TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #1921
delgadobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywaja View Post
Turned on the TV tonight and received a message that cablecard 2 is upgrading firmware. That was 4 hours ago.

Anyone else with Cox Fairfax seen their card's firmware updated recently?
Well, I'm with Cox Las Vegas, but the other night I came home late & wanted to catch up on the (TIVOed) Olympics. About 3:30 AM PST Wed night/Thurs AM Cox decided it was a good time to update the cable card firmware. Not sure why.

What I *do* know is that I couldn't use either of my HD Tivos, so I eventually gave up & went to bed. Some of my recordings from that night got screwed up, so Cox will definitely be getting a phone call.

Anyone know why this firmware update was done (presumably) automatically? I mean, most of the Cox techs can't do cable card stuff with three people & a manager involved. Why would they expect it to work unattended & unannounced?
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
Toshiba SDH-400 330 Hr (Basic Life)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #1922
boywaja
Splendid Isolation

one of my reasons for posting is to find out if Cox Fairfax did push a firmware update or not. Either way my card was dead.

Cox came out today. Failed to bring two cards like I asked. I was a bit worried about him putting one multi card with existing single stream card that still worked

I had to call in to support and have them hit my cards multiple times, and reset the tuning adaptor before it finally got all the channels. What a pain.
boywaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #1923
deadz007

Hello, I also live in Las Vegas and have Cox as my cable provider. I have a TiVo HD DVR and for some odd reason starting two days ago, after installing an M cablecard my DVR seems to randomly reset itself.

I've spoken with TiVo reps and they seem to all agree that it is a cablecard issue. Has anyone else had their HD DVRs randomly reset when trying to access recordings? I'm really trying to figure out if I need to call Cox and get this sorted out.
deadz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #1924
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadz007 View Post
Hello, I also live in Las Vegas and have Cox as my cable provider. I have a TiVo HD DVR and for some odd reason starting two days ago, after installing an M cablecard my DVR seems to randomly reset itself.

I've spoken with TiVo reps and they seem to all agree that it is a cablecard issue. Has anyone else had their HD DVRs randomly reset when trying to access recordings? I'm really trying to figure out if I need to call Cox and get this sorted out.
Try this, power down (unplug) your TiVo for about an hour and then power it back up. The cable card should refresh and everything should work. If not then you will have to call Cox.

If you use a Tuning Adapter, make sure it hook up correct. Search the form for info on that. I don’t use one here in San Diego.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor

Last edited by Johncv : 02-27-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Tuning Adapter
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #1925
tamaman

S card vs M card

I have had a THD with two s-cards up and running with Cox Omaha for little over two years. As far as I know I was getting all the channels I thought I was supposed to get, didn't seem to be having any SDV issues, but to be honest maybe I didn't know I was missing anything. My THD hard drive died a couple of weeks ago and I grabbed the Cox DVR just to have something. I of course hate it so I just ordered a Tivo Premiere. (decided to spend the extra $$ rather than replacing the hard drive). So my questions is: should I just stick the 2 s-cards I still have into my new TiVo when it gets here, or move to an M-card? (don't really care about the extra 2 bucks if it saves me some hassle). If I move to an M-card will I need a Tuning Adaptor? Thanks!
tamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #1926
gwsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaman View Post
I have had a THD with two s-cards up and running with Cox Omaha for little over two years. As far as I know I was getting all the channels I thought I was supposed to get, didn't seem to be having any SDV issues, but to be honest maybe I didn't know I was missing anything. My THD hard drive died a couple of weeks ago and I grabbed the Cox DVR just to have something. I of course hate it so I just ordered a Tivo Premiere. (decided to spend the extra $$ rather than replacing the hard drive). So my questions is: should I just stick the 2 s-cards I still have into my new TiVo when it gets here, or move to an M-card? (don't really care about the extra 2 bucks if it saves me some hassle). If I move to an M-card will I need a Tuning Adaptor? Thanks!
I believe that the new S4 boxes have only one CableCARD slot and require M-cards.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #1927
scott85213

I'm trying to figure out how I can get some cable cards for my box without paying the ridiculous $60 "Professional Installation" in Phoenix, does anyone have any ideas?

