 0-99 channels ( aka analog), but after doing the prescribed guided setup I could only get a few random channels ( eg 702 showtime hd!). When checking signal strength, I could see all channels in bakc of the 90+ strength bar meter, but not when in regular viewing mode.
After dismissing a lousy Tivo first tier rep, i got a supervisor who seems eager to help, but I had to resched my call to this evening.
Also, I have a line amp in due to condo's weak signal. Does that influence the Tivo channel setting process? It impaired setup on the SA 8300 from TWC, was taken out of line, then reinstalled for the Tivos???
Hey JJS,

I had to do a guided setup after clearing the S3, however, it sounds like our issues are different. The only channels I was able to see where pure analog like 14 and a few others (ever the low channels are digital in Cablevision of Woodbury).

In my case there was no difference between the channels I could see in the test mode (within the CableCARD screens) or when flipping through channels with live tv.

It may still be worth trying a "clear and delete everything" then another guided setup while the activated cards are installed but your problem may be an incomplete setup of your cards or something else entirely.

Good luck.

Please post your results
Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #100
jjsdfs

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will update all after my 8PM PT call with the TIvo Supervisor.

I remain concerned about the splitter plus amplifier I have in line due to weak signals in the condo complex. Cableco tech says I may need a rewire! Ugh! Strange though, because the TW SA 8300 works fine?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #101
IceStorm

My initial installation (last Wednesday) with Cablevision went fine, with the installation taking about an hour from start to finish, including a signal level check in the basement (not at my wall outlet). The cable tech worked for Cablevision (not a contractor) and commented that my condo complex wiring was rather thin (probably RG-59 instead of RG-6). Nevertheless, the TiVo worked fine.

Four days later, early on Saturday morning, I unplugged the TiVo to move it. This meant I both removed power from the unit and the cable line, so there was absolutely nothing powering the cards. Ever since moving the TiVo, I've lost any channels that require CP Auth - BBC World, Logo, most SD HBO, SD Starz, and SD Encore. They tune, they show for about three seconds, then the Cablecard shows me the Host ID screen. I still have all my HD channels, though, as well as CN, Comedy Central, and G4, so it's not a total loss...

My suspicion is that the cards weren't bound correctly as the person on the other end of the phone with the tech kept asking for my TV model number information. I'm kicking myself now for letting the tech give her that information.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to verify the bindings because Cablevision's Tier 1 can't talk to Tier 2, and Tier 2 can't check my bindings. It took three calls to Tier 1 on Sunday to find out that Tier 2 doesn't work on the weekends, then it took Tier 2 all day Monday to call, only to repeat for a fourth time that I don't have two TVs, I have one TiVo...
IceStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #102
Will68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsdfs
Thanks for the quick reply!

I will update all after my 8PM PT call with the TIvo Supervisor.

I remain concerned about the splitter plus amplifier I have in line due to weak signals in the condo complex. Cableco tech says I may need a rewire! Ugh! Strange though, because the TW SA 8300 works fine?
Hey JJS,

Sorry I forgot to mention I also have an amplifier, mine is by Motorola, and a high quality 4 way splitter (Over 1000 MHz) which works fine for me. I also have a SA8300 which works fine off the splitter.

I did try bypassing everything and going straight into the S3 during the troubleshooting process but it didn't make a difference.

Also, all three techs tested my signal strength and found it to be perfect even with the splitter and bypassing just the booster. They replaced some cables, cable ends outside (with waterproof ends) and installed a ground but these stepped, although appreciated, didn't help.

If it's possible for you to bypass everything and go straight into the S3 it's worth a shot.

I believe if you have a weak signal coming in the cable company should rewire with no cast to you.

Will
Old 10-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #103
mad6c

Had my install yesterday, cablevision of Hauppauge, all seems to be working fine. Installer brought two CableCards, one was bad so he had to have another one dropped off. I was a little concerned because the installer said this was his first Series 3 install but in the end everything worked out.
mad6c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #104
Will68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad6c
Had my install yesterday, cablevision of Hauppauge, all seems to be working fine. Installer brought two CableCards, one was bad so he had to have another one dropped off. I was a little concerned because the installer said this was his first Series 3 install but in the end everything worked out.
Mad6c,

Was your S3 previously setup for analog cable or was it a fresh install?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #105
bremmma

I figured I'd chime in with my own experiences, maybe it can help someone...

