TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2009, 01:24 AM   #1891
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgbd View Post
I will post a long thread about this issue on a few minutes answering most of your questions. The cost is minimal at $1.99 per card in Orange County, CA.

Search for "Urgent Issue relating to SDV, Tuning Adapters & TiVo"
I tried - got nothing. Any advice on how to search on this forum? If I cut and paste your sentence, the search engine says I need more than two words (?). Hmmm
thanks
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #1892
NuShrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALover View Post
I've had a Cox M card for almost a year and I live in Tustin. It works great, but if you're getting HD, you won't get :
[snip]
because they don't offer tuning adapters. I have contacted Cox customer service a couple of times about this, but all they say is I need to get their cable box if I want all the channels. I just filed a complaint with the FCC about it.
Well, just got my new Motorola (blue) M-card installed in my TivoHD along with a Motoroa MTR-700 Tuning adapter.

The tech was friendly and knowledgeable about the cable-card install. It took probably 5-7 minutes and all the major HD channels came in immediately.

However, none of the SDV channels came in, so the Motorola tuning adapter was then connected, and a dim yellow light started blinking. Tuning adaptor menu came up, but it couldn't tune any channels, and many of the diagnostic screens said 0 or not-initialized. Interestingly, the techs were being told to add the TA only if folks weren't getting the 8xx channels, and they were not trained to connect up the USB cable also.

So, I went ahead and connected the USB, a red led blinked, dim orange/yellow continued to blink, and still no SDV channels! SyFy HD, but no ComedyHD nor ToonHD.

I'd then Googled quickly for any info and vaguely got that the TA had to be added to the account and paired/initialized. Well, it was added to the account, but "dispatch" and tech didn't know anything about pairing/initialization of the TA.

So there you go, tuning adapters are available from Cox for the OC/Tustin area, but they don't know how set it up yet.

I'm running through the Guided Setup now to see if that helps anything.
NuShrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #1893
NuShrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALover View Post
I've had a Cox M card for almost a year and I live in Tustin. It works great, but if you're getting HD, you won't get :
[snip]
because they don't offer tuning adapters. I have contacted Cox customer service a couple of times about this, but all they say is I need to get their cable box if I want all the channels. I just filed a complaint with the FCC about it.
Well, just got my new Motorola (blue) M-card installed in my TivoHD along with a Motoroa MTR-700 Tuning adapter.

The tech was friendly and knowledgeable about the cable-card install. It took probably 5-7 minutes and all the major HD channels came in immediately.

However, none of the SDV channels came in, so the Motorola tuning adapter was then connected, and a dim yellow light started blinking. Tuning adaptor menu came up, but it couldn't tune any channels, and many of the diagnostic screens said 0 or not-initialized. Interestingly, the techs were being told to add the TA only if folks weren't getting the 8xx channels, and they were not trained to connect up the USB cable also.

So, I went ahead and connected the USB, a red led blinked, dim orange/yellow continued to blink, and still no SDV channels! I'd then Googled quickly for any info and vaguely got that the TA had to be added to the account and paired/initialized. Well, it was added to the account, but "dispatch" and tech didn't know anything about pairing/initialization of the TA.

So there you go, tuning adapters are available from Cox for the OC/Tustin area, but they don't know how set it up yet.

edit: guided setup doesn't help, and the SDV status screen for the TA still shows uninited with no upstream connection, and Warning Report shows "OOB Lost Lock".
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #1894
BigTuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuShrike View Post

So, I went ahead and connected the USB, a red led blinked, dim orange/yellow continued to blink, and still no SDV channels! I'd then Googled quickly for any info and vaguely got that the TA had to be added to the account and paired/initialized. Well, it was added to the account, but "dispatch" and tech didn't know anything about pairing/initialization of the TA.

edit: guided setup doesn't help, and the SDV status screen for the TA still shows uninited with no upstream connection, and Warning Report shows "OOB Lost Lock".
I have full instructions. I installed 2 of these today without any problems. I did connect via USB port #2 on the Tivo, port #1 didn't seem to work. it takes about 15-20 minutes to sync. The scan file is too big to attach here. Send me a PM or email and I will forward.

