TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
jscozz

Am I stuck forever?

I have three Tivos (S3, HD, HD) all with LifeTime... been a subscriber since generation 1 Tivos. My problem is that I am on OLD hardware and would love to upgrade to current hardware and features... Tivo's problem is that they make no money from me at all. Will there every be a Tivo offer that allows me to get on the latest hardware and features, and helps Tivo generate some revenue form me, short of me spending $800 / unit to get an XL4 with lifetime, which would be crazy given the other low.no cost options out there today. This just seems like a no brainer for there to be some middle ground offer... likely or never?
jscozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Well, you should consider selling your old units- since they have lifetime they should pay for the unit you are looking at with the discounted MSD lifetime.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Chris Gerhard

What low or no cost options are available? I have never seen anything worth considering so I continue to use TiVoHD with no plans to change. If I was going to upgrade as suggested, I would just sell what I have and pay the price necessary to do so, pretty reasonable in my opinion.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
fiereo1988gt

Tivo Offer

Have you called Tivo and asked them for an offer. My series three HDMI port quite yesterday. I called TIVO and asked my options since I also have lifetime. They would upgrade me to a new box for $150 and I think they said a new lifetime on that box for $200. Now I am not positive and didn't write it down as I didn't want to upgrade. But they are willing to make an offer so call them. Now anyone know how to fix the HDMI problem??
fiereo1988gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
poppagene
User

I sold my S3 and HD lifetime boxes on ebay and used the proceeds to subsidize the purchase of premiere and premiere xl boxes with lifetime (all either used or refurbished).
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Yup, like others here I sold two S3HD boxes to subsidize a 4-tuner box.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiereo1988gt View Post
Have you called Tivo and asked them for an offer. My series three HDMI port quite yesterday. I called TIVO and asked my options since I also have lifetime. They would upgrade me to a new box for $150 and I think they said a new lifetime on that box for $200. Now I am not positive and didn't write it down as I didn't want to upgrade. But they are willing to make an offer so call them. Now anyone know how to fix the HDMI problem??
Was that the Premiere or Premiere 4? If it was the Premiere (2 tuners) $150 IS the List price. However, if they will give me Lifetime for $200, then the list ($249.99) for the Premiere 4 + $200 for lifetime IS a deal. I think I will see what I can do on Monday. Why Monday? Because it has been my experience that weekend reps are not authorized to do much.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
jscozz

Thanks. I will give them a call. My HDMI port has been dead for years.

As for other options, I use windows media center and a HD Homerun with a cable card. Works great for me in my office and no monthly fee. Although TiVo is easier far family TVs.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscozz View Post
Thanks. I will give them a call. My HDMI port has been dead for years.

As for other options, I use windows media center and a HD Homerun with a cable card. Works great for me in my office and no monthly fee. Although TiVo is easier far family TVs.
A Windows PC Media Center is not a low or no cost option. I agree it is a good option, second best I have seen but I like TiVo much better.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
jscozz

Well, technically not "no cost" but if you have a PC already it is a low cost add on with no recurring charges.