TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #1951
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga View Post
I've gotten the usual CableCARD runaround from Cox. They tried to charge me over $7 for a card, $1.99 for the card and the rest as an access fee. Even after complaining to Clark County (Las Vegas), some Cox CSR liaison that contacted me insisted cards were $7+. Finally, this CSR found someone up the foodchain who agreed that cards are only $1.99. Beyond that, this rep also acted like she was doing me a favor lowering the install from around $60 for two cards to $25. I now found this press release stating free Cox CableCARD / TiVo installations, http://pr.tivo.com/easyir/customrel....jsp=custom_150 . Has anyone had any luck pushing for a free install?
This is one of the reason I have held off purchasing the Tivo Premiere. I want to see how Cox and TiVo will implement this. From the way TiVo is trying to unload the current TiVo Premiere boxes make me think that a new “Premiere” box is coming out next year to support this.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #1952
lasergecko

Quote:
Has anyone had any luck pushing for a free install?
Sure as hell did! Woo hoo!

I didn't get it "free", but I just got a credit issued to my account by telling the CSR about the press release and giving the contact info in it. I'd go about it that way. Get billed, then get credit for it.

Thanks for the pointer!
lasergecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #1953
GregOhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkja35 View Post
Just got off the phone with Cox in Cleveland. They just told me that every time the power goes out, they would have to send someone out to re-activate the CableCARDs. ... Is it worth the trouble - once everything is up and running, are there a lot of issues?
I am in Cleveland, with both TivoHD and Premier using cablecards. The cards are a PITA to get setup, but it is one-time. They haven't touched the ones in my HD for 3 years. That power failure story is rich. I wonder if they pay bonuses for talking customers into getting Cox DVR's instead.

I gave the Cox HD DVR (Scientific Atlanta) a shot. The interface was fine, but it was unreliable. I hardly ever got successful recordings. That was 3 years ago.

I greatly prefer the TIVO. The cablecard setup is a minor one-time hassle.
GregOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #1954
TheRatPatrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
This is one of the reason I have held off purchasing the Tivo Premiere. I want to see how Cox and TiVo will implement this. From the way TiVo is trying to unload the current TiVo Premiere boxes make me think that a new “Premiere” box is coming out next year to support this.
So you think thats why they're $99.00 right now?
TheRatPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #1955
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol View Post
So you think thats why they're $99.00 right now?
Yes, I think people who are being serve by Cox should just save their money and wait and see if Cox support VOD for the Premier box. I really wish Cox and TiVo had sign an agreement to provide the Premier box like RCN, Suddenlink and now Charter. http://www.thestreet.com/story/10983...rter-deal.html

HDTiVo
Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #1956
thebarber

cox vod and tivo

I recently read that tivo will be able to use the cox vod and it should be available by the end of the first quarter or during the second quarter of this year. I currently have a tivo premiere HD sitting in the box at home because I can't justify the extra money vs. my cox dvr. Can anyone convince me if I should or shouldn't make the switch before I return it? I can't complain about the cox dvr, only about the company itself. I also think tivo will be coming out with a new box that will have the wireless card built in, I can't believe it's not already in their like it is in bd players, etc....
thebarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #1957
djwilso

Most likely, the Premiere that Cox provides will be able to use their VOD but will also disable using all of the other types of VOD such as Netflix and Amazon VOD.

I could be wrong, of course, but I would not put it past them.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #1958
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
Most likely, the Premiere that Cox provides will be able to use their VOD but will also disable using all of the other types of VOD such as Netflix and Amazon VOD.

that would be rather unsporting
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #1959
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post

As I understand the deal is that YOU buy a TiVo Premiere box from whoever you want, Cox will provide VOD for the TiVo Premiere. Cox has also agree to advertise and promote the service. I just want to see this happen before I even spend money on a TiVo Premiere.

HDTiVo
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #1960
Testpattern
Testpattern

On another area of interest concerning Cox and S3 cable cards, have any of you experienced a re-install on a set of functioning cards.

I'm replacing my dead S3 and Tivo says to simply install my cable cards from my old unit to the new one. They said I "may" have to call my provider for them to pair something on their end but that's about it.

Excuse me, but I still recall the pain I went though initially with Cox to get these two cards installed. It took days and multiple in home visits to get them to function.