After going through about 5 or 6 bad cards total, Card1 and Card2 both showed HostIDs. However, neither card would tune to all my channels - I could only get analog channels and a few scattered cable channels like MTV and Comedy Central, but no premiums and no network channels.

The tech tried a bunch of fixes which didn't work. We unauthorized and reauthorized the cards. Finally, when the tech called the Cablecard activation hotline the woman on the phone told us to redo the guided setup. I didnt think this would make a difference, but apparantly it has. We decided to do a Clear & Delete Everything (it took like an hour - tech went to another appt and came back) and when TiVo booted back up, after guided setup, all channels worked fine.

(Note: I had set up the TiVo using analog only for about a week before the cable cards were installed. Maybe this is why I needed the Clear & Delete before the channels would work)

My suggestions for others w/ install problems: first make sure your cable cards work (make sure you have a host ID). If not, you probably have bad cards. Second, I suggest you try and repeat the guided setup after intalling new cablecards if all the channels won't come in. That seems to have done the trick for me.

Now, I have all premium, HD, etc, etc working fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way. BTW- this install was in Morris County.

Last edited by bremmma : 10-03-2006 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention Analog
bremmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #106
hallm409

I've searched through this thread, and I see a few people from towns in Fairfield County (CT) posting about their experiences, but I can't tell which Cablevision providers they were using in some cases. My town is serviced by Cablevision of Norwalk. I think I saw one mention of them in this thread. Has anyone else had any experiences with the Series 3/CableCard install specifically with Cablevision of Norwalk? I've had a number of problems with their service in the past so I wasn't optimistic.

The only thing holding me back right now from ordering a Series 3 is that I don't have any time to deal with multiple visits or the headache of trying to get the CableCard set up working. I feel terrible about missing the baseball playoffs and the NFL season without HD, though, so if it has a decent likelihood of working I would go ahead and get one.

Thanks!
hallm409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #107
Will68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremmma
I figured I'd chime in with my own experiences, maybe it can help someone...

After going through about 5 or 6 bad cards total, Card1 and Card2 both showed HostIDs. However, neither card would tune to all my channels - I could only get analog channels and a few scattered cable channels like MTV and Comedy Central, but no premiums and no network channels.

The tech tried a bunch of fixes which didn't work. We unauthorized and reauthorized the cards. Finally, when the tech called the Cablecard activation hotline the woman on the phone told us to redo the guided setup. I didnt think this would make a difference, but apparantly it has. We decided to do a Clear & Delete Everything (it took like an hour - tech went to another appt and came back) and when TiVo booted back up, after guided setup, all channels worked fine.

(Note: I had set up the TiVo using analog only for about a week before the cable cards were installed. Maybe this is why I needed the Clear & Delete before the channels would work)

My suggestions for others w/ install problems: first make sure your cable cards work (make sure you have a host ID). If not, you probably have bad cards. Second, I suggest you try and repeat the guided setup after intalling new cablecards if all the channels won't come in. That seems to have done the trick for me.

Now, I have all premium, HD, etc, etc working fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way. BTW- this install was in Morris County.
Bremmma,

Doing the "Clear and delete everything" followed by a guided setup was the same fix for me. See my post earlier in this thread (#105):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4439579

Also, in my case I tried just doing the guided setup over a few time without clearing the TiVo and that didn't help at all.

I think you where fortunate in choosing to do the full clear and delete right away.

I suspect this will be the fix for many TiVo S3s when the CableCARDS will activate/bind but not tune in channels.

Were a set of activated cards in your TiVo when you cleared and reset it???

