Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #31
NJChris
Moogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto
Have mine ... configuring now ... Cablevision comes Sunday.
What did they tell you about what they are charging you?
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #32
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
$1.25/month per card and $46+ for install visit
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #33
aabo

Sixto,

Thank-you very much for that report. I have Cablevision coming later this week. this news is very encouraging. BTW, what area with Cablevision are you with?

Quote:
100% Success with Cablevision!

1:43pm Cablevision arrived

1:50pm Started Guided Setup and followed directions printed on TiVo website. I used the directions in document # 01-04-16. Simple step-by-step. The cable guy never saw this unit before so I nicely asked that we just go thru this very slowly one step at a time according to the TiVo document with no shortcuts. He was fine.

1:56pm Cablecard 1 inserted ... had to wait 1-2 minutes .. data popped up on screen ... showed Cablecard ID # and Host ID #

2pm Installer called to activiate. He needed to give them the Smartcard #, Smartcard Serial #, Cablecard ID number, and Host ID #. We now waited.

2:15pm Was activated and then simply followed the directions to test the channels. Tested regular channels and encrypted channels. All looked great.

2:18pm Cablecard 2 inserted and data on screen (he was still on the phone from the first activation)

2:25pm Activated - tested - same as above - all channels on Cablecard 2 were great

2:28pm Clicked to finish guided setup ... this takes a long while ... you wait a long time for guided setup to end while "organizing" ... need to think of a few topics for the cable guy because you wait a while.

2:42pm Done. Finished. All seems to be working.

Cable guy just left smiling ... he thought the device was mighty cool.

Now I play ... hopefully no problems ...

Been playing with this unit (without the Cablecards) since Friday and everything I just quickly played with again seems to work. Live TV button bounce from tuner-to-tuner, guide is complete, all HD looks fine.

Until later ....

aabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #34
NJChris
Moogs!

Had my 2 Cable Cards installed today (Oakland area) -

It went fine. Took a while, but it worked out just great and I think it was his first Tivo CC install in the area.

Unfortunately, my Plasma went on the fritz 2 days ago and cant use it until it's fixed.

So I'm watching on my computer monitor through s-video.

NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #35
mad6c

Appointment made for Oct 2nd, Suffolk, Long Island.
mad6c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #36
ronfl

TiVo delivered today. At work now unable to concentrate...need to go home and play!

CableVision/Optimum in Central New Jersey (Monmouth County). Called today for install, coming out Sunday ($47). As soon as I said Tivo 3, I was transferred to a Sr. agent that knew exactly what to do.

Anticipating a smooth install...I hope.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #37
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

I had a really bad experience with Cablevision of Hudson County last Saturday. I won't go into all the gory details but they spent close to three hours at my place most of the time arguing with the dispatch people about whether or not they would configure the cards at the headend, whether they "supported" the TiVo, whether the TiVo needed a "different" type of card that Cablevision didn't have and more time waiting for someone to show up with additional cards since the dispatch completely refused to configure the first two claiming they were assigned to someone else's account.

Eventually we got the first card partly working, I can tune the majority of channels, encrypted and not, but not all channels (still haven't got "CP Auth"). The second card they could not get to work at all.

I had to schedule a second install visit for this coming Saturday when a "Sr. Technician" is supposed to show up.

Very frustrating.

Jeff
nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #38
razor237

I had my cards installed today ...took around 1hr 1/2 , had some tbls with two of the cards but finaly got two working . The tech was great , he never seen or heard of the S3 . Now i have both cards in and working ok, the whole install went great

-Mike

btw cablevision monmouth NJ - Jackson area
razor237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:20 PM   #39
matman125

Good Experience.

I had my Cable Cards installed today. The whole process took about an hour and a half. Was a minor issue with my S3 not recognizing the card initially, that was fixed by taking out and reinserting the card. The tech and dispatch where both great. They had never seen nor heard of the S3. I actuallly printed out Sixto's description of his install and followed his instructions. Everything went great. The tech and dispatched both thanked me for helping them. They said it makes a big difference if the customer knows what is going on. So if you are here in this forum, you probably know what's going on, print out SIXTO's post, give it to the tech along with the tivo instructions. It will help. I am on Long Island in Suffolk County. Cablevision of woodbury.
matman125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #40
scottb4u

Morris County Cablevision installed today. Everything went perfectly. It took about 20 minutes. The installed cards were recognized immediately.

Make sure they are the latest and most updated cards--and you can get both working even before they are "zapped".