I'd like to use the Tivo I have, but I see no reason to pay for all the stuff when it'll cost me a large amount of money for basically the same functionality I'm looking for with their cable box I have now. I was just hoping to pay for the monthly tivo subscription and the card rental fee, and NO installation fees, so the cost would be roughly the same as the cablebox I have now.

I called in and was redirected to the cable card technical support line and this guy didn't know if they had M-Stream cards or even what the difference was, and said it was impossible for a non-professional to install them. Needless to say I'm very frustrated with their lack of knowledge and the cablecard activation scam they got going right now.
scott85213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #1928
gwsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott85213 View Post
I'm trying to figure out how I can get some cable cards for my box without paying the ridiculous $60 "Professional Installation" in Phoenix, does anyone have any ideas?
Apparently, Cox OKC has the same policy as Cox Phoenix. I recently had to have a new M Card installed and Cox required that I have a $40 service call so that a Cox tech could be here and oversee this end of the installation. I understand that some cable companies don't have this requirement but Cox evidently does.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #1929
Johncv

Quote:
I live in Chula Vista, which is serve by Cox San Diego. I pay $2.95 a month for the Cox Service Assurance Plan. What this mean is if anything go wrong with my service Cox has to fix it at no additional charge. This include the cable card installed in the TiVo HD. When I requested a card for my TiVo, no problem, made an appointment. Cox sent out a tech the next day, but receive a phone call that the tech would be late and Cox credit $20.00 to my account. When the tech arrive he had an M-card (I was told they only had s-cards), I ask and was told they just receive them. He wrote down the card number and pop card and proceeded with the set-up, had to call TiVo for a clarification on cable card set-up screen, call Cox HQ to activate the card and did not leave till he had the thing working. Took him a little more then an hour. Because I had the service plan, no charge.

You may want to check and see if Cox in your area offer a service plan.

HDTiVo
Old 03-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #1930
gwsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
I live in Chula Vista, which is serve by Cox San Diego. I pay $2.95 a month for the Cox Service Assurance Plan. What this mean is if anything go wrong with my service Cox has to fix it at no additional charge. This include the cable card installed in the TiVo HD. When I requested a card for my TiVo, no problem, made an appointment. Cox sent out a tech the next day, but receive a phone call that the tech would be late and Cox credit $20.00 to my account. When the tech arrive he had an M-card (I was told they only had s-cards), I ask and was told they just receive them. He wrote down the card number and pop card and proceeded with the set-up, had to call TiVo for a clarification on cable card set-up screen, call Cox HQ to activate the card and did not leave till he had the thing working. Took him a little more then an hour. Because I had the service plan, no charge.

You may want to check and see if Cox in your area offer a service plan.
Was this a new card for a new TiVo? If so, Cox San Diego treated you better than Cox OKC treated me. I, too, have the Cox Service Assurance Plan, but it only covers repairs, not the installation of new CableCARDs in newly acquired CableCARD capable devices. Thus, I had to pay a $40 installation charge when I had an M Card installed in a newly acquired TiVo DVR.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #1931
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Was this a new card for a new TiVo? If so, Cox San Diego treated you better than Cox OKC treated me. I, too, have the Cox Service Assurance Plan, but it only covers repairs, not the installation of new CableCARDs in newly acquired CableCARD capable devices. Thus, I had to pay a $40 installation charge when I had an M Card installed in a newly acquired TiVo DVR.
At the time, it was a new TiVo. From what I been reading it seem everything depend on who managing the area.

HDTiVo
Old 03-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #1932
culhwch

Quote:

I called in and was redirected to the cable card technical support line and this guy didn't know if they had M-Stream cards or even what the difference was, and said it was impossible for a non-professional to install them. Needless to say I'm very frustrated with their lack of knowledge and the cablecard activation scam they got going right now.
An e-mail I got from Cox Phoenix about a month ago said they have M-Cards. The monthly charge for an S-Card is $2.00; for an M-Card is $4.00.