Will

Last edited by Will68 : 10-03-2006 at 08:40 PM. Reason: 1 more thing
Old 10-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #108
jjwolfe

Had my install on Monday (Cablevision Oakland NJ). The tech had never done a TiVo before, but he had lots of experience with Cablecards. He had 2 brand new Scientific Atlanta cards manufactured in April 2006. We put the first card in and had the info screen within 15 seconds. We then waited over 30 minutes for the Cablevision home office. After that wait we needed to be transfered to some expert in the Long Island office. This women really knew her stuff. She was very familiar with the S3 TiVo. Within 5 minutes the first card was up and running. Total time for the first card was just over 1 hour. The process was repeated for the second card which took about another 15-20 minutes. With the exception of the hold time the overall experience was good.

Everything was working fine until that evening when I stared to lose the picture on one of the tuners. Using the CP diag screen I was able to determine that is was related to Cablecard 2. I noticed there was a message about "no ECM's " under the decryption status. I restarted the unit numerous time hoping this would fix the problem, but it didn't.

I plan to call Cablevision this evening to start the repair process. I hope I'm not changing Cablecards for the next month.
jjwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #109
rothsss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwolfe
Had my install on Monday (Cablevision Oakland NJ). The tech had never done a TiVo before, but he had lots of experience with Cablecards. He had 2 brand new Scientific Atlanta cards manufactured in April 2006. We put the first card in and had the info screen within 15 seconds. We then waited over 30 minutes for the Cablevision home office. After that wait we needed to be transfered to some expert in the Long Island office. This women really knew her stuff. She was very familiar with the S3 TiVo. Within 5 minutes the first card was up and running. Total time for the first card was just over 1 hour. The process was repeated for the second card which took about another 15-20 minutes. With the exception of the hold time the overall experience was good.

Everything was working fine until that evening when I stared to lose the picture on one of the tuners. Using the CP diag screen I was able to determine that is was related to Cablecard 2. I noticed there was a message about "no ECM's " under the decryption status. I restarted the unit numerous time hoping this would fix the problem, but it didn't.

I plan to call Cablevision this evening to start the repair process. I hope I'm not changing Cablecards for the next month.
Same problem here. Scheduled a service appointment for Saturday. Cablevision is unwilling to work with me remotely.
rothsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #110
budgreen

Cablevision of NJ (Oakland) sent a guy out today with 4 cards. Spent over 2 hours of my day waiting and watching this back and forth nonsense with HQ. No card would bind and got a signed work order that stated "could not complete". About two hours later, I received a call from a supervisor to reschedule the appointment with a CableCARD "expert". This appointment is for tomorrow (another 3 hour block taken out of my day). We'll see what happens.
budgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #111
mad6c

I was using the TiVo OTA only before the install. After the tech left I re-ran the guided setup. I was very impressed it changed all the channels on my season passes to reflect the cablevision HD channels, so 5-1 changed to 705, etc. Saved me some time.
mad6c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #112
jjsdfs

Thanks for the timely post Will68. I continue to struggle. Now I am awaiting 3rd TWC San Diego visit after 4 cable cards and numerous contacts with Tivo supervisor who seems to care but is out of options. Can't get the CP screen to get by "waiting for CP Auth". We DID take the amp out of line just in case, but hopefully it can be put in now that I know you are runnig OK.
Tivo remains confident it is cards, but FOUR bad ones!? Interestingly, TWC seems to share that view. CP installer said his 2 new ones yesterday may not have the latest firmware, so he suggested new tach with "fresh" cards! What a mess!!
I have insisted the Tivo super ( 25 minute wait on the supervisor line twice now) extend my RMA time option which she agreed to.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #113
jacksonian

I had a perfect CC install experience. Everything went fine, we were done in about 20 minutes and most of that time was correcting the work order that the original CSR had put in incorrectly.

Even one of the cards was still paired to someone's Sony TV when we put it in, and we couldn't do them one at a time either because she couldn't authorize the cards until the work order was finished, and she couldn't finish the work order until both cards were in. But it all worked correctly.