Is it really this easy when exchanging a unit? Anyone know?
Testpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #1961
calstudios

Cox still not allowing self install of cable cards. I called Cox Santa Barbara today and they said CC installs require a $55 truck roll. I mentioned the FCC regulations and the guy was clueless. They're probably going to wait the full nine months to extort as much money as they can out of customers.
calstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #1962
LoREvanescence

Quote:
I've gotten the usual CableCARD runaround from Cox. They tried to charge me over $7 for a card, $1.99 for the card and the rest as an access fee. Even after complaining to Clark County (Las Vegas), some Cox CSR liaison that contacted me insisted cards were $7+. Finally, this CSR found someone up the foodchain who agreed that cards are only $1.99. Beyond that, this rep also acted like she was doing me a favor lowering the install from around $60 for two cards to $25. I now found this press release stating free Cox CableCARD / TiVo installations, http://pr.tivo.com/easyir/customrel....jsp=custom_150 . Has anyone had any luck pushing for a free install?
I just had my premiere set up with Cox and a M-Card a week and a half ago.

I was not able to get the cable card for free, but I got a $25 credit.

So my bill looks like this
Installation - CableCARD $50.00
Regulated Installation $-25.00

So far I'm impressed. To my amazement there is absolutely no copy protection on any channel I receive!

There appears to be no SDV, I don't have a tuning adapter and I get every single channel on the lineup card that I receive with my package, 200 or so channels plus music choice.

Only disappointment I have with cox is that is what ever compression they use on some hd channels, the picture looks all grainy and colors are dull, but no blocking. I'm not really a fan of that.

The install went smoothly. After the cable card was put in all encrypted channels said not authorized, but after one call to reprogram the box they came in and have worked perfectly since.

So what is going on with this cox ondemand. I have not followed it / don't know anything about it since this is my first time with cox. That news article linked in the past page seems to suggest cox will sell retail boxes with ondemand access.

Does that mean a special cox box, or would that mean they would just sell tivo premieres and regular retail premieres would have access to it?
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #1963
Testpattern
Testpattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
So what is going on with this cox ondemand. I have not followed it / don't know anything about it since this is my first time with cox. That news article linked in the past page seems to suggest cox will sell retail boxes with ondemand access.

Does that mean a special cox box, or would that mean they would just sell tivo premieres and regular retail premieres would have access to it?
Supposedly, Cox and TiVo have a deal worked out where the Premiere will support Cox VOD somehow. I've talked to two sales people from Cox OKC concerning this and neither knew anything about a Cox/Tivo agreement.

As you probably know, Current TiVo connections do not support Cox VOD since TiVo communication is one way. VOD requires bi-directional communications.
Testpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #1964
wjdennen

I heard from Cox New England that this Cox/TiVo deal Is on hold. Via twitter. @coxnewengland

I asked specifically about the VOD and they said it was on hold.
wjdennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #1965
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjdennen View Post
I heard from Cox New England that this Cox/TiVo deal Is on hold. Via twitter. @coxnewengland

I asked specifically about the VOD and they said it was on hold.

that's not a good thing

I recently emailed cox contact on this deal asking about the Rhode Island Area and if were were to get it. I forger her name, but the lady's who's email was given in the press release.

The response I got was to call the local cable franchise and she provided the number.

I call them, they know nothing about it, then try to sell me their box to get vod, lol
Old 05-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #1966
cmallan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOhio View Post
I am in Cleveland, with both TivoHD and Premier using cablecards.
what cable card do you have in your premiere? I was told by Cox Cleveland that they only have S-cards and no M-cards (which is complete crap in my opinion)
cmallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #1967
cmallan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOhio View Post
I am in Cleveland, with both TivoHD and Premier using cablecards.
what cable card do you have in your premiere? I was told by Cox Cleveland that they only have S-cards and no M-cards (which is complete crap in my opinion)
cmallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #1968
CharlieC

I'm in Cleveland with 4 TIVO boxes. Three have M-cards from Cox, the other (an S3 box from way back) has 2 S-cards. As I added the boxes I requested M-cards when I scheduled the install. The CSR initially told me there were no such thing as M-cards (not just with Cox, but anywhere). I told him whatever. When the tech came out to do the install he brought S-cards. I asked him if he had any M-cards. He told me he didn't but his supervisor had some so he called his supervisor who ran over and brought a whole bunch. Ever since then, I've requested M-cards and that's what they've installed.
CharlieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #1969
TomXP411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
I live in Chula Vista, which is serve by Cox San Diego. I pay $2.95 a month for the Cox Service Assurance Plan. What this mean is if anything go wrong with my service Cox has to fix it at no additional charge. This include the cable card installed in the TiVo HD.
I just called Cox today to order a CableCard for my InfiniTV, and they want $75 now for "Professional Installation."