Go to a digital station after setup and it will say "station blocked" in the grey screen. That means they are working and waiting for an authorization.

Ignore any 161-X error messages and proceed with the install.

Now, if it could just tell me what station I'm on in the front panel, I would be thrilled!
scottb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #41
wbradney

Quote:
Cablevision is scheduled for today and they called yesterday to confirm. The plan is to use the directions from the TiVo web-site (reference #01-04-16).

Been using the box continually (without cablecards) since Friday with only issue being a cable signal strength issue (described in another thread).

Right now all is well in preparation for the cablecard installation. Have run guided setup a few times to practice and all seems fine.

The box is very usable as you wait for the cablecards. You run guided setup and state that you don't have cablecards. It loads the analog channel list. You then run a channel scan. For me it found 400 digital channels. I do not have an antenna, just the one cable connection. You then go into Settings/Channels and run the signal strength meter and you manually click thru every digital channel. This is the best way to find the unencrypted channels because it will only go thru the digital channels it found one-by-one. Right behind the on-screen strength meter you'll see a crisp picture of the channel if it's unencrypted. This takes 1-2 seconds so go slow (to allow it to tune the channel). If you see a nice picture then it's unencrypted, write down the funky channel number (ex: 84-2), and later add that channel to your "received channels" in the channel list.

You should then be able to watch all of your unencrypted digital Cablevision channels until your cablecards arrived.

I've been able to watch all of the networks in HD since Friday.

More details later ...
Did you get any sound when flipping through digital channels in the signal strength screen? I see just the picture, with no sound. Analog channels sound fine.

Also, how did you manually add channels to the guide?
wbradney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:20 PM   #42
wbradney

I'll add my progress with Cablevision in Morris County, NJ...

Unpacked my VIP S3 today (arrived yesterday, ordered last wednesday) and ran guided setup to check out eveything is functional.

Called Cablevision, asked for an appointment for install of 2 cablecards. CSR didn't ask what they were for and confirmed the visit fee of $46.95 and the monthly CC fee of $1.25 each. Appointment is for next Friday (could have been as early as Wednesday but Friday was better for me). On the whole the CSR was very courteous and professional.

I'll update after the install.
wbradney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #43
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradney
Did you get any sound when flipping through digital channels in the signal strength screen? I see just the picture, with no sound. Analog channels sound fine.

Also, how did you manually add channels to the guide?
You don't get any sound while using the signal strength screen. Just used it to find every digital channel that was unencrypted. You need to write down every unencrypted channel.

You then go into the channel list screen and check off every channel you want added to the guide (that you wrote down in the previous step).

You wipe this all away by running guided setup when you get the cable cards installed.

Still running great since the weekend.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:15 PM   #44
Norgoth

Sixto, thanks for the helpful posts, but where can I find the reference on tivo.com with respect to the guided setup. I searched throughout the site but could not find the article you refer to.

Thanks and regards.
Norgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #45
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb4u
Ignore any 161-X error messages and proceed with the install.
No, don't ignore any 161-X messages, just 161-4
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #46
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgoth
Sixto, thanks for the helpful posts, but where can I find the reference on tivo.com with respect to the guided setup. I searched throughout the site but could not find the article you refer to.

Thanks and regards.
The article is "Installing CableCARDs in a Series3 HD DVR"

You can go to support and search on "01-04-16"

Also here's the link:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/know.../tv010416.htm?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #47
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

For all those who've had success, did any of you note the manufacture date printed on the cablecards. Wondering if newer cards are more successful. The one's that they brought for my bad install were from April 2005.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:02 AM   #48
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein
For all those who've had success, did any of you note the manufacture date printed on the cablecards. Wondering if newer cards are more successful. The one's that they brought for my bad install were from April 2005.
Don't know. They were labeled SCM/NDS. Don't think I have the guts to actually remove either to look ... they've been rock solid.

Last edited by Sixto : 09-22-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #49
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Don't know. They were labeled SMC/NDS. Don't think I have the guts to actually remove either to look ... they've been rock solid.
That's interesting! Cablevision in Hudson County, NJ is using Scientific Atlanta Powerkey cablecards. I just assumed (I know, I know ASS) that all of Cablevsion in the NY Metro Area would use the same cards.

So, can others that have had success post what type of cards they have (if not the dates)?

Jeff
Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #50
JoN8282

i called cablevision to set up this appointment last saturday, unfortunantly there was quite a wait, and this was the earliest appointment i could get that gelled with my work schedule. I am glad i waited, i got an excellent installer. The phone operator was familiar with the series 3 tivo, and asked me to confirm the model # for her. She did not even question the need for 2 cards for this device.

my cable card installer John from Cablevision (IO) just left. This was his second s3 tivo in as many days, he was extremely knowledgable about cable card technology, tivo, his companys policys, pricing, technical support, and was overall a great guy to talk to.