Sorry you guys are having some nightmares. I'd be pulling my hair out.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #114
dbtom

I used to think that Cablevision was ripping us off with the $40 CableCard install fee. Reading all these stories, I doubt they are making money on the installs or that one would be able to do a self install. Just a thought.
dbtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #115
jacksonian

TWC only charged me $22 for the install of both cards. I think that's fair.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #116
IceStorm

Cablevision sent a tech to check my cards. He didn't come with replacement cards. He said 70 to 80 of every 100 they get don't work and that they warn people away from the cards.

He told me to call and have my cards checked. Hello? I can't. No one will give me the number to talk to Tier 2 or Tier 3...

The tech was clueless. The only problem I have is CP Auth. The cards tune every channel just fine, they just cut off channels that require CP Authorization after a few seconds.

This has to be fixed by October 14th or the TiVo goes back. I have little confidence it will be at this point. Is there any magic word I have to use in order to get to someone who can diagnose CP Auth problems?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:43 PM   #117
P2H

I got my Tivo about 10 days ago.

Cablevision of Hudson County came to my house to install my cards. I was at work and my roommate (who has no experience with Tivo), watched him install.

I got home and the Tivo appeared to work. All the channels would tune in, but I wouldn't get the banner showing channels #23-77. According to my Tivo, they simply didn't exist. I did have my "regular" channels and HDTV channels. I also had the same banner problem with 736, or ESPNHD. It simply didn't exist to the Tivo, yet the video and audio were fine. The Tivo would record those channels manually, but doesn't display shows for me to record.

I also have the "CP Authorization" problem. I had Cablevision come out to my home last Monday, and again I explained over the phone to the techs what was wrong. The cable guy was clueless, and again - I wasn't there - so they just thought I was having a video problem. He re-snipped the heads of my cable and left.

I called Cablevision again, and even used this thread as a guide. I asked if the firmware was updated on my cards. They said they would look into this and call me back. That was about 24 hours ago.

This morning I did a full reset of my Tivo before going to work (also something suggested in the thread). I will get home today and re-run the Guided Setup and see how that works.

My Tivo works fine, but every once in a while the channel cuts out and I get the black screen. In my setup I can see that the cards need to be authorized. I call Cablevision to explain this, and they are clueless.
P2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #118
norkusmark

Smile Cablevision update, miracles happen

Update:
Visit 1 : 3 hours, only 2 analog channels
Visit 2 : 3 hours, maybe 40% of digital channels

Visit 3 : An hour prior to visit 3, I do an inventory of working channels on each card.. after awhile channels become very inconsistent, they work, then they don't work, makes no sense. Then card 1 give an auth failed message and some message saying to contact my retailer... I restart Tivo, both cards reauth and all channels work perfectly... its not like its the first time that I restarted the Tivo. When the techs arrived, I ask if they had the cards reprovisioned while they were on their way and they say "no". I showed them that all channels work and thanked them for their good luck.
norkusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #119
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceStorm
This has to be fixed by October 14th or the TiVo goes back. I have little confidence it will be at this point. Is there any magic word I have to use in order to get to someone who can diagnose CP Auth problems?
Go to the cablevision yahoo group. A high ranking Cablevision excec hangs out there. Ask for help politely, and more often than not, he will personally get involved. Good luck.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #120
IceStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan
Go to the cablevision yahoo group. A high ranking Cablevision excec hangs out there. Ask for help politely, and more often than not, he will personally get involved. Good luck.
Well, they replaced both my cards and now CP Auth works. The tech refused to let me power off my Series 3 and unplug the cable line to verify that a total power loss to the cards kills off CP Auth ability, and the old cards couldn't be reused since supposedly they go into a "limbo" state. They don't want to troubleshoot the root cause, they're just interested in getting it working long enough for me to sign the paperwork.

I suspect that there's something wrong with the rev of software they're using on the CableCARDs or the head end system is screwing up.

I'll see if I can find the Cablevision Yahoo group... is it cablevision_digital?

I'm plenty polite to people who want to help me. I can't stand people who say "I can't" or "Call TiVo".

Last edited by IceStorm : 10-05-2006 at 03:56 PM.