Seriously? I could do it myself in 10 minutes. It's not like they can't provision this stuff remotely.

It sure seems like a simply profit-grab to me.
TomXP411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #1970
zowwie85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomXP411 View Post
It's not like they can't provision this stuff remotely.
You give them too much credit. Half the time they can't even provision it once they've shown up with it.
zowwie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #1971
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cox posts CableCARD Self Install & 888 Number

Cox has posted CableCARD Self Install Kit information and printed instructions.

Cisco
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/arizona/support/tv/article.cox?articleId={9bc79a10-7b4e-11e0-fbc4-000000000000}
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...uide_Cisco.pdf

Motorola
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/orangecounty/support/tv/article.cox?articleId={0b2b32b0-7b52-11e0-fbc4-000000000000}
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...e_Motorola.pdf

The 888 number is just the main Cox number, There was not an option specific to CableCard Self installs, so I selected AdvancedTV Self Install.
At first the CS Rep did not understand what I wanted, so she put me on hold and went to speak with someone else. She came back and confirmed she had the instructions to walk me through the process. She also confirmed that the Cox Stores should have CableCards and Tuning Adapters (where needed) for customers to pick up.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-16-2011 at 07:04 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #1972
Makaveli6103

Cox in Omaha will not provide me with a multi-stream card. What do I do?
Makaveli6103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #1973
zowwie85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 View Post
Cox in Omaha will not provide me with a multi-stream card. What do I do?
Just call back and ask for a cablecard without going into any detail. Single-stream cards are even rarer than knowledgeable employees.
zowwie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #1974
LynnL999

Anyone else in OC? My Tivo popped up with a whole slew of new channels today. Some are working with the tuning adapter, some not. I went through all the new and newish HD channels (channel 800+) to test what I'm getting and not getting.

Working:

891 DIYHD
892 COOKHD
893 HUBHD
894 (unlabeled)
895 OUTHD2

1028 WGNHD
1051 TWCHD

1103 IDHD

1337 TENISHD
1346 BBCAHD

Not Working:

785 NFLNRZD
798 GAME HD
799 CSDINHD

870 STZIBHP
871 STRCHP
877 SHWXPHD
879 HBOCPHD
880 HBOZPHD
881 HBO2HD
882 HBOSGHD
883 HBOFHD
884 HBOLAHD
887 SHOCPHD
888 TMCHD
889 STZCHD
890 STZKHD

1045 HLNHD
1047 (unlabeled)
1068 TCMHD
1105 OWNHD

1284 STZEHD

1352 TRUTV
1363 NGWILDH
1371 WEHD
1394 GALA

1654 TEAM HD
1672 (unlabeled)

None of the 1900 numbered MC channels are working for me either.

I don't sub to Cimemax and didn't try any of those channels, or any paid sports channels. I do subscribe to HBO, Showtime and Starz.

Can anyone with a TA report back if they are getting any of the channels I'm not getting?

I am thrilled with BBC HD, but I am really getting perturbed about all these channels that should be part of my package that I can't get -- especially the premiums.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #1975
LoREvanescence

some of those channels are plus package. Meaning they can only be viewed on cox's own box the whole home dvr. such as trutv and most of your not working ones.

as for MC, it was 4 months after they were added to my line up before they worked. They were just added to tivo's guide early and weren't on cox's own boxes until they worked.

Give them time, some may work if they are not added yet. Have someone with a cox box check to see if they are there and working.

And if they are, and they are still not working on your tivo, they wont. The reason being is they are inbetween 850 mgz and 1ghz. A S3 or THD tuner can not tune in that range.

The premiere can but also does not have access to them at this time. May take a software update? But I heave heard on the avs forums tivo is working with cox on this.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #1976
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
some of those channels are plus package. Meaning they can only be viewed on cox's own box the whole home dvr.
This doesn't make sense to me, because I am getting 891-895, all of which are listed as Plus Package, but not getting the premiums which I pay extra for in the same package.

