TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
vstone

Is the menu in HD?

The HR10-250's menu is in SD. Did they fix that for the s3?
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

The S3 menu is 720p

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

And the video backgrounds (loopsets) are 16:9 (no more squashed logo/UI).

And the UI has been freshened up - everything is glossy and pretty now. Icons, menu bars, grid, etc.

Pony
Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
tunnelengineer

uh, the cnet review shows some pretty crappy looking oval buttons (that should be round) and text that looks SD. Pony, can you clarify this?
tunnelengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Havanese_boy

PC Mag review says Menus are NOT HD...and they where disappointed.

Read the review here http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000530

A day without a dog is a wasted day
S3 with Lifetime Sub.
Havanese_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havanese_boy
PC Mag review says Menus are NOT HD...and they where disappointed.
I was surprised to read that and it does not jive with my experience. Menus and fonts look fine, and the new program info bar and timeline looks SHARP - very nice with shading and whatnot.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Havanese_boy

@davezatz

If that is true, shame on PC Mag as they really point that out as a "con" for the series 3. This review is getting a lot of press on the net so if it's not accurate it could hurt TiVo as a lot of ppl take PC Mag (along with CNet) as gospel.

A day without a dog is a wasted day
S3 with Lifetime Sub.
Havanese_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
I was surprised to read that and it does not jive with my experience. Menus and fonts look fine, and the new program info bar and timeline looks SHARP - very nice with shading and whatnot.
The video actually shows the bad text and stretched icons. So, unless they have a different software version or you aren't using on a widescreen hdtv display, I can't imagine the difference.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
davezatz
Funkadelic

My display is 16:9 connected via HDMI. I'd be interested in how he connected it to his set and what video settings he specified. It's entirely possible he told the TiVo he was running 4:3 and let his TV stretch it to 16:9. Looks like megazone is also seeing decent results.
http://www.tivolovers.com/Photos/Series3-Review/
Old 09-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Yeah, I was just thinking that. If they set the TiVo to 4:3 output and used a 16:9 display - that'd stretch everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #11
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
Yeah, I was just thinking that. If they set the TiVo to 4:3 output and used a 16:9 display - that'd stretch everything.
The weird thing was the text didn't look stretched though. It almost looked like it was squeezed together (the exact opposite of the icons).
Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

Upon learning that the TiVo menus/graphics are 720p, it didn't take me long to conclude that the PCMag idiots probably had their output/display selections mismatched.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #13
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz
Upon learning that the TiVo menus/graphics are 720p, it didn't take me long to conclude that the PCMag idiots probably had their output/display selections mismatched.
Considering the guy doing the demo is a HDTV expert (Robert Heron), I would be hesitant to call him an idiot. Maybe he didn't setup the demo which is likely. But, before you call people idiots, you might want to take a step back. If this is a common user mistake, you will be seeing these complaints on this forum in a few days. However, I have read/seen many reviews by Heron, and he is very knowledgable about all forms of HDTV technology.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:17 AM   #14
lordrichter

The menus are 720p, but my question is whether they can be something else or are they fixed at 720p. My HDTV is older and does not display 720p on any inputs.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:47 AM   #15
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrichter
The menus are 720p, but my question is whether they can be something else or are they fixed at 720p. My HDTV is older and does not display 720p on any inputs.
The S3 has a variety of output modes including 1080i hybrid and 1080i fixed which will take care of you. My CRT doesn't accept 720p either, and the 1080i solution looks great.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:11 AM   #16
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
That's what they default to when using 'Native' output. If you set it to something other than Native, then they'll be scaled to that resolution.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
And the video backgrounds (loopsets) are 16:9 (no more squashed logo/UI).

And the UI has been freshened up - everything is glossy and pretty now. Icons, menu bars, grid, etc.

Pony

You may want to give PC Magazine a call. They were pretty harsh about icons and fonts and claimed they were just "lifted" from the Series 2 software.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #18
cotton168

The photos that megazone provided were what made me REALLY want to get an S3. They actually looked great. I cannot believe they said that that the icons and fonts were "lifted" from the S2 software because they sure didn't look like it to me!
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #19
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
I cannot believe they said that that the icons and fonts were "lifted" from the S2 software because they sure didn't look like it to me!
They looked like it on the PC Magazine setup. The issue is they seemed to be setup differently for some reason.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:40 AM   #20
Darthnice
umop ap!sdn

Even if the menus are in HD, there are still some spots that are missing a little of their sheen.

