I have an S2 with lifetime still and wondering if the S3 is worth it with the VIP transfer option. Thought I would get some opinions...
I have a home grown media center that is able to record 3 HD feeds at the same time. 2 of them have "guide" functionality so I can do season passes, one is only like a digital vcr. All the recording is done via unencrypted QAM. (I've had this for over 2 years, so it's given me what Tivo hasn't been able to give me till now....)
Pros - Home Grown
- I have about 1.5 TB of storage to record to (500G SATA, 250G SATA, 2*300G EIDE)
- I can upgrade as needed for whatever good price I find... just bought a 400G SATA drive for $80
- I can do multi-room viewing, because it's connected via the network and I can play these files on any computer with out any problems so far
- My xbox360 and plasma have media extender capabilities that can connect to this home grown machine
- I can transfer to my laptop for when I travel already
- no DRM issues so far that I can tell
- already have online capabilities and recording because it's a PC.
- I think I can do all those other features internet features that the Tivo might be doing in the future, because it's a PC.
- Not a Tivo, need to manage 3 interfaces one for each tuner, but once it's setup it pretty much requires no attention
- No cablecard, so I can't record encrypted channels - ESPNHD, INHD, DiscoverHD - I mostly recoard in the clear broadcast anyways....
- Not THX (is that really important?) I do 7.1 to my receiver already and my receiver isn't THX.
- It's running on Windows and it's a PC, so in theory it should be more problematic, but I also haven't had any issues with it or my non-hd media center box
Any other Pro's and cons?
Anyone else been recording HD already via one of these home grown options like Sage/MCE/etc... are you interested in going to the S3?
Is this VIP transfer deal worth it? For $1000, I'm sure I can build another kick*ss MCE box.
I'm glad Tivo finally came out with a solutions, but I wanted something years ago.... the question now for me is whether or not what I have is good enough or is Tivo worth spending another $1000 to transfer my lifetime...