He immidiatly picked up the cable card installer instructions i left on the box, looked at it, and noted that he read and followed these exactly yesterday and could do it from memory. He then perfectly executed the installation. He did insert both cards before calling, but upon calling he requested that the first card be activated first, and clearly stated to the operator that this was very important.

It then took about 20 minutes for the entire thing to go through, while waiting, we discussed lots of things, including the fact that IO in my area is 100% digital on all channels including those under 100, and i will recieve the digital version via my cable cards no problem. He also noted that only the ethnic channels were using switched video, so i should have really no problem as far as that goes. He noticed this forum up on the computer, and asked how his company and the competition were doing, i let him know the basic jist of these posts, and he was pleased that so far there havent been any real issues noted with cablevision. I did mention the problem some people are having with having to "re-hit" the cards etc, he informed me that it is probably because the card installer did not wait to make sure "CP [copy protection] authorization was complete" - this took longer then anything else on my setup. All channels including prem. channels and hd were coming in clear for a solid 15 minutes before the CP auth was granted. He said if it didnt get granted, the cards would turn off next time they contacted home. I suspect this is the problem many people have been having.

once both cards recived this authorization, he took my sci atlanta dvr and the generous tip i provided, shook my hand and left.

EXCELLENT MARKS FOR CABLEVISION.

btw - as far as billing goes... $45 to install cards / $1.25 per month per card for card rental. I am in no mood to argue with that at this point. Cablevision office in Oakland, NJ. scientific atlanta cable cards - didnt get a good look at them, and dont plan on popping them out to look any further.
JoN8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #51
brundlefly76

Greenwich, CT exoerience

Picked up the last Series 3 at Norwalk Best Buy, hidden on an upper shelf with no display.

Salesperson said they had just got them in yesterday.

BB website had indicated the store was out of stock but I checked in person anyway, lucked out.

Called Cablevision sales dept, and when I told them I wanted to schedule a Cablecard install, they knew exactly what I was talking about and routed me immediately to another person who scheduled it for 3 business days from today - outstanding.

We'll see what happens when they actually show up.
brundlefly76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #52
rothsss

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundlefly76
Picked up the last Series 3 at Norwalk Best Buy, hidden on an upper shelf with no display.

Salesperson said they had just got them in yesterday.

BB website had indicated the store was out of stock but I checked in person anyway, lucked out.

Called Cablevision sales dept, and when I told them I wanted to schedule a Cablecard install, they knew exactly what I was talking about and routed me immediately to another person who scheduled it for 3 business days from today - outstanding.

We'll see what happens when they actually show up.
I hope Cablevision will send me the same guy that installs your Series 3. I am in Greenwich too. Install scheduled for Sep 30th.
rothsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #53
Norgoth

JoN8282,

You should edit your post about the tip. These guys are not allowed to take tips and could get fired if someone from Cablevision can figure out who the installer is.
Norgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #54
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgoth
JoN8282,

You should edit your post about the tip. These guys are not allowed to take tips and could get fired if someone from Cablevision can figure out who the installer is.
Really??? I've never heard that ... is this a new policy?

I recall tipping the two installers who first set up my cable modem in the fall of 2000 - I was one of the first in my area to have it installed and they were here for quite a while, ran a new line, etc.

I thought they deserved a tip, so I gave them one.
drew2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:04 PM   #55
ginolee

my cablecard install

My installer came today a couple hours ago to install my two cable cards.

This was his first Tivo Series 3 install, so I was a little nervous.

He inserted the first cable card into slot #1. We waited about 5 minutes but nothing happened.

He then inserted the 2nd cable card into slot #2. After about 2 minutes, the MMI screen came. So then it occurred to us that the first cable might be defective.

He had brought a spare cable card, so he inserted that one into slot #1.

He called up the provisioning department and gave them both sets of cable card information to provision. cable card #2 activated after a couple minutes and I was able to verify a couple channels, including a regular HD channel and an encrypted HD channel (HBO).

We were wondering why cable card #1 wasn't activating and then he realized that he had given the card information from the initial defective card.

He called up provisioning and gave them the correct card information, but it still wasn't working. So I took out the working cable card in slot #2 (since it was hot-swappable) to make sure that wasn't interfering with activation. I think the activation then worked for the card in slot #1. We were able to check 3-4 representative channels including an encrypted channel.