Take a look at a tall and thin TiVo Guy here:
http://www.tivolovers.com.nyud.net:8...st-Setup-7.jpg

Compare that to normal TiVo Guy here:
http://www.tivolovers.com.nyud.net:8...nd-Setup-3.jpg

But then notice in that second shot, the check-mark is an oval, not a circle.

Regardless, can't wait for mine to show up
Darthnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #21
Mikkel_Knight

Quote:
Hey - you've got a PM...
Mikkel_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #22
XBoogie

I watched the video and PCMag had their display set at 1080i fixed. That would explain why the menus and icons appeared stretched as they are natively output at 720p. The Tivo S3 is downconverting the 720p signal to 1080i.
XBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #23
reh523

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
Considering the guy doing the demo is a HDTV expert (Robert Heron), I would be hesitant to call him an idiot. Maybe he didn't setup the demo which is likely. But, before you call people idiots, you might want to take a step back. If this is a common user mistake, you will be seeing these complaints on this forum in a few days. However, I have read/seen many reviews by Heron, and he is very knowledgable about all forms of HDTV technology.
I was about to say the same thing. I have read his stuff before. About the only frustrating thing about this forum is the one sided pro Tivo is right everyone (thing) is wrong.
reh523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reh523
I was about to say the same thing. I have read his stuff before. About the only frustrating thing about this forum is the one sided pro Tivo is right everyone (thing) is wrong.
Yeah, all anybody ever does around here is sing the praises of TiVo. Why just this week, we've all been talking about how great TiVo has handled the S3 roll-out! Just thread after thread about how happy we all are with TiVo...
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #25
quango

My experience is that the menu is 720p (which is nice, since it matches my HDTV's native resolution), and the aspect ratio of the graphics is right - but the text is stretched wide; same deal with the closed captioning.
quango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:27 AM   #26
Mikkel_Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Yeah, all anybody ever does around here is sing the praises of TiVo. Why just this week, we've all been talking about how great TiVo has handled the S3 roll-out! Just thread after thread about how happy we all are with TiVo...
You still have a PM... a reply would be great thanks...
Mikkel_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:47 AM   #27
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel_Knight
You still have a PM... a reply would be great thanks...
Huh?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #28
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthnice
Even if the menus are in HD, there are still some spots that are missing a little of their sheen.

Take a look at a tall and thin TiVo Guy here:
http://www.tivolovers.com.nyud.net:8...st-Setup-7.jpg

Compare that to normal TiVo Guy here:
http://www.tivolovers.com.nyud.net:8...nd-Setup-3.jpg

But then notice in that second shot, the check-mark is an oval, not a circle.

Regardless, can't wait for mine to show up
The reason those two pictures are different is that they are taken on two different TVs - the first one is on a 4:3 TV, the second one on a 16:9

But it seems clear that the only thing that's done is give the TiVo guy a 16:9 make-over - the buttons are all ovals.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #29
Kenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
I've only had my S3 hooked up for a day or so, but my experience matches that of the PC Magazine reviewer.

I have a Mitsubishi 1080p HDTV. Originally, my S3 was configured to use 480p, and at that resolution, the TiVo menus looked just like their S2 counterparts (i.e., they had the correct aspect ratio). However, since 480p is for wimps (grin), I configured the S3 to use 720p resolution, and when I did so, the TiVo menus stretched horizontally, just like the PC Magazine review said, and there was no adjustment I could perform on the TV to fix this. I tried using the S3's "native" resolution, but the TiVo menus remained stretched. So, I would have to conclude that the TiVo menus are indeed set up for 480p (i.e., non-HD) resolution.

I would love to be able to see the TiVo menus in their correct aspect ratio but still have the S3 feed my TV an HD (i.e., 720p or 1080i) resolution. I'll try playing around with the video settings some more.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #30
razi

Despite what peoplke have been saying in this (and other) threads, the S3 menus are not HD.

In fact, the menus look *much* better viewed at 480p with my TV doing the scaling to 720p (squeezed to 4x3), than they do if I set the S3 output to 720p.

that being said, some of the individual items within the GUI, such as the TiVo icon etc are corrected for 16x9 if you set your output to 16x9. Nevertheless, it's a strange mix of high res/low res and 4x3/16x9 graphics that make up the S3 GUI.

The only way that *all* screen objects render correctly is if you set your output to 480i/480p and view in 4x3...
razi is offline   Reply With Quote