TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #61
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Question: Does the Series3 support the use of the "up arrow" on the IR remote to change the output video resolution (format)? This is the way that the HR10-250 works, and in fact there is a setup menu with a list of formats and you can "check mark" which formats are to be accessible via the "up arrow" button.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #62
bdraw

No, you can only select one resolution now.

But there are more resolution options including pass-through, so it is sort of an upgrade from the older up-arrow feature.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #63
majortom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
Welcome to the Shill.... I mean Reviewer's club of the AVSForum family....
To join the Shill Club, he would have to be a shill and apologist, not just a reviewer. While true of some, certainly does not seem true of him.

/carmi
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #64
ctakim
ctakim

Thanks for this great detailed review, Megazone!
ctakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #65
rrman

Megazone - great review!!

Is the hardware to support the eSATA port already in the shipping S3 TiVos? In other words, if and when eSATA will be supported, is it just a matter of the TiVo firmware/software being updated?
rrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #66
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrman

Is the hardware to support the eSATA port already in the shipping S3 TiVos? In other words, if and when eSATA will be supported, is it just a matter of the TiVo firmware/software being updated?
Yes, all that will be required is TiVo enabling it on their end to our boxes.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #67
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Question: I've never had a dual tuner unit before. If I turn on the TV and it's recording (and showing) one show, and I hit channel up or somehow change the channel, will it know the second tuner is free and switch over to it automatically (continuing to recrod on the other tuner)?

And is there a way to switch (while watching live) from one tuner to the other?
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #68
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Three - Just setup it up yesterday, so I may not know everything.

But... switching between tuners is easy. Go to Live TV and bring up the info banner. One of the logos to the right will show (when you cursor down to it) what is on the other tuner. Press Select and you will switch to that tuner.

As for Channel Up/Down, I figure that it would somthing similar to what the current units do (Warning you that you are currently recording) with the added option of going to the other tuner (unless it is recording as well).
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #69
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

*sigh*....yesterday......

Trying to keep a good attitude. I'm a VIP, after all, I should feel, well, important, right?

*sigh*

But I sit here with no S3 after ordering it last Tuesday.

Yeah....I'm a VIP all right. Rhymes with DIP.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #70
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
Question: I've never had a dual tuner unit before. If I turn on the TV and it's recording (and showing) one show, and I hit channel up or somehow change the channel, will it know the second tuner is free and switch over to it automatically (continuing to recrod on the other tuner)?

Yes and yes. (Hitting Live TV while watching Live TV will switch to the other tuner.)
Old 09-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #71
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Yes and yes. (Hitting Live TV while watching Live TV will switch to the other tuner.)
Not for me. When I hit "Live TV" while watching live TV, it gives me the program guide.

And while I'm at it, what in the world does the "input" button on the remote do? It does nothing on my S3.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #72
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy
Not for me. When I hit "Live TV" while watching live TV, it gives me the program guide.
Try hitting the TiVo button, then see what the LiveTV does. There's a weird problem I never understood where the TiVo is trying to work out which remote you have. Until it sees the TiVo button it thinks you have the old one, where the LiveTV button is the guide button instead. This has been a common question with the HD DTiVo since that was released. I use that as a reboot detector.
Quote:
And while I'm at it, what in the world does the "input" button on the remote do? It does nothing on my S3.
I'd guess that's for the TV, to switch it to the right input to see the TiVo.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #73
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

The input button on mine switches between the TV's various inputs (DVI, DVD, Video 1, 2, 3, etc.) It did that automatically when I programmed my remote for my TV.

TiVo Premiere
TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
TiVo HD DVR
Pioneer DVR-810H
Provider: Verizon FIOS
TiVotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:51 AM   #74
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt
Can I output to a DVD recorder to make a copy of a recorded program or is there some way it blocks it?
As on all TiVos, Macrovision is supported. So if a program is protected and the recorder obeys Macrovision, then it may not record it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 AM   #75
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
To join the Shill Club, he would have to be a shill and apologist, not just a reviewer. While true of some, certainly does not seem true of him.
Thanks - though not everyone would agree with you. I have been called both a shill and an apologist for TiVo. :-)

But then, I've been online since 1989, and have been called many, many things. :-)

|
|
|
Old 09-20-2006, 04:55 AM   #76
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude
How fast is the matrix-style guide? On my Series 2, it scrolls and redraws soooo slowly.
You mean the Grid Style guide? It isn't instant, but I thought it was acceptable. Note that I pretty much never use LiveTV though, so someone who used it constantly might have a different opinion.

|
|
|
Old 09-20-2006, 04:56 AM   #77
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctakim
Thanks for this great detailed review, Megazone!
You're welcome. :-)

|
|
|
Old 09-20-2006, 04:56 AM   #78
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrman

Thanks. And yes, software update.

|
|
|
Old 09-20-2006, 04:58 AM   #79
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar

Yes. If you're on the tuner that is recording and the other is free, and you hit Chan Up/Down it will jump to the other tuner automagically. If both are busy then it will ask if you want to stop the current recording, etc.

Pressing the LiveTV button toggles the tuner.

|
|
|
Old 09-20-2006, 04:59 AM   #80
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy
That's to control the TV's input.

|
|
|
Old 09-23-2006, 12:01 AM   #81
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Review updated to v1.2

|
|
|
Old 09-23-2006, 12:12 PM   #82
MichaelK

changelog?

:-)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:39 PM   #83
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I marked the edit in the review - I just corrected the info about M-Card.

|
|
|
Old 10-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #84
jsshattuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
Definitely not 8'. Around 3' I think, maybe a little longer than that.
Since we are on the topic of HDMI, does TiVo implement HDCP (copy protection)? I currently have a Sony KV-30XBR910 that doesn't have an HDMI input, but does have a DVI port with HDCP. I use a HDMI-DVI converter, but it doesn't recognize the TV's HDCP support, and my SA-8300HD DVR will NOT operate.

Just curious since I have never seen a huge advantage of HDMI/DVI over component video.

Just curious.

Steve

jsshattuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:33 AM   #85
trafeng

Thanks for the great review! It was one of the reasons I bought an S3 box.
After using the S3 for several weeks, I just re read your reviews and FAQ. The second read was helpful and I learned more about the S3. Could you review the front panel informatipon/operation? Personally I find it almost useless as the clock is too small as are the names of shows being recorded.