When I put card #2 back in its slot, it wasn't working, so I restarted my Tivo.

I think it took about 5-10 minutes for both cards to "boot up" properly. Then both cards were working.

One thing that helped activation was checking the 'CableCard CP Screen' occasionally while waiting for activation.
Two entries seem most relevant:
Auth Status: CP Auth Received
PowerKey status: Ready

I think CP stands for 'copy protection'.

If Auth Status shows something 'not authorized' then the card hasn't been activated.

I think my software engineering background helped to assist my installer with the process. In particular I made two suggestions that were helpful:
1) once 1 card was activated, I took out that one activated card.
2) Once both cards were activated separately, but both together weren't working, I restarted my Tivo.

I think the entire process took about 1hr 15 minutes. I would guess perfect execution and verification would have probably taken about 30-45 minutes.

Hope this helps. So far, I *love* my new TiVo ! .
ginolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #56
aabo

Ginolee,

I'm not sure that is the case. I also had my install today and it appears that a lot of the scientific atlanta cards that cablevision uses have outdated firmware. It took about 20 minutes for each of my cards to be recognized while they downloaded new firmware. The tivo does not tell you the cards are doing this unless you go out of the CC decoder screen. I learned this the hard way. After about 20 minutes of firmware downloading the cards where able to be activated without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginolee
My installer came today a couple hours ago to install my two cable cards.

This was his first Tivo Series 3 install, so I was a little nervous.

He inserted the first cable card into slot #1. We waited about 5 minutes but nothing happened.

He then inserted the 2nd cable card into slot #2. After about 2 minutes, the MMI screen came. So then it occurred to us that the first cable might be defective.

He had brought a spare cable card, so he inserted that one into slot #1.

He called up the provisioning department and gave them both sets of cable card information to provision. cable card #2 activated after a couple minutes and I was able to verify a couple channels, including a regular HD channel and an encrypted HD channel (HBO).

We were wondering why cable card #1 wasn't activating and then he realized that he had given the card information from the initial defective card.

He called up provisioning and gave them the correct card information, but it still wasn't working. So I took out the working cable card in slot #2 (since it was hot-swappable) to make sure that wasn't interfering with activation. I think the activation then worked for the card in slot #1. We were able to check 3-4 representative channels including an encrypted channel.

When I put card #2 back in its slot, it wasn't working, so I restarted my Tivo.

I think it took about 5-10 minutes for both cards to "boot up" properly. Then both cards were working.

One thing that helped activation was checking the 'CableCard CP Screen' occasionally while waiting for activation.
Two entries seem most relevant:
Auth Status: CP Auth Received
PowerKey status: Ready

I think CP stands for 'copy protection'.

If Auth Status shows something 'not authorized' then the card hasn't been activated.

I think my software engineering background helped to assist my installer with the process. In particular I made two suggestions that were helpful:
1) once 1 card was activated, I took out that one activated card.
2) Once both cards were activated separately, but both together weren't working, I restarted my Tivo.

I think the entire process took about 1hr 15 minutes. I would guess perfect execution and verification would have probably taken about 30-45 minutes.

Hope this helps. So far, I *love* my new TiVo ! .

aabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #57
jmkirk

Fairfield County, CT

I had Cablevision here yesterday for my install. Unfortuantely I was at work, and left the wife here for the install. All seemed fine when I arrived home, although after surfing I found both cards cannot pick up the encrypted (HBO, etc) channels.

Based on what I read earlier in the thread, I checked the CC menu for CP and both are waiting for CP auth.

Cards are both Scientific Atlanta PowerKey

Customer support was not able to do anything remotely. Truck roll #2 on Monday - yeah.

Will definitely have a sit-down with my wife to go over channel checking procedures.

At least I was able to watch Ohio State in HD.

Last edited by jmkirk : 09-23-2006 at 08:10 PM.
jmkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:49 AM   #58
krstone

sports packages?

With the Tivo Series 3 and Cablecards, is there any problem getting the sports packages (such as MLB Extra Innings)?
thanks
Ken
krstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #59
keng

All's well! Cable guy just left. He actually went to the Tivo website before he came - to learn how to install the cards since it was his first. It was amusing to listen to his conversation with the person who was activating the card. "You're putting into a what?"
keng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 AM   #60
roylevitt

just had two cards installed in my series 3... it was a breeze. Works perfect and not a single problem!!!

Thank Norwalk Cablevision.
roylevitt is offline   Reply With Quote