And, no, I don't know how to get around the tech having to come out to install it. I would like to know that as well!
culhwch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #1933
tvmaster2

Quote:

I'd like to use the Tivo I have, but I see no reason to pay for all the stuff when it'll cost me a large amount of money for basically the same functionality I'm looking for with their cable box I have now. I was just hoping to pay for the monthly tivo subscription and the card rental fee, and NO installation fees, so the cost would be roughly the same as the cablebox I have now.

Here's what I did - bought a used TiVo HD from someone in the same cable company area as me. Then, before I left their house, had them call the cable company and switch the cable card to my account. Effectively, the seller told the cable company that I had his permission to remove the card from his house. Since the card and Tivo were already paired, the cable company COULDN'T say that they needed an "expert" to come to the house and make it work. I then went to the cable company store, and the CSR typed out a few commands and voila - no charge.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #1934
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Here's what I did - bought a used TiVo HD from someone in the same cable company area as me. Then, before I left their house, had them call the cable company and switch the cable card to my account. Effectively, the seller told the cable company that I had his permission to remove the card from his house. Since the card and Tivo were already paired, the cable company COULDN'T say that they needed an "expert" to come to the house and make it work. I then went to the cable company store, and the CSR typed out a few commands and voila - no charge.
That is good that you found a way around the truck roll, but you have to admit that this scenario is extremely exceptional.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #1935
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
That is good that you found a way around the truck roll, but you have to admit that this scenario is extremely exceptional.
it involved some quick thinking on my feet - but that truck-roll cost sucks so much it made me think extra hard. Look on Craigslist. It's amazing how many of these come up for sale, every week, in the same cable area as me.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #1936
gwsat

Cox OKC requires a service call, at a cost of $40, whenever they do a CableCard installation. If there is a way around paying that charge, I don't know what it is.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #1937
evilipoo
Trust no 1

I just got off the phone with Cox San Diego. The installation fee for the Mcard is now $75 and they deny that there is a self install option.

There has got to be a way around this...
evilipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #1938
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilipoo View Post
I just got off the phone with Cox San Diego. The installation fee for the Mcard is now $75 and they deny that there is a self install option.

cox does not allow self installs of cable cards yet
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 AM   #1939
guammm17

Cox Phoenix

Just wanted to post a note on cox phoenix with S4 tivos. Cox Phoenix does have M-cablecards, don't let anyone tell you different. The people at cox in Tempe Marketplace and on the phone all claimed that they did not offer multistream cablecards. After much arguing and convincing, they "realized" that they did in fact offer multistream cards (I showed them the back of one of their cable boxes with a multistream card in it and asked how was this possible if they did not have them).

The charge for install was $30, and I couldn't talk them out of letting me do it myself, but the installer was quite nice and very quick, had the box set up in under 10 minutes. He had four "green" cards in his shirt pocket when he came over. I believe the fee for the cablecard is $4/month, however no one would give me a straight answer on this.

Hope this story helps someone out there.
guammm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #1940
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guammm17 View Post
Just wanted to post a note on cox phoenix with S4 tivos. Cox Phoenix does have M-cablecards, don't let anyone tell you different. The people at cox in Tempe Marketplace and on the phone all claimed that they did not offer multistream cablecards. After much arguing and convincing, they "realized" that they did in fact offer multistream cards (I showed them the back of one of their cable boxes with a multistream card in it and asked how was this possible if they did not have them).

The charge for install was $30, and I couldn't talk them out of letting me do it myself, but the installer was quite nice and very quick, had the box set up in under 10 minutes. He had four "green" cards in his shirt pocket when he came over. I believe the fee for the cablecard is $4/month, however no one would give me a straight answer on this.