Quote:
And if they are, and they are still not working on your tivo, they wont. The reason being is they are inbetween 850 mgz and 1ghz. A S3 or THD tuner can not tune in that range.
Then Cox shouldn't be using it. It's unfair to charge TiVo users for all channels yet treat us as second-class citizens. I don't expect to get On Demand or PPV or anything I knew that TiVo couldn't handle when I bought it. I do expect to get all the channels that I pay for, though.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #1977
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cox Plus Package channels and CableCARD

I Urge all Cox CableCARD customers to file a complaint with the FCC, and tell them Cox is requiring the lease of equipment to receive these "linear channels" and denying you access on a capable CableCARD UDCP receiver (TiVo Premiere). Cox may not budge on this issue until the FCC gets involved.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
or
http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

FCC CableCARD Rules:
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
"Receive all “linear” channels (channels other than “on-demand”) in your subscription package. This includes premium channels and specialty channels. For some channels delivered using a technique called “switched digital video,” you may need a second device called a “tuning adapter.” This device is typically provided at no additional charge to CableCARD customers. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4). CableCARD-ready devices currently cannot receive your cable operator’s Video on Demand services. "

FCC ENFORCEMENT ADVISORY:
http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...-11-1373A1.pdf
"Ensure access to all linear channels. Consumers have identified problems accessing switched digital channels on their retail CableCARD-compatible devices.9 Cable operators must ensure that subscribers can use their retail devices to access all of the linear channels that comprise the cable package to which they subscribe.10 Operators also must ensure that retail devices can tune at least four simultaneous channels, or as many switched digital channels as that operator’s most sophisticated operator-supplied set-top box, whichever is greater. See 47 C.F.R. §
76.1205(b)(4)."

"The term “linear programming” is generally understood to refer to video programming that is prescheduled by the programming provider, i.e., channels other than on-demand programming. Linear programming includes premium channels and channels delivered by switched digital technology"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #1978
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I Urge all Cox CableCARD customers to file a complaint with the FCC, and tell them Cox is requiring the lease of equipment to receive these "linear channels" and denying you access on a capable CableCARD UDCP receiver (TiVo Premiere). Cox may not budge on this issue until the FCC gets involved.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
or
http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

FCC CableCARD Rules:
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
"Receive all “linear” channels (channels other than “on-demand”) in your subscription package. This includes premium channels and specialty channels. For some channels delivered using a technique called “switched digital video,” you may need a second device called a “tuning adapter.” This device is typically provided at no additional charge to CableCARD customers. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4). CableCARD-ready devices currently cannot receive your cable operator’s Video on Demand services. "

FCC ENFORCEMENT ADVISORY:
http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...-11-1373A1.pdf
"Ensure access to all linear channels. Consumers have identified problems accessing switched digital channels on their retail CableCARD-compatible devices.9 Cable operators must ensure that subscribers can use their retail devices to access all of the linear channels that comprise the cable package to which they subscribe.10 Operators also must ensure that retail devices can tune at least four simultaneous channels, or as many switched digital channels as that operator’s most sophisticated operator-supplied set-top box, whichever is greater. See 47 C.F.R. §
76.1205(b)(4)."

"The term “linear programming” is generally understood to refer to video programming that is prescheduled by the programming provider, i.e., channels other than on-demand programming. Linear programming includes premium channels and channels delivered by switched digital technology"
Complaint sent. It's the only way we have a chance of being treated fairly
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #1979
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
This doesn't make sense to me, because I am getting 891-895, all of which are listed as Plus Package, but not getting the premiums which I pay extra for in the same package.

Then Cox shouldn't be using it. It's unfair to charge TiVo users for all channels yet treat us as second-class citizens. I don't expect to get On Demand or PPV or anything I knew that TiVo couldn't handle when I bought it. I do expect to get all the channels that I pay for, though.
you are correct on both points. it would appear Cox's TiVo customers are subsidizing the non-TiVo dvr users. As far as freq. spectrum goes, same thing...we put up with lousy NTSC 525 lines for 50 years because standards had to be maintained. Same goes here...in fact, the ONLY realistic reason Cox would change technology would be to benefit Cox, and that's just not right when there isn't another company allowed to use the coax feeding my neighborhood
Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #1980
tvmaster2

but at least we FINALLY have BBC HD. Now, how about Current TV please...