BT
Old 11-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #1895
NuShrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
I have full instructions. I installed 2 of these today without any problems. I did connect via USB port #2 on the Tivo, port #1 didn't seem to work. it takes about 15-20 minutes to sync. The scan file is too big to attach here. Send me a PM or email and I will forward.
I'm connecting by port #1 (the top one).

So I resolved this by calling CS whom shunted me to a special department to activate it. It takes ~20 minutes to sync after that to get a solid amber light, and then it's all good.

I don't get 730 (SPEED) and some other channels in the 7xx range although I do get CCHD and TOONHD, so good enough.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #1896
av_dude

Quote:
I'm connecting by port #1 (the top one).

So I resolved this by calling CS whom shunted me to a special department to activate it. It takes ~20 minutes to sync after that to get a solid amber light, and then it's all good.

I don't get 730 (SPEED) and some other channels in the 7xx range although I do get CCHD and TOONHD, so good enough.
That's strange. You should get all the SDV channels.
av_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #1897
NuShrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_dude View Post
That's strange. You should get all the SDV channels.
SPEED is on SDV? I'll ping Cox sometime to see why some of my digital channels are missing. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #1898
av_dude

Quote:
SPEED is on SDV? I'll ping Cox sometime to see why some of my digital channels are missing. Thanks.
Actually, no, I didn't word my sentence well. That said, to get SPEED, I believe you need to have the Sports and Info Tier. Did you get SPEED before?

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/orang...l-lineup.cox#9
Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #1899
NeoMinder

I'm trying to understand the way cox charges for cables cards. I was told it was $2 per month per card. I see now that Cox is charging $2 for the card, and $2 for "Digital gateway service". So it appears that Cox really charges $4/month per cable card. Has anybody else had this experience? It just seems like you should be able to watch the cable tv you are paying for, not getting charged for the "service" of being able to watch the cable. Seems odd to me.
NeoMinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #1900
av_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMinder View Post
I'm trying to understand the way cox charges for cables cards. I was told it was $2 per month per card. I see now that Cox is charging $2 for the card, and $2 for "Digital gateway service". So it appears that Cox really charges $4/month per cable card. Has anybody else had this experience? It just seems like you should be able to watch the cable tv you are paying for, not getting charged for the "service" of being able to watch the cable. Seems odd to me.
I believe the Digital Gateway service is $5 a month and a CableCARD is $1.99 a month, thus $7 per month total - plus the cost of the TiVo service, of course. When you factor in the hardware purchase, there really is very little financial advantage of the TiVo over the cable DVR. Now the features, quality, and general experience, that's entirely different.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #1901
NeoMinder

Quote:
I believe the Digital Gateway service is $5 a month and a CableCARD is $1.99 a month, thus $7 per month total - plus the cost of the TiVo service, of course. When you factor in the hardware purchase, there really is very little financial advantage of the TiVo over the cable DVR. Now the features, quality, and general experience, that's entirely different.

So since I have three cable cards I pay the gateway fee three times?

$6 for 3 cards
$6 for 3 gateway services.

I have a Cox set top box, so on my bill i have the gateway service listed 4 times total. The first one is for $5, then the other three are for $2 each. I can understand that fee to the cox box, but charging the gateway fee for each cable card? That seems crazy to me.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #1902
av_dude

Quote:
So since I have three cable cards I pay the gateway fee three times?

$6 for 3 cards
$6 for 3 gateway services.

I have a Cox set top box, so on my bill i have the gateway service listed 4 times total. The first one is for $5, then the other three are for $2 each. I can understand that fee to the cox box, but charging the gateway fee for each cable card? That seems crazy to me.
No, you will only have to pay one Digital Gateway fee. The wording on the bills can be confusing at times.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #1903
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

They may charge the digital gateway fee per card until you complain. They did for me.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #1904
NeoMinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
They may charge the digital gateway fee per card until you complain. They did for me.
I did call and complain. They said it was correct. $5 gateway fee for the cox box, and $2 gateay fee for each cable card. It's listed that way on the bill. So $11 a month for the gateway, what ever that is.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #1905
cwpomeroy

cox gainesville Fl / TIVO HD XL

sorry to jump in. but i'm heading out tonight to buy a gift for someone that lives in gainesville fl and has Cox. They would like a tivo. What's the latest on them working well with Cox? I know in the past there were some pending incompatabilities that might have limited certain features like interactive or PPV/channels/etc?