Hope this story helps someone out there.
In Orange County the monthly is $1.99, with a $55 install, but if you find the right CSR, they'll reduce that fee. Sadly, NO ONE in CSR technical seems to know anything about trouble-shooting a Tivo with cable card.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #1941
PVCOX90275

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
In Orange County the monthly is $1.99, with a $55 install, but if you find the right CSR, they'll reduce that fee. Sadly, NO ONE in CSR technical seems to know anything about trouble-shooting a Tivo with cable card.
First time Tivo user, I was too told by multiple CSR from Cox in Palos verdes that installtion is $55 and they don't allow self installation. However, one of last CSR that I talked to recommended that I contact retention unit as they have more leverage in waiving the fee. So I called Cox retention and complained that it's ridiculous that Cox wants to charge me $55 for something that I can pick up at their office and insert into Tivo myself. It's very upsetting that I want to switch to Verizon FIOS. The retention guy was very nice but it was also his first time hearing about cable card. Anyway, he put me on hold and contacted his technical support to research. In the end, he was able to find out how to order cable card installation for me and waive $55.
PVCOX90275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #1942
zowwie85

Suggestions with SDV?

Does anyone on Cox Phoenix have an issue with suggestions not being recorded? Series 3 HD + SDV seems to = no suggestions.
zowwie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #1943
spartan300

Has anyone else experienced the same issue as this.

Ordered a S4 Premiere and had Cox come out to install M-Card.
It worked for 4 hours and then spit out a 161-38 error call your cable company and report.

Since that day 3 months ago I have had 3 different premier boxes an over 20 cable cards. Nothing has worked for more than 4 hours and I am not able to record any shows because the signal is lost and I eventually just get a blank screen with the floating message of lost signal trying again from Tivo.

My stats are as follows
S4 Premiere with ver. 14.5
SA Multi stream cable card
Cox Digital cable
signal strength of 95-98 depending on channnel
SNR 37-39 (This is the kicker because Tivo says it can't be above a 35 and Cox showed me documentation that says their standard is anywhere between a 30-50 and most of their equipment runs in the 40's)
I will receive anywhere from 100--250 RS Uncorrected errors but it doesnt fluctuate, once it is on a channel the Uncorrected errors stay at the same number. I have used this support article for ref on the RS count: support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150/c/123%2C130/r_id/100041

I have had Cox run a new line to my house for better signal and I have tried an attenuator but nothing has worked.

When I can get to the the CableCard option screens the FDC says it is locked and it is paired and authorized.

If I reboot the Tivo the channels come back but again only for about 4 hours and then it looses the signal and i have restart again.

Is it just me or is anyone else having this same amount of trouble getting a premier to work with Cox in Cleveland?
spartan300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #1944
moyekj

Can't really help you with your problem, but perhaps more information will be useful in getting it resolved with cable company.
CableCard error codes can be found here:
http://www.opencable.com/downloads/s...I07-060803.pdf
161-38 you can find in the table on page 252.
"Card fails to respond to ca_info_inq within 5 seconds"

If you search for ca_info_inq within that PDF document there are several references to it, including this blurb on page 96:
"Under normal operating conditions, this session will never be closed".

So sounds like that is getting closed perhaps because your card is losing communication with the headend.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #1945
spartan300

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Can't really help you with your problem, but perhaps more information will be useful in getting it resolved with cable company.
CableCard error codes can be found here:
opencable.com/downloads/specs/OC-SP-CCIF2.0-I07-060803.pdf
161-38 you can find in the table on page 252.
"Card fails to respond to ca_info_inq within 5 seconds"

If you search for ca_info_inq within that PDF document there are several references to it, including this blurb on page 96:
"Under normal operating conditions, this session will never be closed".

So sounds like that is getting closed perhaps because your card is losing communication with the headend.
Thanks moyekj.....at least now I have something to show Cox tech next time I call him out. Neither Tivo CableCard support reps nor Cox tech could tell me what the error code actually meant and they both have just been pointing fingers at each other and saying try another Card. After 20+ cards though I don't think another one is going to make a difference.