Assuming the monthly economics aren't a concern (paying for the service, cards etc..) does it work well and are there any pending issues to be aware of?

Thanks!!!!!
cwpomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #1906
snarler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpomeroy View Post
sorry to jump in. but i'm heading out tonight to buy a gift for someone that lives in gainesville fl and has Cox. They would like a tivo. What's the latest on them working well with Cox? I know in the past there were some pending incompatabilities that might have limited certain features like interactive or PPV/channels/etc?

Assuming the monthly economics aren't a concern (paying for the service, cards etc..) does it work well and are there any pending issues to be aware of?

Thanks!!!!!
I live in G'ville, and have Cox Digital Cable, and use a TiVo HD with Cablecard, and beyond a small installation issue that was resolved over the phone (Cox needed to reset my Cablecard or authorize it or whatever the proper term is but for some reason is took a three way call between me, Cox, and TiVo and about an hour on hold while the tech typed away furiously to make it finally work) everything works as desired. The only problem I have is that I believe my signal is too hot and I have some attenuators on the way to see if I can clear that up. The symptom I am having is that every so often I'll get a video hiccup (pixelation, etc.) and/or the sound will vanish for a few seconds. I wouldn't even care but when I try to transfer a recording that has a particular hiccupy spot in it to my PC it stops when it gets to the hiccup. And I've tried several different ways to get it to my PC to no avail.

Price-wise, oddly enough, it's about a dollar or two cheaper than just regular digital cable, let alone the monthly PVR fee they have vs the lifetime option with TiVo. I love it. After football season is over, I might scale back to just limited basic (locals only plus some shopping networks) but keep the cablecard for the guide data and digital music channels.

Edited to add: Meant to also say you don't get some features they offer like OnDemand.

Last edited by snarler : 12-23-2009 at 09:09 PM.
snarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #1907
snarler

Quote:
I did call and complain. They said it was correct. $5 gateway fee for the cox box, and $2 gateay fee for each cable card. It's listed that way on the bill. So $11 a month for the gateway, what ever that is.
I can only speak for my Cox cable bill, but if I compare the line items to their listed prices for various services, it turns out that the $5 gateway fee plus what they have listed for extended basic and limited basic ends up being what they say digital cable costs before they add in the set top box. The 2 per card is a rental fee that takes the place of the rental fee you would be paying them for the set top box they would provide.

Of course, now that I go back to their site to the price list, it's all changed around with special offers lol so I can't easily point out what I'm getting at.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #1908
pokechop8898

Self-Installation

I live in Baton Rouge, LA. Recently had a cox tech come out to my house for a new coax line to be run. I was robbed five days later. My tivo was stolen. I got a new TivoHD for christmas, and now need cableCards. Needless to say, I refuse to have another tech in my home. I have watched someone do an install, not very difficult. How can I convince Cox to mail me or let me pick up the card?
pokechop8898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #1909
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokechop8898 View Post
I live in Baton Rouge, LA. Recently had a cox tech come out to my house for a new coax line to be run. I was robbed five days later. My tivo was stolen. I got a new TivoHD for christmas, and now need cableCards. Needless to say, I refuse to have another tech in my home. I have watched someone do an install, not very difficult. How can I convince Cox to mail me or let me pick up the card?
Installing the Cable Card is not difficult, but pairing the card may need tweaking so your better off having a tech talking to the people at the other end. Do NOT let the tech leave until the following conditions are met:

1. Your receiving ALL the channels to which subscribe, including all HD channels. Make sure there are no picture or sound problem.

2. Even if you donít use close caption, make sure it work. Turn digital close caption OFF on the TiVo. Leave the analog close caption on. Turn close caption on and check all your channel for close caption.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #1910
pkbradbury

I installed the Motorola adapter to my Tivo HD today and I now recieve channel 1 on Cox (On Demand). Trouble is, pressing select on my remote will not connect me to the services. Anybody found a work around for this yet
pkbradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #1911
Goofball

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbradbury View Post
I installed the Motorola adapter to my Tivo HD today and I now recieve channel 1 on Cox (On Demand). Trouble is, pressing select on my remote will not connect me to the services. Anybody found a work around for this yet
The Tuning Adapter does not allow you to get "On Demand" services. All it does is allow your TiVo to request and tune SDV channels. If you want to use "On Demand" or one button PPV services you will need a cable company digital STB or DVR.