I am just stubborn enough to keep calling a tech out until it works even after 3 months.
spartan300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #1946
zowwie85

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilipoo View Post

First, get the best deal you can on a TiVo Premiere since you're wasting your time trying to get an S3 to work with cablecard and SDV and still have the features that TiVo markets as an inducement to pay for the subscription. An S3 will stop suggesting shows you might like.

Budget at least TWO 1/2 days off of work (or weekend appointments). They are correct, there is no self install option. Given the state of the (lack of) employee training there isn't even a likelihood of a first time "professional" install.

Insist you need the M-card plus SDV box. The first person they send will be a contractor, who may well know how to do the install but he won't have immediate access to anyone who can manipulate the authorization system to pair your M-card to your TiVo AND pair the card to the SDV box.

The reality of the install is that if you ever plugged a pacman cartridge into an atari (or something like that) AND plugged a computer into a printer... AND you can correctly read and react to english numbers and letters - yes, this could be a self-install. Cox has made a business decision not to support that.

You will have to agree to the fee in the first place. If lightning strikes and you get a successful install on the first try you'll probably have to pay it. Given the VERY MINIMAL level of training Cox has given their employees (and least of all, contractors) - the first attempt will not succeed.

DO NOT stand for the contractor who shows up with card only and tells you the SDV box is unnecessary. Let him leave with a vague promise to come back and then call to b**tch.

After the first attempt put on your biggest smile and call - expect the hard line "either you pay the fee or cancel the call." Just hang up when you hear it. Call back and reset your smile, try again. You will get the fee waived provided you don't blow your cool much about the wasted time. When you get someone doesn't take the "pay-the-fee-or-cancel-the-call" line emphasize you want them to send a Cox employee.

They will insist contractors and employees are equal... but it's not true. An employee will have better access to anyone who has any clue about how to authorize the card.

Or just complain to the city or entity that has the franchise (after the contractor FUBAR's your first install attempt). That works too.

There's yet another gotcha... Cox will eventually get your cablecard and SDV adapter working - but your S3 TiVo will stop offering suggestions. That's why you should probably have the Premiere in the first place if you can get it.
zowwie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #1947
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Have an install appt this morning for two cards for a series3 that I inherited. The installer already tried to call me to make excuses. Said the cards were hard to find, there were problems with them, etc etc, did I know I can't get on demand etc etc.

I told him I didn't want any excuses and I expect him to be here in his time window.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #1948
Amiga

Anyone push free TiVo install per press release?

I've gotten the usual CableCARD runaround from Cox. They tried to charge me over $7 for a card, $1.99 for the card and the rest as an access fee. Even after complaining to Clark County (Las Vegas), some Cox CSR liaison that contacted me insisted cards were $7+. Finally, this CSR found someone up the foodchain who agreed that cards are only $1.99. Beyond that, this rep also acted like she was doing me a favor lowering the install from around $60 for two cards to $25. I now found this press release stating free Cox CableCARD / TiVo installations, http://pr.tivo.com/easyir/customrel....jsp=custom_150 . Has anyone had any luck pushing for a free install?

Last edited by Amiga : 11-22-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Amiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #1949
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaman View Post
Omaha does not use sdv as far as I know we are 1Ghz already
Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #1950
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga View Post
I've gotten the usual CableCARD runaround from Cox. They tried to charge me over $7 for a card, $1.99 for the card and the rest as an access fee. Even after complaining to Clark County (Las Vegas), some Cox CSR liaison that contacted me insisted cards were $7+. Finally, this CSR found someone up the foodchain who agreed that cards are only $1.99. Beyond that, this rep also acted like she was doing me a favor lowering the install from around $60 for two cards to $25. I now found this press release stating free Cox CableCARD / TiVo installations, http://pr.tivo.com/easyir/customrel....jsp=custom_150 . Has anyone had any luck pushing for a free install?
that's for when they launch the cox ondemand for tivo not avalable yet