TiVo and Cox/other cable companies could potentially make "On Demand" services work through the TA/CableCard combo in the TiVo but haven't bothered to figure it out at this time. I'm guessing it is so they can get the additional money from you having to rent a STB. STB rentals are a cash cow for the cable companies.
Goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #1912
pokechop8898

Is it possible to have a Cox stb with a tivoHD? i thought that was the entire point of the cableCard slots. I would much rather a stb, can i use one with an HD Tivo?
pokechop8898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #1913
Goofball

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokechop8898 View Post
Is it possible to have a Cox stb with a tivoHD? i thought that was the entire point of the cableCard slots. I would much rather a stb, can i use one with an HD Tivo?
You are correct, the S3/HD/HDXL are stand alone and have no option to interface with and control a STB.

You can, however, hook up a STB to your TV as well as as the TiVo on separate inputs and switch between them when you want to use functions that are only available on the STB (On Demand, PPV).
Goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #1914
NuShrike

Quote:
Actually, no, I didn't word my sentence well. That said, to get SPEED, I believe you need to have the Sports and Info Tier. Did you get SPEED before?

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/orang...l-lineup.cox#9
Okay, that might explain it, although it is in the HD tier.

Recently, I've "lost" two channels and since neither of the 2 Cox techs that have passed by can explain it nor fix it besides sending a "hit" to the TA, maybe somebody here can help me.

I'm getting ToonSD(71) on 225000KHz and ToonHD(771) on 699000KHz. However the HD channel is simulcasting the SD content because it's 480i and matches the 71 channel guide, not the 771's guide. I know I got ToonHD properly before because it was when the OC TAs came out and I got a CC installed for the first time. I've also recorded content in 1080i.

Is those frequencies correct for those of you in the OC COX area?

Meanwhile, I've also had lost channel KNBC(4) on 573000KHz, but it seems fiddling with the cables and sending a couple pairs have brought it back.

So, I really would like to get my ToonHD back on this m-card, and Cox only seems to have s-cards now.

Last edited by NuShrike : 01-04-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #1915
oscardeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarler View Post
I live in G'ville, and have Cox Digital Cable, and use a TiVo HD with Cablecard, and beyond a small installation issue that was resolved over the phone (Cox needed to reset my Cablecard or authorize it or whatever the proper term is but for some reason is took a three way call between me, Cox, and TiVo and about an hour on hold while the tech typed away furiously to make it finally work) everything works as desired. The only problem I have is that I believe my signal is too hot and I have some attenuators on the way to see if I can clear that up. The symptom I am having is that every so often I'll get a video hiccup (pixelation, etc.) and/or the sound will vanish for a few seconds. I wouldn't even care but when I try to transfer a recording that has a particular hiccupy spot in it to my PC it stops when it gets to the hiccup. And I've tried several different ways to get it to my PC to no avail.

Price-wise, oddly enough, it's about a dollar or two cheaper than just regular digital cable, let alone the monthly PVR fee they have vs the lifetime option with TiVo. I love it. After football season is over, I might scale back to just limited basic (locals only plus some shopping networks) but keep the cablecard for the guide data and digital music channels.

Edited to add: Meant to also say you don't get some features they offer like OnDemand.
Snarler:

Did you get your attenuators, and did they work? I have the same pixellation and audio blips you describe. Oddly enough, it seems to be worse on SD channels.
oscardeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #1916
snarler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscardeuce View Post
Snarler:

Did you get your attenuators, and did they work? I have the same pixellation and audio blips you describe. Oddly enough, it seems to be worse on SD channels.
No not yet. They were some 3rd party from Amazon with cheap shipping. Says they'll be in anywhere between the 30th and the 5th. I'm a little nervous that it won't work for a couple reasons. One is that I don't think my error counts match what to expect in the cases of problems that this will solve. Two is that it seems that one of my tuners has a different strength and SNR than the other and I wonder if bringing one down to levels that might clear up the problem will either bring the other down too low or leave it too high depending on which I target first. But we'll see. I've got 2 3's, 2 6's and 2 12's coming. If this don't affect my signal nothing will lol.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #1917
NuShrike

Quote:
Recently, I've "lost" two channels and since neither of the 2 Cox techs that have passed by can explain it nor fix it besides sending a "hit" to the TA, maybe somebody here can help me.

I'm getting ToonSD(71) on 225000KHz and ToonHD(771) on 699000KHz. However the HD channel is simulcasting the SD content because it's 480i and matches the 71 channel guide, not the 771's guide. I know I got ToonHD properly before because it was when the OC TAs came out and I got a CC installed for the first time. I've also recorded content in 1080i.
So here's the semi-"official" line I got back from Cox finally:

Cartoon Network made the "decision to start delivering content in standard definition and not high definition" at least for either Cox, or the Pacific market, and nothing related to my m-card (which they tried sending 2 clueless techs to take away and replace with s-cards).

Also, the guide data is wrong due to their "guide vendor". Right, sure ...

Not sure why this wasn't announced, and why they still list TOONHD as HD, and why bother putting it on SDV? ...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #1918
Exige240
Tivo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball View Post
You are correct, the S3/HD/HDXL are stand alone and have no option to interface with and control a STB.

You can, however, hook up a STB to your TV as well as as the TiVo on separate inputs and switch between them when you want to use functions that are only available on the STB (On Demand, PPV).
That's what I just did. I just got my Tivo's and had the cox tech out to set them up this week. I told them I wanted them to pick up my 2 cox dvr's and bring 2 Cox Hd boxes, that way we can just switch inputs on the Tv when we want use on demand.

When the tech came he said I could keep my Motorola 6412 dvr and they could just send a signal to turn off the Dvr functions. I tried to bribe him with beer and pizza to leave that portion on, but he wasn't hearing it.lol My other dvr was a newer Motorola 3416 which he said they wouldn't just turn off the dvr since it has a larger internal HD and it was in higher demand.

The new hd box I got was about 1/4 the size of the older Motorola boxes and it does have a cable card in it(so did the 3416), it has no buttons on it and have to use a remote now. The tech told me the new dvr version of that exact box is supposed to have a 240 gig drive in it and they are testing Tivo's software on it at his place.
Exige240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #1919
Warrenator

Just an update about my issue. I got a new HDXL box, Cox technician came out and installed a single stream card (s-card), when I asked why not put in a multi-stream card (m-card, a Motorola), he said, "oh, did you want one of those?" and put that in instead. He then hooked up the tuning adapter (also Motorola) and made a series of phone calls and fiddled with his Blackberry to get everything initialized and whatnot. But it would not tune certain channels like 743 (MTV HD) or 746 (Travel Channel HD) and he said maybe those are on a tier you don't get. When I said but I get them on regular TV, he pulled out a year old channel guide, said none of these are listed on my guide, and tried to call the office again, nobody would pick up on the tech support numbers he called, so he said, why don't you call "Digital Ops" on Tuesday. (This was Saturday of a 3 day weekend.)

So I emailed Big Tuna (user here on TCF) because he said he had the self-install instructions to set up the tuning adapter, he sent them right away. Here's what they say:

1 Make sure the connections are going to the right place, cable into the tuning adapter, tuning adapter out into the tivo, USB hooked up, power on.

2. Call Cox to activate at 1-866-248-9585

3. When activated, the red light should flash and go out, when the amber light is flashing it means activation is incomplete, when the amber light goes steady it means it is activated and ready.

4. Tivo box message came on and said tuning adapter installed, you can go to a menu and test the channels.

5. When the tuning adapter box is working properly the amber light will be steady on, and the red light will flash when you change a channel to a SD channel. The red light means the tuning adapter is communicating with Cox.

6. If all that doesn't work the Cox line for Tivo tech support is 1-866-318-0965

I had to call Cox tech support and they reactivated my tuning adapter, it all works great now.
Warrenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #1920
boywaja
Splendid Isolation

Turned on the TV tonight and received a message that cablecard 2 is upgrading firmware. That was 4 hours ago.

Anyone else with Cox Fairfax seen their card's firmware updated recently?
boywaja is offline   Reply With Quote